homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's easy ... he is hoping to figure out what to announce for the next round before the final competitor posts
I'd better get in quick, then, with the River Trent , which I cycle alongside every day on my way to work. And again on the way back.

[ 18. September 2008, 20:51: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
... And who knows how the great quizmaster will vote on various entries?...

That's easy ... he is hoping to figure out what to announce for the next round before the final competitor posts, thus relieving himself* of the obligation of determining whether 4 minutes 53 seconds is longer than 10,000 kms.

*Not that way.

Tish, tosh. Since Quizmaster is the master of all quiz knowledge, I'm sure he knows that in an innertial frame of reference (such as the earth in orbit) that Minkowski applies, and, thus, d = ct where the speed of light is just about 300,000 km/s. Thus, assuming he chooses to call upon Special Relativity, 4 min 53 seconds = 87,900,000 km.

Of course, he could also choose to use the distance that the sound waves would travel from the beginning of the song to the end. At sea-level and 15 degrees C, that would be 293*0.34 km or nearly 100 km.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rugasaw I know I am not a true geek, but it's fun to pretend.

As for Brinkmanship, I figure there is no way I will be able to compete all the way through anyway, so why not have fun instead?

[Biased]

Quizzy, how do you measure the length of any of these rivers?

Today be talk like a pirate day.. I bes be oorrf to scub th' decks or sumetin.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LiSeine, everyone, my river's 471 miles long.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:

Actually, I think you may be a true geek*. I forget that Patdys (and many others here) are super-geeks. At one time I thought that I could come up with odd answers. The ship has taught me that my odd answers are not as odd as I thought.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I was joking, Rugasaw, but obviously laid it on too thick. [Hot and Hormonal]
And who knows how the great quizmaster will vote on various entries? As a newbie to this, I don't...figure it is in fun.

I should have realized. I heard that voice spoken to misbehaving children of ages 3-6 and had a flashback to kindergarten. I was told to color the tree. I colored the bark black and was told that trees are not black. She did not like me telling her that I have seen trees that looked like the bark was black. At any rate I failed kindergarten. I think the teacher most have hated me. I couldn't have been that bad of a child could I? Pata do not answer that.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:

Actually, I think you may be a true geek*. I forget that Patdys (and many others here) are super-geeks. At one time I thought that I could come up with odd answers. The ship has taught me that my odd answers are not as odd as I thought.
That would explain my undies on the outside... [Hot and Hormonal]

On the quiz, I think it would be safe to assume every post is meant to be in fun. A bit of stirring is common, but I cannot remember any malice or snip at any time. The only disappointment seems to come from perceived premature closing of rounds, when a competitor is eliminated through having a real life.
Hostly advice and admonishments need to be listened to and followed, but even those are gentle and guiding rather than dictatorial. (imo)

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
quote:
I was joking, Rugasaw, but obviously laid it on too thick. [Hot and Hormonal]
And who knows how the great quizmaster will vote on various entries? As a newbie to this, I don't...figure it is in fun.

I should have realized. I heard that voice spoken to misbehaving children of ages 3-6 and had a flashback to kindergarten. I was told to color the tree. I colored the bark black and was told that trees are not black. She did not like me telling her that I have seen trees that looked like the bark was black. At any rate I failed kindergarten. I think the teacher most have hated me. I couldn't have been that bad of a child could I? Pata do not answer that.
I'm just going to say that you really need to let that go. [Biased]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall pick the River Nile which used to be the longest river until the Knockout Quiz taught me otherwise.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Canoeing over the rapids,
Camping on the side,
Starry nights and skipping rocks
And watching vultures glide....

The Buffalo meanders;
No noisy stampede this .
At 15.8 miles,
It's a quiet person's bliss.

CuppaT

[quite/quiet -- who can tell the difference when you're caught up with all the url's?]

[ 19. September 2008, 03:54: Message edited by: CuppaT ]

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CuppaT:
Canoeing over the rapids,
Camping on the side,
Starry nights and skipping rocks
And watching vultures glide....

The Buffalo meanders;
No noisy stampede this .
At 15.8 miles,
It's a quiet person's bliss.

Nice post, CuppaT! Do we get points for being sweetly poetic?

