homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Chelsea is first because of icklejen! [Big Grin]

Really - I wasn't sure I'd mentioned I like Chelsea [Biased]
But we're away from home this weekend, so I'm predicting a one-nil dirge!

Anyway, seeing as I spend my time praying for
Manchester United
Liverpool
Arsenal
to do badly, I shall see what it feels like to cheer them on for a change!

Now I just have to decide if football or the quiz is more important to me!

ij x

Xposted with Rugasaw - if I didn't pick the Blues then dl is spared my wrath! Anyway - you make me sound obsessed - never!! [Razz]

[ 26. September 2008, 03:03: Message edited by: icklejen ]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Are you going to be allowed back in the house after who you picked? Or rather who you didn't pick?

Even Jen acknowledges that Chelsea are not exactly a well-oiled goal-scoring machine.

Help, she's just walked in the room with a baseball bat.... [Eek!]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope we have an NFL round before I'm knocked out!!

I pick:

Portsmouth
Wigan
Bolton

Haven't got a clue what they can do!

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OOOPS!! Do they have to be playing on Saturday? he.. hee..

If so, I pick:

Hull City
Sunderland
Bolton

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the pilgrim:
OOOPS!! Do they have to be playing on Saturday? he.. hee..

If so, I pick:

Hull City
Sunderland
Bolton

No. All weekend matches count so your first choice stands.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will go against Lawro and choose Bolton, Hull & Sunderland.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Man City
West Ham
Blackburn

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As there is a merseyside darby this weekend i pick Everton and Liverpool, also i'm always pleased in Portsmouth do well so i'll have them as well, but really know nothing about football!!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arsenal
Liverpool
Newcastle

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
OMG, I'm still in! Well, giddy with delight I shall peruse the teams and probably pick by color of the jerseys (do they show that?) because I know nothing at all about the subject!

That's how I pick American football teams.

(And I'm doing better than Rugasaw in our family football pool, much to his dismay.)

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Razz]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
1) Arsenal
2) Hull
3) Chelsea.

Yes, I know Arsenal and Hull are playing each other. This is called hedging my bets. In a game where it doesn't matter a jot how well you do so long as you don't come last, I figure reducing your variance without reducing your expectation too much is always good and picking teams whose fortunes are negatively correlated achieves that.

This strategy will work great unless the game turns out 0-0.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it does, then I'll probably do pretty badly in round 1 (goals for), but given the number of people playing I'll probably at worst tie with people. I'll then do great in the second round and not get eliminated.

At least, that's the plan...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't believe it! I'm away from the Ship for a day and I'm out of the Quiz. And I was so looking forward to getting knocked out on the baseball round again, particuarly as the Yankees are guaranteed not to feature [Big Grin]

Also-ranning, I'll go for:

Tottenham
Everton
Arsenal

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
quote:
Are you going to be allowed back in the house after who you picked? Or rather who you didn't pick?

Even Jen acknowledges that Chelsea are not exactly a well-oiled goal-scoring machine.

Help, she's just walked in the room with a baseball bat.... [Eek!]

They didn't have jerseys on display, so I just picked the ones with names I liked...Chelsea just sounds nice, I mean, fighting fierce!

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope we have an NFL round before I'm knocked out!!

If so, I will be guessing again. Actually, I like the "jersey color" theory of picking teams. I think I'll use that one next time!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come on, Quizmaster! At least make it challenging for icklejen to bring football into the conversation! Her "Premier-ship" was brilliant, but this leaves her no room to shine.

I go for:

1. Aston Villa
2. Tottenham Hotspur
3. Arsenal

not on careful study of form, but for the reason that my first two picks are the only Premiership clubs with unique "titles" (Villa and Hotspur) among the 92 clubs in the league, and Arsenal play football the way it should be played.

(Rugmaker, I'm so happy that the Yankees are going to miss the play-offs with a week of the season to go, I don't even care that my poor Giants are still as crap as ever)

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

If so, I will be guessing again. Actually, I like the "jersey color" theory of picking teams. I think I'll use that one next time!
In the interest of disclosure I confess that the only time I have been to the horse races here (Pimlico) I used the jersey color method and was spectacularly unsuccessful with my $15 total bets! But I had a lot of fun.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wigan Athletic
Bolton
Stoke City

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Unless I am mistaken nobody has chosen the top three scoring teams.

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Come on, Quizmaster! At least make it challenging for icklejen to bring football into the conversation! Her "Premier-ship" was brilliant, but this leaves her no room to shine.

Bless you! I work with all women - so I have to take it out on you lot on my breaks [Smile] Today's topic was how good looking Blair and Brown are, and therefore how lucky I am to be British. No. Really!

