homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
( copied and slightly edited from the beginning of the 2007 thread)

As mentioned on the current thread, it is time to start thinking about people who you think might well, er.....DIE (basically) during 2008. You don't have to post your list yet, but if you do not post it before 11:59 on 31st December 2007 (GMT) you will be unable to take any further part in the contest. Have fun, Think carefully and read the rules below.

1. You must pick 13 well-known people (the definition of well-known is that their deaths will be reported by at least one major outlet. Examples: The Guardian, CNN, IMDB, CNNSI) whom you think will shuffle off this mortal coil in 2008. That is, starting from 00:01 am (GMT) on January 1st 2008

2. Points are awarded according to the following formula: the celebrity's age at the time of death subtracted from 100. For example, if the person you choose dies at the age of 67, you will earn 33 points.

3. You earn 50 bonus points if the death occurs in such a way as to clearly prove the existence of God (e.g., some doofus dies from burns after trying to torch a church or something).

4. You cannot choose anyone under the age of 18.

5. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed, but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. E.g., a shiv in the stomach counts, lethal injection does not.

6. You are disqualified if you contribute in any way to the death of one of your chosen candidates, with the exception of police officers and members of the armed services who kill someone in the line of duty.

7. All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 2359 GMT 31st December 2007. No entries will be accepted after this time. You may however make changes to your list any time before 2359 31st December 2007, but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year. (or you've put someone in twice)

There are also a couple of extraneous categories:

Inside Track with the Grim Reaper Award: person who picks the first death of 2008.

Quantity Not Quality Award: person who picks the most people who croak in 2008, regardless of their points value.

This is now the 5th time we have done this, and each time someone questions the merits of what we are doing. Please bear in mind:

* This is only a game
* These are not death "Wish Lists" - You choose who you think might die. It's not my fault if that is influenced by who you want to die.
* The Circus is the place for games, not discussion, so debating the right/wrong of what we are doing should be done somewhere else

Have fun, and remember to post your selection.

(those of you who are eagle-eyed about the times posted might wonder what happens to someone who dies exactly on the stroke of midnight between 2007 and 2008 - we'll cross that bridge should it actually happen, but for now, don;t worry about it)

Wet Kipper
Circus Host

[ 12. July 2016, 12:16: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Maggie Thatcher
2. Jimmy Carter
3. George Bush Snr
4. Tony Benn
5. Ian Paisley
6. Duke of Edinburgh
7. Mohammed Fayed
8. Prince Harry (wild card one but nice points)
9. Michael Heseltine
10.Norman Wisdom
11.+++Benedict
12.Tom Baker
13.Colin Baker

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find this whole idea very morbid and sick. Rule 6 is alarming - do we really attract that sort of person? And, with one or two exceptions, Matt's looks horribly like a wish-list!

I am so disgusted and sickened that I am really going to have to enter.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's mine:
1) Patrick Moore
2) Norman Wisdom
3) Ronnie Biggs
4) Michael Foot
5) Clive Dunn
6) Alexander Solzhenitsyn
7) Kirk Douglas
8) Nelson Mandela
9) Margaret Thatcher
10) Prince Phillip
11) Jerry Lewis
12) Mohammed Ali
13) Les Paul

Same as last year save for one who managed to die before the start.

So unless they go before 31st all these are guaranteed another year of life.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
And, with one or two exceptions, Matt's looks horribly like a wish-list!

If it really was, I'd have shoved in the likes of Robert Mugabe; sadly he looked pretty spry at Lisbon the other day so I reckoon he'll be good for at least another year.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got Mugabe on my list anyway Matt, which is the same as last year as all my lot survived.

