homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will stick to not making more precise predictions, but I've been predicting for about six weeks that the Rays would win the Series as Bullfrog could witness if he were here.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Winner: Phillies
Series score: 5-2
Final game score: Phillies-4, Rays-3
Innings:
Phillies 1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,0
Rays 0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,0

I know absolutely nothing about baseball, so have just made up the whole thing, hope it is at least a possible prediction.

flags x

(edit as realised wasn't possible)

[ 20. October 2008, 22:11: Message edited by: flags_fiend ]

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've realised that what I wrote still isn't possible, so can I change the series score to 4-2 (i.e the last game isn't necessary), at least I think that is how it works [Confused]

flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yesss! The great American passtime!

Tampa Bay will win 4 games to 2

The score of the final game will be 5 to 2 for Tampa Bay

Innings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Phil.PA 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
T.Bay. 1 0 0 0 3 1 0 0

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by flags_fiend:
I've realised that what I wrote still isn't possible, so can I change the series score to 4-2 (i.e the last game isn't necessary), at least I think that is how it works [Confused]

flags x

Yes, indeed, flags_fiend: four is the necessary number of wins in a best of seven series. All final series scores must therefore have a four (barring the Series being canceled in mid-play - hugely unlikely): nb, Doublethink.

[ 20. October 2008, 22:33: Message edited by: Mertseger ]

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] It's hard to wipe this silly grin off'n my face! I couldn't lose this series, no matter what! Had the Red Sox won, that would be good, since they spring train in My Fair Town. At least until this year. [Paranoid] If the Phillies win, that would be OK, too, since they're from the state of my birth. But, I have to go with the Rays! WooHoo! I think the fact that they eliminated the "devil" from their name would preach! [Devil]

OK, here are my guesses:

1) THE WINNING TEAM Rays
2) THE SERIES SCORE 4-3 I think it will take all seven games.
3) THE SCORE OF THE FINAL GAME 3-2
4) THE INNINGS OF THAT FINAL GAME

Phillies 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
...........0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1

Rays ...1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
...........1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 -

The Rays won't have to play inning 9, because the Phillies won't win the top of the ninth. And as it will be at Tropicana Field, Phillies will go first.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops sorry - series score 4-1

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tampa Bay 4-2

Final Game score 7-2

Tampa Bay 0 0 0 2 0 4 0 0 0
Philly 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0

And that's completely made up! [Big Grin]

(They both have good uniforms...drat...)

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once more to prove my udder disaster in picking teams this year.

Rays win game seven by the score 5-4
Phillies-010100200
Rays -100011002

Evan Longoria wins the game with a two out full count walk off 2 run homer.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

Do you mean this kind of udder disaster? That would be absolutely cowtastrophic!

[ 21. October 2008, 00:37: Message edited by: chicklegirl ]

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i know nothing, anybody got any helpful advice!! My only knowledge is from an episode of M*A*S*H, i somehow think knowing a wee bit about 1950's baseball is not going to help!!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
These predictions must have been made before the first ball is pitched in anger.

And here I thought the first ball would be pitched in Philadelphia.
Ba-Dum *Tish*

Unfortunately, the first ball will be pitched in St Petersburg. [Razz]

For those who know nothing about baseball, try MLB.com for information about the teams and schedule. The Rays haven't decided on their pitching rotation yet, so I'll hold off making my Also-Ran prediction for the moment, but home advantage for the games will be:

Game 1: Tampa Bay
Game 2: Tampa Bay
Game 3: Philadelphia
Game 4: Philadelphia
Game 5: Philadelphia (if required)
Game 6: Tampa Bay (if required)
Game 7: Tampa Bay (if required)

Home advantage is usually a strong predictor of the result of a game in the WS. If the Phillies are going to win, 4-1 is a likely result. If it goes to a 7th game, the odds heavily favour the Rays.

Quizzy, when you say:
quote:
The competitor furthest from the truth will be eliminated.
Are you speaking in general terms, about our general beliefs, approaches, and prejudices? Will you eliminate the most heretical player, or would that be furthest from "the Truth"? Or assuming that you're referring to the WS predictions, how will you quantify the error? I assume you'll add the numerical errors in the innings scores, but what about the winning team? Do you just score 1 for getting that wrong, or will you follow the same method and add the alphabetical errors in the name? If the latter, I might hedge my bets and go for PaipaBeypais to win.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My kind of round (says he who has consistently been eliminated from the quiz on rounds he claims to know something about!)

Rays to win 4-1
Final game score 7-2
Rays 002300101
Phils 101000000

David Price to pitch the bottom of the ninth for the Rays.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, here's my complete stab-in-the-dark:

Series winner: Tampa Bay Rays
Series score: Rays 4 - 3 Phillies

Score of final game: Phillies 2 - Rays 6
Innings of final game:
code:
Innings    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
Phillies 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
Rays 0 2 0 1 0 0 3 0 0

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's all about the Rays. The Phillies are possibly the worst side to reach a World Series in history.

