homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 106)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
What LOTR soundtrack?

They must be filtering it out - you don't know what you're missing. Grand, orchestrated, Flight of the Valkries stuff. Nevermind, not important.

Seize the moment. You may not be living in sin much longer. [Biased]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
I did think to myself that that would no doubt inflame the haters even more, though.
[Frown]

fuck'em.
In some places, causing anger like that could rate a brick through someone's a front window.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, we can!

Spent all day canvassing neighborhoods. There isn't a bone below my third rib that doesn't hurt. Then brought my whole family to the Democratic Party party. Lifted my daughter onto my shoulders so she could see for several hours. So now, every bone below my jaw aches. Then we screamed for the results and now everything below my ears hurts!

And loving it!

When the polls closed, I spent some time talking to a man who turned out to be a lead coordinator for the Democratic party for our district. I asked him how to get involved when elections are not going on. He came back to me with some information, including a sheet describing the Minnesota program whereby we can get reimbursement from the state, up to a limit, for contributions to candidates for state offices.

He handed me a few copies saying, "Here's one for you, and five more for other people. Congratulations, you're now a community organizer."

The second thing that made my day.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
talexa
Shipmate
# 11292

- Posted      Profile for talexa   Email talexa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yeah, during Obama's speech I could feel the tears working their way up my throat but I held fast and didn't start crying. The Inauguration though... I KNOW I'm going to dissolve in a puddle of tears and sobbing.

Lord, I'd hate to see me in January. The word "blubbering" comes to mind.

--------------------
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

-M.K. Gandhi

Posts: 52 | From: Duluth, GA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like Obama might become one of the few Presidents to take the White House without winning Missouri. But he is ahead in Montana, Indiana and North Carolina!

N.B. It's somehow incongruous that Obama is the only word in my whole post that is given a red squiggly line underneath it.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
That was easily the best Presidential election acceptance speech in history. Short, eloquent, inspirational and to-the-point. Now - if they would just tone down the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Gack.

For once in my time here on The Ship, I find myself in complete agreement with you, Gort. Can it be that outside of the Hell thread you might actually be ok? Shock! I have to sit down now.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The headline: Hope Triumps Over Fear.

I'm glad beta-McCain got to make an appearance, a good speech. I think he's happy to be going to bed with Cindy instead of Karl Rove and the "agents of intolerance" tonight.

Anyone catch Tavis Smiley's (PBS commentator) commentary on NBC? Truly wise and inspired. Talked about how Obama is an iconic leader, and how iconic leadership comes with great danger-- that we need to pray for his soul. Reminded me of Neibuhr. An outstanding, wise commentary.

I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight with all this adrenalin swishing around (along with a few glasses of California's finest white zin), but whenever sleep comes, it'll be blissful.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
You people are made of STONE, I swear to God, I have been crying since MSNBC called it.

I feel sorry for Alaska, though, because Palin looked pissed.

she can just bring it on. We were pissed first.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
she caN now return to the frozen tundra from whence she came

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You people are made of STONE, I swear to God, I have been crying since MSNBC called it...

Hey. I'm still snotty-nosed. This election can't be really happening.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
If you get arrested for legal political speech, I'll bail you out.

Thank you! Fortunately this was not necessary, though one of the main hassles of my day was over-zealous precinct workers.

I really, really wish it was illegal for any results on national elections to be made public until the polls are closed across the entire country. After Ohio was called for Obama, lots of the polls where we had No on 8 workers went dead, as folks figured they didn't need to go out and vote since Obama had it in the bag. We pulled people off the polls and sent them door to door, asking people to get out and vote on Prop 8. I know folks on the east coast don't want to wait for polls in Alaska and Hawaii to close before knowing how their states are going, but the reports of eastern election results really fucks with turnout in the west.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
Yes, we can!

Spent all day canvassing neighborhoods. There isn't a bone below my third rib that doesn't hurt. Then brought my whole family to the Democratic Party party. Lifted my daughter onto my shoulders so she could see for several hours. So now, every bone below my jaw aches. Then we screamed for the results and now everything below my ears hurts!

