homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do my baked potatoes in a low-ish oven (about 130-150° C, IIRC) for an hour and a bit, depending on size of potato & whether or not it's a fan oven.
I also cut mine almlost in half or make a cut along the middle to make sure the centre's done.
Haven't had one in ages, so may have one soon!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I had developed an inability to cook a baked potato.

I find that the microwave is useful for baked potatoes. Wash and prick the potato. Put in the microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Then pop into an oven on 200C for 30 minutes. When cooking without a microwave I pop it in at 200C for 1 hour 30.

I rather like baked potatoes with roast chicken, and the times are the same, so I don't bother with the microwave then. But 35 minutes is a good time after coming in from work. A few minutes prep and then 30 minutes to relax and unwind and then dinner is ready.

----
I am looking for some vegan pudding recipes please. I have been catering for an Alpha course and I am needing ideas for the almost-vegan there. She has asked for no meat, no fish and no dairy. Mind you, when I made baked potatoes and oodles of fillings (cheese, chicken korma, bean salad, garlic mushrooms, vege bolognaise sauce) she helped herself to cheese and chicken korma! That rather felt like she was taking the mickey.

Tonight I made muffins, choc chip and also maple and walnut for the non-"almost-vegan". Actually I made muffins, some had dairy and some didn't.

My non-dairy muffins:

260g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
50g sugar
80g walnut pieces

Sift the siftables together into a large bowl, add the walnut bits.

1 egg
3 Tsp oil
3 Tsp maple syrup
1 cup water

In a separate bowl mix the egg and oil, then add the syrup and water.

Mix, but don't beat, and spoon into 12 muffin cases. Cook for 20ish minutes at 200C.

For the chocolate chip muffins substitue 100g of chocolate bits for the walnuts and milk for water. Leave out the syrup, but use 100g sugar, and add a tsp of vanilla.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Babybear

I will try your method soon.

In return how about winter fruit salad. You just buy dried fruit maybe raisin, apricots, figs, prunes. Place dried fruit into a pan and add apple juice to cover. At this stage you might add brandy, honey and/or various spices, my friend doesn't, I do. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes. Leave to cool.

Maybe served with Soya Creem as well as normal cream, and/or Swedish Glace as well as Ice cream.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
may we clarify terms, please? I always think "baked potato" = "jacket potato" - it still has the skin on, yes? I rarely bake potatoes but my mom always wrapped them in aluminum foil... I don't do centigrade ovens, so I'm not helpful for the rest. Microwave assist makes sense, however.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Babybear, here's a recipe fir a vegan chocolate pie that I got from my daughter. She calls it The Best Pie in the World. And it's easy!

1. Take a 1 lb block of silken tofu and whir it in a food processor until it's smooth.

2. Get a 1 lb bag of good semi-sweet chocolate chips. Melt the chips over low heat, stirring a lot to make sure they don't burn.

3. Combine the chocolate and the tofu, then pour it into a crust (an oreo cookie crust for people serious about their chocolate, but graham cracker works, too)

4. Chill it in the fridge until it's firm and mousse-like.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
you might melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler, over water - much harder to burn!

--------------------

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for those ideas; they both sound great.

I don't like dried fruits, but I think that this group would love them. I shall certainly be trying the chocolate pie for another occasion. It sounds quite like a smooth cheesecake and would be great for a friend who has developed sensitivities to wheat and cows milk.

Last time I dipped pieces of fruit in chocolate. The banana pieces were totally covered, but the satsuma/tangerine segments and the strawberries were only half dipped. Naturally I had to have a taste... tangerine segments dipped in dark chocolate are absolutely blissful. There is the bitterness of the chocolate and the sweetness of the fruit, the crunchy shell and the ooozing of the fruit as it is bitten into. Wonderful.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As promised over in the Christmas Crisis thread, here is my famous Porridge Cake! (It is lovely and moist - you need to trust me on this one!)

Mix together 1 cup porridge oats and 1 1/4 cup boiling water. Cook for a few minutes, adding more water if needed, or allow to stand for about 20 minutes. The final consistency should be quite thick and glutinous.

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/ Gas Mark 4.

Cream together until fluffy:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
Beat in:
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
Add the porridge mixture and beat well.