1) THE WINNING TEAM

Will be the Rays.

2) THE SERIES SCORE

Will be 4-0

3) THE SCORE OF THE FINAL GAME

Will be 6-1 (to Tampa)

4) THE INNINGS OF THAT FINAL GAME

code:
Inning   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Rays 2 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0
Phillies 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baseball I know nothing about, so I am now submitting my best guess at the final result.

1) the Rays will take it
2) 7 games 4-3
3) The score of the final game 5 - 4( to the rays)
4) Innings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Rays 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1
phillies 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ummm, Pata? I can't seem to find that seventh run...

And, rugasaw...how many games do you think it will take? Inquiring minds and all that! [Big Grin]

We have a friendly [Confused] rivalry going on at the church where I w*rk. It's going to be hard to keep on task during the series!!!

What? You want us to talk about worship planning? But don't we want to pray for the Rays, first?...Don't listen to my colleague, the Phillies Phan, we pray for the Rays, first!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
And, rugasaw...how many games do you think it will take? Inquiring minds and all that! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw

Um, if it's got as far as game seven....

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would be really greatful if someone who knows about these things points out if this isn't possible!!!

Phillies to win
Series Score: 3-2
Final score 6-2

Phillies 10212131
Rays 01101021

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I would be really greatful if someone who knows about these things points out if this isn't possible!!!

Phillies to win

It isn't possible. [Big Grin]

The WS is played over 7 games, so the winning side will have won 4 of them. 4-1 would work, or 4-2. Your final game score also disagrees with your innings scores for that game, but maybe you're hedging.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I'm now on also-ran status [Tear] , I'm just chiming in to say good luck, everyone! I'm not going to bother making a prediction (I think I'm too late, anyhow).

Love y'all. [Axe murder]

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
(I think I'm too late, anyhow).

There's still plenty of time. The first game is scheduled to begin at 8:35pm on Wednesday, Oct. 22 in the US Eastern timezone. That's 12:35am on Thursday in GMT for all you brinkspeople out there.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Entry

TAMPA BAY RAYS

4-3 (a very popular prediction)

5-2 (I like that as a score)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Let's see how many of those innings match up.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:
These predictions must have been made before the first ball is pitched in anger.

And here I thought the first ball would be pitched in Philadelphia.

I'll go with:

1)Tampa Bay
2)4-3
3)5-3 (Tampa, obviously)
4)
code:
Inning       1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
Philadelphia 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0
Tampa Bay 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 2 0

Ah, sweet nostalgia - when the results of the Knockout Quiz were all written in code. Did babybear win the first one?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:

Phillies to win

It isn't possible. [Big Grin]

The WS is played over 7 games, so the winning side will have won 4 of them. 4-1 would work, or 4-2. Your final game score also disagrees with your innings scores for that game, but maybe you're hedging.

ta i think i'll hedge for the last one (saves working out what else to do) I'll go with series score 4-2

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Series winner: Tampa Bay Rays
Series score: Rays 4 - 2 Phillies

Score of final game: Phillies 3 - Rays 5

Innings of final game:
Innings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Phillies 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0
Rays 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 2

And I worked this all out by myself, no help from davelarge, no sirree! [Hot and Hormonal]

(Could he get a helpfulness point, unless I get knocked out of course!?)

ij x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
quote:

Do you mean this kind of udder disaster? That would be absolutely cowtastrophic!
The way I have been picking sports has been like trying to milk a bull. Now that is an udder disaster.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

I traditionally support the NL side, as the Designated Hitter is an abomination unto the Lord, but although I'd like the Phillies to win, I'll go for the Rays in 6. (That's 4-2)

I take the Rays to win game 6 by 6-3, with the innings scores:
code:
          1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Phillies 0 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0
Rays 0 2 0 0 3 1 0 0 X

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Let's see how many of those innings match up.

It's almost certain that more would
match up if you set them all to "0"...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw

Um, if it's got as far as game seven....

Ooops. [Hot and Hormonal] I blame the drugs! [Biased]

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

For anyone still trying to decide (less than 12 hours to go now), apparently victory by the Rays was prophesied by a Eighteenth Century Russian folktale.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All competitors have made a prediction.

So we DO have to watch the World Series.

Sorry!

[Razz]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

We have doomed Tampa Bay. Following the normal course of favorites vs. underdogs if the vast majority of people predict the favorite(talk about redundant) to win inevitably the underdog will win out. Since the vast majority of us predicted Tampa Bay to win this almost hands the win to Philly.

Oh, JediJudy could you please pass the drugs.

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We have doomed Tampa Bay. Following the normal course of favorites vs. underdogs if the vast majority of people predict the favorite(talk about redundant) to win inevitably the underdog will win out. Since the vast majority of us predicted Tampa Bay to win this almost hands the win to Philly.

On behalf of Doublethink, Surfing Madness, Flags_fiend and myself, thanks for sealing the deal! [Big Grin]

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While everyone is on baseball (and I see the Phillies won the first game), can someone explain to me what the 'seventh innings stretch' is? Why is the seventh considered longer than the other eight innings? [Confused]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not that the seventh is longer.