1. Murdoch of Twisted News Corp

2. G W Bush, because the world deserves a break

3. L K Advani - Indian politician and promoter of hatred and communal violence

4. Thatcher, the truly appalling

5. John Howard of Australia, happily now out of office.

6. Jean Marie LePen, French politician and promoter of hatred and communal violence

7. Robert Mugabe, the ruination of Zimbabwe

8. Bal Thackeray - another promoter of hatred and communal violence in India, and admirer of Hitler

9. Pat Robertson - alleged Christian

10. Ian Paisley - another promoter of hatred and communal violence in Ireland this time

11. Thabo Mbeke whose belief that HIV is not causal of AIDS is holding back help and support to millions in his country

12. Gerry Adams - just to be fair

13. Philip Mountbatten, of Greece, Denmark and Britain.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A few with good point-potential and some I've had to check if they are, in fact, still living:

1. Pete Doherty - UK’s most famous drug addict
2. Amy Winehouse - troubled songstress and friend of above
3. Ian Huntley - child murderer and suicide risk
4. Robert Mugabe - because
5. Kate McCann - Holidaymaker and mother of UK’s most famous missing child
6. Gerry McCann - husband of above; nominee for Scot of the Year
7. Paul McCartney - elderly popster - showing the strain
8. Richard Branson - risk-taking rich man
9. Tom Cruise - short scientologist and film actor
10. Bob Dylan - musician; orange is not a healthy colour for humans
11. Lord George Robertson - politician; one-time Secretary General of NATO
12. Elizabeth Taylor - movie legend
13. Paul Michael Glaser - *Starsky*

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Most Moved Mover
Shipmate
# 11673

- Posted      Profile for Most Moved Mover     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Leonid Hurwicz (Nobel prize winning economist)
2. June Brown (Dot Cotton from Eastenders)
3. Russell Watson (Brain Tumour singer chap)
4. Britney Spears
5. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter - Wildcard)
6. The Pope
7. Margaret Thatcher
8. Jimmy Saville (of Jim'll Fix it fame)
9. Michael Parkinson
10.Peter Sallis (voice of Wallace of Wallace and Gromit)
11.Gordon Banks(world cup winning footballer)
12.Terry Prachett (if he's not letting on how bad the prognosis is)
13.Tony Benn

--------------------
www.HOPEHIV.org

Posts: 169 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Fidel Castro
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Nancy Reagan
4. Kirk Douglas
5. Ernest Borgnine
6. Lech Walesa
7. The Rev. Billy Graham, followed shortly by
8. George Beverly Shea, his #1 lead singer
9. Betty Ford
10. Michael Jackson
11. Elizabeth Taylor
12 & 13. Reba and Lori Schappell, oldest known living conjoined twins

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is so sick, evil and twisted. I am APPALLED, I tell you...

Here's my List:

1. Billy Graham
2. Robert Schuller
3. Margaret Thatcher
4. Barbara Bush
5. Betty Ford
6. Elizabeth Taylor
7. Doris Day
8. Betty White
9. Estelle Getty
10. Richard Dawson
11. Brigitte Bardot
12. Leonard Nimoy
13. Zsa Zsa Gabor

And, in the event that one of these doesn't make it to 2008, I will add William Shatner as an alternative. It's going to be a bad year for evangelists, former first ladies, and 1970's TV stars.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Noooooooo Jahlove, not my Paulie!!

Anyhoo, here's my list - almost the same as last year:

1 Petula Clark
2 Pete Docherty
3 James Dyson
4 P.D.James
5 Billie Jean King
6 Vera Lynn
7 Shane McGowan
8 Jim Marshall
9 Corin Redgrave
10 Phil Spector
11 Eric Sykes
12 Mohammed al Fayed
13 Marguerite Patten

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Courtney Love
2. Alex Trebek
3. Liz Taylor
4. Dick Clark
5. Kirk Douglas
6. Rev. Billy Graham
7. Elizabeth Edwards
8. Charlton Heston
9. Little Richard Penniman
10. Christopher Lee
11. Larry King
12. Walter Cronkite
13. Jerry Lewis

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
aside < you were soooo close last year, marmot, with your inspired choice of Anna Nicole - better luck this time>

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
aside < you were soooo close last year, marmot, with your inspired choice of Anna Nicole - better luck this time but Chrisopher Lee Can Never Die mwaaaahhhhhh>

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slightly adjusted from last years thread, I would like to grant the gift of life to the following this year:

