homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe the equivalent is "blonde sugar" -- the brandname "sugar in the raw" should be what you want.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's in a plastic bag or there is a picture, it should be light brown but granulated (fairly big granules too).

Re the vegan cake, I can vouch for the tastiness of the Lenten chocolate cake. My co-workers couldn't believe it had no butter or eggs! (I should make it for coffee hour some time ... we have a new child at the church who can't eat dairy.)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Should add that lenten/vegan cakes tend to be on the moist side, so a well greased-and-floured pan is essential.

When making a chocolate cake, instead of flouring the pan, use cocoa powder. Same effect, and doesn't discolour the cake.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
I was wanting to try a recipe posted some time ago by one of our UK Shipmates. It calls for demerara(sp?) sugar. Is there a US equilavent or adequate substitute?

Light brown sugar is the closest thing we have in the supermarkets.

If you try a natural food store, you may find some.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Campbellite:

you can buy Turbinado or Sucanat sugar at "Heath food" stores. I use Sucanat for lots of recipes.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks ya'll. That really helps.

I don't know if I posted this before, but this is an old family recipe* I prepared for Thanksgiving. You might want to try it for Christmas dinner.

Aunt Gerry's Sweet Potato Casserole
2 cups shredded sweet potato (about 1 med. potato)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1/4 dry sherry
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart oven proof dish and bake at 300F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

The sweet potato I used yielded 3 cups, so I multiplied the recipe accordingly. There were no leftovers. [Smile]

My Aunt Gerry made this every year for family gatherings. She used to use home grown pecans from my grandfather's trees.

*stolen from an old family. <jk>

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Campbellite -- This sounds good. I will give it a try. Are the shredded sweet potatoes uncooked? Also, am I correct in thinking it's 1/4 cup sherry? (As opposed to 1/4 of the contents [Razz] ). Thankx.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't it awfully sweet? A cup of sugar to two cups of sweet potato strikes me as an open invitation to a diabetic coma. We had baked sweet potatoes for dinner the other day -- just baked in the oven. A small pat of butter, nothing else. And they tasted just fine.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mamcita, 1/4 bottle would be interesting, [Two face] but you are right, it is 1/4 cup sherry. And yes, the potato is peeled and shredded uncooked.

John Holding, my aunt's original recipe called for two cups sugar. While they are called sweet potatoes, the are not really all that sweet on their own. And I love baked sweet potatoes, which are tasty and nutritious, (until they are slathered with great gobs of butter and brown sugar and cinnamon like at a certain steak house I frequent). [Eek!]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tabby Cat
Shipmate
# 4561

- Posted      Profile for Tabby Cat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
Oatmeal cake

I was intrigued by the idea of oatmeal in a cake and made this a couple of days ago. It was delicious and I've just finished the last piece. Thanks PeteCanada!

However, while eating it I realised that I was in fact familiar with oatmeal as an ingredient in Yorkshire parkin. This cake reminded me of a particularly nice parkin.

Posts: 1063 | From: Paddling at the edge of the sea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm trying to find a recipe for a cranberry jelly with vodka I can can at home, but zero success yet, even my standbys Food Network and epicurious bring me no joy. I've found some in Google but they're in cookbooks I have to buy.

Anyone have such a recipe or know where I can find it?

Also, is there any danger vodka would interfere with the jelling process?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't help you with a recipe, Kenwritez, but I don't think the Vodka will affect the jelling process. I've made various jams and jellies with different spirits - brandy & port usually. Is there any reason vodka would behave differently?

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
I was wanting to try a recipe posted some time ago by one of our UK Shipmates. It calls for demerara(sp?) sugar. Is there a US equilavent or adequate substitute?

Light brown sugar is the closest thing we have in the supermarkets.

If you try a natural food store, you may find some.

Moo

Mirabile dictu! I found a Kroger in town (not the one I usually shop in) which has a British import section. There, lo and behold, was demerara sugar! In a 500g box. They also had jars of Marmite! As I was looking at the jar, a gentleman behind me (with a very definite British accent) said, "Jolly good on toast, you know, with a little butter." [Big Grin]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Also, is there any danger vodka would interfere with the jelling process?

