homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Celsti
Shipmate
# 4523

- Posted      Profile for Celsti   Email Celsti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone ever cooked steamboat (aka hotpot) - an Asian thingy in which you have a pot of hot stock on the table and you cook things in it and eat them? I do have a recipe but I thought I'd ask for tips. If it works out (visitors, Wednesday) I'll post the recipe. If it goes pear-shaped, you'll never hear from me again.

Particularly interested in what you cooked and if it was nice. My recipe calls for squid and slices of meat and stuff. How's tofu?

Posts: 787 | From: the beyonderland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tofu is OK but what really gives the broth lots of flavor (I always serve it at the end) is a selection of different meats and seafood. We also like a variety of dipping sauces. You can buy them or make your own. Our favorite is a combination of sherry, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil (not too much of the latter).

The raw foods benefit from a bit of aesthetic attention before they are presented at table. Slice them carefully and fan them out on the plate, then garnish with radish roses, scallion brushes, et cetera.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please does anyone have any idea of what to do with day old French baguette (other than throw it out.) When I'm on my own I buy a half baguette, but I don't even eat all that sometimes. I seem to waste an awful lot of the stuff.
I do sometimes make what I call "French bread pizza" - using the bread as a base, smearing on pesto and adding pizza toppings. But I would like other suggestions if anyone has them.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
French bread makes great bread andbutter pudding. Let me know if you need a recipe.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zealot en vacance
Shipmate
# 9795

- Posted      Profile for Zealot en vacance   Email Zealot en vacance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In similar vein to Peronel, it also performs beautifully in apple charlotte.In the morning soak slices in a mixture of egg beaten with a little milk, and fry, a little cinnamon on top, maple syrup, lovely winter breakfast. (Our family call it 'eggy toast' but it has an official name.) Then for lunch convert any still left over into garlic bread, or use as croutons on soup or in a salad.

--------------------
He said, "Love one another".

Posts: 2014 | From: Surface of planet Earth | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Please does anyone have any idea of what to do with day old French baguette

Like saying, "I have too much money!" Oh, to have your problem! [Big Grin]

NB: All measurements US

French toast is the first that comes to my mind. Wonderful breakfast food.

French Toast

1 cup milk
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread
4 tablespoons butter

Whisk together the milk, eggs and salt. Pour into a pie pan and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack and drain for 1-2 minutes. (Put the rack in plastic wrap-covered sheet pan for easy clean-up.)

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan, use medium-low heat. Place 2 slices of bread into the pan and cook until golden brown, approx. 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on clean rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices.

Serve immediately with your choice of apple sauce, maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit (bananas go really well with this).

You can also season your your leftover bread and toast it until it's dry, and then cut into croutons. If you need to store them for a time, put them in a zip-top plastic bag, suck the air out, and freeze.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dymphna
Apprentice
# 11061

- Posted      Profile for Dymphna   Email Dymphna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although I am the Very Worst Cook in the Whole Wide World, even I can do this, which is extremely scrummy and looks posh to boot.

Serves 2 (normal people or 1 greedy Dymphna)

2 fennel bulbs, quarted
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced or squished up*
5 tbsp light olive oil
300ml hot vegetable stock
60g chestnut mushrooms, sliced finely
100g grated parmesan (optional, as I don't like it much)
150ml single cream

Put the fennel and garlic in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Cover with the olive oil and stock, then bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the fennel is nice and tender and the stock reduced by about three-quarters.

Saute the mushrooms in olive oil. Turn the grill on to a hight heat and while it heats up, stir the cream into the fennel. Bring it back to the boil and immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the mushrooms. Sprinkle with the grated parmesan if using, and place under the hot grill for about five minutes.

Tosat two thickly-cut pieces of bread (granary or wholemeal or something similar works best) and put the fennel and shrooms on top, a la beans on toast (but posher.)

Eat like a starving wild boar.
Then persuade someone else to wash up.

* Technical cookery term..

--------------------
"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well"
Julian of Norwich

Posts: 13 | From: On Ilkley Moor - almost | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Folks,

I wonder if anyone could suggest a starter forcoq au vin . I was thinking something thick and souplike, but worried that there might be too much liquid in the whole meal.

Any ideas?

