homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
I've been making lots of ice cream at the moment, which tends to mean that I've left with a lot of egg whites. Any suggestions, apart from meringue (which I've also been making in large quantities, though I'd appreciate a perfect recipe for that too), for what to do with the eggwhites?

If meringue or pavlova doesn't appeal, freeze them for when it is appealing (clip lock or clip zip plastic bag, labelled with the number of egg whites)

Alternatively, it is a great binder for things like rice bakes (cooked rice, green onions, salmon or tuna, bit of cayenne, garlic and parsley with perhaps a little soy sauce for saltiness mixed with egg white and baked in a moderate oven for about half an hour)

C

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
what to do with the eggwhites?

Angel Food cake uses 12 egg whites!

If you are making an ordinary sponge cake or carrot cake you can substitute 2 egg whites for 1 egg in the recipe. I would suggest that you only do it for one of the eggs. The same thing can be done with omlettes, use 1 egg and two egg whites instead of 2 eggs. Some recipes for omlettes only use egg whites.

Another suggestion is chocolate mousse. These generally use double the number of egg whites to egg yolks.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Death by Chocolate"

Step 1 - the brownie

Step 2 - cocoa meringue

Step 3 - chocolate mousse

Step 4 - chocolate ganache

Step 5 - mocha mousse

Step 6 - assembling Death by Chocolate

I have not yet made this, but I've heard stories.... This is *big* chocolate juju, not for timid or nervous persons, nor those given to fits of the vapors.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've been making lots of ice cream at the moment, which tends to mean that I've left with a lot of egg whites. Any suggestions, apart from meringue (which I've also been making in large quantities, though I'd appreciate a perfect recipe for that too), for what to do with the eggwhites?

Make sorbet using the beaten egg-whites to lighten the frozen fruit puree. Or fruit mousse which is very nice with home-made ice cream too.

<My Duck drools quietly into the keyboard>

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
What can I do with about 1/4 of a jar of leftover mincemeat?

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
You don't have to do anything with it just now. It will keep for quite some time.

You could keep it til February and add apples, and make it into a Christmas Crumble.

I made something along those lines, but in a more Ready Steady Cook manner, in the end yesterday. I sliced some eating apples and layered them with the mincemeat, to which I added a good slug of rum - we'd inexplicably run out of brandy and the mincemeat was rather dry. Put some more rum on the top for good measure and topped with crushed digestives dotted with butter. I shoved it in the oven for a while at gas 4 and served it with vanilla icecream. Worked pretty well, though that might just have been the rum!

Failed to knock the Keren-Gumblet out for the evening though... [Two face]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have managed to accumulate rather a lot of minced beef and diced steak in my freezer. Other than cottage pie, spag bol, and casserole (which I have done a couple of times each) and chili (which I am not especially keen on), does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do with it?
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mix the mince with chopped onions and other veg, herbs, spices and use to stuff peppers, tomatoes or other suitable veggies.

Pie or pudding with the diced steak; mushrooms are a favourite addition at My Duckery as is red wine or ale of course.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wowx, Ken, that recipe for The Chocolate-iest Pudding of All Time (TM) has turned me into a pool of drool [Razz] (this being the early stages -desperately need a drooling smiley), I may have to try that even if it does involve undoing all my good work mentioned in The Fitness Freaks thread [Two face] .
Stuffed tomatoes or peppers sound yummy, I second them for using up leftover beef mince.

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aubergines are also good stuffed. You could make meatballs with a tomato sauce too or there were loads of meatloaf recipes on here a while back...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could make 'jiaozi' or Chinese Dumplings (or potstickers) which is particularly timely as they're eaten a lot at Chinese New Year.

Traditionally made with pork, but perfectly OK to use beef or any other meat. Huge faff to make but delicious. If you can find the wrappers in a Chinese grocery shop it will be much, much easier!

Don't forget the Chinese vinegar to dip them in. Yum.

Couple of recipes here and here .

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by caty the southerner:
I have managed to accumulate rather a lot of minced beef and diced steak in my freezer. Other than cottage pie, spag bol, and casserole (which I have done a couple of times each) and chili (which I am not especially keen on), does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do with it?