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

quote:
Unless I am mistaken nobody has chosen the top three scoring teams.

In addition to the "color scheme" approach to
picking a team, I also operate from the perspective of a college basketball fan: any team can win/any can lose on a given day.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good.

We have a full set of entries.

It really will be on the scores this year.

You deserve your brinkmanship point Rogue, even though you are already an Also Ran.
[Disappointed]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

The players who could lose if I understand the rules correctly. And that is a big IF.

Doublethink-2
CuppaT-1 Portsmouth to play
Rugasaw-2 Man City to play
Caty-2 Man City to play
Genevieve-2 Wigan to play
Nutmeg-0 Wigan and Man City to play
Davelarge-2 Tottenham to play
Hart-2
Pilgrim-0 Wigan and Portsmouth to play
Surfing Madness-2 Portsmouth to play
Rugmaker-0 Tottenham to play*
The Great Gumby-2 Tottenham to play
Golden Key-0 Wigan to play

Golden Key seems to be closest to the edge, but anything can happen. If Wigan scores 2 and Man City scores, and Tottenham scores 0 then 8 shippies could be eliminated.

*denotes also ran.

[eta: clarity]

[ 27. September 2008, 17:34: Message edited by: rugasaw ]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The table with one more Saturday match to play is:

6 2 East Price Road
4 0 Icklejen
4 0 Quizmaster
4 1 Chicklegirl
4 1 Mertseger
4 1 Patdys
4 2 Flags_Fiend
3 0 Jedijudy
3 1 PataLeBon
3 2 Fletcher Christian
3 4 Angel Wrestler
3 4 Chorister
2 0 Caty.
2 0 Davelarge
2 0 Hart
2 1 Rugasaw
2 1 The Great Gumby
2 2 Doublethink
2 2 Genevieve
2 2 Surfing Madness
1 3 CuppaT
1 4 The Rogue
0 0 Nutmeg
0 2 The Pilgrim
0 2 Rugmaker
0 4 Golden Key

Golden Key is set for the drop.

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

This is the point where despite my cynical distrust of Congress, the (gag) President, the ABC, etc., I declare my trust in the Quizmaster's integrity and abilityto figure out who has won and who hasn't because I haven't bothered to follow the games and might not understand anyway.
Cheers, and a nice sip of brandy here!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel that my score reflects my nomenclature rather well [Cool]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

[Mad] Damn the stupid quiz!

Now I am thinking "ah, cr*p Arsenal lost".

Despite the fact that it meant the Chels went back to top. And it was Hull who beat Arsenal (my beloved brother-in-law supports Hull, so they're my second team!). Quizmaster has turned this good thing into a bad thing! My head may explode! [Help]

ij x

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The table as it stands at the end of Saturday:

6 2 East Price Road
5 2 Icklejen
5 2 Quizmaster
5 3 Chicklegirl
5 3 Hart
5 3 Patdys
4 1 Mertseger
4 2 Flags_Fiend
4 2 Jedijudy
4 3 Doublethink
4 4 Fletcher Christian
3 1 PataLeBon
3 2 Caty.
3 2 Davelarge
3 3 Rugasaw
3 3 The Great Gumby
3 4 Angel Wrestler
3 4 Chorister
3 5 The Rogue
2 2 Genevieve
2 2 Surfing Madness
1 3 CuppaT
1 4 Rugmaker
0 1 Nutmeg
0 2 The Pilgrim
0 4 Golden Key

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There you go, East Price Road! You're topping a list and a few pages ago you were ready to drop out because you didn't understand the quiz that nobody understands, which is half the fun. Good for you!

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This round has entertained my entire family this evening: knowing that I am fairly indifferent to football, they were quite intrigued about why I was glued to the screen and cursing Hull.
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CuppaT:
There you go, East Price Road! You're topping a list and a few pages ago you were ready to drop out because you didn't understand the quiz that nobody understands, which is half the fun. Good for you!

Thanks! This proves that understanding is overrated. [Yipee]
Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
Thanks! This proves that understanding is overrated. [Yipee]

Indeed it is! [Big Grin]

*cough*

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The final table after the weekend:

6 2 East Price Road
5 2 Icklejen
5 2 PataLeBon
5 2 Quizmaster
5 3 Chicklegirl
5 3 Hart
5 3 Mertseger
5 3 Patdys
5 4 Flags_Fiend
4 2 Jedijudy
4 2 Surfing Madness
4 3 Doublethink
4 3 Genevieve
4 3 The Pilgrim
4 4 Caty.
4 4 Fletcher Christian
4 5 Rugasaw
3 3 CuppaT
3 4 Angel Wrestler
3 4 Chorister
3 4 Davelarge
3 4 Nutmeg
3 5 The Great Gumby
3 5 The Rogue
2 5 Golden Key
1 6 Rugmaker

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Eliminated for not scoring enough goals:
Golden Key

QUALIFIERS
Angel Wrestler
Caty.
Chicklegirl
Chorister
CuppaT
Davelarge
Doublethink
East Price Road
Flags_Fiend
Fletcher Christian
Genevieve
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Patdys
Rugasaw
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND SEVEN : CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS

You must choose a chemical compound and as always you must be the first to choose that particular compound.

