homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The Thread Where Everyone Argues If Man-Induced Climate Change Is Real (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The Thread Where Everyone Argues If Man-Induced Climate Change Is Real
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:
All you're saying is that CO2 is part (and actually a minor part) of the greehouse effect which tends to raise local temperature.

No, I'm saying that CO2 is a one of a number of gases that act to raise the global temperature. The mixing of atmospheric gases over the residence time for most greenhouse gases means that theire effects are always going to be global (water vapour is the only one where regional variations can be a factor, because it cycles so quickly in and out of the lower atmosphere).

And, CO2 isn't a minor part of the greenhouse effect. It accounts for almost 25% of the greenhouse warming (actually generating numbers for the relative effects of greenhouse gases is practically impossible as the absorbtion characteristics interfere with each other). About 50% of the greenhouse effect is due to water vapour (with some regional variation just to add to the difficulties of calculating the importance of water vapour). The rest is made up of the contribution of other gases (principally methane, a bit under 10%, NO2 about 2%, CFCs about 5%). I know that doesn't quite add upto 100% - that's just because of the difficulties with assigning relative importance to the different gases as I just mentioned, mostly with regard to water vapour.

quote:
Show me actual proof that CO2 drives global warming and show me proof that this present spell of hot weather is man made.

Well, if by the "present spell of hot weather" you mean the current early spring, or even the lack of winter (it's just not right to go from Oct-Apr without any snow), then I can't prove it's due to global warming as it's within the range of natural variations. But, the models all predict that global warming will increase the number of warm winters, so if you mean the string of record temperatures over the last 10 years or so, then yes the evidence is very strongly indicative that that's caused by global warming.

I'm not sure what I can do to prove the role of CO2 and other greenhouse gases if you're not willing to accept relatively simple physics.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

- Posted      Profile for Noiseboy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Monkton - no Myrrh, you have missed the point. Monkton (not a scientist) makes scientific claims, which actual scientists have comprehensively debunked. End of story.

The Maggie Thatcher nonsense currently resides somewhere below the fake moon landings and the 9/11 government conspiracies as a credible theory (may I remind you that this explanation was given to us by the same programme that got its "NASA" temperature graphs from a one-man farm in Oregon). Even if you reject the position of every government on Earth from every political persuasion as being conspiratorially "frightening" , you still manage to ignore all those other political stooges at NASA, the Royal Society, National Academy of Sciences and every other relevent body of scientists that exists throughout the world. And yet again you fail to counter with one single, credible body of scientists who have a different opinion (and please don't quote a spurious internet petition - the crucial word here is credible). So I'm afraid this:

quote:
You consistently refuse to look at the what real scientists are saying.

is comtemptable (sorry for the harsh word used, but it is chosen deliberately given my list of genuine sources versus your non-existent ones).

As for CO2 driving global warming - it doesn't. It is, however, a critically important amplifier, something that has been understood for many years. The basic principle can be demonstrated with a simple school science experiment, which has been known for over 100 years. Not that you listen to any actual climate scientists, but for anyone else who is interested, there is a very good summary of the science of the role of CO2 in the overall complex process of global warmingthis recent Real Climate article.

Posts: 512 | From: Tonbridge | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

- Posted      Profile for Noiseboy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the real world, this rather worrying BBC story reports that since 1979, Arctic sea ice has been melting faster than ANY climate model has thus far predicted, and double the rate of the models' average. Maybe James Lovelock is right after all and there already is nothing we can do...
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

quote:
Show me actual proof that CO2 drives global warming and show me proof that this present spell of hot weather is man made.

Well, if by the "present spell of hot weather" you mean the current early spring, or even the lack of winter (it's just not right to go from Oct-Apr without any snow), then I can't prove it's due to global warming as it's within the range of natural variations. But, the models all predict that global warming will increase the number of warm winters, so if you mean the string of record temperatures over the last 10 years or so, then yes the evidence is very strongly indicative that that's caused by global warming.
But not unexpected global warming - these temperatures are measured against a MINI ICE AGE, which indicates a drop from a previous much higher temperature..

..and the global temperature since the peak 10k years ago shows a continuing drop into cold in exactly the same general pattern as for the last 450 years - what you're doing is taking natural variation and pretending that it's unusual, it isn't.

quote:
I'm not sure what I can do to prove the role of CO2 and other greenhouse gases if you're not willing to accept relatively simple physics.
It's not the simple physics that floors me - it's your interpretation.

You said: "And, most of it isn't anywhere near as convincing as that which proves beyond any reasonable doubt/ that human activity is a significant contribution to the recent observed changes in the global climate."

I'm still waiting for you to actually produce this information which proves beyong any reasonable doubt that human activity is driving global warming. It's immediately disproved because the greatest temperature rise out of the MINI ICE AGE (since when records began) shows insignificant global human imput of CO2 and post WWII much greater global human imput shows several decades of falling temperatures.

Your statement here is what I take issue with, this is the club used by you and your ilk to beat us senseless and YOU HAVE NOT PROVED THIS.

Convince me.

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
Originally posted by Noiseboy:
Re Monkton - no Myrrh, you have missed the point. Monkton (not a scientist) makes scientific claims, which actual scientists have comprehensively debunked. End of story.

Noiseboy, there are a great many scientists debunking global warming. There's not much difference in the political pressures used to promote and that used to debunk it.

If you want to really find out what it's all about you have to go back to the actual data and make up your own mind, you cannot discount all those scientists whose research shows no such thing and it is unconscionable for anyone in this debate, scientist or not, to ignore these or the sites which collate them.

As for Monkton, the point is still that he was personally privy to the political machinations which began promoting global warming as man-made CO2. Arguments that anti-global warmists are politically driven are non starters because the global warming bandwagon was itself politically driven from its conception. A clever twist to the hypothesis which at the time was thought of a being beneficial in increasing warmth - and still if actually proved could be seen as beneficial since all genuine data show we're in an interglacial and in the normal slide back into the cold of an ice age.

quote:
John Christy, an IPCC lead author and global warming skeptic, said that "Contributing authors essentially are asked to contribute a little text at the beginning and to review the first two drafts. We have no control over editing decisions. Even less influence is granted the 2,000 or so reviewers. Thus, to say that 800 contributing authors or 2,000 reviewers reached consensus on anything describes a situation that is not reality." [43]Global Warming Controversy

You are strongly influenced by the spin that this theory is supported by actual scientists, but the IPCC is not composed of them and many who did contribute have objected to the crass misuse of their work. And you can't have it both ways, objecting to contradictory views because they are non-scientists or not specifically climate scientists while using such as these to prove your view.

Simple logic shows that global warming itself is not proved and man driven global warming is the emperor's new clothes. Quite frankly, I'm tired of being told there are convincing arguments beyond any reasonable doubt and not having them actually produced.

Note the three steps in this theory: [quote]Step One Scientists for decades have postulated that increases in carbon dioxide and other gases could lead to a greenhouse effect.

Step Two As if on cue, the temperature rose over the course of the 20th century while greenhouse gases proliferated due to human activities.

Step Three No other mechanism explains the warming. Without another candidate, greenhouses gases necessarily became the cause.

The temperature was rising anyway, coming out of the Mini Ice Age, and there are other reasons for global warming, not least the sunspot activity which shows a remarkable correlation between activity and temperature rise.

Can you show the, any, correlation between anthropogenic CO2 and global warming?

The above points come from this article The real deal?
Against the grain: Some scientists deny global warming exists
Lawrence Solomon, National Post
Published: Friday, February 02, 2007

Myrrh

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Re:

quote:
quote:

quote:

But not unexpected global warming - these temperatures are measured against a MINI ICE AGE, which indicates a drop from a previous much higher temperature..

..and the global temperature since the peak 10k years ago shows a continuing drop into cold in exactly the same general pattern as for the last 450 years - what you're doing is taking natural variation and pretending that it's unusual, it isn't.

Oops, missed of the k. Should be "the same general pattern as for the last 450 thousand years"

As posted previously: Image:Ice Age Temperature.png

Myrrh

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:
Noiseboy, there are a great many scientists debunking global warming.

Not true of climate scientists. Christy is one of a very tiny handful, whom I cannot take seriously since his own peer reviewed recent research discredits his earlier theories about the troposphere. In 2005, he wrote:

quote:
John Christy: Temperature Trends in the Lower Atmosphere - Understanding and Reconciling Differences:
Previously reported discrepancies between the amount of warming near the surface and higher in the atmosphere have been used to challenge the reliability of climate models and the reality of human-induced global warming. Specifically, surface data showed substantial global-average warming, while early versions of satellite and radiosonde data showed little or no warming above the surface. This significant discrepancy no longer exists because errors in the satellite and radiosonde data have been identified and corrected.

And yet he went on camera on the GCCS to espouse his earlier theory - which he himself has admitted was false and based on erroneous data. This is contemptable.

quote:
If you want to really find out what it's all about you have to go back to the actual data and make up your own mind, you cannot discount all those scientists whose research shows no such thing and it is unconscionable for anyone in this debate, scientist or not, to ignore these or the sites which collate them.

Wrong on every level.

