homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably about 1 in 5 or 1 in 4 human beings are infected with Salmonella in Britain anyway. I'd be astonished if they got eggs down to 1 in 10,000 without irradiating them.

If you aren't immunocompromised or very old, very young, pregnant, or already ill, the danger is small.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
If you aren't immunocompromised or very old, very young, pregnant, or already ill, the danger is small.

That would be me, then. (immunosuppresed, that is.)

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I knew you weren't very young nor a geezer, so I was going with "pregnant." Glad to see I was wrong!

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent]
Always check the itemized bill after hospitalization. I found a charge one one bill for a pregnancy test. I assured them that had I been pregnant, there would be a LOT of explaining to do. [Paranoid]
[/tangent]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why am I hearing Ricky Ricardo say, "Lusy! You got some 'splainin' to do!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I bought raspberry vinegar. And now I'm wondering why (because it looked cool, I was in France for the day, and wanted to buy something different).

SO what would you use it for?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
I bought raspberry vinegar. ...snip...SO what would you use it for?

In a vinegar and oil salad dressing, a sauce for chicken or fish, or straight-up green beans or maybe broccoli.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm looking for some inexpensive starters ideas, which are either cold, or easily heated up. More summery than wintery.

I have smoked mackerel paté ( sm mack fillets & cream cheese, with parsley) and rillettes etc. Does anyone have other suggestions?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm looking for some inexpensive starters ideas,

Things on bread - eg bruschetta. Interesting, crusty bread (ciabatta for pref) sliced, topped with tomato, or tomato/olives, drizzle of olive oil, bake in the oven.

Dips. Hoummous (lemon, chickpeas & tahini) with pitta breads halved and cut into smaller pieces, then baked/toasted to dip.

Or fruit; melon and 'parma' ham (ie, any very thin-cut proscuitto-like ham). Even - if you happen to have quality ingredients - a fan of thin ly sliced avocado dressed with lime juice and halved cherry tomatoes in a light vinagriette, with freshly torn basil leaves tossed over. Maybe an onion ring or two.

Or baked egg - individual ramekins with one egg, slurp of cream, sprinkle with cheese and bake. Serve with toast.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting, Firenze - a baked egg? How long and for what temperature? What does one want to end up with? Something kind of poached or completely hard or ??? trying to imagine it...

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baked eggs:

See here

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think they're also known as shirred eggs. My grandmother used to make them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse ~ this might be too un-sophisticated, but people seem to love them: (my son showed me how to make them)
You need pickles(we like dill); cream cheese, room temp to spread; deli ham, or hard salami.
Spread some cr. cheese on a slice of ham, put a pickle on one end & roll it all up. Stick toothpicks in to make secure & slice into rounds.
You can upscale it some my using pepper/herb cream cheese, & peppered ham, or something similar. THey look pretty arranged on a platter & kids & grown ups like them. For cheap food treats, like for 4-H, use baloney, lol.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just thought y'all foodies would like this...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm looking for some inexpensive starters ideas, which are either cold, or easily heated up. More summery than wintery.

Goat cheese and crusty bread and/or crackers.

Crudites and ranch dressing

Pecan halves coated with honey and roasted

Melon balls skewered with chunks of manchego cheese and good ham

Braunschweiger on crackers garnished with a dollop of horseradish or mustard, and then a chive spear

Cold, cooked asparagus tips and mayonnaise

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tiredwalker
Shipmate
# 12202

- Posted      Profile for Tiredwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse,
My aunt used to make a fruit dip for all of our parties. It's not very sophisticated, but there was never a drop left.
Simply whip equal parts of real whipped cream (already whipped with sugar) and cream cheese. Then provide an assortment of fruit to dip in it. Strawberries, apples, kiwis, and grapes go really well. When presented well, it is appropriate at any affair.

Posts: 59 | From: New England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice ideas so far, thanks folks.
These are good, but I will happily accept any others.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
Interesting, Firenze - a baked egg? How long and for what temperature? What does one want to end up with? Something kind of poached or completely hard or ??? trying to imagine it...

It comes out fairly hard - a bit like a hard boiled egg. Nice if you put a bit of ham in the bottom of the dish first.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cream cheese and rasberry chipolte jelly (any hot jelly will do)

Tortilla roll-ups - spread cream cheese on tortilla add strip a of roasted pepper, ham and chopped kalmata olives roll them up and slice them into rounds.

Anti-pasta - sit out a mix of good olives, deli sliced meat, cheese, and crackers or crusty bread slices.

In a frying pan cook pecans, sugar, cinnamon, and a couple of tablespoons of water. Cook until water is evaporated.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rugasaw:
[QB]
Anti-pasta - sit out a mix of good olives, deli sliced meat, cheese, and crackers or crusty bread slices.QUOTE]

ante-pasta, surely?