Thanks
cat x

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps a warm(ish) salad? Rocket and baby spinach with goat's cheese, crumbled (just-cooked) bacon and warm dressing, maybe?

I'm assuming it's as cool in N. Ireland as it is in the N. of England!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did go salad, but no goats cheese. Excellent idea, coq au vin is pretty heavy (but extremely tasty with all that red wine!) [Yipee]
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just made this tonight. Couldn't really find a recipe I liked, so I made this up. It was pretty darn good.

NB: All measurements US

EASY ROASTED CHICKEN BREASTS

Serves 4

CHICKEN
=======
4 lg fresh (not frozen) split chicken breasts with ribs (no boneless/skinless), uncooked
1 T vegetable oil
1 cup white wine
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

BRINE
=====
3/4 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 T whole peppercorns or allspice berries
2 tsp powdered thyme
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 T hot sauce
Juice of one orange or other large citrus fruit

1. In a large glass or plastic container, add chicken and brine elements. Add enough water to cover all chicken. Place in refrigerator for 30 mins - 4 hrs.

2. Line a large cookie sheet (should have a high rim, at least 1/3” tall) with foil and place a cake/cookie cooling rack on the rack.

3. Preheat oven to 375 F.

4. Remove chicken from brine. Discard brine.

5. Place chicken in colander in sink and let drip dry for several minutes. Remove chicken and pat dry with paper towels.

6. In large frying pan (no non-stick pans), add oil and heat on medium-high until oil is shimmering. Add as many pieces of chicken as will comfortably fit in pan and sear the breasts until they are golden brown on all sides. You’ll probably need to process in multiple batches. Place all seared chicken on rack in cookie sheet. Put frying pan aside and do not discard contents.

7. Insert meat thermometer (oven-proof or digital) into thickest part of a breast, careful not to let the tip of thermometer probe strike bone or the pan. Bake chicken until internal temperature of the breast is 175 degrees F. Remove chicken and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.

8. While chicken is baking, return frying pan to medium heat and add wine, black pepper. Deglaze pan bottom, scraping up browned bits with spatula. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow sauce to reduce by about half. Add any drippings from cookie sheet to pan sauce. If sauce is too thin, add 1 T butter.

9. Ladle pan sauce over chicken and serve immediately.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am planning on making a chocolate fondu when friends come round on Saturday - although I shall have to use my slow cooker rather than a fondue set, as I don't have a fondue set...

I am guessing it is melted chocolate (I thought about Toblerone...) and something like milk/cream to keep it liquid. But in what quantities? Can anyone help with something a bit more exact? Thanks!

By the by, stale French bread and butter pudding was delish. I was also given a savoury cheese and stale French bread and butter pudding recipe. I look forward to trying that too. It sounds yummy.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know which thread to put this on - here or the questions one - but I'm translating a menu which includes "Bauernsauce". Apparently this is a tomato sauce with bacon, sweetcorn and mushrooms. Is there an English equivalent to this? Need an answer ASAP!!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cous cous. Any suggestions?

I prefer it to rice, mainly because it's so easy to prepare, but as it comes it's pretty bland. I have a nice and simple chicken-in-garlic-and-creme-fraiche type dish, so am looking for something to do with cous cous that doesn't involve more garlic, but which makes the cous cous a bit more interesting AND doesn't clash with the garlic in the chicken (of which there's quite a lot!)

I'm sure there are lots of easy things to do with cous cous - what easy recipes can Shipmates suggest?

Corpus

PS Can anybody shed any light on where cous cous comes from? I seem to remember reading recently that it was a N. African thing, but I'd always thought it was Persian. [Confused]

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Add lemon juice and lots of herbs to cous cous. You can also add things like poppy seeds and pine nuts. My recipe book says it's North African but no more detail than that.

Here's a recipe off the packet:
Apricot and coriander cous cous (serves 4)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs oil
400ml boiling water
250g cous cous
75g dried apricots
chopped fresh coriander
juice of 2 small lemons and zest of 1 lemon
freshly ground black pepper

1. Place the salt, oil, butter and water in a pan and bring back to the boil
2. Add the cous cous and reduce the heat, cooking slowly for 3-5 mins
3. With a fork, fluff up the cous cous and add the apricots, coriander, lemon juice and zest and season to taste.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somewhere someone asked for a recipe for American meat loaf. Can't help there, but my mum's Canadian recipe is quite good.

