homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny Lane:
At RuthW's request in another thread, here is my pumpkin bread recipe.

Many thanks! I'll be trying it in about a week.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Posted by BabyBear on a different thread:
quote:
'frin has a lovely recipe for Brownies in a Jar. All the dry ingredients are layered up in a large jar, a pretty covering is made for the lid, and the recipe and instructions are tied on with ribbon.
Sounds great - does 'frin hang out here, or would I be best to PM her?
Anyone else have this recipe?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got it on the other thread - Thanks Baby Bear!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have such a problem. I'm baking an Onion Pie (w/cheese & curry - yum!) and the house is fragrant with the odor - and I can't eat it! I'm taking it to a pot-luck this evening at church with some very special First Nations friends.

So I figured I'd share the recipe with y'all, so you too can suffer this delightful torment. [Big Grin] I got this from my Mom - it was in one of her first cook books when she got married in 1946. She observes that women tend to like it more than men (hmmm - the "quiche" thing?!), so KenW, report back.

Curry Cheese-Onion Pie
1 ½ c. coarse ground soda crackers (saltines)
¼ tsp. curry powder
6 T. melted butter
Mix together; reserve ¼ to sprinkle on top. Line 9” pie plate with the rest.

2 T. butter
1 ½ c. onions, sliced (about 2 medium onions)
1 ¼ c. milk
¼ tsp. paprika
½ - 1 tsp. curry powder (I prefer the full amount)
dash of cayenne pepper
salt (I don’t use any as I’m using salted butter – add, if you like more)
1 T. cold milk
1 ½ c. grated sharp cheddar cheese (my mom has often used Velveeta...)
2 eggs, beaten

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
Saute onions in butter until tender but not brown. Spread over cracker crust.
In a double boiler heat milk; when it is hot mix the spices with the tablespoon of cold milk (do NOT do this in advance; it will thicken!) and then add the liquid spice mixture to the hot milk. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Beat the eggs and gradually add to the hot milk mixture (so as not to cook them in the process!). Pour milk/cheese mixture over the onions. Sprinkle the reserved cracker mixture on top and bake for 35-40 minutes. Serves 4-6.

I use a cast-iron skillet to cook the onions and then use the same skillet (unwashed) for heating the milk, but I'm careful with the heat and use a diffuser. It's lovely with a green salad...

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Here are two of my favorite pumpkin recipes:

Pumpkin Bread ... Frost-On-The-Pumpkin Bars

Mamacita, I've just used one of your pumpkin pie recipes that you've previously posted and yum! So I will be making another trip to the store to buy another pumpkin (and chopping, steaming, straining, and pureeing it, cuz no tinned pumpkin available here) to try one of those recipes.
Wow! Thank you, Flausa, for the compliment. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe. I love this thread! (And I'm drooling like one of Pavlov's dogs from reading Kenwritez' restaurant review above.)

I just found this website called Cooking for Engineers while googling for a Shrimp Scampi recipe (frozen jumbo shrimp having been on sale at the supermarket). Don't know if the recipes are any good, but I loved the format with all the photos and charts.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a go at making yogurt, and whilst it tastes fine, it is rather thin. Is there any way to thicken yogurt?

What would happen if I reduced the milk before adding the yogurt? Would it result in a thicker yogurt?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure other folks will understand better than I, but reducing would require full-on boiling, right? That *might* interfere with the milk's ability to culture... [Confused]

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made yoghurt too! [Big Grin] I think it tastes quite nice, and it doesn't seem to be a curdled mess, and it was dead easy! It did have quite a bit of wateryness on the top, but I drained that bit off. And now I'm stewing some apples with raisins to go with it. [Big Grin] Thankyou for the recipe!
Gnome

--------------------
Floating Fund!

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reduction can take place at a simmer (~85C) but it takes longer for it to happen that if it were boiling.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would a small quantity of cornflour (arrowroot) serve the purpose?

I notice that about a tablespoonful with thicken an entire fondue.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mamacita, that recipe site looks great - thanks. I've bookmarked it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I had a go at making yogurt, and whilst it tastes fine, it is rather thin. Is there any way to thicken yogurt?

What would happen if I reduced the milk before adding the yogurt? Would it result in a thicker yogurt?

