homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had Ginger ice cream before [the first time was in Seattle, of all places] and that was delicious.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the double post, albiet several hours apart; I just wanted to tell you that the pineapple and lemon sorbet was amazingly wonderful! Highly recommended. I think this will become a house standard.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
WW, I think somebody in our Ship's party had pepper ice cream up in Berkeley... or perhaps it was jalapeño.

Habanero chili, as I recall. I think it was Hart.

[i am not e.e.cummings]

[ 11. December 2007, 04:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

HWMBO now informs me that he is considering adapting his sorbet recipe to make a Ginger Sorbet, whether with or without lemon is as yet unclear. It certainly sounds interesting but whether it will work or not is yet to be seen.

I've just googled it and there are loads of recipes or rather one recipe loads of times, so it seems to have quite a following.

Watch this space ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We have recently had lunch and just now His Esteemed Wonderfulness has brought me a dish of a scoop each of Ginger and Lemon Sorbet and Carrot, Ginger and Lemon Sorbet. I have to tell you that they are both sublime though I suspect that the ginger available in the USA is rather less potent than the stuff we grow here as the ginger/lemon one is a little, erm, breathtaking even after we diluted it quite a bit after the first freezing.

Highly recommended!

A small serving between courses of a multi-course meal would be fabulous but it is great as a stand alone dessert as well.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recipes, please WW

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently tried out the fish mongers by the Gulf for a get together with a couple from church. I found out that I can get really fresh yellow fin tuna for a fraction of the price of the frozen stuff at the grocery. The only draw back is to get a proper thickness of steak I need to buy a bunch of tuna. I marinaded the steaks in a soy, honey, wasabi powder mix and slapped them on the grill. Absolutely delicious.

I now need to try some of the other fish. Does anyone know any good recipes for pompano, tilapia and other fresh fish?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Recipes, please WW

John

Your humble servant, sir.

I'll start with the pineapple and lemon as it is so easy, for the ginger one go here although I would watch the quantities of ginger depending on how strong it is.

Pineapple & Lemon Sorbet

First catch your pineapples and peels them then cut into chunks - fairly small ones, I'd suggest.

Whizz pineapple chunks in a blender until smoothish - how long depends on how smooth you want the sorbet.

Squeeze some lemons.

Add lemon juice and sugar to the pineapple pulp/juice, whizzing every so often, until you get the taste that makes you go WOW!! We like ours a little tart, but then with me here what did you expect?

Place in ice cream maker, if you have one, and follow the usual instructions but we don't have one of those, yet [Snigger] , so here is what we did.

Pour mixture into a stainless steel bowl and place in freezer for an hour or two, or even three depending on your freezer and how much mixture there is in the bowl. Take out, whizz, return to bowl, return to freezer and repeat after about another hour or two then place in a lidded plastic freezer box and leave overnight or for a few hours.

If it made you go WOW! when it was just the mixture I can pretty much guarantee that when it is sorbet it will make you WOW!!!

Currently here we are paying 20 pence [UK], 40 cents [Canadian] for a medium sized pineapple, from the market so probably picked yesterday or the day before. The little lemons we get here are around 2 pence each.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
... I now need to try some of the other fish. Does anyone know any good recipes for pompano, tilapia and other fresh fish?

We eat a lot of Seer fish, otherwise known as Indian Mackerel, but what we do with it will work with any other firm fish. Here we tend to have it in small chunks [tikka] but this recipe will work just as well with steaks.

Peel a lot of garlic. Put garlic in a grinder with some salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder, you can use split fresh chillies if you prefer, you can even add a little peeled ginger.

Whizz to form a paste.

Coat fish in the paste and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.

Either fry or grill the fish - if tikka you could also spear them on a skewer and cook them in a tandoor, if you have one lying about, or anything else where you would cook kebabs.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just remembered that I promised ages ago to post this recipe for Fleur Pastry. It is the pastry recommended by my mother-in-law, the She Who Must Be Obeyed of Baking, for mince pies. It may be familiar to pastry experts, but was new to me... I used it last year and was happy with the results.

