homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007 (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
True to form I can safely say about PATDYS ....

"I did not see that coming".

I could call him a coward for being unable to make a call but I will call him brave for the self sacrifice so typical of heroes in games like this.

We will have to make this into a film now.

Eliminated:

Pure as Snow

Qualifiers:

Ann
Caty the Southerner
Comet
Davelarge
Doublethink
Flags Fiend
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Lady A
Rugasaw

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[coff] coward [/coff] [Razz]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND FOURTEEN : QUIZMASTER

In this round you have to take on the guise of the Quizmaster (no easy task) and post a round of your choice together with the rule and the qualifying element.

I shall be looking for structure, content, ease of understanding, ease of misunderstanding, and the subject which should be as different from all the other rounds as possible.

I am able to and I will make a call so one of you will be eliminated.

Please post as if you are the quizmaster because I may simply copy your post for future rounds.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Pssst, chickle, look here.
(But I bet you already knew that [Biased] )

Actually, I didn't know about that, PATDYS, so you should get a point for being helpful. And now that I understand what this new job would entail...

See, I thought I could just lay around all day in my pink sock monkey jammies, be a Smartypants, eat a few bon-bons, and collect a fat paycheck, but no... this would actually require work.

It's not that I have anything against work--in fact, I just started a new job a couple months back--but I'm not sure my new boss would be very tolerant of having to share my attention with the KOQ. Maybe next year (when the new boss is potty-trained)?

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Patdys, you are a gentleman with the wiles of a cad. I salute you!

(My round will follow once I've done some thinking...).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chicklegirl, your new boss is adorable!!!

PatDYS, you are amazing! What an angel!

Dear QM, I foresee a sleepless night while I ponder this challenge.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd sing your praises PATYDS but I know this just frees you to be weirder than before. Watch out Comet he's coming after you.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND UMPTEEN: PIRATES

Choose a pirate and justify why your pirate is the most evil of all pirates. The poster with the least evil pirate will walk the plank.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND ELEVENTY-SEVEN: REVISIONIST HISTORY

Name one event in the history of the world that you would change. Provide a link to a description of that event. Explain how you would change that event, and why. Tell us how the world would be different today with your change.

The argument must be clear and brief. The more obscure the event, the better.

The least convincing argument gets the guillotine.

[ 31. October 2007, 04:34: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A belated sig for PATDYS from the spa in the Also-Ran balcony.

"Never jump in a pile of leaves with a wet sucker!"--Linus, "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
UNLUCKY ROUND 13: LEAST FORTUNATE JOBS

For this round you must nominate the most unpleasant, unfulfilling, unenviable job imaginable. The caveat: you must provide a link to documented proof that the job exists. Bonus points for photographic proof. Extra bonus points if it is actually your job and you provide a picture of yourself at work.

ETA: Thanks, JJ! (she is, isn't she?) The hours and the pay are terrible, but the bennies include hours of snuggling, so my job satisfaction is way up there! [Big Grin]

[ 31. October 2007, 06:05: Message edited by: chicklegirl ]

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In keeping with my avatar:

Round unspecified - Nebulae

• Each contestant shall post a link to a nebula.
  • When all contestants have entered, a vote shall be taken to determine which is the most beautiful. Each contestant will rank all entries from the most beautiful to the least beautiful.
  • The contestant whose nebula is considered the most beautiful will be eliminated.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Making music together

Pick a musical note. Sharps and flats are allowed.

I will then play your chosen note, along with the notes posted both before and after yours, , to make a 3-note chord.

The person whose chosen note makes the worst sounding chord will be eliminated.

To give the first posters something to match with, I shall provide a "D" as the first note. - this will also be used as the 3rd note for the final contestant

given that we may have more contestants than there are notes, you may pick the same note as someone else, but this must not result in 2 identical notes in a chord.

[ 31. October 2007, 09:53: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND X: PLANTS

You must find seven flowering plants. You must link to pictures of each of those plants in flower. Each link must include the botanical ('latin') name of the plant, and you should also list the seven botanical names in your post. The flowers on the first plant you link to must be red, on the second they must be orange, on the third yellow, the fourth green, the fifth blue, the sixth purple and the seventh white.

