homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No bacon allowed. No pork or beef at all. That's why we were dealing with ground turkey. It doesn't stick together nearly as well as beef or pork.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Can anyone tell me what to use in making meatloaf if you can't use eggs?

Ground turkey makes ok burgers with no binder.

Otherwise, you could try flax seed or a commercial egg replacer.

Grabbing my copy of The Allergy Cookbook I find a "teriyaki meat loaf" with cooked rice, soy, and honey to bind it.

There are many, many allergy recipe sites on the internet, of course.

[ET: remove tomato refernce [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 27. March 2007, 11:56: Message edited by: Henry Troup ]

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lots of Yay:
In other news I made two most excellent cakes on the weekend - flourless chocolate (with 70% cocoa Lindt in it)

How did your flourless chocolate cake turn out? Mine had a tall and crispy edge, a lower and moister centre. But people ate it up and it certainly was chocolatey. I cut it in squares from a square pan.

Somebody makes a "maze" pan for people who like brownie edges; that would have been the ideal tool.

It makes me want to explore chocolate souffle; in spring when I can get goose eggs. (My wife has a sensitivity to chicken eggs, so major egg dishes have to be other kinds of eggs. I can often get quail eggs (tiny!) year-round; goose in spring and sometimes in summer; we just scored some pheasant eggs this week.)

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I have a solution for you Moo well for a cold meat loaf and I got it by accident.

Chicken Jelly

Buy some chicken wings (I suppose turkey wings would do but they don't sell them here). Cook in water to cover for a long time. Leave to cool and it will set pretty well. So to make the meat loaf all you'd need to do is to roast the turkey, break it up, mix with slightly warmed jelly and leave to set.

I am pretty sure this must have been known to cooks in the past but the tendency to get de-boned meat

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anybody with any suggestions for enlivening my children's school packed lunch. I tend to give them a sandwich or roll, a tupperware of fruit segments, or fruit salad which I've cut up myself and a yoghurt. Sometimes, I'll replace the sandwich with a mini-cornish pasty (homemade by a friend and sold in local shops), or a wrap. I'll sometimes put in some flapjack (made by my wife) or cheese straws (also homemade). Infrequently, a pasta salad. Frankly, I'm bored with making packed lunches - the kids haven't complained yet. But I'd be grateful for any relatively healthy ideas.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo, you might try either rice or a panade of bread made with some non-dairy moistener - broth or soy milk if milk isn't allowed. Egg substitute if you can find it.

Spawn, those lunches sound non-boring, nutritious, and tasty - but here's a link to The Vegan Lunchbox blog for inspiration.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spawn, do your kids eat peanut butter? You can make "ants on a log" -- a length of celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
Originally posted by Lots of Yay:
In other news I made two most excellent cakes on the weekend - flourless chocolate (with 70% cocoa Lindt in it)

How did your flourless chocolate cake turn out? Mine had a tall and crispy edge, a lower and moister centre. But people ate it up and it certainly was chocolatey. I cut it in squares from a square pan.

Somebody makes a "maze" pan for people who like brownie edges; that would have been the ideal tool.

It makes me want to explore chocolate souffle; in spring when I can get goose eggs. (My wife has a sensitivity to chicken eggs, so major egg dishes have to be other kinds of eggs. I can often get quail eggs (tiny!) year-round; goose in spring and sometimes in summer; we just scored some pheasant eggs this week.)

On the subject of flourless chocolate cakes, I cooked this cake for a friend's birthday yesterday, and would definitely recommend it. I didn't choose it because it was flourless, but I heartily recommend it! Nigella's Chocolate Cloud Cake
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lunch box? Hmmm. I suppose messy is out?

Nuts are good. Little bits of cheese. Hummus. Other various dips. Breadsticks. Toast "soldiers" (with or without Marmite, but with is more fun). Carrots, maybe cut into sticks. Samosas. Grapes. Cucumber. Why is cucumber the only green salady vegetable half the children in England will eat. Bits of pizza. Its full of lovely vitamins, honest. Not that they are likely to be short of vitamins anyway.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How old are these kids, Spawn? You may find the only person who wants variety and interest in the lunchbox is you. I've known kids who only wanted vegemite (change cultural reference) sandwiches every day for years.

You might also be surprised at how little is actually eaten - when I did tuck-shop (aussie schools don't generally supply meals en masse) there would be huge numbers of sandwiches and pieces of fruit thrown in bins so the kids didn't have to take them home to anxious parents. If you are able to volunteer at the school at lunchtime, take a look at your kids class eating area.

