homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kenwritez:

You stuffed mushrooms sounds about right, especially stuffed with crab.

Thistle:

Sorry. The milk intolerant is myself and I am high level. I get away with only a very low quantity of soya and milk products. I have so far achieved at least three days off work in the last month because I have over done the milk (i.e. eaten a slice of bread with a normal portion of goats milk on it) [Projectile] . The whole point is to make sure I can eat something, vegetarian/fish just extends the eaters.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Speaking of using spices, do people here have certain herbs and spices that add that zing to dishes of certain incredients?

One spice/herb not yet mentioned is basil which goes well with anything made with tomatoes.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

- Posted      Profile for auntie di   Email auntie di   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ooh tomatoes! just spent a week in Montenegro, and on our first evening we were recommended to make salad from tomatoes chopped with the local PINK onions (never seen before). together with a bit of cucumber, a pepper, local feta style cheese and a liberal sprinkling of olive oil, one meal and we were hooked. The peppers available were the almost white, jalapeno style, which i never see for sale in the UK, but delicious. We used an old sandwich toaster to toast our bread and discovered it made the best brochette toast possible. One week of ODing on this was almost as good a detox as the chilling out on the beach that accompanied it!

--------------------
auntie di

Posts: 586 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
sewanee_angel
Shipmate
# 2908

- Posted      Profile for sewanee_angel   Email sewanee_angel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found a new recipe that I tried last night. It was pretty tasty by my standards. I was most pleased. I have enough left for two lunches, too. The most difficult step was shredding the carrots.

1 sweet potato (peeled & cubed)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
1 15 oz. can of peeled plum tomoatoes (I used a can of diced tomatoes because that is what I had)
1 15oz. can of chick peas
1 cup shredded or julienned carrots
red pepper flakes
5 oz. spinach leaves (I used about a cup of frozen because that is what I had)

Put sweet potato cubes, salt, olive oil, ~1/2 curry powder in a baggie and shake until mixed. Spread sweet potato on cookie sheet and bake at 400 until golden.

Combine remaining ingredients (except spinach) in a pot. Simmer for a bit.* I added more curry powder than the recipe called for. Add sweet potatos and spinach. Cook until spinach leaves wilt (if using fresh spinach).

*basically until veggies are cooked to your preference.

The recipe said to garnish with plain yogurt and cilantro but I didn't have either of those so I don't know how it will taste. I served it with rice. I think pita bread or other bread would be good, too.

Posts: 598 | From: a van down by the river | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This sounds good, and I'm not a sweet potato fan. I think I'll make it with couscous. Thanks!
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Siamese Girl Scout Stew

East meets west in a new twist on an old classic

1 lb. ground beef
1 can coconut milk
1/4 c. stinky fish sauce
2 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste or to taste
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp tomato paste (I used sun dried tomato paste!)
1 can (or equivalent) green beans, drained
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
1 tbsp blackening powder (see advert, above) or equivalent, or to taste

Fry ground beef. Drain. Add all other ingredients. Cook until hot through. Serve over rice.

Very filling, and kind of exotic and homey at the same time.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just discovered that I am fairly high cholesterol. Looking at the diet advice, it is all, to be perfectly honest, what I knew about avoiding fat, eating whole grains & oat cereal & being good about exercise. AARGH.

Generally, that's OK. I like fruit & veg, I will miss cheese, but fair enough, I can eat Flora Pro-Active stuff, although it's a tad expensive. All fine.

But Mr D loves his cake & biscuits. And if they are in the house, I will eat them too. I could say "Hard luck, Mr D" but that seems a bit unfair.

Thus I am looking for recipes for no-fat, or very low fat, cakes & biscuits. I have one cake recipe consisting of All Bran, sultanas, 1 egg, & sugar, but that's all. Anyone got any other recipes?

And what's the thinking on sugar for cholesterol? I know it makes you fat, so I ought to try to avoid it to a certain extent, but is it a No-no? And if so, is honey any better? And if so, do I just substitute the same amount of honey for sugar? So many questions...?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sugar does not contain any cholesterol. Honey (which is basically flavoured, damp, sugar) might concievably have a trace.

There is argument (to say the least) as to what extent diet contributes to cholesterol in the blood (after all, you make the stuff yourself). But it can't do any harm to cut it out of the diet. All animal foods have some cholesterol, some more than others. Plant foods have very little.