You must not choose more than one plant from any genus, or any plant already chosen by another contestant. You may choose a different subspecies or variety of a species chosen by another contestant.

The total number of letters in each set of seven botanical names will be added up; the contestant with the median number of letters will be eliminated.

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND FAUX: ATMOSPHERIC PHENOMENA

Choose an atmospheric phenomenon and post a link to a picture and a separate link to information about your choice.

You must also post the reason for your choice.

If someone fails to post, or fails to follow the instructions, that person will be knocked out. If everyone posts successfully, we will vote on the most interesting phenomenon.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!*

* pretending to be an Arsenal fan has tipped me over the edge!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND YUMPTY-TUM: A MEAL TO IMPRESS

You are entertaining someone you wish to impress - your boss, your future in-laws, the lady in charge of the flower arranging you wish to volunteer for; this is a meal for four.

Post recipes for the meal, which will include a starter, a main course and a dessert. The recipes should include preparation time and an approximation of the calorific value. You will get a point for each minute preparation time and each calorie in one portion (* show your workings). Time spent letting the meal get on without your supervision isn't counted.

The meal with the most points is eliminated.

* The other contestants can call foul if you underestimate either.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Round Twenty-two sevenths: picture hunt

Everyone must pick the (ship-)name of a shipmate and type it in to Google images. They then post a link to their favorite picture from the first page of samples Google gives.

Once everyone's posted, we then try to guess which shipmate each poster has posted a picture of. The quizipant eliminated will be the person whose picture garnishes the number of correct answers furthest from the median.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Round Robin

Everyone picks a type of bird , the person who picks the bird closest to the median score when the letters in its name are assigned values a=1, b=2,..., z=26 and added together is eliminated.

flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND ONE BILLION, THREE HUNDED AND NINE : EXPRESSIONS

Each contestant must post(in bold) a saying or phrase (such as 'a shaggy dog story', or 'out of the drying pan into the fire'), and invent a story behind it's conception and usage. Posts must include a link to the real history behind the phrase.

If everyone posts, contestants will vote on the stories. Each story will be marked out of ten for believability, humour, creativity and originality. Points will be deducted by Quizmaster if he has not previously heard of the expression.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PROCRASTINATORY ROUND: I'LL THINK OF A TITLE LATER

Each participant will post a link to an online procrastinatory activity. Each participant must then post a list, after 8:00am Friday British time, of how much time they wasted on each link before Thursday 10:00pm British time. The participant posting the link with the median total time wasted will be eliminated.

[N.B. Activity means some sort of interaction is required, reading is not enough, minutes will be added/deducted in the elimnatory direction for excessive pop-ups.]

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Photo Round
Please link to one image you like and write a brief paragraph about why you like it.

Everybody may rank each picture out of 10, where 10/10 means you like it a lot.

Lowest average score is out (score/number of people voting for the image).

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Round About:

Post a link to the craziest road sign. I will eliminate the one I think is most boring. And as an also ran, I can't eliminate myself. So one of you will have to go. LOLOLOLOLOLOL [Snigger]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Postal Flurry Round
All participants must post on this thread before the deadline. Assuming everybody does post before the deadline, the person whose most recent post prior to the deadline has the oldest (earliest) time-stamp will be eliminated.

The deadline for this round will be: Noon GMT, November 4, 2007.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Round 15: Quizzes

In this round you must post a link to a suitable quiz. This quiz must be able to be answered by anyone.

Everyone must post their answer to your quiz by PMing myself after all quizzes have been taken. Points awarded by myself for number of questions, though if there are too many, I may subtract points. All answers must be PMed to me by by 22:00 English Time on Friday (whatever date inserted here) along with your vote from favorite quiz to the one you'd never like to see again. Scoring will be on number of questions (see above), number of different answers and the vote.

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

I have a decision to make.

Take a 24 hour break.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Hey, hey, boss, did you hear that?

The nice man on the internet said I'm on a break. Yes, for twenty-four hours. Yes, that's why I'm not doing any work.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
I have a decision to make.

