homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » SF - How far is too far? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SF - How far is too far?
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How far is too far?

Well, an intresting report Steve, the S*** word shocked me the most, but I guess for most higher-church-than-me-people it was the throwing down of the elements that would cause real offence. What were the reactions of people after the service? What impressions were people left with?

Was the tension between God being "in the dirt" and God being perfect and pure explored? and in what ways? (or is this for a later event?)

Thanks for another great report, I really look forward to each new Small Fire!

Neil

{Fixed Subject added URL}

[ 18. December 2002, 12:13: Message edited by: Mrs Tubbs ]

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The s-word doesn't bother me.

As for the Communion I work on the principle of intention. Would I have done what they did. Probably not, but was God offended by it? I doubt it.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for fixing my stupitity, I e-mailed wibbs, but you need not bother now

I agree, I doubt God Cares about that sort of thing, but I was intrested in what others thought. Are the elements a taboo to people, or can you throw them around?

(the S-word bother me because I was brought up not to swear! But I do when I feel something is worth swearing for. But was Vaux just using the word to be "radical"??)

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it means #God is with us in the rough things of life, to use a colloquialism the 'shitty' things, the tough times, then I go along with it completely. It is sometimes much more honest and engages with reality more than the 'I'm so happeeee, Clap,clap, Jesus loves meeeeee' fixed plastic smile type of worship when we really feel terrible.
I think watching the wine and bread being dashed to the floor would be shocking but also quite moving the first time you saw it. But it would only work once. For an approach like that to have impact it would have to be used sparingly, with a different angle each time.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ej
Shipmate
# 2259

- Posted      Profile for ej   Author's homepage   Email ej   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I appreciated the article, if only to see a more extreme use of alt. worship... And while I may have found myself not so much offended as shocked by some of the actions/words used, I think the whole flow of the service would reconcile me with it and justify it..
Those words about trust are very valid - It's easier to take people on that journey step by step, than to just dump them in the s---, so to speak.

Although I've also learnt to sometimes err on the side of caution with 'shocking' techniques - The aim/intention is good, but sometimes it undoes itself. One sermon I preached contain a very tame swear word, and i know several people after that refused to listen to any of the rest of the content, or any other message i preached for months afterwards.. While I stand by my decision, I've learnt perhaps to work out when a 'shock' tactic might not be necessary and could just alienate. They still have their place though!

--------------------
For my next trick I shall turn this water into funk...
...a little breathing-space...

Posts: 426 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also read the report with interest. I should note to begin with that "alternative" is a not a word anyone would ever use to describe me.

I did not find using the words "God" and "shit" in the same sentence offensive.

Flinging about the Communion elements was off-putting to me at first, but later I thought it was just rather stagey. A gimmick. So yes, I suppose I found it offensive, but not in the sense of desecrating, but in the sense of being manipulated by dramatic staginess.

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
I suppose I found it offensive, but not in the sense of desecrating, but in the sense of being manipulated by dramatic staginess.

Now, that really surprised me. I had just assumed that it would bring about a heart attack to anyone with a 'high' understanding of communion. I would have been quite taken aback, and would have been worried about the sensibilities of those around me. But I would have like to have been there.

Just imagne the shock effect that Jesus' words would have had that first time. I was thinking about communion a few days ago and how stylised and ritualised it has become. And how small is the similarity there is between the original event, and whaat happens in churches now.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was quite interesting. The flinging around of the Communion elements reminded me of a description of a Black Mass I once read, but for Catholics who believe in the Real Presence, it would probably be difficult to take this particular service seriously as a Mass because it is simply too "fringe".

Chorister has a point about the shock value being something you could really only do once, and I would wonder about someone who attended this kind of service on a weekly basis.

On the other hand, I can still vividly remember going into a church after years of absence from Christianity and looking at a crucifix and being horrified by the image of pain and torture it depicted. It was almost as if I saw it for the first time, and I wondered how people could worship it.

