homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha, a Bain Marie!

We also have similar things available here as milk boilers.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah. Like the thing the canteen at work keeps soup in. I've never heard of anyone having one at home before! It is very, very big. I'd guess 25 litres or more for the removable pot inside, and then the (electric, not water) jacket around it.

Rice is such a good insulator that it will cook in its own steam in a pot with a reasonably firm lid - bring it to the boil, simmer for five minutes, (ten minutes at the most) and then leave it for ten or twenty with occasional stirrings until its absorbed all the water. It can stay warm for an hour or more if you keep a lid on.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken, you are spot on with rice.

We have a rice cooker, made by Tupperware, that consists of a plastic pot, a lid and a colander-like insert. One brings the rice to the boil, drains it into the insert, places the insert in the pot and puts the lid on*. Like you say, it cooks itself. It will also keep boiled spuds warm for half an hour, without them disintegrating.

*I think that's how it goes. It's good anyway.

As for the bain-marie we have a small one we use for chocolate, in conjunction with a digital thermometer accurate to tenths.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rice cookers here consist of a round steel pot in which the rice is brought to the boil with a measured quantity of water and then, after the required 5 or 10 minutes, the pot is moved to an insulated cylindrical box, basically the old haybox idea, and left for however long to finish off. Here in Kerala we eat Red Rice which takes a little longer than white rice to cook but the principle remains the same.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bump*

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had this email from a friend

"I've been trying to find a recipe for Lemon Meringue Fudge (which I bought on holiday and which is gorgeous) on the internet without success - I wondered whether you'd have any more luck."

Can anyone assist??

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is not something I have tried but you might have a look at doing something approximately like this.

Well according to this site its just two fudges Lemon butter fudge topped with vanilla fudge or maybe the other way around. I guess the cheat way would be to make one layer in the bottom of a tin and when set pour the second semi cooled layer on top.

Yes I can imagine it being delicious.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ringtailed Lemur
Shipmate
# 8288

- Posted      Profile for Ringtailed Lemur   Email Ringtailed Lemur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Pumpkin Pie

2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup tinned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
[or I suppose you could cook and puree real pumpkin, but that's a lot of work]
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. each of cinnamon, ginger, allspice

Beat eggs,
Add spices, sugar, pumpkin and mix
Add milk and mix
Pour into Pie shell - probably 8 or 9 inch
Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees F until set - if you put a knife in the centre and the cut stays or it looks dry in the cut then it is done.

The centre should look and feel firm-ish.

Serve slightly warm with crystallized ginger and/or whipped cream.

The amount of spice can be increased to taste, but that's probably the minimum amount of sugar. You can use whole milk or partly skimmed, but it's hard to get the custard right if you use no-fat milk.

I normally make double or triple this, but then we usually have people for dinner. Any custard over what the pie shell(s) will hold can be cooked in custard cups.

John

I've just bought a pumpkin. It was cheap. I quite fancy trying to make pumpkin pie, so if I were to use John's recipe, how would I make the pumpkin puree?

Alternatively, what else is really good to do with fresh pumpkins. Preferably using pretty basic store cupboard items (I'm a student, albeit one with rather more kitchen equipment than most. [Hot and Hormonal] )

And, because I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things (pumpkins, not cooking) could you also explain what the best way of cutting it up is.

Posts: 111 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By request, here is Mousethief's recipe for graham cracker crust:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter

Stir together until well blended. Pat into a pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes and cool before filling.

Depending on the filling, you can add a bit of vanilla powder, cinnamon, or other flavoring to the crumbs if you like. But you really don't need to -- the crust is delicious.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pumpkin soup is good and easy - I've got a recipe using coconut milk and ginger that I haven't tried yet (but I have a pumpkin bought for the purpose) - alternative recipe using coconut milk.