Depending on how much vodka it could have an effect on the gelling process. There's a limit to the amount of alcohol you can use and still have a set jelly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would think that it is a matter of how much liquid is left in the gelling process. If you make the jelly normally put in the vodka(replace water with vodka) and reduce until the right consistency.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
They also had jars of Marmite! As I was looking at the jar, a gentleman behind me (with a very definite British accent) said, "Jolly good on toast, you know, with a little butter." [Big Grin] [/QB]

Obviously a person of great refinement and good taste! So unlike a certain pesky Canadian who, when visiting, turned up his nose at such wondrous provender!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
I know I could just do a heap of flapjacks or biscuits, but I'd really like to do a proper cake, that I can at least stick a couple of candles in.

One can get "egg substitute" at health food type stores -- made from potato flour or something. I would suggest a heap o' experimenting before the Big Day.
I found some yesterday in a local health food place - I don't know how I hadn't noticed it before as it was in the same section I get baby b's dairy-free stuff from.

Anyway I am hopeful that with experimentation (oh no! experimental cake to taste! how awful!) this will mean I can use one of my own recipes.

Thanks all.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

- Posted      Profile for Mary Beth   Email Mary Beth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that this is probably anathema, but I would like to make a mince meat pie for Christmas and use as a base a store bought filling. I don't have the time or talent to make it from scratch.

What could I add to flavor it up or make it reasonably edible?

Would generous portions of rum or brandy do? [Two face]

Thanks.

Mary Beth

--------------------
Give yourself fully to Jesus. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love, than in your weakness. Mother Teresa

Posts: 39 | From: Finger Lakes, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Beth:
Would generous portions of rum or brandy do? [Two face]

if you're generous enough, they always do.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I know that this is probably anathema, but I would like to make a mince meat pie for Christmas and use as a base a store bought filling. I don't have the time or talent to make it from scratch.

What could I add to flavor it up or make it reasonably edible?

Would generous portions of rum or brandy do?

In the cook, if nowhere else.

What I usually dislike about bought mince pies is that they are too sickly sweet and rather runny. I would be minded to add sultanas marinaded in brandy or liqueur, or something like those jars of Polish cherries, chopped up. Or fresh orange rind.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Mum makes fabulous mince pies (and mine are improving!) but only ever with shop mincemeat. The problem with bought mince pies is usually with the pastry and that there's too much of it in proportion to the filling which makes them dry. So if you're OK at pastry and use a good quality bought mincemeat you should be fine IMHO. [Smile]

Mind you, adding brandy improves most things! Try heating your mince pies, taking off the top, adding a generous dollop of brandy butter and then sandwiching it back together again. Eat over a plate to catch the drips! [Big Grin]

I've also got a good recipe for mincemeat streusel, which is lighter than mince pies as you only have one layer of pastry, if anyone's interested.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[QUOTE]Mirabile dictu! I found a Kroger in town (not the one I usually shop in) which has a British import section. There, lo and behold, was demerara sugar! In a 500g box. They also had jars of Marmite! As I was looking at the jar, a gentleman behind me (with a very definite British accent) said, "Jolly good on toast, you know, with a little butter." [Big Grin]

Only a "little" butter? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
<snip> I don't have the time or talent to make it from scratch. <snip>

I usually make my own mincemeat for mince pies. It really, really, isn't that arduous or difficult. Peeling and chopping the apple is probably the most fiddly bit. It's my personal 'christmas is coming' marker as it fills the house with the most tremendous smell.

I can post the recipe I use if you like.

(Failing that, yes, I would say slinging some extra booze into purchased mincemeat is No Bad Thing!)

--------------------
Captain Jack Sparrow

Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

- Posted      Profile for Mary Beth   Email Mary Beth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for your suggestions.

I was thinking of buying the mince meat filling in a jar (None Such™), making yummy additions, and placing in a ready made, unbaked pie shell. (I know my limits. [Hot and Hormonal] )

Keren-Happuch, please post your mincemeat streusel recipe. I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks.

Mary Beth

--------------------
Give yourself fully to Jesus. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love, than in your weakness. Mother Teresa

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The recipe came from my Mum so it's a little vague, but here goes:

Mincemeat Streusel
Make pastry using 6oz (175g) flour*
2 standard jars mincemeat

For the topping:
3oz (75g) white self-raising flour
1.5 oz (40g) semolina
1 oz (25g) caster sugar
3 oz (75g) butter

Roll out the pastry to a little larger than a 12x9" baking tray, line the base and sides with it, trim and patch any gaps. Spread with the mincemeat.

Put the flour, semolina and sugar in a bowl. Melt the butter, allow to cool slightly and pour onto the dry ingredients. Mix to a dough. If you have time, chill it in the fridge for half an hour. Grate the dough using a coarse grater** and spread over the mincemeat. Bake at gas 6 (don't know electric, sorry) for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

I tried this last year and it was very well received. [Smile]

* Here's Delia's recipe for pastry using 4oz flour.

