homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My #1 piece of furniture? BED = 1.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Furniture??

Chaise lounge = 117

Well, that's MY seat at home. [Biased]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For my piece of furniture I will post a DESK, something close to every ship mates heart and computer.

My score is also 1. [Big Grin]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My choice is SIDEBOARD, which makes a score of 67.
Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have decided to a go for a design classic, by Arne Jacobsen - to give it its full name, the 3141.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick a tree stump seat. Now let's see. I believe that would be 172.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick a Queen Anne Bonnet Top Highboy for a total of 281 points.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall take a coffee table (doesn't this one look nice?!), which scores 69 points.

So far (i.e. including my entry but no cross posts!), the mean is 434, which means that Geneviève needs some help.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose The Stone Of Destiny. (Fun read, BTW!)

Its number is 186.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I have decided to a go for a design classic, by Arne Jacobsen - to give it its full name, the 3141.

(Helpfully.)

Ah, but surely its full name should be this??? Though I pity poor Quizmaster, double-checking the math!
[Cool] [Biased]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
I shall take a coffee table (doesn't this one look nice?!), which scores 69 points.

So far (i.e. including my entry but no cross posts!), the mean is 434, which means that Geneviève needs some help.

The minute I posted I knew I was in trouble, because I had forgotten DT's entry. Oh, well. If I'm out, it has been fun.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seeing as I work with babies*... COT which is minus 2 [Big Grin]

*And today I can say I literally got cr*pped on [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a crib for 14 points.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I choose The Stone Of Destiny. (Fun read, BTW!)

Its number is 186.

You have posted a real fraud. Let me present you the real Stone of Destiny.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose a very ordinary SOFA, which is a total of 29.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Rugasaw--

Thank you for your helpfulness. FYI, the article to which I linked discusses the controversy.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:

Surely BED = 3?

B=2, E=5, D=4, 2+5-4=3

I pick BENCH for 4, as we've got two nice ones to go with our farmhouse table.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose couch for 8.

flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because the subject is on my mind after the discussion we've been having in Little Britain, I'm going for bookcase, scoring 41.

[ 25. September 2008, 09:25: Message edited by: Caty. ]

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My furniture, utilising the word in its printing sense is 'dead metal'. I kind of like this as it is similar to dead mental, which makes me feel at home, much like a nice piece of... well, furniture.

Count 62

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Continuing the water theme and trying to be clever I shall select the po.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Rugasaw--

Thank you for your helpfulness. FYI, the article to which I linked discusses the controversy.

Good, just s long as you know it wasn't the vampires it was the werewolves. But not all the werewolves just some.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll go for a HAT STAND

8+1-20+19+20+1+14+4=47.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I go for -
DAVENPORT DESK WITH A SECRET DRAWER, IN WALNUT.
Which I think, gives me 424.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:

Surely BED = 3?

B=2, E=5, D=4, 2+5-4=3

I pick BENCH for 4, as we've got two nice ones to go with our farmhouse table.

Ah, Great Gumby (and how very great you are!) many thanks for your quick eye. For some reason I had it in my mind that I had to subtract the second number instead of the third.

Whatever my other talents may be, my inability to figure out the right way to add such a basic equation is the very reason I ask you all to keep an eye on my math when I'm tabulating points.

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was a young man at University I got my first apartment. It was furnished with upturned crates, cement blocks with planks laid across the tops, used bean-bag chairs from the Goodwill, etc. My favorite item to sit on was a nice comfy BOX. Hmmm,.... let's see,...... carry the one,.....subtract the denominator,...... That puts me at minus nine

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I go for -
DAVENPORT DESK WITH A SECRET DRAWER, IN WALNUT.
Which I think, gives me 424.

Sings: "and your secret drawer's no secret...anymore".

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a music cabinet, which I believe is an 81.

Better than leaving the music in stacks around the house! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick Lectern which if my maths is right = 71

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Prie Dieu

16 + 18 + 5 + 4 + 9 + 5 + 21 - 9 = 69

We may need to visit one to stay in this round! [Votive]

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eliminated for failing to post:
Rugmaker

QUALIFIERS
Angel Wrestler
Caty.
Chicklegirl
Chorister
CuppaT
Davelarge
Doublethink
East Price Road
Flags_Fiend
Fletcher Christian
Genevieve
Golden Key
Hart
Icklejen
Jedijudy
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Patdys
Rugasaw
Surfing Madness
The Great Gumby
The Pilgrim

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND SIX : PREMIERSHIP

The Barclays Premiership of British Football is the subject for this round.

You must pick THREE teams and they cannot be the same combination as someone who has chosen before you.

This choice must be posted before 12:00 noon UK time on Saturday.

The person eliminated will be chosen as follows:
1) Lowest score of goals FOR all three teams
2) Highest score of goals AGAINST all three teams
3) Rule 1 then 2 for team 1, team 2 then team 3

My Also Ran Entry for this round is
ARSENAL
CHELSEA
LIVERPOOL

You must choose a different combination.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Everton
Manchester United
Newcastle

(no idea about football, so this is a lucky dip entry)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm, I know beggar all about this so ...

Chelsea
Stoke City
Hull City

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Middlesbro
Sunderland
Portsmouth

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aston Villa (there's one in Galveston)
Wigan Atheletic (sounds interesting...)
WBA (???)

Ok..I know more about football (soccer) in the US than anywhere else.. [Biased]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I choose

Aston Villa
Arsenal
Manchester City

--------------------

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

I choose:

Blackburn
West Ham
Chelsea

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Manchester City
Chelsea
Arsenal

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't even follow American football, so here goes a shot in the dark!

Newcastle
Liverpool
Everton

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking at the current records and knowing nothing else, I'll take:

Chelsea
Blackburn
Manchester City

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

OMG, I'm still in! Well, giddy with delight I shall peruse the teams and probably pick by color of the jerseys (do they show that?) because I know nothing at all about the subject!
We are off the water theme, huh?

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

I just picked the names I liked:

Chelsea
Everton
Wigan Athletic

Cahill's a cutie though.

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is no way I can apply any science to this game...

my three picks are therefore

1) Manchester City
2) Middlesbrough
3) Wigan Athletic

And lots of luck to all. I used this link , I don't know if it will help anyone else. Does this mean we have to wait till the weekend is over before we get the results? [Razz]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick

1. Arsenal
2. Tottenham Hotspur (How bad is Pompey's defence this season?!)
3. Manchester United

Here is a fixture list for this weekend, if anyone's interested.

[Edited for code]

[ 26. September 2008, 00:58: Message edited by: davelarge ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arsenal
Chelsea
Aston Villa

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A pure guess on my part.
Chelsea
West Brom
Arsenal

Chelsea is first because of icklejen! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

Since I know very little about British football, I'd best stick to the ABC's:

1) Arsenal
2) Blackburn
3) Chelsea

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) Arsenal
2) Hull
3) Chelsea.

Yes, I know Arsenal and Hull are playing each other. This is called hedging my bets. In a game where it doesn't matter a jot how well you do so long as you don't come last, I figure reducing your variance without reducing your expectation too much is always good and picking teams whose fortunes are negatively correlated achieves that.

Random financial fact: that's the same reason why picking a very variable stock can actually make your portfolio stabler, if it's negatively correlated with your other investments.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
I pick

1. Arsenal
2. Tottenham Hotspur (How bad is Pompey's defence this season?!)
3. Manchester United

Here is a fixture list for this weekend, if anyone's interested.

[Edited for code]

Are you going to be allowed back in the house after who you picked? Or rather who you didn't pick?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016