homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, okay, thanks for the reassurance, both public and private. I'll stay in the quiz and see what happens.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
Okay, okay, thanks for the reassurance, both public and private. I'll stay in the quiz and see what happens.

At'ta Boy!... Er,... I think....

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And just to make sure you don't change your mind again I will choose East Price Road.

There, now you've been chosen there is no way out.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Yipee] Yay! Good for you!

I've been in every KOQ, and I still don't know what's going on. [Hot and Hormonal] Well, most of the time! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I choose Patdys . He knows a code called "rot" apparently. People I know tell me I talk a lot of that, so we have something in common.

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to share the brandy, CuppaT. And EPR, if I am staying in, you have to stay in. the "perpetually confused" group is growing!

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gwai

Because she's a new mommy, and I picture her sitting in a nice wicker chair, singing lullabies to baby Kathryn as beautifully as a nightengale. Nearby, Bullfrog hits the Captain Morgan while studying old cars.

[ 11. September 2008, 17:27: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, I choose Patdys . He knows a code called "rot" apparently. People I know tell me I talk a lot of that, so we have something in common.

Uh-uh I've already chosen him.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:

Uh-uh I've already chosen him.
*sigh*

Okay, I choose Caty, who I believe (if I understand anything here) won last year's quiz.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the benefit of those who are yet to choose another player, the following are yet to be picked:

AndyS83
ephemera
fletcher christian
Golden Key
icklejen
Marvin the Martian
Rugmaker
Sharkshooter
Surfing Madness

(And possibly - depending on your interpretation of the rules - rugasaw, who picked himself)

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick.......
Golden Key

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Awww. [Hot and Hormonal] [Cool]

(Sends boatload of survival supplies and luxurious goodies down to Pitcairn Island.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, are you going for helpfulness points? If so, your post qualifies IMO. [Razz]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
For the benefit of those who are yet to choose another player, the following are yet to be picked:

AndyS83
ephemera
fletcher christian
Golden Key
icklejen
Marvin the Martian
Rugmaker
Sharkshooter
Surfing Madness

(And possibly - depending on your interpretation of the rules - rugasaw, who picked himself)

I am most definitely picked. I may get no points for picking myself but hey that is another story.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Sharkshooter

Are you sure about that? You might want to check the posts again, with your lateral thinking hat on...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good point. You were a little bit too clever for my fever-addled brain, Marvin. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'll just go and lie down for a bit now.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope the fever abates shortly! [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Rugasaw, I'm all for the Revolution-so you rock for picking yourself. but the instructions were to pick another competitor....or are you a multiple personality type, which would spice up things?

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
Rugasaw, I'm all for the Revolution-so you rock for picking yourself. but the instructions were to pick another competitor....or are you a multiple personality type, which would spice up things?

If this was a disqualification round you could argue I should be knocked out. But I don't think you could argue that I was not picked even if I was picked against the rules.

By the way we are offended that you suggest we may have multiple personalities.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

No doubt you're all very much in agreement with yourself. [Confused] [Razz] [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quizmaster conundrum
quote:
You have to pick one of the other competitors in this quiz, and obviously they cannot have been chosen at the time you post your entry.

Having experienced Rugasaw's cleverness before, I think it is safe to say this paragraph has been scrutinised closely. Although I would argue that to post your choice contravenes the rules, I accept an alternative explanation probably utilised by Rugasaw that QM is referring specifically to himself in the quote. This would suggest only Quizzy cannot be picked by any other competitor. Sorry Rugmaker.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

quote:
quote:

If this was a disqualification round you could argue I should be knocked out. But I don't think you could argue that I was not picked even if I was picked against the rules.

no, no, we were complimenting your cleverness!

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
no, no, we were complimenting your cleverness!

We thank you very much.

And I shall stand by Patdys' explanation of my reasoning. It sounds so much better than I wasn't really thinking at all.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Please do not adjust your computer screens. Pata* is not playing in the KOQ. I mistakenly posted under her login. [Hot and Hormonal]

*Whe thinks we (or is that I) am quite mad for playing the Quiz.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Pata* is not playing in the KOQ.

She IS now. For At least ONE round.

[Razz]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well, It seems I picked on patdys (and doublethink) even before this intermediate round. does that count ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let's all pick on Wet Kipper and then it will even things up. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
I pick Wet Kipper who entered the Knockout Quiz simply by posting on this thread.

I thought I had already done that!

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So does that mean that Rugasaw has picked me?

(Nevermind what that has to say about Ruggy's reading skills...Or is he just that clever? Or that confused after evacuating? The world might never know. [Biased] )

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Quiz! The Quiz! it's on again. [Big Grin]

OK first round , the Movie.

Forest Gump - Intellectually challenged southerner shows life is like a box of chocolates.

Now picking someone for the intermediate round.

I'll pick Golden Key, one of the loveliest shipmates from way back. I have no idea what quizzy is talking about with his quote, but heck, that never stops anyone does it?

