homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Universities - Watch out here they come!! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Universities - Watch out here they come!!
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another trick is if they have a freezer then get her a couple of ice blocks, that way by using them alternate days she can keep her margarine cool enough in her room.

Another is if she finds people nicking margarine might be to find somewhere that supplies cooking marg (which often is milk free) and use that for a while. Like soya milk you would not eat it, if there were other options.

Another trick would be to get her one of the cooker top espresso makers and a whisk. Then if she wants a milky comfort drink she can make herself a soya milk latte. For some reason frothed soya milk does not curdle the way straight does when in contact with coffee. Oh and use straight brown sugar instead of chocolate flakes.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, never underestimate the power of powder in communal living. At uni I not only drank rather a lot of instant coffee, I also drank instant tea (no rotting tea bags in the paper bin in my room) and powdered milk (doesn't go off, can be kept in room).

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The item I couldn't have lived without in my first year in halls was... my Swiss Army Knife. It served me so well and was so far superior to the crummy can openers supplied by the uni that it was my can opener of choice for the next three or four years (and would still be if some Glasgow scoundrel hadn't stolen it [Waterworks] ). A multitool like that means you're pretty much set up when you need a can/beer bottle/wine bottle opened, discover you didn't bring any scissors, haven't got any kitchen knives, find a rough edge on your furniture that's going to catch on all your clothes, need to pluck your eyebrows... the list is endless! [Big Grin]

Back in the wilds of 2001 I trundled my fully-laden little 2CV 500 miles up to uni for the first time all on my own and it was next to no bother - yes, the rooms were a little cell-like, but I'd been sharing a concrete hut in Africa with four other girls during my gap year, so it was no hardship.

I think my best move during the year was allowing my room to be the storage room over the holidays in our flat of six - meant that I only had to move in once and out once where everyone else had to do it three times.

Blessings on anyone travelling to uni for the first time this year, and on their parents too,

TTP

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She's in a room in a shared flat, 6 bedrooms, bathroom, lounge and kitchen between 6 students, separate room (cell), which is why the worries about food. We were remembering how vile soya milk is in tea earlier, and reckoning that would be safe in the fridge.
What about a small camping or bar fridge in her bedroom. I had one that was the size of 2 computer mini-towers side by side. You could even sit a microwave on it too or kettle and toaster oven.

[ETA: When I was at college, one of the students had a toolbox style container with a padlock on it with her items in the fridge. This was 'cos she used to buy superior food items that were preyed upon by the rabble]

[ 24. August 2007, 12:54: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Another trick is if they have a freezer then get her a couple of ice blocks, that way by using them alternate days she can keep her margarine cool enough in her room.

My hall (catered) actually expected us to do this. In my first year, lots of people had fridges in their rooms which were against the regulations but there were only 4 kitchens for the 259 of us so in my second year they put chest freezers into two of the kitchens and we were supposed to use them for our ice blocks. I did, I found I had to change them morning and evening which was fine except if I was out past midnight when the kitchens were locked (to stop drunk people burning toast and waking us all up with yet another fire-alarm).

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if you don't smoke, get a lighter. I've saved many a surprise birthday party with this habit. (Insert standard warning/disclaimer re: open flames, safety, regulations, etc.) OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If attending any University on the West coast, be sure to pack your umbrella. The wettest cities are always those where the university accommodation is as far away as possible from the lecture hall.

My most useful item (casts mind back many years) was a pair of hiking boots. But then it was Cumbria.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not forget a dressing gown (or sarong style thing) as you will have a communal bathroom and towels are never big enough.

(Also for fire alarm call outs in the middle of the night.)

[ 25. August 2007, 18:47: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Sorry to double post, but I've just thought of an All Saints type question relevant to this thread!

There will in fact be 3 lads from my son's sixth form going to Nottingham. One of the others is a committed Christian who will certainly be getting involved in the CU and a church. My own son has never actually made a commitment, but has been attending church regularly all his life (he doesn't attend the same church as me these days, but goes to a different Baptist church, with his girlfriend). I was wanting to know if/how I could encourage him to link up with a church in Nottingham, without getting too 'heavy' or pushy, and wondered if I ought to ask the other Christian lad from school to invite him along to church or something. Or should I just leave it up to him, if he wants to?

Might be best to go carefully (I'm thinking back to when I was his age). If he's still going to church voluntarily at age eighteen I'm guessing he must have some interest... [Biased]
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you might have to consider the other side of the coin too. A good friend of mine from university (and he still is a good friend, Deo gratias) attended his local church before he arrived in September. He is Orthodox, so probably missed celebrating Christmas (I think winter term started on January 4th that year)

Just before Easter - the Orthodox one - he came running in to see me in a great panic.