Now sift into the creamed mixture:
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup plain white flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Beat well, and stir in 1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts or walnuts (optional).

Pour into a greased and floured 9 inch round deep cake tin, or a 2 pound loaf tin if preferred. Bake for 35-45 minutes until it tests done.

This has a similar texture to carrot cake. It can be eaten without any topping, or alternatively, beat together some full fat cream cheese and some icing sugar, and spread that on top.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PeteCanada supplied me with a similarish recipe for an Oatmeal fruit cake - I add a bit more spice as well as raisins/sultanas/cherries or whatever else may be about.

Easy and delicious!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would be very grateful if someone who bakes a lemon chess pie (as mentioned on the Thanksgiving thread) would post it.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amos, this is one of my favorite recipes.

LEMON CHESS PIE

9" pastry shell, unbaked
2 c. sugar
2 Tblsp. flour
2 Tblsp. cornmeal
4 teasp. grated lemon rind
¼ c. lemon juice
¼ c. milk
4 eggs
¼ c. melted butter

Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into pie shell and bake at 375° about 40 minutes until golden brown.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may be being really thick - but theres no cheese in that is there? (I was wondering if it would be cheesecakey)

I have all the ingredients so I might make that... (if I can get myself in gear to make some pastry that is. Otherwise I guess I coudl do a biscuit base?)

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
As promised over in the Christmas Crisis thread, here is my famous Porridge Cake! (It is lovely and moist - you need to trust me on this one!)

Mix together 1 cup porridge oats and 1 1/4 cup boiling water. Cook for a few minutes, adding more water if needed, or allow to stand for about 20 minutes. The final consistency should be quite thick and glutinous.

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/ Gas Mark 4.

Cream together until fluffy:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
Beat in:
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
Add the porridge mixture and beat well.

Now sift into the creamed mixture:
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup plain white flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Beat well, and stir in 1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts or walnuts (optional).

Pour into a greased and floured 9 inch round deep cake tin, or a 2 pound loaf tin if preferred. Bake for 35-45 minutes until it tests done.

This has a similar texture to carrot cake. It can be eaten without any topping, or alternatively, beat together some full fat cream cheese and some icing sugar, and spread that on top.

I bake a very similar cake out of a 35-year-old Mennonite cookbook.

You can also top with a mix of butter, milk, brown sugar -- and grated coconut if you like -- and slide under the broiler until just browned.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh I love carrot cake, and I love porridge - so this might be a really nice one to make [Big Grin]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

I have been playing with my muffin recipe to make it vegan, and I think it has turned out rather nicely.

Banana, maple and walnut muffins
260g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
50g sugar
80g walnut pieces

Sift the siftables together into a large bowl, add the walnut bits.

1/2 medium banana
3 Tsp oil
3 Tsp maple syrup
1 cup water

In a separate bowl mash the banana, add the syrup. Then the oil and water.

Mix, but don't beat, and spoon into 12 muffin cases. Cook for 20ish minutes at 200C.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would anyone have a good recipe for pork chops that come out tender? It's so hard to get the pork properly well-done and not have them come out with the consistency of shoe leather.

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recommend high heat for a short period of time (and of course careful checking of meat to avoid giving yourself trichinosis). If you let the oil get hot before you put the meat in and make sure the meat is dethawed, you can often get decently non-tough pork. I also like to bread the pork before putting it in the olive oil. It seems to protect the tenderness a little. However, I've also found that it really depends partially on the meat I buy. My mom and I do the same thing, but we both find that our results vary dramatically and we have reason to believe it's the quality of the meat that is to blame.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A recipe I got from the pack of pork chops I bought said:
grill chops for about 5 minutes each side. This is to brown, so maybe a blitz in a frying pan would be better.
sweat some onions & garlic, mix with tin of chopped tomatoes.
Put in ovenproof casserole dish, put chops on top.
Add a slice of tomatoe onto each chop and a sliced ball of mozzarella. Pop in oven for about 20 minutes till mozzarella is melty and browned.
Quite moist.

Mr D cooked this but in a slightly different way (don't know what it was) and it was nice and moistish.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
I may be being really thick - but theres no cheese in that is there? (I was wondering if it would be cheesecakey)

I have all the ingredients so I might make that... (if I can get myself in gear to make some pastry that is. Otherwise I guess I coudl do a biscuit base?)

