homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clafloutis is lovely, and is well worth trying. I have found that it isn't as insubstantial as Yorkshire pudding (in that it has a heavier, less ephemeral texture). It feels more like half way between Scottish (or American) pancakes and Yorkshire pudding.

Any soft fruit can be used. You could also use apples, gooseberries, rhubarb etc. Just stew these fruits lightly before adding to the pancake mix. You can also cook the clafloutis in a large dish rather than individual ones, but the cooking time needs to be adjusted.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found the fruit pudding recipe. Here it is. I highly recommend it.

FRUIT PUDDING

2 c. pitted sour cherries or other fruit
Sugar to taste

1 Tblsp. butter
½ c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 Tblsp. baking powder
¼ teasp salt
½ c. milk

Sprinkle sugar over fruit and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and mix well.

Put batter in a greased baking dish, place fruit on top, and pour 1 cup boiling liquid* over it all.

Bake at 350°F until the top is brown. Serve warm with cream.

*If you use canned fruit, save the liquid and add enough water to make a cup. Otherwise use water.

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo that sounds alot like cobbler. Would it be possible for me to make extra batter to put strips on top? Sprinkle the strips on top with cinnamon and sugar brush with an egg wash to brown and crisp it up.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In general, I don't do puddings - so I was very pleased to come up with a very simple, but very effective dinner party one.

Make or buy tartlet pastry cases.

Beat together soft cheese and lemon curd.

Put a dollop of the lemony cheese mixture in each pastry case and top with summer berries (I used strawberries, raspberries and blueberries).

Dust with sugar.

They were very popular.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Moo that sounds alot like cobbler. Would it be possible for me to make extra batter to put strips on top? Sprinkle the strips on top with cinnamon and sugar brush with an egg wash to brown and crisp it up.

The batter is too thin for a cobbler. It will be brown on top when it's baked because the batter rises and encloses the fruit.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's jam season again! Hoorah! I've already made 7 pots of Golden-Plum-and-apricot, 6 of runny plum and cherry, 3 of blackberry (last year's blackberries) and 4 pots of Plum and Apricot chutney. I've got a load of greengages for greengage jam as well. Not much luck with strawbs this year though - none seemed nice (or cheap enough) to buy.

I must trot out to gather the wild raspberries soon. Last years raspberry jam was a bit disastrous - slightly burned and very stiff. But Mr D blitzed it with the very runny strawberry and made an acceptable melange.

I get very excited about making jam but oddly don't eat very much of it myself...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other day I made a fab concoction - a couple of peppered smoked mackerel fillets blitzed in the hand blender with some of the milk I poached them in to defrost them, some garlic and herb soft cheese, and some fresh parsley. Fresh it was a wonderful dip, left overnight in the fridge it became a great pate!

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
My success of the week is 2 peppered smoked mackerel, defrosted in some milk in the microwave, blitzed with some of the milk and some garlic and herb cream cheese, served as a dip for lunch ( 2 year old loved dipping bread in to it!) and then when it was chilled it solidified in to a pate which I served on bread the next day. Fab! Oh I added some parsley as well....

I find that smoked fish tends to repeat on me [Biased]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just made eggless mayo. I am hugely proud of myself. And hugely impressed that it's actually possible to make mayo without egg.

It wasn't without it's drama - just like ordinariy mayo (not that I've ever made ordinary mayo) you really do have to drip the oil in otherwise it splits. Luckily I remember just before ditching the whole thing that advice with the egg based version is to take a new egg and drip the split mixture in slowly. So I tried again (actually tried again twice due to whisking disaster that sent milky oil flying over the kitchen) and added a (small) heap more mustard powder and lo and behold...

...mayo. Tasty

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
drat, missed the edit window: its drama, its drama, its drama....where the hell did that apostrophe sneak in from......

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I found the fruit pudding recipe. Here it is. I highly recommend it.

FRUIT PUDDING

Sugar to taste

1 Tblsp. butter
½ c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 Tblsp. baking powder
¼ teasp salt
½ c. milk

Sprinkle sugar over fruit and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and mix well.

