homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Website Creation and related issues

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Website Creation and related issues
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do any of you use to create your personal websites? Does anyone use iWeb? What PC applications work best? What can I get for free or cheap that's any good in this regard? Advice needed!

[ 27. February 2008, 17:10: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of ISP's that give you webspace along with your internet access also have a set of tools to help you build your site. You might want to check that out first, depending upon how elaborate and large your site is going to be.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to take a look at what I can do with my mac.com account. But it might be better for my needs for now to use WordPress, even though I hadn't originally meant to write a blog.

It seems to me like a lot of the recommended web design packages (like Dreamweaver) are really expensive.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mountain Man
Shipmate
# 5115

- Posted      Profile for Mountain Man   Author's homepage   Email Mountain Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I create sites the old fashioned way with a text editor - normally vi!

However I doubt that is much help to you.

If your ISP gives you php and my sql functionality then there are a number of CMS (Content Management Systems) you can install such as :-

Mambo
Drupal

and the such like.

There are also various free HTML editors, but the quality of code this some produce is somewhat questionable.

When you get your website up and working remember to check it with a range of browsers, rather than just your normal one, to check it looks Ok in all them.

--------------------
Life is a mountain not a beach!

Me, My Blog, My Work

Posts: 320 | From: Coventry, United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also just used the Notepad that came installed as part of Windows. Though, my site is fairly simple (and in need of a bit of updating as I've not done anything with it for years [Hot and Hormonal] ). I suspect if I tried to do anything more sophisticated then I'll reach the limits of what's easy to do writing HTML in a text editor.

A few years back I got to use Dreamweaver to set up a site for work. To be honest, I found it not very intuitive and hard work ... I could get pages done OK, but I couldn't get them to look really good. I just couldn't get the control I can with writing HTML.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The former Macromedia Dreamweaver has been taken over by Adobe. It is hard to get used to, like Alan said, but I find it quite versatile and it generates clean code, unlike Microsoft Word's HTML editor, which generates abominable code.

There are several good third party Dreamweaver books on the market. It also helps to know at least a little HTML so you can understand the code that Dreamweaver produces and tweak it if need be.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too hard-coded my websites with a free editor called Script Edit. Otherwise, Google web pages are very very easy to get up and running albeit somewhat limited in scope, and free.

[ 05. December 2007, 21:02: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
It seems to me like a lot of the recommended web design packages (like Dreamweaver) are really expensive.

Dreamweaver retails for $399, and then you have to learn it -- my employer sent me to three full days of training, since I'd only ever used Notepad before. Unlike Alan, I really like it, but it's overkill for a personal site.

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
If your ISP gives you php and my sql functionality then there are a number of CMS (Content Management Systems) you can install such as :-

Mambo
Drupal

and the such like.

At my church we're going with Joomla, a relative of Mambo. I haven't played with it much yet, but it's supposed to be very modular, which seems like a good thing.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used TSW Webcoder for mine except the Javascript menu's and that was done using All Webmenus from Likno which did the job without me having to learn Javascript.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Mountain Man, vim or gvim (vi variants) are what I use.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I also just used the Notepad that came installed as part of Windows. Though, my site is fairly simple (and in need of a bit of updating as I've not done anything with it for years [Hot and Hormonal] ). I suspect if I tried to do anything more sophisticated then I'll reach the limits of what's easy to do writing HTML in a text editor.

I haven't done any really complex HTML, but I'm inclined to disagree - if you learn to do your coding with a text editor, you can leave out a lot of useless cruft that some software puts in for you. It may take longer to learn it, but I think it's worth it. And you can look at code other software generates, and have a clue of figuring out what's going on. An advanced-ish editor like vi (or I assume Emacs, for that side of the vi/Emacs war!) will flag problems for you visually - things like un-closed tags. My outlook on coding may be a bit skewed, I'm married to a software engineer/tester. [Big Grin]

For books, I am an O'Reilly fan, clearly of the raving variety. www.ora.com. Live it, know it, love it. We've got several shelves full of their goodies. I use the "HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide" "CSS: The Definitive Guide" (CSS is Cascading Style Sheets. Very useful, Yesss, Precious) "Web Design in a Nutshell" and the HTML/XHTML and CSS Pocket References. There's also a "CSS Cookbook", which has pre-written examples you are welcome to use in your own work. I haven't looked at it.

