homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just imagining a pizza crust with a faint raspberry tinge to it... so it could be a dessert pizza with chocolate sauce instead of tomato and fresh fruit slices... that could be nice, actually... Hmmmm, must experiment! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo requested a cinnamon pecan recipe.

The way I make them is simple.

Heat a frying pan over medium or slightly hotter heat. Cover the bottom with a single layer of pecans (taste pecans first). Add enough sugar to go halfway up the pecans. Liberally sprinkle with cinnamon. Add a couple of tablespoons of water or so (enough to liquify the sugar mixture). Stir until the water evaperates and the sugar carmelizes. Remove from heat and pour on some wax paper.

While the sticky mess cools put a couple of cups of water in the pan and heat. The pan is now easy to clean (do not put hands in heated water to clean). After you clean the pan your pecans will (hopefully) not be sticky anymore and be perfect for eating.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I made Mamacita's "Frost on the pumpkin bars" for coffee hour, to rave reviews - I put some Halloween candy on each piece for decoration. (I used five-spice for spicing, with an extra hit of ginger.)

But I've got a quarter can (4 oz) of pumpkin puree left, because I cut the recipe to 3/4 to fit my 13 by 9 pan instead of the 15 by 10 specified. (do the math)

Any ideas? Pumpkin pudding or mousse? Pumpkin custard in a ramekin? I've got eggs and cream in the house.

I can obviously take a bigger recipe and whack it down to size. Indeed I'm going to be checking the pumpkin pie filling recipes in my Fannie Farmer book with that in mind, but I wondered if the assembled Panel of Experts had any ideas.

Charlotte

So glad the pumpkin bars worked out well! I'll be making a batch for our All Saints' festive reception. (Actually, I made a batch today to take to our son for Parents' Weekend; they're his favorite.)
I cast my vote for pumpkin pie filling in a ramekin, fiddling around with the quantities from your favorite pie recipe. Whenever I make pumpkin pie I have extra filling, and it goes into custard cups. That gives me a couple of servings of crust-free, guilt-free pie, which of course means I get an extra dollop of whipped cream!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lazystudent:
Forgot to add that there's a Chinese shop on my way home - didn't look at the veg last time I was in there but will do next time.

Must buy a wok!

You can do the green veggie thing in a microwave. Lay out flat on one plate, slice garlic very finely, drizzle over vinegar and soy sauce, cover with another plate and nuke for a minute or so. Easy, tasty and very quick (as long as the rice is already made!)

The brand of dark Chinese vinegar I've been banging on about is called Chinkiang. Well worth it if you can find it - your Chinese grocery store should have it. That, together with garlic, ginger and spring onion will pretty much give any motley collection of veggies a Chinese flavour. Add the vinegar at the end and cover quickly if you don't want too strong a vinegar smell in your bed sit!

I also discovered anew last night how tasty a fried egg is over fried rice (or indeed any rice/veggie combo with a bit of spice to it). Yum. A sort of easy nasi goreng.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Instead of a wok, I suggest buying a cast iron skillet, at least a 10" -12" /25 - 30 cm. A wok is fine if you have a powerful heat source underneath it, like a high output gas jet. For your two-ring stove, though, a skillet with its broad, flat base will perform better for stir-fries, plus you can use it as a skillet for foods requiring that type of pan.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
(Sorry for the double post - it's just that no body else has posted in the last 20 mins or so!)

OK I give up. I hadn't read this thread for ages and ages and ages and I come back and someone mentions a Scottish thread and I just can't find it. It might have had a recipe for Black Bun on it. Can anyone give me one that works? I got one off the net last year and it tasted yucky and didn't hold together and was generaly awful. I can do a decent Christmas pud and cake and stuff so I don't THINK it was me [Hot and Hormonal] Can anyone help??

Nats, the Scottish Thread is here, currently languishing on page 2 of AS.

