homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The Thread Where Everyone Argues If Man-Induced Climate Change Is Real (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The Thread Where Everyone Argues If Man-Induced Climate Change Is Real
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tim Ball's "“If we can show that that is destroying the planet, then it allows us to control.” Unfortunately, you’ve got a bunch of scientists who have this political agenda as well, and they have effectively controlled the IPCC process."

This reminds me of another such political/personal agenda driving opinion contrary to scientific fact.

I don't recall when I read this, sometime in the late eighties, early nineties perhaps, but anyway there was an interview in The Times (London) with the doctor who first said that secondary smoking caused cancer in non-smokers. He explained in this interview that there were two kinds of cancers, one always consistent with smokers and the other with non-smokers. He said that he had deliberately created the misattribution of the cancer of the first to the second group because he didn't like smoking.

After all these years of the anti-smoking lobby bludgeoning everyone with false science and changing society by introducing laws against smoking..

quote:
(Passive smoking doesn't cause cancer - official)
By Victoria Macdonald, Health Correspondent

THE world's leading health organisation has withheld from publication a study which shows that not only might there be no link between passive smoking and lung cancer but that it could even have a protective effect.

The astounding results are set to throw wide open the debate on passive smoking health risks. The World Health Organisation, which commissioned the 12-centre, seven-country European study has failed to make the findings public, and has instead produced only a summary of the results in an internal report.

Despite repeated approaches, nobody at the WHO headquarters in Geneva would comment on the findings last week. At its International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France, which coordinated the study, a spokesman would say only that the full report had been submitted to a science journal and no publication date had been set.

The findings are certain to be an embarrassment to the WHO, which has spent years and vast sums on anti-smoking and anti-tobacco campaigns. The study is one of the largest ever to look at the link between passive smoking - or environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) - and lung cancer, and had been eagerly awaited by medical experts and campaigning groups.

Of course, regardless that world governments were coming on board the anti-smoking bandwagon and the claim of the anti-smoking lobby that passive smokers got tobacco related cancer, it is still junk science as is the global warming theory that man-made CO2 is driving us to all to destruction.

I'm still waiting for scientific proof that it isn't.

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

- Posted      Profile for Noiseboy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
to be honest, what I've seen of Gore's film looks much more like propoganda than hard science.

Gore is certainly no climate scientist - but of course they would probably make boring films. What matters surely is - is the science accurate? In the case of An Inconvenient Truth, the general opinion of climate scientists (see here for article and discussion) is that it is pretty good. There are some errors, but these are pretty minor. There are plenty of details that are skated over, such as the relationship between CO2 and temperature, but the broad thrust is correct (again, see here for article and discussion).

Given that the film has to be entertaining and appeal to old and young across the board, I thought it was a very good balance. Certainly, next to the GCCS where pretty much every utterance has been debunked, it is a masterpiece.

Posts: 512 | From: Tonbridge | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noiseboy:
Gore is certainly no climate scientist - but of course they would probably make boring films. What matters surely is - is the science accurate? In the case of An Inconvenient Truth, the general opinion of climate scientists (see here for article and discussion) is that it is pretty good. There are some errors, but these are pretty minor. There are plenty of details that are skated over, such as the relationship between CO2 and temperature, but the broad thrust is correct (again, see here for article and discussion).

Given that the film has to be entertaining and appeal to old and young across the board, I thought it was a very good balance. Certainly, next to the GCCS where pretty much every utterance has been debunked, it is a masterpiece.

(my emphasis)

Oh Noiseboy. You are so obvious! [Big Grin] The errors in the Great Global Warming Swindle were positively heinous according to you and Ofcom must immediately be informed, but Gore's are 'pretty minor'. That the Swindle skated over some issues is positively deceitful in your eyes, but that Gore did it? Well, bless. It doesn't matter really. And because Gore's movie has to be entertaining then any discrepancies just don't matter. However, that the Swindle set out to stir and be controversial was nothing short of propoganda. Good job I have a strong enough mind to keep it open no matter what the political agendas of some!

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

- Posted      Profile for Noiseboy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Littlelady - you really do only hear what you want to hear, don't you? That was low, even by your standards. My words were chosen carefully, in the mistaken belief that people had the intelligence to understand them. Let me, then, rephrase - according to climate scientists, all of the main contentions in Gore's film are correct, whereas none are in GCCS.

Is that obvious enough for you?

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just add my tuppenceworth that the reason that guy felt in TGGWS that he was being treated as though his ideas were on an intellectual footing with creationists and holocaust deniers is that they, well, are.

(BTW - I'm not placing AiG on the same moral footing as holocaust deniers, just the same intellectual footing).

[ 06. May 2007, 12:10: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

OK Myrrh, I'll give you one more reply, as I think I've just clicked. All the references to "Junk Science", a term coined by the smoking lobby, should have tipped me off earlier.

According to Wikipedia, even the tobacco industry doesn't claim anything like what you have. All studies not funded by the tobacco industry say the same thing - that it kills.

I can only speculate at your motives, but - just to reitorate - I am only interested in discussion based on science, not big business in the oil or tobacco lobbies. Your constant use of these sources (such as Tim Ball) speaks for itself.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why anyone thinks that scientists part-funded by governments are more likely to be unprofessionally biased than "scientists" funded wholly or mainly be oil companies and other polluters still beats me, frankly.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
It always seems odd to me that people demand the science be proved 100%.

It doesn't seem odd to me. Science makes some enormous claims. It's making one in this context. If science wants to claim it's virtually certain we're all going to die soon from drowning or heatstroke (depending on where we live) if we don't do this or that then it has to be held accountable to a very high standard for such a life-changing claim. If it can't stand the heat of resistence, it shouldn't make the claim in the first place. I've no sympathy for scientists here.

But do you apply the same attitude to other areas of your life?

If, after a thorough inspection of your car, the mechanic said there was a 95% chance of sudden brakes failure would you risk it because "he wasn't 100% sure"? Would you insist that friends and their families travelled with you? If not, what is the difference?

Science can NEVER be certain - a new theory can always overturn the previous one. But that doesn't stop us making decisions based on it - i.e. based on the best information available at the time. There needs to be a balance between cost of action, consequences of inaction, and certainty level.

You also react with anger in defense of Durkin's claim that environmentalists are holding back Africa's development. But he didn't show any evidence of this, and neither have you. So why the strength of conviction?

Yet when virtually every major scientific institution on the planet expressed serious concern about CO2, your standards for acceptable evidence shift.

It seems that you have very different standards according to who is making the claim. That's perfectly natural - I certainly do the same. But it seems very marked in this instance, and I suspect you might not have approached the subject with quite the open mind you (genuinely) believe you have.

I'm also struggling reconcile the demand for 100% certainty with your comment on page 6:
quote:
Now, this is the kind of talk that has often been lacking in this whole debate (everywhere, not just on here). According to my bro (himself a scientist of the published, peer reviewed, Phd variety) science is very often about probabilities. If only people spoke in probabilities on this particular subject then personally I could listen to them. Alas, it just doesn't seem to happen. There seems to be so much dogma about.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JonahMan, I thought your post was very good! [Biased]

Personally, I don't think I have at any time promoted Western style development for Africa. My point has consistently been that African nations should be allowed to make their own decisions without Western interference. I would therefore totally agree with this statement in your post:

quote:
Of course it's vital that people in developing countries make their own decisions about the future.
So long as that is what is happening then I would be happy to step off my soapbox.

quote:
Of course, scientists aren't claiming "it's virtually certain we're all going to die soon from drowning or heatstroke".

