homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buckwheat pancakes? All the butter and syrup in the world won't cover the taste enough to make them palatable.

I don't even like the taste of honey from bees that have dined on buckwheat.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Buckwheat pancakes? All the butter and syrup in the world won't cover the taste enough to make them palatable.

I agree. We like to make blini during Shrovetide---I have a wonderful recipe, using white flour, from a Russian cookbook. One year I decided to use part buckwheat. The results were truly horrible; every year since then, my husband says, "Be sure to make the regular blini, the ones without any buckwheat."

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooohhh ... I love buckwheat. I have to grind my own buckwheat flour (use a mortar and pestle) because I can't find the find, but I did find some whole kernels. I usually add it to my multigrain bread, but now I'll have to try it in some pancakes.

And on a completely different note, here's hoping that pinto beans work as a suitable substitute for kidney beans in red beans and rice, because I picked up the wrong can. D'oh!

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:

I don't even like the taste of honey from bees that have dined on buckwheat.

(Can't help myself from offering standard cook reply)

But you haven't tried my buckwheat pancakes.

I love buckwheat. It's good and nutty and substantial. I find white pancakes a bit boring.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
And on a completely different note, here's hoping that pinto beans work as a suitable substitute for kidney beans in red beans and rice, because I picked up the wrong can. D'oh!

They'll be fine.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
However, all is not lost, if you do a search for chocolate mole sauce you will find a savoury Mexican chocolate sauce [usually served with chicken or steak] which could easily be adapted as a soup. I rather fancy adding coriander/cilantro leaf to it.

AAAH! EEP! ACK! I'm glad I wandered by.

Mole 'sauce' is more of a paste than a liquid. If you try to make it at home, you need several days, an industrial spice grinder, and about 20 different types of chiles to get it just right. And it does not taste like chocolate at all. Tastes like chiles. Yum.

Having said that, the 'secret' ingredient in my home-mixed chili powder is finely grated dark chocolate.

My Duck, what are you looking for in a chocolate soup?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, the brown beans and rice turned out just fine. The other change to my previously posted recipe was that I put in a few dashes of junkanoo hot sauce rather than just cayenne pepper. It gave a bit more depth to the flavour.

And Laura, please post your buckwheat pancake recipe (I feel a Saturday morning treat coming on)!

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
My Duck, what are you looking for in a chocolate soup? [/QB]

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll................

I really have a totally open mind. I posted the request because I mentioned 'chocolate soup' as a joke originally and two shipmates dared me to ask for a recipe and so I did.

But to be more practical, I do think there must be something savoury that would have chocolate as an ingredient. I suppose I am looking for innovative ideas with which to impress guests, as well as a sort of intellectual search for a different way to combine flavours successfully.

Does this make sense? I think I need to take my medication [Paranoid]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

My Duck, I often toss dark chocolate into my chili con carne as it lends a lovely full-bodied richness to the dish. You don't actually taste the chocolate itself.
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm I think that chocolate, potato and leek soup would be interesting.

Or chocolate pumpkin soup.

Or chocolate minestrone.

I don't have any recipes - just find one and add chocolate.

I don't think that chocolate would go too well in canned soup because they are too salty and sugary.

It'd be interesting to try in some of the spicy south east Asian soups too...

*nibbles at another square of Lindt 70% cocoa*

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will look up my new Green & Black's cookery book tonight. It does have a mole recipe, and a recipe for chocolate and coffee lamb, but I can't remember if it had any savoury soups.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not strickly a recipe but chocolate covered potato chips are surpisingly good. My mom use to make chocolate covered pretzels. It seems that salt and chocolate are not that bad of a combination.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
buckwheat pancakes might be lower GI. I might be interested in that recipe too. [Smile]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
And Laura, please post your buckwheat pancake recipe (I feel a Saturday morning treat coming on)!

I really like this recipe from Allrecipes.com (a terrific resource, by the way):
Best Buckwheat Pancakes.

They combine buckwheat and white flour for a lighter fluffier buckwheat experience. And on allrecipes recipes, you can change between metric and US and change the number of servings as well. And I would definitely follow the advice of a couple of the reviewers and add cinnamon (and I also add a pinch of nutmeg).

[ 12. January 2007, 00:43: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
chocolate covered potato chips are surpisingly good.

I warn anyone contemplating making these things: The sweet, salty, crunchy, chocolatey, savories are snack heroin.
Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, here, try this:

1 16oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 oz grated dark chocolate

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tofu. Something I want to add to the diet, mainly in light soups.

However, it is possibly the most taste-free foodstuff I know.

Today, I tried first dicing it and sloshing it in Japanese soy, then frying it - before adding it to the soup. That did confer a scintilla of savouriness.