And loving it!

When the polls closed, I spent some time talking to a man who turned out to be a lead coordinator for the Democratic party for our district. I asked him how to get involved when elections are not going on. He came back to me with some information, including a sheet describing the Minnesota program whereby we can get reimbursement from the state, up to a limit, for contributions to candidates for state offices.

He handed me a few copies saying, "Here's one for you, and five more for other people. Congratulations, you're now a community organizer."

The second thing that made my day.

Congratulations, Choirboy! I was thinking that it might be time to get my fat ass involved in community politics and national stuff too. I'll have to get in touch with some of my political pals in the Democratic party here in the Atlanta, GA area. I'm excited though! Yaaaaaaaay, Obama won!!!!!
[Big Grin]

Go rest, Choirboy... if you can! I know we'll be partying tomorrow and in January.

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
National holiday in Kenya on Thursday!

Wednesday - Obama wins!
Thursday - holiday!
Friday - it's Friday!
Saturday - day off!
Sunday - praise the Lord!

Sounds like a weekend to savour...

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

And please feel sorry for Arizona too -- we're stuck keeping our senior Senator, and we'll probably lose our Governor to the new Cabinet.

But we've got Obama as our President!!!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You people are made of STONE, I swear to God, I have been crying since MSNBC called it.

Probably pissed on.

(Didn't anyone let her see fivethirtyeight.com?)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
For once in my time here on The Ship, I find myself in complete agreement with you, Gort. Can it be that outside of the Hell thread you might actually be ok?...

No, I've been momentarily swept up in the tide of history. Please stayed tuned for your regularly scheduled, peevish malcontent.

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I know folks on the east coast don't want to wait for polls in Alaska and Hawaii to close before knowing how their states are going, but the reports of eastern election results really fucks with turnout in the west.

That is another advantage for all mail-in voting.

We have to thank Oregon for showing us the way on this one.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
she caN now return to the frozen tundra from whence she came

Maybe she'll get eaten by a bear!

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watching the coverage on CNN.

[Smile] Now this is the United States I know and love. Where're ya bin people, we missed you!

[Angel]

I really want to see the Inaugural Address. Obama gets to make it at the Capitol, 35 years after Dr. King made his "I have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial.

There's so much poetic justice in that.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Congratulations, Choirboy! I was thinking that it might be time to get my fat ass involved in community politics and national stuff too.

Thanks! A fringe benefit - I think I dropped about 2 lbs today. Doing well by doing good.... [Biased] .

I'm off to bed. With a GIN!

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by talexa:
quote:
Yeah, during Obama's speech I could feel the tears working their way up my throat but I held fast and didn't start crying. The Inauguration though... I KNOW I'm going to dissolve in a puddle of tears and sobbing.

Lord, I'd hate to see me in January. The word "blubbering" comes to mind.
Hey, girl! We ought to get together for a party! Even though I still have no Social Security money... but we should have a party!!! Call me!

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
quote:
Congratulations, Choirboy! I was thinking that it might be time to get my fat ass involved in community politics and national stuff too.

Thanks! A fringe benefit - I think I dropped about 2 lbs today. Doing well by doing good.... [Biased] .

I'm off to bed. With a GIN!

I'm off to bed... with a "Jen"!!! Hahahahaha, I'm referring to my sweetie, Jennifer.

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Bed time for me.

Dimbleby was getting particularly scathing by the end about the Beeb's production values and their lack of decent shots of things. I hope he gets some good sleep!

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

It's 10:00 pm

MT, Josephine: Where are the votes from Pierce County? (Goldmark may still have a chance for Lands Commissioner.)

(Watching here)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
That was easily the best Presidential election acceptance speech in history. Short, eloquent, inspirational and to-the-point. Now - if they would just tone down the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Gack.

What LOTR soundtrack?

(I'm listening to KPLU/NPR.)

