homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rubs hands together briskly.....

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The great thing about that story ( here on the BBC was the question she was apparently asked "Do I look like I'm dying?" In this picture, the answer is yes.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Liz Taylor is a dame?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She's probably not going to change the standings much--so many of us have her on our lists.

"Do I look like I'm dying?" is one of those questions that shouldn't be asked--like "How old do you THINK I am?"

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Liz Taylor is a dame?

Yup, DBE (Dame of the Order of the British Empire), awarded 1999 according to Wikipedia.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Liz Taylor is a dame?

Yup, DBE (Dame of the Order of the British Empire), awarded 1999 according to Wikipedia.
I think it is only an honorary title as she is currently a US citizen, albeit British born.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Liz Taylor is a dame?

You thought she was a man? [Big Grin]

British honours can be awarded to anyone, but you have to be a British citizen to use the title ( but not the letters ).

So she is Liz Taylor, DBE, but she is not Dame Liz Taylor. Wheras Evelyn Glennie* is both Evelyn Glennie DBE and Dame Evelyn Glennie.

*First sensible hit with Google on Dame.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alas!!

The world is the worse for his loss. God keep him.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
British honours can be awarded to anyone, but you have to be a British citizen to use the title ( but not the letters ).

So that's the Mail's flub then.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Alas!!

The world is the worse for his loss. God keep him.

I'm afraid I didn't realize he was still alive...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
She's probably not going to change the standings much--so many of us have her on our lists.

Hey, I'd still be happy to get on the board this year, just to prove my choice of Anna Nicole wasn't a fluke.

Love Liz's publicists comment: "...At present, she is surrounded by family, friends and fabulous jewels."

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bernie Mac. RIP.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Liz Taylor is a dame?

You thought she was a man? [Big Grin]

So she is Liz Taylor, DBE, but she is not Dame Liz Taylor. Wheras Evelyn Glennie* is both Evelyn Glennie DBE and Dame Evelyn Glennie.

*First sensible hit with Google on Dame.

This just in: Evelyn Glennie RULES!!!!!!!! She rules, I tell you!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Ivan Dixon of the TV show Hogan's Heroes.

[Frown] I loved Hogan's Heroes
Are you serious? That wretched show? Ohhh, it's so amusing to laugh about those wacky, bumbling Nazis! I liked the theme music, that was it.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I presume someone's got Paul Newman lined up [Tear]

(Will this be the end of his spaghetti sauces? [Waterworks] )

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I presume someone's got Paul Newman lined up

Surprisingly, no. He might be one of the good guys that noone wanted to pick. (Not that that's stopped some shipmates...)
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The great soul man Isaac Hayes was just found dead. He was 65.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very few points but definitely worth marking is the death at 91 of Leo Abse.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Very few points but definitely worth marking is the death at 91 of Leo Abse.

I was very sad to read that last night, he was a great man and I wonder if the gay men in UK younger than me realise how much they owe to his courage.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to report a few from my own list.

Arbella Ewing died on 22nd March, aged 114.

Tsuneyo_Toyonaga died on 22nd February, aged 113.

Clementine Solignac died on 25th May, aged 113.

So that's -40 points to me, and three for the "quantity not quality" award.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jerry Wexler, August 15th, at 91. [Votive]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This one tops the irony list: Dave Freeman, author of "100 Things to do before you die" was killed in a fall in his home earlier this week, at age 47.

[ 26. August 2008, 21:50: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
This one tops the irony list: Dave Freeman, author of "100 Things to do before you die" was killed in a fall in his home earlier this week, at age 47.

And the best is that he had only got half way through his own list.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As announced by Ags on the Mornington Crescent thread....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ernest Borgnine is on my list, and he's taunting me:
quote:
Borgnine: 'Acting Keeps Me Alive'
22 August 2008 1:29 PM, PDT | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

Movie veteran Ernest Borgnine refuses to retire from movies, claiming acting has helped him live to the age of 91.

The Oscar winner is still as busy as ever and has three new films out in 2008.

And Borgnine claims some of his late contemporaries may still be alive if they'd carried on working. ...

OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
As announced by Ags on the Mornington Crescent thread....

And another Ken Campbell. I knew him quite well for a while, long ago. And saw lots of his shows (including the excellent 24hr The Warp at the ICA, the obit says 22hr but I think that's wrong) A lovely man, manic, a great entertainer; the world is a much poorer place without him. RIP indeed

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
David Foster Wallace has killed himself. [Votive]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pink Floyd's Richard Wright

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CBC Radio has just announced the death of Paul Newman; there's a banner headline on the CNN website. [Waterworks] [Votive] OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Yes, at age 83. Sigh. Those gorgeous blue eyes...

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Waterworks] We will miss him... and his beautiful eyes.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Very sad, he was a great actor - and really dishy with it [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Austrian neo-Nazi Jorge Haider has died in a road accident.

42 points to anyone who nominated him.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think anyone had Guillaume Depardieu who has died aged 37 from pneumonia. RIP [Votive]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops has died.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. Blackwell, after creating countless lists, has made it onto this one.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd love to know what he'll be wearing for the viewing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I'd love to know what he'll be wearing for the viewing.

A light walnut outfit, well polished and lined in red velvet with brass accessories.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Author Tony Hillerman, on Sunday.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I so much enjoyed his stories. I'll miss reading new ones.

RIP [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Filmmaker Gerard Damiano, on Saturday.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Studs Terkel. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now we'll know what the angels really think.

Bye bye Studs,

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Studs Terkel. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

The end of an era. Rest in peace, Studs. [Votive]

--------------------

kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Author Michael Crichton has just died of cancer. I certainly enjoyed Jurassic Park better in the book rather than the film version.

Don't recall seeing him on anyone's list, though.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Holy CRAP. That's a shame.

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just spotted on the BBC - Sydney Maurice Lucas, one of the last UK WW1 veterans has died. [Waterworks] (Yes I know he was now an Australian, but he was British in WW1).

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Just spotted on the BBC - Sydney Maurice Lucas, one of the last UK WW1 veterans has died. [Waterworks] (Yes I know he was now an Australian, but he was British in WW1).

Only 108, so I guess he wasn't old enough for Uriel's list.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

I suppose it is time to start thinking about who will snuff it in 2009. Although most of my present list remains hale and hearty...

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
think about it all you like - the new thread won't open until mid-December

Wet Kipper
Circus Host

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016