(in old measurements, sorry)

6oz flour
1 pinch of salt
3.5oz butter or marg
1oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk

Sift flour and salt into basin. Rub in fat with fingers. Stir in the sugar. Add the egg yolk.

Knead with hand until pliable, then roll out and use at once for pie, flan and pastry cases.

I think I've mentioned before that SWMBOOB's recipes tend to be light on detail. I presume that the flour is plain (I'll check) and that you bake at about 200dg 'till golden brown!

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks WW.

Iole -- would that be 200 celsius or 200 fahrenheit?

John

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Iole -- would that be 200 celsius or 200 fahrenheit?

Celsius [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Made stained glass biscuits today. Normal thin biscut dough recipe, cut a hole in the middle with a cutter and put a boiled sweet in. Bake and hang on the Christmas tree.

See Blue Peter made one earlier...

Fab.....

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A successful experiment for those that want it. Vegan double creem
Sorry no quantities but lets see
ingredients
  • Vegan single cream substitute e.g. Soya Dream or Oatly Cream .
  • Ground Almonds
  • vanilla paste (or other vanilla flavouring)

Pour about 3/4 of amount required of vegan cream substitute in bowl, add about 1/4 of ground almonds and vanilla paste to taste. Mix thoroughly.

I had a guy asking for me to give the recipe to his Mum so I better email his dad with it tonight.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
... I now need to try some of the other fish. Does anyone know any good recipes for pompano, tilapia and other fresh fish?

We eat a lot of Seer fish, otherwise known as Indian Mackerel, but what we do with it will work with any other firm fish. Here we tend to have it in small chunks [tikka] but this recipe will work just as well with steaks.

Peel a lot of garlic. Put garlic in a grinder with some salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder, you can use split fresh chillies if you prefer, you can even add a little peeled ginger.

Whizz to form a paste.

Coat fish in the paste and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.

Either fry or grill the fish - if tikka you could also spear them on a skewer and cook them in a tandoor, if you have one lying about, or anything else where you would cook kebabs.

Thanks WW I have a grill and the fish market sells king mackerel. If this is similar to your seer fish I'll give your marinade a go.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any suggestions please for a light salmon starter for a Christmas eve dinner for 2 ? When planning the menu I thought salmon would be good and now have some smoked salmon slices in the freezer, and that's as far as I got. I'm working during the day so it needs to be unfussy or one that I can prepare the day before. The menu has a vaguely Lapland theme - we are also having reindeer spaghetti bolognese and chocolate moose - oops mousse.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Line patty tins with smoked salmon, fill with cream cheese and then fold the salmon over to make a parcel. Alternatively fill with smoked salmon pate made by processing smoked salmon in the blender with melted butter, lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper. Its very easy and I am in charge of making that for our Christmas day meal.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cross post with My Duck. Great minds and all that...

I like a nice simple smoked salmon paté - very simple:
buy a cream cheese, whichever creaminess rocks your boat, a lemon & some dill if you can find it.
Whizz the smoked salmon in a food processor with about half the 250g pack of cream cheese, a squirt of lemon, some pepper & some dill. Whizz to your preferred consistency - chunky or smooth.
Serve with toast or melba toast.

OR,
reserve some smoked salmon slices, and make a little Christmas parcel of pate, tying it up with a long chive.

It's a bit vague on quantities as I taste as I go along, until it suits how I feel that day...

[ 19. December 2007, 08:52: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going with the theme of smoke salmon pate, you could make up the pate and put it in a little ramekin. Then serve with Melba toast, a wedge of lemon and a sprig of dill.

The easy way to make Melba toast is to toast both sides of a slice of bread. Then gently slide a bread knife between the toasted outside and slice the bread in half the 'difficult way'. Then toast the untoasted sides under a grill. It is much easier to slice the pre-toasted bread than to try to make really thin slices first.

Want an easier option, serve with some rough oatcakes.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for these lovely recipes - I can almost taste it already!
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

Apparently in Lapland they bake unleavened barley bread. Which sounds like it might go nicely with the smoked salmon recipes above.

