homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: January 2009 Fitness Race (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: January 2009 Fitness Race
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
40 minutes cycling to the ATM this morning - running total 2 hrs 5 mins.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
35 minutes keep fit DVD this morning (which has been at the back of the cupboard for a couple of years!)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2 hours 7 minutes of cycling this morning - in an unfortunate amount of fog.

Also, 30 minutes walking to and from the supermarket.

Hence running total: 2 hours 37 minutes.

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't believe I lazed yesterday away completely. But this morning I've been to the gym and slaved away for a total of

one hour

It's a bit disheartening to know that in that time I worked off fewer calories than a mince pie! But my aim's more to get fitter than thinner, so I will not be disheartened, even though my plan to walk into town this afternoon has been foiled by the clock and a Smudgelet!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One hour of step aerobics - first class in more than 15 years - I may not be so happy tomorrow - but it was fun.

Running total - 2 hours (but it feels like more [Smile] )

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
35 minutes walking with HWMBO this evening making a running total of 2 hours 40 minutes.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off the mark today with a brisk afternoon walk in the country. Only 55 minutes but it's a start. Grand to see the sun for a couple of hours after lots of fog/cloud/frost.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
40 minutes swimming. (Splashing around with daughter rather than Serious Swimming)
30 minutes in the gym.

Total -70 minutes.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour 45 minutes

Gym, plus walk to and from.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear, a rather shameful 40 minutes of walking about for today and yesterday. It will improve, the gym classes start next week! Plus my flatmates appear to want to go running - I'll have to try and encourage them out tomorrow...
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another 30 minutes walking into town from a car park just outside, and then walking back again afterwards, making a running total of an hour and a half. At this rate, I stand a chance of beating my previous record!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from an hour and a half at the gym working out with a personal trainer. (It was included in the free membership!) But was really only active for one hour of that time as we talked a bit at the start and at the end.

Running total: 3 hours

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
50mins walking to and from tube plus 90mins shlepping round the sales (was actually out for a lot longer but that'll do for the walking part of it) for a running total of 2hours 20mins.

[ 02. January 2009, 19:33: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour 25 minutes walking today in icy conditions, which increased the aerobic qualities considerably.

Running total = 2 hrs 25 mins

[ 02. January 2009, 20:58: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

1 hour spent thrashing the Smudgelet at badminton. [Snigger]
Then a walk into town - we were there an hour and a half but I reckon that, subracting all the mooching around in various shops, I can justify about half an hour of swift walking.

That makes my total so far three hours, I reckon. (I think doing the maths is going to be more of a challenge than doing the exercise!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please count me in - pity I found this thread too late to count my four hours pottering around Kew on the 1st and the 2 hours at the Museum of Childhood yesterday.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Just 30 minutes walking today making a running total of 3 hours 10 minutes.

--------------------

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2 Hours 53 minutes of very chilly mountain biking in Thetford Forest.

Running total: 5 hours 30 minutes.

Rachel.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So far today, 45 minutes cleaning out the bin store - and clearing up the 7 bags of fallen leaves in there, and 45 minutes brisk (because of the cold) walking out shopping.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Walked/jogged to work this morning. 45 minutes Running total 1 hour 35 minutes.

Extraordinarily sensuous experience. Black velvet sky setting off the frost in the trees and on the grass. The air redolent (goes off to check dictionary...) yep, redolent with Winter Box, Winter Honeysuckle, Viburnums various and Daphne mezereum - and that's only the ones I could recognize! Long sections of the route well-lit and even with the flaps of my helmet down I could hear robins twittering under the sodium lamps.

Started out thinking "this is something I must do" and finished with "I must do this again". Tomorrow's forecast is minus 5 or 6 centigrade
but it's a leter start, being Sunday. I wonder..

[ 03. January 2009, 16:41: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Half an hour of walking yesterday and an hour of running today...
So I'm bringing up the lead with an hour and a half.

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Then a walk into town - we were there an hour and a half but I reckon that, subracting all the mooching around in various shops, I can justify about half an hour of swift walking.

Was wondering about walking round the shops, so following Smudgie's example Walking round the shops for about 2 and a half hours, is worth about 1 hour and walk to town and back was 1 hour 30 mins, SO that's 2hours 30 mins today and a running total of 3 hours and 5 mins.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour 35 minutes

Did my long walk. Thought of stoppig off for a coffee half way round, but I'd put myself on automatic pilot, so couldn't stop [Smile] I think it could count as a bit of weight-resistance training - I were my thick coat!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another gloriously sunny - but cold - day, so did 2 hours of cycling/walking on the Camel Trail to Padstow.

Added to my previous score, plus three-quarters of an hour walking yesterday, my score is now 4 3/4 hours.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I'm happy - I think I may be getting close to beating my record for the last fitness race (though I see I have a bit more to do before I match last January. Watch this space)!

One hour in the gym this afternoon (though I failed miserably on the rowing machine - never had to give up after 500 metres before!)

followed by

Forty minutes in the swimming pool churning up and down the lanes.

Brings me to four hours and forty minutes.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pls count me in even if I'm starting with a two day handicap.

25 minutes on exercise bike just now in front of the telly, watching DVD of Series 1 of The Wire. Plus 5 mins stretching, but that's not aerobic so under the rules it doesn't count.

Plan is to increase the exercise-bike-in-front-of-the-telly time by 5 mins every two days aiming at an eventual 40 mins daily (including 5 mins warm up and 5 mins warm down each time. I wind the resistance up for the centre part). Heart rate monitor on the bike clipped to my ear, I keep my heart rate below 130/min max. Advised for my age. Am aiming to do this five times a week. Let's see.....