Put batter in a greased baking dish, place fruit on top, and pour 1 cup boiling liquid* over it all.

Bake at 350°F until the top is brown. Serve warm with cream.

*If you use canned fruit, save the liquid and add enough water to make a cup. Otherwise use water.

I tried it tonight and I have to say that I loved it. I used frozen mixed berries instead of cherries. And you are right about the cream. Thanks for posting the recipe.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
I tried it tonight and I have to say that I loved it. I used frozen mixed berries instead of cherries.

I made it with nectarines and blueberries. It tasted very good, but there was a little too much liquid. Nectarines are very juicy; it would have been better if I'd used only three-fourths of a cup of boiling water.

When I make this I usually add a quarter-teaspoon of lemon or almond extract to the batter. With most fruits I use lemon; with cherries I use almond.

Moo

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How long does it take to become brown? ie at what point in the meal does it go in the oven?!?! (And whats 350F in real money any way?? [Razz] )

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I sat the berries in a bowl with some sugar on them until they thawed. I noticed some liquid in the bowl and added that with the berries and only added 1/2 cup of boiling water.

350f is the tempeture that you bake anything and everything at. [Biased] It browned for me in about 15 to 20 minutes I think. I am not sure of the exact time as I was talking on the phone with my mother. I would try to have it finished before you start the meal because nobody likes to eat molten fruit. Plus it reheats in the microwave very well.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Online conversion tables say that 350F is the same as 180C and Gas Mark 4.

That site also converts between cups, spoons, etc and has butter conversions, which surprises me this side of the Pond: when I cooked with butter I used to weigh it or guess it and that's it. (Dairy allergic daughter means no butter in cooking)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

That site also converts between cups, spoons, etc and has butter conversions,

That is going to be helpful to me. I have a couple of cookbooks originating in the US, and have never known how much a 'stick' of butter weighed.

I remember being told that the way to cut butter or block margarine accurately into 4oz and 2oz pieces (nowadays, 125g and 62.5g) without scales was to cut diagonally.
Cutting corner to corner is more accurate than trying to judge a slice 'by eye', or following the marks on the wrapper, which is not always placed correctly.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. Otter brought home a half-dozen pickling cucumbers, and now I need to find a good recipe to take care of them. I found one from a "Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch Preserving" book on-line, which makes about 4 pints of kosher-style dills. (2 cups/500mL water, 2 cups/500 mL vinegar, 2 tablespoons/25mL pickling salt, plus dill and garlic, 10 minutes processing for pint jars)

Debating my options, does anyone have a recipe that uses half-pint jars? Or can I just use this recipe and process for the same time without too much trauma to the pickles? I know that in general bigger jars=longer processing times and smaller jars=shorter times, but Mom drummed it into my head that Thall Shalt Not mess with pickling recipes in terms of spices, times, etc.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

FRUIT PUDDING
Sugar to taste

1 Tblsp. butter
½ c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 Tblsp. baking powder
¼ teasp salt
½ c. milk

I have some fresh apricots in the fridge, bought last week, specially to try this pudding. I haven't made it yet as I am a bit concerned about the quantity of baking powder.

Is 1 tablespoon correct?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I haven't made it yet as I am a bit concerned about the quantity of baking powder.

Is 1 tablespoon correct?

Yes, you need all that baking powder so that the batter will rise enough to enclose the fruit.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
quote:

Is 1 tablespoon correct?

Yes, you need all that baking powder so that the batter will rise enough to enclose the fruit.

Moo

Thanks. I'll try it tonight then!

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just made some FABULOUS blackcurrant & redcurrant (mixed)jam. Only four pots but as Mr D doesn't "do" blackcurrants it's All For Me [Smile]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

Pudding made with 6 large, ripe apricots, each cut into 8-10 slices, tossed in a little sugar and zapped in the microwave for 1 & 1/2 mins, until thr juice ran.

