homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

Marinate cicadas, alive in a sealed container, in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. [This step may be skipped and you may go directly to the egg step.]
Dip them, in beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently saute them until they are golden brown.

Isn't there a step missing before dipping them in the beaten egg? [Ultra confused] I can just imagine the cicadas beating the eggs even more. Or are they cooked like lobsters, except with a coating [Confused]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

Marinate cicadas, alive in a sealed container, in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. [This step may be skipped and you may go directly to the egg step.]
Dip them, in beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently saute them until they are golden brown.

Isn't there a step missing before dipping them in the beaten egg? [Ultra confused] I can just imagine the cicadas beating the eggs even more. Or are they cooked like lobsters, except with a coating [Confused]
I'd suspect that the recommending marinading in Worcestershire sauce in a sealed container would likely do them in. It would me.

But even if you omit the marinading process, I somehow doubt that those people who would eat the cicadas would get overly fussed about whether the insects were being cooked alive (while smothering in the coating) or not.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well, if you think about it, cooking a live cicada is kind of like cooking a live lobster, but on a much smaller scale... [Eek!]

Talmudnik, that's a great link - thank you! Funny, the debate about whether honey is kosher; the Hebrew scriptures being full of references to the goodness of honey (but not in excess, Prov.25:16) - it intrigues me that such a debate would even happen.

And Beatles are kosher! who knew?! [Biased]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Talmudnik
Shipmate
# 9339

- Posted      Profile for Talmudnik   Email Talmudnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're welcome, Lynn. If you thought that honey was bad, I contemplated stopping Talmudic study over the discussion on capers!

The Jerusalem Post did a review a couple of years ago on a restaurant in the Golan that serves locusts. The Insectarium here actually serves a variety of bugs. Shudder.

--------------------
The longest journey you'll ever take is from this world to the next. Make sure you are prepared. R' Yaakov Culi, MeAm Lo'ez

Posts: 576 | From: Montreal | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to buy a new rolling pin. But there are so many types to choose from now! The traditional type, the type where the middle bit spins freely from the handles, pins which are just a rod of wood with no handle at all and I saw one recently which was "tapered".

Plus you can buy them in wood, marble, plastic or stainless steel.

What should I get?? I do mainly biscuits and pastry, and I have some as-yet-unrealised grand plans for gingerbread.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a marble rolling pin, but I only use it if I'm rolling out one or two of something, and I don't mind the something being mashed pretty hard by the weight. I find the marble pin too heavy for extended use.

For pasties (never made less than a dozen) or pastry that I want to be somewhat flaky, I use a cylindrical wooden rolling pin with the "axle" and handles removed. A while back I was drooling over some nice tapered hardwood pins, I expect I'll get one sooner or later.

I expect all the different styles and materials work well, and that a lot of it is simply personal preference.

[added lost word back in]

[ 26. April 2007, 14:52: Message edited by: Otter ]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to use a stonewear Oude Geneve bottle - you know the type, I'm sure. Bols do one. Of course I had to drink the GIN first! [Big Grin]

For pastry I'd keep it in the fridge for a few hours first, or fill it will chilled water.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I used to use a stonewear Oude Geneve bottle - you know the type, I'm sure. Bols do one. Of course I had to drink the GIN first! [Big Grin]

For pastry I'd keep it in the fridge for a few hours first, or fill it will chilled water.

My mother always used a milk bottle...but a tall, sterilized-milk bottle, there's not room to put both hands on the squat modern ones.
I have a solid wooden rolling pins, no handles.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I wonder whether these are the kinds of locusts John the Baptist ate in the wilderness.

Not locust beans then?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Alas, my gin of choice is Bombay Sapphire which has lovely blue square bottles.

Thanks for the replies - I do like the look of marble, but the handleless ones look cool too. Maybe I'll just go by whatever one I like the appearance of. Or whatever one is on sale.

