homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pears should be in season where you are, so you could try Pear, rocket and walnut salad. Should travel ok if you give the pears 5 minutes in some lightly lemoned water when you slice them. Or you could do something nice with asparagus, or perhaps a Beetroot Salad. You could marinate some mushrooms in lemon and olive oil with some herbs overnight. Or there's always a platter of fresh vegetable crudites with a dip or two.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My fave salad is fresh pineapple, watercress and toasted flaked almonds. V simple but fresh and stunning -it makes a great starter.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bulgar Wheat, Carrot and Cranberry is a fab salad (and I don't even normally like fruit in salads)

Soak bulgar wheat in water till swollen (c 40 mins). (Any excess water can be squeezed out in a clean tea towel). Mix with grated carrots, lime juice, bit olive oil and dried cranberries. Make up in advance so all the flavours mingle.

Sorry for lack of quantities - I think I normally use pretty much 50:50 bulgar wheat and carrots with enough cranberries so they mix through and lime juice and oil to taste. Doesn't really matter though - whatever suits. You can also make it without the bulgar wheat. I guess it might also work with rice or another grain though I've never tried that.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These are wonderful, thanks. Whatever I end up taking to church, I'll try the rest at home. (I've never worked with bulgar wheat, Yangtze, but I can probably buy a small quantity at Whole Foods and try it; it sounds like a great winter salad.)

I googled "vegetable rocket" and found it's what we call arugula over here. I thought it would be romaine lettuce because that's shaped a little like a rocket!

I would love to make a salad with fruit in it (I want to use dried cranberries for certain) but I wonder how long they can sit. It's only 5 minutes to church, but then 1 hour for the service and 90 minutes for the meeting. Will pears or apples last that long after soaking in citrus?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spinach (or any salad greens), peeled grapefruit sections, dried cranberries, and walnut chunks make a good salad. For greater flavor, mix the walnuts with brown sugar and carefully toast them in the oven in a sheet pan.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mamacita, I think the pears would hold longer than apples ... it'd be very tasty with walnuts (candied or not), maybe some blue cheese, and perhaps some of the craisins.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I have a great cold fix. It might not cure a cold but it makes you feel better, tastes good and might just help get rid of the symptoms. The drawback is how long it takes to prepare.

Make a garlic and chicken consume similar to what follows.
  • half a chicken (ideally)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot or other root vegetable
  • half a pound of green vegetable
  • half a teaspoon of coriander
  • half a teaspoon of cummin seeds
  • a teaspoon of chilli (more if you desire)
  • 1 head of garlic
  • a dozen cloves
  • a dozen pepper corns
Instructions
  1. Chop up the chicken and fry in hot oil until starting to brown, put in a casserole dish.
  2. refresh oil and fry onion, carrot(or other root veg) coriander, cummin, peppercorns and cloves until onion is going soft. Add to casserole dish.
  3. chop the green veg and add to casserole dish
  4. peal the cloves of the garlic head and add to casserole dish.
  5. cover with boiling water, if using the hob add 2 inches of boiling water to allow for evaporation
  6. cook on a slow heat for as long as possible (at least four hours.
  7. turn off heat and leave to cool for a couple of hours
  8. strain liquid into a jug, maybe chop chicken finer and re-add. Empty veg and spices into bin as the goodness has all gone into the consume.
The consume should now either be cooled quickly of reheated immediately. I suggest one portion is set for reheating and the rest is decanted to boxes and cooled.

When using as medicinal purposes.
ingredients
  • consume as above
  • a serving of whisky per serving
  • juice of half a lemon per serving

instructions
  1. reheat consume so it is about to boil
  2. take off heat and pour into bowls
  3. add whisky and lemon juice
  4. eat immediately

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jengie, that seems a conflation of the Jewish (chicken soup) and the Scottish (whisky) remedies for all ills.

As such, it ought to be doubly effective.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have heard chicken soup referred to as "Jewish Penicillin".

[speeling]

[ 27. January 2007, 23:19: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Jengie, that seems a conflation of the Jewish (chicken soup) and the Scottish (whisky) remedies for all ills.

Its actually got a third in which is the high dose of garlic so hopefully triply effective. [Biased]

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Its actually got a third in which is the high dose of garlic so hopefully triply effective.
My god, a few chilies and you've got the elixir of life.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks again for the salad suggestions, folks. I decided not to risk the fresh fruit, but settled on romaine lettuce with craisins, pecans (I candied them myself -- I'm so proud), lots of blue cheese, and a balsamic/olive oil dressing. Taking home an empty bowl from a potluck is always rewarding!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We reckon Jambalaya made with homemade chicken stock is good for a cold - that adds garlic and chilli to the mix. It certainly makes you feel better, and it's tasty so it's not bland as chicken soup can be with a cold. I've not tried adding whisky too, yet.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Bland with a whole head of garlic, plus various spices! This is garlic and chicken soup not the other way around!

