homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 35)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Laura: Yep, I'm a troll, although both my father and Mr. Otter are Yoopers. We'd be back to da UP ASAP if we could find jobs.

Emma: Yes, "num num" is the same as yum yum. I think it comes from "nummy" but I am not an etymologist. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Num num" is onamatopoetic -- the mumbling sound you make when appreciating good food.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not Lent yet for us Orthodox types, so I've got a couple of super-easy recipes for ribs.

Super-easy pork spare ribs
The Day Before
Cut the ribs in to serving-sized pieces.
Wrap the ribs in a double layer of aluminum foil. (You can have several pieces of ribs in the packet, but don't stack them up on each other.)
Bake at 350F for an hour and a half.

Remove the ribs from the oven.
Pour a cup or so of barbecue sauce into the bottom of a glass baking dish.
Unwrap the ribs, and put them in a single layer in the baking dish. Pour more barbecue sauce over the top.
Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

The Next Day
Spray a broiler pan generously with Pam.
Move the ribs from the baking dish in which they've been marinating to the broiler pan.
Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, until they're hot all the way through.

Super easy beef short ribs
Cut the ribs into serving sized pieces.
In a heavy skillet, brown the pieces of ribs on all sides.
Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Move ribs to a baking dish (I use a deep cast iron skillet).
Add enough red wine to the skillet that the ribs are about half covered.
Cover the baking dish tightly.
Bake at 325F for two hours.

Remove ribs to a serving dish. Separate the grease from the wine and juices left in the pan. Discard the grease. Make a gravy from what's left.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're missing Memphis, aren't you Josephine? [Biased]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Always!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, a question for cooks on the other side of the pond.

Last night I cooked Sloppy Joes from this recipe.

I wanted something quick and easy to cook, had a pound of minced beef handy, and remembered reading about Sloppy Joes ages ago on this thread (I think). They are not well-known over here.

I followed the recipe except for adding the sugar, as ketchup is already very sweet - 25% sugar by weight, according to the small print on the bottle. The finished result was very palatable, but definitely sweeter than main courses we normally eat here.

Is American ketchup less sweet than ours, so that the sugar is necssary, or are Sloppy Joes really very sweet? I will make them again, but will substitute half tomato puree (paste) for ketchup, to get a less sweet flavour.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

I make sloppy joes, but I've never put sugar in them.

My recipe:
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped
bottled barbecue sauce

Brown and drain the ground beef, set aside.
Saute the vegetables in a bit of oil until they're soft and the onion is beginning to brown. Toss the beef back in the pan.

Add bottled barbecue sauce to get the amount of liquid you like. (Some people like them barely moistened. Some like then really, really sloppy.) Add a bit of salt if needed.

There's sugar in the barbecue sauce, like there is in the ketchup. I have never seen any reason to add any extra. You want the flavor to be a bit sharp (which is why there's prepared mustard in that recipe, I presume), and ever-so-slightly sweet. The recipe you linked to would be, I think, not quite sharp enough, and much too sweet.

ETA: How much salt and pepper did you add? It might be that a heavier hand with the black pepper would overcome some of the sweetness.

[ 09. February 2008, 13:02: Message edited by: Josephine ]

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to use tinned sauces that claimed to be made specifically for Sloppy Joes, but they too seemed a bit too sweet for me, so I changed to a commercially-made spaghetti sauce that contained a basic marinara with onions, garlic, peppers, olives and mushrooms. To perk it up just a bit, I added a drop of tabasco sauce and a splat of Worcestershire sauce.

No sugar or barbecue sauce, though. My Sloppy Joes had more of a pizza like taste, but without the cheese. I also used very lean hamburger, which ordinarily doesn't have as good a taste as the regular hamburger which is 15 % fat, but with the spaghetti sauce, one didn't notice the lack of beef fat.

M

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's what looks like a delicious recipe for home-made vegetarian catsup, which calls for very little sweetener (only 1/4 tsp. for 3 cups of product) Home Made Catsup with Tomato Paste

Do they still have "Mushroom Catsup" in Britain?

Mary

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
I also used very lean hamburger, which ordinarily doesn't have as good a taste as the regular hamburger which is 15 % fat, but with the spaghetti sauce, one didn't notice the lack of beef fat.

If you get a chance, you might try hamburger from locally grown, grass fed cows.

The hamburger we get at our local farm is so lean that you actually have to add a bit of oil to the pan when you brown it, and you end up with no oil to drain off. I thought, the first time I used it, that it wouldn't have any flavor at all.

Boy, was I wrong! It's the best hamburger meat I've ever had. Much better than anything I've ever gotten at the grocery store.

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Do they still have "Mushroom Catsup" in Britain?

Yes - I'm looking at a bottle of it right now.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for your assistance! I will try barbecue sauce (I had none handy last night). I would add mushrooms, but the boys aren't keen, and it irritates me to see them pick them out!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
If you get a chance, you might try hamburger from locally grown, grass fed cows...<snip>...It's the best hamburger meat I've ever had. Much better than anything I've ever gotten at the grocery store.

Happy cows - that's the ticket! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've inherited a wonderful 'Pudding Book' from my grandmother ... ('One Thousand and Seventy Recipes for Puddings Plain and Rich, Baked and Boiled: Pastry Dishes Large and Small: Fritters, Pancakes, Fruit Dishes, Custards, Creams, Junkets, Jellies, and Sweet Dishes of Every Kind!!!!!!') [Yipee]

I want to cook a Cumberland Pudding, but one of the ingredients is '4 ounces of citron'. I've never heard of it! I've looked citron up on Wiki, but I've never seen the thing on sale in this country. It seems to be rather different from orange or lemon. Will an orange do, or can anyone suggest an alternative? What does your Cumberland Pudding recipe say?

