homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vegetable stir fry?

John

[damned page change - J]

[ 09. May 2006, 15:07: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:

Does anybody have any inspiration for what to do with some (probably) past-its-best asparagus, big field mushrooms, leeks, carrots and onions? I don't have time to buy meat and I need inspiration for this evening's meal!

Throw them in the garbage and order in a pizza.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Does anybody have any inspiration for what to do with some (probably) past-its-best asparagus, big field mushrooms, leeks, carrots and onions? I don't have time to buy meat and I need inspiration for this evening's meal!

1 baking sheet, lined fully with aluminum foil
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1 t powdered chicken boullion
Balsamic vinegar
2 T butter
1 c white wine
OPTIONAL: Crumbled bleu or feta cheese
OPTIONAL: Cooked bacon pieces, large diced

a) Oil foil on baking sheet thoroughly. Dust with kosher salt and pepper.

b) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

1. Wash carrots. Peel them if they're thicker than about an inch at their widest. Slice them on the diagonal into 1/4" "coins."

In a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat, combine the carrots, butter, boullion, kosher salt to taste and wine. Cover and bring to a simmer, then stir, reducing heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes uncovered. Remove from heat and put carrots and up to 4 T of remaining liquid in baking sheet. Reserve any extra liquid for another use.

2. Line up your asparagus in a pile, tips all facing the same direction. Hold the tips in one hand, the butt ends of the stalks in other hand. Bend them in half until they snap. Discard butt ends. Toss tips into baking sheet.

3. Using a soft brush or cloth, lightly wipe any dirt or dust from the mushroom. (Do NOT rinse them! They'll sog.) If they're portobellos, use a spoon to scrape off the purplish-black gills under the cap. Discard gills. Slice the mushrooms into steaks. Put in baking sheet.

If you have a gas stove:

4a. Trim both ends off each onion, then place onion in center of stove burner ring and set flame to low. Onion's paper layer will burn off. Gently sear both ends of the onion for 4-5 minutes each, rotating as necessary. Remove from heat and cut off burned bits. Proceed to Step 4c.

If you don't have a gas stove:

4b. Trim both ends off each onion and peel, discarding any filmy or paper layers.

4c. Quarter each onion and then halve each quarter horizontally. Break the layers apart and scatter them on baking sheet.

5. Trim rootball and 1/4" of stalk tips from leeks. Cut each leek in half lengthwise and *swish thoroughly* in water-filled sink or large tub to remove all dirt and sand found outside and between layers. Inspect each stalk closely-- there's always more dirt in there. Remove from water, pat dry, and cut stalks diagonally into 1/2" pieces. Add to baking sheet.

6. Drizzle all veg with kosher salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Roast veg until some charring occurs, leeks and asparagus are tender. Should be around 15 minutes, but oven temps vary, so keep an eye on yours. If desired, sprinkle cheese and/or bacon on veg for the last few minutes of cooking.

Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Serve with a crisp white wine.

[ 09. May 2006, 16:00: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New job/workplace dilemna.

We can forget the canteen - overpriced and revolting. Immediate area - a garage shop selling (expensive) sandwiches, doughnuts, crisps etc.

Bringing own is indicated - but office gets strong morning sunshine, so any lunch will spend 3/4 hours at room temperature. Eat at desk, so things should not be too messy/runny/crumby.

I have minimal time in the morning (and I'm not good at planning the night before).

So far, I have managed slices of cheese and cherry tomatoes, plus range of crackers. OK, but a bit too much dairy/wheat - and I can't have that every day.

So any ideas for instant packed lunches?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make lunches everyday- empoverished eternal studenthood dictates that I must...

Many of the things that I have are leftovers ate cold the next day. I am a particular fan of cold cottage pie/lasagne/tomato pasta.

In addition there are the full complement of salads, yes, I know there is prep involved but if you make them at the same time as your evening meal and refrigerate overnight it's less of a chore.

Current favourites include chicken breast chopped, a small orange, some cherry tomatoes, some sultanas and spinach with some vinagrette dressing.