I'm not bothered about the "God and ****" bit. This is in its own way a bit of a Zen-like statement trying to get its audience to cut through the layers of images and preconceptions and experience the reality behind it.

Having said all this, I think this kind of service is treading a very fine line between acceptability and straying into the darker side of religion, and I could see that if not handled carefully, this might well appeal to the wrong sort of people for the wrong sort of reasons.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have loved to have been there! MY ( limited ) experience of Vaux is that they relate very clearly to an urban environemnt. This means that they have a hard edge that many other alt services don't.

I think the imagery of the spilled wine and scattered bread would be very powerful - I immediately try to consider ways in which I could use this idea. It is shocking, almost as much as Jesus original comments "This is my body ... eat" and "This is my blood ... drink".

I don't think they went too far. Quite. And that is the point - to not quite go too far. It is a very difficult line to tread, and I have no doubt that they overstep it on occasions. But they are gritty and urban, and that works for them.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charismanic
Apprentice
# 2200

- Posted      Profile for Charismanic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm beginning to try and think up ways to break the bread in a more real way. To make it more torn than torn. Any ideas?

In a "free" church it seems a bit tougher to shock people in the same way, as there is less respect, and no set way of serving communion in the first place.

I can see this working well with a priest, altar and rites and all that (been there), but how can it be done in an NFI church?

Posts: 45 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So yes, I suppose I found it offensive, but not in the sense of desecrating, but in the sense of being manipulated by dramatic staginess.

because there's never any dramatic staginess in high church worship, is there...

maybe this is changing the subject a little, but i sometimes find church services full of fine robes and gold offensive. but... we each find a style of worship that has resonance for us. that's what i see vaux doing.

long may alt.worship continue to upset people - not as a knee jerk reaction, but because that's what the Good News does. perhaps we should rebrand it the Diffucult News? (hmm, i feel a worship idea coming on...)

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Posts: 992 | From: sunny scarborough, uk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Is that Kester as in "Kester Frewin", Beca's brother?)

I don't have a problem with the staginess of the communion action. After all, communion services are by definition "stagey" - bowing, raising the host, kissing the altar - all these things are staged. What I liked about it was that it resonates so much with the acts of the priest in Leviticus - the blood and the gunk was to be physically hurled at the altar and the floor. It is far more representative of the crucifixion than our polite little fractions. Of course, you should only do this sparingly, otherwise it becomes commonplace and loses its impact.

The writing of prayers on toilet paper, however, was...er..crap.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Septimus
Shipmate
# 500

- Posted      Profile for Septimus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I was thinking about communion a few days ago and how stylised and ritualised it has become. And how small is the similarity there is between the original event, and whaat happens in churches now.

bb

Surely the description in the article portrays a ritual no less stylised than any to be found in a "normal" church?

When I saw this article on the front page of the Ship I dived in with interest so full marks to the alternative nature of the content for capturing my attention.

Like Kieran I found the description of the service uncomfortably close to a Black Mass and not something I would want to attend myself. For the record though, the 'I'm so happeeee, Clap,clap, Jesus loves meeeeee' fixed plastic smile type of worship mentioned by Chorister would fill me with equal (possibly greater) horror.

I would like to add my support to HT's comments about the sheer theatricality of the thing; something underlined for me by the writer's use of the word "audience" in the article; the whole thing smacked to me of performance art or devised theatre of the sort churned out by fellow students during my Uni days.

As far as it relating to an urban environment, Steve, do you mean that they reflect their surroundings (i.e. Vauxhall in all its concrete splendour) purely as an asthetic choice or as a means of appealing to their audience? If the latter this would seem to me to be slightly patronising in a "Oh you're urban aren't you, oh well, no Mozart for you I'm afraid." sort of way.

