homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
This looks awfully like a cross between Athol Brose (cream, oats, whisky) and trifle (fruit, vanilla and almond).

Looks like a version of Cranachan to me.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, I said that! [Smile]
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes it certainly sounds as if Cranachan was one of my friends starting points (she was working with two recipes for similar dishes).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm inclined to think that soya cream (whatever that is) would be an Abomination Unto the Lord in Cranachan. I make a similar version to the one quoted by Roseofsharon, but with sugar instead of honey, and sometimes use a mixture of blackberries strawberries, raspberries and blueberries that you can get here in frozen packages. If you can get fresh blackberries to garnish it with, so much the better - they're so pretty.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
On another thread, Pigwidgeon posted:
cooking for one person is a pain

Hmmm. I like cooking so I cook anyway. Not every day but most days. Not particularly healthy because I tend to make about four times too much of everything.

For some reason I've been back on a bean kick again for a week or two. Recovering from Christmas I suppose. You don't have to do all the soaking and stuff if you don't want to - tinned beans are quite fun in a way.

Last week I cooked a very spicy chickpea thing with a tin of chickpeas and a tin of chopped tomato. I chopped a couple of onions and fried them gently in olive oil in a large pan until nearly brown and smelling good. Added quite a lot of chopped garlic and a bit of cooked potato (I cheated and nuked the potato in the microwave for 6 minutes first to speed things up) then threw in lots of ground pepper, a chopped dried red chili, some paprika, cumin, and quite a lot of fenugreek and somethign green (I honestly can't remember what). Fried that for half a minute, then added the tinned chickpeas and tinned chopped tomato. and a couple of onions and a real fresh tomato and a lot of tomato paste - this bit involves stirring. Cooked it until ready. I think I might have added a little more water.

Last night I did something even simpler - chopped and fried an onion, and mixed that in a bowl with tinned chickpeas, some spices (pepper mainly), and some chopped cucumber. Put chunks of halloumi and feta cheese on top and put it in a hot oven for twenty minutes

So I ate it with chips... it was still very nice

Far too much though. But very nice.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a cooking question, so I thought I'd try it here rather than on the questions thread. Last night I cooked this Kedgeree recipe. Or rather, I cooked it, but doubling everything up*.

I wasn't very pleased with it: the rice was badly underdone, the stock was overpowering and it didn't reduce as much I assumed it would. I was thinking it would have the consistency of risotto, but there was much too much fluid left.

So, my question is: what went wrong? Given I doubled the ingredients, should I have increased the cooking time?

--

* Actually, instead of doubling up the carrot, I used one carrot plus a sweet pepper.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hart, I cook something similar - the traditional version is with smoked haddock, but I usually use smoked mackerel because it is cheap! I use water not stock, because I think there is enough flavour (and salt) from the spices (I use turmeric and garam masala) and mackerel. Getting the rice right is interesting. I tend to just cook it until it is done or just about and then add the fish to warm through, not bother with timings. I check how ready the rice is by trying it, but I do find the timing is very variable.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are using basmati rice, bring it to the boil with the right amount of water (typically about two cups of water to one of rice - slightly less for high-quality or fresh rice), bring to the boil, stir, simmer with the lid on for five minutes, stir again, put the lid on, remove from the hear and just leave it. All the water will be absorbed in about ten minutes and it cannot be underdone or (more common with rice) over watered.

--------------------
Ken

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is amazing the number of recipes can go under the same name. About the only points that one intersects with what I would call kedgeree is the presence of egg, rice and fish.

The one I like is -

Rice - cook as ken suggests. Eggs - hard boiled. Fish - smoked haddock covered and well buttered and then either baked or microwaved.

Combine, with more butter and lots of black pepper.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In general, it's not a good idea to double a recipe the first time you try it. Most of the time it turns out okay, but sometimes it doesn't

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just cooked Rick Stein's Shepherd's Pie, Indian style (well, a variation) and following the delighted sighs from FD, have decided to post it here:

1 onion, finely chopped
2.5 cm ginger grated
4 cloves garlic, crushed

Fry until golden, then mix in with
400g lamb mince
1 tblspn of curry powder (a good kind, or failing that, a mixture of 1 tblspn cumin, 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp ground coriander)
1 finely chopped hot red chilli
Fry until brown.

