homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Recipe Thread - The Second Course
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make yogurt same as gizzie, mostly. but I heat the milk (3 cups, maybe?) until it just begins to get little bubbles on the edges. then cool to fingertip temp. then whisk in the tablespoon or two (I've never measured) of live yogurt. then pour into jars - pint size, usually, cap, wrap in warm towels and keep in a warm spot - top cupboard, over the pilot light on the stove top, shelf near the wood stove - wherever you'd keep your rising bread.

next morning, viola! fresh yogurt. ten times better than storebought.

when you get down to your last few tablespoons, make more.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
gizzie

Ship's interpreter
# 11715

- Posted      Profile for gizzie   Email gizzie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thanks for reminding me , cometchaser , that the milk must be heated up to nearly boiling and then cooled, very important! I must have a go again soon.
Posts: 381 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ooooh, I'm so happy! carrot and coriander soup! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
gizzie

Ship's interpreter
# 11715

- Posted      Profile for gizzie   Email gizzie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cilantro (pron. cheelantro)is Italian for coriander. It seems that in the US this name is just used for the leaves. This side of the pond we say coriander leaves or seeds. If a recipe just said coriander I would presume it meant the leaves.
Soups - I made a lovely one recently with butternut squash using 1 butternut squash, 1 onion, Maggi vegetable bouillon, garlic.

Posts: 381 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by gizzie:
Cilantro (pron. cheelantro)is Italian for coriander. It seems that in the US this name is just used for the leaves.

In the Americas, you are more likely to hear the Spanish pronunciation, seelantro. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
Cilantro (pron. cheelantro)is Italian for coriander. It seems that in the US this name is just used for the leaves.

In the Americas, you are more likely to hear the Spanish pronunciation, seelantro. OliviaG
Brilliant! I've heard this and never knew what exotic thing it was - and I have it growing, right there on my windowsill [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here on the west coast of the US, I've always seen and heard "cilantro" (pr. 'see-LAN-trrro', gotta trill the Rs) referring to the whole plant.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Here on the west coast of the US, I've always seen and heard "cilantro" (pr. 'see-LAN-trrro', gotta trill the Rs) referring to the whole plant.

But the ground seed pods are still coriander, right? Or do I have to re-organize my spice rack? [Ultra confused] OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, its all coriander. Leaves, flowers, seeds. All the same name.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'kay, then what's cumin? I thought it was the ground cilantro seeds?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cumin is powdered cilantro/coriander. I don't know if it's leaves + stems or just the leaves, or some other part(s) entirely. ken?

BTW, I ran across this cool foodie website.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I though cumin was something quite different. Certainly, I have separate jars of coriander and cumin seeds, and were I to confuse the two, my cooking would have some odd results.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep. Coriander and cilantro are the same plant (Coriandrum sativum) but cumin is a different plant (Cuminum cyminum) from the same family (Apiaceae). Cilantro leaves and cumin are both good in chili con carne. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

I comfortably sit corrected. [Big Grin] The Ship of Fools: Avenue of Education!

[Change of subject]

Has anyone found a retail or online outlet for discounted Le Creuset pans? I really want a 9 quart Dutch oven, but the cheapest LC here I've found is about $160.

[ 21. September 2006, 17:33: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
((Lynn, drumming fingers on desk, hoping sparkly lady comes back soon with carrot & coriander soup... yum!))

--------------------

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Has anyone found a retail or online outlet for discounted Le Creuset pans?

There is a Le Creuset outlet store quite near me. Let me know if you need any local assistance.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By the way, Mr. P and I recently acquired a sausage-stuffing attachment for our KitchenAid mixer. Does anyone have any favorite sausage recipes?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, I was just about to ask how to make yogurt!

KenW asked on the Scottish thread that I post the recipe for Scottish Tablet. I have never made this traditional confection. However, Zipporah posted the recipe a few years back.

Zipporah's Tablet

[ 27. September 2006, 05:45: Message edited by: babybear ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone here a dab hand at Bakewell Tart?

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pak Choi is my question du jour!

For some unknown reason I want to try it but am not sure how to cook it. I'm assuming that it's good in stir fries but can one have it in place of cabbage with a Sunday Roast, for example?

Any ideas chefs?

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

Dolphy, I had no idea what pak choi was until I Googled it and discovered it was my old friend bok choy (aka Chinese cabbage), as it's known in my part of the US.