Yes, well, I confess to using a smidgen of hyperbole there Alan. [Razz]

I want to reiterate at this point that at no time have I denied the reality of climate change. A person doesn't need to be a scientist to notice certain local changes, regardless of the global situation. The issue for me has always been humankind's part in climate change and the various issues surrounding that debate as well as the consequences emanating from it. I suppose I have a broader interest than 'only' the science. While there is an ongoing process of re-examination occurring within science, on the outside the impression this process gives is that science is unreliable. That is, what is stated today does not necessarily hold for tomorrow. I accept the principle of scientific enquiry, but because in practice it often results in change of position or advice, the only option I feel I have is to adopt a 'wait and see' policy. Many non-scientists think as I do, not because they are anti-science or anti-scientists, but simply because they have become slightly skeptical.

quote:
Perhaps you need to get the propogandists to defend those statements.
Absolutely. But some scientists are also propogandists, Alan. They are the people who are the hardest for non-scientists to challenge. We don't have the knowledge or language to do so on equal terms and that exclusivity makes it difficult to counter what they say.

quote:
what I've seen of Gore's film looks much more like propoganda than hard science.
I haven't seen the film. No way was I going to pay to listen to the same old stuff I hear on the BBC on a regular basis! (I should demand a refund on my TV licence)

Myrhh: When the Telegraph article you linked to was published, ASH (the anti-smoking lobby group) began a protest against the paper's 'irresponsible reporting' and it was ultimately forced to apologise: much the same kind of scenario Noiseboy would like to see with regard to the Swindle. As is so often the case in this country, we are all treated like children. That retraction spelled a sad day IMO because I firmly believe in the principle of allowing the opposite opinion to be aired so as to provide people with the opportunity to make up their own minds. Not only this but I think that by allowing free debate the temptation for scapegoating and social pressure is lessened. Of course, scapegoating and social pressure is precisely what lobbyists want to encourage.

I found out for myself last week how successful that approach has been here in the UK as I was assaulted for smoking a cigarette in the open air (totally minding my own business). It's open season on smokers these days. There's no countering the lynch mob mentality once it really gets a hold. I also got told off by a colleague last week for not considering my stupid carbon bloody footprint when organising my flights to Tanzania. My safety and health, it seems, was irrelevant. I should have caught the bus (a six hour journey at least) instead of booking a connecting flight from Nairobi. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
That was low, even by your standards.

Charmed, I'm sure. So it's ok for you to imply I should approve of slavery and canabalism just because I passionately believe in the freedom of Africans to choose their future for themselves, but it's not ok for me to point out your obvious bias when it comes to the entertainment version of the global warming debate? Purleese.

In response to your question about Tutu, I actually find him quite patronising so I don't tend to listen to him much. Perhaps, in the article you linked to, it was the phrase 'my friends' which switched me off.

--------------------

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Indeed, one can never be 100% certain of anything. At all.

To dismiss everything on that basis would seem a rather silly thing to do.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
some scientists are also propogandists

Generally speaking, the ones who work for polluting industries and who claim that we aren't harming the enviroment in the face of the dissent of almost all their peers.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Why anyone thinks that scientists part-funded by governments are more likely to be unprofessionally biased than "scientists" funded wholly or mainly be oil companies and other polluters still beats me, frankly.

With governemnt funding, scientists participate in the proces of peer review so there are solid checks and balances. It is also worth pointing out that different governments would have different biases, so one would expect to see this reflected in "government funded" research were this an issue. It is not. In the case of climate change, as I have relentlessly pointed out (and no-one has refuted) all the world's governments have backed it, from hardline communist North Korea to the US of A. Many have - and do - have motives to surpress the conclusions, and yet they happen anyway. Perhaps this is the best illustration - the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

With industry funding, there is a clear motive to make data fit a pre-determined outcome - otherwise, why fund it at all?

It may be imperfect, but I'll go with non-industry every time. Since this is something that keeps coming up, however, I'd be interested to hear Alan's thoughts on it.

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:
Charmed, I'm sure. So it's ok for you to imply I should approve of slavery and canabalism just because I passionately believe in the freedom of Africans to choose their future for themselves, but it's not ok for me to point out your obvious bias when it comes to the entertainment version of the global warming debate? Purleese.

Oh for God's sake...

[ 06. May 2007, 12:49: Message edited by: Noiseboy ]

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
But do you apply the same attitude to other areas of your life?

Yes.

quote:
If, after a thorough inspection of your car, the mechanic said there was a 95% chance of sudden brakes failure would you risk it because "he wasn't 100% sure"?
I would suggest you read my post again, Hiro. Nowhere have I demanded or even requested 100% certainty. I have simply stated that if science makes big claims then it has to expect big accountability. How is that saying I am demanding 100% certainty? [Paranoid]

quote:
You also react with anger in defense of Durkin's claim that environmentalists are holding back Africa's development. But he didn't show any evidence of this, and neither have you. So why the strength of conviction?
I've already responded to you in this regard on the previous page.

quote:
It seems that you have very different standards according to who is making the claim.
I don't see that at all. I argue with anyone, depending on what they say. I'm an equal opportunities arguer. I do, however, acknowledge that Alan*, a scientist, has greater legitimacy to speak on issues of science than has Noiseboy*, who isn't a scientist, and I think my posts reflect that.

*or any other scientist/non-scientist.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
It is also worth pointing out that different governments would have different biases, so one would expect to see this reflected in "government funded" research were this an issue. It is not.

If you dig into the depths of this thread, you'll find an example I cited which refutes your statement here. It is the only scientific report I have studied in depth. It was compiled by a scientist well known for his anti-smoking stance ( Jamrozik) and it was comissioned by SmokeFree London, which is a lobby group comprising a number of London Boroughs. Strangely enough, the conclusions of the report (cited widely in the press not long before the ban in England was passed) agreed with the views of SmokeFree London. It is naive (and possibly even irresponsible) to believe that because something is commissioned by the government (either on a local or national level) it is somehow beyond reproach. In fact, I would suggest, it needs even greater examination because it is the people's money providing the support.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While there is an ongoing process of re-examination occurring within science, on the outside the impression this process gives is that science is unreliable. That is, what is stated today does not necessarily hold for tomorrow. I accept the principle of scientific enquiry, but because in practice it often results in change of position or advice, the only option I feel I have is to adopt a 'wait and see' policy. Many non-scientists think as I do, not because they are anti-science or anti-scientists, but simply because they have become slightly skeptical.

This is a good point, and I suspect reflects the view of many people. We've got "fear fatigue". Avian flu, AIDS, Y2K, acid rain, ozone layer, meteor strikes. Then there's all the stories from medical science - nutrition, allergies, ideal weight, carcenogenic toast, cot deaths, MMI, etc etc. It's no wonder people get skeptical.

Unfortunately, the media thrives on fear. It's not their fault - fear sells newspapers. But the effect is to take a scientific report and turn it into the scare-de-jour. Some of the stories represent very unlikely events, but with dramatic effects ("Meteor might hit. One day. Eventually"). Others can be about things that just might be true - medical stories seem susceptable to this, since the statistics tend to change.

The trouble is, now we're all used to fear, and have become very cynical about governments (especially after Iraq), the really big story comes out. Global warming is in a different league to everything else, because:
- Huge amounts of scientific research supports it (i.e. it's not a single paper)
- It represents a very likely event.
- The potential consequences are dire.

It's doubly hard to accept because the implications will affect our lifestyles, and runs against very powerful commercial interests.

We're got used to being scared, and so now we struggle to believe the big story. Classic boy crying wolf! But just because the media thrives on fear, it doesn't mean it's untrue.

quote:
I found out for myself last week how successful that approach has been here in the UK as I was assaulted for smoking a cigarette in the open air (totally minding my own business). It's open season on smokers these days.
Assuming "assulted" is metaphorical (hopefully), that's still crappy IMO. I'm quite happy with the forthcoming pub smoking ban (sorry!), but outside too? That's much too far.
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I agree with both sides? [Paranoid]

About 15 years ago our national science agency (CSIRO) had a conference in Tasmania to discuss the impact of human created emissions on the global weather patterns, where they presented their latest computer modelling of future climatic conditions.
Some bright spark in the audience got up and asked: "What about clouds?"