The thing that I find most distrurbing about this article is the central message regarding our relationship to God, where the writer says

quote:
Our concern for God's purity has placed him out of our reach, detached him from our world. We are tempted to believe that the only way to seek God is to leave behind our present compromised circumstances.

What he seems to be saying is that oh well, if you can't change never mind, just carry on as you are and God will change instead. No more effort on your part required, old boy. Perhaps I am lacking the context of the service - it would be interesting to know what sort of prayers were said about the toilet paper.

Again, as Kieran says, this service could be completely misunderstood or even misused by certain people. It is interesting to note that the writer

quote:
asked Vaux's permission before writing about this service, because by doing so I am exposing it to an audience with whom this trust has not been established, and who may not be used to such strong imagery.

How is trust established? Does a prospective worshipper have to attend an interview? If the audience is only there on a need to know basis, does this mean that the same group of people congratualte each other on their alternativeness every week? If so it reminds me rather of the way contemporary artists, in a desperate attempt to prove how clever and different they are, have moved towards producing works which are only enjoyed and understood by other artists; breaking barriers can sometimes lead to elitism and inacessibility.

But well done to Steve Collins for putting the article up there; thought-provoking stuff.

S.

--------------------
"The man of 'perfect manners' is he who is calmly courteous in all circumstances, as attentive outwardly to the plain and the elderly as he is to the young and the pretty."

Mrs. Humphrey, Manners for Men

Posts: 442 | From: England's Garden Gnome | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Septimus:
As far as it relating to an urban environment, Steve, do you mean that they reflect their surroundings (i.e. Vauxhall in all its concrete splendour) purely as an asthetic choice or as a means of appealing to their audience? If the latter this would seem to me to be slightly patronising in a "Oh you're urban aren't you, oh well, no Mozart for you I'm afraid." sort of way.

My experience is that they reflect God in Vauxhall - that is, and aesthetic choice, about worship that reflects their environment, rather than tries to deny it or escape from it. I don't think it is patronising, although it can be. I think it is challenging, especially to those ( of us ) more used to comfortable middle class worship ( alternative and otherwise ).

But this comes from a very limited experience, and a positive reaction to them. I like their challenge to find God in the concrete jungle, because, for a lot of people, that s where they spend much of their lives.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you build trust within a congregation by worshipping together. by being there. alt.worship is primarily about community, about worshiping, exploring faith and being creative together.

it can be difficult to look in on an alt.worship service and fully appreciate what's happening with having been present at the planning, at previous services, in the pub with them, sharing stories as part of that group etc.
of course, some services are very accessible and you can just turn up.

although vaux can sometimes give the impression of being painfully cool, to describe them as elitist or performers would be to misunderstand what alt.worship is about.

one of the reasons people like Steve C share their experiences in alt.worship is that many of us feel that alt.w has much to share with the wider church. we hope there might be a wider use and celebration of creativity in christian worship - vaux's 'god in the shit' is one little piece of creativity. you may wish to walk away from this, but let's not start using phrases like 'black mass'.

it often takes guts and faith to share these sacred moments with the wider world.

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Hooker's Trick

# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bb - I really want(ed) to post a discussion of this in MW as well, but I fear it would cause mass cardiac failure in little Anglo-Catholic clusters in New York and London.

Steve - I don't understand the urban comment. I live in a city (albeit a very pastoral one). I do not think that Vaux related very clearly to ME as an urban person.

Adrian. Oh dear, yet again. It is a common misconception to see High Church worship as a drama acted out in the chancel. It is a drama, but the stage is the nave, and the actors are the people, not the priests. In any case, that drama is become familiar with time and repetition. Although one may well be manipulated by it (am I manipulated by Merbecke? Well of course, but at least I expect to be and acknowledge it) one is not usually left with the impression that one has purposefully had one's emotions toyed with on purpose to produce a desired result.

When this happens in the theatre or cinema we are likley to dismiss the result as "melodramatic".