1. Billy Graham
2. Margeret Thatcher
3. HM Queen Elizabeth II
4. Amy Winehouse
5. Duane "Dog" Chapman
6. Kate McCann
7. Rick Parfitt
8. Bernie Eccleston
9. Patrick Moore
10. Stephen Hawking
11. Pete Doherty
12. Terry Pratchett
13. Jimmy Saville

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 Robert Mugabe (wouldn't shed any tears)
2 Billy Graham (would shed a few tears, but he's not a well man, and points means prizes)
3 Rod Stewart (look at the state of him - I think he's been dead for years, we just haven't been told)
4 Robert Kilroy Silk (that much right-wing bile can't be good for your health)
5 Michael Heseltine (because he's old and haven't heard from him in a while)
6 Jimmy Saville (see 5)
7 Hamid Karzai (because President of Afghanistan is a dangerous job)
8 Margaret Thatcher (not enough women on my list and don't think the Queen's likely to die - her mother lived to be 100 after all)
9 Michael Jackson (for obvious reasons, surely - and he's young enough to be worth lots of points)
10 Charles Aznavour (really really old and quite frail-looking French singer)
11 Ariel Sharon (had to check he was still alive - which he is only just)
12 Elizabeth Taylor (just because)
13 Peter Stringfellow (see 3)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And after a relatively successful 2007, here is my offering for 2008 [Smile]

1.Russell Watson (that brain tumour has reappeared [Tear] )
2.Lesley Phillips (the voice of the Sorting Hat in the Harry Potter films and very old)
3.Amy Winehouse (a car-crash in progess)
4.Nelson Mandela (getting on a bit)
5.Ariel Sharon (half dead already)
6.Norman Wisdom (old)
7.Billy Graham (another old geezer)
8.Nancy Reagan (old)
9.Muhammad Ali (surely he has to go soon)
10.Pete Doherty (allegedly off the drugs, but as far as I am concerned it could go tits-up at any minute)
11.Robert Mugabe (because my Zimbabwean work colleage has insisted I have him on my list!)
12.George Bush Snr (old, old,old)
13. Maggie Thatcher (surely)

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recycling in its entirety my last year's list, still on the premise that the death of a young celebrity will net me massive points even though there's far less chance of one of them dying:

1. Paris Hilton
2. Lindsay Lohan
3. Jessica Simpson
4. Nick Lachey
5. Mary-Kate Olsen
6. Ashley Olsen
7. Nicole Ritchie
8. Brad Pitt
9. Angelina Jolie
10. Jennifer Aniston
11. Vince Vaughan
12. Owen Wilson
13. Orlando Bloom

I still feel bad about #12 though. But not (yet) bad enough to replace him.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be honest, this could double as my Christmas wish list. I'm a sick woman.

and this is my favorite Circus game.

1. Robert Mugabe

2. Billy Graham

3. Frank Murkowski former gov of Alaska. Slimy slimy slimy

4. Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens not much for points but the little twerp can’t keep earmarking forever.

5. Alaska's Congressional Representative Don Young because God loves me and wants me to be happy

6. Mary Kate Olsen just looks likelyish for points.

7. Lindsay Lohan same deal.

8. Dick Cheney

9. Karl Rove I'd mourn him almost as much as number 5.

10. Pervez Musharraf so many people want him dead, I figure each morning he wakes up is a blessing at this stage of the game.

11. Qatar Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani his health is for shit.

12. Keith Richards okay, he's not on the wish list. but the Stones need to start kicking the bucket soon - odds are. and Keith just strikes me as the least likely to win the longevity bonus

13. GW Bush because I wish it to be true so so so much. And Jiminy Cricket says that works. *crosses fingers*

Good luck everyone!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I didn't have such a dark sense of humor I would never do this. But, since i DO, I WILL.

1. Dick Cheney
2. Britney Spears
3. Ted Kennedy
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Osama Bin Laden
6. Keith Richards
7. Mick Jagger
8. Pervez Musharraf
9. Benazir Bhutto
10. Barack Obama
11. Fidel Castro
12. Muhammad Ali
13. Elizabeth Taylor

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My goodness, my list candidates two years running seem to stick around, so I guess I'll modify a bit.

Well I sucked so bad last year, might as well repeat it. These farts have got to die soon.