This may have been too much fruit, as the batter hardly showed between the pieces and it took an inordinate amount of time to cook (An hour at gas4, and a further half hour at gas5, as it was still soggy in the middle)

It was worth the wait, though, and my husband said it was delicious [Razz]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
quote:

Pudding made with 6 large, ripe apricots, each cut into 8-10 slices, tossed in a little sugar and zapped in the microwave for 1 & 1/2 mins, until thr juice ran.

This may have been too much fruit, as the batter hardly showed between the pieces and it took an inordinate amount of time to cook (An hour at gas4, and a further half hour at gas5, as it was still soggy in the middle)

It was worth the wait, though, and my husband said it was delicious [Razz]

It might have been better if you hadn't zapped the apricots in the microwave. That probably released too much liquid.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
]It might have been better if you hadn't zapped the apricots in the microwave. That probably released too much liquid.
Moo

I drained off the liquid and measured it in with the boiling water to pour over the top.
How long should it take to cook? There's quite a difference between rugasaw's 15 - 20 mins, and my 90 mins [Eek!]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

When I made it with the blueberries and nectarines it took about an hour, but that was because there was too much liquid.

Normally it takes 30-45 minutes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SOS!!

Help ship gourmets.

I am looking for a vegetarian recipe for that great classic French Onion Soup.

I have an alternative post church type group that I go to on Sunday nights and we always have soup. It is my turn to do the soup and it needs to be vegetarian and gluten free [Waterworks]

I would love to make a delicious steaming French onion soup (my absolute favorite). Alas this will have to be a beef stock free zone!

Any ideas???

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always just use vegetable stock (Campbell's Real Stock is fantastic), and maybe add a mushroom or two while cooking that you could remove at the end.

It doesn't necessarily taste exactly like beef stock -based onion soup, but it tastes pretty good. Any dish whose base is onions and garlic cooked in butter is quite hard to do badly.

On the other hand, I have no idea if stock is gluten-free. If it is, then you're laughing, because onion soup's best when it's thinnish, so you don't need to add any flour.

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the US we can get mushroom broth, which is probably the best substitute. I don't know if it's available in Oz. You might use vegetable broth and get some dried mushrooms (shiitakes are best), grind them up in a blender, and add them to the broth.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hooray, it's blueberry season! Which brings up the question: can you put fresh blueberries in the freezer? Do you have to do anything to them first? How long will they keep?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We wash blueberries, let them dry on paper towels, then put them in a single layer on cookie sheets and freeze them that way. The next day, transfer the blueberries to zip-loc freezer bags. Littlest One eats frozen blueberries like candy.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
How long will they keep?

We always eat through them before they go bad. Well, they do. I'm not a big blueberry fan.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I am looking for a recipe for something that I do not know the name of. What I want to do is take ground beef and roll it up in a dough then bake it. I am sure that I would have to brown the beef first but I do not know how to make a dough for this dish. Can anybody help me?

--------------------

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm guessing that you want to make Beef Wellington.
I think you're supposed to partly cook the meat before wrapping it in the pastry & returning to the oven. AFAICR, the meat is supposed to stay slightly pink and I used to know what type of pastry you were supposed to use for the dish, but can't remember now!
If the Channel 4 website still has their 'Come Dine With Me' contestant & recipe info, I think there may be a recipe on there somewhere.
Hope this is more help than hindrance!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Beef Wellington is a bit high-falutin' for a recipe with ground beef. You could buy some puff pastry dough, though, if you don't want to wrestle with making your own.

Or look for a recipe for Cornish Pasties, which is probably closer to the dough you're thinking of. Here's a recipe that looks about right.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help, [Help]

I did not prune one of my grape vines last year and the surprise result is that now.
I have a very very very very large crop of small green seedless grapes. I have made grape pies and eaten a lot out of hand but the crop goes on. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] hic!
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes I thought of that, but I don't think they are the right type of grapes and I don't think I want to get into buying bottles and so on and so forth. Good Idea though [Smile]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am looking for a recipe for something that I do not know the name of. What I want to do is take ground beef and roll it up in a dough then bake it. I am sure that I would have to brown the beef first but I do not know how to make a dough for this dish. Can anybody help me?