Pete, Pete, my parents are coming to visit for Easter. Do you know where an Orthodox church is??

I said yeah, I do. Just walk out the university gates, turn right, and look across the street (We were the first building inside the gates, so about a 5 minute run if he was ever in a hurry. Which he obviously never was.)

[Big Grin]

[ 27. August 2007, 16:42: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taking daughter No1 tomorrow first thing. Feeling really odd and worried that she's suddenly developed an ear infection. For those that pray could I ask that you pray for her health? Thanks.

As for all the practical things, we're pretty much all packed and have all the additional things that have been mentioned here so thanks for the collective advice.

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Posts: 779 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would recommend taking a pen drive.

Also send lots of post, parcels, letters, etc. I'm currently at uni and post is v exciting (except if it is a bill), and a parcel is even better.

When I first went to uni, my mum hid a small soft toy with attached stowaway label, I found it after a week of being there (too busy to unpack) and it made me smile [Smile]

flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's vital to pack ear plugs - so you don't hear the cheer as they shut the door and shout 'Hooray, freedom at last!' [Biased]

--------------------

Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nearly ready, going on Thursday, bought all the cooking gear and had a last minute clothes shopping trip on Sat when he realised he had very few which fitted.

Online enrolement done, room, bank Ac and loan sorted.

Farewell tour to Grandparents done. Course choices worked out and seem ideal for him. I think he is ready to go, it has dragged on rather too long since results. His friends (those who are going) have now started to drift off, it is going to be really strange for the few left behind. We shall miss him, he's a great guy and his Uni are very lucky.

One last piece of advice from someone at the same Uni, Take a door stop, the college flats all have sprung firedoors and moving in can be awkward.

[Votive] for all those on their way, for their parents and for those who aren't going and will find all their friends have disappeared.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Petrified:
Take a door stop, the college flats all have sprung firedoors and moving in can be awkward.

Now I remember; that's what text books are for!
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem is, based on the advice here, we haven't bought any textbooks [Confused]

He served his last Mass until Christmas yesterday and was mentioned at the start and during the sermon. Yesterday's Gospel was the prodigal son [Eek!]

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
quote:
Originally posted by Petrified:
Take a door stop, the college flats all have sprung firedoors and moving in can be awkward.

Now I remember; that's what text books are for!
No. That's what fire extinguishers are for!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Handy hint: If you can, freeze bread in packs of four slices, lasts longer.

And it may sound obvious but remembering to lock the front door is a Good Idea. We had a couple of students in my uni house in the first year who did not realise this. So we all woke up one morning to find all the bottle openers had been nicked from the kitchen and quite a lot of food splashed all over the place. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two useful tips I thought of on my way home from work yesterday. Bit late maybe...

1. If they want to get a student discount in a shop then ask before they pay. Better still, before the goods are rung through the till.

Apparently at one of our local shops this week someone bought about 20-30 items, paid, left, then walked back in and asked if they could get a student discount! [brick wall]

2. If they have to do paid work in term-time, then make sure the hours can be arranged around the lecture/tutorial/lab timetable. From personal experience, even a post in the same department had the occasional hiccup, and some external employers of friends were less than happy about deadlines and 9am lectures being more important than overtime shifts finishing at 1am.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... and tutors might be less than happy about students missing meetings because of work!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How are all the students out there doing?

My daughter appears to be doing well although I embarrassingly started to cry in Waitrose as I randomly bumped into a primary school teacher of hers and told her she was at uni!

Been through a bit of a grieving process this week and even my middle daughter said that she missed her and they have nothing in common and used to fight like cat and dog!

As far as the suggestions in this thread are concerned they were all good. Lauren says that all of them in the flat have brought washing up liquid with them so they never need to buy the stuff ever again. Next time I may well be less well prepared.

Not sure if it was mentioned here but we forgot to take an ethernet cable and had to go and buy one from Maplins. The guy in the store seemed to think that it was the thing that everyone forgets so for those of you who have offspring yet to go, don't forget to pack it!

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

If it's any consolation to the parents who are missing their offspring, if they enjoyed home that much you will discover that the university holidays are long and regularly interspersed with reading weeks (which are not, of course, for reading [Biased] ). And, of course, your Sunday lunches are the best in the world. You will soon begin to wonder whether they ever did, in fact, leave home.....

--------------------

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be too late for this, btu if anyone is listening.

