homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Old English Thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Old English Thread
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My heart goes out to you.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
I guess the Anglo Saxons didn't have organs.

The English folk of old indeed had them.

--------------------
Foržon we sealon efestan žas Easterlican žing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, žaet we magon cuman to žam Easterlican daege, že aa byš, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[URL=Most likely not the A-Ss though]web pagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_(music)[/URL]
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Sorry, I did try to edit that.
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WD, I am afraid that the UBB does not like the parenthasis in the URL. You might try using tinyurl, however.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my, I forgot where I was. At least two of those words are ones we may not write.

Forgive me.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgiven! [Smile]

(No, I know it wasn't me you were speaking to. [Biased] By the way, I asked a CofC woman, but she hadn't heard anyone saying those sayings you spoke of, sadly. I love such pithy sayings.)

MSHB, good to hear about the great get-together in the Shire.

We wanted to go to an English-speaking church on Sunday, though we are not at home. We boldly went where we were told church would be, at an inn, even though my husband feared it would be the kind of church he doesn't like much, with those short songs, and lots of clapping, and hell-fire preaching and feeling trapped. But far from that, it wasn't there at all! I rang the preacher whose name was given as head, and he said, oh, we shifted to another inn. So we didn't go at all. We went for a long walk and read a psalm.

Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bush baptist:
HB, good to hear about the great get-together in the Shire.

Two folk, who had never been to our church before but live in our town, came to our church that day. They always go to a church many miles away, but (I don't know why) they happened to drop in at ours instead. Maybe they were running late for their church, or didn't feel like a long drive that day, or wanted something new for once. Any way...

They were amazed to find such a big church right there in our little township! We had to laugh - we are so much smaller every other week. This was a "once in thirty years" gathering. I hope someone told them that we are not that big at all. Of all the Sundays to drop in and see what we are like ...

quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
... and you 'deem who is right' or 'speak for', not 'choose'.

"Choose" - from Old English ceosan.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
... and you 'deem who is right' or 'speak for', not 'choose'.

"Choose" - from Old English ceosan.
I knew that. [Big Grin]

[ETA: The more forward thinking folks now hold most of the seats in the upper house in Richmond. This is good news indeed.]

[ 10. November 2007, 14:43: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
[ETA: The more forward thinking folks now hold most of the seats in the upper house in Richmond. This is good news indeed.] [/QB]

I take it that we are talking about *the* Richmond - home town of the southern lands that fought in 1861-1865 (and yes, I do know about the New World of long ago, having been to school two years on the western side of your big land, in the town with the Golden Gate Bridge).

Been to New York, but never got down South, if you know what I mean (and I am talking about Lee and the other Men in Gray who fought them thar Northerners). Would have loved to have seen a few of the fields where they fought. In the Great Southern Land we have never had such big fights - nothing that lasted more than a day or so. So our tales of long ago are mostly boring - who found which waterway first and named it.

It is indeed better to live in boring times, but no one wants to read about them afterwards!

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Yes, MSHB, *that* Richmond. Our land was named for the unwed English Queen. I live about twenty minutes from a place known, in the tongue of the first folk, as Appomattox. You may have heard of it. [Big Grin]

The names of our land bring to mind many fights from those days. Half of them happened here. Most of the rest were in the neighborhood of the Big Bend River. The first folk's tongue calls it Tennessee.

[ETA: found a bad word. Or two.]

[ 13. November 2007, 03:00: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the unwed English Queen.
Not only unwed, but a maiden!

and as for
quote:
better to live in boring times, but no one wants to read about them
[Eek!] I'm astounded. No silks, and no swords, maybe, but still lots of good tales -- all they need is a good teller. Or do you think a good tale must have a long, bloody fight?
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
and as for
quote:
better to live in boring times, but no one wants to read about them
[Eek!] I'm astounded. No silks, and no swords, maybe, but still lots of good tales -- all they need is a good teller. Or do you think a good tale must have a long, bloody fight?
This raises so many thoughts that I don't know where to begin.

I do think that someone who grew up in the New World and had seen many of its sights and read much about the times there long ago - the fighting for freedom from England, the fighting between North and South, the fighting between British settlers and the folk who were there first, and so on - someone raised on all this would find our tales rather, um, low key. At least, I did back when I was ten and eleven (or at least, what we were taught in school here at that time was more boring than what I learnt and saw over there - I will say that the lower schools were much better over there, but the middle and high schools were better here).