I agree with Septimus's charcterisation fo Vaux as performance art, and it does remind me of the sort of thing one sees on video-tape at the Tate.

I guess I'm not sure what it is FOR. As Adrian admitted, he can be shocked and attended by going to Mass. So presumably it's about more than that.

quote:
it can be difficult to look in on an alt.worship service and fully appreciate what's happening with having been present at the planning, at previous services, in the pub with them, sharing stories as part of that group etc.

I don't understand this bit at all. All church is about community (hopefully). I like the fact (indeed rely on it) that I can go into a church in Bradford, or Kalamazoo, or Bombay or Kentish Town and fully appreciate what's happening without having been in on the planning. Fortunately, Archbish Tom did the planning for me 470-odd years ago.

So I'm back to what is it all for?

HT

Sue of Visions
Shipmate
# 1130

- Posted      Profile for Sue of Visions   Author's homepage   Email Sue of Visions   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly an interesting service. One I'm not sure I'd have dared to have put on, but one I think I would have been moved by if I had attended. I remember the very first alt. service I ever went to had this huge sheet just inside the door saying "Cut the Crap".
On the communion thing, I'm pretty high church myself, but in my musing I've sometimes toyed with the thought of dropping and smashing the wineglass. Even videoing it while we're at it(I think if I had noone else to consider I would view it as being OK as long as it came *before* the official consecration bit). But we have other people to consider and so I probably wouldn't for that reason. As a high church person there is no way I would do it afterwards. Its bad enough trying to get our parent church to treat the elements with a bit of respect as it is. Our last vicar was lobbing them around the table at Staff communion as if God was a rugby ball. And there is the problem of the black mass thing. It would totally freak one person I know who has bad memories about communion at the best of times.

I like the idea of using of Serrano's stuff. His crucifix image is so beautiful. Sometmies I wonder what would have happened if he had titled it differently. If he had made some comment about the way the human race treats Christ by p*ing on everything he stands for then I'm sure less people would have been bothered.

I did have this thought last year of getting my husband (who we have used a number of times as a model for Jesus as he has the classic long hair and beard), a fishtank and an action man dressed as a photographer. Photograph Malcolm dropping the action man in the fishtank full of orange liquid and title it "And also with you"

Posts: 162 | From: york.uk. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Septimus:
Surely the description in the article portrays a ritual no less stylised than any to be found in a "normal" church?

Sorry, I was not comparing the Vaux thingy with how things are done in my church. I simply saying that I had been thinking about how removed communion is from the Last Supper.

HT, I also thought about starting a discussion in MW, but just like you decided against it.

I have had very little experience of alt.worship. But I have no problems being part of an audience, or being involved in a performance. That is the vehicle, dare I say it, in a similar way to the Liturgy.

I really like the idea that we have made God too pure and inaccessable. The incarnation was about God coming down to us, and being in the shit with us.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Random thoughts with no particular connection to each other:

The thing I liked about this report was that it brought some people to Small Fire and they started discussing stuff.

Vaux have always struck me as laid back rather than theatrical. But I've only got being at some of their services to go on.

The book of psalms would use the word 'shit' if we were willing to translate it as such.

I get offended by the wrong things most times I go to church.

dave

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wibblethorpe:
The book of psalms would use the word 'shit' if we were willing to translate it as such.

and paul's letters too.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

oooh no, I cant see Paul swearing! where an earth would the word Shit fit into his letters? Do you know any greek to back this up stoo?

Neil

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I can understand some reservations about the details, I felt this was one of the most exciting and important things I've read about in a long time.

"God is in the Shit" is a challenging statement. It fits with these two: "Shit happens" and "God is".

If you're aiming for the Truth, I don't think you can go 'too far' - although we all need to be aware that our aim might not be as good as we like to believe. I suppose people who are wary of self-conscious theatricality are bothered by a perceived lack of humility.