Despite the fact that I've just eaten, my mouth is watering after reading this thread. I love pumpkin in risotto. Must go and buy a small one, since they're in season atm.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anybody have a to die for apple pie recipe? I am suppose to bake one for thanksgiving and my usual pie has alcohol in it. Since my dad is alcoholic this is not an option. I would be grateful for any help.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second the motion for cast iron. though I have that and a wok. (I actually have two iron skillets and a dutch oven. but I admit I have a problem. my dad is worse - 9 dutch ovens. he needs an intervention)

Does anyone have suggestions for shaking up a gluten-free diet? I dont want recipes for bread, etc, made from rice flour or whatever, that's not my concern. I don't like pretending I can eat the stuff.

I'm pretty much all about rice for my grains and I'm sick of it. I need new really unique ways of preparing it, or dinner menus that dont have any gluten but that someone under the age of 16 might actually eat. i.e. soul food without the macaroni or pizza crust or biscuits.

FTR my rice standards include risotto and 500 varieties of that, though my favorite is with shiitakes; fried rice; and what I call "rice-agna" which is just basmati with all my lasagna ingredients minues the noodles and baked. it's really quite amazing.

I've been "wheat intolerant" for a few years and therefore cheated and ate wheat all the time. Well, guess who just got lots sicker! so I have to quit screwing around.

goodbye cookies! [Frown]

again, my big wishlist would be alternatives to soul foods, so things with salt and fat and cheese and sugar!

thanks, everyone.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can you eat millet? Because there's a recipe for millet cooked in the pot first in oil until golden brown and toasty smelling. Then fry up some onion and root vegetables, add the millet, enough stock to cook and stew gently until the millet is soft and fluffy (20 minutes odd). Serve with chopped parsley and grated cheese. Leftovers make good burgers held together with an egg.

Potatoes cooked in either milk or stock or a mixture - boulangere - layers of finely sliced potatoes and onion, ending with potatoes on top, add stock or milk (milk is richer and more comforting) cooked slowly in the oven until the onion is cooked and the top layer of potato is crunchy.

Buckwheat or kasha - as flour can be used to make pancakes - a recipe suggests filling with cooked butter beans and pesto. Also the buckwheat groats can make different tasting casseroles - the recipe I use for this version with mushrooms adds cheese to make a richer more soul food version.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet

Can you eat oats and maize? Can you get things like soya flour and potato flour there? You can use oats instead of flour in crumble topping. I use sweet potatoes (pureed or baked) when I'm bored by rice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_coeliac5.shtml

includes a recipe for choc fudge pudding.

[edited to remove duplication]

[ 29. October 2006, 21:27: Message edited by: Landlubber ]

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't believe me without checking, but I believe that oat grains can contain gluten - though not as much as wheat or rye.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roasted veggies served on a bed of lentils

This is a recipe that starts with the idea that you will know how long to cook certain types of vegetables.

Take some onions and root veggies, put into a plastic bag with a little oil and toss. Transfer into a roasting pan and start roasting. Leeks, broccoli, corn, peas can be added later in the cooking if you wish.

Start the lentils cooking at a suitable time so that they are cooked just before the veggies are ready. About 10 mines before that, take a handful of feta cheese cubes and put them on top of the veggies. Take a little pesto and dot that around too, and drizzle some balasmic dressing over it all.

Serve the veggies and cheese on top of the lentils.

Tomato and lentil soup

1 onion
little oil
500g jar of tomato sauce for pasta
250g red lentils
1 pt of stock
poling water

Dice and saute the onion in a little amount of oil. Add the jar of pasta sauce, rinse out the jar with water and toss that into the pot too. Add in the stock and the lentils. Cook slowly for at least 30 minutes.

This is a gluten-free, rich, thick soup that is easily made from items in the store cupboard. I like to make this soup first thing in the morning, then re-heat it at lunch time. The extra sitting time brings out the flavours.

I have a couple of friends who are unable to have gluten, and they like white sauces made using potato flour, or cornflour. Cauliflower cheese, served with roasted chicken, roasted carrots and parsnips is generally very well received.