In the meanwhile, boil potatoes to be the topping. Mash, when ready, with butter and milk.

To the browned meat mixture add 1 tin tomatoes (crushed), peel of one lime (in one piece, like an apple peeling) and fresh coriander (say a small handful). A little stock or stock powder might be good (but taste first).

Simmer the meat mixture for about 5 mins. Add the juice of half the lime. Put in a dish and top with mash. Bake in oven for 35 mins at 200 celcius.

Take out the lime peel when serving. Nice with the usual chutneys and with peas.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am here to report a triumph and revelation! (Testify, sister). I have made the Snickerdoodles to end all Snickerdoodles. They are actually a threat to health -- I made 6 dozen yesterday afternoon and today 30 hours later, there are two left at the bottom of the jar. They were eaten in quantity last night, and by a dinner guest, and surreptitiously all day today.

The secret was: better butter and a commercial baking quality cookie sheet I got as a gift. I used organic butter from grass-fed cows. I knew that grass-fed butter was better, but I had no idea what a difference really great butter makes. I used this recipe, only I halved the shortening and replaced the other half with the aforementioned butter. If you have a whole foods market near you, it probably carries Strauss family butter -- all grass fed farm in California.

Yum, yum, yum.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
clarence, sounds yummy. And Laura, don't know that I've ever done snicker doodles with butter - will have to check my recipe and then consider the quality of butter... (like mercy, it is not strained [Biased] ).

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I used organic butter from grass-fed cows. I knew that grass-fed butter was better, but I had no idea what a difference really great butter makes.

It sounds as if grass-fed cows are unusual in your area. What do cows normally eat?

I have only known cows to eat grass, and to receive some supplements during the winter when the grass isn't growing so quickly.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Inspiration for tonight for someone??

Fry up an onion with some mushrooms, chopped carrot and any other veg you fancy (leeks work well). Add in the contents of a split haggis and some whisky (you want something strong in this - Talisker if you have it!) You can add flour before the whisky if you want a more "sauce like texture. Put it in a short crust pie case and bake for as long as the case requires. Yummy

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it wrong to be excited that my first attempt at a sourdough starter is actually doing something?

It's going "blup" occasionally.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
It sounds as if grass-fed cows are unusual in your area. What do cows normally eat?

I have only known cows to eat grass, and to receive some supplements during the winter when the grass isn't growing so quickly.

Some (most? I have no idea on the percentages, really) dairy farms are pretty much feedlot operations - even if the cows have the opportunity to graze, most of their nutrition is coming from grains, etc. Grass-fed beef is supposed to be healthier than feedlot, I assume that goes for dairy products, too.

I believe a lot of the specialty butters also have a higher butterfat content and less water that mass-market ones. But I don't think I have the issue of "Cook's Illustrated" that discusses them any more.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the principle of "you are what you eat eats" formulated by Michael Pollan recently, testing has shown that grass-fed dairy products are higher in omega-3 fatty acids and beta-carotine than feed-lot cows produce. You can see it (as with real free-range eggs) in the color of the butter (yellower) Cows aren't evolved to eat grain, and cows who eat grain as a primary nutrition source are both lower in good things for humans than cows eating the diet they are supposed to eat. I know that grass-fed beef tastes better, I shouldn't be surprised that grass-fed milk and butter is better, too (and that's all I buy now).

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
I believe a lot of the specialty butters also have a higher butterfat content and less water that mass-market ones. But I don't think I have the issue of "Cook's Illustrated" that discusses them any more.

Yes, and you have to take that into account when you cook with them -- doughs tend to be a little stiffer.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made one of those Happy Accidents for dinner tonight.

I'd intended to do grilled sausages with aubergine, but it was unusuable, so instead I invented...