1. I am not qualified to interpret the climate science data any more than, say, Monkton is. For that, one needs to be a climate scientist. Your or my own interpretations are worthless - we have to listen to those who are qualified.

2. The number climate scientists who disagree with the basic contention that anthropogenic climate change and global warming are related are infitessimally small. There is no credible organisation in the world that supports their theories, any more than there are credible biologists' organisations who support young earth creationism. And as evidenced by John Christy above, when they are credible scientists they do not even listen to their own research. As an outsider, I therefore have to conclude that their pronouncements are not driven by science, but by another agenda.

3. Why should I - or anyone - bother with sites (often funded by the oil lobby) who collate data which has been debunked? Where there is genuine scientific debate, it happens within the community. A good recent example is some data which appeared to show the northern oceans are not warming as expected. The skeptics all pounced on this, while the rest of the community said "this is anomoulous, we should investigate". It was eventually shown that the new data set was incorrect, and has now been discounted and accepted as such by all sides ( a good summary of what happened can be found here). This is how scientific debate works, not by oil-funded sources spreading disinformation.

Oh, and I can only assume you didn't bother to read the link I posted earlier which is a good, patient eplanation of the role of C02 (to save you the bother, here it is again). To hide behind a word like "proof" in this scientific context is on the same level (again) as those who claim that evolution has not been "proved". Both are technically correct, but fail to understand what science is and how it works.

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Convince me.

Myrrh, based on the evidence on this thread, I would say that it is reasonably proved that there is no connection between the provability of a proposition and your likelihood of being convinced of it.

In other words, scientifically driven Myrrh-change does not exist.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:
Noiseboy, there are a great many scientists debunking global warming.

Not true of climate scientists. Christy is one of a very tiny handful, whom I cannot take seriously since his own peer reviewed recent research discredits his earlier theories about the troposphere. In 2005, he wrote:

quote:
John Christy: Temperature Trends in the Lower Atmosphere - Understanding and Reconciling Differences:
Previously reported discrepancies between the amount of warming near the surface and higher in the atmosphere have been used to challenge the reliability of climate models and the reality of human-induced global warming. Specifically, surface data showed substantial global-average warming, while early versions of satellite and radiosonde data showed little or no warming above the surface. This significant discrepancy no longer exists because errors in the satellite and radiosonde data have been identified and corrected.

And yet he went on camera on the GCCS to espouse his earlier theory - which he himself has admitted was false and based on erroneous data. This is contemptable.

Sigh. And it's not contempible to say "First of all, saying "historically" is misleading, because Barton is actually talking about CO2 changes on very long (glacial-interglacial) timescales. On historical timescales, CO2 has definitely led, not lagged, temperature."?

Which comes from the RealClimate bullshit page you recommend for enlightenment on this subject.

IT HAS NOWHERE BEEN PROVED THAT CO2 DEFINITELY LED TEMPERATURE

Please, this is the whole of the theory. YOU show me the actual data and reasoning to reach this conclusion and show me the scientists who have produced reasoned arguments from scientific data to make this specific claim.

Myrrh

--------------------

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, in the strictly deductive sense this may be true -- we may not have sufficient data to deduce the relationship.

But from the data we do have, it seems a sufficiently compelling working hypothesis that it ought at least to be followed up.

Your argument seems to me to be along the same lines as that of the Victorian slum landlords who argued that, since it couldn't be proven that shit-infested drinking water was the cause of cholera, it was unnecessary to improve sanitation.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
quote:

Well, in the strictly deductive sense this may be true -- we may not have sufficient data to deduce the relationship.
We don't have any.

quote:
But from the data we do have, it seems a sufficiently compelling working hypothesis that it ought at least to be followed up.
Show me what we actually "do have"..

"At least to be followed up" is not the message here - it's already a proven theory and you'd better believe it or else message.

quote:
Your argument seems to me to be along the same lines as that of the Victorian slum landlords who argued that, since it couldn't be proven that shit-infested drinking water was the cause of cholera, it was unnecessary to improve sanitation.
Oh please, give me a break. Actual historical data show that CO2 lags behind global warming, through the ups and downs of temperature change. Actual significant global rises of man-made CO2 show decline in temperature.

All I'm asking is for reasonable data and arguments to show that this base hypothesis has any reality - if I thought this was a "sufficiently compelling hypothesis" I wouldn't waste my time arguing with you here.

I haven't found anything of the sort. What I have found is actual physical data showing no such thing and directly contradicting this hypothesis. What I have found is spin doctoring taking data out of context and creating ridiculous scenarios. What I have found is global warming models not taking into consideration vital information, such as the sun.

What I have found, in short, is the whole of this based on junk science.

What I have found, as I detailed earlier, is that the IPCC's original conclusion was changed in '95 without there being any change in data, and since 'all the governments of the world and all the real scientists agreeing to the truth of global warming' have come from that extraordinary change in IPCC conclusion, I can only conclude that the whole shebbang is political.

Please, show me the data and reasoning by real scientists to inspire confidence in this theory. Is that really too much to ask?

Myrrh

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:

Please, this is the whole of the theory.

You are never ever ever going to get it, are you?

The whole point of that "bullshit" article from an actual peer-reviewed climate scientist that contains oh-my-god-real-science is that historically, CO2 has NOT led temperature. It is an amplifier. A feedback agent. It makes it worse. It amplifies what is already going on. It exacerbates it. It contiunes an upward trend. It warms further. My thesorous is not to hand, so that will have to do.

It has always done so, it is provable in simple experiments. Historically, CO2 has lagged temperature. This time, uniquely, we have added extra CO2 to the atmosphere by human intervention, making it warmer in accordance with the laws of physics. It doesn't matter if it comes 1st or 2nd - it just makes the world wamer. It really isn't that hard to understand, as the rest of the non-Myrrh world realises.

Teufelchen - [Overused]

[ 03. May 2007, 13:58: Message edited by: Noiseboy ]

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

General musing - I wonder at what point people like Myrrh will finally concede? My guess is never - people believe what they want to believe. As the BBC link a few posts up shows, the measured effects of global warming are now exceeding every single computer model that has been used to predict what will happen. Far from the IPCC being somehow building "ridiculous" scenarios, there is every evidence that political interference makes them too conservative (as I type, this is happening again with China threatening to veto the latest paper because the latest science shows that things are worse than we'd all like to admit). What, I wonder, does it take for people wake up and smell the warming?
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

Please, this is the whole of the theory.

You are never ever ever going to get it, are you?

The whole point of that "bullshit" article from an actual peer-reviewed climate scientist that contains oh-my-god-real-science is that historically, CO2 has NOT led temperature. It is an amplifier. A feedback agent. It makes it worse. It amplifies what is already going on. It exacerbates it. It contiunes an upward trend. It warms further. My thesorous is not to hand, so that will have to do.

It has always done so, it is provable in simple experiments. Historically, CO2 has lagged temperature. This time, uniquely, we have added extra CO2 to the atmosphere by human intervention, making it warmer in accordance with the laws of physics. It doesn't matter if it comes 1st or 2nd - it just makes the world wamer. It really isn't that hard to understand, as the rest of the non-Myrrh world realises.

Teufelchen - [Overused]

Hopefully for the last time. None of you has proved in any way that man-made CO2 has contributed in any significant way to the warming experienced from the end of the Mini Ice Age.

Which itself is but one of several in the rise and fall of temperature since the peak around 8k years ago in our particular interglacial and which shows it's of the kind in the consistently obvious pattern of global warming and cooling of the earth in the last 450 thousand years whether or not humans were around and in the general pattern regardless of any local events such as for example volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, or forest clearing by hunter/gatherers and farmers burning them; local human imput is not unique to our time. In other words, local events of which anthropogenic imput is one have no obvious, no significant effect, in the longer and consistent pattern of global warming and cooling as the graph on ice covering shows. Ice covering has come and gone in this same pattern regardless of the many and varied local events during the period.

Uncomfortable as it may be for some, in this particular debate man's ego is the driving force of the theory because in reality man's imput can't be shown to be statistically significant.

Back to the logic. The argument goes as follows:

"the earth got warmer since records began and this coincided with an increase in industrial CO2 production therefore CO2 caused the warming."

It's rather scary that this is now considered by 'all governments and global scientists' as scientific proof.

But even if you think it actually matters that we're contributing to the "greenhouse effect" and this is a bad thing (bad thing for whom? There could be billions who get a better climate and don't much care if this drowns New York..) can you show me a climate model that includes the historical pattern of ice covering, the CO2 time lag of 800 years, solar variation, El Nino, water vapour etc. and which shows statistical significance of anthropogenic CO2 in the scheme of things? You can? Please do so.

For example, why is water vapour excluded from such an important model as the US produced?

Water Vapour

quote:
1. The following table was constructed from data published by the U.S. Department of Energy (1) and other sources, summarizing concentrations of the various atmospheric greenhouse gases. Because some of the concentrations are very small the numbers are stated in parts per billion. DOE chose to NOT show water vapor as a greenhouse gas!
If you seriously believe that such a table has anything to do with real science then there's little point in continuing this discussion.