Yes Firenze there will be Chilli in todays along with tumeric as well.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Thanks again for the salad suggestions, folks. I decided not to risk the fresh fruit, but settled on romaine lettuce with craisins, pecans (I candied them myself -- I'm so proud), lots of blue cheese, and a balsamic/olive oil dressing. Taking home an empty bowl from a potluck is always rewarding!

That sounds lovely (I adore blue cheese in a salad) but what on earth is a craisin? A typo or some kind of mutant cranberry raisin?

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You've got it Yangtze. The word craisins was actually trademarked by Ocean Spray.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Anyone got any bitchin' lentil recipes? Particularly any loaf ones (OK for dahl and soup) and/or ones that go well with sausages?

Open to input on polenta/cornmeal as well. At the moment I usually make it up with vegetable stock, then top with parmesan and bake.

I am looking, you see, for 'fillers' that aren't based on potatoes, rice or pasta.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Rose Elliot in Vegan Feasts gives a rocking recipe for Mixed vegetable Dal. Its worth getting the book for that but there is also a lentil loaf a couple of pages on.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a lentil paté recipe on Channel 4's Come Dine With Me show web page, it's from the latest series and was made by a woman called Sue.
It looked really yummy!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

I've just found the yummiest ever lentil recipe. It's from Ruth Watson's Fat Girl Slim which is a cookery book well worth investing in whether or not you're trying to lose weight.

Cook one chopped onion, 2 crushed garlic cloves and 1 small chopped chilli in some olive oil for 10-15 mins. Add wee pinch of turmeric, a cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 4 bashed cardamon pods - fry for a minute or so. Add 175g lentils and about half a litre of stock*. Bring to boil then simmer uncovered for 15-20 mins. Season then add two chopped tomatoes and some chopped coriander or parsley. Should be sloppy but not runny/soup like.

*I think it depends what type of lentils you use as to how much stock to add. I used green which needed only about 400ml - she suggests Puy and 700ml.

I didn't have star anise or tomatoes or coriander to hand at it was still delicious. I don't think I added salt at all.

I'll definitely be making it again.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make a similar mixture up as a lentil quiche filling, particularly good for irritating real men who neither eat quiche or lentils, but very tasty. It comes from Gail Duff's Wholefood Cookbook.

Fry 1 large onion and finely chopped garlic clove in 45ml (3tbls) oil until golden, stir in 225g (1/2lb) red lentils and cook for 1 minute, add 575ml (1pt) stock and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer with a bayleaf for 45 minutes until have a thick puree.

Scald, skin and roughly chop 225g (1/2lb) tomatoes (or used tinned chopped tomatoes). Put in a pan with 30ml (fresh) (2tbls) chopped basil, 15ml (1tbls) chopped thyme and 15ml (1tbls) chopped parsley and cook for 15 minutes so they are soft and pulpy. Gradually beat the tomatoes into the lentils.

Put mixture into pre-baked 20cm (8") wholemeal pastry case and sprinkle 50g (2oz) grated Cheddar or Gruyere cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes.

Also makes little quiches done as above, but using bun tins to give little finger versions for buffets and picnics or packed lunches.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Thanks for these. I am printing them off carefully. I'm sensing a symbiosis between the lentil and the tomato and the cheese - which is all to the good.
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone for burnt veggi sausages, slimy mushrooms and over-boiled veg? [Hot and Hormonal]

If I can't even get that sort of thing right.....

What an idiot I must be. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Anyone for burnt veggi sausages, slimy mushrooms and over-boiled veg? [Hot and Hormonal]

Fry some finely chopped onions with butter in a largish frying pan.

Chop your failed sausages, mushrooms, up into pieces about a centimetre or two across, put them in the pan.

Add fresh ground pepper, and some herbs, and slightly too much salt.

Bind it all together with a couple of eggs and perhaps a sprinkling of grated cheese, and call it a Spanish omelette. No-one will know the difference. Not even you, if you are the only one eating it.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you mean chargrilled sausages, champignons a l'escargot and legumes a la ma grand mere (snail mushrooms and veggies like my nanna's, without the accents).

There will always be other meals.

ETA: or do Ken's suggestion, sounds tasty and its true, anything suits an omelette.

[ 29. January 2007, 19:12: Message edited by: Ferijen ]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you. Will do that, then. [Smile]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
1 small chopped chilli

In recipes like this, what kind of chili do you use? (I'm guessing not jalapeno, maybe green chilis?) Also, fresh or canned?