Shock levels are an unreliable measure - I've met people who are shocked by the use of real bread instead of wafers.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Wibblethorpe:
The thing I liked about this report was that it brought some people to Small Fire and they started discussing stuff.

I don't normally come into SF. Simply because it tears me apart to hear of what is happening in other places and to know that nothing like that is happening around here.

Perhaps when we get a new minister I might raise the subject...

bb

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
oooh no, I cant see Paul swearing! where an earth would the word Shit fit into his letters? Do you know any greek to back this up stoo?

Neil

"PHP 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them shit, that I may gain Christ"

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

- Posted      Profile for steve collins   Author's homepage   Email steve collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
phew! quite a reaction...

this reply is all backwards...

ed's right about paul using the word shit. although the word crap sounds better because it alliterates.

vaux were using it because we all use it rather a lot. it feels false not to use it when that's the word we mean. i'm sure we've said 'shit' on the mic at grace, we just haven't projected it on the wall!

i'm mystified about the comments re black mass - esp not having been to one! the throwing down of the bread and wine just came across as a powerful reminder of what gets tidied away - that christ's body was broken, that his blood was spilt. we're not celebrating something pleasant here. but there was a tenderness in the way people ate and drank. some dipped their bread in the spilt pool rather than drinking the unspilt cups of wine. i think such intense reminders of the brutality of what christ went through bring us to renewed awe and appreciation of the cost of our redemption. that was really the point of the service. we make light of god's suffering love.

re performance art:
that's certainly a point of reference, but it's one shared by a lot of the people who go to vaux. they would be flattered to be compared to something at the tate! some are artists, some dancers, some actors, etc. london has a thriving art scene, it's fairly central to the culture. so it comes naturally for them to do that sort of thing. and personally, i did a lot of drama in small churches long before i got involved in alt worship so i'm used to the idea. at least vaux integrate it into the service!!

re urban:
a major point in vaux's theology is that church culture privileges the rural over the urban - implies so often that we'd all be closer to god if we lived in the country. but most of us live, irrevocably, in cities. so we have to seek and relate to god there too. vaux are trying to work out how to create liturgies that don't just reject or ignore the city. they are doing this for themselves - they all live in central london, it's their own need to relate to god in the city they're working on, not a clever idea for the sake of other people.

quote:
How is trust established?

by making church with and for a regular bunch of people for several years, until you know how they react to things and what helps them meet god.

quote:
Was the tension between God being "in the dirt" and God being perfect and pure explored? and in what ways? (or is this for a later event?)

this may be explored later. but i think they're working from the viewpoint that we all know too well about god being perfect and pure, that that message has been overdone. so 'the season of dirt' isn't about balance, it's to explore one direction for a while.

you can all read kester [brewin]'s introductory speech at this link, it'll give you a better idea.

Posts: 287 | From: london | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

quote:

I don't understand this bit at all. All church is about community (hopefully). I like the fact (indeed rely on it) that I can go into a church in Bradford, or Kalamazoo, or Bombay or Kentish Town and fully appreciate what's happening without having been in on the planning. Fortunately, Archbish Tom did the planning for me 470-odd years ago.

So I'm back to what is it all for?

I think you've answered your own question there Hooker. Archbish Tom did your planning for you. We however would prefer to plan worship together in the here and now. Plan it this week rather than have something form 470-odd years ago. We feel this process can be as worthwhile as the worship itself. That's what it is for.

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine that hearing the words "Dearly beloved" on a Sunday morning in 1549 was pretty shocking to some, HT.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really want God to be in the dirt with you and you to be with him then go to Mass today. At mass you will have a little piece of dirt rubbed onto your forehead in the shape of a cross with the words said to each individually 'Remember thou art dust and unto dust shalt thou return'. Then receive the Body and Blood of Our Lord which he gave for all people to receive and give thanks for, not for it to be chucked over the floor. What sort of statement is that? 'You died and rose again for us O Lord, you gave your body and blood for us all O Lord but to show you that you have to be in the dirt with us we are going to throw you on the floor and tread you down. No offence. Oh yes and then we'll do it again but this time not throw you on the floor. After all, O Lord, it's much more important for us to keep you in our control and tell you what and where to be than to give thanks for your presence'.

