homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If this works out the way I expect... and it surely will. This Obama delegate will vote McCain this November. If the dumbass citizens of this country haven't the wit to recognize the opportunity that is before them... they deserve four more years of Bush III.

[ 25. March 2008, 02:04: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Cruella
Apprentice
# 13502

- Posted      Profile for Cruella   Email Cruella   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
This would still heavily favor candidates who are already well-known across the country.

(We've already had this discussion on this thread, by the way -- go back to page three and start with moonlit door's wondering why we can't have all the primaries on the same day.)

Yes I do realize that but those of us who have very late primary dates have always been shut out.. it's a done deal usually but this year it isn't (the heavens open and the choirs sing!)

But really, what is the real problem with the entire country having primaries the same day? So far the heavily favored candidates are picked in Iowa and New Hampshire (at least as far as the media is concerned) and it's been a done deal. I HATE that!

Not sure why Puerto Rico has more delegates than Kentucky, West Virginia, Montana and South Dakota have individually. That's REALLY weird...

[ 25. March 2008, 03:41: Message edited by: Cruella ]

--------------------
don't take more than you can eat in one sitting. Hide the bones. Bring on the dogs!

Posts: 39 | From: beautiful backwoods | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cruella:
But really, what is the real problem with the entire country having primaries the same day?

Read the thread you're posting on. It's already been explained. The discussion of the primary system begins on page three. For fuck's sake, I gave you a link last time!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops. I apologise for having restarted a discussion point that had already been done to death. Sorry.

Out of interest...are you still getting Obama/Clinton updates every day on the "news" over there?

It seems to have dried up a bit here in Blighty...but that might just be because of Easter and such. What's the blarney?

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
WatersOfBabylon
Shipmate
# 11893

- Posted      Profile for WatersOfBabylon   Email WatersOfBabylon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Uh oh! Somebody's in trouble! What will this new development mean for Hilary's campaign?
Posts: 515 | From: I'm a nomad. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WatersOfBabylon:
Uh oh! Somebody's in trouble! What will this new development mean for Hilary's campaign?

Do you still, after all these years, believe that being caught in a lie is somehow a problem for the Clintons?????? I admire your innocence.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by WatersOfBabylon:

Do you still, after all these years, believe that being caught in a lie is somehow a problem for the Clintons?????? I admire your innocence.

--Tom Clune

Maybe that gunfire was directed at Hillary. How do we know? If you aren't used to a war zone then hearing gunfire and seeing troops in fighting order can be unnerving (and why aren't I writing her campaign material?)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If you aren't used to a war zone then hearing gunfire and seeing troops in fighting order can be unnerving

To be fair, though, from the CBS footage, ole Hilary didn't exactly look unnerved. And if there had been gunfire in the way she described, would a young girl have been at her non-existent welcoming party to, er, welcome her or would they have all been a little too unnerved?

I caught the end of a report about some controversy in the campaign on the BBC this evening and wondered exactly what it was that was causing a stir. Must say that Hilary does seem to enjoy a good story! I wonder what else she has fabricated in order to turn the heads of the electorate in her direction ...

I wonder what else she might fabricate if she is elected?

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Original quotation by Hillary Clinton:
It proves I'm human.

No. It proves you're a liar.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find it difficult to believe that someone with so much to lose would deliberately lie about something which so so easy to check. She's not stupid.

It has to be a mistake. Why not accept it? There's plenty of other stuff to make a case against her.

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swish
Shipmate
# 8566

- Posted      Profile for Swish   Email Swish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boggis:
I find it difficult to believe that someone with so much to lose would deliberately lie about something which so so easy to check. She's not stupid.

It has to be a mistake. Why not accept it? There's plenty of other stuff to make a case against her.

To be fair to her, it's an easy mistake to make. I often think I'm being fired upon by snipers when in reality I'm simply being greeted as a dignitary by a little girl.

Seriously, if the Democrats think that Clinton is the best candidate, then I despair for you all. Purely from a foreign viewpoint, Obama seems to have won practically everyone I meet, and elected him will do wonders towards restoring damaged relations with the outside world (Anti-Americanism in Britain closely tied to contempt for Bush)and I can't see any positives in rejecting him in favour of Clinton or McCain at all.

--------------------
Sorry Ted. I was concentrating too hard on looking holy.