Thank you, Moo! I've got it copied into the back of my new Parson's Pocket Book now. Emma, it had never occurred to me before that the 'chess' in 'chess pie' or 'chess tarts' might be 'cheese'! If it is, though, it's 'cheese' only in the sense that lemon curd is 'curd'.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Would anyone have a good recipe for pork chops that come out tender? It's so hard to get the pork properly well-done and not have them come out with the consistency of shoe leather.

For chops, my favourite is to marinade them - I do Jamacian jerk a lot (brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, allspice, chopped shallot/scallion, thyme, chili). This gives a nice, caramelised finish when you grill them.

Otherwise, slow cooking. Seal at high heat for a couple of minutes, then put in some liquid (wine, cider, applejuice, orange juice, stock), cover and a low heat for 20 mins+

Since the leanest - and most expensive - cuts of pork can be the driest and most fibrous when cooked, I prefer the more fatty - rib chops, belly.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lucky people. You'd think I could get decent pork from the grocery stores in the greater Chicago area. You'd be wrong.

I gave up on Jewel-Osco stores a while back, after opening the package that was smelling quite nasty, and it a day or two before the sell-by date. Fortunately, I still had the receipt, took it back, and got some beef, after explaining to the store and meat department managers that it wasn't the first, second, or even third time. A week or so ago we were at Dominick's and I picked up a package of boneless country ribs. Day or two later, again before the sell-by date, and as I was starting to put marinade on them . . . sniff sniff . . . aw hell. I give up! [Mad]

There is a good meat market in town, guess I'll have to start paying more when I want pork.

To end on a happier note, Saturday was a friend's annual cookie-baking extravaganza. The Otter Pup was first out of the oven with his gingersnaps, most of which didn't even have time to cool. Mr. Otter made two batches of toffee, and one batch of molasses taffy. The toffee is/was good, the taffy was a soggy mess, probably from too much humidity while cooling outside. Pity, it tasted good but was just too messy to eat. [Razz]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

For chops, my favourite is to marinade them - I do Jamacian jerk a lot (brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, allspice, chopped shallot/scallion, thyme, chili). This gives a nice, caramelised finish when you grill them.

Otherwise, slow cooking. Seal at high heat for a couple of minutes, then put in some liquid (wine, cider, applejuice, orange juice, stock), cover and a low heat for 20 mins+

Since the leanest - and most expensive - cuts of pork can be the driest and most fibrous when cooked, I prefer the more fatty - rib chops, belly.

Our usual recipe is to cook with cider and orange juice and pieces of apple and orange. They just about disintegrate but do the dish no harm.

If you can bear to use it thus fresh pineapple juice does a great job, especially if you can inject it (into the meat, silly).

Failing that, what's wrong with roasting the chops?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Depending on where you live, you may or may not have to worry about trichinosis in pork. It was eradicated in Canada several decades ago. So I no longer have to worry about cooking the meat to shoe leather -- why would one bother cooking it in the first place.

So part of the problem is people thinking they have to cook the stuff until it's inedible. A pork roast (and I learned this in the UK, so they obviously don't have a problem with that disease either) can be very slightly pink in the middle and still perfectly safe to eat.

Part of the problem is that over the years, pork has been bred leaner and leaner. You can't cook a pork with little marbling and when all the fat's been carefully cut off theoutside by the butcher and expect it to be moist -- ubnless you use sauces and so on. That's one of the reasons I never eat pork in a restaurant -- the sauces are wornderful (or not) and the meat is just the excuse for th sauce.

If you're talking grilling thin chops -- grill until brown on one side, then turn over and do the same to the other. THick chops (3/4 inch or more) take longer, but then I'd be tempted to bake for a while after browning. Browning/searing is just as important as with steak in keeping the cooked meat juicy.

John

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, so when we ordered a venison roast from a speciality game website recently, we ordered a wild rabbit as well. Partly to get the cost up to free delivery level, partly because I used to enjoy a nice rabbit leg when I worked in France.

However, it has arrived, and I was expecting it to be... well... rabbit shaped, and suitable for stuffing and roasting like a small chicken. In fact, they seem to have taken all the bones out, it's a collapsed rabbit. I'm not at all sure how many people it will serve, or how to best cook it.