Silence

Followed by red faces - somehow, they had omitted to factor in clouds.

My point is that there are too many factors to conclusively predict what effect our actions will have, but...

When I was at Primary School, we went on an excursion to see the coal-fired power stations. Back then (over thirty years ago) I found it disturbing - the acrid black smoke pouring into the atmosphere.

I think it is fair to assume that our actions will have an effect (and it wont be good) and I still find it bizarre that we waste such a wonderful (and limited) product such as petroleum, by burning it to propel us around (I usually ride a bike - and I also smoke).

Livng in a city of over 2 million people where our water storages have fallen below 30% of capacity - I think it may well be too late, but I dont think any of the measures being proposed will do any real harm.

But they may represent the beginning of an understanding of just how fragile the necessary conditions for our life here is.

After all ...Earth

It's the only one we've got.

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
I would suggest you read my post again, Hiro. Nowhere have I demanded or even requested 100% certainty. I have simply stated that if science makes big claims then it has to expect big accountability. How is that saying I am demanding 100% certainty? [Paranoid]

quote:
quote:
It always seems odd to me that people demand the science be proved 100%.

It doesn't seem odd to me.

I took this to imply agreement. Was I mistaken? And what do you mean by "accountability" in this context?

quote:
I argue with anyone, depending on what they say. I'm an equal opportunities arguer. I do, however, acknowledge that Alan*, a scientist, has greater legitimacy to speak on issues of science than has Noiseboy*, who isn't a scientist, and I think my posts reflect that.

What I meant was that you were far less critical of sources whose conclusions you agreed with, and applied a different standard of proof. Hence my comment that you wholeheartedly accepted Durkin's claims about environmentalists holding back Africa.

I certainly didn't mean to imply you let personal likes or dislikes of individuals sway you, or that you bowed to authority! Sorry that I phrased this badly. [Hot and Hormonal]

(Edited to fix mangled quote code.)

[ 06. May 2007, 13:56: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
I took this to imply agreement. Was I mistaken?

Yes. I said that I could understand why people made such demands while you could not (that is what you said anyway), ie that science makes great claims, etc, etc. Personally, I'm happy when scientists just acknowledge that they aren't sure. Like I said earlier in the thread, I can deal in probabilities.

quote:
and what do you mean by "accountability" in this context?
That their word is not simply taken. Scientists should be questioned, not simply deferred to. But I'm not very good at deference, so maybe I'm biased. [Biased]

quote:
What I meant was that you were far less critical of sources whose conclusions you agreed with, and applied a different standard of proof.
Not so. If I am less critical it is because I have already wrestled with it and come to agreement. I don't think that's unusual though, do you? If I agree with someone then all I can really do is nod my head or say "I agree with you". No point in arguing with something I agree with!

quote:
Hence my comment that you wholeheartedly accepted Durkin's claims about environmentalists holding back Africa.
His point was powerfully made at a time when I hadn't even considered it. He put a thought into my head, which is a good thing. My sensitivity over this subject is because of past western interference in Africa: I don't want it to happen again over this issue. I want us to leave Africa alone to decide its own issues for itself.

While thinking more about my upcoming trip to Tanzania, I visited this website. If you were to take a look at the section on Mt Kilimanjaro, you'll see reference there to global warming. I'm hoping, during my brief stay, that I'll get the chance to hear the views of Africans on such subjects, but what my chances are of having such conversations I don't know! My Lonely Planet guide advises me that Tanzanians don't mind discussing politics, but ... [Smile]

quote:
Unfortunately, the media thrives on fear. It's not their fault - fear sells newspapers.
Oh yes, I agree with this (though I disagree that it isn't their fault!). What worries me more than what the media says is the ease with which so many people believe it. I hear on a daily basis people spouting statistics about all sorts of things without even questioning what such statistics actually mean, and I confess that my breath is frequently taken.

quote:
Assuming "assulted" is metaphorical (hopefully), that's still crappy IMO.
No, it wasn't metaphorical. He punched my arm hard, leaving a bruise. He objected to a colleague and I smoking in his general vicinity. When I reported him to the owners of the building his poxy shop is a part of, they advised me that I could bring a charge of assault against him and as I had a witness, the chances are the police would listen. I thought about it overnight and decided against bringing a charge. Hopefully the warning the owners gave him will be sufficient.

Verbal abuse because of smoking is now a fairly regular experience, even though I have always been a polite smoker (I'm changing now: non-smokers can screw themselves for two months). I have my government to thank for that: they have encouraged the lynch mob mentality. However, the incident above is the first time I have experienced physical abuse.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Maybe I can agree to some extent with Littlelady about one thing - I'm not a smoker*, but I don't mind smokers in bars and clubs as long as they don't actually blow smoke in my face, which is something I consider unacceptably rude and deserving of negative attention.

I'm not sure where I stand on the smoking ban. I am torn between thinking it is a bit fascist and bad for small businesses (and there are pubs and a club in my town I support because they are nice places) and thinking it isn't very nice for staff to be constantly bombarded with smoke (Customers can leave if they don't like it).

I still think that arguing that we aren;t hurting our world by our activities is intellectually dishonest in the extreme. Like saying Littlelady isn't hurting herself by smoking, or I'm not by drinking most days. Not only crap, but obvious crap IMO. I see Littlelady is ignoring me, though, so maybe this is a waste of a post...

Littlelady - Re: Africa - If they want to do what we did, and if what we did has had very serious negative consequences for our world, then surely to goodness they should be told that we got it wrong - esp as it *doesn't* just affect them. You'd tell your friend if she was about to do something that you had done and then regretted very much, wouldn't you?

[ 06. May 2007, 16:28: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:
I do, however, acknowledge that Alan*, a scientist, has greater legitimacy to speak on issues of science than has Noiseboy*, who isn't a scientist, and I think my posts reflect that.

Presumably by the same logic we shouldn't listen too much to anything you say either?

I have often said that no-one should listen to my interpretations on climate science because I am not a climate scientist. In the same way, people shouldn't listen to Nigel Lawson, Monckton et al who are part of the anti-change brigade because they don't have a clue either. My philosophy has always always ALWAYS to defer to those whose knowledge is greatest - the specialists in the field. And has been repeated as nauseum, they speak with virual unanimity. On this thread, Alan is a good example.

Littlelady - I'm not sure where any of this logic falls down, but clearly it does for you somewhere.

quote:
If you dig into the depths of this thread, you'll find an example I cited which refutes your statement here. It is the only scientific report I have studied in depth. It was compiled by a scientist well known for his anti-smoking stance ( Jamrozik) and it was comissioned by SmokeFree London, which is a lobby group comprising a number of London Boroughs. Strangely enough, the conclusions of the report (cited widely in the press not long before the ban in England was passed) agreed with the views of SmokeFree London. It is naive (and possibly even irresponsible) to believe that because something is commissioned by the government (either on a local or national level) it is somehow beyond reproach. In fact, I would suggest, it needs even greater examination because it is the people's money providing the support.