Posts: 114 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the bullet-riddled plane rolled to a stop, we grabbed our flak-jackets and dove from the door, running. Staccato bursts of gunfire stitched a pattern across the asphalt sending hot metal fragments ripping through my camouflage panty hose. The pain was intense but I kept dodging. My heroic speechwriter was the first to go down, having thrown himself between me and and the militia attack - his head exploding in a red mist of bone and brain matter.

The entourage were scattering like chickens in a hurricane when I grabbed a machine gun from a fallen guard and began firing back. My daughter, Chelsea, stayed by my side feeding me ammo clips as we advanced on the enemy. Soon, we were able to find a position behind a cratered wall where Chelsea lobbed a grenade into the nest of vipers. A horrendous explosion, then silence fell across the tarmac. Finally, we were able to organize the living into a suitable welcoming ceremony.

Some may call me a hero. Some may call me a fool. But in the end, I am simply a human.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know how to interpret Hillary's war story. She could be lying, or could have misremembered, or could simply have run off at the mouth.

OTOH, the other day McCain forgot that no WMDs had been found in Iraq. He was giving a speech and said they *had* been found. The man standing next to him corrected him. McCain accepted the correction, but seemed confused.

What if the main 3 candidates all washed out before November? Any ideas what we'd do then???

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was just reminded (on another thread) of a disgraced politician in the UK (John Stonehouse) about whom the judge said at his trial that, for him, "truth was a moving target". A part of the disease of politics in the western world is our tendency to accept that, for all politicians in power, truth actually is "a moving target", more a matter of convenient rearrangement of the facts than anything else.

I think that was what was so impressive about Obama's speech. It was not at all a convenient rearranging of the facts, rather a head-on engagement with some extremely embarrassing facts. I hope he gets in and I hope he stays that way.

So far as Hilary and the "under fire" story is concerned, I'm reminded of another famous comment on a UK politician. This time by Mandy Rice Davies on John Profumo, re some false denial of his. "Well ...he would". It is easy to deceive yourself if you think truth is merely a matter of effective representation. It is a sign that you have lost your way.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come, come - she didn't 'lie', she mis-spoke!

I'm sure there's a difference somewhere - it's just that I can't see it! [Ultra confused]

Were I eligible, I have to say I think I'd be supporting Obama. If he's not elected, do you think he might be persuaded to change his nationality and stand for the British Parliament?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Odd, isn't it TonyK? I wonder who will be the first politician to break the spell and say, simply "You got me! Good catch. I was playing with the truth for effect. I'm sorry. Not because I got found out, but because it was wrong to do it anyway. I won't do it again". Hilary could have done that. In the current climate, it might even have done her some good. To say just that you mis-spoke is to mis-speak.

The real hypocrisy is our own; the pretense that we never ever do the same. Never edit the truth to make ourselves look better. If politics is ever going to recover it's spoiled reputation, that spell is going to have to be broken both in them and in us.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It is easy to deceive yourself if you think truth is merely a matter of effective representation.

That sums up my thoughts on the matter perfectly. So perfectly I might even make it into a new sig. if I may.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I don't know how to interpret Hillary's war story. She could be lying, or could have misremembered, or could simply have run off at the mouth.

OTOH, the other day McCain forgot that no WMDs had been found in Iraq. He was giving a speech and said they *had* been found. The man standing next to him corrected him. McCain accepted the correction, but seemed confused.

I think you misremembered [Big Grin] McCain never said this AFAIK. He did say that Iran was training Al Qaida terrorists, and was corrected by Leiberman -- they are enemies. Iran stands accused of training Shi'ite terrorists, not Al Qaeda terrorists. The thing that makes this a problem for McCain is not that anyone believes he didn't know the difference, but that many people are worried that he may be old enough to be losing his faculties. If people see this as evidence of diminishing capacity, it could be a problem for him.

--Tom Clune

[ 26. March 2008, 11:42: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It is easy to deceive yourself if you think truth is merely a matter of effective representation.

That sums up my thoughts on the matter perfectly. So perfectly I might even make it into a new sig. if I may.
Be my guest. I nick one-liners from all over the place but that one is an original barnabas.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
As the bullet-riddled plane rolled to a stop, we grabbed our flak-jackets and dove from the door, running. Staccato bursts of gunfire stitched a pattern across the asphalt sending hot metal fragments ripping through my camouflage panty hose. The pain was intense but I kept dodging. My heroic speechwriter was the first to go down, having thrown himself between me and and the militia attack - his head exploding in a red mist of bone and brain matter.