Middle Eastern Sausage, Bean and Root Vegetable Casserole.

Saute garlic, onion, carrot and diced swede, put in pot. Twist the sausages in half and saute. Add to the vegetables with a tin of haricot beans and enough vegetable stock. Add a half tsp (at least) of Baharat*. Oven cook or simmer until the vegetables are done. Add pasta shapes and cook until they are done. Season to taste with black pepper, lemon juice - and fresh chopped parsley if you have any.

Depending on whether you want it more soupy or goopy, boil hard to reduce the liquid.

*mix of paprika, coriander, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, cloves, nutmeg, cardamon.

What particularly impressed me about this was the sympathy between the haricots, the sweetish root veg and the 'warm' spices to produce this light, savoury, slightly peppery, velvety complement to the pork saussies. Definitely one to try again.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another happy accident. We were buying furniture yesterday and got back too late to roast potatoes. However, the meat was done. This gives rise to a "traditional" (i.e. made up yesterday) British dish which owes something conceptually to Peking Duck.

Put the oven on full. Take a shoulder of lamb, a head of garlic and lots of rosemary. Put half the garlic and rosemary on a roasting dish, put the lamb shoulder on top, score the fat with a knife and rub olive oil in. Put the rest of the rosemary and garlic on top. Cover the tin with foil, turn down the oven and roast for four or five hours at 170C or gas mark 3. This bit's nicked from Jamie Oliver.

Now my bit. Get a pack of Staffordshire Oatcakes (enough for two each) and heat them according to the instructions in the oven. Take the lamb out whilst this is happening and pour off most of the fat, then add some flour, wine and stock to make a gravy. Make it thick and gloopy and scrape all the gooey stuff off the tin into it.

Make up a green salad and some mint sauce.

Take a pair of forks and shred the lamb. It will come straight off the bone and all the fat has rendered off, so it's actually tender and lean, not at all like a conventionally roasted shoulder which is a bugger to carve. Serve with the oatcakes, gravy sauce, mint sauce and salad. To eat, put everything inside an oatcake, roll it up and open wide.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
I used organic butter from grass-fed cows. I knew that grass-fed butter was better, but I had no idea what a difference really great butter makes.

That's what the ones you see out in the fields eat. I don't know what proportion of their diet is grazing.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Get a pack of Staffordshire Oatcakes [snip]To eat, put everything inside an oatcake, roll it up and open wide.

Sorry, I am just visualising this with a Scottish oatcake (which is about as rollable as a brick).
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Staffordshire oatcakes more or less pancakes with some oats in. Mostly made of wheat. They are basically English chapatis. You can easily roll them up.

Real Scottish oatcakes are made of oats and, er, well that's about it. A little water and some salt. Roughly what you would get if you put burned porridge in a die-stamping machine. They are beautiful and lovely and healthy and wonderful and delicious and about as easy to fold as a roof-tile. Which they resemble in more ways than one.

--------------------
Ken

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of Real Scottish Oatcakes, anyone have a recipe? I searched online and all the ones I found involved brown sugar and cream and things I'm certain are not correct.

It's one of the things I miss about the UK - availability of Oatcakes (which everyone else in my family seemed to hate).

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Hardboard tastes much the same.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's what the ones you see out in the fields eat. I don't know what proportion of their diet is grazing.
Its actually rather complicated. "Grass-fed" has a specific meaning in the USA which is different from here.

Also plenty of cattle graze outside but eat from feeding troughs. And others are kept inside (almost all are in northern Europe in the winter) but fed on hay or silage made from grass. Which may or may not come from the local farm.

As far as I remember the normal US system is for dairy cattle to be fed almost entirely on commercial ration systems, with very precise mixes of different nutrients. The ration system and the breed of cow go together - cattle are bred to eat specific kinds of food, food is blended to meet the specific requirements of different kinds of cattle to maximise milk production.

Beef cattle (which in the US are entirely different breeds) are kept outside most of their life but finished off on corn (i.e. maize) diets. There is apparently some controversy about that finsihing-off period - there is some evidence that beef cattle finished on grass have lower amounts of some bacteria in them which might be thought healthier. Also the flesh tends to be darker and some people say it tastes "gamier".