I am talking about a time in my life that was full of wonderful sights and new things to learn - so much input in two years: we saw sheer cliffs over a thousand feet high, a tree so big that you could drive through it, bears and deer, icicles four feet long, and much much more. We went all over the west side of the land - from the "British" land to the north, all the way down to the lands where they don't speak English. It left a great big mark on my mind and my likes, and I can still feel it now so many years later.

So my likes are shaped by those early times, when I first went overseas and was, you might say, overwhelmed by all I went through. I can understand what you mean, but those tales from our land were not what shaped my likes in those key years.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

The story tellers of the New World say that you cannot understand this land today without knowing about the War of North and South. It is what made us no longer many lands, but one big land.

Before we would speak "the Uncleft Lands are..". After we would say, "the Uncleft Lands is.." It may seem odd to british ears, but it says a truth about us.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Before we would speak "the Uncleft Lands are..". After we would say, "the Uncleft Lands is.." It may seem odd to british ears, but it says a truth about us.

Ah, "out of many, one" (although this needs to be spoken in the tongue of old Rome).

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
In the Great Southern Land we have never had such big fights - nothing that lasted more than a day or so.

Our fight of North and South lasted over four years. And more men died in that fight than in all the other fights this Land has ever been in put together, over six hundred thousand on each side!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
quote:
In the Great Southern Land we have never had such big fights - nothing that lasted more than a day or so.

Our fight of North and South lasted over four years. And more men died in that fight than in all the other fights this Land has ever been in put together, over six hundred thousand on each side!
One of the Southern fighting ships came to our land - and they were the last Southern fighters to give up (the ship stopped fighting in the 8th month of 1865, and gave itself up three months later) - as you can see here.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Several of my forefathers fought in those days. All of them wore grey. My great grandfather's oldest brother was taken by the northern men at a stronghold named Donaldson. He and his men were taken up north and held there for a time. They were let go in a land named for the Father of Waters.

His band of fighters were then sent to a spot called by the first folks "Chickamauga". In the fighting there, he lost his left arm. He did not leave his band of men even then, but fought on until they were all taken at the end of the fighting.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Several

French, from Rome.

quote:
a stronghold named Donaldson
have heard of that stronghold, I know I have read about it.

quote:
a land named for the Father of Waters.
I had to look that up - I did not know that "Father of Waters" meant "Ole Man Waterway" - Mark Twain's beloved pathway through the middle of your land. What you learn!

My daughter has lately read "Huckleberry Finn" for high school. I also read that book at high school. We learn about great books from England and from the New World over here, as well as books from our own land. My daughter has read "The Great Gatsby" and - from further north - "Anne of Green Rooftops", or whatever it is called (though that was not for schoolwork, it is a greatly loved book among the young ladies).

Had a working bee at our church yesterday. Went well - much done getting the big house ready for the summer time. Many folk come at summer to stop a while at our church house, as it is right on the strand overlooking a wide water and headlands on the other side. We are not on the big seas, but rather on an inland waterway (only a little way inland - you can see the big sea if you look down the waterway). Many folk from this and other lands come to our house to have a holiday - some who tell others the gospel or who are shepherds of churches. So it was good to get the house ready for this great inflow over the summer.

Our summer begins in about two weeks time, on the first day of the twelfth month. The house is fully booked from now on, I believe.

"It's summer-time, summer-time, sum-sum-summer-time ... sum-mer ti-i-i-ime!"

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

My family have dwelt in the Land of the Big Bend River since 1789 or so. My mother's house is in the far western burg of that land, named for the home of the old Egyptian kings. Her house is but three miles from the Father of Waters.

My father worked in a building where he could look out across that River. He made drawings which showed builders how to put together houses. One of the buildings he drew was the church where I was put under water and made a Christ-follower.

His fore fathers dwelt in the neighborhood of what was first called Nashborough (yes, that is how it was written). It was later called something more Frenchish. One of those fore fathers was the first English speaker to winter over in that land.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Last Saturday, my wife and I cooked for almost 90 elder folks who dwell in our building of flats. I cooked twelve birds (bigger than chickens, the kind that come from the New World).