** I found it easier just to crumble it with my fingers.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Try heating your mince pies, taking off the top, adding a generous dollop of brandy butter and then sandwiching it back together again. Eat over a plate to catch the drips! [Big Grin]

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. I always get told off by my family when I do it in public (though I'm pretty sure they taught it to me in the first place)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Wogan
Shipmate
# 11103

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Wogan   Email Mrs Wogan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Yangtze,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who indulges in this behaviour! I feel that the heat of the mince pies melts the brandy butter nicely. I don't like shop-bought mince pies as they are too sugary and have a little too much filling for my taste. I'll bake some to share with you [Smile]

Posts: 58 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

Thanks Keren-Happuch for the recipe. I've printed it off.

Birdie, could you post your mincemeat recipe? I somehow missed your last post.

I googled brandy butter, which I hadn't heard of before (pond thing?), and am looking forward to making up a batch.

It looks like it's going to be a very Mer-r-ry Christmas.

Mar-r-ry Beth

--------------------

Mrs Wogan
Shipmate
# 11103

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Wogan   Email Mrs Wogan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry Keren-Happuch, I didn't see that you had started the discussion about mince pies! For a discussion of brandy butter, see Nigella Lawson's books. She feels the ground almonds make for a more velvety texture. My family just put in rather a lot of brandy and icing sugar. Cointreau butter was an interesting departure, but I'll stick to brandy for now. [Big Grin]
Posts: 58 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

I can check with my mum for proportions but my grandfather's recipe for brandy butter was along the lines of "very good dear, needs more brandy"! I know it's unsalted butter whisked together with icing sugar and my mum just adds brandy until the butter won't hold any more [Big Grin]

I don't think I started the discussion really, Mrs Wogan so no apology necessary!

--------------------
Nea Fox

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
I know it's unsalted butter whisked together with icing sugar and my mum just adds brandy until the butter won't hold any more [Big Grin]

Have just asked my mum for her rum butter recipe, which I guess is similar. This is a traditional Cumbrian recipe.

Melt 4oz butter over a gentle heat, then stir in light muscovado sugar until it's absorbed all the butter. Depending on the sugar, the butter, the phases of the moon, et and so on, this can be anything between 8 ounces or 1lb of sugar. Turn the heat off, add two tbsp (ish. I find I have a very wobbly hand at this point) rum, stir gently, pour into container, leave to set.

Deborah

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mincemeat! wow... I've never had mincemeat; I've never had the nerve. I was traumatized in childhood (stop laughing, KenWritez! I can hear you sniggering from here!). You see, being an impressionable young thing of 4 1/2 years or so, I understood my mother to say men's meat and I was appalled, appalled I tell you! How can you eat men's meat? She went on to tell me how delicious it was and how much my Daddy enjoyed a men's meat pie (horrors!). I already had a sense that the Eucharist was a one-time deal and we weren't supposed to eat anybody other than Jesus...

And not too many years later she stopped making mince pies, so... Birdie, I'd love to see your recipe from scratch - it would give me some sense of whether I might attempt one, for curiosity's sake or not [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those folks like me who can't use alcohol [I tried my best for 22 years, but that's another story] taking the top off a warm mince pie and adding a generous dollop of either whipped cream or creme fraiche is delicious. Otherwise take the top off a cold mince pie, add some crumbled cheese of your choice - the purists will probably say Wensleydale but many will do just as well, I think St Agur is pretty wonderful - replace lid and then warm the pie so the cheese begins to melt down into the fruit.

Scrumptious!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

Hello again.

I generally use Delia Smith's recipe from Delia Smith's Christmas which can be found here.

That makes a lot - I think I usually make about half that. Don't for a minute think you have to do it exactly that way though - I often fiddle about with the amounts, using fewer currants and more raisins, for instance - either because of what I happen to have in the cupboard the day I make it, or just because I prefer it that way!

Dead easy though - you don't even have to peel the apples.

Somewhere else (Nigella, possibly) I have also seen the tip that if you find shop-bought mincemeat too sweet, grating over some sharp apple, or stirring in some lemon juice, will improve it.

b

--------------------
Captain Jack Sparrow

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have always found commercial mincemeat far too sickly, too.
I find that mixing a chopped cooking apple into the stuff from the jar, in addition to a little brandy, cuts the sweetness and makes it much more palatable.
I like a dollop of creme fraiche with my mincepies, the sourness goes well with the sweetness pof mincemeat.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops, cross posted with birdie, thanks to a phone call in the middle (wrong number, too!)