In Britain and Ireland the tradition has been a mixed system - cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef. Dairy cattle are mostly fed indoors, beef cattle are more often grazed. Feed is bought in but we also use more silage than the Americans.

Tropical South America and Australia finish beef cattle like in the USA, but temperate South America and New Zealand mostly feed on grass.

That's one reason tastes differ - British consumers got used to Argentinian and Uraguayan beef, which is much more likely to be from animals that fed on grass. North Americans are used to corn-fed animals. These days both probably get fed mostly on commercial ration mixtures, but the Americans mix their food to imitate the taste of corn-fed beef because taht's what they like. Other way round here.

We eat a lot less beef than the Americans do. A lot less than the Germans or French for that matter. And most of what we do eat is imported.
Our cattle-raising tends to be dairy, not beef. And we import lots of butter and cheese as well. The most common cattle feed here is probably still grass silage. I bet there are some government stats online somewhere...

--------------------
Ken

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken, West Country cows and beef cattle are grass fed outside for the most part. They only get concentrate and silage inside at this time of year when they would plough any field they were put into. And one of the neighbouring farmers in Dorset, whose tenancy did not allow ploughing fields, put his cows into the field in January to do just that. You may occasionally find young steers outside at this time of year.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
In Britain and Ireland the tradition has been a mixed system - cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef.

Dairy cattle are not normally used for beef nowadays, although older and less productive cows used to go for cheap mince, or to the ready-meal industry for pies etc before BSE stopped cow meat above a certain age entering the food chain.
Currently most 'dairy' bull-calves are shot at birth. that is why there is a movement to increase the public interest in eating 'pink' veal - at least the animals get a few months of life.
(I listen regularly to "Farming Today" on BBC Radio4 and the subject has been discussed at length recently)
There are a few breeds of cattle that can be used for dairy and beef, but most herds are either one or the other.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Tabby Cat
Shipmate
# 4561

- Posted      Profile for Tabby Cat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's my recipe for chocolate flapjacks. I've adapted it slightly from one in "Green and Black's Chocolate Recipes".

250g butter (yes, a whole pack. The original had even more)
3tbsp golden syrup
175g granulated sugar
175g muscovado sugar
450g rolled/porridge oats
6tbsp cocoa powder
nuts/seeds/other additions

Preheat oven to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 2 and butter a large baking tray.

Melt the butter with the sugar and syrup. Mix in the oats and cocoa. Add some nuts/seeds/dried fruit if you like - I've tried it with sesame seeds and with chopped brazil nuts and they've both worked well.

Press the mixture into the baking tray and put in the oven for about 20 minutes. Leave to cool for a bit, cut into pieces, leave to cool completely, enjoy.

Posts: 1063 | From: Paddling at the edge of the sea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I suppose there's just time to make that and get it eaten before the start of Lent [Eek!]

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Beef cattle (which in the US are entirely different breeds) are kept outside most of their life but finished off on corn (i.e. maize) diets. There is apparently some controversy about that finsihing-off period - there is some evidence that beef cattle finished on grass have lower amounts of some bacteria in them which might be thought healthier. Also the flesh tends to be darker and some people say it tastes "gamier".

It doesn't taste "gamier", in my experience. It does taste a little richer and "cleaner" to me -- when I eat ordinary meat now (a rarity), I now can taste that it's a little "off" - a faint chemical taste, maybe? I don't know.

The deal is, cattle who eat grass for their lives (as most do) and then are fattened up on maize while living in pretty tight conditions for their last few months tend to get sick, both because they're eating a diet not suited to them and living in conditions too close for safety. As a consequence, they are typically fed large quantities of antibiotics to prevent sickness, but even then there are illness breakouts on a regular basis. Also, animals who eat grass have meat that is of higher nutritional quality for those who eat it on a number of levels (won't bore you with the details, but it's pretty stark).