I feel terribly sad for the real scientists who devote years to a small area of this climate subject such as ice core and tree ring analysis in the hope that they can come together with other specialists to actually understand our climate while prominence is given to the charlatans who are willing to produce such corrupt tables to create this imaginary "beyond reasonable doubt" that man-made CO2 is significantly driving global warming.

Myrrh

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For example, why is water vapour excluded from such an important model as the US produced?

Water Vapour

I've not checked your link, the URL looks like another one-man-in-his-shed type sites. So, I don't know what he's working from when he cites "US DOE data" - most descriptions of the chemical composition of the atmosphere give the composition of dry air for the very good reason that that's effectively uniform across the earths surface, whereas water vapour content is highly variable both regionally and temporally. That doesn't mean that the scientist composing the table has been negligent in omitting water vapour, it's just that including it would make the table impossible to comprehend or relevant to a very specific situation ("on the average June day in Washington DC, at noon, the atmospheric composition is ...", fat lot of good that'll be for a January night in Glasgow).

It's certainly not true that climate scientists ignore water vapour. Here's a quote from the recently released IPCC WG1 report, from the FAQs pages because I haven't had time to read the rest yet
quote:
Water vapour is the most important greenhouse gas, and carbon dioxide (CO2) is the second-most important one. Methane, nitrous oxide, ozone and several other gases present in the atmosphere in small amounts also contribute to the greenhouse effect.

as the atmosphere warms due to rising levels of greenhouse gases, its concentration of water vapour increases, further intensifying the greenhouse effect. This in turn causes more warming, which causes an additional increase in water vapour, in a self-reinforcing cycle. This water vapour feedback may be strong enough to approximately double the increase in the greenhouse effect due to the added CO2 alone.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if you read it Alan, but there was some comments in the news this past week about scientists trying to block the release of the DVD of the Great Global Warming Swindle. Their argument was that the places where there were demonstrably false claims should be corrected. My own view is that they should release it as it is then all can see how laughable the whole programme was. I'm sorry, for those of found it impressive, I was distinctly underwhelmed by most of its ridiculous claims.

So there may well be a chance for you to see it in its entirety. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts in this case. There are several sections where you need very little scientific knowledge to realise how stupid they think the British public is. Favourites of mine were the speeded up film of the (seasonal!) expanding and shrinking of the ice cap, and the claim that a solar panel won't solve Africa's problems. A bit like I suppose a lump of coal or a canister of gas won't solve them either.

Then of course there are all the issues that have been covered by yourself and noiseboy.

It is probably one of the funniest TV documentaries ever. Do see it if you can.

Luigi

[ 03. May 2007, 21:45: Message edited by: Luigi ]

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

I no longer have any clue what planet you are talking about, Myrrh, or indeed are on. There are now so many straw men heaped up on top of you that you that, with global warming and all, the whole lot could go up at any moment. You keep inventing arguments such as "the entire theory comes down to CO2 leading temperature" or "everyone ignores water vapour" or "no-one has proved CO2 has a warming effect" which are patently total complete and utter worthless baseless nonsensical mindless scientific-less drivel. No matter how many times the rest of us wearily point this out with credible references, there you are assembling the next straw man. A kind of Straw Man Terminator - "He will not stop. Ever." In the remaining micron of constructive spirit I have left, however, I'll just link this one page which simply answers pretty much every straw man argument you have thus far raised and the next 47 that you will raise. It may not be definitive, but it least bears a passing resemblance to science.

Forgive for yet again restating the blindingly obvious - you are asking us to believe you and your veritable army of straw men (without any climate science credentials among the lot of you) armed only with Google and a brace of one-man-in-a-farm websites. Rather than listen to the global scientific community which is subject to rigorous, peer-review - which for some reason terrifies you. Possibly this is because you believe the entire community was created in a laboratory by Margaret Thatcher with a bolt through her neck which, to be fair, would be quite scary. If it wasn't complete bollocks.

Before I get a hell warning, I think for my own sanity I think I better skip Myrrh's posts from here on in...

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
and the claim that a solar panel won't solve Africa's problems. A bit like I suppose a lump of coal or a canister of gas won't solve them either.

On this point I must jump as you are misrepresenting something yourself here. The point being made on that occasion was that the West - where cheap, carbon producing fuel has been enjoyed without so much as the bat of an eyelid for how long? - is now dictating to the developing world that because of global warming deposits of things like coal and oil should not be used but instead more expensive and less effective means such as solar panels should be adopted.

The point was very clearly about Western cultural imperialism and not about solving Africa's problems. And the point was one I agreed with wholeheartedly.

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Also, in some cases at least, the installation of solar panels etc in developing countries is being done in part with funding from "carbon offsetting" schemes. If we're to tackle global warming as a global problem, then sooner or later Kyoto-like agreements on reducing CO2 emissions will have to be agreed between all nations rather than just those currently producing most of that CO2. Many developing nations may have already found that many of the easy and inexpensive options for CO2 reduction have already been implemented by the rich countries seeking to avoid reducing their own emissions.

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Luigi's point re the solar panel in Africa was entirely fair. We were shown one ridiculous setup, and asked to deduce from this that all attempts to reduce carbon emissions in developing countries are evil. It was pretty risible.

I asked the question before on this specific example which no-one responded to. How on earth was the demonstrated setup even possible? We had a fridge (average power consumption 400w) and a lightbulb (typical power consumption 11w). We were asked to believe that the system was so delicately balanced that one could only have one or the other. The relative numbers involved are ridiculous - the lightbulb adds an extra 3% of power consumption.

Given that we know that director Durkin misrepresents his subjects, uses and misappropriates fraudulent data all the while accusing everyone else of "lying", is it too much to suggest that the African example used was also faked to make a point? It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Luigi suggested that to draw any conclusions from this extremely dodgy example is ridiculous, and I'm with him all the way. Africa's greatest natural resource is the sun - in some cases they have very little else. Compare and contrast the rubbish single panel used in GCCS with a BBC report this week about an amazing-looking new solar tower in Spain (do click the link, the picture is incredible). In the TV report on this, there was breathless speculation that loads of these towers could be built in Africa - brilliant. But guess what it would be for - to supply power to Europe! (An aside - the Australians are building one too).

So why not build these towers near major African cities? Smaller rural solar parks near villages? It makes best use of their greatest natural resource, the fuel is free and has zero carbon emissions. Ramped up to an appropriate scale, it could be a huge component in driving Africa's development. Call me naieve, but that doesn't sound too evil to me.

The latest IPCC paper advocates a worldwide cut of 85% carbon emissions, starting now. The developed world has to act first by example, but there is little point if the devloping world does not follow (China overtakes the US this year as the greatest single emitter). The IPCC estimates that this will cost 3% of global GDP. Since America's space program in the 60s cost 4% of GDP, using less to keep our planet habitable for future generations doesn't seem like too much of a sacrifice to me.

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

Water Vapour

I've not checked your link, the URL looks like another one-man-in-his-shed type sites. So, I don't know what he's working from when he cites "US DOE data" - most descriptions of the chemical composition of the atmosphere give the composition of dry air for the very good reason that that's effectively uniform across the earths surface, whereas water vapour content is highly variable both regionally and temporally. That doesn't mean that the scientist composing the table has been negligent in omitting water vapour, it's just that including it would make the table impossible to comprehend or relevant to a very specific situation ("on the average June day in Washington DC, at noon, the atmospheric composition is ...", fat lot of good that'll be for a January night in Glasgow).

It's certainly not true that climate scientists ignore water vapour. Here's a quote from the recently released IPCC WG1 report, from the FAQs pages because I haven't had time to read the rest yet
quote:
Water vapour is the most important greenhouse gas, and carbon dioxide (CO2) is the second-most important one. Methane, nitrous oxide, ozone and several other gases present in the atmosphere in small amounts also contribute to the greenhouse effect.

as the atmosphere warms due to rising levels of greenhouse gases, its concentration of water vapour increases, further intensifying the greenhouse effect. This in turn causes more warming, which causes an additional increase in water vapour, in a self-reinforcing cycle. This water vapour feedback may be strong enough to approximately double the increase in the greenhouse effect due to the added CO2 alone.

Called a milk-sop to deflect the vast amount of adverse publicity of contradictory evidence to its original (er, revised 1995 conclusion without change in data) that man-made CO2 emissions are the real driving force of global warming and the whole of mankind should therefore reduce it, hence Kyoto.

This means not a lot since it hasn't established that CO2 drives global warming, or as it says here 'that rising levels of greenhouse gases are the cause of global warming'.

Let's just admit that this imaginary consensus among climate scientists doesn't exist and leaving aside the political/vested interest (including ego) of both sides let us continue to explore what science offers to our understanding of climate.

The subject of the weather has always been a common denominator among humans and as has been often pointed out to me here, the science is simple enough for anyone to understand..

As the astrophysicist Dr Shariv points out in the Real Deal linked above, it's now obvious from the mass of data available that it's the earth's relationship to the sun which is the driving force of our climate change and goes on: "The sun's strong role indicates that greenhouse gases can't have much of an influence on the climate -- that C02 et al. don't dominate through some kind of leveraging effect that makes them especially potent drivers of climate change. The upshot of the Earth not being unduly sensitive to greenhouse gases is that neither increases nor cutbacks in future C02 emissions will matter much in terms of the climate.