Take a 24 hour break.

Oh, the tension... you could cut the atmosphere with a butter knife...

[Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Betcha Quizzie is figuring out which is the hardest one and picking it for our next challenge!! [Two face]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

This one has proved tough and I am feeling the pressure but I have narrowed the loser down to one of three:

Comet
Icklejen
Lady A

The reason these three have been chosen is because of the complication. I prefer to keep it simple.

Any of these could form a round later in the competition.

So, in a rare display of power, I have to make a decision .....

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Eliminated for expecting too much of the contestants:

COMET

Qualifiers:

Ann
Caty the Southerner
Davelarge
Doublethink
Flags Fiend
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Lady A
Rugasaw

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Allow me to help.

[Cross post by one lousy minute]

[ 01. November 2007, 22:38: Message edited by: Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow ]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND FIFTEEN : NEBULAE

• Each contestant shall post a link to a nebula.
  • When all contestants have entered, a vote shall be taken to determine which is the most beautiful. Each contestant will rank all entries from the most beautiful to the least beautiful.
  • The contestant whose nebula is considered the most beautiful will be eliminated.

This one has absolutely everything I require for a Knockout Quiz round. Well done Davelarge.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

nebula with free bonus flowers.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eskimo Nebula.

--------------------
Ann

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The exotically named Abell 39.

Is it my imagination, or does it look like a jellyfish?

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How could one not love the Eagle Nubula in it's many forms? A more recent infrared image is even more amazing.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

Ann

Curious
# 94

Psst, Mertseger, did you miss the bit about the most beautiful nebula losing? In this round, there's safety in mediocrity.

--------------------
Ann

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Since I like the Pleiades Nebula this will insure that mine will not be most liked.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will pick Nebula 11

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall float off across the cosmic sea on the Bubble Nebula.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
I shall float off across the cosmic sea on the Bubble Nebula.

I would have called it the the Brain nebula.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Since yesterday was Hallowe'en, I would like to present the Ghost Head Nebula.

I guess it does look a little spooky!

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Psst, Mertseger, did you miss the bit about the most beautiful nebula losing? In this round, there's safety in mediocrity.

There's also safety in being an also-ran, but, yes, it's truly a beautiful nebula, isn't it?

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

A beautiful nebula is a terrible thing to waste.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
This one has absolutely everything I require for a Knockout Quiz round. Well done Davelarge.

Aw, shucks. [Hot and Hormonal] Thanks Quizzy [Axe murder]

My entry will be the boomerang nebula.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guarantee that QM will like this nebula.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Eliminated for expecting too much of the contestants:

COMET

*lower lip quivers... eyes well up...
assumes big eyed, forelorn look... *

okay.

*sniff*

I understand.

*snurfle*

I'll just be going then...

bubye now...

[Waterworks]

( [Smile] it's been fun! timing is good, real life was getting hectic. with this little gem, for example)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(From the grand land of Also-Ran.)

Round Infinity: Create A Universe

...utilizing your choice of the following:

--Moebius strips;

--Alchemy;

--Quarks (either the particles or clones of the "Star Trek: DS9" character");

--Moose and Squirrels;

--Left-over Halloween candy;

--Butterscotch pudding (extra points if homemade);

--Random flotsam and jetsam found in pockets and gutters, behind sofa cushions, and at the back of the fridge.

Create this universe within 24 hours. (God was such a slow-poke [Roll Eyes] ) Gather random people from the streets to help you make a brief video of the new universe, and post it on YouTube. Provide a WORKING link here.

Bonus points will be given if you create life directly or indirectly within the universe, or if it spontaneously occurs. You MUST provide a written explanation, in 25 words or less, of how the life occured. (We're NOT going to let creators get away with THAT mistake again.) [Mad]

Points will be deducted if any form of life from this universe winds up in your new one. I mean it. I really, really mean it. I mean it so much that I'll call PETA and report you.

Now go away, all of you, while I enjoy a well-deserved chocolate bar.

--"QM"

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

[Killing me] That made my morning GK! Now I can go to work with a grin, even at 5am!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016