I just don't buy mass-market meat anymore. There's nothing good about Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs), for the environment, for our health, or for the cattle. It's a lose-lose. The only thing you get out of it is cheap poor quality meat. Like cheap gas, Americans who care about healthful meat are going to have to get over their attachment to unreasonably cheap meat.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have had beef raised on grass in the summer and hay/feed in the winter. I completely agree with Laura on the taste comparison with supermarket beef.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I just don't buy mass-market meat anymore. There's nothing good about Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs), for the environment, for our health, or for the cattle. It's a lose-lose. The only thing you get out of it is cheap poor quality meat. Like cheap gas, Americans who care about healthful meat are going to have to get over their attachment to unreasonably cheap meat.

I buy my beef at Trader Joe's, not the supermarket and stick to steaks - once or thrice a month. I would be happy to have petrol at £2 or $4 a gallon - I would take the train most of the way to work when I go downtown. I may buy a hybrid for my next car, but certainly not a Mustang V8.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Does anyone have a recipe for Cornish pasties they like? I made them last week and was generally pleased with the results, but I'd like a little more "sauce" -- I know it's a fine line, you don't want a drippy pasty, but it seemed a little dry.

I used: ground beef, turnip, potato, carrot, parsnip and seasoned it with Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Used a basic pastry crust dough for the wrappers. (I know the carrot isn't canonical).

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

That's how they're meant to be, Laura. Dry. If you want gravy, you pour it over the pasty.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
In Britain and Ireland the tradition has been a mixed system - cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef.

Dairy cattle are not normally used for beef nowadays
Yes, that's why I put it in the past tense...

And also why lacto-vegetarianism still kills animals. If there is milk in your fridge there is blood on your hands.

--------------------
Ken

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken, I'm confused. How can you say it's past tense when what you wrote was
quote:
cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef
or is this subtle irony that I'm not getting? [Confused]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Ken, I'm confused. How can you say it's past tense when what you wrote was
quote:
cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef
or is this subtle irony that I'm not getting? [Confused]
I wonder whether Ken is using the present perfect "has been used" - but that implies that they sre still being used up till this point. "Had been used" would be the past... Or is this English teacher getting confused too...?! Perfectly possible!!! [Biased]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Read all of what Ken said, o grammarians, not just a couple of words (which might on other boards be called proof texting -- done it myself many times).

He said "cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef" "has been" the practice. "Has been" is not a present tense, it is a continuing tense: something has been happening for some time and may or may not still be going on.

He then went on to say that the practice which "has been" in use, is not being used any longer.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Read all of what Ken said, o grammarians, not just a couple of words (which might on other boards be called proof texting -- done it myself many times).

He said "cows are used for milk, bullocks for beef" "has been" the practice. "Has been" is not a present tense, it is a continuing tense: something has been happening for some time and may or may not still be going on.

He then went on to say that the practice which "has been" in use, is not being used any longer.

John

Where did he say that last bit then? I've just reread his post and I don't see it.

Not that this really matters of course, but for once I feel better informed than Ken (never normally happens, so I'm going to milk it for all its worth, 'scuse the pun) as like RoseofSharon I listen to Farming Today!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahem. Can we please put the grammar issue to rest and return to the recipes? Many thanks.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
Speaking of Real Scottish Oatcakes, anyone have a recipe? I searched online and all the ones I found involved brown sugar and cream and things I'm certain are not correct.

It's one of the things I miss about the UK - availability of Oatcakes (which everyone else in my family seemed to hate).

Izzybee, here's two to try.

This one is very crumbly but more authentic and is Josceline Dimbleby's out of The Almost Vegetarian Cookbook Preheat oven to 190 c/375 f /Gas Mark 5 and mix 125g medium oatmeal (I can't get it here so I have to blend rolled oats) with 1/2 teaspn salt and a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. Melt 15g (1/2 oz) butter with 4 tablespoons hot water and bring to boil. Pour the liquid into the oat mixture. Sprinkle a baking sheet with oatmeal and press the dough into a rough 20cm (8 inch)circle and score through it into 'pie' slices. Bake for 20-25 mins.