There are also variations which include pasta/rice like about 70g brown rice, sweetcorn, spring onions, tomatoes, small can of tuna.

You can also bulk these up with staples such as lettuce, cucumber, peppers, celery or cheese as required or remove the meat if you are veggie.

Other ideas for salad dressing include tablespoon of lowfat natural yogurt mixed with hot chilli sauce/ dijon mustard and lemon juice/ any of the nice store bought stuff.

In addition to these there are always handmade sandwiches, or wraps made from tortillas are always pretty posh, but cheap to make, and not time consuming.

In the stay away from department there is also cupasoup.

For keeping cold buy one of those small coolbags with the freezer packs and pop a lunchbox in there. There are also lunchboxes that have integrated freezy things but IMO these have never worked for me. Always buy two of whatever cold solution you are adopting, they are generally pretty cheap anyway so that there is always a freezer pack in the freezer.

I also prefer to do it the night before so I can maximise sleep time in the morning, but it is up to you. As an incentive to make it, you could always remind yourself of how grotesque the canteen is.

Hope this essay is of some help.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
for easy instant lunches how about:

Pumpernickel with hummous + any cucumber, tomatoes etc you feel like. Packets of pumpernickel (or other dark, grainy rye bread) keep well in office drawers and make a change from wheat

Tuna and 3 Bean Salad - comes ready prepared in a tin, can't remember the brand - I'm not usually a fan of these ready made tuna filling things as I think they're a bit of a rip off but I'm addicted to this one and tins keep well in office drawers

Tins of soup (assuming you have a microwave available)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
For our Paschal breakfast, everyone brings baskets of goodies that are placed on the church porch and blessed at the end of the service. Then we carry the baskets over to the parish hall, where we share a pot-luck meal at about 3 in the morning. I always bring honey bunnies and cheese-and-sausage balls. (When I was cooking yesterday between services, my kids said the house smelled like Pascha!)

Honey Bunnies

4 1/2 - 5 c. flour
2 pkg. RapidRise yeast
1 tsp salt
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. butter*
2 eggs (room temperature)
Honey glaze (3/4 c. honey melted with 6 Tbsp butter)

* Butter in Washington is apparently saltier than butter in Tennessee. I had trouble with the dough failing to rise the first few times I made it out in this part of the world. You may want to use unsalted butter.

Combine 1 1/2 c. flour, yeast, and salt. Heat the evaporated milk, honey, and butter until the butter is melted and the mixture is very warm (between 120 and 130 degrees). Gradually add the warm liquid to the flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add the eggs and 1/2 c. flour. Beat another 2 minutes at high speed. With a spoon, stir in the rest of the flour. Put the dough in a greased bowl, oil the top of the dough. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 2 to 24 hours.

Divide the dough into 32 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 10-inch rope. From each rope, cut 3 pieces, 1/2" each, for the ears and tail. Coil the top of each rope down and to the left; the bottom up and to the right, to make the head and body. Shape the small pieces for the ears and tail, moisten one end slightly, and attach them to the head and body.

Place the bunnies on greased baking sheets. Cover. Let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Brush with honey glaze while still warm.

Cheese and Sausage Balls

1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 pound hot pork sausage
1 pound Bisquick baking mix

Mix the three ingredients with your hands until evenly distributed. Shape into small balls (about 1" in diameter, or just a bit larger). Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.

These can be shaped ahead of time and frozen, then popped into the oven shortly before time to serve them.

They're best still warm from the oven, but they're very sturdy and reheat well.

I am not following you with the sausage recipe, don't you have to add milk? or water? how much liquid? when do you add the cheese? how many cups of bisquick? Is the sausage bulk? How long in the oven? How many balls does this make?
Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hubby came home with a few pots of herbs from the garden centre.

Lemon thyme - I love this one and reularly use it with chicken (we already had a pot of this but it slipped his mind).

But the others:
Curry leaf - no idea what to do with it.

Pineapple Sage [Confused] what on earth do you do with pineapple sage - mind you it smells great.