This Thursday, we will drive to my wife's parent's house for the Thanksgiving meal. Her seaman nephew will be there. He has not been home for over a year.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
My family...
... my wife's parent's house

The Old English did not have "families", it seems, nor even "parents". They did have kin and households, and fathers and mothers, though.

This coming weekend is our big weekend for choosing a new lower house and half an upper house for the whole of the Great Southern Land. The leader of the lower house becomes the leader of the whole land, as in England. We have chosen a new leadership team (that is, turned from the Left to the Right, or from the Right to the Left) only 5 times since the World-Wide Fighting of 1939-45. The last time was 1996, and the one before that was 1983.

This Saturday we will be getting someone to work on the network in our home (turning wireless into wired). He has to climb under the house to put the wires in.

Then we will go and make our mark (in truth, we write 1,2,3, and so on against the names of all the folk standing for the lower house on behalf of our neighbourhood).

Then, in the evening, we are going to a friend's house to watch the outcome of everyone's choosing a leadership team. Many folk all over the land will be meeting with friends, eating and drinking, and watching the outcome too. We should know the outcome (who is the leader of the land for the next 3 years) well before midnight.

I foretell that a new leadership team will win ("the Left") - after 11 years of the old leadership team ("the Right"). Anyway, it will be nail-biting time for leaders and would-be leaders, and for many folk watching the boards that show how many folk have chosen which leadership team in each neighbourhood.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving here in the New World. Ate too much, as one does. My wife's brother's wife's sister [Paranoid] made a something from eggs, cheese, onions and a green thing she called "broccoli". It was a big hit. The bird was good, as were the green beans and my dish of baked sweet roots. No marshmallows on mine, thank you kindly. There is a bit of white wine in it however.

We had many small children there. The newest baby is only two weeks old. They gave him a name from the Book - Joshua.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Oh, our choosing, which seems to take forever, begins the eighth day of the new year. [Eek!] One runner for the leadership is from the same home land as the last leader before the one now in the White House. But unlike the last leader, he belongs to the red team.

The last leader's wife is front runner in the blue team, but some of the others are catching up. We won't be done with this until almost this time next year. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
The last leader's wife is front runner in the blue team, but some of the others are catching up. We won't be done with this until almost this time next year. [Waterworks]

Believe you me, we get a lot of news about the leadership fights in your land. We know about the Clintons (man and wife), and Bush, and Gore that was (he came out here not long ago to tell us that the world is getting hotter). And I also lived on the western side of your land long ago, when your leader in the early 1960s was shot. I watched the 1964 choosing of leaders, when Goldwater lost.

I will be on edge until tomorrow night, when the outcome of the "day of choosing" will be known. And then I will be glad or sad. I can't help it. Sigh. I shall drown myself in drink ... well, a glass.

I find it odd that you call Clinton's team "blue" and Bush's team "red". Seems all wrong to me. Isn't red the Left and blue the Right? That is what we think here. How did the two teams get to be called those names ("red" and "blue") in your land?

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Yeah, the red/blue thing does seem backwards, doesn't it?

During the choosing years ago, the broadcasters showed the choices of each land in red or blue, showing who had won there. Each time of choosing they changed the red and blue teams.

In 2000, "red state" and "blue state" were written in books as shorthand for the two teams, and still are so called. The names stuck.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye - in the Old World, red is the colour of bands that put folk first, blue of gangs that hold gold highest.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

In the last Year-hundred, it was that way here also. Those who leaned to the Left were nicknamed "Pinko".

I like to think that those of us who are foreward thinkers are the true blue folks of this land as against the backward thinkers who have put us in the red, wealth-wise.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Well, are you happy this morning, MSHB? The Great Choosing is all over, and Rudd has beaten the one with the Norman name.
I had some light-heartedness looking at those names to see the meaning of them -- Rudd is like "one who steers the ship"; the name of the ousted leader mostly means "high watcher", but it can also mean, "the one who all the sheep run after".
Thanks for the tale of the Red and the Other Hue, Campbellite. I watched, darkly, as one McKew, meant to be on what we think is the Red side (ha! ha! -- not much red, if truth be told) made her big speech -- all around her was a sea of Not Red. These hues (chosen with great care by minders) do show out something of the inner minds of the racers.
But don't you have a race in your land, Campbellite, to see who gets to race in the Great Choosing, later? That's not settled yet, is it, on either side? Or did it happen while my back was turned?

