homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Mary the M
Shipmate
# 13167

- Posted      Profile for Mary the M   Email Mary the M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh, I had Arthur C Clarke. [Votive]
Kinda glad he only got me 10 points. I really enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey.

--------------------
"God is greater than religion... Faith is greater than doctrine." - Rabbi Heschel

Posts: 173 | From: Lost Angels, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cusanus had Clarke, too.

The last of the Grand old Men of SF, I think.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bummer.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
True.
But another ten points.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ivan Dixon of the TV show Hogan's Heroes.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Paul Scofield has died. Others had longer careers but I doubt many have been at or close to the top for as long.

14 points for any who had selected him.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Richard Widmark has gone to the Great Green Room in the sky.

Only seven points? I would have thought he was a few years younger. Maybe that is because he has been off the radar for so long.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Abby Mann died on March 25th. He was 80. Listed among his writing credits is Ship of Fools. [Votive]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Ivan Dixon of the TV show Hogan's Heroes.

[Frown] I loved Hogan's Heroes

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
Abby Mann died on March 25th. He was 80. Listed among his writing credits is Ship of Fools. [Votive]

The movie, yes. But Katherine Ann Porter wrote the book.

I think Abby Mann was better known for the Kojak TV series.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I meant "screen-writing credits" (re-re-re-read anything before posting!).

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Mary the M
Shipmate
# 13167

- Posted      Profile for Mary the M   Email Mary the M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anybody have Charlton Heston ? He was 83.

--------------------
"God is greater than religion... Faith is greater than doctrine." - Rabbi Heschel

Posts: 173 | From: Lost Angels, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary the M:

at least Mad Geo, Grits, Mamacita, and Amazing Grace. maybe more, I just skimmed basso's leaderboard.

not me, alas.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary the M:

at least Mad Geo, Grits, Mamacita, and Amazing Grace. maybe more, I just skimmed basso's leaderboard.

not me, alas.

That'll be sixteen for me.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also Cusanus, who extends his lead.
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, that a few points that makes me sad though. He was a great man.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think this is the first one off my list in two years.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
someone can get a hold of his guns now [Biased]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

WK, you could try it, but give us a chance to put you on our lists for the next death poll first, okay? [Razz]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ivan Dixon link doesn't work. I do remember him: did he die of old age? i can't think he was pushing 80, but he could have been 40 in HH…

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Sir Kevin, here is another posting about Ivan Dixon. He was 76. No guarantees how long the link will work, as it has been three weeks since the good man's passing.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

As they say, there's nothing more stale than yesterday's news.

--------------------

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Just saw this: Stanley Kamel, at age 65.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the good link, Joyeux. I knew he'd become a TV director, but not which programs.

I guess all my selections to date have been wrong, but the year is still young.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh and...from the OP...

I saw that we get points if the method of death proves the existence of God. But do we get any points if we predict the method of the death? i.e. predicting a car accident?

Of course this isn't something we would really want to happen-we don't want people to die. But I have seen death pools where extra points were given for various random predictions.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

I think not. The rules is the rules.

Since nobody predicted a manner of death, it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Ollie Johnston, at age 95. [Waterworks]
He was the last of Walt Disney's (the man, not the entertainment industry) "Nine Old Men."

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

John Archibald Wheeler, who invented (or maybe popularized) the term 'black hole', at 96. Nobody had him, but he's worth noting anyway.

There's a good tribute here.

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Krister Stendahl.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Danny Federici.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Warren E. Avis, founder of the rent-a-car chain.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Humphrey Lyttelton

[Waterworks]

I loved his humor so so so much.

and I dont think I had him this year, but chose him a few years ago. figures.

still... [Tear]

(17 points if anyone had him)

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

looks like points for Sioni Sais and Dormouse.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:

The BBC is saying that he was 86, so I've added 14 points for those two.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

heh.

[Hot and Hormonal]

did I ever tell you about that F in math...?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:

The BBC is saying that he was 86, so I've added 14 points for those two.
There are others for whom I would rather have picked up points. Maybe I should select more ageing jazzmen (I nominated George Melly last year)- many will treat it as the ultimate joke.

Humph shares with Acker Bilk the distinction of a British jazzmen taking their own compositions to #1 in the chart, but while "Bad Penny Blues" is jazz I'm not sure about "Stranger on the Shore".

He was also a cartoonist, calligrapher, oh read it yourself; it's everywhere. God Bless Humph.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
heh.

[Hot and Hormonal]

did I ever tell you about that F in math...?

[Big Grin] I thought of that, but decided that the Beeb had probably corrected their story. (I'd stick with that one if I were you...)
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I really should keep up - I was just wondering if anyone had him on their list... D'oh!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RIP Humph. Thought I had him on my list, I must have been mistaken.
Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
quote:

I really should keep up - I was just wondering if anyone had him on their list... D'oh!
This way we know you aren't eagerly watching your list and hoping for deaths. [Razz]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Albert Hoffman has died.

Sad news for his family but also for anyone who nominated him. He was 102.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Albert Hoffman has died.

I though of Uriel when I heard that news, but he wasn't on U's list.
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But at the age of 102, he was worth -2 points. [Paranoid]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Julie Ege, star of British "Sex Comedies" and Hammer Horrors films of the early seventies has died, age 64. When I was 14 she was sex on legs.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Irvine Robbins - one of the founders of USA ice cream chain Baskins-Robbins. He was 90.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't suppose anyone had Robert Rauschenberg? [Votive]
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
I don't suppose anyone had Robert Rauschenberg? [Votive]

Oh, pooh. I should have posted that! He lived, like an hour away from me. He used to come into the fabric store where I w*rked and got the weirdest stuff to make into Art™.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Albert Hoffman has died.

I though of Uriel when I heard that news, but he wasn't on U's list.
Only 102! A mere youngster. Would never make it onto my list - a mere babe!
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Ted Kennedy had a stroke.

OK, he's not dead YET, but I REALLY don't like the guy.

[Devil]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
Ted Kennedy had a stroke.

OK, he's not dead YET, but I REALLY don't like the guy.

[Devil]

I get the idea you don't like him but are you sure that's the right link?

This is from the BBC

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016