Little meatballs mixed with whatever interesting goodies you've got lying around, with finely chopped onion and garlic, mixed in with herbs and grated parmesan, shallow fried in olive oil and butter, first at a higher heat and then a lower heat to cook through. Great with rice or noodles.

--------------------

Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
Little meatballs go really well with heaps of root vegetables in a tomato-ey sauce and coucous.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In winter, little meatballs , especially with lots of parsley or other herbs, are delicious additions to soup.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness, it looks as if Aussies really like meat balls. Three posts in a row, all from Aussies.

Actually meatballs like that are one of the few ways I will eat red meat.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Other than cottage pie, spag bol, and casserole (which I have done a couple of times each)

This puzzles me. A casserole is a cooking utensil, not a recipe.

There are lots of different recipes, using diced beef, that can be cooked in a casserole. Do you only know one? What are the other ingredients for it?

I will be casseroling some diced shin of beef later today: probably with onions, carrots, celery, beef stock and red wine.
I could make a goulash, spicing it with paprika, or maybe casserole the meat with lots of onions and beer, or with diced (bell) peppers, onions and tomatoes.
If I had a more tender cut of beef I could cook it with mushroms and cream, and maybe some wholegrain mustard.

The possibilities are endless ! [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
There are lots of different recipes, using diced beef, that can be cooked in a casserole. Do you only know one? What are the other ingredients for it?

I will be casseroling some diced shin of beef later today: probably with onions, carrots, celery, beef stock and red wine.

If I'm casseroling beef I usually do some combination similar to this, depending what veg happens to be around. The question was intended more as - what can I do with the diced beef other than cook it in a casserole?

I tend to have poultry/pork/fish a lot more often than beef so I have a lot more receipes for those than I have for beef. So having somehow accumulated stacks of beef in the freezer, I've been trying work out as many different things to do with it as possible.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm definitely going to have to try doing meatballs now.

And I do like the sound of casseroling with mushrooms, cream and wholegrain mustard.

[ 14. February 2007, 14:01: Message edited by: caty the southerner ]

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The question was intended more as - what can I do with the diced beef other than cook it in a casserole?

Well. once it's cut up there's not a lot you can do with it other than cook it with a sauce...apart from kebabs if it's a tender cut.
The other alternative is to use one of the many casserole recipes, thicken the sauce more than usual, add a topping to the cooked dish, and Voila! A pie! (I usually strain off most of the liquid and serve it separately)

Suggested toppings:
Pastry, obviously, but apart from puff pastry or plain shortcrust pastry which can be bought ready made you could make herb pastry or a cheese pastry.

Or make a beef cobbler: cover the filling with overlapping circles of scone dough (unsweetened of course) Again you could do a herby or cheesy variation.

Or a beef crumble: Again, an ordinary crumble mix, minus the sugar. Plain, herby, cheesy, or with chopped nuts in it.

Or a crumb topping : whiz a couple of slices of buttered wholemeal bread in a food processor, adding herbs or cheese if you prefer, spread over the cooked filling, sprinkle with sesame seeds, return to the oven until piping hot.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: minced beef; you could also use it in a Tex-Mex recipe: Tacos, taco salad, enchilada, burrito, sope (pr: SO-peh, a fried cornmeal bowl, usually packed with taco fillings), tostada, beef empanada, beef and rice, albondigas (meatball) soup.

Cornish pasty comes to mind, as does beef pot pie.

Swedish meatballs (with mushroom gravy over noodles), Italian meatballs (in tomato sauce).

Heck, if nothing else, form them into patties and have hamburgers!

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

More minced( ground) beef recipes:
Moussaka
Poor Man's moussaka (as the above, but substituting potato slices for the aubergine (eggplant))
Bobotie

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brown beef, saute onions and garlic maybe peppers. Add seasonings (oregeno, cumin, garlic, basil, whatever). Add rice and beef or chicken stock. cook until rice is done. I like to add some habenero sauce to it. I do this all in one pan.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, there's also always rissoles - like large meatballs with finely chopped onion, a little tomato sauce if you like, an egg, and a little fresh breadcrumbs, rolled into balls about 4-5 cm or more if you like, and browned, served with gravy (brown gravy), mashed potato, and whatever other veges you have. From the 1960's school of Oz cookery, still faithfully followed here.

