homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it is not too late I would like to join and pick ickljen if she's free and Lake Baikal, Russia.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OOooooops! Try again.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
BTW: anyone want to partner with me since I'm a complete newcomer to the game and don't know what I'm doing? What do partners do, anyhow (get your mind out of the gutter; I mean for this game)?

Actually, that's something we did in one of the previous KOQ's! It was fun to have a partner in a different time zone who could keep an eye open for possible answers to quiz questions. (Thanks Welsh Dragon!) [Biased] We were able to watch each other's backs!

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what QM has in mind with this particular quest. [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
If it is not too late I would like to join and pick ickljen if she's free and Lake Baikal, Russia.

I don't think it's too late, but i'm sure someone who knows these things will be along soon, also i think you need to pick a film and describe it in ten words.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And make sure it's a film no one else has already picked.

I think that's all, except that flags_fiend has already picked icklejen, so you'll probably need to choose someone else.

[ 17. September 2008, 13:34: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
BTW: anyone want to partner with me since I'm a complete newcomer to the game and don't know what I'm doing? What do partners do, anyhow (get your mind out of the gutter; I mean for this game)?

Actually, that's something we did in one of the previous KOQ's! It was fun to have a partner in a different time zone who could keep an eye open for possible answers to quiz questions. (Thanks Welsh Dragon!) [Biased] We were able to watch each other's backs!

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what QM has in mind with this particular quest. [Smile]

Ohhhh. Thanks. I thought it was for the duration of the game.

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Dave, I think you should be OK bearing in mind the nature of the quiz... I'd just hate to see you eliminated on a technicality.

I thought that was part of the nature of the quiz [Razz]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a question: Is the Quizmaster the master of the quiz, or is the quiz the master of the Quizmaster?

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the pilgrim:
Just a question: Is the Quizmaster the master of the quiz, or is the quiz the master of the Quizmaster?

THE LATTER!

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:

Dear Pimple,

One of the dangers of joining late is that you may have missed something.

Both of your choices have been taken so you need to post again (after checking) to gain entry to the Quiz.

Yours Since Early,

Quizmaster.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

I choose Benxi Lake which claims to be the smallest lake in the world.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Knocked out for Failing to Post:

AndyS83
Paddy O'Furniture
PanamaJack
Wet Kipper

Through to the next round:

Angel Wrestler
Caty.
Chicklegirl
Chorister
Comet
CuppaT
Davelarge
Doublethink
East Price Road
Ephemera
Flags_Fiend
Fletcher Christian
Genevieve
Golden Key
Gwai
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Marvin the Martian
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Patdys
Pimple
Quizmaster
Rugasaw
Rugmaker
Sha_Sha
Sharkshooter
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim
The Rogue

In the case of Pimple this is subject to completing a valid entry.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND TWO : RIVERS

You have to choose a river and if possible post a link to that river.

The person who chooses the longest river will be eliminated.

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll leave plenty of room for other brinkspeople and not take the Nile. Instead, I'll go with the one that runs through my wife's old town. I choose The Pearl. At 2200km, it's #53 on the list of longest rivers for this planet.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the river Severn which is 220 miles long, and has the excitement of the Severn bore! I chose it mainly because it is a river I have seem at many different points along its course. It is also the longest river in the UK.

flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall live dangerously, following the examples of the sideways thinkers club.
I choose the [formerly] very cute River Phoenix

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick the hypothetical river connecting Lake Vostok to another subterrean antarctic lake. What's not to love about an oligotrophic extreme environment that is supersaturated with oxygen ?

The length of the hypothetical river is open to speculation, but its length of existence is probably half to a whole million years ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A list of the 163 longest rivers in the world is available here - it may be an idea to avoid the first fifty or so unless you're going for brinkmanship points!

My pick is the River Arrow, as it flows through my late grandmother's garden [Smile] . It's about 20 miles long, give or take a couple.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick Clear Creek off of the San Jacinto watershed.

Trust me, it's not a creek, at least not when it has a flood surge from a hurricane. [Biased]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacinto_River

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the River Styx, which runs around Hades 9 times. Interestingly*, it can be found on the map, here. My place of employment is just to the left of the elm tree on the map for any who are interested.

*I'm assuming you are all geeks.

Now, as to length.
Several different religions consign all non believer to Hell/Hades. Therefore, all are in error of at least one of these and so all people are consigned to Hades. The circumference of Hades must be large enough to contain all people throughout all time. I suspect this is quite a large number; 106 billion roughly. Assuming 1 metre of space for each then the area of Hades must be a minimum of 95% of 106,456,367,669 = 101133549285 square metres. (excludes the 5% still living)
Radius of Hades assuming a circular shape would be 179 km and circumference therefore 1127 km.
The Styx circles nine times so must be a minimum of 10146 km long.
Aren't you glad you read all this? [Disappointed]

[ 18. September 2008, 00:35: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to pick the world's longest subterranean river. Although it doesn't seem to have a name, it is 153km long, up to 72 metres deep, and 'discovered'* by a Scotsman, who was presumably looking for the fifty pence piece that he'd dropped in it.

* I say discovered, but it was originally thought to be two separate rivers so the discovery is the fact that it's actually one river.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Joan Rivers, while only 5' 2", has been around quite a long time...

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the Muddy Boggy River. Those who live near the river claim that Boggy* is French for either creek or river. So that would make the river the Muddy River River.