I couldn't find any specific laplander recipes, but here's one for unleavened barley bagels as possibly eaten by Vikings (did any Vikings come from Lapland?).

Or am I taking a theme a little too far [Biased]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:
Or am I taking a theme a little too far [Biased]

I don;t think that could be possible :-)
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I am eating a wild rice mix* with sauteed "hen of the woods" mushrooms. I sauteed the mushrooms in butter then added the rice and cooked for a couple of minutes. Then I added chicken stock instead of water. Very simple to make yet the results are very tasty.

*The rice is a mix of wild, brown, red, and white rice.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, Daisydaisy - how did your smoked salmon go? We had ours on little blinis, with a cream cheese/cream mix, and a dob of caviare (courtesy of my mum's trip to Norway.) I think the blinis were a bit stale, as they didn't add much to the experience...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which brings us to leftovers.

Anyone with any superior ideas on recycling chicken? Usually I would dice and add to a rissotto-oidal mix, but I fancy something more along the lines of a pie or pastie. I have mushrooms. What I need is a savoury sauce to moisten it all.

Duw, I've just remembered - I need to go and make a loaf of bread to go with the fondue.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Anyone with any superior ideas on recycling chicken? Usually I would dice and add to a rissotto-oidal mix, but I fancy something more along the lines of a pie or pastie. I have mushrooms. What I need is a savoury sauce to moisten it all.

Duw, I've just remembered - I need to go and make a loaf of bread to go with the fondue.

The simplest idea I can think of, because who wants to make a big fuss in the kitchen on Boxing Day?, is to fry off a chopped onion and some garlic for a bit then add the mushrooms then the chicken, fry a moment or two, turn off heat, add a spoon of creme fraiche, stir, place in pie dish, cover with crust, bake until golden and serve possibly with bubble and squeak made from the left over veggies.

Half fat creme fraiche will be awful in this as it always seems to curdle, use the full fat and worry about the calories later.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The lazies ...er... simplest way is a can of cream of whatever soup. Either chicken or mushroom would be fine, since you're thinking of mushrooms. Cheese soup would probably be good, too. Or make your own with a roux and whatever liquid is handy and sounds good.

I make a "mexican chicken pot pie" which has . . . easier to just cut & paste in the recipe:

* Double Recipe of Pot Pie & Pastie Crust - follows
* 3-4 cups cut-up cooked chicken (3-4 breast halves), or turkey
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Co-Jack or cheddar cheese
* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit

The chicken can be poached, roasted, sauteed, or whatever. Leftover turkey also, provided it is not smoked.

Make a double recipe of the Crust, and set aside to rest.

A food processor is your friend. After making the crust, don't bother cleaning the bowl - the little bit of dough or other ingredients that remain won't be a problem. Proceed to chop the onion in it. Move onion to large mixing bowl. Shred the cheese in the food processor, then add it to the mixing bowl. You could even chop the (cooked) chicken in the food processor, if you don't mind very small shredded pieces. I prefer larger.

Add the soup, sour cream, and salsa, and mix.

Butter a 12" cast-iron skillet. Roll out 2/3 of the dough to form the bottom crust, and place in pan. Fill. Dampen the edge of the bottom crust.

Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the dough for the top crust. If you got the sizes right, you won't need to trim the crusts. Pinch the edges of the crusts together, dampen again, roll together toward the center slightly, and pinch together again.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown. Let rest 10 minutes or so. It'll still be soupy, anyway.

Alternatively, make in the 9" cast-iron skillet and 3 small ramekins - IIRC a triple dough recipe. Eat the small ramekin pies for dinner, once refrigerated overnight, the filling in the skillet pie will be set enough to be less messy to cut and dish up.

Adapted from "Mexican Chicken in a Crust" in Betty Crocker's Red Spoon Collection, Best Recipes for Chicken, copyright 1989, General Mills, Inc., Prentice Hall Press, ISBN: 0-13-073065-3

Adapted from the same recipe book, my recipe for pastie and pot pie crust:

* 1/3 cup butter (5 1/3 tablespoons)
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 to 3/4 cup water

Double for a pot pie crust in the 12" cast-iron skillet - round butter up to 11 tablespoons.