Or curried mince, mince browned with chopped onion, and some curry powder/paste and other chopped veg if you like, cook with a little stock and cornflour if too runny(add sultanas according to traditional Mum cookery) and serve with rice. Or savoury mince (as above, but with a little mustard and Worcestorshire to taste instead of curry). Or there's always the old favourite "Chinese mince" which stirfries mince, onion, carrot, celery and vast quantities of cabbage with soy sauce (again, add veg as you please). This is actually not too bad if you bung in some garlic and chilli at the beginning, and when cabbage is cheap, a little mince goes a long way. You can use less cabbage, add some noodles, and call it chow mein. Hobart was quite eclectic in the 60's. [Smile]

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we talking minced or diced?

Minced I assume means ground to little wormy splidges, but diced is chunks anything from a centimetre to an inch across.

If chunky, fry it.

Put mushrooms in pan first, with olive oil, fry for about ten minutes, then add the beef and a few cloves of garlic and some baby onions - or larger onions chopped into pieces about the same size as the beef - and cook in oil for ten minutes or so, until its all browned off, adding more oil if it gets dry or sticky, then add a little coriander (seeds and leaves, why skimp?) and some ground black pepper, and splash red wine all over it, and cook very gently for another ten minutes or so, maybe with some basil or even rosemary.

Eat it with the potatoes you cleverly remembered to have already cooked.

What could be wrong with that?

Or for the full-on Normandy style, cook in butter rather than olive oil, skip the coriander, use loads of ground pepper, replace the herbs with chopped apples (cook them till almost soft) use cider instead of wine (calvados if you are putting the boat out, but cider is very cheap and tastes nicer) and mix it with cream just before eating.

We've got to keep those cardiologists in business.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
This puzzles me. A casserole is a cooking utensil, not a recipe.

Around these parts it's both - just like a terrine or a tagine in other culinary contexts.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

FAST & EASY BROCCOLI SOUP

This is the best-taasting, easiest, fastest broccoli soup recipe on the planet. You truly cannot screw this up. (This is from Gordon Ramsay's "F Word" show.)

Note: I followed this recipe with fear and trembling, convinced it was going to be a bowl of watery bleah. No! It was thick, tasty, savory, and all before I added salt or olive oil! I now prefer it adding nothing at all.

SERVES 4

+ 2 lbs broccoli florets (stalks cut into 1/2" wide discs)
+ Boiling, salted water

In a large saucepan or stockpot, add the broccoli to the rapidly boiling, salted water. Cook for 4 minutes. Remove broccoli with slotted spoon but do not discard water yet.

Pour broccoli into a blender and add enough of the cooking liquid to come 1/2 way up the jar.

Secure the lid to the blender top and place a small towel over the lid (remember: You're blending hot food!). Pulse the blender until the broccoli is pureed (five or six one-second pulses). Add salt and/or olive oil to taste. Add more cooking liquid and pulse again if too thick.

Serve in warmed bowls.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's mad isn't it how broccoli and water combine to make a creamy soup. First time I made it I was stunned as well.

Tis good with a swirl of yoghurt and some parmesan shavings.

[ 15. February 2007, 22:01: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
You could make 'jiaozi' or Chinese Dumplings (or potstickers) which is particularly timely as they're eaten a lot at Chinese New Year.

Traditionally made with pork, but perfectly OK to use beef or any other meat. Huge faff to make but delicious. If you can find the wrappers in a Chinese grocery shop it will be much, much easier!

Don't forget the Chinese vinegar to dip them in. Yum.

Couple of recipes here and here .

I was very amused the first time I saw them referred to as "potstickers" as the Cantonese word for them is (something like*) "wor-tip" which basically means "things that stick to your wok"

*I don't know anything about the Cantonese transliteration conventions.

