homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Hmm, maybe I didn't get the cooking right then. Mine has turned out more like chunks of crystalised fruit in a very thick syrup rather than a spreadable jam.

Should I have cut the fruit up smaller? Is it supposed to go soft and sort of mush up?

You got it right I said delicious on buttered bread and toast, thats why it has to be buttered otherwise the syrup all soaks into the bread. Put a couple of pieces of Konfyt (maybe chop up smaller easy as they are soft) on bread or toast and dribble the syrup over them.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh hurrah. And yum. I haven't sampled any yet as I'm trying not eat sugary things before the wedding season commences (I'm a guest at a couple, not the bride before anyone gets too excited) and I'm fairly sure if I open a jar I won't be able to resist dipping in regularly.

(My syrup is quite thick though - I got sidetracked doing something else - so doesn't cover all the pieces in the jar so I guess they probably shouldn't hang around for too long)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any recipes for marrow which don't involve stuffing them. I've always stuffed them in the past with varying concoctions of cheese and breadcrumbs, mushroomy mixes, wild rice and pancetta etc. But my family are not great fans of that. I'm trying baked marrow with a cheese sauce tonight. Any other suggestions.

Explanation is: I like marrow, I like using seasonal vegetables and I'll never give up trying.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't had a really big marrow to deal with for a number of years now. When I did, the usual method was, indeed, to stuff it. However, thinking about it, marrow, chopped into chunks, would make a good addition to a dish of roast vegetables: red onions, aubergine, peppers, the aforementioned marrow, all seasoned with olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, a few cloves of garlic, and whatever else you like, roasted until they're a bit caramelized around the edges. Serve hot or cold. A less continental version would ditch the oil and vinegar and roast them in a bit of dripping and the juices from the bottom of the pan after your Sunday roast.

Remember, marrow also makes great chutney and pickle (recipes for sweet watermelon pickle can be made with marrow) and can be shredded and used in cakes, muffins, etc. like its smaller relative, the courgette. Google 'zucchini bread' and you'll see.

American gardeners around this time of year suffer terrible gluts of marrows, which are thought of in the US as the zucchinis that got away, that hid under the leaves until they became horribly overgrown. People leave them on other people's doorsteps, ring the bell, and run away. And there are lots of inventive recipes.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Amos, that's brilliant. I hadn't thought of marrow for roasted vegetables, thinking it might be a bit watery (but baking it doesn't seem to produce excess liquid). I also hadn't a clue about preserving/pickling marrow.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos
American gardeners around this time of year suffer terrible gluts of marrows, which are thought of in the US as the zucchinis that got away, that hid under the leaves until they became horribly overgrown. People leave them on other people's doorsteps, ring the bell, and run away. And there are lots of inventive recipes.

I saw in the newspaper yesterday that one evening this week (I forget which) has been officially* designated "Leave your surplus zucchini on your neighbor's porch" evening.

The town of Harrisville, NH used to have a Zucchini Festival which was great, absurd fun. Among other things there was a greased zucchini toss. People joined this with partners. Participants stood in two lines facing each other, with each person opposite his/her partner. The organizers had collected used cooking oil from restaurants and put it in buckets. (It stank.) The zucchini were dipped in this and then handed to the participants who tossed them to their partners. A zucchini dripping oil is not easy to catch. Moreover, it may begin to disintegrate.

There was also the zucchini look-alike contest. People brought zucchini that they had dressed or otherwise modified to look like some celebrity. This was the year that Vanessa Williams had her Miss America titls taken away because she had posed for nude photographs. Someone entered a very carefully peeled zucchini labelled Vanessa Williams. It won first prize.

People were also warned that if their illegally parked cars were not moved, they would be filled with zucchini.

*It didn't say who the officials were.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marrow and ginger chutney or jam. They had it at the Farmers' Market on Sunday, though we didn't get any.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roasted with aromatic herbs/spices - that's Sophie Grigson's recipe. Off hand I think I remember sage, cumin and coriander (but I could be making that up!)

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Marrow and ginger chutney or jam. They had it at the Farmers' Market on Sunday, though we didn't get any.

Do get it next time; it's delicious. And thanks for reminding me how well ginger and marrow go with one another.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quick question: if a biscuit recepie calls for "all purpose" flour and baking powder, is it safe to just substitute self-raising flour?

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would assume 'all-purpose' = plain. Particularly if the recipe then specifies baking powder, since that is the added ingredient of self-raising. You could end up with some very tall biscuits.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are having a visitor for dinner tonight and she is allergic to chocolate. She isn't keen on bananas nor avacados, but will eat them.

The main part of the meal will be chicken or veggie based.I am just plain out of ideas. Actually I have to many things happening in my head just now for new ideas to take place.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions please?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, for vegetables, ratatouille or a similar vegetable stew type thing is very good at this time of year. You could serve that with simple grilled chicken breasts, which could be marinaded first if you prefered, and plain boiled new potatoes.

