homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 104)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:
Sorry to spoil everyone's fun, but it's already morning of 5th November and we're toasting the new president, Barack Obama after his 378-160 victory!

Yea. And knew Kennedy had been assassinated before it happened, too.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I told my girlfriend to hang up the phone on me earlier.

I'm a bad person.

Pennsylvania has done it! Obama will be President!

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't I just love this BBC News website. Fascinating to observe the results coming in. Sound is from BBC Radio 4. Very instructive, all this: learning about and from America.

Fingers crossed, guys!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Their website is good, but their coverage is pretty poor.

They took Christopher Hitchens off the panel and Jeremy Vine just isn't comfortable with the map.

But then, the map is dreadful - you can't see it it's so far away.

Oh, for the joys of CNN...

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, guess so; but I just love listening to James Naughtie. He did 'The Making of Music' on Radio 3 and 4 a while back. Lovely voice. Suppose I'm just trying to see if and how much the Beeb can rev it up.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Holy crap, Duval County (the extremely red county I live in) is frickin' BLUE. It is not possible to overstate how huge that is.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm calling it, we are watching the destruction of the Republican Party as a national force.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Insomniac politiocolics in the British Isles / Europe, without the benefit of CNN etc, can get live coverage from msnbc at this website.

I might have to take the train to work tomorrow, because I will be too tired to drive after staying up all night.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Woohoo!!! They just called Ohio for Obama.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pennsylvania------ CHECK
Ohio ----------- CHECK

Lookin' GOOD. [Yipee]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Best moment so far was when the BBC said FOX News had projected Ohio for Obama and then the guys in the studio suggested that they just wanted to get this one out of the way!

How happy should every American be right now?

Very.

--------------------

Hedgerow Priest
Shipmate
# 13905

- Posted      Profile for Hedgerow Priest   Email Hedgerow Priest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watching it all on TV in ole London Town. it's going well. Just saw the belligerent Walrus John Bolton with a face like a smacked arse. Loving it! Go Barack!

--------------------
"Where is the Love"
Saint Fergy de Pea

Posts: 362 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The BBC (AP) have now called Ohio for Obama, as did Fox earlier. If Erin is right about Florida as a whole, I think it's all over.
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

You can watch the Florida election results come in here.

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My state (PA) went to Obama! Yeah!

PA was one of the "swing states", so the ads were really dirty, really repetitve and both candidates seemed like they were here every other week! It was getting tiring!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erin said
quote:
Woohoo!!! They just called Ohio for Obama.
Yes!!!! Finally, I'm living in a blue state !!!

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks like Arizona (McCain's home state) is going to Obama. Ain't that a real slap in the face to McCain!? Too funny!

I am really surprised tonight. I thought it would be much closer than this.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess Joe Six-Pak couldn;t make it to his polling place... so sad, too bad.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
Looks like Arizona (McCain's home state) is going to Obama.

I ain't counting my chickens on this one...

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Great sig ya got, Orb! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indiana is soooo close to turning blue... *grits teeth*

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FiveThirtyEight.com calls it for Obama
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I think I might have to go to the package store for some champagne.

--------------------

Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks like the rednecks in my county are even going for Obama.

And our local Krogers will now be able to sell liquor seven days a week. Is it getting chilly in hell??

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Great sig ya got, Orb! [Big Grin]

I've had it for quite some time! [Big Grin]

If anyone is watching BBC...can I just confirm with a second opinion that the guy who Rajesh Mirchandi just interviewed is the most colossal twat in the Republican party? [That's saying something.]

And then Bolton had a go at good old Rajesh by presenting the guy with the facts of the situation! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ugh, Obama is down my 12,000 votes in Indiana right now. I may have to settle for living in a blue county.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
I guess Joe Six-Pak couldn;t make it to his polling place... so sad, too bad.

Yeah, where's Joe the Plumber NOW? lol

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Grant Park looks like The Place To Be right now...

--------------------

Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a more fitting place to exorcise the ghosts of 1968 than in Grant Park!