I can't say its High Art, but the silly site I poke at every once in a while is the mythical The Journal of Geek Studies. The other one people will have to PM me for, it's for our small business. Don't want to get a Hostly dope-smack for advertising. [Biased]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Dreamweaver retails for $399, and then you have to learn it -- my employer sent me to three full days of training, since I'd only ever used Notepad before. Unlike Alan, I really like it, but it's overkill for a personal site.

The difference may be that when I used it, our Computing Services guy installed it for us (and set up a small LAN with net access via an ISDN line) and left. I had more like three hours to learn it rather than three days, and without the aid of even a manual. Perhaps that unfairly biased my views of the software.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thought, I'm pretty sure that both my local park district and YMCA have offered classes on basic web design/popular software. So does the local community college, but it's a lot more expensive! If you can find a reasonably-priced class, that may also be of help with the decision-making process.

Also, if you've never looked at actual HTML, UBB Code bears a definite resemblance. In Firefox, if you right-click on a web page, one of the options is "view page source," which pops open a new window showing the actual HTML. IIRC you can do the same in IE, and I'm assuming other browsers. If you use it on a page that's mostly text, without a lot of fancy layout, you can probably figure out a lot of what's going on by logic, especially with the help of a list of common tags, like this one.

[hey! who stole my words!]

[ 06. December 2007, 14:34: Message edited by: Otter ]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suspect if I tried to do anything more sophisticated then I'll reach the limits of what's easy to do writing HTML in a text editor.

Gremlin and I both use text editors to create and maintain web pages. It is perfectly possible to use the fullest extents of html using text editors, and it is probably easier to use the fullest extents of dhtml (dynamic html) using a text editor rather than a web authoring tool.

Laura, what sort of things do you want to have on your webspace? Do you want to learn a coding language? Would you be happy editing and substituting bits of code copied from someone else's webpages?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're only ever going to write a handful of web pages, then the tools provided by ISPs, or even word processors, will probably do everything you want.

But if you are building a large site, or expect to do so, then in my opinion it's worth the effort of learning to code HTML, etc., the old way, with a text editor. Even if you never actually deploy any pages that way, at least you'll be aware of the limitations of that technology, which will make it easier to understand why it appears to be overly difficult to do some things. It will make it easier to understand what's going on inside Web authoring tools.

And HTML is hardly rocket surgery, anyway.

I maintain dozens of small web sites, and one very large one (> 5,000 pages). I do all this using a text editor and a bunch of Perl scripts I wrote myself. I never found any proprietary software that was able to manage the large site at all well; but they do a reasonable job where you have, say, between 10 and a couple of hundred pages.

My gut feeling is that if you have to produce a single web site with, say, a few tens of pages, you'd be able to do the whole thing with a word processor in a fraction of the time it would take to learn to use DreamWeaver, etc.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mountain Man
Shipmate
# 5115

- Posted      Profile for Mountain Man   Author's homepage   Email Mountain Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you take a look at this site it has some handy tutorials on how to code HTML and CSS among other things.

--------------------
Life is a mountain not a beach!

Me, My Blog, My Work

Posts: 320 | From: Coventry, United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laura,

(Wibblethorpe from the old days here)

I think your own suggestion, using Wordpress is a good one. (Wordpress.com is the hosted version, Wordpress.org is one one you install yourself - this needs a small amount of technical knowhow.)

Wordpress gives you the ability to set up a good looking site quickly, easily and for free. Using the 'pages' feature means that the main content doesn't need to be in blog form if you don't want it to be.

I've written more about this (for church websites in particular) elsewhere, but don't want to advertise the link in case Spike strikes me down. Feel free to send me a PM for the link.

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If people are interested in learning html, there is a very good set of tutorials available at W3 Schools. It teaches good practices and is in a fairly easily digestible form.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
I suspect if I tried to do anything more sophisticated then I'll reach the limits of what's easy to do writing HTML in a text editor.