Some people think that being overweight causes us to not get rid of excess cholesterol, in which case its not so much a matter of avoiding "bad" fatty foods as of eating less of everything to lose weight.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seeing as this is a recipe thread, this is what I ate last Sunday.

First I cooked some rice and put it to one side.

Then I got a small pot and put olive oil in it and heated up a small handfull of dried chillies in the oil.

After a few minutes, before the chillies began to burn, I poured most of the oil into a large pot, and added water to the small pot and brought it to the boil. I then added chopped ginger and garlic to it and the juice of a lime, reduced it a little, and threw away what was left of the chillies, giving me about a cup full of spicy sauce.

In the big pot I fried some mushrooms in the chilli oil, added a chopped onion to it, fried them together for a few minutes, then I cut some haddock into strips about 2 centimetres wide, added those, and added some king prawns. I cooked them for a minute or so, then mixed in the rice and the sauce.

It was rather good.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief, where do you get the Girl Scouts from, and which advert above??

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you don't know where to get Girl Scouts from, far be it from me to darken your mind with such vile and reprehensible knowledge. One also wonders what you put in your Hunter's Stew or Fishermen's Chowder. [Paranoid]

I posted earlier (on the previous page, I believe) on my favourite seasoning mix, to wit, Cajun's Choice Blackened Seasoning.

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, OK. I think Girl Scouts go by the name of Brownies on this side of the pond...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Mousethief, where do you get the Girl Scouts from, and which advert above??

Siamese Girl Scouts, no less!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

On this side of the pond, Brownies:Girl Scouts::Cub Scouts:Boy Scouts::Bluebirds:Camp Fire Girls (etc)

[ 06. September 2006, 16:05: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Girl Scouts ≅ Girl Guides
Brownie Scouts ≅ Brownie Guides.

The ages are a little different.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brownies (Scouts or Guides) are much more tender than the older Girl Scouts. Think of the Brownies as veal.

I am envious of MT, that not only can he get Girl Scouts (for some reason rare in my town--even tho' I like mine medium rare. Get it? Heh heh heh) but he gets Siamese Girl Scouts.

Seattle really does have everything!

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Seattle really does have everything!

It's an international, pacific rim city! Sadly, we only have domestic Girl Scouts here.

they're stringier. need longer stewing.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet,

You might want to try using a meat tenderizer. The brownies, being younger, are more tender, but being smaller, yield less meat.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is going to be whats this recipe called. I simply cannot believe I am the first person to make this it's so simple.

Ingredients
  • Large Portabello mushrooms
  • 1 egg for each mushroom
  • olive oil
  • garlic cloves to taste

Instructions
  1. turn oven on to 150° C
  2. Crush garlic cloves
  3. mix garlic cloves with olive oil and brush on portabello mushrooms
  4. place mushrooms in baking tray
  5. break an egg into each mushroom
  6. bake in oven for around twenty minutes

I ate with rice and a green salad tonight.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds good, Jengie! (I dunno what you call it. Portobello eggs? )

Mousethief, that Girl Scout Stew recipe is much more exotic than the one my daughter learned. I guess out here in the midwest we just don't have much class:

Tacky Midwestern Girl Scout Stew
1 lb. ground beef, browned

Add:
1 can Spaghetti-O's™
1 can "alphabet" vegetable soup

Heat and serve. Voilà

[ 09. September 2006, 02:07: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The traditional Girl Scout Stew recipe my mom used was:

1 lb ground beef
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 box of frozen green beans.

Fry together until done.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Comet,

You might want to try using a meat tenderizer. The brownies, being younger, are more tender, but being smaller, yield less meat.

AS much as a cat?

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Comet,

AS much as a cat?

John

but much fattier. if you get the "nintendo" version of the Brownies, the meat just melts off the bone.

cats are a bit gamey.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Dish for church:

Please note no real warming through unless arranged and I was too busy to do that.

I therefore did seafood, spinach and mushroom parcels instead of seafood and spinach in portabello mushrooms. The recipe was complicated as I decided I needed a creamy base and that had to be vegan. As O soubt anyone would want to duplicate it i am not posting but if you want the recipe shout.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Comet,

AS much as a cat?