[ 19. September 2008, 12:38: Message edited by: the pilgrim ]

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a category of awards for heroic playing: Pata and Rugasaw were on the run from Ike and still kept playing...of course, maybe they were so bored and anxious sitting around that any distraction looked good!
[Razz]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Through the wind and rain battling the horrible flood waters we managed to find the single wi-fi available in all of Houston. We had to fight through crowds and give up what little food we had to make into the one little wi-fi spot. The horrors* we faced are truly unmentionable. Nah, we bugged out and spent nearly a week at my parents in Oklahoma. We came back to power and water so we have suffered very little*. But the Quiz is definetly a welcome distraction.

*Pata did have to suffer horribly through my dad's addiction to conservative news.

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Conservative my foot...

Gas companies are making money off of us [Waterworks]

The economy is going to pot, how can the government send us checks?
[Waterworks]

I would understand if they were real conservatives, but those fake ones... [Disappointed]

The quiz makes much more sense than them, so I'm playing. [Biased]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
well, pedantic Cumbrians may have it in for Dave, but I reckon the Dictionary might save him.

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
Thanks for that, WC [Smile]
I guess the sticking point will be to define 'considerable',

well, we've all been considering it.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had planned to go for a river with a really long name, but Judy's entry beat my choice by one letter. (dang!)

so I'll go for brinskmanship and pick the lovely Lady that taught me to swim. 2,300 miles, give or take. that's 3,700km. and the total yukon drainage is 321 thousand square miles. dang.

this is what it looks like closer to my (former) home.

(tweaked code - it works for me now, how 'bout you?)

[ 22. September 2008, 08:38: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

not sure why but this link isn't workig Comet, was looking forward to more river pictures.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I had planned to go for a river with a really long name, but Judy's entry beat my choice by one letter. (dang!)

[Big Grin]

Who knows? Maybe there's a sekrit knockout for the river with the longest name. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eliminated for failing to post:

Pimple
Sha_Sha

QUALIFIERS

Angel Wrestler
Caty.
Chicklegirl
Chorister
Comet
CuppaT
Davelarge
Doublethink
East Price Road
Ephemera
Flags_Fiend
Fletcher Christian
Genevieve
Golden Key
Gwai
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Marvin the Martian
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Patdys
Quizmaster
Rugasaw
Rugmaker
Sharkshooter
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim
The Rogue

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND THREE : SAILORS

You must post the name of a sailor or seaman.

He must have completed his life's work - be dead.

You must also post the year that he (or she) died.

The person who posts the sailor who died closest to the median average year of death will be eliminated.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see we are continuing the water theme. i pick Andrew Cunningham, 1st Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope because he has a really long name!!

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Forgot to post he died in 1963

(note to self, answer questions when i'm awake, not half asleep.)

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
quote:

not sure why but this link isn't workig Comet, was looking forward to more river pictures.
hmm... still works for me. sorry!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Chief Boatswain's Mate Anthony Petit. While he was a lighthouse keeper, as a Coast Guardsman, he was also a sailor.

Petit died on April Fools Day, 1946, when a Tsunami destroyed Scotch Cap Lighthouse on Unimak Island. here's his picture. This is also Anthony Petit.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to go with Jonah, who may have died around 750 BCE.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose: Harry Pidgeon (1869 – 1954)

He was an American sailor, and was the second solo person to circumnavigate the world, after Joshua Slocum, and the first person to do so twice. On both trips, he sailed a 34-foot yawl named the Islander, which he build from plans he copied from a book in the local library. Pidgeon was somewhat unique in that his trips were not done as tests of his bravery, publicity stunts, or any other reason than merely seeing if he could succeed. Moreover, Pidgeon had no previous experience with ocean navigation, boat-building, or long-distance sailing.

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sailors... sailors ... hmmm. I think I'll have to go with Popeye, whose daily run lasted from 1919-1994.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick Captain Edward Teach, better know as Blackbeard , just because pirates are a lot more fun to read about than to actually meet! He died on November 22, 1718 as the result of 5 musketball wounds and over 20 sword lacerations recieved in pitch battle on the deck of his ship.

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

I pick Simon Peter.

He was a fisherman (of many kinds). [Biased]

And died in Rome, a LONG time ago (about 64 AD).

St. Peter

And I LIKE Peter. Anyone who can mess up as many times as he did in the Gospels and still end up on everyone's good side makes me smile.