Mince
Onion to taste
10 ounce can of tomato soup
1 cup of uncooked oatmeal
2 eggs
your choice of spices

Mix all together in a large bowl, and then pack into a large loaf pan, or a uncovered casserole. Place in oven at 350F for about 75-90 minutes.

This makes a very moist meatloaf. People who use breadcrumbs or crackers seldom get this.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooooh I have a lovely cous cous recipe and what's more, I've got it on this computer...

So here we go, Maisie's (not mine) recipe for...

Spicy Lemon Cous Cous

Ingredients

I pickled Lemon (use skin only, finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon oil
25g unsalted butter (or margarine)
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
4 spring onions, finely sliced
450ml/3/4 pint of chicken stock
250g/9oz cous cous
3 to 4 blobs of preserved ginger
1 lime: juice and finely grated rind
2 large plum tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
1 pack/pot fresh coriander (I usually remove stems and just use the leaves)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.

Method

Remove the flesh and pith of the lemon, I usually do this with a desert spoon. Then finely chop the skin. Place plum tomatoes in very hot, nearly boiling water, for a very short time. Them remove and skin them and put them in cold water, so that they don’t continue to cook and go mushy. (Leave them too long and they will overcook). Then finely chop all the other ingredients, putting them in separate containers. This can all be done the night before and put in the fridge.

Melt the butter/marge in a large pan and add garlic, chilli and coriander seeds. Cook for one minute, continuously stirring. Then add spring onions and the stock. Bring to the boil and stir in the cous cous, in a thin, steady, stream, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon. Continue to stir until stock is absorbed.

Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork after 2 minutes, to separate grains. Fluff up again at the end of the 5 minutes, just to make sure.

Stir in the chopped ginger and grated lime rind. Then stir in the lime juice, tomatoes, pickled lemon rind, fresh coriander and the olive and lemon oil. Mix well to ensure even spread of ingredients. Cover and set aside for up to 6 hours.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zealot en vacance
Shipmate
# 9795

- Posted      Profile for Zealot en vacance   Email Zealot en vacance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My interpretation of an Indonesian style stir fried rice, at the request of Ferijen. No claims for authenticity, just what I have learned from older members of the family who once lived in Indonesia.

The seasoning is a wet spice mix. The contents of mine includes Garlic, Ginger, Red chilli, (all fresh, equal quantities in volume to the quantity of chilli, chopped small, then pounded in a pestle and mortar) tablespoon sweet soy sauce, piece of lemon grass and galangal, bayleaf, splash of fish sauce, splash of molasses, pinch Cumin, some white wine or beer to loosen it a little, anything else that comes to hand that I feel like lobbing in! Very much an 'adjust to your own liking' recipe in terms of the balance of flavours, and quantity of seasoning used.

Cook the rice, drain, and if possible allow to go cold. (You can speed things on by a quick rinse of cold water, and then draining very thoroughly.)

In a wok (or whatever you use for stir frying) a few tablespoons of groundnut oil, heat gently and cook the wet spice mix for a few minutes stirring frequently. Increase the heat, add a finely chopped onion (or leek) and 2 oz meat per person, cut in thin strips, stir frequently until the meat is cooked, apply full heat, add any vegetable (shredded or chopped small: cabbage, beans, sweetcorn, whatever) and the rice, turning over continuously until piping hot, and a strong toasted rice smell is evident.

This is a dish very suitable for using up leftovers: both the meat and the veg may be the reamins of a previous roast dinner for example, in which case the meat only has to heat before adding the rice and veg.

It is really good eaten with the large prawn crackers from Indonesia, sold as 'Krupuk'; coarser and far more fish flavoured than Chinese prawn crackers.

--------------------
He said, "Love one another".

Posts: 2014 | From: Surface of planet Earth | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going to serve cream of sorrel soup for Easter dinner, but can't locate any sorrel. Does anyone have any ideas for a replacement soup? I want to use the cream soup bowls, and the rest of the menu looks like this:

Butterflied barbecued leg of lamb with garlic and herbs
Garlic mashed potatoes
Green beans
Stuffed tomatoes

Salad with mustard dressing

Lemon charlotte with raspberry coulis

Thanks!