Lots of other recipes from the BBC site

Also, the seeds are edible fried up with a bit of salt - sort of like chicken skin - and probably as high in calories.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know whether this has been asked before, but regarding wine for cooking- I normally use something relatively cheap and keep the good stuff for drinking with/afterwards. I've never had any complaints (at least to my face!) about my wine dishes, but my friend claims that you can tell whether a quality bottle has been used or not.

How do you choose your wines for cooking?

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a friend (a professional cook) who claims that if it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to cook with.

Which is not to say that you have to be chucking the '82 Bordeaux in the casserole. A cooking wine - or, as my wine merchant tells me it should be referred to - 'for kitchen use' (leaving open the question of how much ends up in the dish and how much in the chef) - should have characteristics which support the dish. Eg, a Riesling would be fine for syllabub, but not for poaching fish. For the most part, I keep a bottle of dry vermouth for most fish/chicken dishes. And use 'hot' southern reds, like Minervois or Pays d'Oc for lamb and beef.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringtailed Lemur:
I've just bought a pumpkin. It was cheap. I quite fancy trying to make pumpkin pie, so if I were to use John's recipe, how would I make the pumpkin puree?

Alternatively, what else is really good to do with fresh pumpkins. Preferably using pretty basic store cupboard items (I'm a student, albeit one with rather more kitchen equipment than most. [Hot and Hormonal] )

And, because I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things (pumpkins, not cooking) could you also explain what the best way of cutting it up is.

I find the easiest way is to chop it into wedges and scoop all the seeds out, then roast it in the oven till soft. Then you can just scrape the pumpkin flesh off the skin. Depending on the pumpkin, it might be pretty dry or you might have to go through the tedious process of draining it in a sieve to get the water out - you need a pretty dry puree for pumpkin pie.

Alternatively you can peel it and chop it into chunks and boil or steam it - the cooking process is quicker but peeling squash is hard work.

A big sharp knife is essential.

Now you can get tinned pumpkin in the UK I'm afraid I've pretty much given up pumpkin-bashing as an autumn sport.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
By request, here is Mousethief's recipe for graham cracker crust:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter

Stir together until well blended. Pat into a pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes and cool before filling.

Depending on the filling, you can add a bit of vanilla powder, cinnamon, or other flavoring to the crumbs if you like. But you really don't need to -- the crust is delicious.

Thank you, thank you. I will use this! I might experiment with a dash of cinnamon in the crust.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good God, Lemur, how far back have you been looking to find that one? It does make good pie, though.

I'd make a pumpkin puree by cutting the pumpkin flesh into chunks, microwaving (or steaming) until tender. The skin comes off like a dream (though you may want to wear ovenmitts, as it stays hot forever). Then mash the cooked bits to a puree. You could use a blender, I suppose, but I like just a little texture in mine.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ma-in-law gave us pumpkin curry as one of the dishes at lunch yesterday, it was delicious! I'll try to find a recipe.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oooh, yes please, Woderick!

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Once you make the pumpkin puree, can you freeze it?

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

That's good news! I have two nice pumpkins on my front porch. I never got them carved for Hallowe'en and I'm just letting them sit there looking decorative. The squirrels have nibbled some of the outside, but I think the punkins are salvageable. I've wanted to try cooking one (see what happens when you read this thread? you start trying weird things [Biased] ) so, altho I don't have time to actually bake something this week, getting the puree into the freezer is doable.

[edited due to roving punctuation]

[ 05. November 2007, 06:07: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the wine advice Firenze!
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you combine Mousethief's crust with Mamacita's tip and Twilight's filling you will have:

The Best Pie Ever

16 graham crakers, rolled fine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick melted butter

Press half of this mixture in pie pan.

In saucepan cook;
3 egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
Cook, stirring, until mixture coats spoon. Fill crust.

Beat in cold bowl;
3 egg whites
3 T sugar
Until firm peaks.

Spread on pie, sprinkle top with remaining graham cracker mixture, bake at 325 until meringue turns brown in places ( about 10 minutes.)