Even doubling the amount of CO2 by 2100, for example, "will not dramatically increase the global temperature," Dr. Shaviv states. Put another way: "Even if we halved the CO2 output, and the CO2 increase by 2100 would be, say, a 50% increase relative to today instead of a doubled amount, the expected reduction in the rise of global temperature would be less than 0.5C. This is not significant." (Real Deal)

What is significant is that statistical significance is ignored by the vociferous global warming lobby.

Bearing the remarkable correlation of the sun's activity to temperature changes in mind and back to local events interacting with this. On the subject of water vapour (Greenhouse data) the point being made is that this is the most potent of the greenhouse gases and the emphasis on CO2 and from this the emphasis of industrial CO2 in models excluding water vapour are not scientifically realistic. Water vapour is by far the largest component of greenhouse gases, to ignore the importance of this makes nonsense of climate models which do, however difficult this is to measure.

An interesting view is the recent one proposed by Shaidurov:
quote:
(The Tunguska Event and Ice Crystals)

However, the most potent greenhouse gas is water, explains Shaidurov and it is this compound on which his study focuses. According to Shaidurov, only small changes in the atmospheric levels of water, in the form of vapour and ice crystals can contribute to significant changes to the temperature of the earth's surface, which far outweighs the effects of carbon dioxide and other gases released by human activities. Just a rise of 1% of water vapour could raise the global average temperature of Earth's surface more then 4 degrees Celsius

How accurate this 4 degree rise is for others to confirm or refute, but as the majority component of the greehouse gases its exclusion from actual climate models used in this argument doesn't make any sense, it's 95-98% of the subject matter.

Water Vapour

quote:
Saturation, Nonlinearity and Overlap
in the Radiative Efficiencies of Greenhouse Gases

If one pursues the question of how much of the greenhouse effect is due to each of the various greenhouse gases one finds a perplexing variety of answers in the literature. One source says that 95 percent of the greenhouse effect is due to water vapor, another 98 percent. These figures may be referring to the proportion, by weight or volume, of water vapor among the greenhouse gases of the atmosphere. Another source says that proportion water vapor is responsible for is between 36 and 70 percent. Water droplets in clouds account for another 10 to 15 percent so water as liquid or vapor accounts for between 46 and 85 percent of the greenhouse effect. The same source attributes 9 to 26 percent of the greenhouse effect to carbon dioxide (CO2).

The perplexingly wide range is explained by the source as being due to the nonlinearity of the response of the atmosphere to greenhouse gases and the overlap of the absorption spectra of the various greenhouse gases. The phenomenon is explained no further than evoking the terms nonlinearity and overlap. This material below is an attempt to clarify the situation.

Climate Change 2001 gives a figure for the radiative efficiency of CO2 of 0.01548 W/m²/ppmv but emphasizes this figure is to be used only for the computation of global warming potentials. It is incredible how the scientific works on global warming can leave H2O entirely out of the picture. A diligent search of source other than Climate Change 2001 reveals that the radiative efficiency of water vapor is fifty to sixty percent greater than that of CO2. For more on the role of water, in liquid and vapor forms, on the climate see Water.

The climate modelers of course presume that the level of water vapor in the atmosphere is a function of the global temperature and is therefore a derived effect. Even if this were strictly true it would not hurt to have the data on water vapor displayed for comparison. However those modelers, despite the criticality of the assumption, never display a graph showing the data in which global humidity is a function of the level of global temperature. There is a crucial conceptual error involved in those models. It is one thing for water vapor concentration to be a function of global temperature, but an entirely different matter for water vapor concentration to be a function only of temperature. For more on this topic see Water Vapor.

"Crucial conceptual error" sums up what I've concluded from this discussion.

Myrrh

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Pertinent to the African question, Desmond Tutu writes an excellent article in today's UK Guardian.
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Luigi's point re the solar panel in Africa was entirely fair. We were shown one ridiculous setup, and asked to deduce from this that all attempts to reduce carbon emissions in developing countries are evil.

Wrong.

It was about telling African people what to do when they are trying to crawl out of poverty. That kind of western arrogance makes me puke.

It was a good point well made. You're bound to be derisive as you wrote off the programme before you even watched it!

--------------------

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

It's an excellent example of the fear generated among those who actually care about the human condition and who base their fears on the IPCC and global warming charlatans as can be seen by his use of Katrina as if true.

quote:
Chris Lansea, former research meteorologist, NOAA, Science and Operations Officer at the National Hurricane Center, said on PBS, "we certainly see substantial warming in the ocean and atmosphere over the last several decades on the order of a degree Fahrenheit, and I have no doubt a portion of that, at least, is due to greenhouse warming."

Landsea explains his resignation from the IPCC in 2005.

Dear colleagues,

After some prolonged deliberation, I have decided to withdraw from participating in the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). I am withdrawing because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns.

With this open letter to the community, I wish to explain the basis for my decision and bring awareness to what I view as a problem in the IPCC process. The IPCC is a group of climate researchers from around the world that every few years summarize how climate is changing and how it may be altered in the future due to manmade global warming. I had served both as an author for the Observations chapter and a Reviewer for the 2nd Assessment Report in 1995 and the 3rd Assessment Report in 2001, primarily on the topic of tropical cyclones (hurricanes and typhoons). My work on hurricanes, and tropical cyclo nes more generally, has been widely cited by the IPCC. For the upcoming AR4, I was asked several weeks ago by the Observations chapter Lead Author---Dr. Kevin Trenberth---to provide the writeup for Atlantic hurricanes. As I had in the past, I agreed to assist the IPCC in what I thought was to be an important, and politically-neutral determination of what is happening with our climate.

Shortly after Dr. Trenberth requested that I draft the Atlantic hurricane section for the AR4's Observations chapter, Dr. Trenberth participated in a press conference organized by scientists at Harvard on the topic "Experts to warn global warming likely to continue spurring more outbreaks of intense hurricane activity" along with other media interviews on the topic. The result of this media interaction was widespread coverage that directly connected the very busy 2004 Atlantic hurricane season as being caused by anthropogenic greenhouse gas warming occurring today. Listening to and reading trans cripts of this press conference and media interviews, it is apparent that Dr. Trenberth was being accurately quoted and summarized in such statements and was not being misrepresented in the media. These media sessions have potential to result in a widespread perception that global warming has made recent hurricane activity much more severe.
I found it a bit perplexing that the participants in the Harvard press conference had come to the conclusion that global warming was impacting hurricane activity today. To my knowledge, none of the participants in that press conference had performed any research on hurricane variability, nor were they reporting on any new work in the field. All previous and current research in the area of hurricane variability has shown no reliable, long-term trend up in the frequency or intensity of tropical cyclones, either in the Atlantic or any other basin. The IPCC assessments in 1995 and 2001 also concluded that there was no global warming signal found in the hurricane record.

Moreover, the evidence is quite strong and supported by the most recent credible studies that any impact in the future from global warming upon hurricane will likely be quite small. The latest results from the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (Knutson and Tuleya, Journal of Climate, 2004) suggest that by around 2080, hurricanes may have winds and rainfall about 5% more intense than today. It has been proposed that even this tiny change may be an exaggeration as to what may happen by the end of the 21st Century (Michaels, Knappenberger, and Landsea, Journal of Climate, 2005, submitted).

It is beyond me why my colleagues would utilize the media to push an unsupported agenda that recent hurricane activity has been due to global warming. Given Dr. Trenberth's role as the IPCC's Lead Author responsible for preparing the text on hurricanes, his public statements so far outside of current scientific understanding led me to concern that it would be very difficult for the IPCC process to proceed objectively with regards to the assessment on hurricane activity.

continued on:(Global Warmer believer who resigned from the IPCC)

The actual reason that global warming theorists are against the distribution of the Durkin dvd is that it contains damning evidence of scientific fraud such as this and the mosquito desception.

Chris Landsea ends: "I personally cannot in good faith continue to contribute to a process that I view as both being motivated by pre-conceived agendas and being scientifically unsound. As the IPCC leadership has seen no wrong in Dr. Trenberth's actions and have retained him as a Lead Author for the AR4, I have decided to no longer participate in the IPCC AR4.Sincerely,
Chris Landsea 17 January 2005"

Noiseboy, you may truly believe that the consensus for global warming is global and accurate and apolitical, but examples such as this and the mosquito deception mentioned on the Durkin programme and discussed earlier destroy the IPCC's credibility to scientific accuracy. Doesn't any of this bother you?

Myrrh

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
Before I get a hell warning, I think for my own sanity I think I better skip Myrrh's posts from here on in...

Tough on you, but you began this to thread to deal with this.

Myrrh

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Noiseboy, ..and moreover, your dismissal of all contradictory information is insulting to those who you've called to participate in the argument in a thread you specifically set up to answer them.