Make in either a food processor or stand mixer. (or you can do it by hand)

Beat the butter into the flour, salt, and baking powder until mixture is homogeneous. Slowly add water until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. The dough should not be sticky - if so, knead in additional flour.

These directions produce a tough, chewy crust. For a flaky crust, refer to any cookbook for the method of producing a flaky pie crust.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those ideas are too much like cooking for me!
Cold chicken (or whatever), stuffing and pickled walnut sandwiches, with crudités and a garlic mayo dip [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Those ideas are too much like cooking for me!

[Smile] I only do the mexican chicken pot pie a few times a year, because it does take time. Although if I assembled it one evening, it could probably go in the oven as soon as I get home from work the next.

I could have strangled The Otter Pup one day this summer when I made it. I'd made the recipe as written for Mr. Otter and The Pup and a version low on dairy for me (in a smaller pan). Dinner eaten, I asked The Pup to take a plastic soda bottle out to the recycle bin in the kitchen. Being a 13-year-old boy, he tossed the bottle from across the kitchen. The bottle hit the flourescent light on the ceiling, spraying bits of flourescent bulb everywhere - including across both leftover pot pies! [Waterworks]

At least the stupidity was it's own punshment, in the shape of The Pup losing out on leftovers. [Biased]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Tis too late now, but I would have chopped an onion and sauted it. Then made a white sauce around it. Added some garlic and chopped mushroom (and any Christmas veggies). This would go into a dish and get a pastry lid.

----

Last night I made a Chicken Ragu Pasta.
Chicken breasts were cooked and sliced and a jar of a ragu sauce (the tomato sauce part of a Bolognaise sauce). Cooked pasta was added and the whole thing was put into an oven-proof dish. A white sauce was added to the top, then grated cheese. It was popped in the oven for 20 minutes.

I often do this using a packet of Quorn mince, but this was the first time with chicken. It was rather lovely.

----

We have rather a lot of milk just now. Last night we had the pasta dish above, with a white sauce. This morning I have made pancakes and milk shakes.

I am looking for suggestions as to what to make that will use up milk. The family are not fans of milk puddings.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Urgent request! I'm away from home, and from the indispensable PWMU (Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union! -- don't they sound worthy?) cookery book, and have promised to make a typical Australian dinner. For which I'd like to cook the best dessert in the world (IMHO) i.e. Lemon Delicious. Does anyone have a recipe -- PWMU for choice, but any known and tested recipe would be very much appreciated.
Thank you all.

Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry BB , my Presb. Ladies cookbook is all packed away still. Mine dates from an era which says things like "put saucepan over a clear flame." It also has lots of handy hints for various household chores and mild illnesses. One for diarrhea involves copious quantities of laudanum and brandy taken every hour. I'm sure after a couple of doses the sufferer would be in bliss! [Eek!]

Still, a very handy book. I think mine is close on 100 years old.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine is just over 27 years old -- a wedding present! It has the indispensable recipe for woolly wash in it-- with Lux and eucalyptus oil -- as well as Lemon Delicious.
Brandy and laudanum, hey? This flags the very very significant difference bwtween the PWMU and the WCTU! (And more's to the point -- have you tried it??)

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have looked in my own "Red recipes re-visited " which is a compilation of recipes from my own old red folder, given me by younger sister for 21st birthday a long time ago. Now put together again by request of all my sons.

Can't find lemon delicious, but these two which I have reprinted are yummy and Australian.

Hosts note: these are from family treasures and have not been printed anywhere as far as I know, so no copyright issues.

In the first one, fresh passionfruit only. Tinned stuff is yuk. Steamed pudding can have syrup increased by up to four or five decent tablespoons without anything going wrong. In fact, my family would consider it anaemic unless I used a lot. Famiy tradition serves it with very cold milk, but other heretics have used custard.

I updated the recipes when I re-wrote the folder, so measurements are metric and temps are Celsius.

Passionfruit Tart

1 bought pastry tart shell (or make your own shortcrust pastry which is usually nicer.)