Dumplings are great to have on hand in the freezer. If, like me, you don't have a non-stick pan, you can boil them. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, throw in a handful or two of frozen dumplings. Stir them around a bit to prevent sticking to the saucepan. When the water bubbles, add half a glass of cold or room temp water. When it boils again and the dumplings float, they're ready. No frying = no added oil = healthier!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liza
Shipmate
# 4366

- Posted      Profile for Liza   Email Liza   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't tried that soup yet, Ken. I admit I was rather skeptical when I heard about it (I thought it was on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, but perhaps it was on the F Word too, I don't remember). But with your recommendation, maybe I'll try it. It is certainly simple enough!

--------------------
For in Thee is the fountain of life, in Thy light shall we see light.

Posts: 425 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Dumplings are great to have on hand in the freezer. If, like me, you don't have a non-stick pan, you can boil them. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, throw in a handful or two of frozen dumplings. Stir them around a bit to prevent sticking to the saucepan. When the water bubbles, add half a glass of cold or room temp water. When it boils again and the dumplings float, they're ready. No frying = no added oil = healthier!

Oh absolutely. Boiled - either drained or with some of the water as a sort of 'soup' - is how I generally have them. Fried is a special occasion kind of thing.

I was taught that you add a large ladleful of cold water (say half a cup) bring it back up to the boil and then do that two more times (ie three times in total) and that's when they're cooked.

--------------------

Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As it's Shrove Tuesday ...

As usual on Shrove Tuesday, we ate pancakes this evening. A few years ago I tried sprinkling Angostura bitters on them, along with sugar. Heavenly! I've carried on doing this every Shrove Tuesday since. Maybe I should try rum or brandy in future, but the herbs in the bitters are so good in pancakes!

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re Ken's warning about blending hot soup, get a hand-held blender - I think Braun make one. You plug it in, hold the business end in the soup, press the button and whizz round until the soup is the desired consistency. That way you don't even need to take the soup out of the pot you cooked it in. Better still, to clean it you just switch on and run the blade end under a hot running tap. How easy is that?

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Re Ken's warning about blending hot soup, get a hand-held blender - I think Braun make one.

Your idea sounds good, but IMO it's not the best way to handle this recipe.

Initially, you want to add about half a blender-full of cooking liquid to the cooked broccoli pieces in the blender jar. Stick-blending the broccoli in *all* the cooking liquid will result in a diluted soup. Not good eats.

You could end up adding more or less than half a blender jar full of cooking liquid, depending on taste.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

FD has just discovered corned beef, courtesy of my mother and is now keen for any interesting ways of serving it.

I think this might be an Aussie terminology and am not sure whether it is/was common elsewhere under another name. By corned beef I mean a piece of brisket or silverside simmered with vinegar, brown sugar, herbs and spices. As a child the traditional serving was either cold on sandwiches (not so great unless with a ferocious chutney) or served hot with a sauce and veges. Does anyone have any ideas?

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over here in the UK, they call it salt beef. I grew up in the USA having it every Saint Paddy's Day cooked slowly with potatoes, onions, carrots, and cabbage. Yummm.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the US, the two ethnic groups most often identified with corned beef are the Irish (hence Flausa's St Pat's day dinner) and Jewish. My experience of corned beef is at the deli, piled high on rye bread, slathered with mustard. And a kosher pickle on the side.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd never tasted salt beef until I came to Newfoundland, where it's an essential element of a Jiggs' Dinner - the beef is boiled with potatoes, turnip, carrots, cabbage and pease pudding. It's served either as it is or accompanied by roast chicken or turkey with savory-flavoured stuffing. When cooked by someone who knows what they're doing, it's a feast fit for a king.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I'd never tasted salt beef until I came to Newfoundland, where it's an essential element of a Jiggs' Dinner - the beef is boiled with potatoes, turnip, carrots, cabbage and pease pudding. It's served either as it is or accompanied by roast chicken or turkey with savory-flavoured stuffing. When cooked by someone who knows what they're doing, it's a feast fit for a king.

[Smile]

Wow. This is definitely FD food. I think I need some recipes for pease pudding as well

--------------------

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm inspired to hark back to childhood and experiment with making some ginger beer. (The embryonic plant is sitting in the kitchen as I type - no action yet.)