But what has this example (interesting though it is) to do with government funded institutions? This report was comissioned by a lobby group, so you would be right to be suspicious. The thousands of peer-reviewed papers on climate change that all have the same conclusions are not comissioned by lobby groups, they are the product of institutions of science who in turn receive government money. There is no commissioning going on by lobby groups, and if there is elsewhere then it is not to be regarded with the same seriousness as the genuine neutral academic stuff. Of course, it falls down completely on another level too, in as much as there are contradictory motives on the part of governments - this US administration has been downplaying and surpressing climate change information since day 1, and yet every one of its relevent institutions have endorsed the climate change consensus. (side note - I am apalled that you were assaulted. Hopefully as you say the threat is enough to stop any future behaviour, but if you get any sense that it isn't then sue the bastard).

Socratic Enigma - modelling has come a long way in 15 years! Cloud cover is certainly factored in now, but it is still not as detailed as it needs to be - the numbers involved are still astronomical. No doubt in time the scientific community will get there with ever-increasing computing power.

It is worth pointing out, however, that since clouds have been factored in, it has not changed the basic thrust of the modelling. And as the BBC pointed out last week, empirical data has thus far shown that the effects of climate change in the arctic have thus far exceeded every single computer model simulation. So going on what we know already, there is little reason to be optimistic that things will be better than we currently think.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
quote:
I do, however, acknowledge that Alan*, a scientist, has greater legitimacy to speak on issues of science than has Noiseboy*, who isn't a scientist, and I think my posts reflect that.

Presumably by the same logic we shouldn't listen too much to anything you say either?
Please read the bit of my post you quoted again, Noiseboy. Where did I say I wasn't listening much to anything you (or Alan) said, exactly? Of course, if you want to ignore what I say then you are perfectly free to do so. I have likewise stated clearly that I am not a scientist; I don't pretend any particular grasp of science at all. As I've shared with you on this thread, I was totally crap at all the science subjects at school. Nothing has changed.

But just because I'm crap at science does not mean I have to submit without question to those who are good at it. To begin with, Alan, for example, is not a microbiologist. My brother is. While I would listen to both on general science issues, if I wanted to know about microbiology I would go to my brother and not Alan. However, I would question my brother even though he's head of a lab doing weird things with poo. Why should his expertise silence me? I wouldn't expect him not to challenge me on English Language & Literature simply because I have a degree and some experience in the subject. Some people wrestle with subjects, some don't. Thank God - we're all different.

quote:
But what has this example (interesting though it is) to do with government funded institutions? This report was comissioned by a lobby group, so you would be right to be suspicious.
A lobby group funded by local government (which is subsidised by central government).

quote:
There is no commissioning going on by lobby groups, and if there is elsewhere then it is not to be regarded with the same seriousness as the genuine neutral academic stuff.
Maybe you didn't hit the link, but Jamrozik was (possibly still is) employed by Imperial College in London and has various publications behind him from his time in Australia. So I would say his report would be academic stuff, though clearly not neutral.

But anyway, that was a tangent. Sorry.

quote:
(side note - I am apalled that you were assaulted. Hopefully as you say the threat is enough to stop any future behaviour, but if you get any sense that it isn't then sue the bastard).
Thank you. I hope he doesn't do it again either. He was very aggressive.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
I see Littlelady is ignoring me, though, so maybe this is a waste of a post...

I have no idea where you get this impression from, Papio. I really don't.

quote:
You'd tell your friend if she was about to do something that you had done and then regretted very much, wouldn't you?
I would indeed. However, having told them, I wouldn't then pressurise them into learning a lesson from me. If they chose to go their own way, even if it hurt me, I wouldn't do anything to stop them. That is the risk I take sharing a world with other people. It's a risk we all share.

PS: Whatever you feel about passive smoking, I sincerely hope you wouldn't sanction thumping someone because they lit up in the open air about 3m from your front door.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With governemnt funding, scientists participate in the proces of peer review so there are solid checks and balances.

With industry funding, there is a clear motive to make data fit a pre-determined outcome - otherwise, why fund it at all?

It may be imperfect, but I'll go with non-industry every time. Since this is something that keeps coming up, however, I'd be interested to hear Alan's thoughts on it.

There are generally three sources of funding for scientific research - governments (either directly from individual government departments and agencies, or through some form of research council), industry (which might be a companies own labs, or funding of research conducted elsewhere) and philanthropy (eg: charities). In many cases, scientists may get funding from all three sources, maybe even as a collaboration on a single project (I recently was an RA on a project which had funding from several sources including the European Commission, UK Dept of Environment, the Environment Agency, the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency, the Scottish Executive, and British Nuclear Fuels).

Some government funded research results in nothing more than a (non-peer reviewed) report that collects dust on a book shelf in some office. Some industry funded research produces several high-quality peer-reviewed papers. Some government funded research delivers what the government wants to hear in support of proposed policy. Some industry funded research causes embarrassment to the funding companies, and expense in cleaning up their act.

More important than the source of the funding for research is the integrity of the scientists (which might include only taking money which doesn't come with string attached preventing publication of unfavourable findings) and their record in getting research published in the open literature.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
PS: Whatever you feel about passive smoking, I sincerely hope you wouldn't sanction thumping someone because they lit up in the open air about 3m from your front door.

I wouldn't.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Alan - unless I've been labouring under a misaprehension for all these years (and it is entirely possible that I might), I was under that the impression that most institutions such as universities and organisations such as NASA conduct research under their own criteria, receiving only funding as whole. In other words, funding is not sought for each individual paper, but as an institution which typically would undertake a huge variety of research subjects. Is this not correct?

It seems an important distinction in the context of this debate. If funding had to be sought for each and every individual paper, it is much easier to believe that bias can and would creep in depending on whom is funding it and why.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only really speak for how research is funded in UK universities. The university has a number of paid staff who are funded from the university directly through the Universities Funding Council - full time academics (who earn their pay by teaching), admin staff and technicians. The additional money needed to actually do research is sought for each project. In these days of "Full Economic Costs" those costs include the wages of University funded staff, the wages of research staff directly employed on the project, overheads (to cover maintenance costs of the building etc), any equipment, travel expenses etc.

Research projects basically come from two routes. One is that the research staff in a university department will think up something they want to do, write up a proposal to a funding agency (almost always a research council) and wait 6 months for the funding body to have the proposal reviewed by other experts in the field to see if a) it's worth funding and b) whether the amount asked for is appropriate. If you're lucky and put in a good proposal the funding agency will give you money to do the work. The other route of funding is that a funding agency (in this case more usually a government department, industrial or charitable body) decides that something needs to be investigated, they'll produce a description of what they want done and open it up for tender. Then research groups will bid to do the work, with the decision on who gets funded based (ideally) on who can do it best within the budget allocated.

Whether or not any peer reviewed papers come from a project, and if so how many, is more strongly related to the nature of the research than the funding source. Though, generally, research councils want a brief summary at the end of the project with peer-reviewed papers at least in preparation (and whether you did what you were paid for is judged on that, with failure to at least make a good effort resulting in black marks that will make getting more funding difficult) and tendered research wanting a full report at the end of the project (with, often interim reports during the project) with peer-reviewed papers being secondary.

Where peer-reviewed papers become really significant is in research assessment excercises by which the University Funding Councils assess where to spend money on staff salaries.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
OK Myrrh, I'll give you one more reply,

Noiseboy, you began this thread specifically to argue whether global warming is real or not. Retreat to your pet thread of believers if you're not up to continuing.

quote:
as I think I've just clicked. All the references to "Junk Science", a term coined by the smoking lobby, should have tipped me off earlier.
Since I haven't followed any of the arguments from the smoking lobby I didn't know this.

Still my opinion, and I've shown enough for you to take this description seriously.

quote:
According to Wikipedia, even the tobacco industry doesn't claim anything like what you have. All studies not funded by the tobacco industry say the same thing - that it kills.
I posted an article on the results of a much awaited and recent UN study on passive smoking.

quote:
I can only speculate at your motives,
You'll have difficulty here as you've misread my post.

quote:
but - just to reitorate - I am only interested in discussion based on science,
Yet you've rejected all arguments based on science.