Today I bought an apple peeling/coring machine for only $22! [Yipee]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beef & Barley Soup

A recent invention at the Mousehold.

dribble oil
1 large carrot, chopped small
2 medium onions, chopped medium
1 lb ground beef
1.5 cup cooked barley
2 cans beef broth
2-3 tbsp beef granules
1 bottle (11 oz) beer
salt

In the oil saute the carrot until nearly soft. Add onions, saute until just transparent. Add ground beef; cook until done through. Drain fat.

Add everything else. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for say 5 minutes. Serve.

We had this with some chewy bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic. Enjoy!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
I need to buy a new rolling pin. But there are so many types to choose from now!

Go to the hardware store.

Buy about 70cm of wooden curtain rod.

It'll be cheaper than those foofy French ones, and as long as you don't put it in the dishwasher or let it soak in water, it'll last you for years.

Three generations of women in my family have rolled out tortillas using this type of rolling pin.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curry pastes.
I like making curry's but unless I use a commercial paste they never seem to work. What I would like is some recipies for pastes that I can make in bulk, maybe over the weekend, and freeze, and then use instead of the commercial ones, saving me money, sugar and salt content, and cupboard space. I need to be able to cook weekday dinner fast (get home after 5 and have 2 toddlers to feed!) but could possbly spend some time on them initialy before freezing. A range of different types would be nice (we have a big freezer) Thai, Indian, various regions etc, need to be vaguely toddler friendly but they are fairly good at spices. Any ideas folks? (I just know someone will...)

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
Curry pastes.....
...A range of different types would be nice (we have a big freezer) Thai, Indian, various regions etc, need to be vaguely toddler friendly but they are fairly good at spices. Any ideas folks? (I just know someone will...)

Okay, here's a vindaloo curry paste (not authentic but my own version) which I made an excess of last night and will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Dry-fry (roast) two or three teaspoons each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, in a hot griddle or frying pan. When they've started to pop and colour (after about a minute) grind them in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.

Add 5 finely chopped garlic cloves, a grated thumb-sized piece of ginger root, tablespoon of tamarind paste (or to taste), two teaspoons of tumeric. Continue grinding all these ingredients together. Finally add cider vinegar to get your desired consistency (as much or little as you want).

This makes a pretty good paste. To make the vindaloo, fry a finely sliced large onion until coloured caramel brown, add a teaspoon more of mustard seeds until they pop, add the curry paste and fry until the oil separates, then brown the meat in the oil and paste. Cover with water and simmer until the meat is tender and cooked. garnish with loads of fresh coriander. Add as much chilli as you want during the cooking process.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooooo Spawn that sounds lurverly! Will try that at the weekend. Would it freeze? or is fridge better??

--------------------
life is purple

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Plus you can buy them in wood, marble, plastic or stainless steel.

I had my mum's glass rolling pin - it was hollow with a cork bung at each end. The idea was to fill it with ice to make perfect pastry (apparently it's best if kept cold). I can't remember it ever being filled with ice, but my pastry has received compliments (maybe because I have such cold hands?)
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
you know what they say: warm [Axe murder]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

I've got a lovely marble rolling pin. I got it at a Church sale paid next to nothing for it and it's smashing. My Gran used to have a marble slab in her kitchen for pastry!

In the mean time, any more curry pastes out there??

--------------------
life is purple

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief, I believe you had a typo in your recipe. That should read:

2 bottles beer.

You also missed the step telling you what to do with the second beer. [Biased]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Except ... I don't like beer.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qupe
Shipmate
# 12388

- Posted      Profile for Qupe   Email Qupe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nats I had a marble rolling pin and I smashed it! [Eek!] It rolled off the work surface on to our stone floor...eeekkkk.....

--------------------
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Posts: 802 | From: Down the road from the chocolate factory | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

Ouch - I didn't think it would be possible to smash! Note to self - take care of marble rolling pin....

--------------------
life is purple

The Revd H P Stinker Pinker
Shipmate
# 10704

- Posted      Profile for The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Email The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hollandaise sauce: I never seem to get it right. Last night being the height of the English asparagus season I steamed some to go with the lamb steaks and jersey royals and was of course tempted yet again to do a hollandaise to go with it (after doing this each year I should know better, but it is almost the perfect spring meal to my mind).