So does anyone know what to do with these especially the pineapple sage?

Thanks

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about chopping the pineapple sage onto vanilla ice cream? Or mixing some leaves of it into a salad?

I've just bought a tagine tagine, on a whim, from a food and drink festival.

But, erm, what do I do with it? I know it's traditionally used to cook Moroccan dishes - lamb and chicken (and I don't like lamb [Razz] ) but has anyone got one and could recommend anything to cook in it.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Suzywoozy:
Curry leaf - no idea what to do with it.

...er, put it in curries.

(Sorry!)

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Sorry to double post but I thought I'd give a more helpful answer. I looked up curry leaf on one of my favourite Indian food blogs and she came up with the recipe below which sounds yummy.

Another Asian food blogger I read had this post just about curry leaves and a search will reveal a whole heap of recipes.

Kathirikkai sadham (curried brinjal/aubergine/eggplant rice)

Ingredients:

4 cups rice, cooked
2 cups sliced Japanese aubergines (cut them in half lengthwise, then slice into 1/2-cm thick half-moons)
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 fresh green chillies, cut into very thin rounds (optional)
1 tsp salt
4 tsp oil
2 medium onions, sliced thin
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 fresh curry leaves
1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
2 tsp fresh coriander leaves, for garnish

Method:

1. Sprinkle salt over the aubergines, then mix with the ginger-garlic paste. Place in a colander, and put something heavy on top (a large bowl of water is what I used), so that the bitter juices drain away.

2. In a pan, heat 2 tsp oil and pop the mustard seeds and green chillies if using. Add in the sliced aubergines and stir well.

3. Cook on medium high, stirring occasionally, until the aubergine is cooked and acquiring brownish spots. Ser aside.

4. In a large pan, heat the remaining oil. Add the curry leaves, cumin seeds, coriander powder and garam masala and fry for 30 seconds until the cumin seeds turn a darker shade of brown.

5. Add the sliced onions, mix well and cook on medium high, until they start to turn golden brown. (Add an extra tsp of oil if you wish.)

6. Put in the rice and stir well, keeping it on the heat until it is warmed through. Mix in the cooked aubergines and check for salt.

7. Serve hot with a side of chilled tomato or cucumber raita, pickle and papads.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curry leaves are a staple ingredient in South Indian food. They are put into the hot oil after the mustard seed but before most other ingredients. They sizzle and add a lovely flavour to the dishes. If they are young they can be left in and eaten with the food but if they are old and large you may wish to take them out - or leave them in and let people eat or not eat them as they choose.

If using dried curry leaves you need to use at least twice as many to get the same flavour.

Having fresh ones available is really useful, we have three or four bushes in the garden so we use them VERY fresh, minutes from garden to pan.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just tried out a new recipe that was absolutely lovely ... good for vegetarians, as well. Not good for people who don't like eggs, so if you don't like eggs, avert your eyes now! Just going to give a rough recipe as I don't think amounts matter too terribly.

Goat Cheese and Roasted Garlic Tart

1 savory pie shell (surely you've already got a recipe for this or can find one readily [Biased] )
10 cloves garlic (or more!)
250g goat cheese
275g whipping cream
3 eggs
thyme (I used dried, but I'm sure fresh would be lovely)
salt and pepper
2 sliced tomatoes (optional extra that I added)

Blind bake the pie shell. Boil the garlic in skins for 10 minutes and then roast with a bit of olive oil at 180C for about 20 minutes. Mash into a paste and spread over the bottom of the pie shell. Spread the goat cheese evenly over the garlic paste. Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, thyme, and salt and pepper, and pour into the shell. You can add the sliced tomatoes if you desire (if you don't, then serve them with greens to accompany the dish). Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until the mixture has set. Let sit for a couple of minutes (but don't cool completely) for ease of cutting. Enjoy!

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I discovered the following more by accident than design the other night:

Roast Chicken with Fennel and Lemon

Quarter one or more fennel bulbs and put in a roasting tin, dotted with butter. Add chicken. Put lemon quarters in cavity (if a whole bird) or if using pieces, tuck in among chicken and fennel. Roast. Pour off the juices into a saucepan and add creme fraiche.