For dessert, there's always something like strawberry fool - if the first course has been fairly simple, the dessert can be quite rich, I always think.

I'm hosting my mother's 70th birthday party tomorrow. I need buffet style food for up to 40 guests. Any ideas beyond the salads, cold meats etc.? I'd like it to be reasonably simple to prepare, though I will have some help.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I would assume 'all-purpose' = plain. Particularly if the recipe then specifies baking powder, since that is the added ingredient of self-raising. You could end up with some very tall biscuits.

All-purpose flour (US) is closer to strong flour (UK) as it has more gluten in than plain flour (UK). Use UK plain flour and add a couple extra tablespoonfuls.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
We are having a visitor for dinner tonight and she is allergic to chocolate. She isn't keen on bananas nor avacados, but will eat them.

If you are looking for a quick, summery pud, you might try this. We did it Sunday and it was light and yummy (this is a recipe I adapted so it contains a mix of measurement types ... sorry):

Berry no-bake cheesecakes

175g gingersnaps
1/3 cup butter
150g cream cheese
150g Greek Yoghurt
3 tbsp caster sugar
a mix of your favourite berries

Grind the gingersnaps until fine. Melt the butter and mix with the gingersnaps. Line 4 small tart tins or ramekins with cling film then divide the mixture between them. Press the mixture into each base and up the sides (I used a small glass to do this). Place in the fridge for an hour to chill.

Mix together the cream cheese and yoghurt until smooth, stir in the the sugar and then chil in the fridge.

Fill the chilled bases with the cream cheese mixture (if you've lined them with clingfilm, carefully remove the cheesecakes) and top them with your berries.

You could do this as a single pie, but you'd have to futz with the measurements to get the quantity you need.

Yum, yum, good.

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay this is neither chicken nor veggie but He Who Must Be Obeyed marinates seerfish chunks [any firm fleshed fish will do] in crushed garlic, salt, chilli powder and turmeric for half an hour then fries them. That served on a bed of rice with ratatouille or Gado-Gado on the side would be fab!

I'm allergic to chocolate as well so I sympathise with your guest. Have you ever made Summer Pudding? It's not complicated and is delicious! Lots of recipes about for it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Up until a few months ago I had never met anyone who was allergic to chocolate. I had a friend who was lactose intolerant and so couldn't eat milk chocolate, but I never met anyone who is allergic to the chocolate itself.

Woderwick, you are the thrid person I have come across who is allergic. [Frown]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
. . . and I love it, too.

[Tear]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moth:

I'm hosting my mother's 70th birthday party tomorrow. I need buffet style food for up to 40 guests. Any ideas beyond the salads, cold meats etc.? I'd like it to be reasonably simple to prepare, though I will have some help.

Well, this is a cold meat salad but it's very easy and very good.

Things like onion bhajis and samosas or spring rolls can be bought and only need heating up.

Potato wedges are always good if you want something warm. Here's a fantastic Greek recipe and they taste brilliant cold the next day, too:

900g/2lbs large peeled potatoes
50 ml/2 fl oz olive oil
120 ml/4 fl oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
120 ml/ 4 fl oz water

Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/gas 8. Cut the potatoes into 1/4s or 1/8s longways and place in a large, shallow, ovenproof dish.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to coat. Bake at top of oven, uncovered for 1 hour or until light golden and crisp outside and soft inside.

Shake occasionally and add more water if necessary while cooking.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks! I do cook potato wedges, but I hadn't thought of doing them for the party. That recipe looks very good. I've always done mine without water. Why do you add water? How does it change the cooking process?

The chicken salad looks nice, too!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know about the water, but I guess it sort of steams them a bit and helps to get them fluffy and soft inside. Come to think of it, I don't know how to tell if more water is necessary - I just copied out the recipe! [Paranoid]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re buffet: Fiddly, I know - but filled hard-boiled eggs: mashing the yolks with mayo and curry powder, and piling back in again. Getting those jars of lumpfish roe caviar, and putting a teaspoonful per half egg.

Sort-of-bruschetta. Slices of french bread, lightly brushed with oil both sides, slices of tomato (fresh & sundried mixed nice), season, bake until bread browns a little. Sprinkle with fresh basil.

Pita, split and quartered and baked until a bit crisp - and a big bowl of houmous. Or tzadiki. Or both.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Oh, by the way, the recipe says that the wedges serve 6-8 people.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

I can report that the cold chicken curry salad recipe posted by Keren-Happuch is easy to make and yummy! There were several nice comments about it.

I also served wedges, but didn't add water!

[ 05. August 2006, 22:49: Message edited by: Moth ]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think this might have been asked before on the last recipe thread, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have any good recipes for flapjacks?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

I posted a couple of flapjack recipes on page 5 of this thread.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

We got a couple of avocados in the veg box this week. Apart from guacamole, does anybody have any suggestions for using them?

--------------------
Nea Fox

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, yum. Cut them up and drizzle Italian salad dressing over them. Add other salad stuff if you like, but they're lovely just like this.

