homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn, it was just a seizure.

On the other hand, the (accidental) link I provided actually did sum up my sentiments at the time in a picture!

[Killing me]

Excuse me, I'm crying I'm laughing so hard now.....

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ted Kennedy isn't human, he's a cyborg. He's been so accident-prone (a plane crash?) that anyone else would have been gone a long time ago. But then again, all that alcohol probably has him pickled and preserved pretty well....

Wiki article

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:

It's a brain tumour.

Jerk. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Blessed Pangolin
Shipmate
# 13623

- Posted      Profile for The Blessed Pangolin   Email The Blessed Pangolin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
True story.... some years ago, there had been a spate of celebrity passings. I was in my local, chatting with the owner, and he started joking about starting a death pool. I thought it was amusing, in a morbid sort of way. The idea took off like a rocket, but I felt that there was some bad juju about this. It was very popular, and the pool was getting pretty rich. It was won by one of the popular regulars, an old newspaper man (ironically, who wrote obituaries at one point in his career), who chose Robert Stanfield (leader of the Progressive Conservatives in Canada in the 1970s). Unfortunately, he had a stroke about a month or two after he won the pool, and was never quite whole after that. He succumbed to cancer last autumn. Bad juju, indeed.
Posts: 460 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How did Bob Stanfield pass on - underwear too tight? [Biased]
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:

It's a brain tumour.

Jerk. [Big Grin] [Razz]

15 months, baby. [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Admit it, MadgeO, your gonna miss him when he's gone.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Margot Boyd (Marjorie Antrobus in "The Archers") has died, aged 94.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dick Martin from Rowen & Martin's Laugh In died, he was 86.

Anyone have him on their list?

QM

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
U. Utah Phillips, Golden Voice of the Great Southwest. [Votive]
One of a kind.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sidney Pollack is dead at age 73. I have an urge to go rent "Tootsie" and watch that hilarious scene in the booth at the Russian Tea Room.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beryl Cook, painter of jolly large ladies (punctuate that as you will), will paint no more.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Fashionista

--------------------

the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comedian Harvey Korman is gone. I loved him in the Carrol Burnett show, and all those silly comedy movies like Blazing Saddles.

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"That's Hedley!"

Korman was a brilliant comic actor, and he will be missed.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He was quite the Man.

Rats.

Bo Diddley died today. 21 points if anyone had him.

my favorite quote from the obit: ''A dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machine gun.''

I have no idea what it means, but I love it.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Bo No Mo.

--------------------

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jim McKay, host of Wide World of Sports and for the Olympics for many years, died over the weekend. He was a true class act.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my selections is still going strong. I hope his inclusion on my list adds to his longevity.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the pilgrim:
Comedian Harvey Korman is gone. I loved him in the Carrol Burnett show, and all those silly comedy movies like Blazing Saddles.

[Waterworks]
We were just discussing him recently on the movie quotes thread!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

The great journalist Tim Russert has died of a heart attack this afternoon at the age of just 58. He collapsed in his office at NBC news.

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Damn, you beat me by 8 minutes or so!

58. Wow.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RIP [Votive]

He's going to be sorely missed, especially during the rest of the campaign season.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cyd Charisse, at 87.

13 points for footdoc and RuthW.

(edited duff link)

[ 19. June 2008, 19:41: Message edited by: Chorister ]

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
I feel quite guilty about it all, but I had Jane McGrath on my list. 58 points.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
George Carlin. [Tear]

29 points if anyone had him.

He was great.

(and it's good to see you aboard again, LATA. missed you.)

[ 23. June 2008, 06:53: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Damn. We saw his last tour and he was sure dark humor after the passing of his wife. I wonder if he wasn't glad to go.....

bummer though.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I have to agree with MadGeo. Carlin had seemed to be a very angry, bitter man for the last several years. Still a genius though.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

This quote of Carlin's (thanks, Gort) sheds some light on my last comment:
quote:
"Inside every cynical person is a disappointed idealist."
More discussion of George Carlin over in
All Saints.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Anyone get 14 points for Jesse Helms?
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett:
My list for 2008:

8. Jesse Helms (notorious former NC Senator)

Yes, I did! Finally! He's been on my list every year. [Roll Eyes]

I'll gladly take those 14 points.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
BBC News Obituary: Jesse Helms

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Step away from the ship for a day and poof! - somebody on the deathpool list dies. [1]

I think Scarlet was the only one who had Jesse.

[1] I'm now taking bribes to be missing more frequently. (The line forms on the right.)

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anybody done a mid year summary? I think I am 0-13 so far. [Frown]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

The scorecard is here.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Tony Snow has finally succumbed to colon cancer at age 53. (Former Bush White House Press Secretary and prior to that a commentator at Fox News.)

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Tony Snow has finally succumbed to colon cancer at age 53. (Former Bush White House Press Secretary and prior to that a commentator at Fox News.)

I blame myself. He almost made my list, but I cut him at the last minute. If he had been on my list he would still be alive and healthy.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Estelle Getty at the age of 84. [Votive]

16 points--and the first one from my list. I guess I'm not the Kiss of Life after all.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations on your points! [Frown]

I liked Golden Girls and watched it with captions well into syndication, Never needed captions for Sophia though, she came through clear as a bell.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Step away from the ship for a day and poof! - somebody on the deathpool list dies.

I'm now taking bribes to be missing more frequently. (The line forms on the right.)

It happened again - I was afk again yesterday and another one bit the dust...
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm betting if you go again, that Blessed Margaret of Thatcher will pop her clogs. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jo Stafford, big band and popular singer of the forties and fifties, has died aged 90.

I don't think anyone had nominated her, but it's well worth remembering a voice like that.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I'm betting if you go again, that Blessed Margaret of Thatcher will pop her clogs. [Votive]

Betting? Or hoping? [Snigger]

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As previously, inclusion in my list has guaranteed another year of perfect health.

Places will be available for purchase later in the year.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

quote:
Originally posted by Petrified:
As previously, inclusion in my list has guaranteed another year of perfect health.

Places will be available for purchase later in the year.

Well, I had thought the same. The year isn't over yet--and the one who gave me points is one I will miss.

I think the real money would want to pay to stay OFF Cusanus' list...

--------------------

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RIP Randy Pausch of the Last Lecture.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

She's not dead yet, but I wish I had her on my list.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think you'll find debauched young celebrities are my speciality, although I always seem to miss the one who actually dies.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
quote:

I think you'll find debauched young celebrities are my speciality, although I always seem to miss the one who actually dies.
Trudy, it's like shooting into a flock of starlings. You're going to hit something, but it won't be the starling you aimed at.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shes on my list. But then I would feel ill having eaten a KFC.

[Projectile]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016