[ 25. November 2007, 00:03: Message edited by: bush baptist ]

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

The first of the races come early in the first month of the year. There are, I think, about four early races before Great Tuesday in mid second month when about half of our lands will choose. The Big election for the White House is not until next almost this time next year.

I do not yet know who I want to win. All I can say for now it that it will not be the team now in the White House. I can live with the one-time first lady, but she is not my first choice.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Why are there four early races? I can understand an early race for each side, to choose their front-runner, but why four? Or is it that every race must be between only two runners, so they have knock-out races, to bring the number of likelies down to two? I think it's wild that they have these early races in the open, and sometimes with everyone able to have say -- in our land, we have them in a closed room, and only those sworn to be on the side choosing a front-runner get to say who they think it should be. Lots of the work is done by whispering and gossip beforehand, not by big, bought showmanship. (That comes later, in the Great Choosing.)
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Well, are you happy this morning, MSHB?

I did not straight away choose Team Red (Rudd?) or Team Blue, if the truth be told. We had many "little teams" to choose from in the lower house - I had to write from 1 to 8 against their names. Neither my "1" nor my "2" got in. But I did not think they would. In the upper house I only put "1" on the big long sheet ... and that team did not get a seat. But I am not down about it.

I am aware that the choosing of leaders is something that folk have strong feelings about (me too), but I think it is of greater weight that we get along with each other; whatever team we like the most is of less weight. I know and like many folk who choose teams that I would never ever choose. I know believers who like Team Blue, Team Red, Team Green (or Brown!), one of the churchy Teams, and Team "One Land" (which was begun by the red-head from Queensland who does not like folk from overseas unless they are white). It takes all kinds. "Love one another" does not mean "Love one another if they like the same leadership team as you". It is cheap love if you only like those who are the same as you.

For myself, I am not sad to see the old leader go. I do not believe that he was as good for the land as he (and all his team) said he was. I think he has hidden some breaches of the law (like the Wheat Board) and told untruth to mislead us (the Middle East weapons, the children overboard, the Wheat Board thing), and I think he has forgotten the gospel saying "I was a stranger and you welcomed me". Locking up children from overseas for years was a wicked thing to do - fathers who do that to their own children get locked up: it is called "child harm". Much wrong was done to the "little folk" - those who could not speak up. I think, in the end, the might and main of leadership went to his head (like winning the upper house in 2004). That is why he was thrown out on Saturday. He should have left last year, while he was ahead. He didn't and I am not sad that he lost. I think more will come out in the next few months that the old leaders did not want us to know. I wonder if Rudd will set the law on those who knew about the Wheat Board misdoings ...

I will watch Rudd to see how he turns out. To tell the truth, Rudd said "I" and "my" too many times for my liking in the last few weeks - but what he does now will be of more weight with me than what he said back then. We shall see. I don't hate him - I don't have strong feelings about him. Anyway, I like it that he goes to church and he loves his wife and children. But I like the other leader in his team, the woman with red hair - I think folk will grow to like her a lot as they see more of her. I think she wants other folk to get along together, rather than fight - something like Hawke from long ago. I think she is good at being in the middle, getting both sides to work together. I look forward to seeing how she turns out - more so than Rudd, in some ways.

They say a week is a long time in the world of leadership. Hasn't the last week made a big mark on the land! It is hard to believe that it has all happened.

--------------------

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

I like the way you think, MSHB, and agree with you on lots of things you say (there's a thread saying much of what folk think, elsewhere, in the after-death-cleaning-hall).
I'm sorry the little gang above the line (whoever they were - were they Green?) didn't get in. I always go below the line; that way, you know who the after-choice will go to.
Now about words -- I thought that That Other Hue was not Old English. That we could say Red and Green and Brown, but not the sky-hue. That's what the on-line word-book says, anyway.

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Now about words -- I thought that That Other Hue was not Old English. That we could say Red and Green and Brown, but not the sky-hue. That's what the on-line word-book says, anyway.