(Have I ever told my maternity-unit funny story on SoF?)

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard that you can freeze ginger and grate it frozen, and also that you can grate it and then freeze it. Has anybody tried either way and does it work?

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse, not sure if you want pre dinner nibbles ideas or first course ideas, but for the pre dinner nibbles some nice toasted pitas or interesting crackers with artichoke dip (from Delicious magazine last year - 280g jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained, pureed with can of cannellini beans, drained, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, tablespoon of flat leaf parsley and some olive oil to make the right consistency). The other artichoke heart trick is to wrap a piece of proscuitto around an artichoke heart - yummy.

If you want something a little more substantial, mango, shelled and deveined prawns tossed together in a mayonnaise with some sweet chilli sauce is rather fine too.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rugasaw:
[QB]
Anti-pasta - sit out a mix of good olives, deli sliced meat, cheese, and crackers or crusty bread slices.QUOTE]

ante-pasta, surely?

(Have I ever told my maternity-unit funny story on SoF?)

If you eat enough ante-pasta at one setting you will be anti-pasta [Biased]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What non-alcoholic substitute can be used for sherry in making trifle? Preferably something cheap...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Orange juice is good.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mayday, mayday.

I bought two farmed barramundi in the supermarket today. I intend to have them for dinner tomorrow. But my fish cookbooks are TOTALLY SILENT on the subject of b'munni.

Oz shippies, rally! (But not anything that involves flinging them on the barbie. Not in Scotland in April.)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
What non-alcoholic substitute can be used for sherry in making trifle? Preferably something cheap...

Traditionally it was jelly

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

This is to soak the spongecake, beneath the fruit and jelly?
I would have thought a fruit juice to complement or match the fruit you are using, or maybe even a smoothie?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Mayday, mayday.

I bought two farmed barramundi in the supermarket today. I intend to have them for dinner tomorrow. But my fish cookbooks are TOTALLY SILENT on the subject of b'munni.

Oz shippies, rally! (But not anything that involves flinging them on the barbie. Not in Scotland in April.)

This site seems not to require flinging on the Barbie.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barramundi...I'd be sticking to herbs, lemon juice and olive oil for a short marinade before frying or grilling with maybe a sprinkle of toasted flaked almonds to serve.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Barramundi...I'd be sticking to herbs, lemon juice and olive oil for a short marinade before frying or grilling with maybe a sprinkle of toasted flaked almonds to serve.

And don't overcook them! [Frown] Dried out fillets are disgusting.

Frying/grilling would allow you to see how they are cooking. You could also make parcels of aluminum foil and put herbs, lemon slices etc and bake them. Again they won't take long. Probably no more than 20 minutes if they are quite thick, less for thinner pieces.

Looking at your site, I think most of the recipes seem fine. I'd avoid the barrumundi taco. It's a waste of sweet, tasty fish.

[ 22. April 2007, 07:10: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Ok, amalgamating several recipes, I think the whole fish, marinaded in lemon juice & oil, baked in foil and served with smothered leeks and potatoes, the whole sprinkled with crisped panacetta.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I agree about the orange juice but try to avoid using jelly, it really is not necessary. And anyway it's yukky!

Sponge then fruit then possibly another thin layer of sponge and more fruit, a little orange juice or whaever poured over to moisten and then the custard which should be stirred constantly in a jug until cool before pouring.

If making a raspberry trifle, unlikely at this time of year, then cooking a few raspberries with a little water and a little sugar then pureeing to make a juice is fab too - you can add orange juice to this as well, if you want. Remember the sponge should be moist but not soggy.

Now I'm hungry!

I don't know the fish in question but Firenze's idea sounds fab - with the trifle afterwards!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What are

quote:
...smothered leeks and potatoes...
??

[Aargh, need to remember that Preview Post is my friend]

[ 22. April 2007, 16:26: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Final version of the barramundi: I decided the whole fish were a bit scaly and bony to make convenient eating so -

I did the leek and potato ('smothered' just means sliced, layered and cooked in a closed pan with a very little liquid) and at the same time baked the fish in foil, in the oven. Then I stripped off the skin and bones and laid the bits of fish on top of the vegetables, poured a little cream round, and put the lid on again for a few minutes until everything was heated through. Meanwhile frying the pancetta until crisp.

Serve soft mound of creamy leek, potato and fish, sprinkled with crispy, salty bacon.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
('smothered' just means sliced, layered and cooked in a closed pan with a very little liquid)

Ah, I think what you cooked was braised leeks and potato. "Smothered" means 'covered with other food,' a la "steak smothered in onions." At least, that's the only definition I've ever seen and used in the west and south US.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I did the leek and potato ('smothered' just means sliced, layered and cooked in a closed pan with a very little liquid) and at the same time baked the fish in foil, in the oven. Then I stripped off the skin and bones and laid the bits of fish on top of the vegetables, poured a little cream round, and put the lid on again for a few minutes until everything was heated through. Meanwhile frying the pancetta until crisp.