1. Margaret Thatcher
2. Fidel Castro
3. Chuck Yeager
4. Joseph Ratzinger
5. Osama Bin Laden
6. Dickhead Cheney
7. Billy Graham
8. Mikhail Gorbachev
9. Liz Taylor
10. Pat Robertson
11. Charlton Heston
12. Nelson Mandela
13. Mohammed Ali

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey - I've just realised how little attention I pay to life. I spent all of last night wrestling to get 13 names I thought even vaguely likely to buy the farm. I'd read the newspapers more, but they're so depressingly full of bile.

Anyway, here's my sick selection.

1. Mugabe Do we really need to justify this (although the mess when he does go may well be worse...)
2. Steve McLaren (my long shot)(actually, that phrase could be misinterpreted! It's not hinting at an offence under rule 6!)
3. Hamed Karzai
4. Benazir Bhutto
5. Stephen Hawking
6. Geoff Boycott (to paraphrase Richie Benaud, on GB's comment that test matches were boring "Who made them boring?")
7. Mohammed Ali
8. Norman Tebbit
9. Bernard Cribbins
10. Kirk Douglas
11. Russell Watson
12. Peter Sallis
13. Robert Hardy (a sad loss to the world of the longbow when he goes)

Hoping that this leads to a healthy 2008 for
most of my selection.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sioni's list for 2008. We lost George Melly last year but I have made a few more changes in the worst possible taste.

1 Ian Paisley
2 Lady Margaret Thatcher
3 Richie Benaud
4 Denis Healey
5 George W Bush
6 Dick Cheney
7 Marcus Trescothick
8 Amy Winehouse
9 Keith Richards
10 Humphrey Lyttleton
11 Pete Doherty
12 Liz Taylor
13 Michael Jackson

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Earl Pulvermacher (aka Pius XIII) b. 1918
2. George H, Bush (Satan)
3. James Earl Carter
4. George W. Bush (Spawn of Satan)
5. Trent Frayne
6. H.R.H The Prince Philip (just because)
7. Barbara Amiel (Lady Black on her 4th husband)
8. Knowlton Nash (CBC News Presenter)
9. Margaret Hilda, Baroness Thatcher (the Bloody Baron)
10. Clifford Olson (May he get his wish and be released into the general Prison population)
11. Stephen Hawking (well he’s a medical miracle, he’s gotta go sometime!)
12The Lord Black (né Connie Black)
13. The Earl of Harewood (the Queen’s eldest cousin on her father’s side)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
So here's mine for 2008, after a fairly spectacularly unsuccessful 2007:
1. Ayman al-Zawahiri – 2IC of al-Qa’eda
2. Hamid Karzai – president of Afghanistan is a dangerous gig
3. Joseph Kabila – so is being Congolese president
4. Billy Graham – old
5. E. Gough Whitlam – also old
6. Baroness Thatcher of Mordor and Mirkwood – see above
7. Keith Richards – the next coconut tree could do it
8. Alfredo Reinhado – Timorese rebel; if talks fail could decide to go out in a blaze of glory
9. Noordin Mohammed Top – Bali bombings mastermind – because we’ve got to get him some time
10. Kate Moss – being THAT thin and drug-addled can’t be healthy
11. Charlton Heston – thought he was dead already
12. Ariel Sharon – ditto
13. Arthur C Clarke – see above

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Can we have a separate baker's dozen called "I can't believe they're not dead yet"? Wouldn't get many points, I suppose.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, here's my selection:

1 - Billy Graham
2 - Ringo Starr (I've just got a sneaking feeling that McCartney is going to be the last Beatle)
3 - Tony Hart
4 - Margaret Thatcher
5 - Prince Philip
6 - Fran Cotton
7 - Charlie Watts (I agree with the comment above that the Stones have got to start going soon, but Keith is just lucky enough to go on cheating the reaper)
8 - Cliff Richard
9 - Richard Briers
10 - John Bardon
11 - Betty Driver
12 - Peter Sallis
13 - Niki Lauda

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the shipmate who is currently running away with the 2007 competition, here is some advice for anyone wanting to seriously compete in 2008:

1) Age is no guarantee of death. Someone in their 90s but with no apparent major health problems can keep going for years and will earn you few points.