Sprung. "Oh bother", as they say among the lords and ladies. The Old English had a word that was nearly the same as the French word for sky-hue, but it isn't the forefather of our sky-hue word nowadays. If only Harold had won at Hastings, we would not have had to step carefully over all the French words in our tongue today. The wrong was done by the Northmen who spoke French - mucked up our tongue, they did.

I think I had better keep away from the hues and call them: Team Left and Team Right (and Team Tree? Not Team Bush!). Though I do like our Sydney Morning news headline yesterday: "Rudd and Rudderless". We could call them Team Rudd and Team Rudderless. But the New Worlders might find it too hard to follow, if it isn't already.

By the way, I liked "race" - had to look it up. Well chosen in this time of racing to be the leader. "Front" (as in "front-runner") is French from Rome, though, is it not?

Looking back, I see that I wrote "stranger" too. Oh bother some more! "I was new here and you welcomed me..." - that would be a good way of putting it.

Must look up that other thread about the aftermath of the leadership race.

By the way, I felt sorry for the woman in Boothby who lost. I saw her on the box on Saturday night. She looked like she was about to weep, and the man running the show in Sydney was asking her things like "Why did you lose when everyone else nearby won? What was wrong with you?" The woman was so down, it was wrong to do that to her while everyone was watching. I felt sorry for her. I believe she worked as hard as she could, like everyone else. Even if Team Left should have chosen someone else to run, she did what *she* could. But I don't know how folk over there in the Land of the Crows think about it. I know she did not go as well as others did. Was she given a hard time by the news-writers while the race was going on? (see? I like that word "race".)

--------------------

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Oh dear -- well, first runner?
You have a good heart, to be sorry for the woman from Boothby. I think she took some of the wrath which rose from the way she was chosen to be a runner -- for her looks, and her kin, not for her deep thinking or hard work. Of course, the wrath should have fallen rather on those who chose her, but that's the way of the world, isn't it?
Wasn't that a tale worth hearing that Campbellite told, about how the hues became yoked to the teams so newly in his land? I wonder if they'll stick? As was said, it seems as if the hues are the wrong way about.

[ 27. November 2007, 11:12: Message edited by: bush baptist ]

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
You have a good heart, to be sorry for the woman from Boothby. I think she took some of the wrath which rose from the way she was chosen to be a runner -- for her looks, and her kin, not for her deep thinking or hard work. Of course, the wrath should have fallen rather on those who chose her, but that's the way of the world, isn't it?

Soft-hearted? Indeed I am. I thought she was being put down wrongly. Other Left runners lost their races too - some of them in the West had been sitting in the lower house as well, and no one was asking them such hard-hearted things with the whole world watching like that.
quote:
Wasn't that a tale worth hearing that Campbellite told, about how the hues became yoked to the teams so newly in his land? I wonder if they'll stick? As was said, it seems as if the hues are the wrong way about.
Odd. So odd. It makes it hard for folk in other lands to follow: "Bush is a Red?" It's wronger than a wrong thing that isn't right.

Speaking of hues, yes - I might have chosen a small team of leafy hue. Our seat is always won by Team Right, but in the swing this time they lost half their lead. I never thought Team Left would win our seat - THAT would have been a true landslide.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Yeah but...

Our team right is over muchly right, and our team left isn't all that left. [Waterworks]

The four early races are in four lands, each wants to be the first to choose who will be the team leader for the Big Choosing. For as far back as I can think, it has always been the land called "Iowa", followed by New Hampshire. They are small lands in the counting of folks, and like to have their say in the team choosing before the others have made the leader choice already sure.

In the past, it has happened that a Dark Horse has come forth and gotten the nod who might not have been chosen by the bigger lands. I think Polk in 1844 was one such leader who ended up in the White House. I am sure there have been others.

Big Tuesday in the second month will have about half of the lands casting their lots for team leaders. If one who hopes to be Leader can get a head start in the first four, it could help them on Big Tuesday.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Thanks, Campbellite -- that helps me understand.