Does anybody know any scrummy recipes for a flat rabbit?

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:
Does anybody know any scrummy recipes for a flat rabbit?

I think I'd prefer flat rabbit to the first one I ever cooked. It had been given to my then fiancé by the handyman where he worked. He had paunched it, and I skinned it and roasted it whole.

It came out of the oven looking just like a roasted baby [Eek!]

Fortunately we were neither of us squeamish, and had no problem eating it, but I can still picture the poor thing nearly 35 years later

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never dealt with rabbit at all, but I think I'd try to get it rolled up and tied in a roughly cylindrical shape (I can never do as well as the pros), and treat it along the lines of a rolled, tied, boneless pork roast.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief's daughter has just been put on an elimination diet -- for the next four weeks or so, she has to avoid a lot of different foods. Before she started the elimination diet, she already had a number of foods she had to avoid because they trigger IBS symptoms. We'd gotten pretty good at cooking while avoiding her trigger foods. The elimination diet is, of course, much more difficult.

And, of course, Christmas comes during these four weeks. Can anyone provide recipes for holiday treats and goodies that do not include any of the following ingredients?

Wheat
Corn
Potatoes
Dairy
Eggs
Sugar (small amounts of molasses or honey OK)
Chocolate
Nuts
Beans
Tomatoes or eggplant
Citrus fruits
Broccoli

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

I forgot -- artificial sweeteners aren't allowed, either.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

Broccoli includes Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and their relatives?

Seems to me that leaves meat and rice

John

[ 07. December 2007, 14:12: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
Lucky people. You'd think I could get decent pork from the grocery stores in the greater Chicago area. You'd be wrong.

I gave up on Jewel-Osco stores a while back, after opening the package that was smelling quite nasty, and it a day or two before the sell-by date. Fortunately, I still had the receipt, took it back, and got some beef, after explaining to the store and meat department managers that it wasn't the first, second, or even third time. A week or so ago we were at Dominick's and I picked up a package of boneless country ribs. Day or two later, again before the sell-by date, and as I was starting to put marinade on them . . . sniff sniff . . . aw hell. I give up! [Mad]

There is a good meat market in town, guess I'll have to start paying more when I want pork.

Otter, you might try asking at the meat counter for what you want, instead of picking up prepackaged meats. The Dominick's near us has a good meat counter, and the guy there has never refused my requests, even though sometimes they duplicate what's in the prepackaged section.

I can highly recommend the butcher shop in the center of the town where I live. Chicago Prime Meats is great, but you pay through the nose. OK for a special occasion, I guess.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Part of the problem is that over the years, pork has been bred leaner and leaner. You can't cook a pork with little marbling and when all the fat's been carefully cut off theoutside by the butcher and expect it to be moist -- ubnless you use sauces and so on.

Preach it brother. I have had a devil of a time finding well-marbled pork. Pork-fat fans unite! You have nothing to lose but your slender figure!

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to rabbit

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has recipes for bunny burgers and rabbit satay, but says stews or casserole it because it is dry, along with bacon or pancetta to counteract the dryness.

My mother used to, possibly still does, make steaks out of the ones that got shot for digging up the lawn and treated them like Wiener Schnitzel - so egged and crumbed. That, in game pie and as pate were the only ways I ever liked rabbit.

I tried various recipes as I used to be able to buy jointed rabbit from the local WI market, but never really found one I liked. One recipe was for roasting joints under a stuffing and covered, another was fried into a marengo sauce.

The rabbit pate requires poaching the small pieces of a whole rabbit for 25 minutes, cooling and mincing the meat with 1lb belly of pork, 3 cloves garlic, thyme and parsley. Season with black pepper, pinch mace, grated lemon rind and pinch salt. Add 2 tbs cider, white wine or sherry, leave to stand to mix flavours. Line earthenware bowl (s) with 1/2 lb rashers of bacon, pack in the ingredients, lay two bayleaves on top and ocver with more bacon. Cover with a lid, foil or plate and cook in a bain marie at gas 3/160C for about 2 hours. Weight to cool over night.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine, is that all nuts?

