homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: That's not in the Bible! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: That's not in the Bible!
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well all I can say is thank goodness that there is a scriptural precedent for falling asleep during the sermon!
The Apostle Paul affirmed its goodness by healing the man who was injured in doing this!
Acts 20

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:

The Apostle Paul affirmed its goodness by healing the man who was injured

quote:
Paul went down, threw himself on the young man and put his arms around him.
You try that nowadays, the Diocesan Director of Professional Standards would have your guts for garters. But do we read of DPSs in God's Word?

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well all I can say is thank goodness that there is a scriptural precedent for falling asleep during the sermon!
The Apostle Paul affirmed its goodness by healing the man who was injured in doing this!
Acts 20

The moral of the story is that preachers should not put people to sleep unless they can raise them from the dead.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No as the Principal of Adams College said in one of the shortest sermons in History

quote:
Short sermons for tired people
Oh I think there was only the Gloria after that, to make up the entire sermon!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Acts 20

What worries me about this story is that, far from getting the hint, Paul raised the poor fool from the dead, and then kept on preaching!!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
quote:
Acts 20

What worries me about this story is that, far from getting the hint, Paul raised the poor fool from the dead, and then kept on preaching!!
Once the guy fell out of the window, the air flow in the room was greatly improved. Nobody else passed out.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So how many of us sat in windows yesterday in church? Apparently it's the thing to do! (As long as we manage to stay awake.) [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it Biblical to sing the same song over and over and over and over? If not, I'm all for the back to the Bible method of church reform. [Biased]

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know the psalms do have "sing a new song to the Lord" yet seem to themselves have been used rather repetitively in worship and repeat themselves pretty often.

Then Our Lord quote psalm 22 on the cross so showed some familiarity with it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:

The Apostle Paul affirmed its goodness by healing the man who was injured

quote:
Paul went down, threw himself on the young man and put his arms around him.
You try that nowadays, the Diocesan Director of Professional Standards would have your guts for garters. But do we read of DPSs in God's Word?

FD

Necrophilia! Horrors! [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
quote:
Acts 20

Once the guy fell out of the window, the air flow in the room was greatly improved. Nobody else passed out.
What with the airflow and the rather intense adrenal rush that comes with watching people fall three stories there wasn't much chance of dozing off. The event certainly gave the sermon a second wind.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arkady Rose
Apprentice
# 11852

- Posted      Profile for Arkady Rose   Author's homepage   Email Arkady Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
No, no 'tis the guitarists who are dammned. I think the organ, though not mentioned in the Bible, was ratified by the Council at Nicea, so it's OK.

If guitarists are damned, what happens to ukelelists? (Yes, we have two ukelele players in our church!)

--------------------
Arkady

Posts: 7 | From: Walthamstow, London, UK | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ukelele Orchestra of Gt. Britain are playing in the Cathedral during the Festival in July. Fantastic!

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never considered that there might be a group of ukeleles! [Smile] We had a group of eight harpists at our church once. That was a lovely concert! And...I think that was a Bible-based instrument grouping! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I have never considered that there might be a group of ukeleles! [Smile] We had a group of eight harpists at our church once. That was a lovely concert! And...I think that was a Bible-based instrument grouping! [Big Grin]

http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016