2) Pick your team late. If you have a strong candidate, make sure they are still in the running come 2008. One year I was just about to put Richard Pryor on my list when he died in early December.

3) It pays to do research. Google news sites late in December for celebs on the slide. The standard terminology in journalism surrounding death is fascinating. Two clues:
(i) if someone has been described as being "at death's door" then they are actually making a recovery and should not be on your list.
(ii) if someone is described with the less sensationalist term of "seriously ill" then the odds are they will be gone in a week, maybe even the next day (hence they importance of doing your research late).

4) Don't go for people you wish were dead, they will stay alive just to annoy you.

5) If you want to get good points, look for people who live life in the fast lane. Rock stars often die in their 60s, so include a few ageing hellraisers whose past is catching up with them.

6) The term celebrity in this competition is very broad. Some bloke who played bass guitar in a band 30 years ago will probably qualify. So select your team on their ill health, rather than their fame.

7) If you are really competitive and have no conscience, the top tip is to find a few people with terminal cancer, particularly of the liver or pancreas. Even those in remission (e.g. Pavarotti) don't have much of a chance. This tip is only if you are deperate to win and don't mind being called a sicko.

Right, there's my advice. I hope you enjoy the festive break scouring the net for minor celebrities who are seriously ill with pancreatic cancer. I wouldn't advise doing it, but if you are happy to enter this game then you may as well do it thoroughly.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well this is where my usual kiss of death works in reverse and should gaurantee another 12 months of happy rude health for the nominated below.

1. George Shea. - He is 98 and got to go sometime.
2. Patty Andrews - The last surviving Andrews sister
3. Charlie Watts. A rolling stone about to gather moss?
4. Maggie T. No list would be complete without her.
5. Jack T.Chick. No comment.
6. Lena Horne She is 90 ....90!
7. Roman Polinski I have an idea he wasnt looking well
8. Roger Moore.
9. Harry Morgan from M.A.S.H.
10.Christopher Lee.
11.Bridget Bardot.
12.Cyd Charisse.
13.Elizabeth Taylor... of course.

Same time next year... Same list??

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here goes

Russell Watson
Alan Greenspan
P. D. James
Sir Patrick Moore
Buzz Aldrin
Dave Swarbrick
Maggie Thatcher (If I leave her off this time she'll die to spite me)
Barack Obama
Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed (president of Somalia)
Michael Gambon
John Forster "Sandy" Woodward
Tom Watson
Prince Harry

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
12. Keith Richards okay, he's not on the wish list. but the Stones need to start kicking the bucket soon - odds are. and Keith just strikes me as the least likely to win the longevity bonus

Oh c'mon, the guy fell out of a coconut tree age 63 and survived! He's pickled, smoked, laid out and dried in the sun, he'll be around when aforementioned stellar object goes red giant and engulfs us all

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Lady Thatcher
2. Fidel Castro
3. Robert Mugabe
4. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
5. George Bush senior
6. Sir Norman Wisdom
7. Dame Elizabeth Taylor
8. Ian Huntley
9. Mohammed Fayed
10. Ian Paisley
11. Eric Sykes
12. Leslie Phillips
13. The Pope

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall re-use my listed originally started in the 2006 game, and all still going strong.
1. Buzz Aldrin
2. Ursula Andress
3. Bernie Ecclestone
4. Peter Falk (Columbo)
5. Lou Ferrigno (the original TV Hulk)
6. Aretha Franklin
7. Robert Downey Jr.
8. Shane McGowan (Pogues bloke)
9. Gary Numan (80's synth-pop)
10. David Vine (Ski Sunday commentator)
11. Delia Smith
12. Adam West (original TV Batman)
13. Roy Wood (from Wizzard - wish it could be Christmas every day)

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fear this goes against my fluffy bunny status, but I can't resist. Here goes ...