I've used it in soups, stir-fries and even roasted and sauteed it. IME very hot, rapid cooking is kindest to it, keeping an al dente crunch as long as you don't overcook it.

A stir-fry in a large, cast-iron skillet (if you don't have a wok) is ideal, just start the pan with some vegetable oil (not olive), heat it over high heat until the oil shimmers, then add the chopped bok choy and a few dashes of soy sauce, ditto of white wine, and a tablespoon or three (depending on taste) of oyster sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring every few seconds. Remove and serve immediately.

Now that I've babbled on, to your question about the Sunday Roast. I'm unsure how to answer it since I don't know what's involved in your SR and how you cook your cabbage for it. ISTM bok choy doesn't require the same long cooking times as green or purple cabbage--bok choy has a more delicate flavor and cellular structure, and long cooking would turn it to mush. However, YMMV. Someone else may know more about this than I do.

[ 29. September 2006, 13:26: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Dolphy, I had no idea what pak choi was until I Googled it and discovered it was my old friend bok choy (aka Chinese cabbage), as it's known in my part of the US.

Mea cupla. I also googled it and found out it was also called [b]bok choy[/].
Thanks for your advice, and I will try the stir fry.

As for having it with the likes of a Sunday roastie, I was meaning instead of having cabbage, something to go with lamb chops or whatever...

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going back to Yoghurt - we buy fresh, untreated milk every Sunday when we have lunch in HWMBO's village and untreated makes far better yoghurt than treated. Buffalo milk, if you can get it, makes it better still.

After lunch fresh live yogurt with perhaps a few jaggery banana chips or a small drizzle of honey is simple and so delicious!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anybody have a nice recipe for brussels sprouts? Canadian thansgiving is coming soon, So I'm re-embarking on my mission to teach my nieces to Try Something New. The last few years, I've made a variation on a Gourmet magazine recipe that involves braising them with some garlic in chicken stock, then tossing them with bacon and Dijon mustard. Goes over well with the oldies, but the girls go all over, like, icky!

Is there something you think might make them more palatable to the Pizza Hut-addicted young'uns? Or should I just give up and throw cheese sauce on anything vaguely vegetable-ish?

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peel them, halve them, halve some button mushrooms and some water chestnut and stir fry them all together [sprouts in first, then mushrooms then water chestnuts] with a dash of soy sauce, or possibly oyster sauce.

Delicious!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having a scone dilemma, in that when I make them they are similar to risen rock cakes and pretty dry.

I am also trying to cook them with the sugar substitute stuff, but I don't think that this makes a difference as when I tried it with real sugar it wasn't any better.

They aren't being cremated, and the mixture is pretty moist going into the oven. I suspect that I should cook them at a lower heat and for longer (using up all my daily reserves of patience no doubt), but just wanted to pick your brains about how you culinary geniuses made yours.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Meg the Red, if you serve several vegetables it's okay for the girls to go "ick!" and leave the nice garlicky-bacony brussel sprouts for the adults and let the girls eat whatever other veg you prepare... I don't like brussel sprouts myself, although with garlic & bacon, I'd be willing to try 'em!

In the meantime, I'm still hoping for that carrot & coriander soup recipe...

--------------------

Talmudnik
Shipmate
# 9339

- Posted      Profile for Talmudnik   Email Talmudnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LynnMagdalenCollege:

You might like this version (amounts given are approx):

Saute 2 medium, choppped onions in 2-3 tbsp butter. Add 6 medium carrots which have been peeled and chopped. Suate until lightly browned. Add broth (amount will depend on whether you want a thick or thin soup). Season with salt, pepper, and your favourite curry powder (I use a Rajasthani one - rather hot). Cook until carrots are done. Puree the lot. When serving, spoon a dollop of thick yoghurt into each bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves. This dish also works very well with roasted acorn squash instead of carrots.

--------------------
The longest journey you'll ever take is from this world to the next. Make sure you are prepared. R' Yaakov Culi, MeAm Lo'ez

Posts: 576 | From: Montreal | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a recipie for red beans and rice buried in here?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
I'm having a scone dilemma, in that when I make them they are similar to risen rock cakes and pretty dry.
{snip} I suspect that I should cook them at a lower heat and for longer (using up all my daily reserves of patience no doubt), but just wanted to pick your brains about how you culinary geniuses made yours.

My guess is that you should cook them at higher heat for a shorter time. I have never made scones, but I have a lot of experience baking cakes, cookies, etc.