Personally, I would buy ready made frozen shortcrust.

But if you must, a proportion of 1:2 fat and flour would probably do. Cut the marg/lard/butter (according to preference) into smallish chunks, and rub into the flour with your fingertips, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Put in just enough water to make a stiffish dough. Chill. Flour a board and roll out.

I would put the base of the pie/pasty into bake (covered in greaseproof paper, scattered with dried beans to stop it puffing up) to bake for about 15 minutes. Then add your minced beef (which you will have cooked with onions, herbs, seasonings and a little stock for about 30 mins), and cover with the top layer of pastry. Brush with milk or egg for a glossy finish and bake for about 25/30" or until brown.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

You can add grapes to chicken salad. It's very tasty that way.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Is shortcrust the same thing as pie crust?

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure about the definition of pie crust, but am guessing that if you are talking about something that will withstand a certain amount of moisture within then yes, it's the same as shortcrust.

The other alternative is to put puff pastry (which, while you can make yourself is easier if just frozen and ready rolled from the supermarket) on the top only, having put the filling into individual oven proof bowls - result, meat and pastry without much effort!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Apropos of nothing in particular, has anyone been watching the Heston Blumenthal programmes? (BBC, 7 pm on a Tuesday I think).

And if you have (or haven't) would you ever consider rigging up your domestic vacuum cleaner in order to enable you to create a slab of aerated chocolate? (This being just one of the six or so products to go into the Ultimate Black Forest Gateau)

Just how much trouble would you go to, to create a dish?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Well, the most complicated I have ever done (never again, dear Lord!) was a deep-fried, twice-cooked pork. Cut into bite sized pieces, dipped in a batter, deep fried, drained and cooled, re-dipped in batter, deep fried again, drained and then served immediately in a red sweet and sour sauce on a bed of rice.

It was beautiful. It was delicious, but it took me four hours!. [Mad] I suppose it would have helped if I had known what the heck I was doing.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I just got through eating pulled pork sandwiches. It took me a total of 25 and 1/2 hours to make. 12 hours brining, 12 hours smoking, 40 minutes to cool, 15 minutes to pull apart, 5 minutes to nurse burnt fingers, 25 minutes reheating, and 5 minutes to make the sandwich. It was so worth it.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maypops. We're about to have a ton of them. What the heck do you do with them?

It's the only kind of passion fruit that grows in the American Midwest. And this year, does it ever.

I asked on the Eagle Swings thread, but this is obviously where I should have been!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Sloes too - there is quite a crop coming out on the bushes round here. I know one can make sloe gin, but any other suggestions? Jam?

Hey ho. Off to make another bundle of mirabelle jam. We have almost 40 jars of jam and ten jars of chutney. (Not all mirabelle, I hasten to add)I almost feel domesticated!

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi - does anyone have any suggestions for courgette/zucchini/squash flowers? The recipe suggestions that I've seen tend to involve a lot of batter and a deep fryer, but we, erm, don't do that. Could you stuff them and steam them perhaps? Anyone got any other ideas?
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

By the way, we had some sloe gin for the first time last Christmas and loved it. I would be ever so happy to have the opportunity to make my own but I can't work out either where to buy them or where to pick them!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stuffed courgette flower recipe and another one

You pick the sloes, I have never seen them on sale, but have always lived near accessible sloes to pick. The traditional method was to put the bottles of sloe gin under the bed and roll them across to the other side every day to shake them. The only horrible bit is sitting there with a darning needle pricking the dratted things, turning your fingers purple and wrinkled.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

quote:
The only horrible bit is sitting there with a darning needle pricking the dratted things, turning your fingers purple and wrinkled. [/QB]
A friend who Knows said that you can get away with slashing them with a knife, which is quicker than pricking tham with a needle.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016