Any other ideas for marinades?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When Neals Yard had a bakery it used to sell tofu cheesecake which was delicious, the tofu provided the creamy texture to cheesy bit. If I find a recipe I'll add it because it's one I want to use.

Tofu is OK in stir fry with whatever you throw in to flavour the veg - soy/rice vinegar/stock/etc. It's also supposed to be good with Japanese noodles and miso soup and vegetables. It also worked in veggie kebabs when it was marinaded in oil/vinegar/herb/garlic mix before grilling.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a fabulous was to cook tofu which come from Deborah Maddison's That Can't be Tofu via The Hungry Tiger (Do click on the link as she explains more)

INGREDIENTS
1 package firm tofu, drained
1 tablespoon olive oil or other tasty oil
salt
2 tablespoons soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tamari, or what have you
freshly ground pepper

TO DO
Cut the tofu into six slabs, crosswise. Blot dry. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Place the tofu in the pan, sprinkle with salt, and let cook, undisturbed, for five minutes. As the water evaporates, it may jump around a bit, but it will settle. (While it is cooking, heat your vegetables and cut your scallions. Or whatever.) Flip the tofu and cook five minutes more.

Now take the two tablespoons of sauce and sprinkle over the tofu. Let it cook a minute or two more, until the liquid has reduced away. Now the tofu is seasoned and beautifully glazed. Season with pepper and serve as you please.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
Ok, here, try this:

1 16oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 oz grated dark chocolate

Thanks Spiffy, it looks good. All I have to do is locate some canned pumpkin, and we have liftoff! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by My Duck:
Thanks Spiffy, it looks good. All I have to do is locate some canned pumpkin, and we have liftoff! [Big Grin]

Waitrose branches in Surrey had Libby's canned pumpkin in stock late last year - I don't know if they always have it, or just stocked it for Thanksgiving...

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of tofu, does anyone have a recipe for miso soup?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lazy wench that I am, I keep some instant miso soup in the pantry. But here's a recipe from a Cooking Light™ publication that sounds good. It's a little different, but perhaps you can fiddle with it if it isn't quite what you want.

Miso Noodle Soup
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves minced
3 14-1/2 oz cans vegetable broth
2 c chopped broccoli florets
1 cut carrot, sliced diagonally, 1/8-inch thick
1 c vertically sliced onion
1 tsp Thai chile paste
2 c cooked chinese egg noodles (4 oz uncooked)
1/4 c white miso.

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic, saute 1 minute. Add broth, vegetables, and chile paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat,s immer uncovered 2 minutes. Stir in noodles and miso; cook 1 minute or until miso is blended. Yield 8 1-cup servings.

eta: I just reread this and realized it doesn't call for tofu. Ooops. It looks like it could be added, though.

[ 13. January 2007, 04:44: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

How I cook tofu:

Open the package, drain the water. While still in the package, cut it into thin slabs. Fill package up with red wine, wiggle the slices so it gets everywhere. Let marinate for 30 minutes up to 24 hours in the fridge.

When you're ready to start cooking, cut up a carrot and half a medium onion, and toss it in the bottom of a 9x9 pan with about two tablespoons of olive oil, and add about 2 tablespoons of wine. Lay the slices over the top of the veg. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and basil and put in a 375F/190C/Gas mark 5 oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top turns kind of brown. Flip tofu over and cook for another 20 minutes.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Double poster of DOOM, but here's a lot of miso soup recipes.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Mamacita and Spiffy.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone got a really good roquefort recipe that they would like to share? We have some left over from Xmas and I'd like to find a suitably gorgeous way to use it up!
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Advice sought on pheasant. A friend dropped a brace of cock pheasant round on Saturday evening. The last time I plucked a pheasant was when I was a kid and I've never had responsibility for the whole process of hanging, plucking and drawing. They're decent-sized birds hanging out in the shed and the temperature in the next week is not predicted to rise above 11 degrees. Am I going to be okay if I leave them to hang until Friday (pluck and draw them then) and eat them on Saturday night (a complete week between shooting and eating)? Any tips for plucking, drawing etc gratefully received.

As for cooking, my first instinct is to roast them. But I usually get game from a butcher who is able to tell me whether they're young or mature birds - so has anyone got a foolproof way of ageing them? If they're mature I might joint them and casserole them.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Has anyone got a really good roquefort recipe that they would like to share? We have some left over from Xmas and I'd like to find a suitably gorgeous way to use it up!

Though purists might disagree I think it melts down well with an equivalent amount of heavy or double cream and a knob of butter to make a spectacular and very rich pasta sauce - this can be done in a microwave or in a double saucepan. You can also chop peppers/capsicum and/or mushrooms into it before adding the pasta. A smidgeon of Tabasco or similar and lots of freshly ground black pepper and fresh parmesan also add gorgeousness to it.