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am supposing that you wanted something fresh-tasting and seasonal for your starter.

I would go for asparagus, for a spring menu, as it can currently be had by the armful at a good price from our local market.

But, being lazy, I might just serve the asparagus boiled or steamed, with butter, and forget about making soup!

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When making cous cous, I normally crumble in a stock cube. That stops it from being quite so bland.

I also use cous cous to make a hot salad like dish (it can also be served cold).

Take a handful of pine nuts and toast them in a heavy bottomed pan. When they are done toss them into a bowl.

Add a little oil to the pan and saute a diced onion. Add in some sliced mushrooms and cook til the mushroom mixture starts to dry out. Toss this on top of the pine nuts.

Cook some veggies. This can be as simple as heating up a handful of frozen peas and sweetcorn, or you can add roasted vegetables, whatever you happen to have at hand.

All of this gets put in the bowl. Add in the cous cous, a stock cube and boiling water. Stir. Wait 3 minutes and stir again. Wait another 2 minutes and fluff up the cous cous, tossing in some fresh corriander leaves, spring onion green, chives or something similar.

This can be served hot or cold. It also is good when used to stuff peppers or marrows.

[ 06. April 2006, 21:30: Message edited by: babybear ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An asparagus soup recipe
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

Brilliant, welsh dragon. Thank you.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
Somewhere someone asked for a recipe for American meat loaf. Can't help there, but my mum's Canadian recipe is quite good.

Mince
Onion to taste
10 ounce can of tomato soup
1 cup of uncooked oatmeal
2 eggs
your choice of spices

Mix all together in a large bowl, and then pack into a large loaf pan, or a uncovered casserole. Place in oven at 350F for about 75-90 minutes.

This makes a very moist meatloaf. People who use breadcrumbs or crackers seldom get this.

I feel obliged in this context to offer up for a second time my Canadian mother's meatloaf recipe (it appeared for the first time on a Hell thread of Sine's):

Line a loaf pan with aluminium foil. Heat the oven to 350 degrees (Gas Mark 4). Take a 1 lb block of frozen ground round. Remove paper and plastic wrapping. Place in loaf pan. Open a can of Campbell's Vegetable Soup (the kind with alphabet shaped noodles in it). Pour on top of the meat, spread evenly if desired. Bake until the soup is very dark brown.
Has been known to serve 5 with mashed potatoes and a salad.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmmmmm. Cous cous sponsored drool escapes corporeal lips... Thanks for the tips - shall have a go.

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saved from the old recipe thread:

Sine's Good but not Ultimate Meatloaf

1 cup bread crumbs (120 grams)
3/4 cup minced onion (150 grams)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 lbs. ground beef
2 tablespoons horseradish
pinch of salt
1/4 cup milk or water
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/4 cup catsup
(1/2 cup catsup for top of meatloaf)

Combine all ingredients except the 1/2 cup of catsup.

Place in loaf pan or shape on a baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for approx. 40 minutes.

About 15 minutes before meatloaf is done drain fat and spread top of meatloaf with 1/2 cup of catsup.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One thing I would add to Sine's recipe is in place of just plain ketchup on top, I would mix the 1/2 cup ketchup with a heaping Tablespoon of brown or Dijon mustard and a generous splash of Worchestershire sauce.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse -

hope it isn't too late for the chocolate fondue - my recipe uses 225g chocolate to 200ml double cream, with 2 tbsp brandy added after those have melted together.

I've heard Toblerone fondue is very good...

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Does anyone have any zabaglione tips?

I had planned to serve some with strawberries on Valentine's Day - and then suddenly realised that there might be a reason not to be eating undercooked egg - or alcohol.

Now, it seems like a good time to get out the bottle of marsala and find a purpose for it.

Zabaglione is basically a delicious, frothy, alcoholic custard, a bit like a warm syllabub (though it does also appear in a cold mousse version, and as an ice cream).

Many versions suggest just using egg yolks, although some include beaten egg whites (which would be good cos otherwise you might end up with 8 unused egg whites)

Any tips?

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you end up with lots of egg whites you could make meringue.

Or I guess a dieter's egg white only omelette for breakfast the next day to compensate for eating the zabaglione before!!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Posted by Martha
quote:
hope it isn't too late for the chocolate fondue - my recipe uses 225g chocolate to 200ml double cream, with 2 tbsp brandy added after those have melted together.

