homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Old English Thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Old English Thread
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week leading up to the birth of our Lord is full of business. Monday I chaired the church board meeting. Tonight I had a good time with our church bowling* team. We won all three games and overall pin count.

Wednesday I stand at Table for a "Sky-hue Christmas" worship for the folk who dwell in our building. Thursday is when our singers prepare songs for Sunday, and Friday I again stand at Table for the "Longest Night" worship at our church (Same as the one on Wednesday).

"Longest Night" is a time for folk who have suffered the loss of someone close, or loss of any other sort. Christmas is not always a merry time for some folk. This worship time marks this truth, and understands these feelings.

*Is that word allowed?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my, what a week this has been! Our church singers (and bell ringers) had three hours work on Thursday night to get ready for this morning.
Then Friday, as I was making ready for a "Longest Night" worship, my wife found one of the elder neighbors in our building lying dead in her room. (The neighbor's room, not my wife's room, lest anyone not understand.) We called 911, who called the lawmen, who called the undertaker. The dead woman's kin came in droves! There was much weeping and grief.

Then Saturday, the singers and bell ringers (who are mostly the same folks) met again to make ready. The week then caught up with me and I crashed that afternoon.

This morning at church we had a wonderful worship with much singing and happiness for the birth of our Lord.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Campbellite said:
quote:
Oh my, what a week this has been!
Amen, I say. I have had an outlandish Christmas, running from one home to another, seeing an old friend wed, seeing my brother and sisters and cousins (not all of them), and at last coming back to my husband on Christmas Eve -- we didn't get to church, at least not inside a church, but a good man on this ship sent me a Christmas word, as he was going to give it in his church, for which I was thankful.

So much goodness, all around!

(By the way, I think Campbellite that you can't say the word you used a while back, but you could say "skittles" instead -- I think.)

Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Thanks BB, I do know that "bowl" the thing for holding food, is lawful. But I don't know about "bowl" the game.

I will be speaking in church this Sunday. Our Speaker is not home this week. He goes to see family who do not live nearby. He has two grandchildren who live in Richmond (the one in "Virginia") and will be seeing them.

I think I will talk about Joseph, the step-father of our Lord. I am calling it, "You may think I'm a Dreamer". (Yes, I listened to too much of the Beatles in my day. I doubt that many will catch the hint. [Razz] )

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bush baptist:
... cousins ...
(By the way, I think Campbellite that you can't say the word you used a while back, but you could say "skittles" instead -- I think.)

"Skittles" - yea.
"Cousins" - nay.
"used" - nay.

I did get to church on Christmas Day - I was one of the singers singing "O Come O Come..." at the beginning, which is not in truth a Christmas Song, but a "before Christmas" Song.

This weekend is the same as all the others: do nothing on Saturday, then go to church on Sunday. Today's highlight was going for a four-mile walk at sundown. Good for the health. Tomorrow in church we will be "sharing" - everyone talking about what has happened in their life this year, such as what they have learned about God.

C. You write sometimes about "your building". Do you live in a high-rise building with many floors inside it? I live in a "stand-alone" house with only my wife and daughters - and only one floor.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Yes, we live and work in a building of flats, housing elderly folks. When they need help, we are there to do what needs to be done. That most often means calling 911, and waiting for them to get there.

There are three pull-ropes* in each room. By pulling them, they make the software call us on the little box we wear.

*Is "cord" lawful?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MSHB -- I am writhing in shame at the wrong words I had. Thank you for setting me straight! [Smile]

I like "O come, o come" a lot. I didn't get to any Christmas singing this year, unless you count the piped kind (and I bet none of you do!).

Campbellite -- with your words in church today, about "You may say I'm a dreamer" you said you wondered if many would get the hint. So what's the hint? Did you mean, "there's no heaven... above us only sky"? or "all the people living for today"? And did they get it? Tell, tell!

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

I read the gospel for today, from the writing of Matthew 2:13 and following. I told the story as if I were Joseph. The Book tells us that Joseph was met by a heavenly being at least three times in a dream. Thus I called him a "dreamer". [Big Grin]

I spoke of how no matter how old we may be (Joseph was said to be 90 years old), we must look after the children that are given to our care. We cannot think that they are not worth our time. Like Joseph taught the child Jesus, we must teach the children the things that we were taught for them to grow up to be faithful followers of Christ.

I think it went well.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Joseph was said to be ninety? I didn't know that! (But who said it? [Paranoid] )
quote:
we must look after the children that are given to our care
Yes, amen. And for those of us who have no children in our care right now, I think this means that we have to give what we can to other children as we go by, so to speak. Always keeping in mind that we are outsiders to their lives, that we should never push anything on them.
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

The best thing we in the church can give the children is time, and to spend time with them, to let them know that they can trust us, and that we care. We must be what the Greeks called "mentors".

If we fail to teach them the things of God, how will they ever learn?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Has everyone jumped Ship? Here I am a week later, and this is a two-times post. [Biased]

This weekend my wife and I hope to do some house cleaning. We have far too many "things" taking up room, and need to get rid of what is unneeded.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016