It was fine - keeping warm in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering hot water, and tasting absolutely wonderful - and I turned my back for a few seconds to reprimand a cat that had climbed on the counter - and it went all lumpy (the sauce not the cat), separated is perhaps the technical term.

How do I avoid this - and when it happens is it salvageable? I've tipped it down the sink before (same with a bearnaise a few years ago). It was still tasty but looked like a sauce boat full of something from a petrie dish.

Stinker

--------------------
"It was a superb spectacle while it lasted, and I was able to see what people meant when they spoke of the Church Militant." P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 196 | From: within walking distance of the Drones | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Sauce rescues

--------------------

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

Delia's foaming hollandaise might help you out...

Delia on line foaming hollandaise sauce

--------------------
life is purple

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to bake cake/biscuits - and lots of it (100/150+ portions? - difficult to know)- for after the funeral of a young child, sometime in the next week.

Any tips for good, tasty, tray-bake type cakes, nice sponges, or other things to make in large quantities would be very much welcomed. They need to keep in a car for five/six hours as I live quite some way away from the location of the funeral (so fresh cream is probably best left out).

Your suggestions will be much welcomed. I feel like its the only thing I can do to help the family, so I want to make it as special as I can.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

If there are going to be very small children then do fairy cakes in mini muffin /petit four cases - makes them bite size and go further. Looks good to. Mix in some dried fruit or even some chocolate drops and go without icing if you like.

Someone on this thread pages and pages ago posted a lovely oatmeal and rasins cookie recipie which is lovely and really easy as well. You can also make lots of mix and freeze in balls and cook from frozen which might help. I haven't got time to scroll through the thread right now - I'll have a look later if you can't find it. Or re-post it!

--------------------
life is purple

Shipmate
# 10704

- Posted      Profile for The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Email The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thanks for the hollandaise advice:
rescue site very helpful.
I have made foaming hollandaise a la Delia, but I didn't like the texture at all - too fluffy for my taste.

Stinker

--------------------
"It was a superb spectacle while it lasted, and I was able to see what people meant when they spoke of the Church Militant." P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 196 | From: within walking distance of the Drones | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is one of my favorite bar cookie recipes.

Spicy Pecan Squares

1 c. soft butter (½ lb.)
1 teasp. cinnamon
1 teasp. vanilla
1 c. sugar ½ lb.)
1 egg, separated
2 c. sifted flour (½ lb.)
1/2 teasp. salt
1 c. ground pecans

Preheat oven to 275. Grease 10" x 15" pan.

Cream butter. Add cinnamon and vanilla and mix in. Add sugar and egg
yolk; beat until light. Add flour and half of nuts; mix well.

Press dough into pan. Beat egg white until frothy and brush on dough.
Sprinkle remaining nuts over dough.

Bake one and a half hours. Let cool for five minutes, then cut into
squares. (If you don't cut them while they're soft and warm, they'll be
just about impossible to cut.)

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to make an appetizer for school today. I decided to make sausage balls. you take 1 lb sausage 1 lb sharp cheddar (shredded) and 2 cps of buttermilk biscuit mix. Shape into balls and cook at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. They turned out excellent. Unfortanately my cholesterol just shot through the roof.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
rugasaw, do you pre-cook the sausage? If not, don't they get really greasy?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, you don't. And they don't get greasy. The Bisquik (biscuit mix) absorbs all the grease from the sausage and the cheese. They're bite-sized heart attacks waiting to happen. But they're absolutely delicious!

You can make the balls in advance, and freeze them, and pop them in the oven frozen. They need to bake a bit longer if you do that, but they turn out just fine.

They store well in the fridge, if you should have any left over (although you probably won't), and you can reheat them in the microwave.