An interesting fact(to me anyway). I have personally caught several of the over 100 species of fish that inhabit the Muddy Buggy River watershed including the Flat Head catfish (best tasting) and yellow bullhead (worst tasting), I have also caught other catfish, gar, sunfish, perch, bass and the American Eel which apparently migrate from the Gulf of Mexico. The one thing I caught that I wish I hadn't was a cotton mouth snake. And you ask how did I catch these fish? No I do not care if you really did not ask I am going to bore you anyway so just shut up. I used trot lines, poles, throw nets, seines, nets, and in one case my hands. I note I have not caught a beaver in that watershed.

Oh yes Big Foot** has supposedly been sighted in the watershed.

*I am not sure boggy is a French word but the people in southeastern Oklahoma have never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

**I know the person who pulled the hoax and I am not entirely sure he is not related to Big Foot.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The River by Garth Brooks which is 4 minutes and 43 seconds long [Smile]

Because "There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all..."

ij x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
I shall live dangerously, following the examples of the sideways thinkers club.
I choose the [formerly] very cute River Phoenix

When you first posted this I thought you were linking to River from the Serenity! But I still think you should tell us how long this fellow River is [Biased] .

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

No time to catch up 'm afraid. Hope to catch you next time round. Have fun!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the River Lo, the size of which is 15 in any direction.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the river Ribble it's 75 miles long. i picked it because i use to go on holiday here as a child. [Smile]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the River Shimna
http://www.thelensflare.com/gallery/p_riverforest_20503.php (a nice pic)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimna_River
It's where the mountains of Mourne roll down to the sea, and I have no idea how long it is. It is quite tiny though.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll pick the village of River in Kent, which according to the linked map may be as much as 1km long.

[ETA: I understand that River Phoenix is 5'10" long, if anyone's interested.]

[ 18. September 2008, 08:08: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm staying in my local area for this one:

the River Calder, which is 45 miles long.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the Vedder River in British Columbia. It is 80 km (50 mi) long and filled with salmon. Did I mention it was in British Columbia?

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The River Tamar, whilst at only 50 miles in length isn't a biggie, has great importance in that it divides Devon from Cornwall for almost its entire length. As anyone who knows the traditional rivalry between those two counties will understand, this is hugely significant. I need to know that if the barbaric hordes are going to try invading and pillaging me in the middle of the night that they are at least going to get very, very wet and cold doing so!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the River Cafe in London which has been open for 21 years but is currently closed following a fire. I suspect I will be the only entrant to nominate a river which has burnt down.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick the River Nidd, which is about 50 miles long, mostly because the part of it I used to live near is very pretty.
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick the Mississippi River. Not that one, the one in Ontario that is 105 miles long.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My river choice is River 94.9 fm, and my link to a map is the Brisbane media map web page.

[Big Grin]

How do you measure the length of my river? The music has been flowing since late 2001, according to the media map.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PATYDS I must be a geek because I read all those statistics and calculations and I wondered if you were having a slow day at the office.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Nutmeg, is your river measured in size of the building or how far the air waves reach or how far you can connect to them online?

Also you are not a true Geek. I knew that Patdys took time out of his busy schedule because of how interesting it is to figure the length of the river Hades.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nutmeg and I are measuring our rivers in time - which is also a length. QM never specified what length we had to measure in - so they're valid entries all the same [Smile]

ij x

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rugasaw, are you trying to bring down Nutmeg's self-confidence? That is not a nice way to play (said in the tone of voice of a mother of a 4 yr old) [Frown]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
How do you measure the length of my river? ...

Wave-length? Distance between nodes?

Where did I leave my tape-measure?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose Moon River . I don't know for sure how LONG it is, but everyone knows that it's WIDER than a mile!

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Rugasaw, are you trying to bring down Nutmeg's self-confidence? That is not a nice way to play (said in the tone of voice of a mother of a 4 yr old) [Frown]

I am sorry if I sounded that way. I was trying to give her a chance to play safe (size of building) or go for brinksmanship (anywhere you can connect to the internet. I did not realize she was measuring by time. Now if we all did this whose river is the longest? That could be a good argument. Has the river Styx been around for eternity or is a human construct from Greek culture? Does anybody know how to tell how old a river(traditional sense) is? Their is a reason the great all knowing QM uses these tasks early when somebody is likely not to post.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Took a little patience, but I finally discovered that the River Shimna is 10 miles in length

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose the Crymea River

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going to pick the River Ouse, since I enjoyed it so on the Great Adventure the beginning of July. But, since Caty. chose a tributary of that lovely river, I shall pick one a bit closer to home: the Caloosahatchee.

Now on this link, you will see it listed as Caloosahatchee River, which is all wrong, sort of like Rugasaw's Muddy Boggy, as "hatchee" is the Caloosa word for "river". It is not the Caloosa River River. And, boy, do we ever get on the cases of folks who make that mistake! [Razz]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blaaarg at all you brinksing people. I can't be a brinksman when it's this popular!

So, I choose the Chicago river. It may not be long 156 miles, 251 kilometers but it is bright green sometimes. It's also unusual in that its flow was changed in the nineteenth century such that it now flows away from Lake Michigan instead of towards it.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

I was joking, Rugasaw, but obviously laid it on too thick. [Hot and Hormonal]
And who knows how the great quizmaster will vote on various entries? As a newbie to this, I don't...figure it is in fun.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
... And who knows how the great quizmaster will vote on various entries?...

That's easy ... he is hoping to figure out what to announce for the next round before the final competitor posts, thus relieving himself* of the obligation of determining whether 4 minutes 53 seconds is longer than 10,000 kms.

*Not that way.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016