At least it was a little less cheesy than McCain's use of incidentals from Crimson Tide...
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is a great day for my country. Thanks be to God. And thank you, everyone who voted, however you voted. I am sitting in my pajamas drinking champagne and letting it all sink in. And I just about broke down crying when I saw Jesse Jackson crying at the rally in Grant Park. An elegant speech by McCain (his supporters, not so elegant) and a Presidential speech by Obama. It was such a kick to hear the news stations start calling him "President-elect Obama." And my daughter called from Paris to say she'd gotten up early to check results, and my son called from Indiana to thank me for working for Obama. (He registered in Indiana saying his vote would "count more there than in Illinois".) Indiana is still 50/50 at the moment; even though it's moot now, I consider it a moral victory and a reward for my son's first vote. Sorry for the stream of conscious... it's a great, great day for my country. I'm so proud.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooooh, inaugural party. Great idea!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
quote:
For once in my time here on The Ship, I find myself in complete agreement with you, Gort. Can it be that outside of the Hell thread you might actually be ok?...

No, I've been momentarily swept up in the tide of history. Please stayed tuned for your regularly scheduled, peevish malcontent.
Oh, c'mon, you old softie. We all know that you cry when you watch "Bambie" and you love soft, fluffy, (litter-box trained) kittens!

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
It's 10:00 pm

MT, Josephine: Where are the votes from Pierce County? (Goldmark may still have a chance for Lands Commissioner.)

(Watching here)

I miss Seattle... sorry, just wanted to throw that out into cyberspace.

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Watching the coverage on CNN.

[Smile] Now this is the United States I know and love. Where're ya bin people, we missed you!

[Angel]

I really want to see the Inaugural Address. Obama gets to make it at the Capitol, 35 years after Dr. King made his "I have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial.

There's so much poetic justice in that.

Forty-five years, two months, and one week ago today. I was there, straining to hear Martin Luther King's words, among a whole sea of others. I even got arrested.

And today I cast one vote for our first African-American president. Am I dreaming? Is this real? Has it actually, truly, really happened?

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you see the crowd in Chicago-- wall to wall people for blocks, as far as the camera could see? Did you hear them cheering? The joy came through. It was more than the frivolous celebration of New Year's Eve. It was something I never heard before-- literally hundreds of thousands of people cheering out of deep joy and sense of deliverance. I never heard quite the same even in movies before. That sound will be in sound effects libraries as long as there are sound effects libraries. When was anything captured on record quite like it?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Come visit! We're throwing a party in January....

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The woman on Faux News just said that "McCain lost due to circumstances beyond his control." [Killing me]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow!

{Takes some of Paddy's proffered cocoa. Reaches across aisle to supporters of other candidates.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Come visit! We're throwing a party in January....
Thanks! If I had airfare... well, if I somehow get a hold of some airfare, I may take you up on it! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! A party! Obama won! Yay!
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Oh, c'mon, you old softie. We all know that you cry when you watch "Bambie" and you love soft, fluffy, (litter-box trained) kittens!

Bambi? Nah. I was the bastard who shot his mother, butchered and stacked her bits in the freezer. Though, I did tear-up a bit when I found Sam the cat, stiff as a board and laying beneath the Rhododendron outside my bedroom window.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Though, I did tear-up a bit when I found Sam the cat, stiff as a board and laying beneath the Rhododendron outside my bedroom window.

Now, if it has been the azalea...

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Killing me]

--------------------

UnShaggy

UnSurly shipmate
# 82

- Posted      Profile for UnShaggy   Author's homepage   Email UnShaggy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FUCKING YES!!!! As a foreigner in the States I wish I had been able to vote. Gimme a Green Card ya Basturuds!!!

Wow. From MLK to BO in such a short space of time is truly hamazing!!!

ps: my American comrades may have forced me to have a drink or three!