YAY the quiz, the quiz. [Big Grin]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
Forest Gump - Intellectually challenged southerner shows life is like a box of chocolates.

Is that too many words, or has someone cut one of my fingers off?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nutmeg--

Thanks for your kind words, but someone already picked me.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Is that too many words, or has someone cut one of my fingers off?
*deletes Nutmeg's is*

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

I guess I ought to answer round 1....

(Evacuation will cause insanity in a person and all that... [Biased] )

In that light - Stargate: Pyramids are UFOs. Big ring. Gods are aliens. BOOM!

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
well, It seems I picked on patdys (and doublethink) even before this intermediate round. does that count ?

[Big Grin] You are an absolute delight. I'm still chuckling.
Mind you I found your post as bit chatty; better watch out, one of the hosts is a real hardnose. [Razz]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Gwai, for helping with my math.

Golden Key, sorry that I missed out, I will have to choose again.

PataLeBon I pick you.

Hopefully I have got that right. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This competition is one of the Ship's more tangential pieces of ephemera.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

Mind you I found your post as bit chatty; better watch out, one of the hosts is a real hardnose. [Razz]

Sir! Sir! Now patdys is picking on Wet Kipper!

Why don't we all sit down and have a nice cup of milk while Sir marks our test papers in peace.

--------------------

Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Movie: The Life of Brian-blasphemy has never been more amusing.

Can I pick Gwai? She is always interesting to read. I know she'll come up with something good.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6027 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't mind being picked and I very much like being interesting, but I think I've already been picked by comet.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick Milton Willis.

At least, if I understand correctly.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

quote:
Thanks Gwai, for helping with my math.

Golden Key, sorry that I missed out, I will have to choose again.

PataLeBon I pick you.

Hopefully I have got that right. [Roll Eyes]

I have no clue...

I think Rugasaw has either picked himself or me (by posting as me).

And even if you pick me, do I still need to pick someone? And if so, did I pick Rug earlier?

This is more confusing than Harris county right now. [Biased]

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
I pick Milton Willis.

At least, if I understand correctly.

<sniff> Even if you understood correctly, and are very clever, Milton has not signed up here, unless we are back to the MPD thing again.

[ 15. September 2008, 19:10: Message edited by: Geneviève ]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
The rules are simple but some of the competitors are not as you will find out.

I made a note that this year I will help new players more than before.

We welcome everyone and all you NEED to do is post an entry for each round.

What you MIGHT do is sharpen your wits in a battle with the other competitors and I have lost some battles already.

The two who posted an entry other than a competitors name were alluding to SHARKSHOOTER and SURFING MADNESS.

Like I say, the only requirement to stay in is to post an entry. Let the wordsmiths duel or join in at your own level. There are many levels here.

I used to think I understood all levels. I know better now which is why I have enlisted some help.

HELP!

If I miss something PM me and I can rectify the situation by awarding more points. Those points, however, may not be the ones you expected.

We are set to go in a few minutes time.

ENTRIES for 2008

AndyS83
Caty.
Chicklegirl
Chorister
Comet
CuppaT
Davelarge
Doublethink
East Price Road
Ephemera
Fletcher Christian
Genevieve
Golden Key
Gwai
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Marvin the Martian
Mertseger
Nutmeg
Paddy O'Furniture
PanamaJack
PataLeBon
Patdys
Quizmaster
Rugasaw
Rugmaker
Sha_Sha
Sharkshooter
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim
The Rogue
Wet Kipper

GET SET FOR BATTLE

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

THE INTERMEDIATE ROUND

You have to pick one of the other competitors
(IMPLICATION: You cannot pick yourself)
(Possible alternative: You cannot pick QM)

in this quiz, and obviously they cannot have been chosen at the time you post your entry.
(PATDYS took this to the extreme - well done!)

Examine this post again (DOUBLETHINK)
to determine or unlock the clues (GOLDEN KEY)
to extra smart points.

Listen to the nightingale (CHORISTER)
as you sit in your wicker chair (PADDY O'FURNITURE)
talking to an American sailor (PANAMA JACK)
about a 1904 Darracq (GENEVIEVE).

But remember that all you had to do was post a name
(See the entries from Marvin the Martian & Sharkshooter).

[ 15. September 2008, 21:08: Message edited by: Quizmaster ]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND ONE : LAKES

You have to choose a lake and if possible link to a map of that lake.

The person who chooses the smallest lake will be eliminated at the end of this round.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lake Superior

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it too late?? I confess that I was a little intimidated by this, but I think I want to try.

For my movie title, how about "Rain Man" - You mean Tom Cruise can act?

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lake Tanganyika
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
Is it too late?? I confess that I was a little intimidated by this, but I think I want to try.

For my movie title, how about "Rain Man" - You mean Tom Cruise can act?

As nobody has been knocked out we will accept entries during ROUND ONE.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016