homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2007 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2007 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One other name from my Sunday night listening is Carlo Ponti the husband of Sophia Loren.

The others have already been mentioned or died in December.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nobody though about Celebrity pets, did they ?

Mind you in this case he would either count as 17 (and therefore too young to pick), or the dog-years equivalent (119) and therefore not worth picking.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Art Buchwald is dead at 81. I've been thinking of him lately because a paperback copy of one of his Watergate-era works is on the top of a stack in my basement [Biased] .

The Nixon administration was an Excellent Time to be a humorist of any stripe, but especially a political one. I was a devoted reader of his syndicated column at the time.

I don't think anyone had him on their list (if I had known that he had kidney problems, I would have put him on mine) but I thought his passing should be noted. Well done, Art. Rest in peace.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Yvonne DeCarlo has just died. Did anyone have her on the list?

Charlotte

If I'd known she was still alive at year's end, I would have had her on my list. (Or not: she must have been worth negative points).
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Art Buchwald is dead at 81. I've been thinking of him lately because a paperback copy of one of his Watergate-era works is on the top of a stack in my basement [Biased] .

I don't think anyone had him on their list (if I had known that he had kidney problems, I would have put him on mine) but I thought his passing should be noted. Well done, Art. Rest in peace.

Charlotte

Oh, dear. I met him briefly when I was a child and won some kind of contest to receive one of his books. Never delivered, alas--I was told he had some sudden life-threatening illness. Glad to see that he made it thirty more years.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buchwald must have been made of steel - he refused dialysis for kidney issues in Feb of 06. Death is usually a matter of days in those cases.

As one of the SF Chronicle columnists said, he had a helluva final lap!

And LQ - La DeCarlo was 84. 16 points was all I managed last year and it took two "hits" for me to get that!

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

10. Ian Paisley - another promoter of hatred and communal violence in Ireland this time

... <snip> ...

12. Gerry Adams - just to be fair

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

<tangent>

There was a picture in the Weekly Telegraph (the expat version) of Gerry Adams hugging the widow of David Ervine, one of the Loyalist terrorist-turned-politicians. What is the world coming to?? [Confused]

<tangent>

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Art Buchwald was sadly missed when he stopped his syndicated column that even made it over here. A great loss.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, WW.

Might I nominate George H W Bush and Fidel Castro?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm afraid you're waaaaay to late to join in now, Sir K.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any of you old hippies have Denny Doherty (from The Mamas and the Papas)?
Doherty dies

Mrs Whibley

[ 20. January 2007, 20:39: Message edited by: mrs whibley ]

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
One other name from my Sunday night listening is Carlo Ponti the husband of Sophia Loren.

The others have already been mentioned or died in December.

[Biased] I believe I already noted that one on January 10!

quote:
I just heard on the radio that Carlo Ponti died today. I think they said he was 96 years old.

So...did anyone have him on their list? Four points?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry jj, I was supposed to be working, not playing at the time, so skimming at speed.

This week's list were:

Rev Bruce Kenrick, founder of Shelter (86)

Vincent Sardi Jnr, Sardi's Restaurant (91)

Antonella Marchioness of Lothian (84)

Alice Coltrane (69) musician

and they mentioned Chalkie, Rick Stein's dog, who was posted above.

et attribute Wet Kipper

[ 22. January 2007, 19:55: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nobody though about Celebrity pets, did they ?

Loved the obit for Chalky: the noble photo, titled "Chalky was not a fan of the postman"

and

"He got up to some mighty capers". That belongs on his headstone. Maybe I'll steal that line for my own.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anybody pick author Sidney Sheldon?

--------------------

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just heard that Frankie Laine has died. Looking quickly over the lists, I didn't see his name, but it's possible that someone had him. I think he's worth seven points.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When they said on the radio news this morning, my first thought was, "I didn't know he was still alive ... oh, he's not now."

Followed by, "Seven points for anyone with him on the list."

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

Anna Nicole Smith has died. She was on my list.

I admit to having made my list without a clear understanding of the rules. Can somebody fill me in, or point me to a website?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the main rule is that you get a point for each year the person was from a hundred (So Anna would be 100-39) unless the person is executed.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
Anna Nicole Smith has died. She was on my list.