You must post the name of the compound, the formula for that compound and then the value calculated as follows:

Add the letters of the compound using A=1, ..., Z=26 then divide by the numbers in the compound added together.

THE PERSON POSTING THE COMPOUND WITH THE VALUE CLOSEST TO THE MEAN AVERAGE VALUE WILL BE ELIMINATED.

My Choice:

NAME - Maitotoxin
FORMULA - C164 H256 Na2 O68 S2
VALUE -

C + H + N + a + O + S
3 + 8 + 14+ 1 + 15+ 19 = 60

164 + 256 + 2 + 68 + 2 = 492

60 / 492 = 0.12195121951219512195 approximately

--------------------

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh goody! I get to be first. Gee, Quizmaster, you're making me remember high school chemistry.

I choose

Lead Nitrate
PbNO3

P + b + N + O
15+ 2 + 13 + 14 = 44

1 + 1 + 3 = 5

44 / 5 = 8.8

(I am presuming you mean for us to count the 1's that are implied when no number is given)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I choose Di-Hydrogen Oxide.

H2 O
8+15=23/3=7.6666...

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Should we be rounding off to 2 decimal places, as in good scientific reporting? (and for ease of computing too!)

--------------------

ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alizarin Crimson

Molecular formula = C14 H8 O4

value:

C + H + O = 3 + 8 + 15 = 26

14 + 8 + 4 = 26

26 / 26 = 1

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

I pick Decaborane

B10H14

Value: 2 + 8 =10
10 + 14 = 24

10/24 = .41

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sucrose (which I couldn't do without. [Biased] )

C12 H22 O11

So that's..

3+8+15=26

12+22+11=45

26/45 = 0.5777777777777777777and so forth....

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose stink damp or Hydrogen sulfide, H2S. As a producer, (although smelling like Roses), it seems appropriate.
8x2 + 19 = 35
Divided by 3=

By the way, Rose is my mother in law. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
Should we be rounding off to 2 decimal places, as in good scientific reporting? (and for ease of computing too!)

True scientific reporting would round to the nearest significant digit. Currently it looks like it will be one or two decimal places but it could stretch out to three.

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maxfield Parrish used cobalt blue so frequently in his paintings that it is sometimes called "parrish blue". The pigment is made from cobalt aluminate, (CoAl2O4).

C+O+A+O=

3+15+1+15=34

2+4=6

34/6=5.7 (rounded up from 5.66666666666666666666...)

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone's got to do it: Ethanol. C2H6O.

C H O
3+8+15=26

2+6+1=9

26/9=2.89.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:

C+O+A+O=

3+15+1+15=34

2+4=6

34/6=5.7 (rounded up from 5.66666666666666666666...)

Ah, yes--I'm at least starting to catch my own errors. [Hot and Hormonal]

That should be:

C+O+A+L+O=

3+15+1+12+15=46

2+4=6

46/6=7.67 (rounded up from 7.66666666666666666666...)

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the, ever popular, explosion in a custard factory:

C6H12O6(s)+6O2(g) --> 6CO2(g)+6H2O(g)

Now, I want to be clear here, in honour of the essential uncertainty that is the philosophical space of the Knockout quiz - I am choosing the "-->" bit, the moment of universal indrawn breath and quantum undeterminedness when nothing quite knows it is yet, the fragment of a second before everything goes bang. And as this is the moment of balance, represented by neither letters nor numbers I assign it the value 0.

(I know someone will now come and poke ever so gentle holes in my understanding of chemistry - But I don't care ! There is no such thing as truth ! All ontological claims must be stripped naked and made to dance in the light of their burning bridges ! Rage for the dying of the contested narrative ! I believe in the confused custard particle and you can't take that away from me !)

[ETA: Perhaps less caffeine before my next post.)

[ 29. September 2008, 00:49: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

I will use Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), still a wonderful home medicine-cabinet Antiseptic, as any parent will tell you.

8+15=23 2+2=4 23/4= 5.75

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Being the plain, non-adventurous type, I choose
NaCl, or salt.

14+1+3+12=30
1+1=2
30/2=15

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016