Gosh, that sounds yum.

Do you think 'smothered' is a particularly Scottish expression for a dish cooked as you describe?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I have a notion I picked up the usage from a Sophie Grigson recipe.

I tend to think of it as applying particularly to vegetables cooked in their own juices - for which you need a low heat and a tightly lidded pan.

'Braise' is broader - I would use it for slow cooking meat.

But I suspect it is all chefSpeak a la Melange of Truffled Sea Urchin Nestling on a Mille-Feuilles of Arugula and Dawn-gathered Petit Pois Drizzled with a Balsamic Reduction and Dusted with Fennel Pollen.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
and Dusted with Fennel Pollen.

Oh, I must remember to try that , when my fennel is in flower! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
quote:
and Dusted with Fennel Pollen.

Oh, I must remember to try that , when my fennel is in flower! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Apparently it is a Real Ingredient - see here
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Apparently it is a Real Ingredient - see here

I don't doubt it...but it's a bit poncy, doncha think? An ingredient for impressing Michelin judges?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze

You are aware that further south (I hope England but it might be South Africa) if you say "smothered" you mean liberally covered.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
but it's a bit poncy, doncha think? An ingredient for impressing Michelin judges?

Nope, it's a legit ingredient. I have recipe for the best roasted tomatoes I've ever eaten that uses it.

There are no poncy ingredients, only poncy people.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Firenze

You are aware that further south (I hope England but it might be South Africa) if you say "smothered" you mean liberally covered.

You see, to me, that usage of 'smothered' is no less chefSpeak than 'nestling'. You could say 'covered with' and 'on' with no loss of meaning and some gain of clarity.

Whereas a cooking method which is involves covering tightly, excluding air and trapping heat, is something like the idea of smothering.

And with that I'm off to whip the cream, beat the eggs and bully the beef (no recipe, just fun...)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I saw this tidbit in Sunday's paper, I just knew that it had to go on the recipe thread. See, here in the upper midwest, we are about to be hit with one of the plagues: the 17-year cicada (locust) infestation. So here is a recipe I will not be trying:

Soft-Shelled Cicadas

1 C Worcestershire sauce
60 freshly-emerged 17-year cicadas
4 eggs, beaten
3 C flour
Salt and pepper to season flour
1 C corn oil or slightly salted butter

Marinate cicadas, alive in a sealed container, in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. [This step may be skipped and you may go directly to the egg step.]
Dip them, in beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently saute them until they are golden brown.
Yield: 4 main dish servings.

Other recipes can be found here, along with a disclaimer. Apparently you're supposed to check with your doctor before actually eating cicadas. Right.

[ 24. April 2007, 02:03: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder whether these are the kinds of locusts John the Baptist ate in the wilderness. Without the Worcestershire sauce, of course.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, dear, I read the recipe and literally shuddered. Reminds me of an organization (club, society?) I read about that meets very occasionally to eat all manner of strange and weird, to put the matter as positively as possible, "food." This would be their kind of yummy. [Confused]

[ 24. April 2007, 22:04: Message edited by: DaisyM ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only distant relatives, if that. The 17-year critters are genus Magicicada and aren't "real" locusts, so I'm sorry if my attempt at scientific shorthand was, well, unscientific. There are different species of locust on the Arabian peninsula and they are, I've just discovered, allowed under the food rules in Leviticus.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

well, sure - you don't expect that John the Baptist wasn't keeping kosher, do you?! [Biased]

Last year in Oklahoma and Iowa the cicadas were amazing - sometimes literally producing a roar... [Eek!]

We don't have cicadas *or* fireflies/lightning bugs... [Frown]

--------------------

Talmudnik
Shipmate
# 9339

- Posted      Profile for Talmudnik   Email Talmudnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
well, sure - you don't expect that John the Baptist wasn't keeping kosher, do you?! [Biased]

He problably was since there are 4 types of kosher locusts...
Insects
With three exceptions, all bugs and insects are forbidden as treif (un-kosher). The exception is a type of locust from the Arabian peninsula; this type of locust encompasses four distinct species of locust. The tradition for identifying which species of locust were and were not kosher has been lost among all Jews except the Jews of Yemen. The Grasshopper and beetle are also kosher.

--------------------
The longest journey you'll ever take is from this world to the next. Make sure you are prepared. R' Yaakov Culi, MeAm Lo'ez

Posts: 576 | From: Montreal | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016