Probably you just needed to let it ferment a bit longer (though some batches never seem to get as thick as you'd like, no matter how long you wait--natural products just vary that way. Commercial yogurts mostly have gelatin added for a thicker consistency).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would it make a difference if you used a thicker yoghurt for the culture? I used a yoghurt which is not my usual brand, which is a set yoghurt which often has wateryness. And that's what I got for my yoghurt. Maybe next batch I'll buy a little pot of a different kind, and see if it makes a difference to the result. Or would using full fat milk change it?
Gnome

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Usually home made yoghurt thickens up after a few days - it's how much culture there is in the mixture - but not always.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to revise dinner plans rapidly yesterday as when I cut open the squash from our veg. box it turned out to be completely unripe. So, now it's been cut, how long can I keep it, and will it ripen? And for future reference, how do I tell whether or not it's ripe in the first place??

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Mamacita, that recipe site looks great - thanks. I've bookmarked it.

Me too! I particularly loved the diagram at the end of the recipes, it suits the panic cooking scientist in me.
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone identify this mystery vegetable? It was in this week's box and I don't know whether to cook it like cabbage or pak choi or something, or whether it's more like lettuce! [Help]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swiss Chard?

If so you can cook the leaves like spinach and treat the stalks like asparagus as the simplest ways of getting the flavour.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks to me what you have is tatsoi. I'd eat it fast, it has a short shelf life, but it's a nice mustardy addition to salad greens or you can wilt it in a warm salad or shred it in some soup right at the end of the cooking. More a lettuce than a spinach, though.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

images of Swiss Chard show it with red stalks, which I'm not seeing in your photo... I suspect Mertide is right... do let us know, okay? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

I think mertide has it! I'll let you know how it turns out. [Smile]

--------------------
Nea Fox

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope I am. [Smile] Otherwise, you could always taste it, and if it's too bitter raw you could cook it.

BTW, McDonalds uses tatsoi here in their salads, but I doubt serious foodies on this thread would recognise it from that context. [Hot and Hormonal]

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swiss chard can have either red or white stalks and veins. But I don't know whether this is it.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

It not being the time of year for salads, I added the mystery vegetable (the taste of which matched the description of tatsoi!) to a stir fry right at the end so it was just wilted. Very nice! [Smile] I think the flavour might be a bit strong for me in salad, but I'd be willing to give it a go...

--------------------
Nea Fox

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I ran across these sites today and they seemed appropriate for this thread:

à la carte

and...

tastingmenu.com

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

KenW baby (did you know I have an 'adopted' Chinese son named Kinwa?! no, of course not--) - WHERE have you been? such silence from your environs...

You've provided links to tasting menu before (thank you) but the first one is new - cool! I love cruising these places; cruising and drooling, that's me [Big Grin]

--------------------

babybear
# 34

I am looking for healthy lunchbox ideas for myself and the cubs. Any ideas of website that might help?
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

You could try this one. or this. It really depends on what you and the cubs like, and how old they are. And, of course, how much time you want to put into lunch. There's not much more frustrating than preparing well balanced and creative lunches that boomerang in the lunch box. You might do your chicken and walnut salad pita and have the kids say all they want is peanut butter sandwiches. Every day. For 12 years.
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a bit late, but just to say that to thicken home made yoghurt, mix a dribble of your UHT milk with some dried skimmed milk powder (a table spoon or 2? I don't ever bother to measure!) before adding in your yoghurt starter. Makes it creamier too!

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Sorry for the double post - it's just that no body else has posted in the last 20 mins or so!)

OK I give up. I hadn't read this thread for ages and ages and ages and I come back and someone mentions a Scottish thread and I just can't find it. It might have had a recipe for Black Bun on it. Can anyone give me one that works? I got one off the net last year and it tasted yucky and didn't hold together and was generaly awful. I can do a decent Christmas pud and cake and stuff so I don't THINK it was me [Hot and Hormonal] Can anyone help??

--------------------
life is purple

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Tried making yoghurt with a different kind of commercial yoghurt as a starter, and lo, it was runny, but thick and mild, quite different from the first lot. (Actually, it was a bit like custard)
Gnome

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone got a good recipe for an authentic Hungarian Goulash?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
re: yogurt thickness. the runniness is pretty normal, and yes most commercial yogurts have geletin added. that's probably your easy answer - add geletin.

the other is to strain it for a few days, then it becomes a very thick consistancy, a bit like ricotta. I use it for baking and have been experimenting with pie fillings.

fit a wire strainer over a bowl, line it with one or two paper towels (or a really clean tea towel) and pour your fresh yogurt into the strainer. cover with another tea towel (plastic wrap is probably fine) and refridgerate the bowl-strainer assembly for two or three days. quite a lot of thin, almost transparent liquid will strain into the bowl, leaving most of the solids behind.