Lots of vegetables can be stuffed with a bolognaise sauce, cooked and then served with a salad. Lentils and beans make a good gluten-free base for a meal too.

A couple of friends found that after they had been on a gluten-free diet for 6 weeks they were able to tolerate the odd bread roll or cookie without any ill effects. This isn't true for another friend though, and any gluten makes her ill. However, it is worth bearing in mind that you might be able to have the odd cookie from time to time.

[ 29. October 2006, 21:57: Message edited by: babybear ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

A good paella.

Ingredients
chicken (dark meat), sausage, pork, whatever.
bell peppers, onion, garlic, anything else you feel like.
white wine
chicken stock
thyme, bay leaves, parsley, seasonings of your choice.
shrimp, lobster tails, mussels, clams, heck try crap legs.
saffron if you want

Largest pan/wok/whatever brown non seafood meats, and vegies. Deglaze with wine. Add rice, chicken stock, and saffron cook a few minutes add whatever seafood you choose and cook some more. Add chicken stock when the mix dries to much. Keep cooking until done.

Beware, it is a terribly precise recipe (not). [Biased] But it does feed an army.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

You might want to search for some Atkins diet or South Beach diet recipes. Some of those will contain gluten but I am willing to bet there is a lot of non-gluten recipes for those two diets.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not forgetting polenta (which is cornmeal really).

By itself, it can be pretty flavourless, but if you dissolve a stock cube in the water with which you make it up, that can cheer it up. As can stirring in lots of grated cheese (and some chili doesn't hurt) spreading it out, topping with more cheese and grilling.

If you are ok with potato, that is all the human frame requires. Potatoes with fish, potatoes with cheese, potatoes creamed and rolled in egg and crumb and deep fried, potatoes chipped, potatoes roasted (with seasalt and thyme), potato dumplings, potato bread, potato saute, potato mash, potato rosti...

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Not forgetting polenta (which is cornmeal really).

By itself, it can be pretty flavourless, but if you dissolve a stock cube in the water with which you make it up, that can cheer it up.

Or make it with olive oil in it.Or garlic and well-chopped onions. Or even peas. Ground pepper. Or make it, let it cool, form it into little cakes, and fry it in olive oil.

--------------------
Ken

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother-in-law used to make Japanese delicacies with rice flour. You might get hold of a Japanese cookbook and see if anything appeals.

One dessert you could make is something called Angel Pie. The crust is baked meringue; you use the egg yolks in the filling. If you want a couple of Angel Pie recipes, I'll post them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know about comet, but I'd like to see some Angel pie recipes - never heard of it but I like baked meringue... [Big Grin]

I have also made the "Frost on the Pumpkin" bars - very yummy indeed. I reduced the oil to 3/4 of a cup instead of a full cup and it was *still* plenty moist - I think I'll do it again with something closer to 2/3 of a cup and see if that's still workable...

--------------------

teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any suggestions on making a decent meatloaf? I love really good meatloaf..light, juicy, full of flavor. Mine has the flavor and juicy parts, but tends to be relatively heavy. My mom used to make wonderful meatloaf and I've tried and tried to do it like she did, but with no success. Unfortunately, mom has been dead 14 years so I can't ask her what I'm doing wrong. I usually use 2 pounds ground meat (all beef or sometimes half beef and half ground pork), a finely chopped onion, a pinch of garlic powder, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup evaporated milk and a half cup of rolled oats. Mix together lightly and quickly, form into a loaf, cover with ketchup and bake about an hour. Any advice? Anyone care to share your favorite meatloaf recipe?

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Instead of just ketchup on your leatloaf, try mixing 1/2 cup ketchup with 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 1 tsp. dry mustard. Pour over the meatloaf for the last five minutes or so of the cooking time.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't Tim Curry/Frankenfurter serve Meatloaf in Rocky Horror Picture Show?

[Snigger]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Soak a slice of good white bread in red wine, Worcester sauce and ketchup. Mix together with the meat and onions. Use just one egg to bind. Cover the loaf with strips of streaky bacon.