The longer I bake something, the drier it gets.

Moo

[ 29. September 2006, 22:31: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
{snip} I suspect that I should cook them at a lower heat and for longer (using up all my daily reserves of patience no doubt), but just wanted to pick your brains about how you culinary geniuses made yours.

My guess is that you should cook them at higher heat for a shorter time. I have never made scones, but I have a lot of experience baking cakes, cookies, etc.

The longer I bake something, the drier it gets.

Moo

. . . and use sour milk to make the dough.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Is there a recipie for red beans and rice buried in here?

I haven't made this, but it looks good:
New Orleans-Style Red Beans and Rice

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right on, Ken. The minute I saw your post I thought, "I bet Ken came through for me..."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brussel Sprouts can be made into a puree with cream - I've done it, years ago, and the recipe isn't in the book I thought it was in, which means it could take some time to find. Personally, I couldn't see the point, but I like sprouts, anyway.

Red kidney beans and rice is something I used to do in the slow cooker before anyone knew about having to boil the things for 10 minutes plus before eating. It was fine if I left it all day and it was more than cooked when I got back to it, but was stomach ache on a plate at the correct cooking times. The proportions were 0.25kg/0.5lb of uncooked beans and brown rice, 2 onions, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp chervil, salt and pepper, water, 3-4 tbs tomato paste, 1 cracked ham bone, 1 tbs oil.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like marinating chicken breasts in yoshida sauce (asian sauce sort of a cross between soy and teryaki) and onion, then stirfying that with some brocoli, bok choy and onion and some ginger root. Very quick and tasty over rice.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm having a scone dilemma,

If you can get buttermilk, there's a versatile dough/batter that I used to use a lot.

The basic ingredients are white flour, sugar, pinch of salt, teasp baking powder and the buttermilk. Made quite runny, and dropped on a hot, greased surface, it makes what I called pancakes, but some would call drop scones. Made firmer, and cut in rings, and deep fried until crisp, then rolled in sugar - gravy rings/doughnuts. Slightly firmer again, some dried fruit, baked in a fairly hot oven - soda bread (if shaped in a cake) or scones.

Sliced apple through as well, also good.

I am sorry to be vague about quantities, but I had it from my mother, whose instructions began 'A handful of sugar to two handfuls of flour...'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze, by baking in a fairly hot oven, how hot do you mean and for how long?

I'm feeling the need to bake some tomorrow morning for breakfast...Mmmmmm (hopefully)

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Firenze, by baking in a fairly hot oven, how hot do you mean and for how long?

Ah. This is the problem with Lore Handed Down - and originally road-tested in solid-fuel ranges, or, indeed, gridles over open fires.

This recipe here is, I think, near enough. (You can use wholemeal if you like, but, in our house, it was plain + fruit, or apple, or with a tablespoon of treacle mixed in).

[ 30. September 2006, 18:44: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This conversion website might just help with questions such as "how hot is hot?"

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had sprout soup with bacon and nutmeg in it at a friend's house once, which was pretty palatable. I don't have a recipe though.

Does anybody have any ideas for healthy ways to disguise the taste of bananas? I need to boost my potassium intake - getting cramps because of pregnancy - but the only way I like bananas is in the form of cake (where the taste is masked with copious quantities of cinnamon)!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banana and chocolate milkshake

1 banana
6 tsp drinking chocolate
milk
1 Tsp of boiling water

Put the banana in a blender and blitz.
Put drinking chocolate powder in a mug, and add a tablespoon of boiling water, and mix. Add this to the banana mush. Then add milk to give a total volume of about 500ml, or 1 pt. Blitz until everything is well combined.

The banana gives body and some thickness to the milkshake, but the drinking chocolate hides the taste.

If you don't have drinking chocolate powder, use some cocoa powder and sugar instead.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

Just had a thought, and it wsa too late to edit my post above.

Bananas are often though to be very high in potassium, but there are other foods which are quite a few times higher in potassium that bananas. eg. potatoes baked in their jackets and the skins eaten contain one and half times the amount of potassium of a banana (weight for weight).

A kiwi fruit has about the same amount of potassium as a banana. Dried, ready to eat apricots are worth 4 times a banana (weight for weight).