It seems to me you're far more interested in defending global warming as a cause than in looking at the actual science as your complete disregard for those scientists who are questioning or completely disagree with the theory shows - your stand that there is consensus is not true, therefore your claim that there is is false ...

This is science not democracy.

Peer review for your theory is not proved. As you haven't proved it isn't junk science then peer review is by junk scientists...

quote:
.. not big business in the oil or tobacco lobbies.
...and your one argument that 'world goverments' support your view is as political as those you reject.

quote:
Your constant use of these sources (such as Tim Ball) speaks for itself.
Tim Ball is a climate expert.

He has a PhD on climatology from London University and has taught the subject for nearly 30 years.

Your reliance on RealClimate as a blanket authority on this rather than dealing with the objections yourself istm shows you're not actually interested in looking at the science for yourself. The Mann hockey stick is dicredited completely since he finally made his method available - it's skewed to produce a hockey stick regardless of the numbers punched in. It's a joke.

I joined this discussion with an open mind and with a slight bias to believing the global warming theory because I'd no reason to question it, I didn't know there was such a huge argument about it. Call me ignorant..

..but then, not now.

I've looked at enough data from both sides of the argument to form my own opinion that the global warming theory is junk science, and my own choice in describing this as junk.

I've made an effort to follow through on references to such as RealClimate and found their replies lacking in simple logic. In other words I've actually given it some thought - can you say the same for the arguments of the objectors? Have you thought about any of the points Tim Ball made?

You seem to have a problem with my posts on CO2, I'll come back to this and take you through a RealClimate rebuttal which might help in making myself clear, but the argument is simply this. The whole of the global warming bandwagon is running on the line that claims man-made CO2 emissions have caused the recent global warming.

Back tracking and excuses and er there are other things to take into consideration are not good enough to deflect the solid arguments given against ALL the so called evidence which has been generated in the last few decades to 'prove' this view. Deal with it.

Myrrh

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Research projects basically come from two routes. One is that the research staff in a university department will think up something they want to do, write up a proposal to a funding agency (almost always a research council) and wait 6 months for the funding body to have the proposal reviewed by other experts in the field to see if a) it's worth funding and b) whether the amount asked for is appropriate. If you're lucky and put in a good proposal the funding agency will give you money to do the work.

This is the route my brother follows. His salary, etc, is paid by the university but every three years his boss has to apply to DEFRA for funding to support the project itself. So far he's managed nine years on the project. Also, his papers have all been peer-reviewed: it is a necessary process in order to help secure future funding.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:
Back tracking and excuses and er there are other things to take into consideration are not good enough to deflect the solid arguments given against ALL the so called evidence which has been generated in the last few decades to 'prove' this view. Deal with it.

You know, I rather think that Dr. Alan Cresswell might be onto something, since he is a trained and qualified scientist, and he has repeatedly informed you that your arguements are not real science and that many of your sources are not well regarded by the scientific community.

I'll go with that view, personally.

Dr. Cresswell is very rarely wrong about such matters, IME.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

You know, I rather think that Dr. Alan Cresswell might be onto something, since he is a trained and qualified scientist, and he has repeatedly informed you that your arguements are not real science and that many of your sources are not well regarded by the scientific community.

I'll go with that view, personally.

Dr. Cresswell is very rarely wrong about such matters, IME.

So, this is the thread for the argument - Dr Alan has yet to provide any evidence that man-induced climate change is real.

I have asked.

Myrrh

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Al Gore is right then the successors to the human race are currently evolving around the undersea vents at 400 degrees celcius.

Let's go quietly.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Cheers, Alan, that has enlightened me no end, and put me right on a few matters.

So (if you can indulge me one further follow up question) have you encountered any evidence that government policy a) dictates which projects are funded and b) can influence their outcomes?

Myrrh - Alan has repeatedly answered your question, you have just chosen not to listen. As, I'm afraid, I am now doing with your posts. As I think Alan himself has said, it takes so much time to wade through all the spurious links to one-man-and-his-dog websites that life is simply too short. This passive smoking report - Littlady has already pointed out that the paper concerned printed a retraction on an innacurate story. This happens again and again and again, so I'm trying to devote my time to discussion which is more fruitful. Others may have more patience than I - this is my failing, for which I apologise. But when even the even-handed Alan loses his rag, at least I know I have company.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
This passive smoking report - Littlady has already pointed out that the paper concerned printed a retraction on an innacurate story.

Well, not quite. They were forced - ie placed under enormous pressure due to complaints - to print an apology for 'irresponsible reporting'. That's a little different to what you suggest, although the outcome is the same.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Noiseboy, please read the whole article to discuss further, some pertinent extracts, my bold, below:

HOCKEY STICK - RIP

The first solid argument against man-induced CO2 being the driving force of recent warming has to begin with the arguments for this relying on the junk temperature model produced by Mann&Co.

The last twitches of this dying temperature chart and its defenders are still around, but commonsense and scientific logic has thankfully prevailed.

quote:
Hockey Stick, 1998-2005, R.I.P.

The “hockey stick” representation of the temperature behavior of the past 1,000 years is broken, dead. Although already reeling from earlier analyses aimed at its midsection, the knockout punch was just delivered by Nature magazine. Thus the end of this palooka: that the climate of the past millennium was marked by about 900 years of nothing and then 100 years of dramatic temperature rise caused by people. The saga of the “hockey stick” will be remembered as a remarkable lesson in how fanaticism can temporarily blind a large part of the scientific community and allow unproven results to become “mainstream” thought overnight.

The “Hockey Stick” is dead. ......

So compelling was 1,000-yr long “hockey stick” graphic, that it quickly became the poster child for anthropogenic global warming. As such, it was prominently displayed as the first figure of the oft-read Summary for Policymakers of 2001 Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The “hockey stick” graphic gives the appearance that left to its own devices, nature displays very little in the way of temperature variation, but that during the past century, humans have come along and thrown everything out of kilter. It is thus the perfect representation of the greenhouse alarmists’ message—humans have caused the weather to be like never before (and this is bad).

However, the shape of the “hockey stick” looked strangely out of place against the existing knowledge of the climate of the past millennium. Where was the Little Ice Age (LIA)—a well-documented cold period lasting from about the 16th to the 19th century? And where was the Medieval Warm Period (MWP)—a relatively warmer period extending from about 11th to the 13th century? By containing little indication that these climate episodes existed, the “hockey stick” presents a completely new picture of the climate of the past 1,000 years. Natural variability is reduced to little more than annual-to-decadal scale fluctuations superimposed on longer-scale constancy. This is not the same story that is told in countless weather and climate textbooks used in classrooms around the world.

The third dissenting voice was that of Jan Esper and colleagues in 2004. Esper is an expert in climate reconstructions based upon tree-ring records (the primary type of proxy data relied upon by Mann et al. in creating the “hockey stick”). It turns out that one must be careful when using tree rings to reconstruct long-term climate variability because as the tree itself ages, the widths of the annual rings that it produces changes—even absent any climatic variations. This growth trend needs to be taken into account when trying to interpret any climate data contained in the tree-ring records. In most cases, the tree-ring records are first detrended to remove this growth trend, and then the remaining variation in the rings is used to derive a climate signal. The problem with this technique is that by detrending the tree-ring record, long-term climate trends are lost as well. Esper et al. point out that this could be one likely reason why the handle of the “hockey stick” is so flat—it lacks the centennial-scale variations that were lost in the standardization of its primary data source. Using an alternative technique that attempted to preserve as much of the information about long-term climate variations as possible from historical tree-ring records, Esper and colleagues derived their own annual Northern Hemisphere temperature reconstruction. The result (Figure 2) is a 1,000-yr temperature history in which the LIA and the MWP are much more pronounced than the “hockey stick” reconstruction—more evidence that the “hockey stick” underestimates the true level of natural climate variation.