I've heard Toblerone fondue is very good...

In the end I just melted the chocklit & slung in cream until it looked like a good consistency. I used 3 bars of chocklit, one of which had nougaty bits in it, as I couldn't find Toblerone. I didn't think of adding alcohol, but perhaps that's all to the good, as the 2 children who had come with their parents joined in (until then they'd sat upstairs with a DVD of The Incredibles & a pizza, while we had adult conversation and steak & ale pie). The marshmallows & strawberries were the most favourite to dip in. It was a most decadent pudding - the only prob is I'm left with loads of little madeleine cakes going stale. I have crumbed many up and made mini-Scandinavian Apple Cakes for the freezer, but there's still a lot left!

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Per Babybear's request, I am finally getting around to posting recipes for Carrot Cake and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (please be aware these are American recipes that I have tweaked to make my own and hence use American measurements, ie. cups not grams or mils).

Beth's Spiced Carrot Cake

4 eggs
2 cups plain flour
2 cups sugar (either granulated cane or castor or a mix of those with a bit of demerara or brown for extra punch)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
3 cups shredded carrots
3/4 vegetable or sunflower oil

Grease and flour two 9 1/2 inch cake pans. In a large bowl stir together dry ingredients (including nuts). In a medium bowl combine eggs, carrots, and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350F or 175C. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes then cool thoroughly on wire racks. Ice with a Cream Cheese Frosting (butter, cream cheese, and icing sugar - sorry, can't give you measurements, I just always wing it) that's been flavoured with vanilla essence, maple syrup, or rose essence.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3/4 butter
1 cup brown sugar (I mix light and dark)
1/2 granulated cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda (bicarb of soda)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 plain flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Soften butter (I pop it in the microwave) and place in large mixing bowl. Add sugar, baking powder and soda and spices, and stir until combined. Mix in eggs and vanilla until combined. Mix in flour. Mix in the rolled oats and then the raisins. Drop dough (approximately 1 well-rounded teaspoon) two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet (the spacing is important as these cookies really spread out). Bake at 375F / 190C for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on the sheet for a minute and then cool completely on a wire rack.

This makes about 50 cookies, which is a lot if you are making them for home use, so if you want, you can freeze the cookies. Form the raw dough into balls on the cookie sheets as directed above and then pop the trays into the freezer until the cookies are solid. Remove from the trays and store in a plastic bag or container until ready. Bake from frozen - do not thaw first!

[ 10. April 2006, 16:48: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Inspired by LATA's thread on them in the circus, and madteawoman making them, does anyone know a good recipe (with bits and dried fruit) for Hot Cross Buns?
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
(please be aware these are American recipes that I have tweaked to make my own and hence use American measurements, ie. cups not grams or mils).
[...]

3/4 butter

Calling Flausa or other US shipmates...I know I'm probably being stupid, but does that mean 3/4 of a cup of butter?

I have a small jug that measures in cups, but should I really squish butter down into it? I'm happy to do so if necessary, but it seems weird...

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Abishag

Ship's Quality Shag
# 4710

- Posted      Profile for Abishag   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Please does anyone have any idea of what to do with day old French baguette (other than throw it out.)

If I have left over bread, I turn it into bread crumbs in the food processor, bag it and freeze it for when I need breadcrumbs in a recipe.

--------------------
http://www.celticheads.com
http://www.evamcintyre.com http://www.bangormonachorum.com

Posts: 763 | From: Keeping King David warm...while reading a good book! | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
(please be aware these are American recipes that I have tweaked to make my own and hence use American measurements, ie. cups not grams or mils).
[...]

3/4 butter

Calling Flausa or other US shipmates...I know I'm probably being stupid, but does that mean 3/4 of a cup of butter?

I have a small jug that measures in cups, but should I really squish butter down into it? I'm happy to do so if necessary, but it seems weird...

In the other recipe, you're probably safe assuming it's 3/4 of an (8 oz) cup of oil.

In the second recipe it could be 3/4 cup, 3/4 pound or (as it's US) 3/4 stick (and a stick is 1/4 pound, I believe). My guess would be 3/4 cup, but you'd better not rely on it.