Whatever it is, don't make it tricky to open (lots of cling-film or stiff packets or vacuum boxes), don't make it too big (especially fruit). Kids want to eat fast and then go run for the lunch break, they don't want to sit and admire your fancy lunch. It may be a simple cheese sandwich and a few grapes and a drink is all that's needed.

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Spawn, do your kids eat peanut butter? You can make "ants on a log" -- a length of celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins.

Like there isn't enough to do in a morning without trying to cram *&%$ peanut butter into a celery stick, painstakingly stick it with raisins and then figure out how to store it so it won't be a godwaful sticky mess when the kids get to school and then they tell your kids you can't bring anything with peanut butter. [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, Lord knows *I* never bothered with such artistry, but I'm impressed with Spawn's dedication.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
Frankly, I'm bored with making packed lunches - the kids haven't complained yet. But I'd be grateful for any relatively healthy ideas.

Cold pizza is manna. Send your kids to school with a couple of slices of this in their lunchboxes and you'll cement your role as Coolest Parent in a World of Sucky Parents.

Soup or Stew in a Thermos. There a jillions of different variations on these two themes. Accompany them with some crusty artisan bread, slices of cheese, a Tupperware container of salad, and for dessert, fruit.

Cold sliced roast and veg. Pack in a zip-top bag, along with artisan bread and some good mustard.

Tacos and burritos Think of these as Hispanic versions of the sandwich. Stuff the tortillas with whatever you like.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have soaked, cooked, drained and cooled a stupidly large amount of soy beans.

I've made an African Spinach and Soy stew with them; I've added them to salads, I've tried blending them with oil,garlic and salt to make a bean dip.

What else can I do with the blasted things? I know they're fantastically healthy but I'm getting bored of them.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

I used to do this with cream cheese - it doesnt take any longer than spreading it on bread once youve got the knack. I then used to put it in a small tupperwear tub on top of a slice of kitchen towel. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Might do this again!!! I think it was quite a normal thing when I was at school

[ 29. March 2007, 09:39: Message edited by: Emma. ]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the subject of feeding kids....

I have been wondering today about pasta salad. The kids and I all really like it and I know in my heart of hearts it would be far cheaper (and a far better example) to make it myself than to buy the little ready-made individual pots of it. But if I did make it, what would its "shelf life" be? How long would I be able to keep it in the fridge? (I assume it wouldn't freeze).

Yes, I know I'm hopeless, but after years of ready-meals because of pressure of time, I'm now hoping to get a little more domesticated and cook a little more often.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Pasta salad ... if I did make it, what would its "shelf life" be? How long would I be able to keep it in the fridge?

Depends on the ingredients other than pasta. If the sauce is creamy/milky or of there is meat in it I'd say a day or two.

If just basic pasta in tomato sauce with maybe some onions or slices of mushroom or raw veg no reason it couldn't last a week if kept cool and voverd.

quote:

I assume it wouldn't freeze.

No real reason why not. Again, it depends on whats in it. Freezing & thawing will tend to soften the pasta a bit. Soft fruit is a no-no and crispy veg like lettuce or celery tends to be rather sad and soft after freezing. but most other thigns are OK. And how many kids will willingly eat lettuce anyway?

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
What else can I do with the blasted things? I know they're fantastically healthy but I'm getting bored of them.

Crush them and mash them up with garlic spicy stuff and some flour and maybe tomatoey stuff and roast it. Soya is pretty bland so you want to add as much flavour as possible.

Perhaps even big onion rings neatly arranged on top or bay leaves or the whole thing just one layer of a kind of layered thing with slices of potato or tomatoes or courgettes or maybe cheese.

They could be the basis of the filling for a veggy Shepherd's Pie.

Or mashed up into little patties you can make bean burgers out of them. Again you want something sticky and squidgy to hold it together and something spicy to give it taste.

--------------------
Ken

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This week's veg box has just arrived and there's a bag of what looks like lamb's lettuce in it. There are no other salad ingredients so can I do anything else with it?

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the ideas Ken. Some kind of layery, spicy, cheesy thing might be good.

Problem I find is that when crushed or blended they don't exactly go soft and fluffy a la chickpeas (or indeed pretty much any other kind of pulse) and just tend to stay in small hard bits. But that might add something to cottage pie.

Keren-H: how about including the lambs lettuce in a salad with grated (or julienned) carrot, sliced onion, mushrooms (if you had them in the box)...

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
This week's veg box has just arrived . . .