The chorus of dissent grew louder with the publication of a paper by Hans von Storch and colleagues in Science in late-2004. Von Storch was interested in how well the temperature reconstruction methodology used in producing the “hockey stick” actually worked. In order to investigate this, he used a climate model, run with historic changes in solar output and volcanic eruptions to produce a temperature record for the past 1,000 years. For von Storch’s purposes, it was not necessary to produce an accurate temperature record, just one that was reasonably representative of what may have happened. Next, he employed a methodology similar to Mann et al.’s, using “proxy” data derived from the climate model temperature record to see how well the Mann et al. methodology could reconstruct the actual data from which it was drawn. What von Storch’s research team found was that the techniques used to construct the “hockey stick” vastly underestimated the true level of variability in the known (modeled) temperature record (Figure 3). It is thus reasonable to conclude that the same techniques, when applied in the real world, would similarly underestimate the true level of natural variability and thus underplay the importance of the LIA and MWP. Again, the von Storch finding adds further evidence that the handle of the “hockey stick” is too flat.

And now, with the publication of a paper in Nature magazine in early 2005 by Anders Moberg and colleagues, it’s all over for the hockey stick. .......

Had the original reconstruction by Mann and colleagues looked like the latest reconstruction by Moberg et al., no one would have paid it much attention, because it would have fit nicely with the expectations given all of the prior research on the climate history of the past millennium. It would have been nothing remarkable.

But, the “hockey stick” was remarkable. And as such, it will be remembered as a remarkable lesson in how fanaticism can temporarily blind a large part of the scientific community and allow unproven results to become mainstream thought overnight. The embarrassment that it caused to many scientists working in the field of climatology will not be soon forgotten. Hopefully, new findings to come, as remarkable and enticing as they may first appear, will be greeted with a bit more caution and thorough investigation before they are widely accepted as representing the scientific consensus.

So, what's so special about the rise in temperature since the Little Ice Age?

If it is nothing out of the ordinary natural variation then where's the problem?

Myrrh

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
So (if you can indulge me one further follow up question) have you encountered any evidence that government policy a) dictates which projects are funded and b) can influence their outcomes?

Certainly when it comes to research directly funded by government departments then the decision about which projects to pursue is very much influenced by government policy. The basic sequence of events is government feels the need to make policy about something, they consult relevant experts and find that there are some questions that remain unanswered that need to be addressed before sensible policy can be drawn up, and as a result a government agency asks relevant research groups if they can do the work. Generally, government policy has a hard time influencing the outcome of research - after all, the nature of any issue isn't influenced by government policy. In this instance, no change in government policy will affect the facts that CO2 is a greenhouse gas emitted in vast quantities from burning fossil fuels.

When it comes to research funding through research councils where scientists submit proposals to do what they want the influence of government policy is less. Though, governments may decide that supporting research in one general subject is likely to be of benefit to the nation and give the relevant parts of the research councils more money for that (often at the expense of other areas) which does influence what research is done.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

I don't particularly want to drag out the passive smoking aside, but I've started looking for what else is available on it and found this comment by Andrew Brown of the Guardian to apply to global warmers against the anties:

quote:

The problem people have with smoking is not just that it's unhealthy, but that it's immoral.

The smoker, if they are violating a moral rule, is threatening everyone who doesn't; and all the fuss about "passive smoking" is merely dramatising this intuition.

Also on that page there's a post from teqjack which begins "I notice the ASH article mentioned above refers to the EPA and WHO reports.

Both have been largely debunked."

And expands on this. Again, reminiscent of global warmers tactics in promoting their moral superiority.

Myrrh

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
I don't particularly want to drag out the passive smoking aside, but I've started looking for what else is available on it and found this comment by Andrew Brown of the Guardian to apply to global warmers against the anties:

quote:

The problem people have with smoking is not just that it's unhealthy, but that it's immoral.

That's a good article. Totally spot on in terms of the underlying reason for the whole anti-smoking issue. I also agree with you on its application to the pro-manmade global warming lobby. There is a growing judgmentalism towards those who don't conform. If we're not checking our 'carbon footprint' every five minutes we're definitely the bad guys.

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

I don't like people smoking next to me indoors because it is horribly unpleasant, and according to non-myrrh studies that even the industry does not deny, it causes harm. Pretty simple really.

Alan, this is all fascinating stuff. I'm trying to imagine a mechanism by which machieavellian government conspiracists skew all the research in the universities, met office etc to invent a notion like anthropogenic climate change. They can influence funding, so off everyone goes to do their research. However (because for the purposes of this fiction ACC does not exist) they discover that there is no such thing. Presumably the logic would go that they then change their findings to invent ACC, thus receive approval from the funding bodies and get more grants, keeping them in a job? OK, it wouldn't get any papers passed peer review, so that doesn't work. Except... wait a minute... all the peers are in on it too!

That seems logical to me. So if this happened in every country in the world - voila, there's your answer. Totally logical - just wildly paranoid and (like most conspiracy theories) reliant on tens or even hundreds of thousands of people to be complicit without blowing the gaffe. Oh, and the belief that all governments (including China, North Korea and the USA) have a vested interest in spreading the lie that ACC is real. Incidentally, on this last point, none of the sceptics on this forum have even speculated why this might be true, which is significant since their whole conspiracy theory relies on a motive. And before she says is... Littlelady, if this is neither a conspiracy and it is not true, then what exactly IS it?! Remember, that bastion of truth Martin Durkin told us "we are being told lies"... sounds like a conspiracy to me.

But, wow, for the first time I can see that it could be possible - merely infitessimally unlikely!

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
I don't like people smoking next to me indoors because it is horribly unpleasant, and according to non-myrrh studies that even the industry does not deny, it causes harm. Pretty simple really.

But Noiseboy, harm to whom? The anti-smoking bandwagon slogan is that Passive Smoking Causes Death to Non-Smokers, not by making their clothes smell, but by causing cancer.

This bandwagon got moving and continues to be sustained to the beat of tin-drummers drumming out fear. But where's the proof? I wasn't lying when I said I'd recalled the interview with the medical scientist who'd initiated this campaign by his deliberate lie, because he too didn't like smelly clothes perhaps. He explained that the cancer of non-smokers was not the same as the cancer of smokers but he conflated the two kinds because he didn't like smoking. This is a scientific lie, a deliberate fraud to promote his own agenda, exactly as the scientifically proved lie that nasty smelly man has driven 'the extraordinary temperature change of the last two centuries' and we're all doomed because of it, even those who use solar panels and cycle to work.

The UN report is still fact even if though the drummers have already begun to drown out the results by having it quietly suppressed while insinuating that it doesn't exist. It showed no statistical significance between non-smoking family members having 'smoking related diseases' and their proximity to members who did.

I don't know who this man is, but worth reading if you're willing to look at the use of data by the anti-smoking lobby.

And then note the significance, statistical and moral, of the test carried out in California which had the largest sample size of all and which conclusively found no correlation whatsoever between passive smoking and smoking related mortality.

quote:
Killing the passive smoking debate
Fraudulent science does not serve the public interest – or end the debate over secondhand smoke by Michael Fumento

The studies behind calls for smoking bans and curbs on secondhand smoke – supposedly to improve human health and save lives – are really little more than smoke and mirrors, argues Michael Fumento. For example, of 48 separate studies of risks from passive or secondhand smoke, only 7 showed a statistically significant increased risk of lung cancer; 41 showed no increased risk. But by looking at the 48 studies all together, the scientists concluded that a significant risk existed. Other studies were similarly questionable or even fraudulent. And yet, the regulations continue to tighten, and headlines continue to scream that “passive smoking kills thousands.”