Just how much shit was there at St Peter's by the way? I mean real, turdiferous crap. None perchance? Symbolism has to be backed in reality. Don't use terms you then can't back in reality. You don't wipe shit on your foreheads but you do use ash. Therefore today is Ash Wednesday. Your little gathering was not called 'Shit Saturday' is suppose. If you are going to employ symbolism you have to learn how to use it properly not just for effect.

Go to Mass not playschool.

And stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Cosmo

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:

you can't put a cartwheel on a modern car. we're just trying to find the most approriate wheel for the vehicle of our life.

(boy i love metaphors )

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

what was it jesus said about becoming little children?

(off to play with jesus)

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

- Posted      Profile for steve collins   Author's homepage   Email steve collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this just in from jonathan rabagliati:

"I have to alert you to minor inaccuracy (that actually for some had a large part in the impact of the service)
It was not me that picked up the pieces
I walked away

And interestingly Kester, Suse and others looked at each other slightly horrified at the gap in proceeding I opened up as I left the scene. I had only told one person the intention for that and the following bit. They confessed afterwards, that that moment of unknowing, actually made the whole thing not just a procedural run through, but an impactful act to them.

It was Vanessa (a woman) who came forward, rising from the void, who picked up the pieces and poured out more wine, and encouraged people to come forward."

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
If you are going to employ symbolism you have to learn how to use it properly not just for effect.

The symbolism of brokenness and being poured out was done properly, not in the clinical way it is often done. It's about broken bodies and poured out life.

The sh*t was not symbolism, but expression. To have backed that with piles of dung would have been inappropriate and unnecessary ( and unpleasant, but that's by the by ).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:

Cosmo seems to be making the assumption that Christian Faith and Christian Worship are seperable. However this is a false dichotomy. You cannot seperate an individuals faith from they way they worship. You cannot say to someone, "You are a christian, you must worship like this, it is Biblical/Traditional/NewTestament/Whatever", because once you seperate Faith and Worship the Faith is changed.

As for reinventing the wheel that strikes me as a voyage of great discovery, and a suitable focus for the christian life. It is perhaps another way of expressing our living tradition.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

elsi

Live from Elsewhere
# 2098

- Posted      Profile for elsi     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have found the article and subsequent discussion really interesting.

The issues of corporate creation are key to my experience and valuing of alt.worship. I think the point re developed trust is also very relevant and well made.

Just wondering out loud however about the problem of balancing this with the idea of 'public' worship. There seems to me to be a tension between being an open group and being able to create worship as a group in an established group trust situation.

Then again I guess similar issues apply to any style of worship. Being an outsider is always an issue for any style or tradition. I guess it's just that some of the groupings are bigger?

just thinking really...

--------------------
the cap fits - I'm wearing it

Posts: 272 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

it's interesting, this high church thing...

i can't help thinking that vaux are much more in the high church tradition of taking the sacraments seriously than the usual bland denatured stuff we get.

and i think cosmo shoots his own argument in the foot. if dust and ashes can be reenacted [we've done this at Grace, it's great] why not spilt blood or a broken body? even if you believe in the Real Presence [and Vaux certainly believe that god is present at their worship, by whatever means], what happened to the bread and wine was nothing compared to the trampling of christ every day by our sin. if it reminds us of that for a moment it has done us a service. it certainly cuts for a moment through the numbness that enables us to take the bread and wine without thinking about the cost. sure we talk about the cost, but it's something else to feel it.

none of this was done lightly or trivially. Vaux aren't theological or liturgical innocents. 'chucked all over the floor' is not what happened. if they had chucked it all over the floor for the sake of cheap shock i'd have reported so [and wouldn't have been very pleased].