Cook in a moderate oven for an hour, then take off the foil and up the heat to crisp the bacon.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Grandma's meatloaf recipe:
1 1/4 lbs mince
3/4 lb sausage meat
1 small green pepper finely chopped
1 large onion
3 slices bread (crusts removed)
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp milk
1 beaten egg
salt and pepper

Blend all the ingredients except the bread, milk and egg together in a large bowl. Soak the bread in the milk, squeeze out and add to the mixture. Mix well and add the egg to bind. Pack into a loaf tin and bake at gas 6 (400 F) for 15 mins. Turn the heat down to gas 4 (350 F) for another 45 mins.

I usually have breadcrumbs in the freezer and add enough to bind with the egg rather than soaking the bread and have also used porrige oats or crushed weetabix if I didn't have enough. Usually served with either Campbell's tomato soup or passata plus Worcester sauce, herbs and black pepper as a sauce.

That's my basic recipe but here's a more time consuming one, to prepare the day before a picnic, camping trip etc.

Meatloaf with Bulgur Wheat:
115g (4oz) bulgur wheat
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
285 ml (1/2 pint) boiling chicken stock
1 green, 1 yellow and 1 red pepper, de-seeded and two rings cut from each, the rest finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
450 g (1 lb) pork sausagemeat
2 level tbsp tomato purée

Put the bulgur wheat in a bowl with the parsley and the stock. Soak for 15-20 mins until all liquid absorbed.

Cut the pepper rings in half and arrange them in the base of a greased loaf tin, overlapping slightly.

Preheat the oven to 180C (350 F, gas 4). Heat the oil in a frying pan and soften the chopped peppers, garlic and onion for 10 mins.

Stir half the beaten egg into the bulgur wheat and mix the rest with the sausagemeat, tomato purée and pepper mixture in a separate bowl.

Spoon 1/3 of the sausagemeat mixture over the pepper rings, layer with 1/2 the bulgur wheat and repeat finishing with a layer of sausage. Level the top and cover with foil.

Stand the tin in a roasting tin holding enough hot water to come halfway up. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until firmly set and cooked through. Drain off any excess fat.

Allow it to cool in the tin and refrigerate overnight and serve cold.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't provide exact quantities because I just don't cook that way! I make a fairly small meatloaf as there are only two of us, and only I like meatloaf sandwiches.

1.25-1.5 lbs ground beef (I use extra lean 93/7)
teaspoon or so powdered beef bouillon
tablespoon or so dried onion flakes
garlic powder or minced garlic clove
about 1/2 cup rolled oats
teaspoon or so each dried basil and parsley
black pepper to taste
1 egg
liberal quantity of ketchup to make a very moist loaf

Combine all ingredients well and form into loaf shape. Bake at 350F uncovered about 45 minutes. Since I have the oven hot, I usually throw in a couple of potatos to bake along with it. The meatloaf just holds together; doesn't seem dense at all. If I'm using at least two lbs of meat, I'll use a packet of Lipton's dry onion soup mix in place of the bouillon and dried onion.

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How hot is Thai red curry paste? I came across a chicken curry recipe in this morning's paper that sounded really good, but it calls for 4 Tablespoons of red curry paste, along with 1 Tablespoon of curry powder. I enjoy a nice zing, but not a mouthful of fire. I usually buy mild prepared salsa, but can tolerate small amounts of medium. Am I likely to find red curry paste too hot?

[ 30. October 2006, 12:38: Message edited by: Penny Lane ]

--------------------
~Penny

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would have thought it would depend on the brand. It's fairly hot I think, but you could always put less in and gradually add more until you reach your limit!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
I don't know about comet, but I'd like to see some Angel pie recipes - never heard of it but I like baked meringue... [Big Grin]

ANGEL PIE

CRUST

3 egg whites (room temperature)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar

Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until frothy. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Make sure sugar is completely dissolved.
Spread over bottom and sides of a well-greased 9" pie pan. Build up sides.
Bake in 275° oven 1 hour or until light brown and crisp. Let cool in pie pan. Spoon in filling and chill.