What was really needed was one study involving a huge number of participants over a long period of time using the same evaluation.

We got that in the prestigious British Medical Journal in 2003. Research professor James Enstrom of UCLA and professor Geoffrey Kabat of the State University of New York, Stony Brook presented results of a 39-year study of 35,561 Californians, which dwarfed in size everything that came before. It found no “causal relationship between exposure to [passive smoke] and tobacco-related mortality”

This study is actually statistically significant in scientific terms, there is no causal relationship between passive smoking and dying of smoking related causes.

But the bandwagon rolls on.

I do hope this helps you in trying to imagine how such a bandwagon got moving in the Man Made Global Warming Dire Warning Theory, as you post to Alan, and got taken up 'by world governments'.

quote:
Alan, this is all fascinating stuff. I'm trying to imagine a mechanism by which machieavellian government conspiracists skew all the research in the universities, met office etc to invent a notion like anthropogenic climate change. They can influence funding, so off everyone goes to do their research. However (because for the purposes of this fiction ACC does not exist) they discover that there is no such thing. Presumably the logic would go that they then change their findings to invent ACC, thus receive approval from the funding bodies and get more grants, keeping them in a job? OK, it wouldn't get any papers passed peer review, so that doesn't work. Except... wait a minute... all the peers are in on it too!

That seems logical to me. So if this happened in every country in the world - voila, there's your answer. Totally logical - just wildly paranoid and (like most conspiracy theories) reliant on tens or even hundreds of thousands of people to be complicit without blowing the gaffe. Oh, and the belief that all governments (including China, North Korea and the USA) have a vested interest in spreading the lie that ACC is real. Incidentally, on this last point, none of the sceptics on this forum have even speculated why this might be true, which is significant since their whole conspiracy theory relies on a motive. And before she says is... Littlelady, if this is neither a conspiracy and it is not true, then what exactly IS it?! Remember, that bastion of truth Martin Durkin told us "we are being told lies"... sounds like a conspiracy to me.

But, wow, for the first time I can see that it could be possible - merely infitessimally unlikely!

You'd err in trying to find one agenda because this wagon is driven and pushed by many disparate ones, from the pro-nuclear energy to the homespun, but the reasons, the agendas, don't actually matter in understanding why 'all world governments' can be wrong.

What matters here is the psychology behind the event. At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law the best recent example well-known enough but at an objective distance is Hitler. His charismatic presence and rousing speeches to people drowning in inflation drove his agenda of superiority to gross evil in his desire for domination and for various agendas others joined him, it took the determination of a small island to stand up to him to break free from this. Might does not equal right 'even if the whole universe is in agreement against me'(*).

Back to the Global Warming Theory.

As I brought to your attention earlier in this discussion, in 1995 the IPCC produced a conclusion which claimed there was no indication that manmade global warming existed, but almost immediately retracted and produced another conclusion which claimed that there was. What interest/who caused that change since there was no change in the body of data to warrant it?

From then on the IPCC has not only jumped on the bandwagon but has become its official voice:

quote:
The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) claims that human activities are responsible for nearly all earth’s recorded warming during the past two centuries. A widely circulated image used by the IPCC dramatically depicting these temperature trends resembles a hockey stick with three distinct parts: a flat “shaft” extending from A.D. 1000 to 1900, a “blade” shooting up from A.D. 1900 to 2000, and a range of uncertainty in temperature estimates that envelops the shaft like a “sheath.” [See the figure.] This image was produced by Michael Mann, Ray Bradley and Malcolm Hughes (Nature, 1998; Geophysical Research Letters, 1999). Last year, Mann and Phil Jones claimed to have extended estimates back to A.D. 200 (Geophysical Research Letters, 2003). However, five independent research groups have uncovered problems with the underlying reconstructions by Mann and his colleagues in their 1998 and 1999 work that have persisted through his most recent collaborative efforts, calling into question all three components of the “hockey stick.”

The Hockey Stick is Broken. Mann wrote the part of the IPCC Third Assessment Report (2001) that proclaims that nearly all of the climate change seen during the last two millennia occurred during the 20th century and that it is due to human activities. The report contends that industrialization put carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, leading to increasing global air temperatures. Furthermore, based on Mann’s work, the IPCC claimed that the 1990s were the warmest decade of the last millennium and 1998 was the warmest year. But a review of the data shows that these claims are untenable. Mann’s research is clearly the outlier. (Breaking the “Hockey Stick” by David R. Legates
Brief Analysis No. 478 Monday, July 12, 2004

We might never know which came first, the agenda or Mann's Hockey Stick, but it has been discredited by peer review as I showed in my previous post.

And I ask you again, if there is no indication that the warming we are experiencing is anything out of the natural order of our climate, where is the problem?

Myrrh

(*)St Maximos the Confessor "Even if the whole universe should begin to commune with the patriarch.."

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
We might never know which came first, the agenda or Mann's Hockey Stick, but it has been discredited by peer review as I showed in my previous post.

And, as I showed some time back (I can't be bothered to find the links again) Mann's data has been shown to be more-or-less correct in several other peer reviewed papers. Not to mention accepted by a wide number of scientific bodies after careful consideration of all the data. Here's another example ...

quote:
The ‘hockey stick’ reconstruction of Mann et al. (1999) has been the subject of several critical studies.
followed by several pages of summary of the various papers covering temperature reconstruction for the last 1000+ years. With a conclusion
quote:
The weight of current multi-proxy evidence, therefore, suggests greater 20th-century warmth, in comparison with temperature levels of the previous 400 years, than was shown in the TAR [Third Assessment Report, the 2001 IPCC report]. On the evidence of the previous and four new reconstructions that reach back more than 1 kyr, it is likely that the 20th century was the warmest in at least the past 1.3 kyr. Considering the recent instrumental and longer proxy evidence together, it is very likely that average NH temperatures during the second half of the 20th century were higher than for any other 50-year period in the last 500 years.
Which, summarised simply, translates to "if you look at all the data now available, Northern Hemisphere temperature reconstructions are very similar to the 'hockey stick'". And, indeed the new data suggest that the temperature increase in the last century compared to the previous few centuries is even greater than suggested by Mann's data presented in 2001.

But, you're unlikely to want to even consider that as it's from the IPCC report ( chapter 6, starting from page 466).

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Littlelady, if this is neither a conspiracy and it is not true, then what exactly IS it?!

Huh? I was just talking with Myrrh there about people's sense of moral superiority. Like the punch I got for smoking in the open air or the telling I got from someone at work for not watching my stupid carbon footprint.

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

quote:
quote:
Littlelady, if this is neither a conspiracy and it is not true, then what exactly IS it?!

Huh? I was just talking with Myrrh there about people's sense of moral superiority. Like the punch I got for smoking in the open air or the telling I got from someone at work for not watching my stupid carbon footprint.
Forgive, I was referring to some of your earlier comments that although I kept referring to the claims made in GGWS et al as a conspiracy, it was only I that was giving it that label and you weren't. If collective action to change the world's science papers and the peer review process to supress the truth ("you are being told lies!") isn't a conspiracy, I don't know what is...
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

And, as I showed some time back (I can't be bothered to find the links again) Mann's data has been shown to be more-or-less correct in several other peer reviewed papers. Not to mention accepted by a wide number of scientific bodies after careful consideration of all the data. Here's another example ...

quote:
The ‘hockey stick’ reconstruction of Mann et al. (1999) has been the subject of several critical studies.
followed by several pages of summary of the various papers covering temperature reconstruction for the last 1000+ years. With a conclusion
quote:
The weight of current multi-proxy evidence, therefore, suggests greater 20th-century warmth, in comparison with temperature levels of the previous 400 years, than was shown in the TAR [Third Assessment Report, the 2001 IPCC report]. On the evidence of the previous and four new reconstructions that reach back more than 1 kyr, it is likely that the 20th century was the warmest in at least the past 1.3 kyr. Considering the recent instrumental and longer proxy evidence together, it is very likely that average NH temperatures during the second half of the 20th century were higher than for any other 50-year period in the last 500 years.
Which, summarised simply, translates to "if you look at all the data now available, Northern Hemisphere temperature reconstructions are very similar to the 'hockey stick'". And, indeed the new data suggest that the temperature increase in the last century compared to the previous few centuries is even greater than suggested by Mann's data presented in 2001.