Hooker's Trick

# 89

quote:
Originally posted by Adrian:
I think you've answered your own question there Hooker...

We feel this process can be as worthwhile as the worship itself. That's what it is for.

Yes, I know I answered my own question -- it was a leading question anyway.

I'm interesting in contrasting the "process can be as worthwhile" with statements made elsewhere about another process -- the formulation of Common Worship, where a very typical reaction is that the process was tedious, bureaucratised and flawed, and that liturgy-by-commitee is inevitably terrible.

Perhaps Vaux should go to Synod and the Synod should trot down to Vaux.

By the way, how is "Vaux" pronounced? Is the x silent as in faux, or pronounced as in Vauxhall?

HT

steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

pronounced vox not voh.

this is the actual Communion prayer spoken by Jonathan:

Strung up on a tree and abandoned to suffering. Racked with pain to the point where the living cells of his body could not sustain themselves in the face of the torture.

A crucified man. Worn down. Heavy with mud and with stubble; thin and dirty; a haunted man, filled with uneasiness and exhaustion.

Ugly, rejected, betrayed, cast out. A man who from the depths of this hell could truly say:
"I understand your pain and suffering." "I know I have been there."

Incredibly only the day before, this same man had addressed the companions that he had shared his life in community with. In the course of a passover meal - a traditional Jewish festival - he had blessed and held before them bread and wine

and so standing here now we have the chance to confront again the staggering impact of that act, performed by that illegitimate Jew

I am now holding this bread and wine before you

This is the body of that Jew which was broken, which became dirt

this is his blood spilt

that fell to the ground

[incidentally, jonathan isn't ordained. so for the high church people this wasn't the sacrament anyway. does this make a difference to how you react? of course for vaux this was the sacrament.]

steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

sorry to double-post, i wanted to pick up what elsi said before it got lost in the torrent:

quote:
Just wondering out loud however about the problem of balancing this with the idea of 'public' worship. There seems to me to be a tension between being an open group and being able to create worship as a group in an established group trust situation.

i was thinking about this as i got up, before i saw your mail. i made some notes, here they are:

worship as a service to the general public put on by a small team of professionals
who have to produce a broadly acceptable product
like mcdonalds - the same everywhere to reassure people
worship divorced from community

vs
worship as an activity produced by a community primarily for themselves and their friends
can be much more specifically tailored
the assumption is that those who don't like it can go elsewhere

if worship were routinely the expression of community then people would not worship outside their communities

the hope is that people 'away from home' will appreciate difference, or at least make due allowance for it.

the alternative, which we currently have, is that everywhere strives to be blandly acceptable by removing anything that might be of particular interest to a particular person;
or, like mcdonalds 'doing' ethnic cuisine, makes token gestures of inclusiveness by reducing other cultures to bite-sized cliches.

maybe they'll end up as an article somewhere.

Hooker's Trick

# 89

quote:
Originally posted by steve collins:
worship as an activity produced by a community primarily for themselves and their friends can be much more specifically tailored the assumption is that those who don't like it can go elsewhere

When I read this it made me think of the ECUSA. Which represents less than 2% of the churchgoing population in America, makes very little effort at outreach, and basically contents itself with its home-grown prayer-book designed for it's own community.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read the article and have been lurking on the tread with interest ...