1. Nina Bawden
2. Ursula le Guin
3. Nancy Reagan
4. John Prescott (Labour politician)
5. Kerry Katona (or whatever her surname is these days)
6. David Hasselhoff
7. Britney Spears
8. Lisa Minelli
9. Zsa Zsa Gabor
10. Brian Blessed
11. Bruce Forsyth
12. Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden of Coronation Street)
13. Paul O'Grady (talk show host)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's my recycled 2007 list, with Boris Yeltsin duly replaced. If, by some unlikely chance, I score more points between now and New Year's Eve, I'll be sure to update this list.

1. HM Mohammed Zahir Shah, titular King of Afghanistan
2. Lt Gen Dr Mikhail Timofeevich Kalashnikov, gun and vodka magnate, Hero of Socialist Labour and Knight of St Andrew
3. Margaret Hilda Thatcher, the Rt Hon the Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven LG, OM, PC, FRS
4. The Rt Revd and Hon Dr Ian R K Paisley
5. Robert Gabriel Mugabe KCB, President of Zimbabwe
6. Archduke Franz Joseph Otto Robert Maria Anton Karl Max Heinrich Sixtus Xaver Felix Renatus Ludwig Gaetan Pius Ignatius of Austria, aka Otto von Habsburg
7. Boris Abramovich Berezovsky aka Platon Elenin
8. Paul Francis Gadd, aka Gary Glitter
9. Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz, President of Cuba
10. Fred Waldron Phelps Sr
11. Marie-Christine Anna Agnes Hedwig Ida Windsor née von Reibnitz, HRH Princess Michael of Kent
12. HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy DCVO
13. The Most Reverend Peter Jasper Akinola

One of them once slapped one of the others in the face. My personal hope is that the one who got slapped goes first.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The 2007 list rides again!

1/ Charles Windsor
2/ Fidel Castro
3/ Robert Mugabe
4/ Jimmy Carter
5/ Margaret Thatcher
6/ Joseph Ratzinger
7/ Will Self
8/ Richard Dawkins
9/ Gene Robinson
10/ Dennis Healey
11/ Muhammed Ali
12/ Geoff Hurst
13/ Ariel Sharon

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seeing as my 2007 list seemed guaranteed to keep them in excellent health, I'm tempted to list the Chelsea first team so they can avoid all injuries in 2008!

My real list...

1. Boutros Boutros-Ghali
2. Ian Brady
3. Ian Huntley
4. Dick Cheney
5. Michael J. Fox
6. Sharon Osbourne
7. Bobby Charlton
8. Tarja Halonen
9. Stephen Hawking
10. Gerard Houllier
11. Tony Benn
12. Mary-Kate Olsen
13. Michael Foot

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well as all mine survived the year I'm going to keep them as they must die one day.

1. Paul O'Grady
2. Pete Docherty
3. Jimmy Tarbuck
4. Kirk Douglas
5. Prince Philip
6. Maggie Thatcher
7. Fidel Castro
8. Nicole Richie
9. Mohammed Ali
10. Michael Barrymore
11. Iain Paisley
12. Michael Jackson
13. Patrick Moore

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
Here's my recycled 2007 list, with Boris Yeltsin duly replaced. If, by some unlikely chance, I score more points between now and New Year's Eve, I'll be sure to update this list.

2. Lt Gen Dr Mikhail Timofeevich Kalashnikov, gun and vodka magnate, Hero of Socialist Labour and Knight of St Andrew
3. Margaret Hilda Thatcher, the Rt Hon the Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven LG, OM, PC, FRS
6. Archduke Franz Joseph Otto Robert Maria Anton Karl Max Heinrich Sixtus Xaver Felix Renatus Ludwig Gaetan Pius Ignatius of Austria, aka Otto von Habsburg
11. Marie-Christine Anna Agnes Hedwig Ida Windsor née von Reibnitz, HRH Princess Michael of Kent

One of them once slapped one of the others in the face. My personal hope is that the one who got slapped goes first.

T.

H M Mohammed Zahir Shah died on July 23.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Zahir_Shah

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by agrgurich:
quote:

H M Mohammed Zahir Shah died on July 23.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Zahir_Shah

Well spotted. I choose David Eddings, the fantasy novelist, to replace him.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

T.

There seems to be another game here - who slapped who!