Vietnamese style: Add sugar and ice, mix in a blender for a kind of avocado milkshake. Not sure if they actually add any milk....

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make a nice creamy potato soup and serve with the sliced avocado on top. This is very popular in Ecuador (either avocado or sliced egg, though I much preferred the avocado).

I saw a salad the other day that was slices of buffalo mozarella, avocado, and lovely tomatoes sprinkled with salt, pepper, basil and drizzled with olive oil. Yummmm

Also, I love to eat avocado by itself with a little bit of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Avocado on toast.

Honest [Biased]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually butter the toast and put marmite on it then mush the avocado on top. I need a licking lips smillie for that one.

Have it South African style.
1)Halve and remove pip
2)score the flesh with a sharp knife but be careful not to cut the skin
3)Sprinkle pepper and salt to taste on the inside
4)pour in to taste either lemon or lime juice or a light tasting vinegar.

Actually you can even use malt vinegar; indeed my parents did for years because though they'd buy avocadoes, as a treat if they were perfectly ripe, the finances did not stretch to anything fancier to go on them. This was in the days before people on this side of the pond knew about guacamole and so my mum was the only individual around who knew how to test for a ripe one.

Jengie

[ 10. August 2006, 19:59: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My SA wife insists that to do anything at all to a good avocado is utter heresy.

Easy to understand why - I have to say that in England one really does miss out on a really good avo.

I tend to have mine with a little bit of balsamic vinegar.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How did your mum test for a ripe one, Jengie?
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Mmm, I've got tomatoes and feta - salad sounds like a good option.

After asking the question, I found this which explains about halfway down how to test for ripeness.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Can't find it on that page. This is something that I only partly know. I will describe it as well as I can but let me assure you my mum never taught me this it was gained through observation so my description of what a ripe one feels like is a bit broad.

Apply gentle but firm pressure to the skin near the narrow end of the avocadoe. It should just start to give to your fingers. If it is totally hard then its under ripe and the flesh will be green, if it is too ripe then as the flesh is soft and easily dented, the flesh inside will be brown.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone tried any of Ina Garten's (" The Barefoot Contessa") recipes? My sister sent me one of her books and I'm curious to see what experience others have had with them.
Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Question for American shipmates:

I have recently been given a copy of the first English translation of La Bonne Cuisine by Madame Saint-Ange. The book has been translated into American English and makes frequent reference to "fatback bacon". What is it?

--------------------
M Barnier

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a photo:
"Fatback" -- that is, "American" bacon being wrapped around a lean medallion of meat; our bacon = cured pork meant to be sliced thin and panfried, or used to add needed fats to game and other lean meats, etc.

Sometimes you want more fat and the smoky salty flavor of fat bacon.

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

The fourth picture down shows the fatback in more detail with a bit of a description.
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Brilliant. Roast liver in fatback bacon, here we come!

(last week we had was Beef Wellington, by the way).

--------------------
M Barnier

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had bacon-wrapped grilled oysters as part of my wedding buffet. Mmm-hmmm.

And of course filet mignon, any time I've had that it's always been bacon-wrapped.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

In the aforementioned book, larding (taking small pieces of fatback bacon and threading them through the top of the meat) is a frequently required method. I wonder if the tools are still made.

There is a translator's note explaining that larding was originally done in order to make the meat more tender, although I'm pretty sure that liver, 100 years ago, would have been pretty tender. I think it's really to make things taste nice [Smile]

--------------------
M Barnier

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Another thing that benefits from being swathed in bacon is meat loaf.

I do one which is mince, onions and a slice of bread soaked in red wine & worcester sauce & ketchup. The whole lot shaped and then covered with a slices of streaky bacon. Cook covered and foil for about an hour, then uncover for and cook until the bacon is crispy.

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have any bright ideas about what I could do with a bottle of cassis balsamic vinegar? It's wonderful drizzled on salads but I'm tiring of salads every other night. I'm thinking that perhaps I could use the vinegar as some kind of warm sauce, but how?
Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

On strawberries.

Or drizzled with honey over pork before roasting, according to BBC website I just looked at. Duck might be nice that way too. (Assuming you can use cassis balsamic vinager like plain balsamic)

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would also make a nice red onion gravy.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Make a marinade with the vinegar, some oil, chopped scallions, pinch of thyme, fair amount of brown sugar, pinch of chili, tsp of allspice. Very good for pork.
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fast, Simple Garlic Vinaigrette

In a bowl, combine:

1/2 c good quality olive oil
2 T Dijon or stoneground mustard
2 T balsamic vinegar
1-2 T minced garlic (depending on taste)
1 T white wine
Kosher salt (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

Whip ingredients with a small whisk or fork until dressing thickens and all ingredients have combined (+/- 30 seconds). Serve on salad or cooked eggs.

Makes 3-4 servings

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tried that recipe on yesterdays salad. Very nice Ken.
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016