John

It depends. How big is the cat?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
Originally posted by cometchaser:
Cats are a bit gamey.

This can be minimized if the cat is properly field dressed. I suggest hanging the cat by the hind feet as soon as it is killed (humanely, of course) and cutting the throat so that the blood drains completely. (It is the blood that gives it that "gamey" taste, you know.) You can also soak the meat in brine for a few hours (or even overnight) which will remove any remaining blood. Make sure you change the water several times.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

- Posted      Profile for auntie di   Email auntie di   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I took inspiration from the Siamese girl scout stew for this one- oh and i had a can of coconut milk in the cupboard that I'd bought ages ago and never seemed to think of using.

start with one large onion, roughly chopped and fried very gently until tender.
add, all in one go;
left over meat from roast 2 days ago (it was duck in my case, but I suspect any would do).
half a teaspoon of each of mashed ginger root, mashed lemon grass (from jars) and dried cumin.
about one clove's worth of crushed garlic (or the puree if you're idle like me).
a little black pepper.
one can of coconut milk.

stir through and raise gently to boiling point. thicken if needed or desired with a little cornflour.
serve with boiled rice.

not kidding, it was yummy, and the leftovers that i took to work for lunch attracted colleagues wanting a taste.

--------------------
auntie di

Posts: 586 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone here got a good recipe for basic beef stock that is not extravagant to make?

I have recipes that make excellent stock, but the household grocery budget does not permit them to be made, as the ingredients are expensive.

Unless I add ingredients such as bayleaves, thyme, etc (which means that they can often not be used in sauces for which beef stock is required), my stocks are rather dull. I don't seem to be very good at extracting the beefy essence. Any tips?

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why don't you tell us how you usually make it?

Then people can suggest modifications.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a box of Shiitake mushrooms in the fridge that are begging to be cooked. Does anyone know of a reasonably simple Thai recipe that includes shiitake mushrooms, with maybe some prawns included or perhaps just veg?

We don't have easy access to much in the way of exotic ingredients - the most exotic we can get is stuff like thai curry paste and veg like sugarsnap peas, baby corn, beansprouts and canned stuff like water chestnuts.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully and mouth-wateringly accepted [Big Grin]

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
my stocks are rather dull. I don't seem to be very good at extracting the beefy essence. Any tips?

My immediate thought would be that the stock is too dilute, and that simply boiling off some of the liquid would give you a stronger flavour. You end up with less, but with more oommph.

Vegetables can contribute a lot: and wine.

I made a braise of beef last night - just the meat, with 2 onions, 3 carrots and a punnet of mushrooms, quarter bottle of red and let it simmer for an hour or so. The sauce was sensational. While that doubtless owed a lot to the joint, I think the sweetness came from the carrot & onion and at least some of the 'meatiness' was actually the mushrooms.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My latest effort was; 2kg of beef bones, sawn up. 3 rashers of streaky bacon, 3 litres of water. I brought this to the boil, skimmed, and them simmered for about four hours before reducing slightly. I got about two litres of stock.

Because I use stock to make sauces which require substantial use of vegitables themselves, I prefer to try and extract the essence of the meat and leave it at that.

--------------------
M Barnier

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by sparklylady:
We have a box of Shiitake mushrooms in the fridge that are begging to be cooked. Does anyone know of a reasonably simple Thai recipe that includes shiitake mushrooms, with maybe some prawns included or perhaps just veg?

a simple Thai yellow curry (kang karie/kao garie gye) is excellent with shiitakes. Use the prawns as well, and diced potatoes.

do you know how to do a yellow curry?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cometchaser:

do you know how to do a yellow curry?

Get a green curry, and wait for autumn?

Sorry.

[ 18. September 2006, 07:41: Message edited by: Firenze ]

guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I dont know how to do a yellow curry. We improvised in the end - made a red curry with some red curry paste, peppers, crayfish, beansprouts, mange tout (sugarsnap peas), baby corn, the mushrooms, some coconut milk and a squeeze of lime. I am happy to say that it turned out great, and I will definitely be improvising again! [Yipee]
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cod, did you roast the bones first?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

ooooh sparkly, that sounds lovely!

a yellow curry is simple - coconut milk, a dash of fish sauce, and yellow curry paste to taste. then cook your meat and veg in the resulting thick, soupy stuff. serve with rice if you like, or just fill it with enough potatoes and eat it like soup. it's one of the family workday standards here.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd second KenWritez -- most recipes want you to oven roast the bones for a couple of hours at least before you carry on.

