homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: It's kind of wrong, but it's funny.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: It's kind of wrong, but it's funny.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I don't mean watching grandma fall down the stairs. Well, not primarily.

I mean how some "conservatives" like to define themselves. You know - strong family values, and the like.

Oh, really? Why, that's delightful.

[ 21. March 2008, 18:10: Message edited by: comet ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wrong? more like true to type.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love BoingBoing...Did anyone see the sculpted books from a few days ago? Stunning.

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of like when the cats try to jump up on the windowsill...and miss. But they meant to do it, you know.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking more of what the cats do after they were caught getting ready to jump up someplace forbidden (like the kitchen counter) -- they somehow smoothly change their muscle action into very seriously attending to cleaning something off of their paw or whatever.

If challenged, the cat's reaction is first to simply ignore you, and then to walk away using body language that clearly says "Try to prove it, loser".

Sound familiar?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I mean how some "conservatives" like to define themselves. You know - strong family values, and the like.

Oh, really? Why, that's delightful.

How interesting and... I dunno about you, but, like, the thought of all those closeted single conservatives bursting to unleash their repressed poofy desires on other blokes REALLY MAKES ME HORNY!

[Killing me]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously, it's impossible to die of cliché overdose. More's the pity.

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if everyone's private thoughts were detectable to everyone within sight. I betcha the Republican party would never have another rally.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re detecting everyone's thoughts:

Sci-fi novelist Spider Robinson, whose work I generally love--especially when he's co-writing with his wife Jeanne--has written several times about large, telepathic networks of people. (I'm told he picked that up from Heinlein.)

I find that both unwise and terrifying.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy dearest, whatever turns you on.

The thought just makes me laugh...

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just want to say, not all of us right wing conservative loons are obsessed with homosexuality. Some don't actually give the matter much thought from one month to the next. Personally I find there are much more interesting issues to have bizarre obsessions about.
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am amazed that this is taken at face value - I cannot believe that anyone with secret desires for others of their own sex would spend their time looking at a conservative website. I would think there would be alternatives on the web for greater titilation. This is an amusing hoax.

You should not believe everything you read.

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
Personally I find there are much more interesting issues to have bizarre obsessions about.

Share, share.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
I am amazed that this is taken at face value - I cannot believe that anyone with secret desires for others of their own sex would spend their time looking at a conservative website. I would think there would be alternatives on the web for greater titilation. This is an amusing hoax.

Aumbry

The stats appear to come from Conservapedia itself, but I wonder how much they are skewed by libruls who want to point and laugh. How many of you have added to them since this thread started? [Razz]
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

It seems a bit unlikely that for every one hit on Wikipedia for Harry Potter and the deathly Harrovians there are three on Conservapedia for Homosexuailty.

I've never heard of Conservapedia!

Aumbry

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid my poor little brain is still boggling on the matter of 'Gay Bowel Syndrome'... how do you tell if your bowels are gay?

Damn this thread!!!! [Mad]

(No, I can't look it up - I'm in the office and my pc has a firewall)

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
I just want to say, not all of us right wing conservative loons are obsessed with homosexuality. Some don't actually give the matter much thought from one month to the next. Personally I find there are much more interesting issues to have bizarre obsessions about.

Noted. And I'm willing to bet that you use wikipedia for much of your first-glance inquiries about stuff, not taking it too seriously. Like most everybody else.

However, there is a definite demographic of overcompensating überconservative that shrilly seems to need to paint itself in a ridiculous manner. The painfully consistent tendency for these bastions of conservative thought to end up revealed as being tortured self-denialists all along is pretty funny.

And, considering the outright lies and skewed priorities they support, I find it hiliarious that any of their potential defenders would say "don't believe everything you read". Especially when it's so easy to check directly from the sources, and Aumbry obviously wasn't willing to check her idea. Probably because, as a hysterical conservative, she's had no experience with such practice.

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
However, there is a definite demographic of overcompensating überconservative that shrilly seems to need to paint itself in a ridiculous manner. The painfully consistent tendency for these bastions of conservative thought to end up revealed as being tortured self-denialists all along is pretty funny.

And, considering the outright lies and skewed priorities they support, I find it hiliarious that any of their potential defenders would say "don't believe everything you read". Especially when it's so easy to check directly from the sources, and Aumbry obviously wasn't willing to check her idea. Probably because, as a hysterical conservative, she's had no experience with such practice.

A view which more or less perfectly illustrates why it is a hoax.

Aumbry

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
A view which more or less perfectly illustrates why it is a hoax.

So, you're saying that conservapedia is lying on its own statistics page. Quick! Warn them!

Moron.

Fizgig
Shipmate
# 12330

- Posted      Profile for Fizgig   Email Fizgig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This statement immediately made me think of this spot...You might get a kick out of this, Rook:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQvKpj5ThQ

Just a cutesy tangent... carry on, carry on.