You can either soften the butter and squash it down to the 3/4 mark, and then work it out with a spatula. Ot you can take a larger cup of known capacity (around here, there are 2-cup measures), fill with water to capacity minus 3/4 cup and drop pieces of butter in until the water reaches capacity level.

John

[ 15. April 2006, 01:03: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
Inspired by LATA's thread on them in the circus, and madteawoman making them, does anyone know a good recipe (with bits and dried fruit) for Hot Cross Buns?

Hot Cross Buns recipe

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any great success stories from Easter dinner? Mine was nothing special, just lamb chops (there were just 3 of us this year, so I didn't want to do a big hunk of meat), garlic roasted new potatoes, roasted asparagus, and angel food cake with fresh strawberries. It's almost a cliche of a meal, but it was pretty tasty! I tried out a mixed-herb mediterranean lamb rub from the wonderful spice shoppe near my house.

Any great springtime recipes?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had:

Starter: Olives. Melba toast. Proscuitto. Duck pate with black truffle.

Main: Roast chicken with pilau rice. I stuffed the chicken with a mixture of toasted pine nuts, the juice of two lemons, olive oil, a small amount of venison salami, big handful of parsley and three cloves of garlic, which I crushed and fried gently before mixing in. It was really good.
And a rocket salad.

Dessert: Strawberry pie topped with merangue with almonds in it. Pate sucre base.

Washed down with a bottle of 2005 Matua Valley pinot gris (good wine, but only an average match) and a 1997 Vergenoegd port (which was sublime).

Specific recipes available on request.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:

In the second recipe it could be 3/4 cup, 3/4 pound or (as it's US) 3/4 stick (and a stick is 1/4 pound, I believe). My guess would be 3/4 cup, but you'd better not rely on it.

You can either soften the butter and squash it down to the 3/4 mark, and then work it out with a spatula. Ot you can take a larger cup of known capacity (around here, there are 2-cup measures), fill with water to capacity minus 3/4 cup and drop pieces of butter in until the water reaches capacity level.

I plumped for 3/4 of a cup and used the squishing method, which was a bit messy. Next time I'll try your cunning water idea, which I'd never have thought of.

It's been pointed out to me that US cups and metric cups are not the same, and I don't know which my jug measures...but I don't suppose it matters as long as the same size cup is used throughout. Goodness, the complications of international cooking.

Anyway, I can report that the raisin oatmeal cookies were delicious, properly soft 'n' chewy, and a great hit with Mr Rat and various visiting relatives. Thanks Flausa.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Does anyone have any zabaglione tips?

There is a recipe here: zabaglione

And, traditionally they should be served with figs. That said, strawberries are much nicer! Failing that, buy some biscotti and eat them with a glass of the marsala.

<edited to add the alcohol!>

[ 17. April 2006, 08:40: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

In the end we used a very simple recipe, 6 egg yolks, 6 measures of Marsala wine, 4 measures of sugar (I used an empty half egg shell as a "measure", which one of the recipes I consulted told me was traditional.) As in your recipe, I had scaled down the sugar a bit from the "traditional" suggestion.

The only stainless steel bowl I have belongs to my kitchen mixer & has rubber feet. I was scared the rubber would melt if I used it on the stove, so I tried a glass bowl over a simmering saucepan and whisked the whole lot for about 8 minutes. We ended up with an awful lot of frothy alcoholic custard, and yes, it was very nice with strawberries!

Maybe we can experiment with cinnamon and/or vanilla another time.

I still have to work out what to do with the remaining egg whites though.

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:

It's been pointed out to me that US cups and metric cups are not the same, and I don't know which my jug measures...but I don't suppose it matters as long as the same size cup is used throughout. Goodness, the complications of international cooking.

Well, I must say, I rather ignore that there are supposed to be differences between the sizes of the US and metric cups, because as you say, as long as you are using the same proportions you should be okay (and all the recipes I've done this sort of thing for have worked out fine).

Oh, and I do the butter squishing thing too. Though I have found the more baking I do, the better I've gotten at eyeballing the right amount.

quote:
Anyway, I can report that the raisin oatmeal cookies were delicious, properly soft 'n' chewy, and a great hit with Mr Rat and various visiting relatives. Thanks Flausa.
Yay! [Yipee]
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
I still have to work out what to do with the remaining egg whites though.