Thanks,
Cottontail xxx

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How is it used?

The best substitute could either be lemon or candied peel depending on context.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone asks more or less the same question here - might the suggestions given help you?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for those suggestions. [Smile]

The recipe goes:
Take 6 ounces of peeled and cored apples, 6 ounces of suet, and 4 ounces of citron; put them all together through a mincer. Add 6 ounces of cleaned currants, six ounces of sugar, six ounces of stale breadcrumbs, and one tsp salt. Mix thoroughly; stir in six beaten yolks, and the juice and grated rind of 1 orange. Lastly, add 6 egg shites, whisked stiff. Steam for 4-6 hours in a buttered mould holding 4 lbs (or in 2 smaller ones)

I think it must mean citron peel (thanks for the link, daisydaisy), as I can't imagine the fresh fruit being very common in the UK when the book was given to my grandmother in 1923. I rather like the link's suggestion of using golden raisins instead, though it already has a whole load of currants! And I think an extra squeeze of lemon juice as well wouldn't go amiss.

I'll let you know how I get on ...

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it can be taken to be candied peel if so then if you really want to you can make your own however you might find some more accurate American equivalent.

Nothing I know of really has that sweet, sharp taste though maybe glace pineapple might do at a pinch.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I popped in to say thank you to Jengie, and just noticed the terribly unheavenly typo in my last post. It is language that I never never use! I grovel in apology.
[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

Excuse me while I go and write out 'Preview Post Is My Friend' at least 100 times.

--------------------

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am crying with laughter at that typo [Killing me] (sorry, cottontail) but the recipe sounds wonderful - will try it.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Hey, I'm glad I made your day! [Big Grin]

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Citron peel is commonly found around here in health and bulk food shops in the run up to Christmas. Along with the candied orange and lemon peel and all the rest of it.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] I found some, I found some [Yipee] in this selection
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I am so impressed! My thanks to all.

I made the recipe anyway, substituting sultanas and adding an extra squeeze of lemon juice. And it was fab - much lighter than you might expect from a suet pudding. The apple wasn't too prominent ... it kind of melted into the pudding.

I halved the quantities, and it still fed 4 people with ample portions. I also cut the sugar by 1/3 as I was using eating apples, and it was fine. Serve with custard, of course!

Proper citron next time!

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to make pickled onions on a fairly regular basis. I stopped about two years ago when I found the onions in three large jars to be soft. One can imagine how furious I was.

Are there any pickled onion enthusiasts willing to share tips? My guess is that I hadn't sterilised the jars properly, but I have broken many jars doing so, and I am a bit unwilling to use a chemical steriliser instead.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

How are you sterilizing your jars?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you process the canning jar full of onions in a boiling water bath after you have put them in the jar, you don't have to sterilize the jar.

Of course, the jar has to be clean and it should be hot to prevent it cracking when you put the hot onions in it.

I used to keep the canning jars hot by leaving them in the dishwasher on the 'heated dry' setting.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cottontail: Alternatively heating them in the oven, or boiling them.

Moo: do you mean that I should boil the onions in the pickling mixture?

--------------------
M Barnier

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The normal way of canning anything in the US is to heat it to the boiling point, put it in hot jars, put the lids on, and process it. If the food is sufficiently acid, you can process it in a boiling water bath.

You put the sealed jars on a rack in a very tall pot of boiling water. The boiling water has to come at least two inches above the tops of the jars. This drives the air out of the jars. You process them for a certain length of time, most commonly ten minutes, remove them from the boiling water, and let them cool.

Here is a website that describes the process.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Thanks very much indeed.

--------------------
M Barnier

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rescuing this thread from Page 3!

Does anyone have a recipe for peanut butter cookies that does not use lard? But does use natural peanut butter?

I'd be using Equal™ with a little jaggery to substitute for brown sugar.

Many thanks.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cranks* recipe for Peanut rounds

Butter or margarine 4oz (100g)
Raw brown sugar 4ox (100g)
Free-range egg 1
Peanut butter 3oz (75g)
Peanuts, roughly chopped 3oz (75g)
100% wholemeal flour 3oz (75g)
Baking powder 1/2 tsp (2.5ml)
Flaked wheat 5oz (150g)

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy,. Beat in teh egg, then add the remaining ingredients and work the mixture together to give a manageable dough. Roll out fairly thinly on a lightly floured surface and stamp out 3" (7.5cm) rounds with a fluted cutter. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake in the oven at 190ºC (375ºF/Mark 5) for about 15 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire tray. Store in an airtight tin.
Makes about 25 biscuits

* Vegetarian wholefood restaurant chain

If I've made these I cheated and used more flour or porridge oats to replace the flaked wheat.

Alternatively I have a recipe for a peanut butter cake/bread which I have definitely made.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure this is a question I ought to know the answer to, but tant pis...

I bought a boned shoulder of lamb (to cook with rosemary, honey & cider - yum!) from the butchers. He also gave me the bones. What should I do with them? Boil them for gravy? Soup? I don't know... Can you suggest anything?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, you can boil them - skim the scum that rises to the surface. You can put some aromatics in with them - onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns. Simmer for an hour or so, then strain off the stock and freeze it for when you next want to make soup or a lamb casserole.

It does make a surprising difference to flavour. I made a very memorable soup once by doing the above procedure (albeit with beef), then re-heating, seasoning and poaching shreds of venison in it. mmmmmmmmmmm.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thirty-five pages is long enough. New recipes can be posted on "The Recipe Thread: Another Helping" in Heaven.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016