homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: KOQ07 - Knockout Quiz 2007
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooops. That should be Brahman.

That's no bull. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
hey Comet,
Dave's not here

"They're all dead, Dave, everybody's dead."
Wonderful: you've converted an obscure US tv reference I don't get into an obscure UK tv reference I do! Thanks.

Even Kochanski?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favourites are the Red Ruby Devon breed, becauze them's local, me dear.

But seeing as I've been knocked out and no longer have to play by the rules, my tastiest entry is the all-singing, all-dancing (and probably madcow diseased)Anchor cows.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My choice for cattle is BueLingo . There is a lovely picture at the link given but there are more pictures here. . Aren't they pretty?

I chose the BueLingo because I thought they were really unusual. I also liked the description of the breeding, Ross Bueling started with a pair of dutch belted cattle and using his expertise..... [Biased] . Personally I thought the end result looked the same as the starting pair. [Razz]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll show you mine if you show me yours...
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Wonderful: you've converted an obscure US tv reference I don't get into an obscure UK tv reference I do! Thanks.

Even Kochanski?

Dave's not here, man. and it's not a TV reference, because there's no way they'd get those skits on TV. [Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Switching references.)

"What are you doing, Dave?"

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now as a Dave, may I suggest a Dave round?
Favourite quote from or incorporating a Dave. Just a thought.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ohhhh, that would give me a distinct advantage!

I can quote many dense things davelarge has said, including "well, why can't they ship our stuff direct to Winnipeg, why does it need to go in a van too?"

Or, so "babies are wrapped in their placentas, it keeps the fluid in."

ij x

PS, I'll go play nice now!

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, please carry on dishing the dirt.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My choice of cattle breed is the Aurochs which is thought to be the ancestor of all modern day domestic breeds. It is now extinct, the last specimen surviving to 1627, so it has the dignity of never having featured in a Big Mac.

Here is a picture of one from some caves in Libya and another which was created more recently for a TV documentary

I have chosen this breed because nobody else has.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My choice for this round is:

Qinchuan

The reason I chose this breed is that it is the only breed I can find beginning with Q.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
(Switching references.)

"What are you doing, Dave?"

my mind is going....I can feel it.

(stopping! but I second Patdys's suggested round, it could be fun)

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
my mind is going....I can feel it.

Switch on Talkeetna Radio then. [Cool]

I just did and started listening to the West Ham v. Arsenal match. [Eek!]

It was just like living in England. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

HAH! we air BBC overnight. sorry bout that. right now, you can hear New Orleans Jazz.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that New Orleans, Alaska? How did we miss that on our visit north last year? Yummm, white spruce and bear fat pralines.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talkeetna, the true multi-cultural capitol of the world.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched a show on Alaska last week and they were flying up to Denali on Talkeetna Air.

Maybe we should do a round with obscure airlines.

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

obscure, nothing! we're the true center of the universe. [Big Grin]

Judy - we've had Beausoleil play here twice, does that count?

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

It does indeed, comet! I don't believe they've been here to Fort Misery.

And Talkeetna is a very special place. The Alaska Railroad has a stop there. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course Talkeetna is the center of the universe, I was just thinking of all those other airlines that are not as blessed as Talkeetna Air. I found a list of defunct airlines that's pretty funny. Loved in Iran they had a 'Bonyard' airlines. I don't think I'd want to get anywhere in there! Or Cretan Airways that ran from 1993-1994, or Freshaer that went bankrupt before it even took off!

But nowhere do I see Talkeetna Air, so their place in aviation universality must be assured! But they may have competition, there is an Air Comet. [Angel] (closest smilie to a flying comet)

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn, I had hoped the next round would have started. Camping for the next three days. Oh well, time to be a nose (also ran).

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could always guess what the next round will be and post a suitably generic response to cover lots of possibilities. I'm going to guess 27.8... that or Beethoven's 5th.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
[Angel] (closest smilie to a flying comet)

I know it's a waste of time, but this inspired me.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know it's a waste of time, but this inspired me.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
You could always guess what the next round will be and post a suitably generic response to cover lots of possibilities. I'm going to guess 27.8... that or Beethoven's 5th.

This is genius. It opens up the way for a whole new class of brinksmanship - posting an answer before the round is announced.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, then, I'm going for 42.
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's not brinkmanship - that's cheating!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I'm going for the little known breed Blue Cow . A cow with curious tedencies - as you'll see from the link. Usually can be observed on Cbeebies at about 6.00pm every day. The things she gets up to are quite amazing! I'm not sure though if she produces blue milk. [Confused]
Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never seen a purple cow

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

IT GOES TO THE VOTE

You all now have until 22:00 on Tuesday 2nd October to send me your votes on the best reasons for choosing the breed.

Your vote should be PM'd to me and contain all the entries from 1 to 23.