Other potassium rich foods

I rather like a banana chopped over museli, but you could add a handful of dried fruit to breakfast cereal, or some copped apricots. A kiwi fruit makes a lovely little snack, and a handful of raisins could be a tasty treat after lunch.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's good to know, babybear - maybe I'll just stick to dried apricots then, which I usually have around anyway! [Smile]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

To bb's recipe I recommend adding a handful of ice cubes and letting the blender crush them. They'll keep the shake colder longer, and add a nice texture. I'd also add a dash each of cinnamon and nutmeg.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LynnMagdalenCollege:

Whilst you're waiting on SparklyLady here's one that I just made (and made up!) and am eating now and thoroughtly enjoying. Not as spicy as Talmudnik's, more fresh coriander flavour.

Saute one onion in olive oil.
Add quarter teaspoon ground coriander seed.
Add 8 chopped carrots.
Cover with stock (I used Marigold powder - any veggie stock will do or even water). Simmer very gently for 30+ mins.
Add v large handful coriander/cilantro leaves and stalks. (The amount I used would easily fill my cupped hands together so the flavour really sings out).
Blend.
Season.

Gives you two large bowls or four smaller ones. Add more water/stock if it's too thick after blending. You could also add cream/creme fraiche/yoghurt, but to be honest after blending it was nice and thick so I didn't bother.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:

I really like every herb and spice out there but cilantro. I loathe it
it reminds me of dishwashing soap. Cilantro is like a Bjork CD you either like her or not. I love Bjork's music.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

Per Cusanus's request over on the Christmas Foods thread, I am posting my recipe for home-candied citrus peel and Anna's Fruitcake.

Candied Citrus Peel

Use a grapefruit spoon to strip away the white pith from the peel of 1 dozen citrus (I like oranges best for the following recipe). Cut into julienne. Place in saucepan and rinse once, then cover with cold water, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Drain and repeat twice. Drain.

Combine 1 bottle Karo light corn syrup and 1 c. sugar with peel, along with enough water to cover. Bring to boil and simmer briskly until liquid is somewhat reduced and translucent. Let sit 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Drain. Spread on buttered cookie sheet and dry off in slow oven (about 275 degrees F). Yield: about 2 and 1/2 cups.

Anna's Fruitcake

Cream together 1/2 c. softened butter with 1 c. sugar, 1 egg, and 1 t. each almond extract and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 c. flour, 1 t. each salt and ground cinnamon, and 1/2 t. each ground cloves and nutmeg. In a pitcher, mix 1 c. plus 2 T. milk and 1 and 1/2 t. baking soda.

Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture. When done, beat 3 minutes.

Add the candied peel from the previous recipe, 6 oz. toasted slivered almonds, 1 c. chopped marzipan, and 2 c. white raisins. Line bread pans with buttered and floured parchment and pour in batter---this will fill 1 medium and 1 small loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F.---45 minutes for small, 1 hour for medium. Unmold after cooling for 10 minutes, then cool completely (very important).

In a pitcher, mix as much Grand Marnier and Amaretto as you like, then paint the cakes with them. Wrap and store in a cool place until Christmas, drizzling the cakes weekly with the liquor mixture.

Eat in good health and with thanks to the good God, Creator of oranges and almonds.

[Angel]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
That's good to know, babybear - maybe I'll just stick to dried apricots then, which I usually have around anyway! [Smile]

I've just done up a batch of apricot/applesauce for the wee wan, but it's yummy enough for me (so I sometimes steal a bite or two).

1 eating apple, diced
5 dried ready-to-eat apricots, cut into small bits

Simmer until soft and then mash. It's good enough to eat as is, but you could add cinnamon or nutmeg and maybe a little sugar if you wanted!

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And that is soooo not what I come here to post. But I've just remembered ... Kelly, I don't know if you've done the red beans and rice yet, but I've just done some for dinner and tweaked the Emeril recipe a little (for one I didn't want to serve 8 and for two I didn't have 4 hours to cook).

I substituted tinned kidney beans for the dry beans which actually halved the cooking time on the recipe (not to mention I didn't have to soak the beans overnight), because the beans were much softer and were able to be mashed after an hour. The beans were also in a flavoured sauce (chilli and coriander) which added a bit more flavour to the dish. I used bacon instead of ham (it was what I had on hand) and chorizo as the sausage (again for a bit of extra kick). It is very, very yummy and was easy peasy to make.

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:

Warning, Apricots have laxative properties that beat figs, licorice and prunes into a cock hat. Even people who are unaffected by the others note the effect of too many apricots.

Jengie

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016