I make them every year at Pascha, to take to the feast after the midnight Liturgy. They're a very standard party food in the South, but the first time I brought them, out here in the PNW, no one knew what they were, and I brought most of them back home. But people figured it out soon enough, and now the basket gets emptied in a hurry.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Josephine. I've seen the recipe in just about every organization cookbook (you know, the ones that churches, schools, women's clubs, etc put together for fundraisers), so they're no doubt popular. I've just never made them, because I'm sure my husband would gobble up the whole batch.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regarding Sausage Balls:
My Son1 discovered these when he was about 14, and has made them for every picnic, party and social event ever since. We don't put cheese in, just the sausage and the Bisquick. I could eat them til I bust!

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Whereas a cooking method which is involves covering tightly, excluding air and trapping heat, is something like the idea of smothering.

But much more like the idea of "steamed in its natural juices".

"Smothering" food normally means pouring so much sauce on it that none of it sticks out.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To add to the sauce rescues given by Roseofsharon:

Mayonnaise:

If you don’t have an extra egg yolk to hand, you can rescue a separated mayonnaise by whisking it very gradually into a level teaspoon of dry mustard mixed to a smooth paste with a teaspoon or so of cold water: mustard is a great emulsifier.

Hollandaise/Bearnaise etc.

Remove the separated sauce from the heat and stir an ice cube around in the pan. Take out the ice cube when the sauce has emulsified.

I would not advise trying to keep these sauces warm over simmering water: if you must have them at anything more than room temperature, keep them away from the hob over a bowl of hot water (but not touching the water).

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you were going to make a crabmeat, red onion, and avocado salad, what bottled dressing would you use? I’ve been using a Vidalia onion and tomato one but it’s a little sweet. I could probably doctor some Ranch dressing into an approximation of Crab Ravigote, but I’m too lazy. I just want to buy it and pore it on...

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Mathew
Shipmate
# 12605

- Posted      Profile for Alan Mathew   Author's homepage   Email Alan Mathew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Breaded Thai Chicken!

YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

INGREDIENTS
10 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 green chile peppers, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
2 limes, juiced
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 lemon grass
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a food processor, combine chile peppers, green onions, lime zest and juice, 1/2 of the cilantro, fish sauce, lemon grass, salt, sugar and mustard. Blend until smooth. Rinse chicken and cut to appropriate serving size. Place in a bowl with blended ingredients and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a shallow dish or bowl mix together the bread crumbs, cilantro, cheese, sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste. Remove chicken from marinade (disposing of any remaining marinade) and roll in crumb mixture until well coated on both sides.
Place coated chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish (if desired, dab with olive oil on top for a crisp finish) and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees F) for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.

NOTE: You can make a dipping sauce by blending 2 green chile peppers with some fish sauce and sugar and topping the blend with some sesame seeds.

--------------------
The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides!

Posts: 80 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sine ~~ I'm crazy about Raspberry Vinagrette for avocado & red onion. I don't see why it wouldn't be really nice with the crab. Sometimes I mix it 1:1 with mayonaise. That would be lovely on the crab too.

I buy the cheap store brand - its good!

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have a good recipe for skirlie? The one I use is nothing special and I was looking for something excellent.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having achieved quite satisfactory results with last weekend's soul cakes for the departed, I've decided to bake again. I'm following a recipe for pineapple upside-down cake which tells me everything I need to know except the gas mark. Please would anybody help? Many thanks.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and the baking time. Ta!

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need a great tried & tested cheesecake recipe as I want to make one for my brother's birthday next month. Probably a lemon or strawberry one, but am open to suggestions.
Anyone know what I can use here in France as an equivalent to cream cheese? The stuff we do have is savoury and usually has garlic/herbs in it, so not suitable for a sweet cheescake!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 10704

quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
To add to the sauce rescues given by Roseofsharon:

Mayonnaise:

If you don’t have an extra egg yolk to hand, you can rescue a separated mayonnaise by whisking it very gradually into a level teaspoon of dry mustard mixed to a smooth paste with a teaspoon or so of cold water: mustard is a great emulsifier.