It's that people need to stand up and stretch after sitting that long. And the field crew comes out to do a few things.

They actually also do it in the third inning, but that's not pointed out as much.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Baseball's equivalent of a halftime show then?

--------------------
Brian Clough

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

Except that halfway would be about the 3rd or 4th inning...

It's more of a third or two-thirds way done show.

And not quite as long as baseball is a long game anyway.

Seriously I was at a game that went into extra innings and they started to run out of food! They had already stopped selling beer (to make sure that people were sort of sober before they went home).

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:

Oh, JediJudy could you please pass the drugs.

They're icky!!! :Mr. Yuck:

After sitting on bleachers for a few hours, the seventh inning stretch feels pretty good! (Not that we're not jumping up and down anyway with all the excitement.) (Or running to the restroom to clean up bird droppings from the squawky grackles in the rafters!)

--------------------

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
While everyone is on baseball (and I see the Phillies won the first game), can someone explain to me what the 'seventh innings stretch' is? Why is the seventh considered longer than the other eight innings? [Confused]

The 'seventh inning stretch' is a tradition in baseball that has nothing to do with the rules of the game itself, but rather with the groundskeeping practices and regulations at the professional level. At the professional and other higher levels of the game the grounds crew will come out to smooth and dampen the infield dirt a couple of times during a game to reduce the possibility of 'bad hops' of the ball caused by ruts and gouges, as well as blown up and kicked up dust, from interfering with the high level of play. As this takes a few minutes to do, people got in the habit of getting out of their seats to stretch and get a beer or hotdog during these pauses. The professional game soon standardized these groundskeeping duties to happen just prior to the start of the game, just after the third inning, and in the middle of the seventh, thereby making the seventh inning "longer" than the rest. Singing the song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" became a part of the tradition early in the last century when public group singing was still a common occurence and people still do it out of tradition when they would never dream of singing in public otherwise.

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this a bad time to point out the happy factoid that baseball is a game originating in England ? Even mentioned by Jane Austen I believe.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

There's that word again! What is the difference between a fact and a factoid? Enquiring minds are about to short-circuit! [Ultra confused] [Confused] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There's that word again! What is the difference between a fact and a factoid? Enquiring minds are about to short-circuit! [Ultra confused] [Confused] [Big Grin]

It is an unusual noun - it conjugates like a verb...

Facts: What I say are true.
Factoids: What you say are true.
Lies: What politicians say.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

factoid [fak-toid]

–noun

1. an insignificant or trivial fact.

2. something fictitious or unsubstantiated that is presented as fact, devised esp. to gain publicity and accepted because of constant repetition.

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the pilgrim:
Singing the song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" became a part of the tradition early in the last century when public group singing was still a common occurence and people still do it out of tradition when they would never dream of singing in public otherwise.

I've been to exactly one baseball game ever (Yankees v. Blue Jays while on holiday in New York in 2004) but I am fully prepared to assert on that limited evidence that precisely no fucker sings anything at all when the tune "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" is played in the seventh inning.

Hell, the only person I noticed singing the Star Spangled Banner at the start of the game was me (I assumed, wrongly, that this would be the done thing, and having started would have felt even more silly shutting up after the first line than carrying on). I'm not even convinced that most of the Yankee fans knew the words.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, it's 1-1. Looks like a nail-biter...

And Doublethink, Chicklegirl: Much obliged [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

jedijudy

# 333

***jj goes all over the Ship ringing her cowbell ***

I will be sure not to offend anyone by using proper cowbell etiquette. [Biased]

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

quote:
So, it's 1-1. Looks like a nail-biter...

For those of you suffering from onychophagia, a whole host of remedies abound.

Meanwhile, if you're not already on the edge of your seat, take a look at this. Ah, the thrill of the game!

[ETA what I left out at first!]

[ 24. October 2008, 20:11: Message edited by: chicklegirl ]

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
***jj goes all over the Ship ringing her cowbell ***

I will be sure not to offend anyone by using proper cowbell etiquette. [Biased]

You can never have to much
cowbell. Give me more cowbell.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

I'm recording the games overnight and catching up the following evening, so apart from the days off, I'll probably be avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers, but I think it was important for the Phillies to win game 1. We've seen in recent years how easily a side can be steamrollered coming off a long layoff, so at least that meant we had a contest on our hands.

One question that's been in the back of my mind ever since Five first introduced me to baseball is whether I'm the only one who thinks that the vast majority of statistics that are used to fill airtime during the game are just corollaries of the Gambler's Fallacy (in particular, the Clustering Illusion) writ large. Any hint of statistical variation, however minor, is jumped on and used to demonstrate that a particular player is on a hot streak, or doesn't perform on Tuesdays away from home, or some other nonsense. Or is it just me?

I'd love the statistical brains behind this book to do a similar job on baseball.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016