Posts: 80 | From: santa cruz | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
So, you're saying that conservapedia is lying on its own statistics page. Quick! Warn them
Yes -someone is having a laugh - probably an employee of Conservapedia. You are certainly giving them publicity.

Do you honestly think that all these repressed homosexual neocons are finding titilation by reading about homosexuality on this website when there are hundreds of fully illustrated websites out there?

Aumbry

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Do you honestly think that all these repressed homosexual neocons are finding titilation by reading about homosexuality on this website when there are hundreds of fully illustrated websites out there?

No, I think it's an amusing appearance of the situation. I suspect that what's really happening is that the usual cadre of paranoids is simply feeding their obsession.
Fizgig
Shipmate
# 12330

- Posted      Profile for Fizgig   Email Fizgig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't find that incredible... Someone more knowledgable than myself want to explain repression?
(That's a joke, mostly.)

[ 22. November 2007, 15:32: Message edited by: Fizgig ]

Posts: 80 | From: santa cruz | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
No, I think it's an amusing appearance of the situation. I suspect that what's really happening is that the usual cadre of paranoids is simply feeding their obsession.
So Wikipedia has 30 million hits on its main page and 413,000 for the most popular entry - Harry Potter (and Homosexuality doesn't appear at all in the favourites list).

Conservapedia we are supposed to believe has 1,906,000 main page hits and 1,572,713 homosexuality hits (excluding all the other hits on Homosexual-related subjects).

So we are supposed to believe that for every one person who hit the home page there was almost exactly an equal number who hit the Homosexuality Entry.

Sorry you are so gullible as to believe this. Or, more likely, just believe what suits your prejudices.

Aumbry

[ 22. November 2007, 15:50: Message edited by: aumbry ]

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

It is a jolly good hoax though.

Aumbry

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I click there the first thing it says is:

[UPDATE: The Conservapedia Top 10 list is probably the result of click bots skewing the results. See Seth Finkelstein's blog entry and the comments below.]

In other words it's possible this whole thing was staged by truth-loving librulls wanting to have a swing at the oppressive conservatives. It's kind of wrong, but it's funny, that the liberals would be so desperate to portray the conservatives in a bad light that they must invent something.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
umm, maybe it wasn't libruls at all, but pissed off script kiddies having fun - you don't have to have a dog in the fight to see where mischief can be made.

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Granted.

--------------------

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
graciously accepted

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
When I click there the first thing it says is:

[UPDATE: The Conservapedia Top 10 list is probably the result of click bots skewing the results. See Seth Finkelstein's blog entry and the comments below.]

In other words it's possible this whole thing was staged by truth-loving librulls wanting to have a swing at the oppressive conservatives. It's kind of wrong, but it's funny, that the liberals would be so desperate to portray the conservatives in a bad light that they must invent something.

(came here to post the same BB quote): I think it means no malicious intent directed at the site at all [Confused]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

D'Oh! My click-bots have been discovered!

My apologies, Aumbry.

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

Apologies accepted. Although I haven't the least idea what a clickbot is.

Aumbry

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aumbry, dear, why do I have the feeling that "I don't have the least idea" is your family motto?

quote:
Originally posted by My Duck:
I'm afraid my poor little brain is still boggling on the matter of 'Gay Bowel Syndrome'... how do you tell if your bowels are gay?

I think it's when you fart show tunes and crap rainbows.

[ 22. November 2007, 19:51: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:

[Killing me]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For clickbots to work, however, Conservapedia does actually have to have those pages. Why does conservapedia, ostensibly a political website, need more in-depth health information on homosexuality than many health-related websites?

The hoax is only funny because it mocks the underlying obsession.

[ 23. November 2007, 18:14: Message edited by: Choirboy ]

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
quote:

For clickbots to work, however, Conservapedia does actually have to have those pages. Why does conservapedia, ostensibly a political website, need more in-depth health information on homosexuality than many health-related websites?

The hoax is only funny because it mocks the underlying obsession.

There's a subtle Catch-22 going on here. People give the conservatives grief about attacking things they don't know anything about, then when they try to educate themselves*, they get grief for that.

*not that I believe what they say is necessarily true, but that doesn't affect argument, because it is the existence of the pages that is being denigrated, not their content.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going for 'further horrify the conservatives by identifying them as homoerotic lust objects', O Multiparous One. But lemme think about it...

And say it ain't a hoax as well. [Waterworks]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, thanks a lot Rook!

Nearly brought up my wheaties!

Not the OP per se, but bringing to my attention the fact that something as obnoxious a concept as 'Conservapedia' actually exists!
(although I have been unable to open any of the links - hopefully hackers are doing something worthwhile for once)

As Callan said:
quote:
Originally posted by Callan on the 'What do Atheists think Faith is?' thread
Now I do think that it is a problem that once one has conceded or admitted the existence of God one is apt to find oneself with an epistemological blank cheque, to that extent the atheists have a point.