I admit to having made my list without a clear understanding of the rules. Can somebody fill me in, or point me to a website?

Basically, it means that so far, you're in the lead for this year!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is from CNN (re: Anna Nicole Smith).

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
This is from CNN (re: Anna Nicole Smith).

I *thought* I heard that on the news, but I thought I must have imagined it!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm, I wondered who she was, and now I know. Not any wiser, but at least I have the gist.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do we reckon? Benzo OD?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wouldn't be surprised.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All that really matters is that Marmot has racked up a whopping 61 points for that one! Wow!

(Seriously, I'm sorry about ANS. What a sad life and what skewed values. I can't help but think her new baby daughter might be better off without her.)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shocked by her death, awed by Marmot's impressive start out of the blocks. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

Auntie Doris x

I was thinking heroin.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Was Marmot the only one of us to have the insight to add Anna Nicole Smith to her list?

Congratulations, Marmot!
Condolences to the family and friends of ANS.
(That poor baby.)

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
[Frown] I had a short list of about 50 people. ANS was on it. I chucked her off because she looked so darned healthy. Dang!

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

Auntie Doris x

I was thinking heroin.
Nah... too 'dirty' for her. Benzos and maybe booze is my guess.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got yelled at by Mr. Iz yesterday when I heard the news. Apparently "D'oh - she'd have got me 61 points" isn't the appropriate thing to say when someone dies young. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone have Ian Richardson? 28 points if you did.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
I got yelled at by Mr. Iz yesterday when I heard the news. Apparently "D'oh - she'd have got me 61 points" isn't the appropriate thing to say when someone dies young. [Hot and Hormonal]

Yah, my family is pretty appalled, too, especially since I'm expected to be the civilizing influence of the household.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

So, Marmot, were you dancing around singing: "Yay! I got 61 points!"?? [Biased]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sheridan Morley was worth 35 points.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We lost Celia Franca yesterday. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Why, oh why did you have to post that JJ?

The mental imagery is gonna send me into therapy for years! [Razz]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

The devil made me do it? [Devil]

I promise to repent...tomorrow! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone have Pascal Yoadimnadji ? Er ... yes, the Pascal Yoadimnadji [Big Grin]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just checking, am I still on nil points?
jedijudy

# 333

I think we're tied, FreeJack. [Biased]

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given that my entire list was based on (mostly) obnoxious celebrities who might die young, I can't believe I missed Anna Nicole Smith!!!!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Why, oh why did you have to post that JJ?

The mental imagery is gonna send me into therapy for years! [Razz]

Actually, I didn't. All I said was "The Ship has this annual Celebrity Death Pool..." and my men were horrified.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:

Looking back at your list, it seems like you were predicting gang warfare in the Anglican Communion. I'm rather surprised ++Rowen isn't on there. Surely he can't move that fast. Now ++Schori...youngish, trim, aviator with a good eye...

Alas, the Tanzania summit has come and gone and no "hits". [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
John Inman died [Waterworks]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Frown]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
David Dorey - sorry no links as yet. Not exactly a celebrity in the Real World™ but, like all good vergers, he was an eminence noir-avec-rouge tassly-bits at many great state occasions. As Dean's Verger of Westminster Abbey until 2002, he was, for example, seen overseeing the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales. He was, moreover, a supremely gentle and generous man, and will be much missed by those who had encountered him.

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:

Looking back at your list, it seems like you were predicting gang warfare in the Anglican Communion. I'm rather surprised ++Rowen isn't on there. Surely he can't move that fast. Now ++Schori...youngish, trim, aviator with a good eye...

Alas, the Tanzania summit has come and gone and no "hits". [Biased]

Rats, although I was right on the gang warfare, I forgot they were also pacificists.

Rowan has a druid-like cloak of invincibility made in the mining valleys of Wales.

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

Bradley E. Delp (June 12, 1951 – March 9, 2007) was an American musician best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Boston.

[ETA: This thread (or, God willing, its incarnations in the far future) is where I want my passing to be announced.]

[ 10. March 2007, 23:47: Message edited by: marmot ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016