It is all wonderfully melty and buttery with just enough tang from the fennel and lemon to stop it cloying.

tryingtobefriendly
Shipmate
# 11465

- Posted      Profile for tryingtobefriendly         Edit/delete post 
I need some help please. My mum and dad are coming to visit tomorrow from Bournemouth and they don't like processed/pre-prepared food so I've been to Asda and bought pork chops, new potatoes and frozen vegetables. I can cook the frozen vegetables and I think I'll manage the new potatoes ok (how much mint should I put in?) but I don't know how to cook the chops. I've looked up recipes on Google but they're all very complicated. Can anyone tell me, in simple English, how I cook them please? I can't multi-task so getting everything ready at the same time will also be a problem. I need timings otherwise it'll all go wrong. I've started writing a list of which things I'll cook first but I don't know about the pork chops. I never cook like this normally because I get so confused about it but I don't want to poison my parents! I've got new potatoes, vegetables and pork chops. How long in advance should I start to make sure they're all ready at the same time? How do I know if the chops are cooked or not? I know I should know this sort of thing but I don't so could anyone help me please? I'd be very grateful.
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't worry. It will be fine. I have been cooking all my life and still often find that things are finished at different times. So first things first: Are your new potatoes clean? If so, you can just rinse them. If not, you will need to scrub them. Then put them in a saucepan and just cover them with cold water. They will take somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes to cook after the water starts boiling, depending on their size. When they're done, a fork will go into them easily, but they won't fall apart. Then you can drain them, and they will stay hot in the saucepan for another fifteen minutes or so. They're good with melted butter and mint.

Pork chops can be sauteed (cooked in just a little fat in a frying pan), baked, or grilled. You are likely to find grilling them simplest. Put a piece of foil under the rack to catch drips (it makes cleaning easier), and then put the chops on the rack atop the grill pan. Sprinkle the chops with whatever seasoning you're using: pepper, paprika, mixed herbs, are all good, and then, ten minutes after the potatoes have started boiling, turn on the flame over the grill and put the grill pan (with chops) in. Pork really needs to be quite well done: trichinosis is rare nowadays, but people still find underdone pork revolting. I can't tell you exactly how long your chops will take because that depends on their thickness, but if they're about the thickness of the first joint of your thumb, grill them for about 7 minutes on each side. When you turn them, season the side that was underneath. If you're not sure whether they're done (they will be reasonably firm to the touch), make a discreet little cut into one side with a sharp knife. There should be no pinkness. Frozen veg takes about five minutes to do. Start it cooking after you've turned over your chops. At the same time, put your plates on the back of the cooker to warm a bit. You should, in this way, have the dinner done and hot all at the same time.
And if, for any reason, this doesn't work perfectly, don't worry. Your parents will still be pleased. All parents are when their child serves them a meal.

You could always go out and get a jar of applesauce to go with the chops. And ice-cream or something like that would make an easy pudding.

[ 03. June 2006, 12:10: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A couple of sprigs of fresh mint, chopped, should be enough for three people's new potatoes. If the mint is dried, allow about a dessert-spoonful.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It sounds as if the best recipe is one where the timing doesn't matter too much.

This one is very easy. You need, in addition to what you have, a tin of mushroom soup. You also need a frying pan, and an oven casserole with a lid.

Heat the oven to a moderate heat - about 5 if you have gas, or about 180 if you use electric.

In a frying pan, put a little oil and fry each chop for just a minute on each side, and then place it in the casserole. When they are all in the casserole, pour over the tin of soup. Put the lid on the casserole and put it in the heated oven for at least 45 minutes. But it doesn't matter if it is in for longer. 50 minutes, an hour - still ok.

If you don't like mushrooms, you can do exactly the same recipe, using apple juice instead. Or cider. Or white wine.