Another strategy is to use heavy cream instead of milk. (calorie alert) I Iearned this from russian friends, who call it smetana (not the composer). you heat, cool, wisk, and set just like regular yogurt. the end result is thicker, closer to grocery store variety, though still not as jellied, but more creamy. the flavor is spectacularly rich. I use it as the cream in cream soups, and the flavor is amazing. A dollop on oatmeal is also a wonderful treat.

I have also made a chocolate pudding with the smetana and ate far too much of it.

[ 23. October 2006, 18:39: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Comet, wouldn't that be the proper use of cheesecloth? (the straining the yogurt thing). And I don't know about anybody else, but I would have no idea how to add gelatin to homemade yogurt - when would you add it? Unlikely to DO it, mind you, just curious! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

Made yoghurt yesterday. Children ate it all today. Will now go and make more, which they no doubt will not eat before we go away on Friday leaving it to grow blue fluff over the long weekend.....

--------------------
life is purple

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made Mamacita's "Frost on the pumpkin bars" for coffee hour, to rave reviews - I put some Halloween candy on each piece for decoration. (I used five-spice for spicing, with an extra hit of ginger.)

But I've got a quarter can (4 oz) of pumpkin puree left, because I cut the recipe to 3/4 to fit my 13 by 9 pan instead of the 15 by 10 specified. (do the math)

Any ideas? Pumpkin pudding or mousse? Pumpkin custard in a ramekin? I've got eggs and cream in the house.

I can obviously take a bigger recipe and whack it down to size. Indeed I'm going to be checking the pumpkin pie filling recipes in my Fannie Farmer book with that in mind, but I wondered if the assembled Panel of Experts had any ideas.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
pumpkin custard is easy -- somewhere up-along there's a recipe for pumpkin pie -- that will give you an idea of the proportion of milk to egg to sugar to pumpkin. Use the same spicing as you liked for the other. Just make it the way you prepare any custard, pour into a large basin or separate custard cups and cook in the oven like any other custard. I don't bother with putting the cups in water and they work out just fine.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
Comet, wouldn't that be the proper use of cheesecloth?

oh probably. I am not completely sure what cheesecloth is. how is it different than bandage gauze?
quote:
And I don't know about anybody else, but I would have no idea how to add gelatin to homemade yogurt - when would you add it? Unlikely to DO it, mind you, just curious! [Big Grin]
I dunno.

***flips through books. tosses books away. reads back of Knox box***

geletin needs to be added to hot liquid and stirred well to fully disolve. so.... how about for every cup of milk, an envelope of geletin, and wisk it in with your live culture? (or earlier, when you take the milk off the flame) then whisk like mad.

it doesn't work, you're out a cup of milk.

if anyone tries it, let me know how it works!

Buffalo stew tonight, with garden toms and carrots and potatoes. *big sniff* Ahhhh....

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

oooh, I'll bet one packet per cup of milk is an awfully high ratio of gelatin to (potential) yogurt. At least I think so, because the yogurt will thicken somewhat on its own; the gelatin is just to stiffen it up a bit, you know? Otherwise, well, you know you could probably make Naughty Toys with that much additional stiffening power... (I'm celibate, I don't want to go there, thank you very much. Ah, but it's my nature... *sigh* [Help] ).

But I'd love to hear a report come back on the pros and cons of adding gelatin to yogurt. [Big Grin]

Cheesecloth is an open weave, but not as open as bandage gauze... it also sometimes has a waxy quality to it. There is a very brief Wikipedia article on it... I just figure, if they use it to drain cheese, it would be good for draining yogurt...?

--------------------

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Powdered gelatine should be well moistened with cold water and then dissolved with the required amount of water (or other liquid) that is very hot, but off the boil.

Adding hot water directly to unsoftened gelatine is likely to form lumps.

The dissolved gelatine should be cooled before being added to other ingredients. In particular, mixtures of gelatine and milk do not respond well to heating: the milk solids invariably curdle.

Leaf gelatine is more expensive than powdered gelatine, but it does not have that faint taste and smell of glue size: it is softened in cold water and then dissolved in hot, and used as above.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A month back into student life and I must say I'm pretty fed up with the standard pasta-and-tomatoey stuff / pasta-and-cheesy stuff / pasta-and-pesto / egg fried rice / dahl / sandwiches / toast and toppings fare I can be bothered to rustle up.

My desperation is such that I find myself wishing I was living back in College, with College food. Goes to show just how fed up I am!

I'm a vegetarian of the no meat no fish variety. I don't have an oven, but I do have a microwave, two electric rings, a kettle, a toaster and a fridge. Difficult to pronounce items or foodstuffs not listed in my Dutch phrase book are off-limits.