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
That's good news! I have two nice pumpkins on my front porch. I never got them carved for Hallowe'en and I'm just letting them sit there looking decorative. The squirrels have nibbled some of the outside, but I think the punkins are salvageable. I've wanted to try cooking one (see what happens when you read this thread? you start trying weird things [Biased] ) so, altho I don't have time to actually bake something this week, getting the puree into the freezer is doable.

[edited due to roving punctuation]

Just be aware that commercial pumpkin puree is produced from a different species of pumpkin than is normally grown for jack o'lanterns. The "pie pumpkins" are smaller and have a higher proportion of flesh, I believe. I do not know whether there is a difference in flavour.

JOhn

Ringtailed Lemur
Shipmate
# 8288

- Posted      Profile for Ringtailed Lemur   Email Ringtailed Lemur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Good God, Lemur, how far back have you been looking to find that one? It does make good pie, though.

I'd make a pumpkin puree by cutting the pumpkin flesh into chunks, microwaving (or steaming) until tender. The skin comes off like a dream (though you may want to wear ovenmitts, as it stays hot forever). Then mash the cooked bits to a puree. You could use a blender, I suppose, but I like just a little texture in mine.

John

I used the search function. [Biased]

Thank you all for the ideas. I think I will make a pie, so I shall let you know how it turns out.

Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find myself in the interesting position of having promised to make a pudding with 'vaguely illegal quantities of sugar' in. It's not for many people - 3/4 - and needs to travel in the car, though it can be warmed up when I get there.

I'm considering chocolate-mousse-cake, a sort of tarte tatin and pumpkin pie, but there must be something else out there! Can anyone help?

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well Ena, since they all but came right out and asked for it, I would make the Better Than Sex Cake for them. You should be able to transport it without trouble if you added the whipped cream upon arrival.
I've always thought it lived up to it's name.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Sorry that was a second one, I meant the original cake.
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, there's these bar cookies, so to speak - very good, very sweet; I took them to a party once and a gorgeous slim woman tasted one, turned to her beau and said, "we have to leave," and they did! I got the recipe from my grandmother in Iowa in the '60s but 30+ years later I've heard them called "Nanaimo Bars" - no idea what my grandma's source was.

3-Layer No-Bake Cookies
INGREDIENTS:
· 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
· 1 cup flaked coconut
· 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1/4 cup cocoa powder
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· SECOND LAYER:
· 1/2 cup butter, softened
· 2 cups powdered sugar
· 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
· 3 tablespoons milk
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
· THIRD LAYER:
· 6-9 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
· 1 1/2 T butter
PREPARATION:
Butter 9x12 pan
1st layer:
Combine graham crackers, coconut and nuts in a large bowl; set aside.
Melt butter in double boiler; add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cocoa; stir. Add egg and stir just until hot and well blended. Remove from heat and add crumb mixture; blend. Spread in pan and chill.
2nd layer:
Cream butter until light & fluffy. Mix milk & instant pudding powder, add to butter (slow speed) along with vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar, blend well. Spread on chilled bottom layer. Chill thoroughly.
3rd layer:
Melt semisweet chocolate in double boiler, add 1 tablespoon butter. Spread chocolate over pudding layer. Mark small squares before chocolate sets. Chill.

I will point out that these freeze very well (I just wrap them in aluminum foil).

If you don't have time for all that cooling in between (the second layer needs to be quite set before attempting to spread the top chocolate layer), you might consider something with meringue. If you don't want to do a meringue nest type thing, here's a meringue cookie my son always loved:

Surprise Mergingues
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 6 oz package chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Beat egg whites, salt, tartar & vanilla until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in chocolate chips (the mini chips are especially nice for this recipe) and walnuts.

Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet covered with plain brown paper (in my childhood we used paper bags but RECYCLED paper bags aren't safe for food prep purposes so now I use baking parchment). Bake at 300 degrees about 25 minutes; cookies should be just beginning to take a little color. Yields about 2 dozen cookies.