BTW, BP used "Piss Christ" as an image and it passed without comment - partly because we didn't tell the attendees what it was ... Maybe part of the controversy is because of the title rather than the image itself. Just a thought

Steve, your comments about the service as a participant and your discussions with the planning group at Vaux probably give you greater insight than the average attendee. It certainly gave me plenty to think about next time I plan a Communion service. [But given that it's my first one at my new church I think that we won't be doing something quite so full on]

It would also be interesting to hear from people actually involved in the planning of the service - what they indended, the reactions they got etc - as this would be interesting as well.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re. the actual communion prayer spoken by Jonathan: Bad creative writing is perhaps better kept with in a small group of friends. When the air gets to it, it stinks.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jonny baker
Apprentice
# 1197

- Posted      Profile for jonny baker   Author's homepage   Email jonny baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to take a slightly different tack. Sociologist/anthropologist Mary Douglas points out that dirt is ‘matter out of place’. That’s to say for example that shoes by the door are not dirt but on the table they are. Or food on the plate is clean but on the wall is dirt. So what gets labelled as dirt turns out to be nothing less than about controlling the social order, the way we arrange things. So to mess with dirt in a culture is to mess with how things are ordered. Zygmunt Baumann extends this argument to say that often a culture labels strangers or outsiders as dirt. And Lewis Hyde extends the argument to the role of the artist as a trickster who messes with dirt. I found this whole idea inspiring and it made me think that Jesus messed with what his culture labelled as dirt (clean/unclean) as a way of subverting the social arrangements – touching lepers, healing on the sabbath and so on. This also raised the question for me as to what is considered clean and unclean in church or what is ‘dirt’ and how can we mess with it? It seems to me that the social arrangements in church are badly in need of a little subversion so I take my hat off to vaux for showing that messing with dirt certainly seems to have the desired effect because in my view they are precisely threatening the way we order things in the church.

i also think that it's a vulnerable thing to have your worship dissected in public.... hope vaux can handle it. keep it up guys!

Posts: 11 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cosmo advised us:
Go to Mass

Yes, it must have been some other Cosmo who was lecturing us about what it means to be an Anglican.

I agree with Jonny's final comment in the above post - thanks to all the people who were involved in the service.

Amos, I for one didn't find that the most helpful post of the day.

dave

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

Thank Steve, From reading the other bits and pieces from the service I have really been stirred to think about the whole concept of Christ's spilled blood, and how we celebrate/remember it.

It is so important that we re-invent worship all the time, otherwise we can do things without thinking about the meanings. This is a classic example of mind stretching stuff!

Thoughts about the report keeping popping into my head at random times (its not often I can say that about my Sunday services!)

Neil

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm sorry, after thinking about this for a bit, i have to say i feel it contains a strong element of "oooh... look how daring and naughty we can be".

and even though to me the elements are symbols only, i don't like the idea of deliberatly throwing them on the ground. maybe precisely because they are only symbols... after all, symbolically, what does that say we are doing?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

but... as far as i understand it... it's NOT a symbol of what we're doing, but what God did!

--------------------
This space left blank

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, and then we are throwing that on the floor, as though it were trash?!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

no... from what i read in the article, i took the throwing of the communion on the floor as a symbol of God being broken on the cross.

it was painful, and shocking, and messy.

--------------------
This space left blank

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it seems to me that there are two types of people on here...
those that divide the world into two types of people...

no no not that

There are people for whom the older forms and liturgies still mean something very deep and emotional, and who therefore don't need more than them to feel moved, but who feel bad when other people do something in a different way.

Then there are people for whom these forms don't do very much emotionally, or don't make them think enough, and who are moved/caused to think by things that are more in their everyday "idiom".

It may relate to the kind of world you live in (as our Doug says, a Radio 3 world or a Radio 1 world - classical music vs dance music for the non-Brits), or it may be a newness-seeking part of ones personality, or something. But most of the people here seem to be saying, my own type of liturgy moves me. Yours doesn't particularly.

And Amos, no that wasn't helpful.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hostie:
But most of the people here seem to be saying, my own type of liturgy moves me. Yours doesn't particularly.

Some of us, who have been lurking, have been forced to think about Communion from a new perspective, and to question our reactions. So maybe it's OK that people have highly polarised opinions and state them firmly. Discussions don't have to lead to unanimous agreement. If people react as we might expect them to, given what we know of their background, then that's fair enough. It doesn't devalue this discussion at all.

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016