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Fry some finely chopped onions with butter in a largish frying pan.

Chop your failed sausages, mushrooms, up into pieces about a centimetre or two across, put them in the pan.

Add fresh ground pepper, and some herbs, and slightly too much salt.

Bind it all together with a couple of eggs and perhaps a sprinkling of grated cheese, and call it a Spanish omelette. No-one will know the difference. Not even you, if you are the only one eating it.

This reminds me of a family special, compote de réfrigérateur. This is how we get rid of fruit or veg that is near to going off, but too good to toss out. If it's fruit (any kind), you slice it up, dot it with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, and make a streusel sort of topping (combine a little, brown sugar, cinnamon and ground whatever-nuts-need-to-be-used and mix with melted butter) and cover it, then bake in oven at 350 for 40 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or trickle cream over it.

If it's vegetables, we give it the ken treatment above for a brunch or dinner "fritatta". It tastes great anyway, but serve with champagne just in case. Nobody will remember a thing! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
1 small chopped chilli

In recipes like this, what kind of chili do you use? (I'm guessing not jalapeno, maybe green chilis?) Also, fresh or canned?
If I were making that recipe I'd probably use a serrano (or two - I like 'em spicy), but a jalapeno would do well.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
quote:
1 small chopped chilli

Honestly I don't think it matters. (Though probably best not to use a pickled jalapeno.) I'd go for a red chilli for preference though - depends on your taste as to how spicy a one you pick. I either just used a random one picked up in the greengrocers, or the remants of an old one slowly drying in the fridge or quite possibly didn't use one at all but added a bit of chilli powder.

Having said that, I don't think you want anything too searingly hot - it's good to have the flavours of the cinnamon and star anise shine through. For that reason I probably wouldn't use a Scotch Bonnet (whihc are the hottest ones easily accessible around here). The whole feel of the dish is more North African than Carribbean or Indian.

I forgot to say that it definitely gets even better with age - good one to keep in the fridge for a day or two.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I have this problem.

I want to make a sort of borscht. For once I have a recipe and intend to follow it, sort of. I do not intend to do as suggested, however, and purchase smoked chicken wing tips (where in heaven's name do you buy smoked chicken wing tips) to boil up as the basis of the stock.

Chicken stock I have. How do I get the smokey dimension the tips would have provided? Smoked sausage? Smoked chicken (that one can buy in a deli, rather like "smoked ham")? Ideas, anyone.

(The recipe is from Gourmet, so it assumes a whole lot -- most of which I can actually manage for once. But smoked chicken wing tips? I ask you. It should produce a borscht like the one I ate as the first course at a dinner catered by the local Russian Orthodox church. Yummm.)

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Borscht normally uses a beef or pork base IME, so I'd probably substitute some form of smoked pork, either in the piece or as a smoked sausage. Most recipes I see for smoked chicken wings involve removing the tips before smoking anyway.
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mertide:
Borscht normally uses a beef or pork base IME, so I'd probably substitute some form of smoked pork, either in the piece or as a smoked sausage. Most recipes I see for smoked chicken wings involve removing the tips before smoking anyway.

I would actually attempt this recipe, provided it was not extremely time consuming and hard to follow. I would attempt it IN SECRET since I am a horrible cook. I want to live dangerously though and I have NEVER EVER had a good borscht!

Recipe anywhere? [Axe murder]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
WatersOfBabylon
Shipmate
# 11893

- Posted      Profile for WatersOfBabylon   Email WatersOfBabylon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine's birthday is coming up, and she wants a stop-your-heart decadently rich chocolate cake with a frosting of the same calibur.

Help! Any suggestions?

Posts: 515 | From: I'm a nomad. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like this rich chocolate mud cake with chocolate ganache. The recipe specifies a particular brand of cream, because it's put out by that company, but any thickened cream (35% butterfat) would work equally well. Of course, this recipe only works if the birthday celebration is before the beginning of Lent. [Razz]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

This one gets the thumbs up from my sister-in-law the chocoholic cake lover. She even had chocolate cake for her wedding. Just use good semi-sweetened chocolate or even bittersweet and you won't go wrong.

If you have only 9" pans bake it for no more than 50 minutes. This is very rich, more than most chocolate cakes.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard that if you use Coke or Dr. Pepper instead of water that your cake will be very moist.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This may be a trans-Pacific thing, but I find the idea of putting cola in a cake (especially alongside the sort of quality ingredients in the recipes Mertide and I linked to) really hard to come at. I imagine that the sugar would be what makes a difference to the moisture level. While it might be interesting to try with a simpler cake recipe, I'd be very wary of tinkering like that with a more elaborate recipe.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experience, though - after all, several of my friends swear by a scone (US biscuit) recipe made with lemonade.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

From a friend of my sister, warning this is very rich.