These are very nice without the chocolate chips; I have a friend with a chocolate allergy and I make her 6 cookies before adding the chocolate chips to the rest. The nuts can also be omitted but my fave is with both.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I just read Lynn's recipe. Now I have to leave.
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I want to make a Christmas cake for friends as their Christmas present. The problem is that they do not like dried fruit, so I have to make something else.
I thought about a chocolate banana cake, which I've made for them before and they loved. However, it doesn't have great keeping qualities, which is part of the joy of Xmas cake.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something I could make as a Xmas cake that has no dried fruits but a fairly long life?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could try using glace fruits rather than dried raisins, currants and sultanas.
Glace cherries, 'dried' pineapple (which is actually moist and sticky and ideal) glace citrus peel. You can get cheapish packs of glace fruits at this time of year, chop the lot up and soak in rum or cointreau and bake into a madeira type cake. You could also add nuts too, if appropriate.
I think Delia Smith has this recipe in her famous Christmas book. I've eaten it and its really good.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ringtailed Lemur
Shipmate
# 8288

Just reporting that the pumpkin pie is indeed delicious, although I put a slightly different selection of spice in - no allspice (only because I didn't have any), 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp ginger, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.

It came out of the oven only half an hour ago, but I couldn't resist having a small slice now. [Hot and Hormonal]

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh it's been a long time since anyone posted here.... Any way....

I have been given a good bottle of Calvados. Only trouble is that I find it too strong to drink. I drink neat whisky by the way, so it's not me being a wimp! What should I make with it??

--------------------
life is purple

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

And another thing....

I've loaned a book out to someone and can't trace it, Finger food for toddlers. Anyone got it? It's got a really good mini-muffin with yoghurt recipe in it that I'd like...!!

--------------------
life is purple

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
Gosh it's been a long time since anyone posted here.... Any way....

I have been given a good bottle of Calvados. Only trouble is that I find it too strong to drink. I drink neat whisky by the way, so it's not me being a wimp! What should I make with it??

All kinds of things. It's lovely when cooking duck, goose, or pork. Use a splash when you degrease the pan, or make a glaze with it.
Soak your babas au rhum with it instead of rum. Put a little in whipped cream to go with apple pie or apple crumble.

If you get desperate and want to use it up, you can always add it by the glass to Christmas puddings and cakes.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Calvados! I remember back in my drinking days getting absolutely stocious on the stuff one lunchtime in a small town on northern France - thankfully I wasn't the one driving!

However, it also makes an excellent flambé for things that are good with a fruity flavour - try it with crepes or with light seafood.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Christmas cakes are part-Calvados this year, but one thing I have tasted which was divine was an apple and raisin cake where the raisins had been soaked overnight in Calvados. Gorgeous.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Continuing the festive theme....

I am looking for inspiration for what to create with a tin of reindeer meat. I've been tempted to serve it with a single cherry tomato [Devil] but have been told that this would traumatise the junior members of the family and make my life not worth living. [Razz]

However, this year I don't have that restriction, so I've promised to serve it on Christmas Eve.

But what are the contents likely to look like? Will it be like spam (reconstituted meat)? Or a solid block of meat (like tinned ham)? Or chunks in gravy (like stewing steak)?

I usually look to St Delia for help in culinary matters, but I think I need help from further afield on this one.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its venison so cook it like venison. Which is to say cook it like mutton that has less fat and more taste. Apparently reindeer has even lower fat than most venison and is perhaps a lighter meat in general. It just about the leanest of all red meat so the chances are you want it cooked in some sauce or other and not to overcook or burn it. Meybe gently fry in a pan until ready. Possibly with garlic or a little thyme or rosemary. For ordinary venison I'd possibly use a little red wine to make a sauce with the juices of the meat, Beer might be a little more Finnish and traditional. Or even mead. Though I have never tasted any meat (let alone raindeer) cooked in mead so I have no idea what it would be like. One for experiment!