VARIATION
Sprinkle 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans on bottom of meringue shell before baking.

FILLINGS

1. FRESH FRUIT
Fill baked shell with berries or fresh fruit, sliced and sweetened. Add whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

2. CHOCOLATE FILLING

3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/4 c. hot water
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. heavy cream, whipped

Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling water. Add hot water, vanilla, and salt. Cook and stir until smooth. Cool.
Fold in whipped cream and pur into pie shell. Chill at least four hours. Serve with more whipped cream on top if desired.

3. LEMON FILLING

4 egg yolks
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 Tblsp. grated lemon peel
1 c. heavy cream, whipped

Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Cook over in top of double boiler over simmering water stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, about five to eight minutes. Mixture should be thick enough to mound slightly when dropped from spoon. Cool

Spread cool lemon mixture into pie shell. Top with whipped cream. Chill at least 12 hours.

[ 30. October 2006, 17:14: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

wow, neat stuff happened on this thread overnight! I am now craving meatloaf (uh, not the singer...) [Big Grin]

Moo, a question please: you specify melting the chocolate over hot-not-boiling water - what difference does that make? How does it impact the chocolate if the water is boiling? I'm just curious. I recently learned that room-temperature egg whites whip up better, so that one I get... thank you!

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Because the texture of chocolate depends very very strongly on the temperature you heat it to and the boiling point of water is too hot for the best flavour

--------------------
Ken

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

For meatloaf I form small mounds on a cookie sheet. That way you can drain the grease easier. And everybody has their own little loaf. I also use a ketchup brown sugar and mustard mixture not unlike Cambellite's. I use about half the mixture to coat the tops and I use the rest to put on the slices as they are eaten.

--------------------

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Penny Lane: For most Western palates, 1-2 tablespoons of red curry paste per pound/500g of meat/chicken/fish works out ok. Some recipes add extra chilli for bite. If you're reducing the amount of curry paste, you might add a little tomato paste to hold the red colour - the paste is a colour as well as a flavour. The coconut milk/cream cuts the burn, but you might want to cross culturally have some yoghurt available to help with mouth burn if you're not sure. If it's real Thai, remember that the curry is more of a condiment, the rice and soup are the main dishes. It can be exceptionally hot because it's not expected to be eaten in quantity.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angel Pie looks like my Holiday Solution. Many blessings on your head, Moo.

I also get ill with oats and other gluteny (!) grains, but no as much. Wheat is by far my worst offender. I occasionally make oatmeal cookies with cornstarch, and will eat one or two without getting too sick.

unfortunately it's this kind of cheating that has my doctor tapping her foot and glaring at me.

I have no idea about millet. barley is out (I love barley! [Waterworks] ) but according to some readings, buckwheat is okay...? I didn't know that. I also use quinoa fairly often, FTR.

I've not ever gone the polenta route because the samples I've had were dead boring. I'll try Firenze's ideas, though - this may be the solution I'm looking for!

you all rock.

The discussion of ramakins (sp?) for pumpkin pie is intriguing. Whoever does it, please report back on how you did it!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

ken, thank you! - I didn't realize that and I will be more careful in future chocolate-melting events.

comet, can you eat flax?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Buckwheat and quinoa aren't grass seeds. They are related to spinach and stuff like that. Very different proteins from wheat, rye, barley etc.

--------------------
Ken

Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

quote:
Originally posted by mertide:
Penny Lane: For most Western palates, 1-2 tablespoons of red curry paste per pound/500g of meat/chicken/fish works out ok.

hmmm...the recipe calls for 4 Tbs to about 1.25 lbs of chicken. Coupled with the curry powder, this might be quite hot.

quote:
If it's real Thai, remember that the curry is more of a condiment, the rice and soup are the main dishes. It can be exceptionally hot because it's not expected to be eaten in quantity.
Don't know how authentic it is, but it is billed as a main dish to be served with jasmine rice and snow peas. The ingredients include coconut milk, chicken, potatoes, onion, fish or soy sauce, sugar, and the red curry paste and curry powder.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to think about it....