This may a pond thing, but just what does this mean? Is there someone who just randomly delivers vegetables? Do you not have any idea ahead of time what is coming?

Inquiring minds and all that.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
This week's veg box has just arrived . . .

This may a pond thing, but just what does this mean? Is there someone who just randomly delivers vegetables? Do you not have any idea ahead of time what is coming?

Inquiring minds and all that.

We get an organic vegetable box delivered once a week with locally grown produce. There are lots of schemes like it in the UK - dunno about across the pond. We always get carrots and onions but the rest is a surprise each week, which livens up my cooking no end on the occasions when we get a mystery vegetable. [Smile]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So it's like an organic veggie co-op, then? I seem to remember seeing something similar here, but it's not all that common. We do have a local farmer's market, however. The one here in Lynchburg is one of the oldest in Virginia, dating back to the 1700's IIRC.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've offered to make quiche for Easter.

Anybody got a good, easy, non-F***-up able recipie?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I've offered to make quiche for Easter.

Anybody got a good, easy, non-F***-up able recipie?

For the pastry or the filling?

I'd buy ready-made pastry at the supermarket. Hows that for cheating? Life's too short, etc, etc.

Filling? Onions and cream. All you need.

Or taking it in parts, the liquid that surrounds the solid filling is basically cream. And egg stiffens it if you like that sort of thing. So does cheese but its not authentic. And we aren't making a pizza! Just stir it together with herbs of choice (thyme, marjoram is good, basil for a slightly mediterranean feel, maybe some precooked spinach or other leaves, more salt than you prohbably think you need.

Then there is the solid filling, which is basically onion, but I'd not throw up the chance of putting in little bits of ham to make it tastier if you like that sort of thing. Sliced olives, capers, plenty of black pepper, if you like that sort of thing. No need for tomatoes, we really aren't making a pizza! Sliced mushrooms and chopped spinach both good.

Then you make a tart case oput of the pastry in a dish, put the filling in, pour the gloop over it till it is all but full and bake it till it smells good.

Easy [Biased]

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Just to point out if you are being properly French quiche has eggs and cream in the filling. Cheese is forbidden. Everything else, even the onions, is optional. Its just that I like onions.

I like cheese too but that's not quiche - well its not quiche Lorraine. So it would be unfair to mention that chunks of feta cheese (or Halloumi for more stiffness) with mushrooms chopped to about the same size, and spinach, make a good tart. If not a real quiche.

--------------------
Ken

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pre-made cruts-- oh, goes without saying.

but, but, but... as to the insides-- preportions? baking time? texture of filling? etc.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
So it's like an organic veggie co-op, then? I seem to remember seeing something similar here, but it's not all that common. We do have a local farmer's market, however. The one here in Lynchburg is one of the oldest in Virginia, dating back to the 1700's IIRC.

If you googled up CSA (community supported agriculture), you might find if someone in your area was doing it.

The farmers appreciate the year-round cash flow and the consumers get a price break on fab organic produce, as long as they're willing to deal with possibly unfamiliar fruit and veg.

Charlotte

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Aims puppy-dog eyes at Charlotte)

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Miss Kelly, I am not a quiche maker. I would check a cookbook I trust and then tweak the innards. I am actually looking for an eggy breakfast casserole thing that I can take for Easter Vigil and might need to just wing it.

However, if you have a mini-muffin pan (available at Targay) and are willing to do minis, I have a kick-ass recipe for mini-quiches using Pepperidge Farm puff pastry for the crusts. In fact, I'm making some to freeze and bake up for Easter coffee hour, with asparagus and goat cheese (a very tasty and spring like combo).

Generic version of the recipe (from the Dec 2006 Fine Cooking, where they used bacon, leeks, and Cheddar):

Makes 48

2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/4 cup half and half
1 cup (about 4 oz) cheese
3 cups veggies and/or meat (cooking first recommended)
Salt, pepper, seasoning to taste
1 package pepperidge farm puff pastry (2 sheets)
Oil spray

Prep mini-muffin pan by spraying with PAM or similar product (I'm thinking of using the flour-and-oil spray this time).

Thaw puff pastry (keep it in fridge when not working on it). Roll sheet out to at least 10 by 18 inches (flour the board). Cut out in 3" circles and fit circles in cups. One sheet should make 24 "crusts" or close to it.

Combine other ingredients. Fill up to the top of the crusts.

Repeat for other sheet of puff pastry. Refrigerate the scraps and use elsewhere.

Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes or freeze, uncooked. You can store them in a bag or container after they've solidified - recommend wax paper layers. They're supposed to take longer to cook from frozen, but I was told it took 15 in our church's somewhat crappy oven. They also recommended popping the tarts back in the muffin pan, but I'm going to try on the baking sheet. You could also bake them earlier, and heat them up on a baking sheet.

I went to three different stores to find asparagus that wasn't huge ... these things are not big [Biased] .

Charlotte

[ 04. April 2007, 05:36: Message edited by: Amazing Grace ]

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can somebody who knows these things confirm my thinking (or tell me I'm wildly off base), please?

As I understand it, American "all purpose flour" is what we in the UK call "plain flour" i.e. flour with no added raising agents.

Is this correct?

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
As I understand it, American "all purpose flour" is what we in the UK call "plain flour" i.e. flour with no added raising agents.

An Irish friend of mine who lived in the US for awhile describes all-purpose flour as no-purpose flour. It is a mixture of hard and soft flour; it is not hard enough to make excellent bread, and it's too hard to make good pastry.

It's fine for cookies, but that's all. American cookbooks call for all-purpose flour because the authors don't know any better.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

AGs recipe looks fine, but its a sort of cheese omlette in pastry, not actually a quiche!

I don't think you can really specify baking times as ovens all differ - you just have to do it till it smells right. Maybe that's why I can bake bread but I'm not so good at pastry and totally crap at cakes!

--------------------
Ken

Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whether this counts as a quiche or not according to ken, I wouldn't like to say, but its the recipe I use and hasn't gone wrong yet. Its all very negotiable - substitute normal onion for spring onion, cheddar for feta, add fried bacon etc to give you roughly the right amount of stuff.

9" pastry shell

4 spring onions, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
100g feta cheese
15g butter
100g courgette / zucchini, cubed
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 eggs
100 ml / 1/2 cup milk
50 ml / 1/4 cup single cream / half and half

Put spring onions and pepper in a bowl. Crumble in feta and mix. Fry courgette in butter for 2-3 min until slightly softened. Add to bowl with herbs and mix. Tip into pastry case. Whisk together eggs, milk and cream and pour over. Bake 35-40 min at 180C / 350F/ Gas 4 until set.

If you're feeling sophisticated you can bake the pastry case for 10-15 min before putting the filling in, which is meant to stop it from going soggy. I don't usually bother, and no one complains.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of Yay , I usually find that very wet recipes work best for gluten-free, so I've never tried gingerbread. I always use the Doves Farm g-f flour and do a fairly straight substitution, although they do suggest adding more liquid. Perhaps an extra egg would help? Pastry seems to work best with egg instead of water, so gingerbread might follow the same principles. I can give you my standard gingerbread recipe if you like, but as I say, I've never tried it g-f, so don't know how it would work.

And the orange poppy seed cake sounds good - any chance of the recipe? I've got some poppy seeds that need using!

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:

An Irish friend of mine who lived in the US for awhile describes all-purpose flour as no-purpose flour. It is a mixture of hard and soft flour; it is not hard enough to make excellent bread, and it's too hard to make good pastry.

It's fine for cookies, but that's all. American cookbooks call for all-purpose flour because the authors don't know any better.

Moo

Rosamundi -- right -- no raising agent. There is no usual North American equivalent of the Uk "self-raising flour" we see in some UK recipes. Using them, we have to figure out just how much baking powder to add.

APF is, as Moo says, a mixture of hard and soft. English "plain" flour is likely to be all hard. But the difference is small.

And I'm not sure it's the cookbooks' fault, Moo. It used to be impossible to buy hard or soft flour, rather than all purpose, except in health food stores or specialty shops. It's onl in the last 10-15 years I've been seeing them in regular supermarkets. You can't blame cookbooks for targeting to what people are likely to be able to buy. (on the other hand, I remember when every "Gourmet" recipe called for pureed kiwi fruit and/or unsalted butter+sea salt, at a time when none of them were easily obtainable around here)

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Well, actually, you can buy "self-raising flour" in many groceries that I've seen, just not all of them.

Protein content varies wildly between UK and US flour (and within US flour ranges). We have more hard (protein/gluten-rich) Canadian and midwestern wheat in our blends, so it behaves differently. It's ok for most breads (no need for what Brits call "strong flour"), but tender pastries such as pie crusts and cakes need help. The gluten that makes bread so delightfully chewy is not a desirable quality in cake.

I presume that Moo can find a low-protein blend such as White Lily in her market. I'd be surprised to see it around here.