Referring me to this page (How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic) because "In the remaining micron of constructive spirit I have left, however, I'll just link this one page which simply answers pretty much every straw man argument you have thus far raised and the next 47 that you will raise. It may not be definitive, but it least bears a passing resemblance to science." as if it is all I need to see the error of my conclusion is not going to work - you'll have to do better.

The very first link I went to - b) Contradictory evidence: Antarctic sea ice is increasing - took me to a page deriding contradictory evidence of the global warming scenario that we're already causing the ice to thin and providing a report which it claims shows that the contrary evidence is not true. Please note the last post on that page by DaveR

"You've misunderstood the report you linked to, which is referring to total Antarctic ice mass, rather than to sea ice."

Er, passing resemblance to science is not shown here, do I think I'd be more impressed by the other pages?

This melting ice nail hammered into the objectors is one I would like to have explored further because on my trawl through earlier I found it to be a good example of corrupt data produced by global warming protagonists.

I really don't have the time to produce a paper on this, but perhaps we could take it as a topic to work through here?

Let me begin with the size of the problem:

Alan Titchmarch said in his programme on Britain that the end of the ice age happened rather quickly, over a period of 50years, and raised the sea level by 300 ft.

Nasa page says: "The West Antarctic Ice Sheet is also showing some signs of thinning. Either ice sheet, if melted completely, contains enough ice to raise sea level by 5-7 m. A global temperature rise of 2-5°C might destabilize Greenland irreversibly. Such a temperature rise lies within the range of several future climate projections for the 21st century. However, any significant meltdown would take many centuries." (Sea Level Rise, After the Ice Melted and Today By Vivien Gornitz — January 2007)

This is the first problem I've found here, my bold, that doomsday scenarios of manmade CO2 melting the ice caps and flooding the world are taking figures which relate to sea level rises over centuries and present them as if they are due next week.

However, what this report assumes is that sea ice is thinning - but this isn't the case if other studies show not only that they're not, but that they're actually thickening.

quote:
Antarctic sea ice edge expanding

A study published in the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Climate (Yuan, X. and Martinson, D.G., "Antarctic sea ice extent variability and its global connectivity," Volume 13: 1697-1717 (2000)) demonstrated the Antarctic polar ice cap has been expanding. According to the study, 18 years of satellite data indicate the mean Antarctic sea ice edge has expanded by 0.011 degrees of latitude toward the equator each year.

A later study, also published in Journal of Climate (Watkins, A.B. and Simmonds, I., "Current trends in Antarctic sea ice: The 1990s impact on a short climatology," Volume 13: 4441-4451 (2000)) reached a similar conclusion. The study reported significant increases in Antarctic sea ice between 1987 and 1996. The study further indicated the 1990s exhibited increases in the length of the sea-ice season.

Arctic ice thickening, expanding

A study published in Geophysical Research Letters (Winsor, P., "Arctic sea ice thickness remained constant during the 1990s," Volume 28: 1039-1041 (2001)) found the same to be true in the Arctic. The study concluded, "mean ice thickness has remained on a near-constant level around the North Pole from 1986-1997." Moreover, the study noted data from six different submarine cruises under the Arctic sea ice showed little variability and a "slight increasing trend" in the 1990s.

Just off the Arctic polar ice cap, ice coverage in Greenland was also shown to be steady and likely increasing. A study in Journal of Geophysical Research (Comiso, J.C., Wadhams, P., Pedersen, L.T. and Gersten, R.A., Volume 106: 9093-9116 (2001)) concluded that, annual variances notwithstanding, the Odden ice tongue in Greenland exhibited no statistically significant change from 1979 to 1998. Moreover, proxy reconstruction of the ice tongue utilizing air temperature data indicated the ice covers a greater area today than it did several decades ago. (Polar Ice Cap Studies Refute Catastrophic Global Warming Theories
by James M. Taylor (December 16, 2001)
)

Myrrh

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
Wrong.

It was about telling African people what to do when they are trying to crawl out of poverty. That kind of western arrogance makes me puke.

It was a good point well made. You're bound to be derisive as you wrote off the programme before you even watched it!

Littlelady - I know you don't accept the IPCC, but if you did (as the overwhelming majority of the rest of the world does) you'd know that action has to be global - the latest document calls for an 85% carbon emission reduction. It may make you personally puke, but what it amounts to is that, unless every country signs up to drastic changes, hundreds of millions more in Africa will probably die. So no offence, but I'd rather have you puke than that. And as I pointed out, African development is perfectly possible without futher buggering up the climate and making their dire situation even worse.

Yes I did write off the programme before I watched it - based on the proven track record of the director (ruled against by the ITC and on record as misprepresenting subjects, and making programmes that tried to convince women that breast implants are good for them). His final programme has been shown to be demonstrably false in almost every aspect (false and misappropriated data, misprepresenting subjects, critial data omission etc), and Ofcom are investigating 250 complaints. IMHO, my early judgement was vindicated.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
unless every country signs up to drastic changes, hundreds of millions more in Africa will probably die.

Right. Yeah. So you say. But even if such melodrama proves to be correct, it is up to Africans to decide for themselves whether they want to do this. It isn't up to hypocritical self-righteous colonialist westerners to start ordering Africans around or depriving them of the means to crawl out of poverty and deprivation. The West doesn't have a God-given right to dictate what other nations do. They only have the right to ask. Politely.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was a good point well made.

Except it failed to mention that:

(a) In rural parts of Africa, solar panels can be far more cost effective than building an entire transmission network of pylons etc.
(b) The problems could have been solved with an extra solar panel...Africa has a resources problem that is nothing to do with Evil Greens.
(c) Africa is likely to be one of the places hardest (and soonest) hit by global warming.
(d) Africa (and the rest of the developing world) is acknowledged to be a different case to the West, and so the Annex II countries are specifically exempt from Kyoto obligations.

Failing to mention the last point seemed a very big omission.

The "Western Imperialism crushing the African dream" idea also runs contrary to one of the main objections many people in the West seem to have - that global warming is a UN scam engineered by third world countries to rob the industrial nations of their hard-earned wealth. Remarkably, some people seem to be able believe both ideas, provided it gives them cause to doubt AGW.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could somebody comment on this please.

Thanks

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Except it failed to mention that:
(a) In rural parts of Africa, solar panels can be far more cost effective than building an entire transmission network of pylons etc.
(b) The problems could have been solved with an extra solar panel...Africa has a resources problem that is nothing to do with Evil Greens.
(c) Africa is likely to be one of the places hardest (and soonest) hit by global warming.
(d) Africa (and the rest of the developing world) is acknowledged to be a different case to the West, and so the Annex II countries are specifically exempt from Kyoto obligations.

Failing to mention the last point seemed a very big omission.

It failed to omit a thousand and one things. So does every programme. So what? Just because the nations of the developing world were exempt (how gracious of us!) from signing up to a (Western initiated) document - which, from media reports anyway, seems not to be worth the paper it is written on - does not mean African nations are not coming under pressure to avoid developing any [carbon producing] resources they may have available.

As I've said before, the point being made was the pressure being applied by Western nations to use only certain forms of power, not that all solar energy was bad or the use of other energy sources was always the best option.

quote:
The "Western Imperialism crushing the African dream" idea also runs contrary to one of the main objections many people in the West seem to have - that global warming is a UN scam engineered by third world countries to rob the industrial nations of their hard-earned wealth. Remarkably, some people seem to be able believe both ideas, provided it gives them cause to doubt AGW.
Not me. I've no idea what the UN is up to. I just get tired of hearing westerners (governments and individuals) pontificate about African nations. I do wish we'd stop thinking of the continent as somehow available to 'our' interference.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog - maybe it was me, but the article seemed pretty incoherent, interspersed fairly random quotes. Could you tell me what "human activity has less than a 10% impact on the environment" actually means? Or the relevance that "energy sent by the sun and volcanic activity that spits out lava and enormous quantities of substances in the atmosphere"?

That's not a critism of Zichichi btw. He's a well-respected nuclear physicist, and I'm sure the original speech made more sense than those out-of-context quotes. It's hard to comment more without seeing a transcript.

But ultimately he's talking about an area outside his expertise, and so his opinions are largely irrelevant to actual science (where experts in an area critique each other's work, i.e. peer-reviewing). Why should his views be particularly newsworthy?

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Littlelady wrote:
It failed to omit a thousand and one things. So does every programme. So what?

It matters because if Durkin is making the case that Africa is specifically being "interfered with" then he needs to show (a) that this is happening, and (b) how it is happening.

Being declared exempt from the only legislation available for regulating CO2 emissions implies to me that Africa had fewer restrictions placed on them than the developed world. It also means the mechanism must be something else - why didn't he explain how it was done?

After all, the only evidence shown in the programme that there was any pressure at all was the hospital with its strange (and as Noiseboy pointed out, slightly suspicious) fridge/light bulb dilemma.

Btw I do agree with you that the way Africa has often been interfered with is vile. I just don't see any evidence to think this is necessarily one of those times.

[ 05. May 2007, 19:06: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
quote:
Littlelady wrote:
It failed to omit a thousand and one things. So does every programme. So what?