New potatoes should take about 15 minutes. After about 10 minutes, poke a knife into one or two of the biggest ones - when it goes in easily, then they're cooked.

tryingtobefriendly
Shipmate
# 11465

Thank you so much Amos. I'm very grateful. That was a great explanation. I've bought fresh mint. But now I can write down all the timings you said and things should be ready somewhere near together. I thought maybe pork was a bit like steak that it was ok if it was undercooked but from your comments I don't think that's right so I'll give it 7 minutes at least on each side. My mum will know how to cook it but I really wanted to prepare something for them without her having to help. I'll tell her that you told me how to do it, she knows I wouldn't know. In my life I just stay with things you can put in the microwave! But I want to cook this meal for them. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again.
tryingtobefriendly
Shipmate
# 11465

Thank you too Firenze. I think I'll just grill them because I don't have any mushroom soup or cider but I'll write your recipe down because it sounds nice.
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tryingtobefriendly:
Thank you too Firenze. I think I'll just grill them because I don't have any mushroom soup or cider but I'll write your recipe down because it sounds nice.

I'm a great fan of recipes like Firenze's, where timing isn't crucial. Apart from anything else, "chuck it in the oven and leave it" cookery generally leads to less washing up! [Biased]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made this last night, it's my "I have a cold starting, but I really don't have time to be ill" recipe. I think I took it from BBC Good Food magazine originally, but have adapted it slightly (fresh chilli instead of flakes, added garlic and onion).

Sausage Pea Pasta Thing

Serves 1

3oz dried pasta, such as penne
2 good quality pork sausages
1 onion, sliced into half moons
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1tbsp olive oil
2oz frozen peas
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
½ 200ml tub half-fat crème fraîche
Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn

Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Three minutes before pasta is ready, tip in the peas and cook with the pasta.

Fry the onion, garlic and chilli in the olive oil until softened.

Using a sharp knife, split open the sausages and squeeze out the meat. Add to the onion, garlic & chilli and fry until everything is golden.

Add the chilli and lemon zest to the sausages and cook for one minute. Stir in the mustard and crème fraîche and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Drain the pasta and peas and stir into the sausagemeat mixture. Season well, stir in the basil and serve.

--------------------
Website.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

You're very welcome, tryingtobefriendly! I really hope all goes well and that you have a lovely meal with your parents. I remember the first dinner I cooked for my parents, and the first one the Amosling made for me. On both occasions I was so pleased and proud.

One of my aspirations is to co-author a book about food and drink with Firenze. [Biased]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
One of my aspirations is to co-author a book about food and drink with Firenze. [Biased]

Ready when you are.

Didn't there used to be a Ship Recipe book online?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is but there has not been any recent additions. If you want to reactivate it I suggest you contact Babybear.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

I just bottled up some elderflower cordial. Yum.

I couldn't find the recipe I used last time I made it so I had a bit of a search on the internet. There was a huge variation of recipes ranging from 1 pint water to 4lbs sugar to 6 pints water with 2lbs sugar.

In the end I gave in and cobbled together the following. I don't think it's quite as good as I've made before so you may want to scout around and find your own recipe but I thought I'd share.

ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

First pick your elderflowers

*30-40 florets should do it. UK shipmates have probably got another week or so to do this. If you don't have elderflowers in your country then I'm guessing this isn't going to be a very useful recipe.

*Shake out any bugs and put in large jug

*Melt sugar in water (I used 3pts water to 2lbs sugar)

*Pour over elderflowers.

*Add a chopped up lemon (this really does make a difference - I made 2 batches, 1 with and 1 without, with was definitely better)

*Add 100g citric acid (you may have to ask for this at the chemists)

&Steep for a couple of days stirring occasionally. Strain and bottle.

(Bottles can be sterilized in a low oven. I just poured boiling water in mine)

Given the slightly random quantity of citric acid I used and the fact I'm not entirely confident of how well the boiling water trick will have sterilized the bottles if I give any away I'll recommend it gets used quite quickly. But I have kept it for over a year in the past.

--------------------

tryingtobefriendly
Shipmate
# 11465

Thank you Amos for all that help, the meal went very well and no-one died as a result! This makes me think that it must be possible for me to cook more regularly.