The Regular Grocery and the Hippie Grocery have both stopped selling cake flour in the pink box, which annoys me, as this makes the Posh Grocery the single source and I go through supplies for my brownies. Maybe I should write the manager a letter and ask them to restock it.

Charlotte

--------------------

Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo, coming a little late to this request, but for future reference, a good non-egg binder for meatloafs is made with ground flax seed and water.

Use one tablespoon ground flaxseed, and three tablespoons water. Whisk together, and cook in the microwave until thickened. Give it a stir, it should be roughly as thick as a beaten-egg or a little thicker. This replaces 1 egg, and can be used in the more whole-grain type cakes or cookies as well.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Thanks, Ferdzy.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thanks y'all. I got

A prepared crust

Cream
Eggs
Broccoli
(coughcough lookaway, ken cough)
and I have an onion, but I also got a shallot, as I like shallots better than onions. Does it make a big difference what bulb I use?

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly, if you wish to make it a pie you can use...

4 eggs
1cp cream
salt and pepper to taste
green onions
other ingredients
bacon and guyere
sausage and cheddar
turkey/chicken and swiss

I don't remember what temp you cook at but you can use the toothpick test to check for doneness.

No I do not care if you think that quiche does not have cheese. [Razz] In my defense most americans will expect quiche to have cheese and be made in mini-cupcake form. I assume Kelly is interested in making the quiche in a pie tin. Either way you can get back up .

[ 05. April 2007, 02:15: Message edited by: rugasaw ]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Bite your tongue! That's what Mom suggested! [Smile]

Thanks, y'all. for the variety of baking/ preperation/ filling suggestions. I think I have enough to get started now. Will let you know about the responses.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Kelly said:
Does it make a big difference what bulb I use?

I'm sure Al Gore would appreciate it if you use a compact fluorescent bulb... or perhaps one of these [Votive] Enjoy! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am, for literally the first time ever, and slightly against my conscience, roasting a chicken.

I have washed it, dried it, stuffed some quarted lemon up it's arse, coated it with olive oil and sprinkled a chicken OXO cube on to it and stuck it on gas mark 5 into the oven for an hour and a half (I am due to retrieve it at 6:30pm UK time).

I hope this is right as I doing this for a guest, and the entire process is, in my view, mildly disgusting. I'm still not sure why I had to stuff lemon up it's arse.

So, have I got it more-or-less right? [Help]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes you have got it more or less right.

The only essential you need to know is how to check if it is cooked. instruction 3 on this page tells you how to do that and the note at the end tells you what to do if it isn't. You can use a sharp knife if you don't have a skewer.

Jengie

[ 05. April 2007, 16:36: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never stuck a lemon up the arse of anything, chicken or not. Not that I plan to either.

On the other hand a bit of fresh lemon (or lime) juice in the poaching water adds a nice flavour to fish, so maybe that's the reasoning behind the chicken getting stuffed.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
I've never stuck a lemon up the arse of anything, chicken or not. Not that I plan to either.

As far as the chicken is concerned, don't knock it till you've tried it! The whole lemon gives you zest as well as juice and is an easy-peasy way to make extra-tasty roast chook. (Organic lemons if possible for this ... I have a tree so it's no prob for me.)

I usually cut the back out (it goes in the freezer for making stock later), whomp the chook flat, and put lemon slices under the skin, but the quarters or whole in the cavity is an easier way to do it.

Charlotte

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Thanks y'all. I got

A prepared crust

Cream
Eggs
Broccoli
(coughcough lookaway, ken cough)
and I have an onion, but I also got a shallot, as I like shallots better than onions. Does it make a big difference what bulb I use?

No.

I often sub shallots for onions.

Charlotte

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
[QUOTE] <snip> Organic lemons if possible for this ... I have a tree so it's no prob for me. <snip>

I love the concept of having ones own lemon tree. It sounds impossibly exotic to me. I appreciate that things grow differently in different climates but am finding it very hard to get my head round the idea of having a lemon tree in one's back garden in the same way we might have an apple or plum tree.

And how wonderful just to be able to go down and pluck one when you need some lemon juice rather than having to go to the market.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lemon juice brings a wonderful tartness and acidity to foods, it really wakes up flavors.

To increase the flavor when roasting a chicken, toss a few sprigs of rosemary in the bird's cavity and then slide some pats of butter under the bird's skin, above the meat. These will melt and baste the meat.

If you really want to kick the flavor up, dust the exterior of the bird in kosher salt and wrap it in plastic wrap and let sit for 3-4 hours. Unwrap, add the butter and rosemary, and cook as usual.

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016