One of the exclusion things I do (avoiding dairy) is to cook rice pudding using coconut milk, I usually use sultanas to sweeten it and add cardamon pods to flavour the mixture. Usual put a couple of handfuls of rice in the bottom of a casserole, add a handful of sultanas and a couple of cardamon pods, then pour over a can of coconut milk and bake in a low oven for a couple of hours. It tastes very creamy and luxurious and slightly exotic.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Seems to me that leaves meat and rice

Most fruits and vegetables are allowed, other than the ones I listed. Grains that are okay include rice, of course, but also oats and barley. No nuts (no exceptions, CK), and no peanuts, but seeds (pumpkin, sunflower) are okay. Soy-based products are allowed, as long as they don't include any of the forbidden ingredients, so I can substitute soy milk for regular milk in a recipe, and soy margarine for shortening.

[ 07. December 2007, 14:31: Message edited by: Josephine ]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
quote:
Part of the problem is that over the years, pork has been bred leaner and leaner. You can't cook a pork with little marbling and when all the fat's been carefully cut off theoutside by the butcher and expect it to be moist -- ubnless you use sauces and so on.

Preach it brother. I have had a devil of a time finding well-marbled pork. Pork-fat fans unite! You have nothing to lose but your slender figure!
In January I shall take delivery of half a well-reared, organic, free-range Gloucester Old Spot from a local farmer. Three friends and I will divide the meat for our households. Last year it was half a Large Black X: my first foray into the mysteries of buying pigs in boxes. I'd recommend it to anyone who has good local producers and a freezer.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
...snip...

Otter, you might try asking at the meat counter for what you want, instead of picking up prepackaged meats. The Dominick's near us has a good meat counter, and the guy there has never refused my requests, even though sometimes they duplicate what's in the prepackaged section.

That is another option, which I have considered. "I'd like a couple pounds of that, but I want to smell it before you wrap it up." [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for all the pork chop ideas. The fruit marinades sound especially yummy. I'd forgotten that pineapple has its own enzymes so using that would make a lot of sense for tenderizing.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lyda, if you are cooking for a group you could buy a pork loin. Just brine it and roast it. That way you can slice the chops after roasting the loin.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine, I was on a similar diet for a while and I came up with this pineapple pudding:

http://www.recipezaar.com/90991

You could also try replacing the soymilk with coconut milk, if that's a possibility.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

I am wondering about carrot and parsnip soup as a starter.

1kg (2lb) carrots
1 pinch salt
2 parsnips (medium)
1 litre (1½ pints) water
1 vegan stock cube

Method:

1. Bring water and salt to boil.
2. Add the chopped parsnip to the water.
3. Add the chopped carrots to the water.
4. Boil until the vegetables are very soft.
5. dissolve the stock cube in a little water, and add to the pan.
6. Turn off the heat.
7. Place small batches of the soup in a blender and blend until very smooth.
8. Return to the heat, then season to taste.

If some curry powder is acceptable, then that could be added too.

How about chicken in honey and mustard? Take half a tsp of mustard and half a tsp of honey for each skinned chicken breast. Mix together and spread over the chicken breast, pop in the oven and cook. Serve on a bed of rice, with a fresh green salad.

Garlic mushrooms with spinach, wrapped in ham might hit the mark for a party canape, although it could also be served hot too.

Saute half a finely chopped onion in a little bit of oil. Add in diced garlic and chopped mushrooms, and then some torn baby spinach. This will reduce down a bit to make mixture that will hold its shape reasonably well when given a bit of a squeeze.

Take some very thin, but good quality sliced ham and made a roulade. Pop in the fridge for a while to firm it up, and then slice. Arrange the slices on a party plate.

For a dessert, it can look stunning to poach pears in either red wine or grape juice. Then serve with a puree of strawberries (sweetened with honey).

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine -

I would say the blender and the roasting tray are your friends.

There are a lot of vegetables which improve dramatically if cubed, oiled, sprinkled with herbs, and roasted until the edges crisp. Squash, for example, carrots, parsnips, onions, peppers.

Ditto with soups - something that starts as a rather watery suspension of vegetables turns into wonderful creamy savoury smoothie if blitzed. It's then a good base for adding spices - the warmer inidan ones work well with root vegetables: curry powder or cumin + cayenne etc

If you want something lighter, lettuce, pea, onion, singly or in combination.