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a recipe for mincemeat that doesn't use suet - I'm not sure if the French have suet, so I thought it best not to use it - which is for vegetarians. It has apples & currants etc in & sounds good. I plan on making some mince pies for my friend's party on Sunday.

But, because it is for vegans/vegetarians, the recipe says to use vegan sugar. But why isn't normal sugar vegan? Do manufacturers usually use something non-vegan for an anti-caking ingredient or something?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I like a dollop of creme fraiche with my mincepies, the sourness goes well with the sweetness of mincemeat.

Since moving to North Devon I'm a convert to having clotted cream with mince pies. My wife makes mincemeat (based on Delia Smith's recipe but replacing some of the dried fruit with a quantity of dried cranberries) and a delicious pastry made with orange zest and ground almond (I think it's an Ainsley Harriott recipe so could probably be found on the BBC food website). The rich pastry and the mincemeat both absorb and begin to melt the clotted cream into a buttery, sweet, heavenly sauce.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
[QUOTE]. . . The rich pastry and the mincemeat both absorb and begin to melt the clotted cream into a buttery, sweet, heavenly sauce.

Okay, who else is salivating now?

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Wogan:
Hi Yangtze,
.... I'll bake some to share with you [Smile]

Oh yum. Please tell me you're London based and planning on coming to a shipmeet. [Biased]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thank you, birdie! Now - who can explain to me the difference between sultanas and raisins? [Confused]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
thank you, birdie! Now - who can explain to me the difference between sultanas and raisins? [Confused]

Definition of 'raisin'.
Sultanas are a paler, seedless version, also known a 'golden raisins'. The best flavoured raisins are made from muscat grapes, but they are big raisins with big seeds in them so need chopping and deseeding when being used for cakes.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For mincemeat, as for fruit cakes and fruit puddings, what matters is the total weight (UK) or volume (US) of dried fruit. You can play any games you want inside that total, mixing up whatever amounts you like of the different kinds of raisins, currents, dried cranberries, dried blueberries and so on. I substitute preserved pineapple for the cherries you find in some recipes, so I suspect you can happily substitute different fruits (within the total weight) as you like.

John

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
My wife makes mincemeat (based on Delia Smith's recipe but replacing some of the dried fruit with a quantity of dried cranberries) and a delicious pastry made with orange zest and ground almond (I think it's an Ainsley Harriott recipe so could probably be found on the BBC food website).

No it isn't, alas, at least as far as I can see. Drooling minds need to know. Any chance of a recipe?

John

Kasra
Shipmate
# 10631

- Posted      Profile for Kasra   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the weekend papers carried this recipe for alcoholic jellies. They suggest using Sloe Gin, but state that one can "dabble with other spirits, such as... vodka".

This recipe will apparently make 16-20 shot glasses-full of jelly.

400ml water
200ml gin/vodka etc (or more alcohol and less water)
120g caster sugar
3 sheets leaf gelatine

bring water to the boil, add sugar, stir until dissolved and remove from the heat. Soak the gelatine leaves in a shallow bowl of cold water until soft. Squeeze out the water, add to the syrup and stir until disolved. Add alcohol then pour into shot glasses. Refrigerate until the jelly is set (usually a couple of hours).

I don't know what this is like as I haven't tried it yet. But it might work, or at least be a reasonable quantity guide!

Posts: 309 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this talk of alcoholic jellies has made me think of the ever popular party favor.... Jello shots. It may not e what you want but after a few shots you won't care. [Biased]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Assorted flavors of jello shots were very popular at science fiction conventions about 5-6 years ago; they seem to had faded into the background roar somewhat...

It would be fun to make "finger jello shots" - basically flavored jellow with unflavored gelatin added, so it can actually be served as "finger food" - good fun for 2 year olds... and SF fans, I daresay [Big Grin]

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds good! I'm trying to make jelly to give as Christmas gifts, tho, so it has to be able to travel via mail or sneaker post.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

I forgot until just now, but I had a friend years ago who used to make champagne jelly; it was lovely. Sadly this was decades ago and she has moved and we've lost touch, so no recipe... [Frown]

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

So IOW you posted merely to torment me with the unavailability of your friend's champagne jelly recipe? LMC, yer a crool, crool wummin.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016