By all means - Let's indoctrinate the Kiddies so that they'll believe any kind of crap! (the bit that Einstein's 'Theories of Relativity' had nothing to do with the development of the atomic bomb, for example )
The ONLY thing that will save us is if we somehow lose this prediliction to believe any (and every) kind of superstitious nonsense in order to avoid facing reality: Unless we do it WILL lead to our ultimate destruction, and....

(We apologise for that outburst - S-E has been trussed up like a thanksgiving turkey, had his mouth taped, and been tossed in a cupboard; until he calms down and digests his wheaties; or chokes - whichever comes first)

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
(We apologise for that outburst - S-E has been trussed up like a thanksgiving turkey, had his mouth taped, and been tossed in a cupboard;

did I hear someone calling my name?

[Snigger]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*not that I believe what they say is necessarily true, but that doesn't affect argument, because it is the existence of the pages that is being denigrated, not their content.

The content is crap, too. This is not education, it is a bizarre combination of proof-texting and indoctrination.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
The ONLY thing that will save us is if we somehow lose this prediliction to believe any (and every) kind of superstitious nonsense in order to avoid facing reality: Unless we do it WILL lead to our ultimate destruction, and....

We who? I certainly don't believe any and every kind of superstitious nonsense, for any reason good or bad. Hell, I can hardly keep up with my own brand of superstitious nonsense (an odd admixture of Orthodoxy, universalism, Dostoyevsky, WVO Quine, the Tao, and Robert Pirsig) without trying to believe all the other ones too. Hell, I don't even look like a windmill.

--------------------

Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mmmmmmmmmmmppppppppppphhhhhhhh"

"Mrrrfffffff" "rrrrpppppppph" "mmm" "mmm"

(Please dont address S-E directly for at least 24 hours - It just upsets him.
I think...Yes, he says that Dostoyevsky was very perceptive...And W.O. has a lot to offer...No: I'm sorry that's - "Tom: Another Injection quick!")

Nurse Ratched

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Robert Pirsig

Duuuude.
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Aumbry

I have actually known some gay (well, bisexual actually) people who are in the conservative camp. They basically believe everything the Republicans do, *except* for their stance on homosexuality. Apparently, they do not find the party's misconceptions and prejudice about gay people to be a deal-breaker. I certainly would, but there's no accounting for taste.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I would find the lampooning of conservatives' obsession with homosexuality to be funny if it weren't true of some people I have known. Around where I grew up, there were people so taken up about this issue that I think they were doing so to distract attention from *their* shortcomings or bad deeds. Lying in office? Bribing public officials? Interpreting laws to suit your own purposes? That can be tolerated. But loving someone of the same gender? That can't. Apparently you could do anything you wanted and it was okay as long as you weren't dating someone of your gender. I guess in their minds, those 'lesbians and gay people' were to be feared more than the terrorists. Or, from the amount they talked about homosexuality, you could get that impression.

I am so glad I moved.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Conservapedia got launched, the word got around Blogistan pretty quickly.

Since the wiki was then open edit (dunno if they changed it), one of the pranks was to put up new articles and/or edit present ones. Style points for not getting the edits removed (this required subtlety).

I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, but the whole box is required for Conservapedia. I was told at the time that it was a project of homeschooled teenagers; based on the factual errors (and bad writing) I saw, I wouldn't have given those kids a very high grade.

I did get an excellent LJ userpic out of the deal, though - of Jesus riding a brontosaurus.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:

quote:
Originally posted by My Duck:

There is a reason Spiffy got this one right. This Viking Ballarina is a member of the GLBT organization at Portland State.

(In case you can't read his T-shirt: "I'm so gay I shit rainbows.")

From the 2007 PDX Pride Parade, taken while I was waiting for my turn to ride in the rear position of this parade.*

Make of that what you will.

*Technically there were two police cars behind me with fine examples of uniformed splendor driving them, but let us not be pedantic.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Huh? [Paranoid]

You don't have to be repressed to be looking up this stuff. It could be ignorant people trying to solve their ignorance by coming to a source they trust.

There are certain circles where you can not openly self-identify as "gay." As a result, there are several boatloads of people who think they don't know any gay people.

Where else is a home schooled kid going to go to find out something on this subject that won't alarm his or her parents if said parents check the browser history? Teenagers think about sex frequently. So why wouldn't they want to find out about this subject, as well?

Or, it could be the revenge of the bots. Which is probably better than the revenge of the Stepford Wives.

We'll never know.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

In the UK for every conservative obsessed by homosexuality there are about a thousand obsessed by the European Union. So perhaps I am simply not on the same wavelength as Americans on these matters.

Aumbry

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016