Before I moved here I had alot of support, including meals on wheels because I have so much difficulty with cooking and preparing food. But, here where I live now, I don't get any support, it's up to me to sort it out. This means that I eat alot of Tesco sandwiches (which are very good!) and baked potatoes etc. I'm not talking about fancy meals but about basic cooking, preparing food, freezing food etc.

Sometimes I buy fresh vegetables which look really nice but then I don't really have much idea how to prepare them and all the cook books you can buy assume you already know this and so I end up throwing them away. It's the same with meat, most of the cook books assume you know the basics and they don't explain them. Just very simple things like do you have to peel things or not, that sort of thing.

I'd like to eat proper meals but I don't because I honestly don't know where to start.

I like most things but I've never mastered how to cook them or how to prepare them. It's very hard to find that information anywhere because other people seem to just know it somehow.

This isn't really about recipes per se, it's more about how do you prepare different foods? I'm not sure if this is specific enough for this thread but any general advice about the preparation of normal food would be great. [Smile]

madteawoman
Shipmate
# 11174

- Posted      Profile for madteawoman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tryingtobefriendly, here in Australia we have a cook called Stephanie Alexander. She has written a great cookbook for people who have not done much cooking before. It lists many common (and not so common) foods in alphabetical order, then tells you how to choose them, how to prepare them, how to basically cook them, then she gives you a few recipes for that particular food. I love it because it tells me how to cook things I haven't cooked before, in a simple way. A book like that might be really helpful for you. This one is called The Cook's Companion, but there must be others like it around. My mum had an English one called the Good Housekeeping Cookery Book, but it would be 50 years old now.

I will be giving each of my daughters one of these books as a leaving present (if they ever do).

Posts: 1446 | From: by the fireside | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Delia Smith's 'How To Cook' series is a good basic course too.

If you don't want to bother peeling and chopping vegetables, you can buy trays of baby vegetables in supermarkets. (That means small vegetables, not vegetables for babies!)

Usually you get carrots, corn and mange tout (flat pea pods) in a plastic tray. You can just put those into some boiling water for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like them. I sometimes buy French beans as well - they are the tube-shaped ones, which you cook in the same way. You could also put some of these with your microwaved meal if you want.

I'm glad to hear the meal went well. It sounds lovely, and I'm sure your parents were thrilled.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying to be friendly,

If you buy your meat or veg from a butcher/greengrocer/fishmonger, ask them to advise you as to how to cook them. Any butcher worth their salt will be able to tell you how to cook a roast, at what temperature the oven needs to be, whether it has to be covered or not or any other question that you might think of. Ditto for anything from sausages to steaks. Striking up a relationship with your local shop can be very rewarding as well as benefitting your local community. In addition, they will get to know you and the things that you like.

The same goes for your greengrocer, ask them how they would recommend cooking any vegetable that you require. Take a notebook, write down their suggestions, and you have the beginnings of your own reference guide to cooking. Start with the more basic vegetables, and maybe once a month choose a different one.

Good luck, and with time you'll be creating a great adventure with food.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I started at uni I had a book called "How to Boil an Egg" - it really did start that simple - which tells people leaving home for the first time how to do all the things they've never had to worry about before!

Here it is on Amazon .

Recipe books aimed at students usually start from a similar level of assuming that you don't know how to cook anything, and don't have any saucepans etc either! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
tryingtobefriendly
Shipmate
# 11465

Thank you, I've just ordered that book on Amazon Karen, thank you for the tip. Catrine, I think you're probably right I should ask but it's a bit embarrassing when you have to ask questions which everyone else knows. I had some very useful pms in reply to this post and so thanks.
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope it helps! I do still use it to look up how long to boil an egg for. I can remember all sorts of stuff, but not that for some reason! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Teen Jesus
Shipmate
# 8477

- Posted      Profile for Teen Jesus   Author's homepage   Email Teen Jesus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have some "Christian Themed" recipes that are not only delicious, but historically/biblically instructional as well. They might spark some creativity you're looking for.