2 eggs

½ cup sugar

3 passionfruit

1 teaspoon butter

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Whisk egg. Add sugar, lemon and passionfruit. Pour into tart case and dot with butter. Bake at 170 deg about 30 minutes.

Grandma’s Famous Golden Syrup Steamed Pud

60 gm marg

2 tabs golden syrup ( at least. I usually use at least 4)

½ cup milk

1 egg

2 cups flour

Place marg, milk and golden syrup in saucepan and heat gently till marg melts. Beat egg into this and stir in the flour. Place in a well greased pudding steamer. Place in large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 1 ½ hours. Do not let water boil dry. Serve with cold milk.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Thanks, Loth -- you're very kind indeed, sharing family treasures!
I'm not much of a hand at pastry, but the passionfruit tart sounds really good.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

One time I made the passionfruit tart, the oven must have been too hot and the top of the tart rose a great deal and browned. Underneath was a hollow to the filling. I whipped some cream and sort of squirted it in through a small hole. Yummy variation.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I took cookies to work today (left over from yesterday's party at home), and one of my co-workers wanted my recipe for pecan pie bars.

I know it's a heresy, but I like these better than I like pecan pie.

Pecan Pie Bars

Crust
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, cold

Filling
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1/4 cup dark Karo
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine flour and sugar, cut in butter until crumbly. Press into the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir together the filling ingredients. Spread over the partially baked crust. Continue baking for 25-28 minutes, until golden brown.

Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars. Store refrigerated.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

From Lothlorien:
quote:
One time I made the passionfruit tart, the oven must have been too hot and the top of the tart rose a great deal and browned. Underneath was a hollow to the filling. I whipped some cream and sort of squirted it in through a small hole. Yummy variation.

Yum! You, madam, are my kind of cook! Can I come to tea at your place? [Big Grin]
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by bush baptist:
From Lothlorien:
quote:

Yum! You, madam, are my kind of cook! Can I come to tea at your place? [Big Grin]
Certainly BB. just as soon as I get myself in order and find somewhere.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup dark Karo

Is powdered sugar the same as confectioner's sugar (ie British icing sugar)?

What is Karo?

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lemon Delicious: interestingly, a Scottish friend insists that this is called "Tasmanian Pudding" [Eek!]

2 lemons, 60g butter, 1 1/2 cups castor sugar, 3 eggs separated, 3 tablespoons SR flour, 1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 180 celcius. Butter a 1 litre overproof dish. Zest 1 lemon and juice both. In a food processor, cream butter with zest and sugar, add egg yolks. Add flour and milk alternately to make a smooth batter. Scrape mixture from sides of processor and blend in lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl. In another bowl, beat egg whites until firm. Fold egg whites into the batter. Pour the whole lot into the buttered dish and stand in a bain marie. Bake for 1 hour. (Stephanie Alexander recipe from "Cooks Companion 1996 p394 - better than my family version)

Sorry for the long post, but Arleigh suggested I post the prawn and mango salad recipe (adapted from Australian Women's Weekly)...

Slice 1 avocado and mix with 1 mango peeled and sliced and mix with 1/4 cup of vinaigrette dressing (approx 1:5 vinegar to evoo with some s&p and tiny bit of dijon mustard to taste)plus 2 tblspn lemon juice. Mix and leave for 10 mins or so (but overnight on Christmas Eve is fine). Peel and devein 10 or so large tiger prawns. Mix 2 tblns mayo with 2 teaspn sweet chilli sauce. Drain the liquid from the mango and prawns into the mayo mixture and mix well. Add the prawns to the mango and avocadoes and then mix the whole lot in with the dressing.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Blessings on you, and many, many thanks, Clarence! I'll report after Saturday night.
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup dark Karo

Is powdered sugar the same as confectioner's sugar (ie British icing sugar)?

What is Karo?

I believe so - it's very fine, and has some cornstarch added. Commonly used with some milk to make icing.

Karo syrup is corn syrup, comes in light and dark varieties. Light and dark are mostly-interchangeable, although like dark brown sugar, dark corn syrup has more flavor.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you could probably substitute golden syrup for the Karo.

