homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is THAT time of year. Some people wait all year for it, and others wait all autumn for it to be over. Check out the previous Knockout Quizzes to avoid any shocks. You are about to enter what can become a compulsively addictive competition that is treated with great amusement by those of us that know it.

The basis of the contest is that everybody sets out on a journey but only one person arrives at the destination, the others falling by the side of the thread as it winds its way through month after month.

Enough - I have given you too much information already - I shall provide you with a brief resume of the rules:

1. QMs ruling is final (unless the appeal is funny or entertaining)

2. You must provide an example of the chosen topic

3. Some choices are better than others

4. There are some things I have not told you so listen to the other contestants

5. This competition is for amusement only. Anyone taking it seriously will be mocked mercilessly.

6. I must write these rules down somewhere

So - to enter - and I will PM all my regulars - you have to follow the instructions for the opening round:

CELEBRITY ANAGRAMS

You must post an anagram of the name of a celebrity.

At the end of the opening round I will get you all to PM me and the person(s) who has worked out the most actual names will be awarded points that may help their cause.

As usual, I am playing too, so my entry for this opening round is:

DOG

(I like to make it easy to start with - you do not have to)

[ 26. August 2013, 18:39: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
EJCardiff
Shipmate
# 12289

- Posted      Profile for EJCardiff   Email EJCardiff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a fun one

That great charmer

[ 31. August 2007, 20:09: Message edited by: EJCardiff ]

--------------------
In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat apud Deum, et Deus erat Verbum. Evangelium secundum Ioannem

Posts: 103 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Severely Lisp.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weathered Hawker

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am I the only one who immediately looked for their copy of Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass?

My offering: Leaning Am I

This could help you create your anagrams...

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
radagasty
Shipmate
# 11628

- Posted      Profile for radagasty   Email radagasty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
a drenched forest sow

By the way, how does one check out previous knockout quizzes?

Posts: 78 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mojo Nest

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fresh Prep Veld
Ther is nowhere to hide...

2006 (and beyond) Quiz Site

2005 and 2006 Quiz reside on the first page of Limbo.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2005 Link
2006 Link
Unrelated but Still Funny

Hope this makes up for the first typo of the quiz. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Neath Barmen Chorale
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An allegorical dew.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Geez! A flat drill.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enable Thee Quiz

[Yipee] squeal!!!!!! [Yipee] I'm glad the Quiz of all Quizzes is enabled!

[Overused] Bless you with thousands of Blessings, O wondrous and gracious Quizmaster! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A jumble is she.
And long will she take to end.
Quizers bear your wits.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may be helpful for people to have a list of celebrities to help them solve the anagrams. This is one of the most comprehensive, arranged by alphabetical order.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How helpful Paul, Chorister and Patdys have been. It pays to be helpful in this game, as well as smart. I seem to remember there being something else it's good to be, but I forget what it is..

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Ah, now I remember. There's nothing new under the sun...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
... I seem to remember there being something else it's good to be, but I forget what it is..

I think the word you are looking for is addicted.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A blob rigours ho stout

For the past week or so, I've been checking Circus over and over, just having this bizarre feeling that Quizzie (PBUH) was warming up his quizzical antennae. Huzzah!

Let the Zeta Squirm Fest begin!

comet,
A Cogent Heifer Truth

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think you may be the first I've heard say that! [Biased] at least this week.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think you may be the first I've heard say that! [Biased] at least this week.

ETA: Drat! [Biased]

[ 02. September 2007, 05:09: Message edited by: rugasaw ]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Presbyterians

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My anagram:

Kale Aeon Yin

Thank you, Paul W., for being helpful.

Quizmaster, thank you for hosting this wonderful quiz yet again. Bri--offerings are in the mail. [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How wonderful that the quiz is back with such an intelligent, handsome witty quizmaster. Greetings, fellow contestants.

My anagram:

Manioc Wheel

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Like Comet, my quiz sensor has been tingling for a few weeks (and no, it wasn't just the contractions, Comet!)

My humble offering: Bleach Clad Hair, better known as Angry Cart.

Let's get ready to work it all out!

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A ban comes bigger

Has something in common with our beloved QM.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right. I don't know if I should do this, considering that I'm going away for a while in a week, but just in case I manage to find an internet connection while I'm gone:

a zit squerm

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
dl's just sucking up!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
predictable but....

