homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 111)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  108  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
mjg: Your post used the words "if" and "there would be" clearing indicating that you were predicting the future, not talking about the past.

No need to make trite jokes about mental illness, your problem is communication not medication.

My bold.

(5500! And thanks for participating. [Biased] )

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday to this thread.

It has been both informative and entertaining, as it was the first SoF thread I read each day. Thanks to all the participants from the past year. I, for one, am going to miss it.

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:

Way back when Hillary was still in the running I suggested if she won, and was overly aggressive about implementing her agenda, there would be a backlash in 2010 comparable to 1994. I think Obama is shrewd enough to avoid her mistakes (although a few people don't see selecting Emanuel as being particularly conciliatory), and with all the concern about 'fixing' things the mood of the nation seems less antagonistic toward 'reform'.

[Selective bold text mine - B62]

Twilight, I see no communication problem. mjg was referring to what he saw as Hillary Clinton's historical mistakes of over-aggressive implementation. She might have repeated them if she had won, mjg thinks Obama will avoid that risk.

Now you might disagree with him about his take on this particular bit of history, but his meaning seems very clear, to me at least.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, I guess the "if she won" threw me.
Sorry, mjg, dissing Hillary and ridiculing the mentally ill are two things that get me riled.

Or maybe I just wanted one last fight -- like EeGad, I'm going to miss this thread.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Okay, I guess the "if she won" threw me.
Sorry, mjg, dissing Hillary and ridiculing the mentally ill are two things that get me riled.

Or maybe I just wanted one last fight -- like EeGad, I'm going to miss this thread.

It was certainly no intention of mine to ridicule the mentally ill except insofar as I have been led to believe by medical professionals it has therapeutic value in certain instances... make of that what you will.

And I think I'm still in the 'denial' stage in my grief over the end of this thread. [Smile]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
What about Hilary? Is she likely to try again, either in 2012 or 2016? Somehow I can't see her staying at home and knitting quietly.

I doubt it. Running against an incumbent from one's own party is generally frowned upon and age might be a factor later.

Things will be hopping at her day job in the Senate. [Smile]

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
The conventional wisdom _is_ that a protracted primary battle will hurt you in the general. But it all seems to have been turned on its head with this one. [Smile]

Could it be because few candidates have made it through the primaries without doing something stupid or outrageous? ISTM Obama made it through a protracted primary battle with aplomb and without nastiness or serious missteps.

PS Any word from Huckabee as to whether God still wants him for President? In 2012? Or 2016? [Devil]

I heard the name of Newt being thrown around. Now that's a blast from the past [Eek!] .

Obama really ran an disciplined campaign. The organization he had in place for all those primaries was still there for the general. The grassroots fundraising didn't hurt either.

*waves bye-bye at thread*

Charlotte

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mjg-

quote:
o the overreaching she and Bill attempted in 1993/4 RE Health Care which some pundits suggest fomented the Gingrich led repub gains in the House and Senate is another one of my delusions?
Ironically, in the last several years, Sen. Clinton has been approached by several prominent business leaders and the US Chamber of Commerce begging her to help them come up with solutions to the health insurance debacle. What Clinton proposed back in 1993 was sound, effective, good policy-- it just was a bit ahead of it's time. In 1993 there were enough Americans with good private insurance to listen to the scare mongerers screaming about "she's going to force us all into HMO's!" and "you won't be able to choose your doctor!"

Today, not so much. Won't be able to choose your doctor? Forced into an HMO? The vast majority of us gave up those two years ago. Today we are pathetically grateful to have ANY form of health insurance-- most assuredly an HMO, with no choice of doctors. We'll pay through the nose for it ($1000/mo for my household) and bow and scrape for our employer for fear we'll lose it. Employers meanwhile are desperately trying to continue benefits that increase at several times the rate of inflation while prices and demand for their goods and services are falling rapidly.

If you take Sen. Clinton's plan that was proposed in 1993 exactly as proposed, and describe it to the average right-wing conservative, with no name attached, they will tell you that's exactly what we need-- until you tell them it's the 1993 Clinton plan. Try it. I've tried it many times and have yet to have someone not go for it.

I predict Sen. Clinton will be the pivotal but behind-the-scenes player in developing universal health care for the US, which will be the most significant factor (second only to getting out of Iraq) to turning our economy around.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, ISTM that any overreaching re: health care back in the early Clinton day was done by the insurance lobbies and arch-conservatives.

I too will miss this thread. Toodle-oo!

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do, thread, go gentle into that good night.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will it go to Oblivion, I wonder? Or be shredded?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
baring some totally unforseen disaster, Obama will be the democratic candidate in 2012, that's just the way it is.

Hilary has already shown signs of intending to make her mark in the Senate, a la ted Kennedy. Though I'm still thinking an apointment of some kind in obama's government is possible.

*Waves good bye to the thread*

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodbye, thread! Off to Limbo with you.

[ 09. November 2008, 18:13: Message edited by: agrgurich ]

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[QUOTE]I heard the name of Newt being thrown around. Now that's a blast from the past [Eek!] .
Charlotte

Yea, nominating an old, washed up, white guy worked so well for them this time.
[Disappointed]
Good-bye, thread -- how long till 'The political junkie POTUS 2012 prediction thread' is started? (I think the first Primaries are in about six months...)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'bye old thread. I've learned quite a bit here.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good night sweet thread, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Die, thread! Die Die DIE!

[Devil]

you weirdo saps.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I post, it's two hours to midnight GMT.

ALmost there, people, almost there.

John Holding
Purgatory Host

[ 09. November 2008, 22:01: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
As I post, it's two hours to midnight GMT.

ALmost there, people, almost there.

John Holding
Purgatory Host

One hour, actually, but I'm sure that somebody will make use of your generosity!

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't believe I voluntarily read this whole thing. Clearly, I have too much time to waste.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
[QUOTE]I heard the name of Newt being thrown around. Now that's a blast from the past [Eek!] .
Charlotte

Yea, nominating an old, washed up, white guy worked so well for them this time.
[Disappointed]
Good-bye, thread -- how long till 'The political junkie POTUS 2012 prediction thread' is started? (I think the first Primaries are in about six months...)

Wellllll, Huckabee's on a "book tour" in Iowa.

I live in Fundraising Central so I'll keep my ears open for trips. But, yeah, talking about it at this point is kind of silly.

Charlotte

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the winner is...Bede's American Successor who was the first to mention Obama without H. Clinton on Nov. 9, 2007::
quote:
Obama can connect on that deeply personal level. He honed that skill doing street-level politics in Chicago.

[ 09. November 2008, 22:29: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

I thought we had another post-election shout-out about "Ron Paul is the man!!1!" as well to square the circle from the other side, but that was on another thread [Biased] .

Well done, Bede!

Charlotte

--------------------

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've followed a lot of this thread and found it very informative and entertaining.

Thanks everyone here and to US voters: thanks!

I'm really looking forward to see Obama's America.

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's only fitting that the thread should end just after Sarah Palin has been tagged and released back into the wild.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:
You know you want to feed your addiction, and the doctor is in.
[From the OP]

... to administer "cold turkey" until the next time. Thanks to all for a memorable thread about a memorable series of events.

This thread is now closing as Big Ben strikes on the radio.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  108  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016