Or use a mixture of a heavy simple syrup and molasses. Just using straight molasses wouldn't work (molasses flavor would be too strong), but if you used maybe one part molasses with three or four parts of simple syrup, that would probably work.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have been promised (or threatened with - depending on your POV) snow today. I very much doubt it will arrive here - I hope not, as I haven't been shopping since before Christmas and we will need fresh supplies by the weekend!

The temperature has dropped somewhat, but fortunately I still had a couple of parsnips, a carrot, a potato and an onion in the larder, plus a bowl of unsweetened apple purée in the fridge, so was able to make a big pan of our favourite curried parsnip and apple soup for lunch [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

I promised, re: lemon delicious
quote:
I'll report after Saturday night.
Well, well.... the recipe was lovely, and I strongly recommend it to those who haven't yet had this world's best dessert, but as for me:
-- I guessed wrong about how many limes make two lemons (I went for three, but should have tried four -- or maybe five?)
-- the gas bottle ran out just as the pud should have gone in the oven. I'm away from home, and it took a while to sort things out, so it stood for quite a while. This might have been why it was runnier than usual. (Or maybe it was that the spoon I was using for flour was smaller than the spoon size at home?)

[ 06. January 2008, 20:49: Message edited by: bush baptist ]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need help on improving a recipe. It is sort of half created, this version is vegan but:

Scot's Delight(no I didn't name it)

Ingredients
  • Oats
  • sugar
  • Soya cream
  • vanilla paste
  • ground almonds
  • whisky
  • raspberries
  • sugar
  • water
(yes I know there is sugar twice and no quantities)

instructions
  1. Puts oats on a baking tray and sprinkle with sugar toast under the grill until the sugar has melted
  2. mix oats with whiskey, soya cream, ground almonds and vanilla paste and leave to soak preferably for a couple of hours.
  3. mean while put raspberries in a pan with water and other lot of sugar and cook to create a raspberry sauce.
  4. serve with alternating layers of oat mixture and raspberry sauce.

This can be delicious, however I already would suggest layering Swedish Glace if you want to remain vegan or Cream o Galloway Ice cream, though I'd then swap the soya cream for single cream.

Other "improvements" include using mixed berries instead of raspberries, using muesli instead of oats and using Granola to cut out the first stage.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Yes the whisky adds something to this very adult dessert but the rest of the flavours mean a single malt would be wasted on it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I need help on improving a recipe. It is sort of half created, this version is vegan but:

Scot's Delight(no I didn't name it)

Ingredients
  • Oats
  • sugar
  • Soya cream
  • vanilla paste
  • ground almonds
  • whisky
  • raspberries
  • sugar
  • water
(yes I know there is sugar twice and no quantities)

instructions
  1. Puts oats on a baking tray and sprinkle with sugar toast under the grill until the sugar has melted
  2. mix oats with whiskey, soya cream, ground almonds and vanilla paste and leave to soak preferably for a couple of hours.
  3. mean while put raspberries in a pan with water and other lot of sugar and cook to create a raspberry sauce.
  4. serve with alternating layers of oat mixture and raspberry sauce.

This can be delicious, however I already would suggest layering Swedish Glace if you want to remain vegan or Cream o Galloway Ice cream, though I'd then swap the soya cream for single cream.

Other "improvements" include using mixed berries instead of raspberries, using muesli instead of oats and using Granola to cut out the first stage.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Yes the whisky adds something to this very adult dessert but the rest of the flavours mean a single malt would be wasted on it.

Jengie

This looks awfully like a cross between Athol Brose (cream, oats, whisky) and trifle (fruit, vanilla and almond).

My instinct would be to retreat a generation, to either parent, and start again.

John

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

The vanilla and almond can be ignored (it's a method of getting a vegan equivalent to double cream but makes a delicious sweet sauce). The raspberries are from the original recipe. Tastes nothing like trifle nor really shares any textures, no custard layer, no cake. Fruit is sharp rather than sweet.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounded more like cranachan to me.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016