O am rich man, bravo!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't get your first one, icklejen, so will work on the second one instead.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

lol! the first one was a comment, only the one in bold was an anagram!

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Damn, that's me wrong then.

Mutters 'Plucks Nudist Jugs' 'Plucks Nudist Jugs'

Just as well really.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My entry...

You'll need to be quick to catch this one directorily:

Softie Eh Um

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
My entry...

You'll need to be quick to catch this one directorily:

Softie Eh Um

I don't plan on being quick so I think I will concentrate on those "nudist jugs" of PADYS.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
so, has anyone broken out the scrabble letters, to better visualise and solve the anagrams ?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

can't find my scrabble game. the boys and I ar using the magnetic letters on the fridge. [Big Grin]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

I wonder how people have defined "celebrity"? Chorister's list has only 9229, and some of the chosen ones are not there. Well, one anyway.

Of course, some contestants might try to get an advantage by reanagramming* the words.

* Is that a word? Oh well, it might not be hard to figure out what I mean.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
COLLECTING CONTESTANTS

I usually allow a couple of weeks so that we do not miss those who are on holiday in week one. You have another week before we start to eliminate people (in the nicest possible way).

To make the second half of the collection period a little bit interesting and not so difficult for those who detest anagrams, and to give newbies a proper taste of what the Knockout Quiz is all about you should all select an example of

HISTORICAL CHARACTERS

You must choose a character that was born before 1900 and although there will be no elimination this time the elimination rule is that the person who chooses the character whose age on death is the median average (MIDDLE) of all the characters chosen will be (NOT THIS TIME) eliminated.

For education purposes a link to the life story of the character on the internet will earn bonus points.

I tried this site to find out who I should choose

Historical Character Quiz

So I choose Julius Caesar

Life story is here:

http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/caesar.html

fixed your allegedly scroll-lock-breaking link - WK

[ 08. September 2007, 20:08: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

I will go for a safe Methuselah

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will take a chance on a man who was 65 when he died.

My man, the magnificent and prolific (in several ways) Johann Sebastian Bach!!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Oh, Quizmaster...are we to PM you with our solutions to the celebrity anagrams at this time?

And, has everyone said hello?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Queen Elizabeth I lived for 69 1/2 years, from Sept. 1533 - March 1603.

For those wanting to bring down the average age by a long chalk, this list might be helpful

[ 08. September 2007, 14:59: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I'll go young - Lady Jane Grey - sweet sixteen when she lost her head.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

Richard Mulcaster died age 80, a great football advocate

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

I shall choose Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who was 53 when he died.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I'm feeling Dangerous...

(Though Methuselah should skew the results nicely...)

Judy picked her man Bach, so I'll pick my man Poe. Died at age 40, possibly from drugs, cholera, rabies, suicide.... or all of the above?

Autumn always makes me re-read Poe. There's something about chill winds and dark nights and bare branches....

for those who like interesting characters, a few Poe highlights:
  • he would be considered a pedophile nowadays - married his 13 year old cousin. (Didn't Jerry Lee Lewis do that also?)
  • he died after being found in the street, delirious, wearing someone else's clothes and calling out the name "Reynolds". no one seemed to know who Reynolds was.
  • His main biographer has been discredited as a man with a big fat grudge - so all the stories of Poe being a druggy may just be a sour grapes thing. or maybe they're true!
  • Every year on Poe's birthday, a figure slips into the cemetary and drinks a toast to Poe at his graveside, leaving a bottle of cognac and 3 roses.

that's enough for now... something's rapping at my chamber door...

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

hmmm.... I wonder if a Circus Host were to correct Quizzie's code to fix the scroll lock, would that Host get Helpfulness points?

something to ponder....

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

well, doesn't break the scroll lock on my monitor, but thanks for telling me.

P.S, current average is ~185, so icklejen is currently closest

[ 08. September 2007, 20:05: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marie Antoinette, who was guillotined at 37 and who never actually said, "let them eat cake".
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:

P.S, current average is ~185, so icklejen is currently closest

Is it? QM said median, which I think makes it 59 (not counting Julius Caesar who doesn't have an ages listed).

Dragging it down a tad, I'll be wimpish and go for Edward V of England (one of the princes in the tower) who probably died when he was 13.

[ 09. September 2007, 00:03: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016