I know a lot of people with big packs of StudentsFirstKitchen stuff. I have managed far better with a small selection of choicer items.

No one really needs four separate cheap saucepans, unless they intend to make four types of mash, each in slightly smaller quantities than the last. What they could do with is one medium sized decent quality and thick bottomed pan. I use three pans, one Medium Le Cruset, one deepish circulon french skillet and a big hob safe casserole. The Casserole had previously belonged to my uncle, the Le Cruset I ebayed (ouchy postage though) the circulon was a gift and (as far as I know) bought knew. I also brought a load of other stuff, which as I realised I a) didn't need it, and b) didn't have room, ended up at home.

I would also counsel the purchase of one good knife. The sets with a dozen are usually useless, you can get a decent quality one (Ikea do some nice ones) for the price of a pack, and they make cooking so much easier.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What arrives really depends on the other students - my daughter is in a flat with three international students who flew in with minimal luggage and were asking about shops for plates and bedding. As far as I can tell she's the only one with any pans so far, although the Spanish girl was asking for the English vocabulary. This is going to get more interesting as the microwave is faulty and we were making coffee by boiling water in a pan, rather than the kettle on the same circuit, which the microwave had thrown.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your daughter should find out where the fuse box is pronto. The sooner she knows that the sooner she will be able to deal with all the times a fuse is thrown. For instance when they all put their kettles on in their rooms at the same time!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frozen Flowers
Shipmate
# 12726

- Posted      Profile for Frozen Flowers   Email Frozen Flowers   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:
I would also counsel the purchase of one good knife. The sets with a dozen are usually useless, you can get a decent quality one (Ikea do some nice ones) for the price of a pack, and they make cooking so much easier.

I couldn't agree more. I came up to uni two years ago with a set of cheap but useless knives. I was a totally inexperienced cook, and was massively put off any "proper" cooking by how long it took to chop anything. I had assumed this was just because I was rubbish at basic skills. Real Ale Methodist made me a buy a decent knife and I haven't looked back since. I couldn't believe what a difference it made.

If your kids are nervous cooks (and frankly, even if they aren't) then making sure they have a decent knife might help them get off to a good start.

Posts: 87 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son is in a fully catered hall of residence (a very nice one at that complete with oak dining room) so he hasn't taken any cooking equipment at all - at the last minute when we packed the car yesterday, my husband added in one mug and one glass and a couple of teaspoons - that's all! Surprised to find a fridge in the room though. He has a fantastic view over parkland, I'm really rather jealous!! His biggest problem (at the time we left him earlier today) problem was when he went to plug in his PC (from home) into the LAN, it said that it was not permitted because the security settings weren't good enough, or something. So I don't expect he's online just yet. We discovered that although sheets and duvet were provided, there was no duvet cover, so that meant a trip out to Argos this morning (at the same time we went to collect his new bike from Toys R Us - then had to assemble the bike outside the hall). We left him at lunchtime, but his girlfriend is staying with him until tomorrow - once she's come home, that's when its really going to hit him I think! Already it seems 'weird' at home without him here, not that we used to see a lot of him anyway, but to go into his room and find it so bare, just seems strange - this guy has lived with us for 18 years and suddenly he's not here any more!!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie Jon, the fuse system for the kitchen is in a locked cupboard outside the flat - she has to call maintenance, who have the key, and has done twice today, once while I was there. The fuse system for her room is on the wall and she knows how to reset the system here, so not a problem.

Gracious rebel - the university system at Nottingham means signing on as a student to get a password to get into the internet - tomorrow.

[ 23. September 2007, 19:57: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... I am wondering if my son is in the same hall of residence as Gracious Rebel's offspring. It used to be an all male hall. We had problems with TV reception - husband had bought some gizmo that goes on computers. Also finding somewhere to lock the laptop to when not in use - only place we could find was towel rail on the handbasin.

We took him to church this morning - very large evo congregation - not my thing, but it is within walking distance of the campus, so it is at least somewhere to start.

He hasn't sent either of us a text since we left him at 4pm today, so we are taking that as a good sign.

rosemary

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Rosemary,

If your son has gone to Nottingham too, my daughter's self-catering hall had student reps everywhere organising a welcome barbeque in the bar last night and making sure the new students were OK. I would expect that went on to closing time. I was sitting on the luggage waiting for my daughter to get through a queue and chatted to quite a few of the reps as they offered me tea and coffee (and beer, but that's because I was interested in the beer). I was sitting on the luggage to hide the duvet set, because lots of the international students either didn't know they needed one or hadn't got the luggage allowance to bring one over, and that was the thing people really wanted. The Indian girl in my daughter's flat didn't know she needed bedding.