Two Layer Peter Crucified Upside-Down Cake
"When you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and take you where you do not want to go," said Jesus to Simon Peter in John 21:18. Tradition holds that Peter asked the Romans to crucify him upside so his death wouldn’t be equated with Jesus’. However, his executioners took it one step to far and made his cross spin, while attempting to throw knives at him.

Servings:
12 (change)

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup flaked coconut (Peter’s crazy request to be crucified upside down was greeted with bewildered looks from his executioners)
* 1 (8 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained with juice reserved
* 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (to signify Peter’s three cowardly replies when asked if he knew Jesus in the early morning hours of his teacher’s crucifixion. The Lion from the Wizard of Oz would have been prowd.)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter two 9 inch round cake pans. Sprinkle the bottom of each pan with 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

2. In one of the pans, sprinkle coconut over the brown sugar. Put the pineapple rings in a single layer on top of coconut. Then gently—gently— place a cherry in the center of each ring. In the other pan, spread the drained crushed pineapple.

3. Mix the cake as directed on package, but substitute reserved pineapple juice in place of water. Divide batter between the 2 pans. Remember which pan has the pineapple rings in it, because if you don’t, certain death will likely follow.

4. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. For added affect, pretend the toothpicks are the nails used to fasten Peter to the cross. Cool in pans for 20 minutes, until rigor mortis sets in.

5. While the bottoms of the cake pans are still warm to the touch, invert the layer with the crushed pineapple out onto a serving dish, then gently invert the layer with the pineapple rings on top of it for a dazzling divine, two layer Peter Crucified upside down cake.

--------------------
It's like "The Onion."
The Saint Nobody Journal.

Posts: 62 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by tryingtobefriendly:
Thank you Amos for all that help, the meal went very well and no-one died as a result! This makes me think that it must be possible for me to cook more regularly.

Before I moved here I had alot of support, including meals on wheels because I have so much difficulty with cooking and preparing food. But, here where I live now, I don't get any support, it's up to me to sort it out. This means that I eat alot of Tesco sandwiches (which are very good!) and baked potatoes etc. I'm not talking about fancy meals but about basic cooking, preparing food, freezing food etc.

Dear tryingtobefriendly, I've been wondering whether the dinner you cooked for your parents had turned out well, and praying and hoping that it did. It's wonderful that you now want to try your hand at more cooking.

Choosing, preparing, and cooking food are learned human activities. If you don't know them, you can learn them. There are lots of people who don't know how to cook, and lots of books are written for them. There are also videos, I believe, of famous cooks preparing things, but they usually work so fast and talk so much that they're not really useful except as entertainment. Plus, they always seem to have 'one they prepared earlier' to show you at the end, which always seems like cheating to me. I want to see how the one they threw together on the TV set turned out. Not well, I imagine.

Anyway, a number of good books have been mentioned here. They all have different virtues: some are good at describing foods (vegetables, for instance) and how to choose them. Others give good, clear descriptions of how to prepare different things: some will even have step-by-step diagrams. There used to be a category of good, basic household cookbooks that told you everything that you could possibly need to know. They still exist, and often the best ones are to be found in second-hand bookshops.

Good luck with your cooking! I hope you will come to enjoy it. We're always glad here to advise or help if we can.

P.S. Delia Smith is good.

--------------------

Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
[ There used to be a category of good, basic household cookbooks that told you everything that you could possibly need to know.

My mum has bought me two cookbooks in the past year. One is a moderately complicated (but amazing) Madhur Jaffrey one. Very up-to-the minute.

The other is Jane Grigson's Vegetables, which is decades old and absolutely brilliant. The recipes aren't necessarily amazing, as they were written in the days when meat and fat were the base of any dish (I'm vegetarian), but she goes into such depth about every vegetable under the sun: the history, the preparation, how to choose them, and multiple ways to cook them.

Tryingtobefriendly, all the other books mentioned here are great (and I'm forever teaching extremely good cooks how to boil eggs. I don't know why, but no-one I know seems to be able to remember it), so there's not really any need for another recommendation, but I thought I'd mention it in case you're like me when it comes to information: the more I know about something the easier I find it to remember the basics. If not, no matter.