And here comes the weekend! I am so much hoping that I can get out and do things this weekend – well, I did heaps last weekend, but nothing much in the way of song or skilled craftsmanship, two lights of my life. This weekend, there is singing tonight (if my husband is not too tired; he works hard, and they make him work on the weekend, too) and singing again Sunday afternoon – a man who plays a stringed keyboard, who is known all over the world, is coming, with a crossover song-team – sounds great! And two skilled craftsmanship shows, one with pithy sayings from the far east, written in the fair handwriting of the east, and one which shows houses and fastnesses (I know I could say castle – late Old English – but isn’t fastnesses a lovely word?) of this town as if they were old bones dug up – they both sound good to me! And heaps more. Anyone else with something good in mind?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
a crossover song-team

I don't know (or cannot tell) what a "crossover song-team" is, unless they are men wearing women's clothes (or the other way about) while they sing.

After the overthrow of Team Right last weekend and the Ruddening of the Great South Land, this weekend should be much less busy. No more worrying about who will win. Now we only worry about loans in the New World going bad, making loans here harder to get, and driving business down everywhere in the land. We don't want a world-wide meltdown as soon as Team Left gets in. Give them a break.

It is the beginning of the Four Weeks before Christmas, the Time of Coming, when we get ready for the coming of the Lord. I will be speaking in church on one of the 4 Sundays, so I will have to begin getting myself ready for that.

--------------------

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Well, by cross-over, I meant that they blend one kind of singing (an older, more scholarly kind) with another kind (more lively? more rock?) -- they cross over from one kind to another. It's not all singing, but I don't know how to say the lovely din made by hitting keys or strings, or blowing into reeds.

Now, about words. Did everyone see that they've been talking about words on the Welsh thread? Old Norse and all. And it was said a bit further up this thread that,
quote:
The Old English had a word that was nearly the same as the French word for sky-hue, but it isn't the forefather of our sky-hue word nowadays.
Is there any word nowadays which comes from that old word?
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Now, about words. Did everyone see that they've been talking about words on the Welsh thread? Old Norse and all. And it was said a bit further up this thread that,
quote:
The Old English had a word that was nearly the same as the French word for sky-hue, but it isn't the forefather of our sky-hue word nowadays.
Is there any word nowadays which comes from that old word?
OE blaw was sister to the Eastern Frankish blew/blaw, from whence the French took their bleu or blue. These words were also sisters (in a far-off way) to the Romish flavus, which meant yellow.

The Shorter Oxford says that the Old Danish sister-word bla gave us "blae", meaning "blackish-sky-hue". But this word is only spoken in the North and in Scotland. It is not part of the main English tongue.

If we had kept the Old English word, we would say it *blow. As you can see, that would be the same as the doing-word "blow", as in breathe strongly. No wonder we borrowed the French word. We don't want too many words the same - it gets too hard to understand.

But no, I haven't seen the Welsh thread. What with the leadership race in our land, and the need to do other things, I cannot keep up with all the threads on the Ship that I might like. The thread for folk in the Great South Land (and in the Land of the Long White Cloud) is another that I cannot keep up with - so many folk writing so much, it would be full-time work being a part of it.

I like the OE thread as it is small - only a few folk (but all good ones! :-) ) - and I like the work of writing only in words from Old English and Old Danish. I can keep up with this thread - it doesn't go too quickly for me.

By the way, someone wrote a good bit about the new show Beowulf. The writer had read Beowulf in Old English, and knew the tale in depth.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
If we had kept the Old English word, we would say it *blow. As you can see, that would be the same as the doing-word "blow", as in breathe strongly. No wonder we borrowed the French word. We don't want too many words the same - it gets too hard to understand.

But... The word for the sky-hue is to the ear the same as the past of "blow" is it not? [Paranoid]

Saturday I will be merry with my wife's kin as we think back on the day that her father took her mother as his wife, sixty years ago.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
But... The word for the sky-hue is to the ear the same as the past of "blow" is it not? [Paranoid]

There are, to tell the truth, three words "blow":

(1) to breathe hard ( from OE blawan)
(2) a stroke ("I gave him a blow on the chin") (from OE *bleowan? not found written until ME)
(3) to bloom (from OE blowan)

So a fourth (sky-hue, from blaw) would be a bit much.

Well, today we mowed the grass before and behind our house. The bad thing is, we will have to mow it again next year.