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
If anyone is watching BBC...can I just confirm with a second opinion that the guy who Rajesh Mirchandi just interviewed is the most colossal twat in the Republican party? [That's saying something.]

Nah. I wouldn't expect anyone from a party to admit anything but positive news on an election night.

But it was a fun piece of interviewing. And the London studio reaction was great - Americans just don't expect the media to criticise politicans, whereas the UK is of course pretty much the opposite. There was an interesting comment earlier on in the coverage when someone said that the US media tended to be positive towards the winners. David Dimbleby responded by saying that the British media usually did the opposite!

With the projections so far, my only dilemma tonight is deciding whether to go out to the local Democratic results party which starts in half an hour at 8PM...

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over here in the Capitol of Australia, a lot of our politicians are at a US election party. The US ambassador to Australia (a close personal friend of GW Bush) has just announced his resignation. I think this might signify the winds of change are blowing a loooong way around the planet!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spouse:
Nah. I wouldn't expect anyone from a party to admit anything but positive news on an election night.

To be fair, the polls are still open in a few states, so it would be unfair to expect a concession.

The time zone issue is not really a factor in single time zone British election coverage.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

CNN has declared it for Obama. [Yipee]

Zach

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

The networks are calling the election. I'm actually bawling like a damn baby.

Thank you Jesus.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hallelujah Amen. Hope to God that nothing funky happens between now and the final concession...
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

Living in Gin said
quote:
What a more fitting place to exorcise the ghosts of 1968 than in Grant Park!

And the whole world is still watching. The long nightmare is finally over!

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

President Bush is actually still in charge for another 2 months you know. [Help]

Zach

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations USA.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Can I get a...

...yes we DID?

[Biased]

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to all Obama supporters. This is not the outcome I wanted, but I hope that my fears are proved wrong. Again, congratulations.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
Grant Park looks like The Place To Be right now...

I'm not there myself, but some of my friends are. Apparently the tickets were very hard to come by.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I live in a blue state. Holy Mother of God, I actually live in a blue state.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Yay, USA - yes, you can!

Well done, friends. What a night. Lotsa work to do. But it's a very good start. Great job! Thank you, guys! [Overused] [Cool]

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well voted America! Blue, from sea to shining sea (with a splurge of red in the middle to remind us that we still live in a fallen world [Biased] ).

God bless President-Elect Obama and Vice-President-Elect Biden, and give their advisers and them wisdom to choose the right executive team for the times.

And God Bless America! You've made the rest of the world happy for the first time in eight years.

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woooohoooooooooo!! !! !!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
The networks are calling the election. I'm actually bawling like a damn baby.

Thank you Jesus.

This post alone is enough to earn this thread a place in Limbo.

Actually, I've just seen the first governor election results here in Washington. Most of us are in all vote by mail counties,* so final results may not be known on close races for over a week (must be postmarked by today).

So, things can change.

But, my county, Snohomish County, which barely went to the Republican Snake Oil Salesman for governor 4 years ago is a bit different tonight. The 8:00 pm vote totals posted on the WA Secy of State's vote.wa.gov website are from us. These are all the absentee ballots that have been received and verified through today. We are voting 56+% for the incumbant Democrat governor in this vote total.

I started to cry.

I know this can change. It will change. But I suspect that people did notice the new highways built around here. They did notice the funding for education. They did notice a few other things. And, Obama's get-out-the-vote effort is the best anyone has seen. Ever. Period.

This is going to be a good night.

*Only King County (Seattle) and Pierce County (where MT lives) still has polling places, but about 70-75% of those voters use absentee like the rest of us.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sweet Mary, it's actually happened. I'm so proud to have witnessed this day. 300+ years of subjugation have been finally vanquished in a true confirmation of American equality.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now the real work begins...

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ironically, McCain's just made his first statesmanlike speech - a concession speech which seems to heal rather than to divide.

(Didn't seem to go down very well with the crowd, though).

[ 05. November 2008, 03:22: Message edited by: RadicalWhig ]

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016