Tracey's Chocolate Cake

ingredients
  • 5oz of self raising flour
  • 6 oz of castor sugar
  • 6 oz of soft margarine
  • 3 oz of drinking chocolate powder (I use Green and Blacks)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons boiling water

(Preheat oven to 180° C, 350° F or gas Mark 4)

instructions
grease and line a 8-9in cake tin. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir gently to begin with until all are combined. Then beat hard for two minutes. Put in cake time and bake in the centre of the oven for about 1 hour until well risen and firm. Leave the cake in tin for 5 minutes then turn onto wire tray to cool. Put cream in the middle and decorate top with chocolate.

Jengie's changes to make a chocolate and cherry cake
I soak cherries in Kirsh over night and break up a bar of Green and Blacks cherry chocolate. Drain the cherries and stirr in just before I put into the cake tin. Instead of cream in the middle I put a tin of drained cherry's in with a cherry jam and mix together.

My sister ganache for the top
The ingredients are a bar of the best quality cooking chocolate (the higher the cocoa content the better) and a small quantity of single cream (1 tablespoon). Melt the chocolate but do not let the water boil below it, add the cream and stirr. You can substitute kirsh for the cream.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If that were any more decadent, I would have to preach against it. Wow!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

I wonder if the phosphoric acid in Coke reacts with the rising agents? I could see it making it fluffier, but not so sure about moister. I have heard Coke is very good for removing baked on grease from pans, perhaps that's what makes the cake taste better. [Smile]
WatersOfBabylon
Shipmate
# 11893

- Posted      Profile for WatersOfBabylon   Email WatersOfBabylon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've used both Coke and 7up in cakes before. (Though not the same cake. Bleh!) But they were most definitley fluffy and moist...
Posts: 515 | From: I'm a nomad. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cranmer's baggage:
This may be a trans-Pacific thing, but I find the idea of putting cola in a cake (especially alongside the sort of quality ingredients in the recipes Mertide and I linked to) really hard to come at. I imagine that the sugar would be what makes a difference to the moisture level. While it might be interesting to try with a simpler cake recipe, I'd be very wary of tinkering like that with a more elaborate recipe.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experience, though - after all, several of my friends swear by a scone (US biscuit) recipe made with lemonade.

It's just a way adding flavor/fluffiness/moistness by replacing water. If your recipe uses coffee or other types of liquid I would not tinker with it.

What I should have posted earlier is: For surprising results you can use Coke/7-up* in a store bought mix. Use a good frosting such as buttercream. It will taste oh so much better.

*coke for chocolate and 7-up for vanilla.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

You'd substitute the water and sugar for the coke or 7-Up, surely, or at least part of the sugar? Otherwise you're adding a lot much syrup or HFCS than the recipe would seem to need, almost a teaspoon of sugar per ounce of Coke.
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
What I should have posted earlier is: For surprising results you can use Coke/7-up* in a store bought mix. Use a good frosting such as buttercream. It will taste oh so much better.

*coke for chocolate and 7-up for vanilla.

I can see how that might work. I guess I wasn't thinking in terms of packet mixes because I never use them.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

In a fit of overenthusiasm I appear to have sprouted a rather large quanitity of mung beans. Anybody have any good ideas of what to do with them beyond snacking and adding to salads?

[Edited for clarification - it's mung bean sprouts I have a lot of, not just the dried mung beans, though I have those too!]

[ 01. February 2007, 09:45: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

Mung bean sprouts - use them in a stir friy or curry laksa?

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been making lots of ice cream at the moment, which tends to mean that I've left with a lot of egg whites. Any suggestions, apart from meringue (which I've also been making in large quantities, though I'd appreciate a perfect recipe for that too), for what to do with the eggwhites?
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I am in a bit of a silly mood, so if you have greasy skin, beat up an egg white, mix in lemon juice and use as a face pack.

Another easy is to make Chinese scrambled eggs. They beat the yokes separate from the whites and only quickly combine just before frying. You therefore do not need a one to one ration of egg yokes to egg whites.

Jengie

[ 01. February 2007, 18:33: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by My Duck:

But to be more practical, I do think there must be something savoury that would have chocolate as an ingredient. I suppose I am looking for innovative ideas with which to impress guests, as well as a sort of intellectual search for a different way to combine flavours successfully.

Does this make sense? I think I need to take my medication [Paranoid]

Tonight Foodtv aired battle chocolate on Iron Chef America. And yes there was savory dishes. Including a version of Spiffy's pumkin soup. This show is a must see. Unfortanately the show has now upped the stakes on Valentines day dinner. And yes I shall have to cook since Pata does not wish to battle crowds this wednesday.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016