When making chicken/turkey stock out of a previously cooked carcase, it's normal to add a carrot or two, an onion or two and perhaps a couple of bay leaves to the water when you start the boil. The same is probably true of making beef stock.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I've discovered the answer to Cod's query.

Gristle.

I had the other end of the joint I braised, but in this case roasted. Beef still very nice, but rather more tough bits on account of the dry method of cooking.

What your stock needs, besides bones, is a nice, gelatinous bit of shin or oxtail.

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had dinner with friends yesterday, who demanded that I come prepared to make a corn souffle which they've enjoyed in the past. It's not *really* a souffle (doesn't rise like one!) but it is a nice corn dish, one we've used in my family for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners since I was in high school ('way back, yup).

The four of us inhaled this last night; easily doubled & served in a larger pan.

Corn "Souffle"
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 eggs
1 cup milk
16 oz can cream-style corn
2-3 Tablespoons butter

Slightly beat eggs. Mix the dry ingredients and add to the eggs, mix it up. Add the milk and then the corn.

Melt the butter, coat small casserole dish --if it's microwave safe, I just lob the butter in & nuke it briefly and coat the sides & then add corn mixture to it; OTHERWISE--> add butter to other ingredients, pour into casserole and bake at 350 F. for 40-55 minutes, depending on size of the dish & depth of the mixture. Knife inserted in middle will come out clean and the dish takes on a lovely golden brownish top (the edges are lovely and crusty!).

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Thanks to Firenze and Kenwritez,

Ken, no I haven't tried roasting the bones. What difference does this make to the stock, and how long should I roast them for?

Firenze, advice noted. Down here, oxtail is nearly as expensive as rump steak!

--------------------
M Barnier

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew a man who could make incredible beef stock and he roasted the bones. Here's a stock recipe involving roasted bones at All Recipes.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anybody tell me how to make yoghurt? Lakeland sells a yoghurt making machine, and some stuff that comes as a powder, which seems too disgusting for words. I'm getting fed up of the amount of waste I generate as yoghurt pots, and thought maybe I could put them to good use making my own. But I don't know how.
Thankyou,
Gnome

--------------------
Floating Fund!

gizzie

Ship's interpreter
# 11715

- Posted      Profile for gizzie   Email gizzie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
we used to make yoghourt a long time ago, very simply. Mix a couple of tablespoonfuls of good quality live plain yoghourt( best from health food shop or similar) into a pint of milk which is hand-hot ( mustn't be too hot or it kills the stuff). Then put it all into a thermos flask, close and leave overnight. You can then use some of the new yoghourt to make another batch. Never used any of those special powders.
It did work but this was a long time ago!

Posts: 381 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh, I like that - the thermos idea is very good. Yeah, basically the "yoghurt machines" simply heat the invidiual pots to that bit-warmer-than-body-temperature place at which the bacteria thrive.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Please excuse the double post but I've been reading through this thread (and saving recipes) and just found that, back in March, Welease Woderick said that coriander and cilantro are the same thing! I never knew that - so do any of you British sorts have a good Carrot & Coriander soup recipe?

It's one of my faves and we just don't DO it over here... but now, knowing that Coriander = cilantro, heh heh heh... *thank you*

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Um, I'm not so sure about that identification. Maybe cilantro is one form of coriander?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

well, after reading WW's post, I found this site, which seems to indicate American usage is to call the leaves cilantro and the seeds coriander... but what do I know? Not as much as I'd like, and willing to learn.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by LynnMagdalenCollege:
well, after reading WW's post, I found this site, which seems to indicate American usage is to call the leaves cilantro and the seeds coriander... but what do I know? Not as much as I'd like, and willing to learn.

That's what I've heard. Also "Chinese parsley" for the leaves.

--------------------

guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

Oh, I make an absolutely gorgeous carrot and coriander soup and it's so, SO easy. I will make it tonight to refresh my memory and I'll report back tomorrow [Smile]

[ 20. September 2006, 07:41: Message edited by: sparklylady ]

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016