It matters because if Durkin is making the case that Africa is specifically being "interfered with" then he needs to show (a) that this is happening, and (b) how it is happening.
Well, that's what he did within the context of the programme. You are looking for an entirely different programme to justify your own skepticism. If he had wanted to make a dull documentary then that is what he would have done. But his intention appeared to be to counter the party line with a different viewpoint. The way the programme was constructed and the numerous aspects to the debate that were presented made it compelling viewing to someone who watched it with an open mind, as I did.

Incidentally, it is not the first time I have seen images on TV of 'strange lightbulb dilemmas' in Africa. Even Nairobi, a city of considerable size, has lightbulb dilemmas. The hotel I'm staying in there has a back-up generator in case of power failure, apparently a fairly common feature of Kenyan life. Stick that scenario in a poor rural environment and you have your lightbulb dilemma.

quote:
Btw I do agree with you that the way Africa has often been interfered with is vile. I just don't see any evidence to think this is necessarily one of those times.
So African nations are free to develop any natural gas or oil or coal reserves they may have? No-one will object?

--------------------

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My memory of the African part of the Durkin programme was of a young man looking sad because he had to choose between running a fridge and a light. There was only the most tenuous link with the global warming debate that I could see: that if we all have to reduce our energy use, there may be difficult choices.

In this case, why did the person who specified the components of the solar panel system not do so with regard to the expected load? I have 'designed' (as an exercise on a development course) an identical system to run a vaccine fridge and lighting for use in a location in Africa where there was no local power supply. 'Design' consists of selecting components appropriate to the expected load.

GW will affect us all but why choose an example where CO2 is irrevelent to try to show the 'wrongness' of the link between CO2 and global warming? Very odd logic.

The thing that annoyed me more than the irrelevance, was that it ignored the fact that GW effects will impact the poor most of all, while trying to suggest that the best chance we have to solve the problem is just naughty people wanting to stop this poor man having enough electricity!

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boggis:
In this case, why did the person who specified the components of the solar panel system not do so with regard to the expected load?

Who knows?

What did people expect of this programme? A degree in physics or electrical engineering or something? It wasn't supposed to be Open University, you know! And with all the elements that people on here have suggested should have been included, the programme would have been about three days long!

quote:
The thing that annoyed me more than the irrelevance, was that it ignored the fact that GW effects will impact the poor most of all, while trying to suggest that the best chance we have to solve the problem is just naughty people wanting to stop this poor man having enough electricity!
Well, at least you sort of got the point that was being put across, even if you appear defensive about it. You missed the implication of hypocrisy, however. For it is hypocritical of Western nations (or organisations within them) to pressurise African nations not to do something those same Western nations have been happily doing for decades just because those same Western nations (according to the pro-manmade lobby) have fucked it all up.

Another issue that the whole programme raised by implication rather than overtly was that of the now -v- future aspect of the global warming debate. How that relates to Africa is what matters more? The relief of poverty, starvation and fatal sickness now (which may mean using fossil burning fuels, if a country has such available to them) or of death by another means (which is not yet tangible) at some point in the future? Which is more important - to the African?

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
You are looking for an entirely different programme to justify your own skepticism. If he had wanted to make a dull documentary then that is what he would have done. But his intention appeared to be to counter the party line with a different viewpoint. The way the programme was constructed and the numerous aspects to the debate that were presented made it compelling viewing to someone who watched it with an open mind, as I did.
You're right, it was compelling viewing, as well as being beautifully filmed. It's caused a massive stir, and doubtless will continue to do so - I just wish that Monbiot's crappy "Greenwash" programme the previous week had been a fraction as good.

However, as compelling as it was emotionally, it didn't seem to offer much in the way of rational argument. I'm not asking for pages of statistics, just some sort of plausible reasoning.

quote:
It isn't up to hypocritical self-righteous colonialist westerners to start ordering Africans around or depriving them of the means to crawl out of poverty and deprivation. The West doesn't have a God-given right to dictate what other nations do.
Those are strong words. Do you have evidence to show that environmental concerns are currently depriving Africans to this extent? Or any extent?

The programme didn't show anything of the sort, and it neglected to mention the huge piece of evidence that demonstrated the reverse.

quote:
So African nations are free to develop any natural gas or oil or coal reserves they may have? No-one will object?
No idea. I haven't heard of any restrictions though.

quote:
[...] it is hypocritical of Western nations (or organisations within them) to pressurise African nations not to do something those same Western nations have been happily doing for decades just because those same Western nations (according to the pro-manmade lobby) have fucked it all up.
Definately. But are they doing that?
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
You're right, it was compelling viewing, as well as being beautifully filmed. It's caused a massive stir, and doubtless will continue to do so

I have to say, that's encouraging. I don't feel quite as [brick wall] now because someone does seem to have grasped the context of the programme: it was intended to stir.

quote:
However, as compelling as it was emotionally, it didn't seem to offer much in the way of rational argument. I'm not asking for pages of statistics, just some sort of plausible reasoning.
But why do you ask that? Think of the last year and all that you have heard about the pro-manmade lobby position. How much of it has been based on 'plausible reasoning'? Just think of almost any media mention of global warming and what do we get? Squillions will die within the next X years if we don't all switch off our lightbulbs NOW! The world will be flooded in ten years time if we don't pay huge taxes to stop everyone from flying NOW!

Plausible reasoning? Maybe in the labs or corridors of scientific debate, but not out here in the ordinary person's world. It's been melodrama after melodrama. The point of this programme was to counteract that at every point. I would have thought that was obvious?

quote:
quote:
It isn't up to hypocritical self-righteous colonialist westerners to start ordering Africans around or depriving them of the means to crawl out of poverty and deprivation. The West doesn't have a God-given right to dictate what other nations do.
Those are strong words.
I know. I get like that sometimes. [Smile]

quote:
quote:
[...] it is hypocritical of Western nations (or organisations within them) to pressurise African nations not to do something those same Western nations have been happily doing for decades just because those same Western nations (according to the pro-manmade lobby) have fucked it all up.
Definately. But are they doing that?
No idea. We've all just been arguing about a programme which suggested that might just be the case. It wouldn't surprise me. Our government or environmental organisations within the UK are bound to be saying and/or doing something to 'change the behaviour' of African nations. God knows is the theme of the moment just now. But if I get the chance, when I visit Tanzania in June, I'll ask. I'd love to hear what Africans themselves have to say about it.

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Little Lady - is it fair to assume you would also approve of slavery or cannibalism if any African nations were to favour it? Don't want to impose our imperialism after all, so each to their own (literally, if they fancy it). Or perhaps it is not so vomitous to have a few necessary global standards in our global village...

The point about hypocrisy is rather unfair, also. You, famously, still are unconvinced about the reality of ACC. Every government in the world now disagrees with you, but this is only a very recent thing - even 10 years ago you'd have had the majority on your side. While the developed world may well have been aware of causing environmental damage, it was certainly unaware (or at least not convinced) it was leading to a potential global catastrophe. Ignorance is bliss, indeed - but we can claim ignorance no longer.

Of course, if NOW the developed world failed to act, having signed up to the IPCC documents, this would indeed be hypocrisy. But since our knowledge is so recent, it does not make our position now hypocritical if we ask for communal global action.

A final point, Littlelady. You consistently fail to address the points that I and others have made that future economic African development need not to be linked to high-emissions. You seem to believe that it is either / or - any development must necessarily go hand in hand with increasing emissions. But this is not the reality of the world today. Also you seem to believe that we in the west are imposing some dreadful new form of slavery by advocating a greener economy - but this is certainly not the view of African leaders like Desmond Tutu (who wrote so eloquently in today's Guardian). So I'm genuinely curious - what exactly is your problem with sustainable African development built on maximum use of local resources (eg. solar) which costs next to nothing to maintain? What is your problem with Africa being liberated from the crippling financial tie to oil?

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boggis:
In this case, why did the person who specified the components of the solar panel system not do so with regard to the expected load?

Who knows?

What did people expect of this programme? A degree in physics or electrical engineering or something? It wasn't supposed to be Open University, you know! And with all the elements that people on here have suggested should have been included, the programme would have been about three days long!

I wasn't wanting the programme to answer technical questions, just not to mislead people by raising spurious arguments. I was pointing out the lack of connection between a poorly designed solar panel system and Global Warming. Many people will have watched and just accepted that the African man's problem is due to nasty environmental scare people.
quote:
quote:
Well, at least you sort of got the point that was being put across, even if you appear defensive about it.
So you agree with me? I'm saying that he argues against the proposed solution to the problem and suggests that the people with the most plausible explanation and solution just want to make things worse!
quote:
You missed the implication of hypocrisy, however. For it is hypocritical of Western nations (or organisations within them) to pressurise African nations not to do something those same Western nations have been happily doing for decades just because those same Western nations (according to the pro-manmade lobby) have fucked it all up.
I'm not aware of any demands that Africa should make any changes, in fact someone above suggested that Africa is exempted. I assume Africa can't make much of a contribution to CO2 compared with heavily industrialised countries and those with lots of planes, cars and coal or gas power stations. Lots of wood fires can't help but tha's not the main problem.

quote:
Another issue that the whole programme raised by implication rather than overtly was that of the now -v- future aspect of the global warming debate. How that relates to Africa is what matters more? The relief of poverty, starvation and fatal sickness now (which may mean using fossil burning fuels, if a country has such available to them) or of death by another means (which is not yet tangible) at some point in the future? Which is more important - to the African?
I agree with you here; people who live in very poor conditions cannot be expected to continue in them unnecessarily. My choice would be for the rich west to reduce our CO2 output just a bit more (we've caused it, not them) so the poorest can carry on whatever they have to do (with our help if they want it) to survive and develop, until they start to pollute significantly (or the climate gets unbearable!)