--------------------
We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Otto Neurath

Posts: 462 | From: That's me in the corner | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*does Happy Bear Dance for national election*

(sad news here in Florida -- our "proposition 2" apparently passed, it's the same as California's 8... but with Obama in the White House I still have hope it will all be OK)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
MT, Josephine: Where are the votes from Pierce County?

Good question! I don't know. I'd heard that there was some kerfuffle about where and when the ranked-choice ballots would be counted -- those in charge wanted to wait until later to deal with them, for some reason. Maybe processing of ballots is being held up because of that?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
*does Happy Bear Dance for national election*

(sad news here in Florida -- our "proposition 2" apparently passed, it's the same as California's 8... but with Obama in the White House I still have hope it will all be OK)

I'm sorry! [Frown] What a shitty thing. Not everybody wants a nation by, for and of ALL the people.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
The woman on Faux News just said that "McCain lost due to circumstances beyond his control." [Killing me]

well, that is just to say that it was an Act of God-I think it was [Smile]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Did you see the crowd in Chicago-- wall to wall people for blocks, as far as the camera could see? Did you hear them cheering? The joy came through.

The sheer diversity of the crowd is the thing that has stuck with me. And I finally believe that maybe, just maybe, we can live up to the American greatness that the Republicans keep yammering about. As a child you were always told that you could be anything, but once you actually became an adult you realized that you pretty much had to be a rich white male to really make it. Now? Hell, we just elected a black man. And we made that choice ourselves.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

First things first. Next a woman. Go to bed ya blubbery goof.

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

I was born in St. Louis City, Missouri, in 1954.

This is the city where Dred Scott started his path to find out that he wasn't a human being. When I heard about Obama drawing his giant crowd in the shadow of the Old Courthouse (where Scott's first case was heard) on the waterfront in St. Louis, I cried then. When I told The Pianist why, all he could do was to get very quiet and go "oh."

The year 1954 was the year of Brown v Board of Education of Topeka, when segregation in public schools was declared unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court. My native Missouri had a requirment for segregated schools in the state constitution (not just state law). My last Missouri ballot was cast just before moving from the state in the special general election during the spring of 1980 where this segregation requirement, while unenforceable, was finally removed from the constitution. It took that long for politicians to put it on the ballot (partially out of fear it wouldn't pass). The governor declared a special general election at the time of the spring municipal elections so they could put this constitutional amendment on the ballot then, because turnout would probably be lower (which made it more likely to pass). Fortunately it passed.

Topics such as "Underground Railroad," "Missouri Compromise," "Jim Crow Law," "Dred Scott Decision," and "Bleeding Kansas" were part of state history classes in elementary school and high school.

I can remember the palpable fear of riots when MLK was killed.

I'm sorry Obama's grandma did not get to see this political cartoon celebrating her grandson's victory. Does Obama get to grieve now?

On a tangent, will Obama be involved in marking his ancestor's grave here in Everett?

[ 05. November 2008, 06:00: Message edited by: The Bede's American Successor ]

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
MT, Josephine: Where are the votes from Pierce County?

Good question! I don't know. I'd heard that there was some kerfuffle about where and when the ranked-choice ballots would be counted -- those in charge wanted to wait until later to deal with them, for some reason. Maybe processing of ballots is being held up because of that?
Another reason not to adopt this system.

Could you imagine King County trying to do ranked-choice voting? And getting the votes counted right before January?

At least The Experts That Be have called it for Gregoire already, even without your vote.

[Egads, I'm making too many typos. And I am not even drinking alcohol...tonight. Also, I just heard KPLU mention the ranked-choice vote counting problems in Pierce County.]

[ 05. November 2008, 06:07: Message edited by: The Bede's American Successor ]

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:
First things first. Next a woman. Go to bed ya blubbery goof.

I know, I'm going to be worthless at work, but I can't help it. Zach, you got your wish, you live in a blue state, too!

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

Yes, you can.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zwingli reads through the last page and a bit of the thread.

Honestly, people, get a grip.
Sheesh.

Hopefully, if nothing else, the Republicans will now abandon the neocons and become a principled party of small government.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016