--------------------
~Penny

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:
Any suggestions on making a decent meatloaf? I love really good meatloaf..light, juicy, full of flavor. Mine has the flavor and juicy parts, but tends to be relatively heavy.

Tonight I had an amazing dinner (roast tenderloin of wild boar on a bed of Alsatian sauerkraut with horseradish potatoes, quince tart tatain) at my favorite restaurant. Remembering your post, I asked the chef what you could do to lighten your meatloaf.

He said if a meatloaf is too dense/heavy, it's got too much meat : filler ratio. When he makes a 5 lb. meatloaf, he'll add 7 eggs, 5 chopped onions and a quart of breadcrumbs. (He chops and sautees the onion at the beginning, then adds to cooked onion to the raw meat as it goes into the grinder.) Of course, his meatloaf is also made with black truffles and veal!

Best meatloaf recipe I've ever made. Nummy, nummy, nummy!

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Does anyone have suggestions for shaking up a gluten-free diet? I dont want recipes for bread, etc, made from rice flour or whatever, that's not my concern. I don't like pretending I can eat the stuff.

Indian food uses gram flour quite a lot which is from chickpeas. So maybe a trawl through some Indian cookery blogs could throw up some interesting dishes if you don't happen to have any array of Indian cookbooks. I've been working on improving my Indian cookery recently and can PM you some links if you like.

I once had dumplings in India that had been made from gram flour and were delicious. And gram dosas are pretty much like pancakes so would definitely counts as soul food in my book.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want gram flour or chick pea or dosai or dal south Indian recipes I'm happy to ask both HWMBO and his mum, both excellent cooks. The best Indian cookbook I have ever come across is Lord Krishna's Cuisine by Yamuna Devi, published by Century Hutchinson in UK but it is origianlly an American publication, probably the same publisher - it is all veggie stuff and has an amazing variety of recipes.

Gram flour is great stuff and very versatile. Chips/French Fries here are often soaked in a thin gram flour batter [with a little chilli powder, a little turneric and a little salt in it as well] before frying - they are yummy!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made pumpkin pudding when I was having problems with gluten - just grease a casserole dish and bake the same filling you'd normally use, possibly for slightly less time.

Here is a recipe for Indian Pudding, which contains cornmeal. I used a lot of cornmeal at that time - including cornmeal porridge for breakfast - very nice with treacle (molasses).

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
If you want gram flour or chick pea or dosai or dal south Indian recipes I'm happy to ask both HWMBO and his mum, both excellent cooks.

Oh my. Have you ever thought about hosting a Shipmeet and asking them to do the cooking (hint, hint, heavy hint [Smile] ) I'd find that worth getting on a plane for.

--------------------

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:
Any suggestions on making a decent meatloaf? I love really good meatloaf..light, juicy, full of flavor. Mine has the flavor and juicy parts, but tends to be relatively heavy. My mom used to make wonderful meatloaf and I've tried and tried to do it like she did, but with no success. Unfortunately, mom has been dead 14 years so I can't ask her what I'm doing wrong. I usually use 2 pounds ground meat (all beef or sometimes half beef and half ground pork), a finely chopped onion, a pinch of garlic powder, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup evaporated milk and a half cup of rolled oats. Mix together lightly and quickly, form into a loaf, cover with ketchup and bake about an hour. Any advice? Anyone care to share your favorite meatloaf recipe?

Try using only one egg.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
If you want gram flour or chick pea or dosai or dal south Indian recipes I'm happy to ask both HWMBO and his mum, both excellent cooks.