As Alan has pointed out numerous times, lots of energy-saving measures also save money and someone here said that our carbon taxes could be spent in helping poorer countries develop in less environmentally damaging ways.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Little Lady - is it fair to assume you would also approve of slavery or cannibalism if any African nations were to favour it? Don't want to impose our imperialism after all, so each to their own (literally, if they fancy it). Or perhaps it is not so vomitous to have a few necessary global standards in our global village...

Oh, here we go ...

quote:
The point about hypocrisy is rather unfair, also. You, famously, still are unconvinced about the reality of ACC. Every government in the world now disagrees with you, but this is only a very recent thing - even 10 years ago you'd have had the majority on your side.
Well, I've never been one to jump on bandwagons, Noiseboy. And believe me, you don't insult me by saying that 'every government in the world' disagrees with me! I take that as a compliment! I'm happy not to be in the same league as politicians. Much as I'm sure there are some honest, decent ones out there.

quote:
What is your problem with Africa being liberated from the crippling financial tie to oil?
Because what I want to know is this. Is the liberation you speak of Africa's own idea of liberation (not that a whole continent can share the same opinion of course) or is it the West's version of it? My suspicion is that it may be the West's, not because Africans are somehow ignorant or unaware or have a desire to destroy the world, but because they may have other, more immediately pressing concerns that could actually represent more clearly a sense of liberation to them. It is not our business to determine what liberates Africa. That is Africa's business. Even if we don't like it.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Littlelady wrote:
[...] what matters more? The relief of poverty, starvation and fatal sickness now (which may mean using fossil burning fuels, if a country has such available to them) or of death by another means (which is not yet tangible) at some point in the future? Which is more important - to the African?

Well, that assumes Africans ARE being asked to cut their carbon emissions. Most contraction and convergence proposals allow them to increase - the idea is that ultimately everyone on the planet gets the same carbon allowance.

As for whether the future is more important than the present: it depends how bad the future is likely to be. "Very very bad" seems one realistic outcome at the moment, if we continue business as usual.

I admit it's not a certainty - the (almost) unanimous opinion of the world's climate scientists might be mistaken - some kind of group-think. But hundreds of scientists have pored over the various peer-reviewed journals for YEARS, and frankly I wouldn't want to bet on them being wrong.

It always seems odd to me that people demand the science be proved 100%. (That's not aimed at you Littlelady - just a general observation.) If there's even a 70% chance of it being true (or hell - just a 10% chance), isn't it worth us doing everything possible to avoid potential disaster?

Then if in a few years if it turns out all the experts are wrong (as unlikely as it is), we can all be annoyed but shrug and think "well, oil was running out anyway".

The alternative is to make no meaningful changes and then discover that the scientists were right all along, and the tundra melts, the methane gets released and every nightmare positive feedback kicks in.

I just don't get why the UK spends billions and billions on the Olympics, Millennium Dome, Trident etc, when the chance of catastrophe is looming.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

Clint, let me take two of your statements above:
quote:
I assume Africa can't make much of a contribution to CO2 compared with heavily industrialised countries and those with lots of planes, cars and coal or gas power stations. Lots of wood fires can't help but tha's not the main problem.
and
quote:
My choice would be for the rich west to reduce our CO2 output just a bit more (we've caused it, not them) so the poorest can carry on whatever they have to do (with our help if they want it) to survive and develop, until they start to pollute significantly (or the climate gets unbearable!)
The point the programme was making was that the "until" bit in your second statement could stop Africans from enjoying the content of your first statement: things we have been enjoying for a long time. In other words, what right have we to determine just how far they could develop before they became 'naughty boys and girls' given our track record?

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
It always seems odd to me that people demand the science be proved 100%.

It doesn't seem odd to me. Science makes some enormous claims. It's making one in this context. If science wants to claim it's virtually certain we're all going to die soon from drowning or heatstroke (depending on where we live) if we don't do this or that then it has to be held accountable to a very high standard for such a life-changing claim. If it can't stand the heat of resistence, it shouldn't make the claim in the first place. I've no sympathy for scientists here. They think they know it then they have to show it. Or not, if they don't feel inclined!

quote:
I just don't get why the UK spends billions and billions on the Olympics, Millennium Dome, Trident etc, when the chance of catastrophe is looming.
You don't? Gosh. I do! It's because we are living now, not 100 years from now. No-one can stop living in the present because of something which may, or may not, happen in the future. Would people have stopped having sex if they knew AIDS was just around the corner? No. I can guarantee that. But they learned (on the whole) to wear condoms when AIDS arrived and after everyone realised you couldn't catch it through touching someone who had contracted it. That's just human nature.

I remember when the food scares started. Back in the 80s I think. One of the earliest statements by scientists was that margarine was better for you than butter. So people started turning to margarine instead of butter. A few years later scientists changed their minds as it turned out both had 'bad fat' in them. Thus the 'low fat spreads' came along. There have been other changes in the scientific mind along the way.

Earlier this week I learned of a scientific study involving babies who suffered with eczema and egg allergies (one of my nephews suffers in this way). I can't remember the specifics of the study, but overall they want to test the hypothesis that stopping children from eating certain things until a certain age avoids allergies. At present the advice is not to allow children to have certain foods, eg nuts, before a certain age because of potential allergy problems. However, a potential change of the scientific mind is afoot. It is now being considered that the avoidance of foods at an early age may in actuality be contributing towards allergies. Hence, the study.

I keep an open mind about scientific claims. I tend to wait and see.

--------------------

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that there is a false pair of alternatives being offered here: on the one hand that the environmentalists are trying to mold (force?) African countries into a particular mode of development; on the other, that otherwise African people would decide on their own, and make up their own minds about what path development should take, and that development along the lines of Western nations historically is the best way.

First of all, all sides (Western governments, NGOs, oil companies, other multinationals....) have constantly interfered with development in Africa. Which is a major reason why so many countries are in such a mess. Even if the environmentalists were not involved (and as others have noted poor countries are exempt from the protocols) there is still huge pressure from many other sources. So advice/pressure to develop more sustainably is just one factor amongst many.

Secondly development along Western lines has not exactly been a resounding success so far has it? The Millenium Development Goals seem as far off success as ever! Given that most countries do not have oil/coal/gas reserves, increasing imports of these to develop along Western lines does not seem likely to improve the situation.

In many cases sustainable energy sources (if we just look at energy - obviously development encompasses many more issues) take advantage of the particular resources in those countries e.g. plenty of sunshine for solar power. Obviously the particular solutions differ according to circumstances. A few years ago I was involved in producing a book about rural energy options in India - given a huge area and limited existing infrastructure a local capacity to generate energy was generally by far the most appropriate - in some cases solar, other place micro-hydro, or geothermal - the key point being that people needed to choose there own best options rather than having something foisted on them from on high (something development projects have often sadly been guilty of).

Of course it's vital that people in developing countries make their own decisions about the future. Many of the most successful developments have actually been about recapturing local knowledge which had been lost or forgotten in the rush to western style development and attempts to match lifestyles. Interestingly these are often the most environmentally and socially sustainable too.

However, I think the issue of development vs climate change is rather a red herring; poor countries would benefit from sustainable development irrespective of climate change or not because it's environmentally, socially and economically better for them. I think we should help them as much as possible e.g. technology transfer to help them become self-sufficient in solar panel production (if that's what they want).
But fundamentally climate change is up to the rich Western nations to solve and do something about, which probably includes reducing our 'standard of living' - which I put in quotes because I think we can improve our quality of life at the same time.

Phew! A long post for this time of night, somehow got carreid away.... hope it makes some sort of sense, I should be asleep!

Jonah

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

quote:
The point the programme was making was that the "until" bit in your second statement could stop Africans from enjoying the content of your first statement: things we have been enjoying for a long time. In other words, what right have we to determine just how far they could develop before they became 'naughty boys and girls' given our track record?
Let's say for a moment that we 'generously allow' them to pollute the atmosphere relatively freely for the time being, while they develop move some level of development nearer ours. That will take some years by which time we'll have even more evidence to show whether GW is truly disastrous or not and the extent of humanity's contribution. Maybe this evidence will affect some opinions (or not) In the mean time we fly less, close the most wasteful or polluting power plants and factories, have more efficient homes and transport and try not to pollute or waste things.

Then (say a decade or two) either we agree that AGW was all a storm in a teacup (silly scientists, scaring us all like that!) but we realise we spent less on energy than before and the oil will last a bit longer or we're all (including, especially Africa) buggered and can't even light a fire to keep warm. The only good thing will be that we won't need to! (well, not so often).