I spoke to my daughter last night who has sorted out the faulty microwave that was fusing the circuit on that side of the kitchen. She is quite irritated with her flatmates for leaving her to deal with it and totally ignoring the maintenance guy when he was knocking to come in, even though their rooms are much nearer the front door. She's in a five bedroom flat with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, but their own bedrooms. She was back from the welcome barbeque when it got more alcoholic, being teetotal from necessity.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosemary - I don't think its the same hall - as far as I know my son's one used to be an all female hall. My husband was hoping to find a TV aerial point in the room (as there is a TV card in my son's PC) but no luck there - to be honest I thought that was expecting a bit much! So no need to buy a TV licence for him then!!

I did vaguely suggest that we went to try out a church in Nottingham yesterday morning (as we'd arrived the day before, and stayed over in a Travelodge, so had plenty of time) but my son, (and particularly the girlfriend) was not interested, would rather leave it for now, rather than turn up with parents I think!! As it happens we were busy buying and building this bike on Sunday morning. Would be interested to hear where the evo church is near the campus though, as I said I'd do a bit of research on churches and let him know some ideas.

Haven't heard anything from him yet since we left him yesterday lunchtime, but I expect he's fine.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Just thinking - we could have had a mini-shipmeet yesterday when we were all at Nottingham Uni couldn't we? Oh well, maybe another time!! [Biased]

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm now starting my second year in a Flat with some other Theology Students in Shepherd's Bush/Acton (we're sort of right in the middle)

I'm cycling everywhere now and it's fantastic! 10 minutes to Kensington - where my college is located!

At the moment I'm preparing to show all the fresher's around the college because they've all found me on facebook and want me to show them around (I'm the CU President you see)

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

He'll find his own feet if you give him some space, GR. Most 18 year olds find, sooner or later, that they are there at the end of their legs, where they've been all the time. [Biased]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
Just thinking - we could have had a mini-shipmeet yesterday when we were all at Nottingham Uni couldn't we? Oh well, maybe another time!! [Biased]

I did wonder about trying to set one up - and a Mystery Worship session too, but thought my offspring might murder me.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
(I'm the CU President you see)

Dear God above! [Roll Eyes] [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
(I'm the CU President you see)

Are you bragging or complaining? [Razz]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

You live in a cup?

--------------------

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that my husband would have been very keen on a mini-meet - I'd have to work on him.

Gracious Rebel - the church we went to was Cornerstone Church - there was a baptism plus evangelistic sermon, the latter lasting 45 minutes. I was a student at Trent nearly 30 years ago, and I went to an Anglican church, St Nic's - but being in the centre of Nottingham, is not nearly so easy to get to from Nottingham University.

rosemary

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Jengie Jon, the fuse system for the kitchen is in a locked cupboard outside the flat - she has to call maintenance, who have the key, and has done twice today, once while I was there. The fuse system for her room is on the wall and she knows how to reset the system here, so not a problem.

I am re wording a post. Let me say that I suspect that the current position with needing to call maintenance every time, will have changed by Christmas. IME maintenance guys do not like being called out at 10pm at night, because some student "forgot" the microwave was faulty!

I was fully informed by a porter precisely how to get a guest out of our all female hall of residence after midnight without setting off the fire alarms or banging on the warden's door when you did not have a late key.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

quote:
Originally posted by rosemary:
I'm not sure that my husband would have been very keen on a mini-meet - I'd have to work on him.

I know for a fact that mine wouldn't be keen either!! A few years ago we had a shipmeet at Alton Towers - I was there with Mr R and the boys, but they would not come with me to meet these strange people from the internet, so I had to keep flitting between my family group and the Shipmates!
quote:

Gracious Rebel - the church we went to was Cornerstone Church - there was a baptism plus evangelistic sermon, the latter lasting 45 minutes. I was a student at Trent nearly 30 years ago, and I went to an Anglican church, St Nic's - but being in the centre of Nottingham, is not nearly so easy to get to from Nottingham University.
rosemary

Thanks for this, I'll send him an email with some possible churches to visit. This one sounds quite like what he is used to actually.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is quite possible that your young person will wish to choose - or not choose at all - his own place of worship. I certainly did, in my time, and ended up where my Mother would never have expected to find me. I'm still there, too. And the only one of my siblings still a Churchgoer.