Oh my. Have you ever thought about hosting a Shipmeet and asking them to do the cooking (hint, hint, heavy hint [Smile] ) I'd find that worth getting on a plane for.
When we get the new house finished and the 'home-stay' business up and running you will all be welcome - only half an hour from the airport! A special rate for Shipmates, only 50% more than normal!

[Snigger]

I jest - you will all be welcome just as long as you don't refer to HWMBO and I as Hosts!!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Oooh, ooh, build quicker, build quicker.

(Can you guess that after four years of working for a charity that worked in India and Nepal I'm having withdrawal symptoms - haven't been there for almost two years now :-( )

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Best meatloaf recipe I've ever made. Nummy, nummy, nummy!

Looks very interesting (too much pepper for me, but I'm funny--) - can you tell me what he means by "broken carrots"? This is terminology I've never heard. [Confused]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I have never heard of gram flour, though use chickpeas elsehwere, mostly in hummus and a great chickpea curry.

can it bee used in the place of wheat flour?

as for recipes for dumplings/pancakes - yes please! I'd love to try those.

has anyone used almond flour?

--------------------

SemiFae
Shipmate
# 11972

- Posted      Profile for SemiFae   Author's homepage   Email SemiFae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Millet is definitely gluten free, the flakes make a good alternative to oats for porridge.

--------------------
"and even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of song with nothing on my lips but Alleliua" -Leonard Cohen

Posts: 130 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
can you tell me what he means by "broken carrots"? This is terminology I've never heard. [Confused]

In the context of the recipe I'd say it means don't try putting a whole carrot in the food processor. Break it into a couple of pieces first.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
fabula rasa
Shipmate
# 11436

- Posted      Profile for fabula rasa   Email fabula rasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to tell you, I LOVE this thread. I think you're all culinary geniuses.

And now, I have to add my own very recent, very exciting discovery: goose eggs. (OK, so I was given exactly one, but it was a moment of epiphany.) I'd read in Prue Leith (author of rather serious, academic-y referenc-y cookbooks) that goose eggs make wonderful cakes. The one I had looked funny--two yolks (no idea if that's standard) and a white that looked a bit cloudy and uninspiring. But when beaten it producted the most wonderful frothy, foamy texture--somehow much more ebullient than hen's eggs. (Think bubble bath vs shaving foam.)

They cost the earth, but I'm LONGING to try lots of different recipes with them. Does anyone else have experience/advice?

[ETA: sorry--got carried away and forgot to say:
Comet, have you tried rice noodles? Easiest thing in the world to prepare (just pour boiling water on them and soak for a few minutes, and they form the basis of loads of incredibly yummy Thai dishes--think coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, bit of curry.

[ 01. November 2006, 21:44: Message edited by: fabula rasa ]

Posts: 465 | From: scepter'd isle | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chick pea flour is used for popadoms and some other Indian recipes. I like the taste, but I'm not sure you'd want to cook with it in sweet dishes.

Japanese tempura uses corn flour to make a batter to deep fry the vegetables (and fish, but I've never tried that).

Tortilla should be made using corn flour according to my recipe book, although wheat flour can be used. I've made the wheat versions. That means nacho chips and the other mixtures that you could cover with refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, etc.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lot's of Japanese food is Gluten free (in fact oats and wheat were fairly unknown in alot of the country until recently) but not "comfort foods" really. Buckwheat is gluten free, but not all buckwheat noodles are. Look for 100% Buckwheat Soba noodles, cook as per packet. Be aware that most soy sauce is also NOT gluten free, although you may be able to get away with some, and I do belive that there are gluten free varieties available now if you know where to look - I don't I'm afraid. I cook Japanese but don't have a Gluten problem. My biggest comfort food is Miso soup and that is gluten free. But you need to get hold of good miso. Then make a stock (either use instant Japanese stuff, a chicken stock or a fish stock, or a vege stock would do but not as good) and then disolve your miso in to taste. If you want vege's in then cook then in the stock first. You can add fresh tofu too which is lovely, or dried Wakame seaweed. V easy and what I cook if I have a dicky tummy.

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016