Gremlin and I both use text editors to create and maintain web pages. It is perfectly possible to use the fullest extents of html using text editors, and it is probably easier to use the fullest extents of dhtml (dynamic html) using a text editor rather than a web authoring tool.
I suppose it depends upon definitions of "sophisticated". My site has, at various times, had response forms (so that my email address wasn't actually somewhere a bot could harvest it), a guest book, and a small discussion forum. Setting these up with a text editor (and info provided by my ISP on how their tools for that work) was easy.

I've no idea where I'd start with any sort of dynamic content such as having the font of links change as they're pointed to (or, for anything other than for them to be underlined) let alone something like a tag cloud (which is a concept I was recently introduced to and currently think is really cool). I guess such things would likely require a bit of programming - which I'm not adverse to, but is probably beyond what you can do with Notepad.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
I've no idea where I'd start with any sort of dynamic content such as having the font of links change as they're pointed to (or, for anything other than for them to be underlined) let alone something like a tag cloud (which is a concept I was recently introduced to and currently think is really cool). I guess such things would likely require a bit of programming - which I'm not adverse to, but is probably beyond what you can do with Notepad.

I'm making a slightly-educated guess that tag clouds are generated via programming from a database. Probably using a PHP/MySQL combination that reads the tags from the database, counts the occurance of each possible tag, assigns each tag a size (or whatever) based on that number, then throws them up on the screen (guessing that they're actually in a table, and the order isn't truly random). There's probably canned bits of code available, or will be soon enough.

Oooh, hey, I forgot I had the Web CD Bookshelf on my laptop... root root root... looking at Webmaster in a Nutshell, changing the font is done via CSS, defining a pseudo-class, which IIRC is pretty straightforward. In your stylesheet it would be something like:
A (colon) visited (open squiggly brace) color (colon) green; font (colon) whatever (close squiggly)
I think there's a bit more in the way of you have to put in to use pseudo-classes, but it's not too bad.

I was going to say that it's not rocket science, but then I remembered your avatar. [Big Grin] Anyway, shouldn't be any harder than the things you've already done, quite do-able in Notepad.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Excellent ... so all I need is a bit of time to play around with it then.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to play, I've used Lissa's site for a few things.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
I guess such things would likely require a bit of programming - which I'm not adverse to, but is probably beyond what you can do with Notepad.

No, that is exactly the sort of thing that Gremlin does at work, although he doesn't use Notepad, he uses vi. There is another text editor he uses (I can't remember its name) that shows the key words in different colours and flags un-matched tags.

None of the team use authoring packages because it will not let them do the complex things they are needing to so. Their work is pure programming, in JavaScript, DHTML and XHTML, with bits of other stuff thrown in too. This generates SQL queries and interprets/displays/formats the results.

This is a top flight team of programmers, with half of them having PhDs.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My website is handcrafted from the finest HTML and CSS, written entirely on Notepad.

As folk have already said, learning HTML isn't rocket science (rocket surgery ftw!), though it might help if you're familiar with what in-line text editors can do. The wiki page on HTML has some good references.

Or you can hire a script kiddie to do the hard coding for you - hang around the school gates until you spot a nerd... [Biased]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I created my site initially on Dreamweaver, but update it using notepad.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a firm believer in text editors, since I hate all the extraneous code put in by those commerical applications like Dreamweaver. I like to be able to read code and actually be able to figure out what's going on.

I use some Freeware text editors: At work I use PageBreeze and the Coffee Cup HTML editor, and at home on my Mac I use the Taco HTML editor.

[ 08. December 2007, 13:53: Message edited by: MrSponge2U ]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just put together a few web pages for a friend to sell a charity cookbook.

I used KompoZer, a free open source application that uses Mozilla to view pages. Lots of options, including an annotated text editor (e.g. tags are in a different colour) and tabbed preview pages. Pretty straightforward to use and a decent help file.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
If you take a look at this site it has some handy tutorials on how to code HTML and CSS among other things.

That link has gone straight on to 'favourites' - thank you for putting it. My computer teacher is helping me to set up a website using the space provided by my ISP. At the moment it is very boring as it contains a title and an avatar picture. I shall be following this thread with much interest.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016