While on stock, there's an interesting world of clear soups with delicately sliced meat or veg poached in them. And flavoured with the likes or lemongrass or chili. It's the sort of thing everyone might be longing for after a few Christmas dinners.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the new year, I may well be teaching various women to cook, if everything works out.

Since most of the women will be limited in terms of (a) finances, (b) facilities (think 2 rings and a Baby Belling) and possibly (c) ability, I'd be very grateful for any and all the cheap, tasty and easy recipes you can spare. I do, of course have my own staples (cough *100-page electronic recipe document* cough), but I always work on the principle of "the more the merrier" when it comes to recipes.

Cakes I have more than covered - those of my ancestors who weren't in the Womens' Institute were in the Townswomens' Guild and I can do scones, fairy cakes, sponges, fruit cakes, and other English cakes, pastries and bakery items standing on my head with my eyes closed.

[ 08. December 2007, 12:14: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

My first suggestion would probably be to dig out your copy of Katherine Whitehorn's Cooking in a Bedsit.

Second would be to persuade them all to spend what little they have on a non-stick pan with a lid.

That way you can fry, stir fry, braise and casserole.

If you have nothing agin ready sauces (or, indeed, Campbell's condensed), you just have to teach a) soften the onions b) seal the meat c) chuck over the sauce d) cook for a bit.

From there you can move on to improving the sauce with additional ingredients, to making your own with a few basics like tinned tomatoes or stock or creme fraiche.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

As basic cooking equipment for my daughter to take to university we went for a pan and a wok - the wok because it lets you do pretty much everything and an extra pan to be able to boil up pasta, rice or potatoes to serve with whatever appears from the wok. You can buy non-stick woks, with draining racks, which are useful.

Other good basic cheap cookery books are:
  • Jocasta Innes Pauper's Cookbook, which is in its third edition. I am still cooking from my second copy of the first edition, and it's in bits
  • Susan Campbell and Caroline Conran's Poor Cook if you can get hold of it.

I prefer the Pauper's Cookbook, which has sections on managing shopping sensibly, cooking on a budget, menus for a week and leftovers, plus entertaining on a budget.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually what you might spend some time doing is getting them to think about multi-tasking with a baby Belling. I remember when I was at University, thirty odd of us were supposed to cook our Saturday nights tea on one of those. Yes some of us went out for Baked Potatoes but equally some cooked three course meals for their boyfriends. Somehow in the space of around four hours, all the cooking, baking and reheating that was required was done on that. Potatoes would bake in the bottom, with a casserole along side and maybe a pizza as well on the top shelf, while at least one pan cooked something on the top.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just wanted to say I made chocolate mousse pie with Mousethief Crust today, and it came out really, really good.

[Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have recently been presented, even as I sat here at my computer, with a glass of pineapple and lemon juice which was bliss to drink. There is a glut of pineapples this year so they are about 10 pence/20 US cents/24 Aussie cents each. I suggested he try making Pineapple and Lemon Sorbet so we googled for a recipe and this dish is even now in the freezer having its first freeze and will be whisked again before bed and be ready to serve tomorrow.

I then carried on browsing the recipes for a bit, as one does, and found a couple for black pepper ice cream! We look like having a mammoth crop of pepper this year so this is a definite go - one person described it as having the smoothness of vanilla with a lovely peppery kick at the end - can you imagine?

I shall report back on the sorbet tomorrow and on the ice cream whenever we get around to making it. My report tomorrow may well consist of:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

I think I might keep him, what do you think?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... chocolate mousse pie with Mousethief Crust today, ...

[Overused]

How many Mousethieves (?) does it take to make a pie????
[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

WW, I think somebody in our Ship's party had pepper ice cream up in Berkeley... or perhaps it was jalapeño. I could do without that (tend to react to pepper) but pineapple sorbet w/a splash of lemon? Oh my... do enjoy on behalf, okay?! If it weren't so chilly outside I might be drooling...

BTW, it wasn't Mousethief pie, it was Mousethief crust... always suspected he was crusty... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have made white chocolate icecream with chilli. It was delicious, and we had great fun watching our guests eyes widen as they got the chilli 'hit' after the initial cold sweetness.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016