The other is my Aunt Noela's. I suspect her Scottish grandmother is turning in her grave over this, but it isn't as crumbly and is great with cheese:

Preheat oven to 180 c/ 350 f. Cream 4 oz butter with 1/4 cup sugar. Add 1 egg and mix in with 1 1/2 cups oat bran and add up to 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour to a consistency you can roll out. Cut into rounds and bake until light brown.

Good luck!

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

Sorry for the double post

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Ahem. Can we please put the grammar issue to rest and return to the recipes? Many thanks.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

But Mamacita, a "has been" is what happens when you drop one on the floor when one is stringing them (just like an esca-pea)

[Yipee]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
Speaking of Real Scottish Oatcakes, anyone have a recipe?

I saw these made on TV for a Burns night supper. they were thicker than the ones you buy, but it's up to you how thick you slice the dough.

Oatkcakes

120g fine oatmeal
100g plain flour
pinch of salt
pinch of baking powder
50g of lard
cold water to bind

- In a bowl add the oatmeal, flour, salt and baking powder
- Add the lard and mix in as breadcrumbs. Add the water to bind and and mix together
- Roll into a log shape and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- Cut into slices and cook on a non stick baking tray for 10 minutes until golden brown at 180oC.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regarding pasties, I mostly agree with ken. In my mind they should be "dry", but not dry - a little bit of juice may leak and brown on/into the crust during baking (num num), and the filling should be moist, but no interior sauce.

That said, I grew up with the variant known as "Finnish Pasties" - Finns in Michigan's copper country adopted the pasty from Cornish miners, and made it their own. My family has always eaten pasties with tomato ketchup, I was a little wierded out the first time I saw pasties served with gravy, in college (Michigan Tech, originally Michigan College of Mines, in the copper country). Another variant I discovered a year or so ago (from a little hole-in-the wall restaurant with pasties to die for) is to serve pasties with butter/margarine. Since I don't like ketchup, I've adopted it.

I make my pasties with coarsely-ground beef, browned, with onions. Boiled potatoes and carrots, and rutabaga if I can find it. Season with salt & pepper. Do all the things you're not supposed to with a crust recipe, so that it comes out fairly tough (because we like the crust that way, and so that leftovers can be taken for lunch without disintegrating). Now, some friends of ours assemble with the meat raw. Not sure about the spuds, etc. They're also very good.

I need to make pasties again...

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
That's how they're meant to be, Laura. Dry. If you want gravy, you pour it over the pasty.

Thanks -- good to know I did it right. [Big Grin] I'm making them again tonight, and I'm using the same recipe but I added a little sherry and a little bit of broth to make it the teensiest bit juicer. Like I said, I like the flavor, I just wanted a tiny bit more moisture. And since it's mine and I'm not a Cornish miner, I can do that. Well, until the pasty police turn up.
[Help]

Allrecipes.com (where I am a member and regular offender) has all kinds of pasty recipes including several takes on the Michigander/Yooper version. And this gives me an excuse to explain one of my favorite regionalisms. I have a friend from Michigan who explained to me about how folks from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or "U.P." are "Yoopers", and the Yoopers refer to people from the "mitten" part of the state to the south as "trolls" ... they live "under" the bridge ,you see -- the Mackinac Straits bridge that connects the U.P. with the rest of the state.

[ 04. February 2008, 23:39: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I learnt to make pasties with cut up stewing beef (raw), cubed potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, and salt/pepper. And yes, we always put butter or margarine on the outside when we ate them. Yum.

Don't know who started it, though. My mother's from Michigan, and her mother from Iowa.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

....and that did the trick. They were moister and tastier. Yum! Thanks for the suggestions.

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a quick question - does "num num" mean the same as "yum yum" or "yummy"? Its the second time I've seen it on the boards and its not something I'm familiar with... (first time I saw it I assumed it was a typo!)

PS - Google was not my friend.

[ 05. February 2008, 13:01: Message edited by: Emma. ]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016