But, you're unlikely to want to even consider that as it's from the IPCC report ( chapter 6, starting from page 466).

And I keep drawing your attention to the format of that statement and others like it are nonsense, it does not show Mann & Co vindicated and he and his actual method of modelling have been soundly, reasonably and logically discredited by peer review. Have you even bothered to read why? It is spin to cover up the balls up of Mann's hockey stick by first associating it with more or less uncontroversial data. It's a classic example of how to lie with statistics by associating the arguments against the hockey stick by proximity to it.

I'm really sorry that you think "The weight of current multi-proxy evidence, therefore, suggests greater 20th-century warmth, in comparison with temperature levels of the previous 400 years" vindicates Mann for his junk science which eliminated the MWP and MIA. It's a simple measurement against the temperature in the depths of the Mini Ice Age. The weight of multi-proxy evidence has always said that. It's still in recent historical memory that we held parties on the frozen Thames.

"On the evidence of the previous and four new reconstructions that reach back more than 1 kyr, it is likely that the 20th century was the warmest in at least the past 1.3 kyr."

Which previous and four new reconstructions?

They're still trying to eliminate the MWP. by not mentioning that we had several centuries of very hot weather and "it is likely" is actually not the case.

That's not the evidence from real climate science and the evidence of history.

quote:
20th Century Climate Not So Hot CfA Press Release Release No.: 03-10
For Release: March 31, 2003

Cambridge, MA - A review of more than 200 climate studies led by researchers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics has determined that the 20th century is neither the warmest century nor the century with the most extreme weather of the past 1000 years. The review also confirmed that the Medieval Warm Period of 800 to 1300 A.D. and the Little Ice Age of 1300 to 1900 A.D. were worldwide phenomena not limited to the European and North American continents. While 20th century temperatures are much higher than in the Little Ice Age period, many parts of the world show the medieval warmth to be greater than that of the 20th century.

"Many true research advances in reconstructing ancient climates have occurred over the past two decades," Soon says, "so we felt it was time to pull together a large sample of recent studies from the last 5-10 years and look for patterns of variability and change. In fact, clear patterns did emerge showing that regions worldwide experienced the highs of the Medieval Warm Period and lows of the Little Ice Age, and that 20th century temperatures are generally cooler than during the medieval warmth."

You said:
quote:
Which, summarised simply, translates to "if you look at all the data now available, Northern Hemisphere temperature reconstructions are very similar to the 'hockey stick'".
This is simply not true. The Hockey Stick elimates the MWP and MIA - it's flat. That's what's wrong with it. It doesn't correspond to known reality.

Even if the temperature today is similar to the MWP what it shows is that today is nothing special.

And by looking at the pattern of mini warming and cooling we see exactly this natural variation regardless of man's imput, the normal behaviour of the earth's temperature in this interglacial as in the previous 450,000 years.

This is a scam. At its worst it's deliberate scientific fraud (we are interested in the science aren't we?).

This is politics manipulating science as much as any power has manipulated the belief system of the day.

There really is a Medieval Warm Period of several centuries and today is nothing out of the ordinary.

One such contributing study of tree ring data Climate Change During Medieval Warm Period Very Similar to 20th Century Rise in Temperature

The Hockey Stick is dead.

And CO2 levels have sod all to do with it.

Noiseboy, the following page has Monckton's reply to a criticism from the Guardian of his article published in the Telegraph. Articles on Medieval Warm Period

Myrrh

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
"On the evidence of the previous and four new reconstructions that reach back more than 1 kyr, it is likely that the 20th century was the warmest in at least the past 1.3 kyr."

I'm sorry, I thought I made it clear. I'd quoted the first sentance, and final concluding sentance of a long section of several pages of summary of studies of the climate of the northern hemisphere over the last 1000+ years. The previous reconstruction was the one published in the 2001 IPCC reports (which includes Mann's data), the four new reconstructions are studies published since then covering that time period. Oh, and those several pages also include quite a bit about the MWP and MIA.

--------------------

Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

Monkton is not a climate scientist, I am not remotely interested in his own bizarre interpretations of climate science.
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

I'm sorry, I thought I made it clear. I'd quoted the first sentance, and final concluding sentance of a long section of several pages of summary of studies of the climate of the northern hemisphere over the last 1000+ years. The previous reconstruction was the one published in the 2001 IPCC reports (which includes Mann's data), the four new reconstructions are studies published since then covering that time period. Oh, and those several pages also include quite a bit about the MWP and MIA.
Sorry I hadn't made myself clear. Being more familiar with the material I was asking for more specific information on these. Particularly the four new reconstructions. Who and where can I find them?

Thanks.

Myrrh

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Taken from Table 6.1 of the report I linked to:

• Moberg A, et al (2005). Highly variable Northern Hemisphere temperatures reconstructed from low- and high-resolution proxy data. Nature, 433, 613-617.
    Gives temperature data for the period 1AD-1979.
  • Mann, M.E., and P.D. Jones (2003). Global surface temperatures over the past two millennia. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 1820.
    Gives temperature data for the period 200-1980.
  • Hegerl, G.C., T.J. Crowley, W.T. Hyde, and D.J. Frame (2006) Climate sensitivity constrained by temperature reconstructions over the past seven centuries. Nature, 440, 1029–1032.
    Gives temperature data for the period 558-1960 (the earlier data are constrained by fitting the last 7 centuries to independant temperature data).
  • D’Arrigo, R., R. Wilson, and G. Jacoby (2006) On the long-term context for late twentieth century warming. J. Geophys. Res., 111.
    Gives temperature data for the period 713-1995.
The IPCC report also includes other data for more recent periods, but as these mostly post-date the LIA and MWP they're less relevant - though they do show whether the longer time series data are consistent with the more recent stuff over the period where they overlap, which is an important consideration. The report also summarises several studies that look at the methods used to reconstruct these temperature records from proxies, including those that criticise and support the early Mann reconstruction (aka the 'hockey stick'). It's a good balanced summary of a decade or more's work, including the most recent work, and well worth taking the time to read.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it has been mentioned before on the thread that data suggest that the IPCC's models are actually quite conservative...

This paper, published in the current edition of Science (subscription may be required, but I think you can see the abstract) assesses this and I think their conclusion bears noting -

quote:
Overall, these observational data underscore the concerns about global climate change. Previous projections, as summarized by IPCC, have not exaggerated but may in some respects even have underestimated the change, in particular for sea level.

[ 09. May 2007, 12:57: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noiseboy
Shipmate
# 11982

dj_ordinaire - quite. The sea level thing got even more confusing in the last report, because for the first time the IPCC omitted some measurements from ice sheets. The headline projected figure went down, but what that figure meant changed - for a full breakdown of this, the ever-reliable Real Climate have a helpful guide, including a brief summary at the end for those like me who go boggle-eyed when climate scientists go into technical detail. But hey, it's their job.

Most worrying is the report last week that observed changes in the arctic since 1970 exceed every model simulation ever run, which certainly backs up the claim that the IPCC numbers are conservative.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016