Hollandaise/Bearnaise etc.

Remove the separated sauce from the heat and stir an ice cube around in the pan. Take out the ice cube when the sauce has emulsified.

I would not advise trying to keep these sauces warm over simmering water: if you must have them at anything more than room temperature, keep them away from the hob over a bowl of hot water (but not touching the water).

thanks for all the sauce help. 2 goes at hollandaise and 2 successes - the water in the bowl at a lower temperature seems to be the key - so i haven't had to try any of the great rescue plans - always good to have them up my sleeve in case.

Stinker

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
I need a great tried & tested cheesecake recipe

Can you get Philadelphia cream cheese? And evaporated milk? And fruit jelly - the sort that comes in rubbery squares?

If so, this is as tried and tested as they come.

Melt some butter in a saucepan and stir in digestive biscuit crumbs (about an ounce of butter to half a packet, that sort of thing: doesn't greatly matter). Pat down into one of those tins with a detachable base.

Melt half of a jelly in as little hot water as possible (a couple of tablespoons). With an electric mixer, beat a tin of evaporated milk until it's frothy. Beat in a packet of Philly. Add the slightly cooled but still runny jelly. Pour the whole lot over the biscuit base and leave to set.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In answer to your question Saint Bertelin, I think the correct temperature for your cake would be 180 degrees C, which I think would be Gas Mark 4. And the time should be about 30 minutes.

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
Anyone know what I can use here in France as an equivalent to cream cheese? The stuff we do have is savoury and usually has garlic/herbs in it, so not suitable for a sweet cheescake!

As Firenze suggested - Philadelphia would work. If you can't get that, how about Mascarpone?

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
In answer to your question Saint Bertelin, I think the correct temperature for your cake would be 180 degrees C, which I think would be Gas Mark 4. And the time should be about 30 minutes.

Thank you! [Smile]

Foolishly, I only thought to ask while I was in the process of mixing the ingredients so I didn't really have much time. In the end, I did a bit of googling and found a recipe with similar proportions of ingredients to the one I was following. It suggested the same gas mark that you did. I suppose the time depends on the quantity of mix and size of container. 45 minutes seemed to work well for what I was doing. The cake, however, is no more. [Frown]

[Smile]

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We tried a couple of recipes using ingredients from the garden tonight.

Starting with the pudding, we have a gooseberry bush in the garden(I didn't realise how prickly gooseberry bushes are). We weren't absolutely sure how to tell how ripe the gooseberries were, but I figured they'd got big enough. However we were only going to get a couple of handfuls of berries at a time so we needed a recipe for small quantities.

Green gooseberry fool

2 handfuls of gooseberries, topped and tailed, then halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
100 ml double cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar
150g Greek yoghurt

Cook the gooseberries and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes). Simmer the mixture, mashing it with a fork (or potato masher), for a few minutes more, until cooked and pulpy. Chill the puree in the refrigerator until it is cold, about 1 hour (or more). Add the icing sugar to the cream in a big bowl and whip until it just holds its shape. Fold in the yoghurt, then the chilled gooseberry puree. Cover and chill in the refrigerator before serving (30 mins was fine, could be a few hours). It was good served with sprigs of mint. Serves 2 good size portions.

The other recipe was a useful way of using our abundance of mint, and was a mouthwatering partner with lamb. We also had black olives, feta cheese, lemon juice and courgettes (zucchini). We quartered, sliced and grilled the courgettes with olive oil and lemon juice. We made up some instant couscous and mixed in the other ingredients. (I had found a recipe, but we effectively had all of the above as leftovers, and just mixed in the quantities we had. With loads of mint. And then ate it with lamb chops in the garden. It was very good).

[ 01. June 2007, 20:48: Message edited by: welsh dragon ]

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
...gooseberries, topped and tailed,

A pair of clean toenail clippers is a handy tool for processing gooseberries.

Also, you will get gooseberry sawfly - soap and water used regularly early on will increase the yield of usable fruit.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016