Sadly too icy for my bike group's Saturday ride today. I don't do ice! Would have added 4-5 hrs. Another time.

Running Total: 25 mins

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right, yesterday I clocked up 30 minutes walking to, around and from the shops during my lunch break and after work. In the evening I went ten-pin bowling with some friends, however with all the sitting around while it was other people's turns, I reckon that probably only comes out at 10 minutes of activity, but I'll count it anyway if I may. [Big Grin]

Today has been a very lazy day - didn't wake up til 10.30, and didn't get dressed til mid-afternoon. But I've done 10 minutes walking to and from the supermarket.

So I make it 2 hours 45 minutes so far.

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

35 minutes on the treadmill and 25 minutes of weight training

Running total: 4 hours

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

45 minutes cycling early this morning - running total 3 hours, 10 minutes.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hr 5 mins walking.

Running total = 3 hrs 30 mins

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
3.25 hours shoveling snow and moving heavy stuff. (my storage is trying to cave in under the snow load)

it was -20f while I was out there. do I get extra credit? [Biased]

I'll try to get a more steady system going soon. I need this.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that I'm back somewhere with a working computer... Been very idle so far this year, so all I can claim is 5 minutes on Jan 1 walking back from the pub at 3am, and 10 minutes on Jan 2 walking over to visit one of Sandemaniac's relations. Grand total so far of 15 minutes.

This will undoubtedly go up slightly more quickly from hereon - I need to head over for a parental birthday later today, and work starts again tomorrow. [Frown]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been a bit more active than the idle Knotweed, but then I don't have a cough that sounds like a dying hippo.

So... 5 mins staggering from pub (does that really count, given that I'd demolished most of the buffet and several glasses of falling-over-water?)
1hr hedging (ie bashing overgrown jungle into a hedge shape)
10 mins walking to and from said rellies
2hrs vigorous gardening
15 minutes walking (-7 at the time - that's pretty parky for the South-East of England)
10 minutes bell ringing, and five minutes each way to get there and back.

I make that 3hrs 50mins

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in. Off for my gym induction later today.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Church today - which meant hauling 6 crates of Traidcraft stock down the stairs from the flat and towing it up to the church in two goes on a trolley, collecting tables from under tower and taking back when finished, then reverse haul of crates. That lot took 55 minutes.

I could possibly count the jumping and down to keep warm while manning said stall and jogging from foot to foot during every hymn, but I'm not sure how much time I actually spent aerobically moving.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday involved a 20 minute run, then about 40 minutes of walking. So that's 1 hour to add to my total.

Today, I'm currently still in my PJs, but hopefully when I eventually get dressed and leave the house there'll be more to add...

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a weekend of parties. [Smile] But most of them were some distance from public transport (and in one case I rode my bike) so I still have some time to clock up here, even if I haven't exactly done much to improve my fitness level.

I reckon I notched up about 50 min of walking in six trips over the two days. Most of it was fairly brisk and I had to run to catch one of my trains!

I also cycled for around 40 minutes to get to and from one party.

I think that brings my running total to 4 hr 50.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

1 hr 25 min (I'm glad I'm not the only one not doing a running total!)

Today = same as yesterday except that I wore thick tights and a shorter jacket so did it ten minutes quicker! My chin has just about un-numbed now...

[ 04. January 2009, 12:35: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

1 Hour 59 minutes on my bike today. (I'm pleased to have done this particular route in under 2 hours, hence the anal timings.)

I was going to go out and get some gardening done this afternoon, but I don't think I can force myself out into the cold again - it took me ages to warm up after cycling this morning.

Anyway, running total: 7 hours 29 minutes

I'm back at work tomorrow and may end up posting weekly rather than daily. Also, I won't have as much time for nice long bike rides.

Rachel.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Walked all the way to work and most of the way back. 1 Hr. 25 min. which I think makes 3 hours in all.

The wind has shifted subtly so that the winter jasmine has been replaced by a strong reminder that ponies are not only for Christmas. Pity the poor little Thelwellians who have to muck'em out at these temperatures!

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

The link was broken but clicking on the first Googled suggestion should get you there. [Smile]

[ 04. January 2009, 16:08: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

35 mins keep fit DVD, so that gives me a running total of 3 hours 40 mins.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour swimming with kids (well, ok, 50 mins swimming and 10 mins in the jacuzzi)

10 mins walking to and from church.

Total to date - 2 hrs 10 min.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 Jan - totally idle, recovering from New Year
2 Jan - walk, river/canal bank, 1 hour 50 minutes
3 Jan - run (sort of) about 30 minutes
4 Jan - walk to church and back, longer walk river/canal bank, 3 hours total
running (ha!) total so far 5 hours 20 minutes
Blackbeard has been doing quite a lot of walking lately, mainly because running has been altogether too much like hard work in present state of unfitness. Also it goes quite well with current state of weather, cold (about freezing - canal is frozen over) and clear. (Comet can laugh.)

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour swimming today. I'm knackered!
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

And 30 minutes yoga, which I suspect I am going to regret tomorrow.

--------------------

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
45 minutes walking round the Lickey Hills with friends this afternoon (followed by a large Sunday roast in the pub, but that's probably not something I should admit to at this point). Running total = 3 hours 30 minutes.

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30 mins of yoga and 30 mins on the home gym, thus adding another hour to my total!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cycling to evening eucharist and back (in the freezing cold!), 15 mins each way = 30 mins

Just finished my nightly exercise bike in front of the telly 25 mins

Running total = 1hr 20mins

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

30 minutes walking. I'm being quite pathetic at the moment. But the plan for tomorrow involves the gym...

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016