I wouldn't push it. I saw other parents in my day assuming that their offspring would carry on as they had at home. They were disillusioned, oftentimes.

[ 24. September 2007, 22:51: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was meeting last night with the leader of our Brownies and the two other assistant leaders - both the younger assistant leader (the other is her mother) and the daughter of the leader are off to uni. However, the younger leader is going to one of the unis in our town, and is staying at home, and the other leader's daughter is getting a lift (sounds like two cars' worth) with all her stuff.

They were shocked that I had got the train (6 hour journey) to uni the first time I'd gone - I think I had two quite large suitcases, so though my aunt met me to take me to my hall, she did so in a taxi rather than their car.

I wasn't the only one, though I think other parents did bring their offspring, but I can't imagine my parents "finding" anything for me!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My son is in a fully catered hall of residence (a very nice one at that complete with oak dining room) so he hasn't taken any cooking equipment at all - at the last minute when we packed the car yesterday, my husband added in one mug and one glass and a couple of teaspoons - that's all! Surprised to find a fridge in the room though.

Fully catered halls doesn't mean fully edible [Biased] A fridge is a better alternative for milk (especially if you're never up in time for breakfast) and, as a former housemate of mine insisted, keeping one of the two pizzas ordered in an evening for breakfast the next day.

If there's a problem, he'll let you know. If there's a really really big problem (there won't be, but just so you know), the University will let you know. No news = he's having a great time!

And to all those parents out there: it took me 18 years to learn to live with my parents, and 8 weeks to forget...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I headed off to University (back when fire was a new invention) my mother insisted on bringing along three grocery sacks full of food, 430 miles from home. It was quite a shock to her to learn that they had grocery stores in Kentucky, too.

She also asked me why I wanted to go to that University when there was such a great school only a mile and a half from home. I told her there where 430 reasons. [Biased]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Campbellite! We're brothers! Except I only had 130 reasons. Definitely better than 25 though!

PS I loved Mother until the day she died. Sometimes, though, it was easier to do that from a distance than up close.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:

They were shocked that I had got the train (6 hour journey) to uni the first time I'd gone - I think I had two quite large suitcases, so though my aunt met me to take me to my hall, she did so in a taxi rather than their car.

That was much more normal 'back then'. I had to catch 3 trains and a bus with all my worldly possessions to a place 360 miles away (but then I'd had a gap year where I also had to find my way half way across the country with everything in 2 suitcases, so by then I was an old pro). My parents only visited me once during the 4 years as it was so far away. My two brothers, who were a few years younger, sent trunks in advance on the train - as that had become the norm by then. (Is this still possible? - I never hear of it now.)

Son the elder decided to study in Scotland so there was no way I could take him by car and get back in time for work, so he had to catch the train with rucksack, suitcase and trombone (apparently he parked the trombone in the loo as it was the only available space). So it is still possible to travel this way. Just get a Natwest student account and the young person's railcard comes free, giving significant reductions.

I think some of the difference now is that universities/students/families expect a large number of the students to be self-catering (thus needing duvets, pots and pans, etc.) plus to have a computer and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. None of these items are easy to transport. Another difference is that more mothers have cars, so the children have been used to being ferried around since birth. But if mum's taxi really isn't an option, it is always possible to buy these items in a university town or city when they get there, of course. Always assuming that there is storage provided over the holidays and you don't need to cart it all back again a few months later.

Yes, we were more independent, and did manage to cart our own stuff about, but I did land up in hospital one year for trying to be too clever and lugging too many heavy boxes of books from one student flat to another - on the other side of town. Trying to save money on a taxi, no doubt. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My daughter went by train - she carried her own stuff. I carried the bedding and the kitchen gear, which is why I went too, and booking in advance it cost £9 each on the way up and me £11 on the way back - cheaper than petrol.

--------------------

Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

Maybe us mums are a little more clucky over our offspring than the olden days [Biased] but I'm glad I've got a daughter who wanted to be far away from home. The trend these days is to go to the nearest uni and live at home. How to completely miss the point of being at uni. But of course the trade off is that you are less in debt at the end of it...

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not Too Bad:
Maybe us mums are a little more clucky over our offspring than the olden days [Biased] but I'm glad I've got a daughter who wanted to be far away from home. ...

I am, too - even if we're getting more than we bargained for; Ms M spending a term across the pond, and her 'possibles' for an MA later making my eyes water, (New York again, California, Switzerland) [Eek!] as well as good old London.

Anyway, only a week to go and we're off New Yorkwards to see what she's been up to! A little too far to be landed with taking her dirty laundry home to be washed! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016