Helpful advice: If I have a large list to categorise I pick out the top 5/7/10 and the bottom 5/7/10, perhaps the middle 5/7/10 then order each list separately - bingo!

The next round will start tomorrow after the results have been compiled.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

[Hot and Hormonal]

Like I said ..... 1 to 24.

[Paranoid]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
I've never seen a purple cow

what, like this ?

are you trying to say that you've never eaten Milka Chocolate ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

I think comet's comet should have one of those watusi horns on it instead of butterfly wings. Slicing through the universe, a unicomet!
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Sorry, I missed this. Here it is: It's six miles long, doncha know.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
IT GOES TO THE VOTE

quote:
Like I said ..... 1 to 24.

Is the also-ran choice to be included in the vote(24) , or not (23) ?

[ 02. October 2007, 08:46: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Is the also-ran choice to be included in the vote(24) , or not (23) ?

Yes.

Is there a handy list that some helpful person prepared?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Is there a handy list that some helpful person prepared?

Annie P - Blue cow
Rugmaker - Red brangus
Pure as the driven yellow snow - Miniature highland
Caty the southener - Jersy
davelarge - Texas longhorn
Hart - Santa Cruz
The Rogue - Aurocks
Icklejen - Draughtmaster
Quizmaster - Qinchuan
Nutmeg - BueLingo
Chorister - Red ruby devon
Smudgie - Junqueira
Lady A - Highland cattle
Comet - Watusi
chicklegirl - Blanco orejinegro
Golden Key - Braunvieh
Rugasaw - Angus
Doublethink - Salers
Sharkshooter - Charolais
Mertseger - Hereford
Ann - Limousin
Wet Kipper - ayrshire
flags_fiend - Vechur cow
Jedijudy - Santa gertrudis

Does that help?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ok, so I get the thing that it should be up to 24. But can anyone explain the "all the entries" bit? Surely if we need to vote, we're only going to send him one entry and reason? Or am I being thick? (yet again!!). Very confused [Confused]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Annie P, I understood the instructions to mean, "put all 24 entries in order of preference, from the best to the worst reason given by people for including their breed."

[ 02. October 2007, 13:39: Message edited by: caty the southerner ]

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or, "put your choice at the top of a list and everyone else's somewhere underneath."

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

Well, you could, but some of us have a greater sense of fair play than that.

[Says she who put her own entry in the top quarter and has little excuse for uttering such santimonious drivel. [Two face] ]

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

Ahhh, Ich verstanden!

Danke schourn (don't think that's spelt right)
I'll get to it soon. I'm sure if you put your own entry say as one of the top five, that's not too bad...

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Voting will appear here shortly.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Annie - it's Danke schön
(or schoen if you can't hold down ALT and press 148 on the keypad at the same time)

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The votes have been counted and here is the result:

FINAL TABLE AFTER THE VOTES WERE COUNTED

105 Rugasaw : Angus
121 Quizmaster : Qinchuan
127 Caty the Southerner : Jersey
129 Ann : Limousin
134 Mertseger : Hereford
148 Sharkshooter : Charolais
148 Wet Kipper : Ayrshire
154 Comet : Watusi
158 The Rogue : Aurochs
161 Davelarge : Texas Longhorn
163 Jedijudy : Santa Gertrudis
164 Pure as Snow : Miniature Scottish Highland
167 Annie P : Blue Cow
170 Smudgie : Junqueira
174 Lady A : Highland
179 Flags Fiend : Vechur
186 Rugmaker : Red Brangus
187 Hart : Santa Cruz
187 Nutmeg : BueLingo
188 Doublethink : Salers
188 Golden Key : Braunvieh
189 Icklejen : Droughtmaster
208 Chorister (A/R) : Red Ruby Devon
212 Chicklegirl : Blanco Orejinegro

This means Rugasaw was the favourite choice and we have to say goodbye to last year's winner, Chicklegirl.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND FOUR : AIRLINE ROUTE MAPS

quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
Maybe we should do a round with obscure airlines.

In this round you have to pick an airline and post a link to their route map. The map should be clear and easy to read, and we should be able to count the number of routes on show.

The map with the most routes on display will be the one that qualifies for elimination. We are looking for obscure airlines that are big enough to have an online routemap but small enough that there are not many routes.

Good Luck!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

it was a tough choice, but I had to go with S7 airlines because the route map is so spiffy.

yes, the routes are there, put your mouse over the city. see? nifty, huh?

and their english language website is so PERKY, Too!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New England Airlines has, count 'em, one route, from Block Island to Westerley (and back) - see - between the two blue indicators, almost on top of one another.

Here is the airline's home page.
This has some small airlines to look up.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boston-Maine Airways as it used to be a big airline but now it is small [Smile]

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

Zoom Airlines , my family will be using it to get from London to Winnipeg over the next few years, for just a few hundred pounds a go.

ij x

(28 routes)

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016