Serve with a salad in a sharp dressing.

Alternatively you can get some big mushrooms. Remove the stalks and then turn upside down on an oiled baking sheet. Coat the inside of each mushroom with a little pesto then crumble on the Roquefort. Bake for 10 minutes at a moderate heat, taking out halfway through to grind fresh black pepper over them, and serve as a fab starter.

Roquefort also tastes brilliant melted on to crumpets or as the blue bit in tricolour cheese on toast.

I'm hungry now!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
Advice sought on pheasant. A friend dropped a brace of cock pheasant round on Saturday evening. The last time I plucked a pheasant was when I was a kid and I've never had responsibility for the whole process of hanging, plucking and drawing. They're decent-sized birds hanging out in the shed and the temperature in the next week is not predicted to rise above 11 degrees. Am I going to be okay if I leave them to hang until Friday (pluck and draw them then) and eat them on Saturday night (a complete week between shooting and eating)? Any tips for plucking, drawing etc gratefully received.

According to this website,Gourmet Food Source, in colder weather you can and should hang the pheasant for more than 3-4 days or you won't get the desired gamy flavor.

quote:
Generally speaking, a pheasant, for example should hang for three to four days during a mild autumn spell but considerably longer as the temperatures fall through the winter months.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spawn, you could try Pheasants braised in Madeira; the recipe is available at www.deliaonline - just type in "pheasant" in the Ingredient box and scroll down. I tried it a few Christmases ago - it was dead easy, and right good.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spawn, you could always ask your butcher on how to prepare it (pluck and remove insides), or ask him/her to do it for you.

Hope you enjoy it!

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Spawn, you could try Pheasants braised in Madeira; the recipe is available at www.deliaonline - just type in "pheasant" in the Ingredient box and scroll down. I tried it a few Christmases ago - it was dead easy, and right good.

[Smile]

This is a good recipe, even better if you replace the madeira with a mixture of sherry and port or red wine for a more definite flavour. we find that Delia's dishes tend to be a bit bland.

--------------------

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
Spawn, you could always ask your butcher on how to prepare it (pluck and remove insides), or ask him/her to do it for you.

Hope you enjoy it!

I'm determined to do it myself (my six-year-old son is keen to help me pull the guts outs [Big Grin] ) but I've also got Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's meat cookbook to help me. However, there's no substitute for asking people with personal experience of doing it (why I posted the questions here) so I will have a word with my butcher. Thanks Laura for the confirmation on hanging. Thanks piglet and My Duck for the recipe suggestions - both madeira and the port/sherry suggestions sound very tempting.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:

As butchers have to be able to track back the meat on their premises to source, and are governed by many regulations concerning food hygeine, they are unlikely to want to prepare meat from an unknown, unverifiable and undocumented source.

I know, we've tried unsuccessfully to enlist the help of our, usually very obliging, butcher in dealing with roadkill!

You'll probably get useful advice on what to do, though.

nice simple recipe: joint pheasant, brown in butter, add sliced mushrooms, orange juice, stock and white wine. Cook in oven
until tender.

[ 16. January 2007, 12:16: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I know, we've tried unsuccessfully to enlist the help of our, usually very obliging, butcher in dealing with roadkill!

Mmmmm, roadkill. Dinner at Roseofsharon's!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pheasant should be hung for a week in warm weather but ten days or more in cold weather according to Margaret Costa (Four Seasons Cookery Book). She says it's hung enough when the tail feathers come away with very little resistance. You can also hang until it's bien faisande or high and that's identified by having a greenish tinge in the thin skin over the abdomen - personally that's too much.

You are supposed to be able to age them by the flexibility of the beak - the more flexible the younger, but I guess that takes experience and practice.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
I'm determined to do it myself (my six-year-old son is keen to help me pull the guts outs [Big Grin] )

This will be a good experience, but beware the liver! If it bursts open while still in the bird, it will spew bile onto the meat rendering it literally inedible. (Apologies to anyone who didn't want that little bit of information [Biased] ).
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Flausa for sharing that with us.

[Projectile]

[Biased]

Actually I think it is a valuable piece of information and just one more reason to remain a veggie pescatarian.

[ 17. January 2007, 03:41: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

Mmmmm, roadkill. Dinner at Roseofsharon's!!!
[Big Grin]

Wait until the spring, when I can get out to weed the garden, then we can have my speciality, ground elder (aegopodium podagraria) as an accompaniment [Big Grin]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

The tale of the pheasants. Well I finally got round to plucking and drawing them on Saturday afternoon. Not a job I'll want to do too often. I got a little impatient at times and broke the skin in a few places - so it was a good job I'd decided to joint them and braise them. The guts were pretty foul-smelling but thankfully I didn't spill the bile over the meat (thanks Flausa). My son helped me pluck but got bored before the drawing. My other two didn't want anything to do with it. I had planned to use the carcasses to make a stock but frankly it was all such a feathery mess that I just shoved them in a bin bag and got rid of them.