But tinned? So already a sort of stew perhaps. So probably cqan ignore all I just wrote. I'd imagine chunks in gravy of some kind. Heat that and eat with vegetables? Leeks might be good. Mashed swede (yellow turnips - mash with butter and pepper) Or just make it into a steak and kidney pie [Smile]

Something fruity in the sauce helps. Berries are authentic. Cranberries? Bilberries soudn vagualy wrong to me though they cone from the same places reindeer do. Cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) are almost never eaten here, I wouldn't know where to get them. Raspberries are related, but taste different. Blackberries of course. A bit out of season now.

To be really Northern, you might want to eat it with mushrooms, ideally wild mushrooms, either cooked in a separate pan with butter or in the same pan.

I can smell it now. I can actually - it's lovely! I wonder if they have any in Waitrose?

I feel duty bound to tell you all that my Google search for "reindeer meat" produced one hit with the excerpt: "Ultimate pH values in reindeer meat with particular regard to animal sex..."

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks ken - you have given me a lot of ideas. I hadn't connected reindeer with venison but now you mention it I can see the link. I often cook venison - usually in stew but sometimes other ways too (not in curry yet - I don't know why, but I cant get my head around venison curry - it can't be because the flavour is strong because mutton is strong & makes a good curry).

I have some blackberries (from my allotment) in the freezer, and usually have beer around, so I'll make sure I have some nice mushrooms and some swede, so that once I've opened the tin I'll have something to work with.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roast Reindeer

"cowberry" jam is lingonberry jam, which I have seen for sale at IKEA.

M

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Here's a family favorite for Thanksgiving - you probably have the ingredients on hand.

CORN SOUFFLE
It isn't really a souffle-- just an easy, tasty casserole

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
- mix together dry ingredients

3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 can of cream corn (16-17 ounces, standard size can)
2-3 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 1 1/2 quart casserole dish

Beat the eggs (doesn't have to be much), add the sugar mixture & beat. Add milk and corn - mix it up.

Melt the butter & add
>NOTE: I simply melt the butter in the casserole dish in the microwave, swirl it around to coat the dish well, and then pour the mixture into the dish - the butter ends up separating out anyway as it bakes.

Bake until set in the middle and knife comes out clean (like custard) - golden brown on top. This is about 40 minutes for a single recipe if the dish isn't too deep but can be an hour for double recipes or deeper casserole dishes.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

LMC

Just curious -- given the amount of sugar in creamed corn, why does the recipe call for adding more? (I like my vegetables savoury, not candied.)

John

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

It makes for nice crunchy edges; it's only 2 Tablespoons after all.

Depending on your sensitivity to sweet, this could be too sweet for you-- (I wouldn't want all my vegetables to be sweet - but sweet corn is, as you say, already leaning in that direction) in fact, I think I'll make it tomorrow and use less sugar, see how that impacts it.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All right, hows this for a confession, I had developed an inability to cook a baked potato. I either put them in for too short a time at too low a temperature, so they are rock solid (tonight's story) or I put them in for too long a time at too high a temperature and they are brown all the way through.

So how do I work out temperatures and cooking times?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
So how do I work out temperatures and cooking times?

I normally do mine for an hour at 200C. I also have a metal potato spike which I impale the poor thing on, and helps speed up the cooking time. They're done when they're a bit soft to the touch.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
I also have a metal potato spike which I impale the poor thing on

From the Mrs Vlad range of kitchenware. Also includes a mincer, a very cruel nutcracker and a thing for destoning cherries that you don't even want to think about.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
From the Mrs Vlad range of kitchenware. Also includes a mincer, a very cruel nutcracker and a thing for destoning cherries that you don't even want to think about.

Not to mention the thing for doing beastly things to lemons.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the apple peeler/corer/slicer . . . shudder. . . .

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Hum mine seem to get brown too quickly at 150° C. I have skewers but don't use them. I know they do not cook at 100° C no matter how long they are in.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016