Different recipes call for addition of lemon juice and pulp. Lemon is likely to be more attractive than ginger in the home: how much lemon do you reckon the brew could stand before the acidity affects the fermentation and carbonation?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ramsey
Apprentice
# 12412

- Posted      Profile for ramsey   Email ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
FD has just discovered corned beef, courtesy of my mother and is now keen for any interesting ways of serving it.

I like hot slaw with corned beef. To wit:
HOT CABBAGE SLAW

1/2 head cabbage
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tbsp. celery seed

Cut cabbage and onion in small pieces. Sprinkle celery seed over this. Bring other ingredients to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture. Serve warm.

[Edited for code -- Mamacita, Heavenly Host]

[ 05. March 2007, 04:00: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
All shall be well; all manner of thing shall be well. The Blessed Julian of Norwich.

Posts: 11 | From: rockport, tx, usa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, ramsey!

I edited your thread to fix the coding. There's a thread on the Styx board where you can practice doing quotes and other such formatting (using the nifty buttons at the bottom of the screen you post on).

Enjoy your time on the Ship!

Mamacita,
Heavenly Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ramsey
Apprentice
# 12412

- Posted      Profile for ramsey   Email ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Welcome, ramsey!

I edited your thread to fix the coding.

Thank you very much, Mamacita. I'm afraid it was inattention instead of ignorance, however.

--------------------
All shall be well; all manner of thing shall be well. The Blessed Julian of Norwich.

Posts: 11 | From: rockport, tx, usa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
In the US, the two ethnic groups most often identified with corned beef are the Irish (hence Flausa's St Pat's day dinner) and Jewish.

I had the best brisket ever (not corned) at a neighbor's Passover dinner. Heavenly and very easy.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiredwalker
Shipmate
# 12202

- Posted      Profile for Tiredwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heavenly if you love eggplant, hell if you don't

-Slice eggplant into 1/8 inch rounds
Sprinkle rounds with salt on both sides and let sit for 10 minutes (takes away bitterness).
-Rinse and very lightly coat with olive oil.
-Place tomato slices on each round and sprinkle with italian spice blend
-Broil @ 400 on a rack until eggplant & tomatoes looks a little soft and a little sunken.
-put shredded or crumbled cheese (anything you like) and let melt and brown a little if you like.

Posts: 59 | From: New England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Dumb question about eggplant: Are you supposed to peel it? (The recipe sounds good, btw.)

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I don't peel aubergine. It goes very mushy when cooked, so apart from anything else, you need the skin to hold it together.

There is also a school of thought which says you don't have to salt them before cooking. That the aubergine we buy is young and tender, and the process was meant to improve older, tougher ones.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i love aubergine...

what does "broil" mean though? Does it mean I put it in the oven (we would say bake) or under the grill (wed say grill?). It sounds like "boil" to me but i take it you dont mean to put it into a saucepan on the stove!!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emma: grill is broiling (a USA term)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
There is also a school of thought which says you don't have to salt them before cooking. That the aubergine we buy is young and tender, and the process was meant to improve older, tougher ones.

I think I only ever did that once, the first time, when I was intently following the recipe book. After that I couldn't be bothered, and things seemed to taste okay in spite of it.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:

I think this might be an Aussie terminology and am not sure whether it is/was common elsewhere under another name. By corned beef I mean a piece of brisket or silverside simmered with vinegar, brown sugar, herbs and spices. As a child the traditional serving was either cold on sandwiches (not so great unless with a ferocious chutney) or served hot with a sauce and veges. Does anyone have any ideas?

Corned beef in the UK comes in a tin. It's a bit like Spam (only made of beef, durr...) but more crumbly. Cheap food, which can nevertheless be made to taste good, particularly at the end of the month when we're broke! (We cook a pan of potatoes, carrots and onion boiled in stock, and then add the corned beef and continue to cook till it all goes mushy. Nice with a pastry lid on top too.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

Thanks Ramsey and everyone for scrummy ideas. Might be trying a few of these this week...

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a bowl of cheap lemons sitting in the table & they need to be used before the weekend.

Short of chopping them up and throwing them in the water jug for supper each evening ( which is lovely) what can I DO with them?

thanks

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016