C, may you all have much mirth for your kin's 60 years of being hitched. Next year is our 25th, so 60 looks a long way off to me. That is nearly nine seven-year itches!

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

We had a good time yesterday. My wife's aunt (her mother's sister) came from her home five hours driving time away. We had a cake which was made to look like the one they had sixty years ago.

Our son, Will, and all but one of the other grandchildren were there. (The second oldest, after our son, is a sailor and could not make it there.) Will kept the elder aunts merry with tales of his work. We took many "light-writings" (to put into English what the romish word means).

My wife and I will mark our 29th year together on the 16th of this month. (Writing that makes it seem like such a long time!)

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Another weekend coming up. My wife and I are not on call, so we will likely be shopping for Christmas. Sunday afternoon I will be one of three elders taking bread and wine to our shut-ins as this is my month to stand at the Table. We do this every second Sunday of the month.

How are the rest of you making ready during this time of the Coming?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
How are the rest of you making ready during this time of the Coming?

Falling in a heap seems like a good thought this weekend, and also a good way to get ready for Christmas!

We have Christmas songs at church on the four Sundays before Christmas, and we follow the church readings for this time of year - like the fore-tellings of Christ's coming. Other than that, our household goes shopping too and buy gifts for one another. We also put up a Christmas tree at home and lay gifts underneath. My daughters like that - they put the tree up this year.

The churches here will also sing Christmas songs to the folk in our little town on the weekend before Christmas - many households come with their children to take part in that, as they like the old-time Christmas songs.

We have also had one big Christmas get-together at work for all the high and mighty folk. We will have another get-together this week - this time only for the lowly workers - where we will share a midday meal (50 bucks a head).

So ... shopping, get-togethers, gifts, trees, Christmas songs ... and the weather warms up, and the school year ends. Some folk like to wear red hoods with white trimmings, or else deer horns on their heads (like this and this ). Here Christmas means summer and long school holidays. No ice, no snow ... but great big fires on all sides of Sydney are not unknown (other than in the east, which is the sea, and is not known to burn).

--------------------

Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most likely not the A-Ss though

Both Wulfstan Cantor (Life of St. Swithun, late 10th century) and Byrhtferth of Ramsey (Life of St. Oswald, early 11th century) mention organs in terms that indicate that they were referring not to metaphorical organs, but musical instruments in actual use.

--------------------
Foržon we sealon efestan žas Easterlican žing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, žaet we magon cuman to žam Easterlican daege, že aa byš, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
quote:
Most likely not the A-Ss though

Both Wulfstan Cantor (Life of St. Swithun, late 10th century) and Byrhtferth of Ramsey (Life of St. Oswald, early 11th century) mention organs in terms that indicate that they were referring not to metaphorical organs, but musical instruments in actual use.
Greetings Mockingbird

You may not be aware of the laws of this thread. We only write words that come from Old English or from the Northmen who settled in England before King Harold was slain. So no borrowed French words - nor loan words from Rome - unless they were written in English works before 1066.

That means words like "century", "mention", "terms", "indicate" - and so forth - are all unlawful here. See the beginning of this thread if you wish to understand more.

And back to this thread ... My weekend? Mostly low key. A little watching of the box, playing with software, looking here and there on the web, and so forth. It has been raining much of the day, so I had to keep indoors anyway. The backyard looks all green though, from all the rain and its being early summer. Well, one more week of work ... then holidays.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

And what is this "metaphorical" of which you speak? [Biased]

Yesterday we made merry with the elder folks who live in our building. We each brought food to share, and many brought gifts to share. I brought a bag of dried, sweet-smelling plants. In turn I got a baked ring of dark brown hue, made of a now well-known New World bean the first folks called "chocolatl".

But my Healer does not want me to eat too much of such things. [Frown] So I took it to church this morning to share with the others as we drank our hot, brown drink (also made from New World beans, as it happens). [Razz]

Tonight, my wife is making a meal for us to think back on our 29 years together this day. So many years, and we haven't killed each other yet. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

quote:
You may not be aware of the laws of this thread. We only write words that come from Old English or from the Northmen who settled in England before King Harold was slain. So no borrowed French words - nor loan words from Rome - unless they were written in English works before 1066.

I wot well the laws of this thread. I was simply too wroth over a witless word to follow them.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016