I braised the pheasants with red wine, and marsala. Delicious but the legs were so tough they were literally inedible, the breasts however were perfect. Had I known I could have saved myself a great deal of time and just cut the breasts off.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

[teacher voice]

Now, class: let's all thank Spawn for sharing a pretty strong argument for vegetarianism!

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have some cold boiled rice to use up but the BBC food site does not have any recipes. Am I right in thinking that it is not a good idea to reheat rice that has been cooked and cooled?
If so has anyone got any suggestions about how I can use the rice without resorting to boring rice salad? Anyway it's too cold for rice salad...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's not so old you'd worry about it growing nasties, I'd have no problems reheating it. You could use it as a base for fried rice if it's long grain, or steam it warm, or add a little more water and microwave it, or use it to make some rice fritters if it's a short grain. Or you could make a rice pudding with some milk, egg and sugar, and some sultanas.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Am I right in thinking that it is not a good idea to reheat rice that has been cooked and cooled?

Its no big deal. A day or two should be OK. There are nasty things that can happen to rice but they aren't that common and once you've smelled or tasted rice that has gone off you won;t forget it!

What you probably ought not to do is reheat it, then leave it lying around for a long time again, or cook it a third time. Recook it then eat it there and then. If you are feeling lazy then rice heats up pretty well with a quick nuke in a microwave, especially if it is reasonably dry and fluffy.

quote:

If so has anyone got any suggestions about how I can use the rice without resorting to boring rice salad?

Eat it with the hottest possible curry! As long as its at room temperature and not actually chilled it should be fine.

Rice salad need not be boring! Plenty of salt and spices, some chopped spring onions, coriander leaves, azuki beans, bits of salted fish, finely chopped chili, prawns cooked in garlic, sliced mushrooms fried in butter till crispy, Egyptian ful, roast chickpeas, pistachio nuts, spinach leaves, grilled cubes of halloumi cheese ... what's boring?

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken said
quote:
sliced mushrooms fried in butter till crispy
OOH I've got some mushrooms and like the sound of this ~ a bit of parsley, a lot of garlic... Lunch suddenly excites me. I'm off now to start chopping.
[Smile]
Thanks!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

A challenge to American cooks. I've got some slow roasted pork shoulder left over and I want to have it tomorrow with a barbecue sauce. Now my list of ingredients would be: onion, tomato garlic, mustard powder, cumin, cayenne, vinegar, soft dark brown sugar, seasonings (I might even stick in a shot of whisky). Am I going wrong on this? I've had some great pulled pork with barbecue in various parts of the US and it is always different but excellent. My version doesn't quite come up to scratch.
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spawn, the recipe I have nearest to hand says this:

5 oz dark soy sauce
23 oz tomato juice
5 oz worcestershire sauce
12 oz ketchup
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
juice of one lemon
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp basil

Mix all ingredients in sauce pan and simmer one hour. Let stand several hours before serving. yields 1/2 Gal.

You are, of course, free to experiment with various combinations and ingredients, but this will give you a rough idea for proportions.

[ETA: Got the hard words right, and misspelled jiuce!]

[ 26. January 2007, 20:29: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a good bbq sauce recipe:

1 x 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 x 28 oz cans whole tomatoes in juice
1 x 6 oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 c. distilled white vinegar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
2 T molasses
2 T paprika
2 T chili powder
2 t salt
2 t black pepper
1/2 c orange or pineapple juice
1 x 12 oz bottle pale ale
1/4 lemon or lime

Seed the tomatoes and discard seeds. Add all ingredients except lemon/lime to pot, cover, and bring to low simmer (occasional bubble) for 2 hours or until reduced by at least 1/3. Stir mixture with stick blender until smooth. Strain through fine strainer or paper towel/cheesecloth to remove any solids. Adjust seasonings to taste. Squirt lemon or lime juice from reserved 1/4 onto sauce immediately before serving.

(For a richer taste, add 2 T butter to sauce and dissolve a few minutes before serving. For a more unusual spin, add 1 1/2 T butter, 3 T black coffee, and 1 T dark chocolate shavings a few minutes prior to serving.)

[ 27. January 2007, 02:43: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A last-minute request. I need to bring a salad to church on Sunday. Well, to the post-Annual-Meeting lunch, to be exact. I'm fresh out of ideas. I could wimp out and bring a bag of baby carrots and some ranch dressing, but I did that last year. I'd like to actually do something nice this time. Any clever salad ideas out there?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016