I think I now have more of an insight into the minds of those who know very little about science, seeing your reply above.

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

I think Jonahman summed up your response to my last, Littlelady, very well. You are offering two false alternatives - a) let them do what they want and need to to develop (pollute) or b) impose restrictions and not devlop. I've pointed out numerous times that this isn't true, and Jonahman expanded on this with his experience of India.

India is a very good example, actually. They are now one of the fastest developing economies in the world, and now are one of the fastest rising emitters. They weren't part of the problem until very recently, but now they are. This is why sustainable development needs to be encouraged from the beginning, to prevent more huge problems later down the line.

I know we've been over the science / probability question quite a bit on this thread, but it is crucial to the discussion. I had no intention of insulting you littlelady with the reference to you disagreeing with all world governments - it was a simple statement of fact. Of course, you similarly disagree with all major relevent scientific institutions as well, perhaps this is badge of honour too. But science very very rarely deals in absolute certainty.

You keep using the straw man argument of "scientists said margarine is good for you" etc, which is based on usually bad media reporting of single papers. The situation with global warming is totally different, and represents the work of literally thousands of papers and experts, examined to the nth degree.

I read a press release yesterday from the NOAA about recent research that suggests that increased vertical wind shear, under global warming, will have the effect of decreasing the intensity of hurricanes. This is very good news. But the press release was at pains to point out that this is one factor among many in a very complex field. This is science in action - constantly refining our overall knowledge.

As many people have pointed out, there is no serious downside to the extremely unlikely scenario of the world's scientists being wrong about global warming. The GCCS invented one, based on an irrelevant and quite possibly fictitious example and straw men (to date, there has been no international obligation or even pressure on Africa to develop only low-carbon options).

Let's say Nairobi has the option of two new power stations - one oil, the other solar. Both will produce the same output, but solar will cost double to build. The best option for Kenya would be to receive extra funding for solar, because the running costs of the latter will minute compared to oil - the fuel is free. The green choice is the one that will provide Kenya with much more development per dollar spent. If we in the west are serious about helping Africa's development, this is where aid should be targeted - making use of their own resources.

You haven't commented, Littlelady, on Desmond Tutu's article yesterday, where (among other things) he spells out how much Africa has already suffered at the hands of environmental catastrophe, which is increasing alarmingly under global warming. I still have no insight in to why you are so negative about technology that will improve Africa's development which this African leader at the very least also says is a priority.

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

The differece between quoting someone like Desmond Tutu on the subject and other non-specialists is the degree of knowledge on the subject, has the good man actually explored the arguments? I don't think so because he's way too general and obviously taking his information from the political spin put out by the global warming cranks as is proved by his reference to Katrina, as I've already gone through, the scenario of our CO2 emissions creating hurricanes as scientific fact is proved to be a deception; not even found in the IPCC report but promoted by its spokesman direct to the press and for which reason Chris Landsea resigned.

I'm at a loss to understand why Noiseboy thinks that global warming must be real because it's supported by 'world governments', but this is science we're talking about and I thought science prided itself on its rational search for real truth about the workings of our world, as long as there are dissenting voices offering contraditions to theories there is no scientific consensus. Truth doesn't depend on how many people agree a theory is true, but on the truth of the theory.

For those who missed Durkin's programme and as a reminder for those who didn't, an interview with a climate expert Tim Ball:

quote:
Timothy Ball is no wishy-washy skeptic of global warming. The Canadian climatologist, who has a Ph.D. in climatology from the University of London and taught at the University of Winnipeg for 28 years, says that the widely propagated “fact” that humans are contributing to global warming is the “greatest deception in the history of science.” (The politics of global warming)Bill Steigerwald
TRIBUNE-REVIEW Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Thread Where Everyone Argues If Man-Induced Climate Change Is Real »

"The greatest deception in the history of science"

I agree. And the real reason that the global warmists want the dvd banned.

The interview continues (my bold):

quote:
Q: The mainstream media would have us believe that the science of global warming is now settled by the latest IPCC report. Is it true?

A: No. It’s absolutely false. As soon as people start saying something’s settled, it’s usually that they don’t want to talk about it anymore. They don’t want anybody to dig any deeper. It’s very, very far from settled. In fact, that’s the real problem. We haven’t been able to get all of the facts on the table. The IPCC is a purely political setup.

There was a large group of people, the political people, who wanted the report to be more harum-scarum than it actually is. In fact, the report is quite a considerable step down from the previous reports. For example, they have reduced the potential temperature rise and they’ve reduced the sea level increase and a whole bunch of other things. Part of it is because they know so many people will be watching the report this time.

Q: Why should we be leery of the IPCC’s report -- or the summary of the report?

A: Well, because the report is the end product of a political agenda, and it is the political agenda of both the extreme environmentalists who of course think we are destroying the world. But it’s also the political agenda of a group of people ... who believe that industrialization and development and capitalism and the Western way is a terrible system and they want to bring it down. They couldn’t do it by attacking energy because they know that would get the public’s back up very quickly. ... The vehicle they chose was CO2, because that’s the byproduct of industry and fossil-fuel burning, which of course drives the whole thing. They think, “If we can show that that is destroying the planet, then it allows us to control.” Unfortunately, you’ve got a bunch of scientists who have this political agenda as well, and they have effectively controlled the IPCC process.

Q: You always hear the argument that the IPCC has several thousand scientists -- how can you not accept what they say?

A: The answer, first of all, is that consensus is not a scientific fact. The other thing is, you look at the degree to which they have controlled the whole IPCC process. For example, who are the lead authors? Who are the scientists who sit on the summary panel with the politicians to make sure that they get their view in? … You’ve got this incestuous little group that is controlling the whole process both through their publications and the IPCC. I’m not a conspiracy theorist and I hate being even pushed toward that, but I think there is a consensus conspiracy that’s going on.

Q: What is your strongest or best argument that GW is not “very likely” to be caused by SUVs and Al Gore’s private planes?

A: I guess the best argument is that global warming has occurred, but it began in 1680, if you want to take the latest long-term warming, and the climate changes all the time. It began in 1680, in the middle of what’s called “The Little Ice Age” when there was three feet of ice on the Thames River in London. And the demand for furs of course drove the fur trade. The world has warmed up until recently, and that warming trend doesn’t fit with the CO2 record at all; it fits with the sun-spot data. Of course they are ignoring the sun because they want to focus on CO2.

The other thing that you are seeing going on is that they have switched from talking about global warming to talking about climate change. The reason for that is since 1998 the global temperature has gone down -- only marginally, but it has gone down. In the meantime, of course, CO2 has increased in the atmosphere and human production has increased. So you’ve got what Huxley called the great bane of science -- “a lovely hypothesis destroyed by an ugly fact.” So by switching to climate change, it allows them to point at any weather event -- whether it’s warming, cooling, hotter, dryer, wetter, windier, whatever -- and say it is due to humans. Of course, it’s absolutely rubbish.

quote:
Q: Is the rising CO2 level the cause of global warming or the result of it?

A: That’s a very good question because in the theory the claim is that if CO2 goes up, temperature will go up. The ice core record of the last 420,000 years shows exactly the opposite. It shows that the temperature changes before the CO2. So the fundamental assumption of the theory is wrong. That means the theory is wrong. ... But the theory that human CO2 would lead to runaway global warming became a fact right away, and scientists like myself who dared to question it were immediately accused of being paid by the oil companies or didn’t care about the children or the future or anything else.

"It's absolutely rubbish", so what proof is there that it isn't?

Myrrh

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Science makes some enormous claims. It's making one in this context. If science wants to claim it's virtually certain we're all going to die soon from drowning or heatstroke (depending on where we live) if we don't do this or that then it has to be held accountable to a very high standard for such a life-changing claim. If it can't stand the heat of resistence, it shouldn't make the claim in the first place. I've no sympathy for scientists here. They think they know it then they have to show it.

Of course, scientists aren't claiming "it's virtually certain we're all going to die soon from drowning or heatstroke". The claim of science is that is't virtually certain that the average global temperature is increasing, and a substantial part of that increase is explained by human activity (burning fossil fuels and deforestation). Somewhere below "virtually certain" is the quantitative values - how much the average temperature is increasing and how much of that is due to human activity. These quantitative values have significant uncertainties, but not so significant that in either case "none" is anything other than very unlikely.

Scientists are also saying that there are some effects that increased average global temperatures will produce. Increased average temperatures for one (and hence increased frequency and severity of heat waves, which are known to kill people), though that might be stating the obvious! Increased sea levels are also "virtually certain", the physics of thermal expansion of water as it gets warmer can't be denied. Again, when you try to quantify the values of "how many more heat waves, how hot will they be, how much sea levels will rise" the uncertainties are not insignificant.

Scientists are very capable of defending the claims they're making. I don't expect any scientist to try and defend a claim not supported by the science - eg: that "it's virtually certain we're all going to die soon from drowning or heatstroke". Perhaps you need to get the propogandists to defend those statements. And, yes, I admit there are propogandists on my side of the fence - to be honest, what I've seen of Gore's film looks much more like propoganda than hard science.

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Tim Ball

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016