I'll guess Ian Paisley slapped Maggie.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like to play. Here's my list:

1 Fidel Castro
2 Billy Graham
3 Kirk Douglas
4 Betty Ford
5 Oral Roberts
6 Karl Malden
7 Jerry Lewis
8 Muhammad Ali
9 Margaret Thatcher
10 Mickey Rooney
11 Charlton Heston
12 Elizabeth Taylor
13 Nelson Mandela

I didn't do a lot of research. I hope none of them are already deceased.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slightly adjusted from last year:

1. Arial Sharon
2. Margaret Thatcher
3. Suge Knight
4. Roger Ebert
5. Farrah Fawcett
6. Benazir Bhutto
7. Billy Graham
8. Fidel Castro
9. Hamid Karzai
10. Jalal Talabani
11. Mohammed Ali
12. Stephen Hawking
13. Max von Sydow

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just heard on the wireless that Oscar Peterson died, which reminded me I'd better get on board here.

I am copying last year's list wholesale:

1. Billy Graham
2. Ray Bradbury
3. Avery Cardinal Dulles
4. Nelson Mandela
5. The Duke of Edinburgh
6. Ariel Sharon
7. Henry Morgentaler
8. Ian Paisley (Sr.)
9. Nancy Reagan
10. Courtney Love
11. Dave Brubeck
12. "50 Cent"
13. Angela Lansbury

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Dick Cheney
2. Michael Schumacher's father
3. Keith Richard
4. Bill Wyman
5. George Herbert Walker Bush
6. Barbara Bush the elder (Isn't she about 20 years older than her husband?)
7. Dame Joan Plowright
8. Dame Shirley Bassey
9. Mort Walker, cartoonist
10. Johnny Hart, cartoonist
11. Mohammed Ali
12. Michael J Fox
13. Bill O'Reilly

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last year I lost two to the Grim Reaper. A couple from last year I am reconsidering, as they are 1) disgustingly healthy and have insurance, and 2) are so old they won't provide many points. (Nancy Reagan is like, 98.) So I hereby confer the gift of immortality in 2008 to the following:
  • Pat Robertson - The blight on Virginia Beach
  • Billy Graham - He's ready to go join his beloved Ruth [Votive]
  • Stephen Hawking - He can't go on forever, can he? Or is he part Borg?
  • Muhammed Ali - The years in the ring are catching up with him.
  • Fidel Castro - Not seen in public for six months [Paranoid]
  • Britney Spears - Young wild card, bunches of points if she goes.
  • Michael J. Fox - Not too old (points) with advanced Parkinsons disease.
  • Terry Pratchett - Not a wish, but that's how the game is played.
  • Dick Clark - There can't be that many New Year's Rockin' Eves left in him.
  • Elizabeth Taylor - Held together by spackle and bailing twine.
  • Michael Jackson - Where but in America can a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white woman?
  • Elizabeth Edwards - Wife of Democratic candidate John Edwards, breast cancer, again.
  • Ariel Sharon - Someone just pull the plug already!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Ariel Sharon - Someone just pull the plug already!

I am convinced that they have not done so purely to spite me.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

<snip>
13. The Pope

If BXVI dies, and so does his successor, do you get to score twice?

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
My list for 2008:

1. Martin Milner
2. Richard Petty
3. George McGovern
4. Daryl Hall
5. P.J. O'Rourke
6. Jerry Lee Lewis
7. Eartha Kitt
8. Jesse Helms (notorious former NC Senator)
9. Dave Brubeck
10. Cliff Barrows
11. Neil Simon
12. Tony Bill
13. Soupy Sales

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I have to re-do my list as I had Benazir Buhutto coming in at number 9 next year. Can't say that I'm surprized that it happened so soon. What was she thinking going back to that horrid political environment. I shall replace her name with that of Robert Mugabe. List now reads:

1. Dick Cheney
2. Britney Spears
3. Ted Kennedy
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Osama Bin Laden
6. Keith Richards
7. Mick Jagger
8. Pervez Musharraf
9. Robert Mugabe
10. Barack Obama
11. Fidel Castro
12. Muhammad Ali
13. Eizabeth Taylor

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016