WD, you could make a pie that needs a meringue on top. Or you could make schaum tortes, which are little circles of baked meringue, into which you spoon whipped cream or ice cream and then top with strawberries. My husband's Wisconsin relatives are of German descent and this is a popular dessert where they live in Wisconsin.

[ 17. April 2006, 17:23: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Egg whites -- pavlova. Ask one of the Aussies on board, but basically you make a stiff meringue, spread it in a pie plate, ensuring that there's a hollow in the centre. Bake until hard (but still a little soft inside?). Serve filled with fruit (kiwis -- no not the people or the athletes, the fruit -- are apparently traditional but strawberries or raspberries are wonderful) and cream.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

In other words, a schaum torte! [Biased] (Interesting, they're almost identical recipes. Pavlova here, schaum torte recipe above. And they look the same. Both a good suggestion!

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For our Paschal breakfast, everyone brings baskets of goodies that are placed on the church porch and blessed at the end of the service. Then we carry the baskets over to the parish hall, where we share a pot-luck meal at about 3 in the morning. I always bring honey bunnies and cheese-and-sausage balls. (When I was cooking yesterday between services, my kids said the house smelled like Pascha!)

Honey Bunnies

4 1/2 - 5 c. flour
2 pkg. RapidRise yeast
1 tsp salt
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. butter*
2 eggs (room temperature)
Honey glaze (3/4 c. honey melted with 6 Tbsp butter)

* Butter in Washington is apparently saltier than butter in Tennessee. I had trouble with the dough failing to rise the first few times I made it out in this part of the world. You may want to use unsalted butter.

Combine 1 1/2 c. flour, yeast, and salt. Heat the evaporated milk, honey, and butter until the butter is melted and the mixture is very warm (between 120 and 130 degrees). Gradually add the warm liquid to the flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add the eggs and 1/2 c. flour. Beat another 2 minutes at high speed. With a spoon, stir in the rest of the flour. Put the dough in a greased bowl, oil the top of the dough. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 2 to 24 hours.

Divide the dough into 32 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 10-inch rope. From each rope, cut 3 pieces, 1/2" each, for the ears and tail. Coil the top of each rope down and to the left; the bottom up and to the right, to make the head and body. Shape the small pieces for the ears and tail, moisten one end slightly, and attach them to the head and body.

Place the bunnies on greased baking sheets. Cover. Let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Brush with honey glaze while still warm.

Cheese and Sausage Balls

1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 pound hot pork sausage
1 pound Bisquick baking mix

Mix the three ingredients with your hands until evenly distributed. Shape into small balls (about 1" in diameter, or just a bit larger). Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.

These can be shaped ahead of time and frozen, then popped into the oven shortly before time to serve them.

They're best still warm from the oven, but they're very sturdy and reheat well.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Amosling made some delicious oatcakes yesterday. They contained 100 g. flour, 120 g. rolled oats, 60 g. soft butter, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of fennel seed, which were all whizzed together with the food processor, and then water added to make a stiff dough (a couple of tbsp). She rolled the dough very thin on a floured board, cut it into soldiers, and baked it in a moderate oven (you don't need to grease the baking sheet: they don't stick), just until they were starting to colour. She then let them cool and put them away in an airtight plastic box. They vanished so rapidly that I tried out the recipe myself after church today, substituting for the tsp of fennel seed a tsp of chilli flakes just for the heck of it, and cutting the dough into rounds. These were, I thought a little tougher than hers (probably the dough was overhandled a bit) but also very good.

Both kinds are good with a mature cheddar.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am usually very reserved about aniseedy flavours, but tonight I put onion, new potatos slices and fennel chunks in a pan with a little butter and vegetable stock, covered, and stewed until all were just nicely soft. Added a couple of spoonfuls of half-fat creme fraiche. Delish.

There is a small amount left, which tomorrow gets married with some very briefly microwaved shredded cabbage and served up with severely grilled sausage.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Has nobody been cooking for a while?? I had to really hunt for this! Anyhoo...

Does anybody have any inspiration for what to do with some (probably) past-its-best asparagus, big field mushrooms, leeks, carrots and onions? I don't have time to buy meat and I need inspiration for this evening's meal!

Ta ever so. [Smile]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016