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy to report that Sausage Pasta Pea Thing works very well!
Sometimes-picky-teenage-child demolished a bowl full and asked for seconds.

This does seem to be the time for elderflower recipes here in the UK .....but then what about the elderberries if I pick the flowers?

Anyone come across deep fried elderflowers?

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Matthew Fort mentioned elderflower fritters in his Grauniad column on Saturday - I can see if I can find it for you, if you like!

--------------------
Nea Fox

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

I imagine they'd be like zucchini blossom fritters to make.

Zucchini blossom fritters are heavenly.

--------------------

Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

- Posted      Profile for Mary Beth   Email Mary Beth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help!

I've been given two dozen shelled hard boiled eggs. I'd love to make deviled eggs, but my recipe is so-o-o boring. Just mix the yolk with French's mustard and mayonnaise.

Does anyone have any suggestions or favorite recipe for deviled eggs that I can wow the folks at church with this Sunday?

Thanks.

Mary Beth

--------------------
Give yourself fully to Jesus. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love, than in your weakness. Mother Teresa

Posts: 39 | From: Finger Lakes, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary Beth, I add some liquid from a jar of dill pickles to my devilled eggs. They are always well-received.

Here is the recipe.

DEVILLED EGGS

8 hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dill-pickle liquid
1 teaspoon mustard
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper

Cut eggs in half and remove yolks. Mash yolks and mix in all other ingredients. Stuff whites.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

- Posted      Profile for Mary Beth   Email Mary Beth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds yummy. Mine always needed a little tang. Thanks Moo.

Mary Beth

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another way to add a bit of tang to devilled eggs is to make them exactly the way you ordinarily do, but use plain yogurt instead of mayo. It's a subtle change, but good.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

I can't conceive of devilled eggs without cayenne pepper! [Devil]

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Happy to report that Sausage Pasta Pea Thing works very well!
Sometimes-picky-teenage-child demolished a bowl full and asked for seconds.

Oh good, I am pleased, especially as I've just spotted a typo in the recipe:

quote:
Add the chilli and lemon zest to the sausages and cook for one minute.
should read

quote:
Add the lemon zest to the sausages and cook for one minute.
I think it's a left-over from the original recipe, which used chilli flakes instead of fresh chilli.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Another way to add a bit of tang to devilled eggs is to...

...garnish them with a bit of inexpensive grocery store caviar.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had some amazing devilled eggs at a party once and it was only later that my then partner and I discovered the secret ingredient - the people who made them had been smoking a "herb" they'd bought and decided to crumble some into the filling.

[Yipee]

We slept very late the next day and woke up with the munchies.

[Biased]

It was a VERY GOOD party!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

There you go, Mary Beth!

--------------------

Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

Well, I'm about to head off to the supermarket. Wegman's has about everything. I doubt they have that special herb, however. I do know where in town I might acquire some. (By rumor, not experience. [Hot and Hormonal] ) I guess I'll substitute a sprig of parsley instead, even though it might not make for such mellow fellowship.

Being a researcher by nature and profession, I think I'll try a few eggs with each different recipe and observe the reaction of the lab rats, er, I mean my fellow parisheners. Don't worry. They've learned to procede with caution before sampling my previous offerings. They actually enjoyed my chocolate cupcakes before I revealed that they contained sauerkruat. Makes for a very moist cake. [Two face]

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Er, well, the "herb" one was food for thought, and a smile.

Mary Beth

--------------------
Give yourself fully to Jesus. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love, than in your weakness. Mother Teresa

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From Mary-Beth
quote:
They actually enjoyed my chocolate cupcakes before I revealed that they contained sauerkruat. Makes for a very moist cake.

I have a recipe for a cake made with mayonnaise - when you tell people the reaction is usually "Uurgh!" - but it's only oil & eggs, after all,so I don't know what the problem is.

But sauerkraut...? Uuurgh!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016