[ 22. September 2008, 00:36: Message edited by: PataLeBon ]

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seaman (David) who "died" during the 2002 World Cup.

ij x [Biased]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erik the Red , who discovered Greenland, died in 1003.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I choose Captain Hendrik Van Der Decken also known as the Flying Dutchman. I think I can say he died(sort of well if you sail a ghost ship I think you can be classified as dead by association if nothing else). He died (well sort of but I still think we can consider him dead) in either 1641, 1680, or 1729. Well he probably died one of those dates. At any rate he definitely concluded his life work and I think he is now working on his after life work.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick Sir Francis Drake, famous Creamtealand sailor (although I don't think the Spanish liked him much), died c.1596 and was buried at sea, it is thought in a lead coffin. It is said that his drum will still sound whenever there is danger.

Capten, art tha sleepin' there below?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a picture of Jonah for Hart.

Scarey looking fish, but the Prophet does not seem very perturbed. He's repented for three days and has written his homily (which takes all of one half a verse).

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

My sailor is Sahure, credited with establishing the Eygptian navy. He died around 2475 BCE. Because of his foundational works, better ships for transporting heavy pyramid stones and such were able to be built in Queen Hatshepsut's era.

URL which I cannot get to link properly in the message, but is worth seeing anyway:

http://www.artsales.com/Ancient%20Ships/iHatshepsut'sExpedition.htm

--------------------
~Elder Sophrony

ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I would love to see this, but the link does not work. Chorister or WK, could either of you please tweak the code?

[ 22. September 2008, 06:30: Message edited by: ephemera ]

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anne Bonnie, pirate! She may have died in either 1721 or 1782, depending on which version of her life you accept. QM, if you want to average the dates together, use 1751.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose Sir Francis Chichester 1901-1972, the first person to sail single handed around the world by the clipper route, whatever that is.

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amendment to my selection: proper spelling is Anne Bonny.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
James Boag* Died 21st September 2008. Actually, I killed him myself.

Dead sailor/marine here explains my post.

*I can't actually check this link currently.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sailor is Erik the Red (950-1003), explorer and first PR boy for Greenland.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mochitsura Hashimoto died in 2000

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erik the Red has been chosen by Sharkshooter and East Price Road (Sharkshooter first).

I've had a fiddle with Comet's code and found a version which works for me - the picture opens in a separate window if you follow the instructions. (Which appeared when I deleted 'JPG' in the address bar and replaced it with 'jpg'. No idea why - but it worked!)

[ 23. September 2008, 21:12: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My choice is captain William Bligh , who having survived the mutiny went on to become one of the early governers of Australia.
He died in 1817 at the age of 63. He has always been someone who I thought interesting.

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
My sailor is Erik the Red (950-1003), explorer and first PR boy for Greenland.

Sharkshooter has already picked him.

There's a lovely list of sailors on this page, to help you pick another.

I select Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, who lost his life in the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805. He of "I see no ships" fame. To whom the column in Trafalgar Square is dedicated. And of whom a statue resides in the Bull Ring, Birmingham.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just out of interest, the median year of death posted so far (assuming all entries are accepted and using the average where more than one year of death is given in a single post) is 1811.

Which is exactly six years away from two entries - Nutmeg's and mine. If the subsequent posts are higher than this median Nutmeg is in trouble, and if they're lower I am.

Ooh, it's tense. I'm on the edge of my seat.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erik the Red as my face! Sorry - will be back later with an original choice.
Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
If the subsequent posts are higher than this median Nutmeg is in trouble, and if they're lower I am.

Ooh, it's tense. I'm on the edge of my seat.

And I get to feel guilty either way. Wonderful.

I'm going for Leif Erikson, died c.1020, explorer of various cold and icy bits of the North Atlantic and quite possibly the first European to land in North America. I'm picking him for the deeply profound reason that when I went on a wonderful holiday to Iceland in (IIRC) 1996 I stayed in a hotel opposite the statue shown in the top photo in the link.

Sorry, Marvin.

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Ach. With 11 people still to post the chances are I'll survive. In fact, if all of them post it's impossible for my answer to be nearest to the median.

After your post, the only way my answer can be the median is if equal numbers of people post years above and below it. Which would, of course, mean at least one person hadn't posted and thus I would be safe.

So I should really thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016