Any original ideas from the Ship's galley?

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stir-fry.

Ok not great on an electric hob, but not impossible. Rice in one pan on one ring and then do the veggies on the other.

Try:

Green leaves (if you can find a Chinese grocery store then choy sum or pak choi will be readily available, otherwise use spinach) with garlic and dark Chinese vinegar - I used to live off this!!

Egg & Tomato
a classic northern Chinese dish and one of my favourites
make an omelette, break it up and set it aside
clean pan and fry spring onion, garlic and ginger. Add quartered tomatoes. Cook for a bit and then add in the omelette. Stir. Add salt if necessary. (Dark Chinese vinegar can be added at the cooking tomato stage if you like)

Slice tofu cooked with chilli paste is good as well though does have a tendency to smoke the kitchen out!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Yangtze!

Forgot to mention that I'm in a bedsit, so anything that's going to smoke out my 'kitchen' will also have the same effect on my sitting room, work area and bedroom...!

--------------------

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

Forgot to add that there's a Chinese shop on my way home - didn't look at the veg last time I was in there but will do next time.

Must buy a wok!

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You don't have a wok?

Ha! We have found you out! You cannot be a real student.

You must be a fake.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Woks are good for cooking things like risotto in - you can do good veggie versions like risi e bisi, which is rice and peas, flavoured with onion, garlic, reasonable stock and a parmesan like cheese (parmesan not being veggie, but there are veggie versions). It also tastes good with brown rice. Or mushrooms make a good risotto.

The Cranks Recipe books have lots of recipes. A way of dealing with casseroles in a bedsit is a slowcooker. OK as a student - put together in morning before you leave, come home to warm cooked meal.

Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

I am a real student, I am! It's just that arriving to an unfurnished room - a horrible surprise - meant I had to buy absolutely everything new, and my budget only stretched to two pans. I might see what I can do about a wok now, though.

Cranks' cookbook is going on my Christmas list - thank you, Curiosity killed... and others.

--------------------

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

a friend of mine (who was a loony messianic Jew but we won't go in to all of that!) when he was a student used to live of flat breads (flour, water, oil, and an egg if he was feeling rich, made in to a dough and cooked like chapati's in a dry frying pan) with cheese or baked beans on top.

As for Christmas lists, Lakelands to a Tefal slow cooker for one that is also a rice cooker or a steamer. I got one for my sister and it is fantastic. Do a stew in it one night (it does enough for about 3 servings) and eat with pasta or baked potatoes, and then the next night reheat the stew whilst cooking some rice in it. If you ate meat I would say "The nice thing about slow cooking is you can eat all the really cheap cuts of meat from the butcher like shin, stewing mutton, and the like." But you don't. But I will leave it in for others that might be perusing the thread..... do hope you don't mind. But you can do good vege curries with chickpeas and things in them as well, soups, risotto's and all sorts of things. Just make sure you cut root veg small as they can take ages to cook.

If I can get this right, here is a link to it: Lakeland 3 in 1 cooker

--------------------
life is purple

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lazystudent:
pretty fed up with the standard pasta-and-tomatoey stuff / pasta-and-cheesy stuff / pasta-and-pesto / egg fried rice / dahl / sandwiches / toast and toppings fare

If you are ok with milk, cream and cheese, then the World of the Potato opens up.

Mash beaten up with milk and topped with grated cheese used to be a standard when I were a student.

Also, potatoes (and other root veggies) braised in stock (slow pan with lid) can be delicious.

Not forgetting the potato salad - cold with onion and mayo, or hot, with a spicy tomato dressing.

And for really nice stodge on stodge, puff pastry (score the top so that it forms a lattice) stuffed with thinly sliced potato and cheese and baked is ace.

In fact, if you can thole pastry, the amount of fillings that can be enclosed is endless. Or, reverting to the potato, turned into a pie/flan and then topped with potato (and cheese, of course).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I forgot, this comes from Katharine Whitehorn's Cooking in a Bedsitter which isn't all vegetarian, but is a way of doing pizzas.

You make a quick pizza base by mixing self-raising flour and plain yoghurt, then kneading into a disc. (Plain yoghurt - a neighbour of mine used raspberry to peculiar results). Fry (in oil) one side of this base in a pan until golden brown. It also puffs up. Turn, top with anything else you want on top - made tomato paste, vegetables, olives, cheese. Cook other side, which will heat through the topping and melt the cheese if it's soft enough. It's quite greasy, but if you're craving a pizza it works. You can also cook the base in the oven.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016