The entourage were scattering like chickens in a hurricane when I grabbed a machine gun from a fallen guard and began firing back. My daughter, Chelsea, stayed by my side feeding me ammo clips as we advanced on the enemy. Soon, we were able to find a position behind a cratered wall where Chelsea lobbed a grenade into the nest of vipers. A horrendous explosion, then silence fell across the tarmac. Finally, we were able to organize the living into a suitable welcoming ceremony.

Some may call me a hero. Some may call me a fool. But in the end, I am simply a human.

That's funny, Gort! You should develop it for a fictional story for publication. Perhaps called "My [True] Life: The Unauthorized Biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton?"

quote:
What if the main 3 candidates all washed out before November? Any ideas what we'd do then???

Alan Keyes or Newt Gingrinch to the rescue?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

I'd rather write one for Bush titled, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Presidency".
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:

Yeah, that would make any of the current three look good.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that would make any of the current three look good.
yeah, that would not be rescue but the country throwing in the towel.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What if the main 3 candidates all washed out before November? Any ideas what we'd do then??? [/QB]

At least two will be washed out by November and the third will take a few months more.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

That frightens me -- to think of a person like that in the White House. It wouldn't be Dubya but Reagan we'd have to relive.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With McCain it's all about who the VP will be.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jeb? [Eek!]

--------------------

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And that scares me even more, since he probably has to pick some whacko nutjob to shore up his conservative credentials.

[crossposted. But now Mousethief has scared me even more!]

[ 26. March 2008, 15:25: Message edited by: Choirboy ]

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

I think you misremembered [Big Grin] McCain never said this AFAIK. He did say that Iran was training Al Qaida terrorists, and was corrected by Leiberman -- they are enemies. Iran stands accused of training Shi'ite terrorists, not Al Qaeda terrorists. The thing that makes this a problem for McCain is not that anyone believes he didn't know the difference, but that many people are worried that he may be old enough to be losing his faculties. If people see this as evidence of diminishing capacity, it could be a problem for him.

Exactly. And Fox commentator Brit Hume did McCain no favors by calling it a "senior moment." I was, frankly, embarrassed by the sight of Joe Lieberman whispering in McCain's ear to correct him. My reaction was much the same as MouseThief's -- it's Reagan all over again. Not Reagan the "great communicator" but Reagan in the early stages of memory loss.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hopefully McCain will have a few more such "senior moments" during the debates with Obama. The differences between the two candidates will be like, um, night and day.

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sense from listening to McCain lately is that he simply has no ideas, and seems very dull compared to the way he came across a few years ago. It would seem to be more than just a normal degree of age-related cognitive decline, which we really shouldn't be able to particularly detect by casually watching McCain on telly. Rather, I suspect he's got some more significant cognitive loss in progress.

The whole thing scares me terribly because the extreme conservatism of the American electorate could well result in a McCain victory over whoever the Demo candidate turns out to be.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's funny, Gort! You should develop it for a fictional story for publication. Perhaps called "My [True] Life: The Unauthorized Biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton?"

Fiction? It's true I tell you! (link is a bit gory in places)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Rather, I suspect he's got some more significant cognitive loss in progress.

Must be a side effect of the microchip implant he received at RNC headquarters.

--------------------

Cruella
Apprentice
# 13502

- Posted      Profile for Cruella   Email Cruella   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Ruth:
(We've already had this discussion on this thread, by the way -- go back to page three and start with moonlit door's wondering why we can't have all the primaries on the same day.)[/QB]

I don't know why I'm being chastised for bringing up a personal opinion again from a way older thread.

OK, I'm chastised but the question still remains and I won't apologize for it.
Do I need to revive the old thread for this?

--------------------
don't take more than you can eat in one sitting. Hide the bones. Bring on the dogs!

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

You might try quoting various bits of Organmeister's post that you would like to address. I'ts on this same thread and there's nothing wrong with continuing the discussion though it's 3 months old.
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Living in Gin:
Hopefully McCain will have a few more such "senior moments" during the debates with Obama. The differences between the two candidates will be like, um, night and day.

like Reagan's first debate with Mondale?? [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cruella
Apprentice
# 13502

quote:
You might try quoting various bits of Organmeister's post that you would like to address. I'ts on this same thread and there's nothing wrong with continuing the discussion though it's 3 months old.

I'll just sit quiet as a wallflower. I see I have indeed hit minefields.

--------------------

Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:

Doubtful... McCain is no Reagan, and Obama is no Mondale. (Thank God on both counts.)

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:

Doubtful... McCain is no Reagan, and Obama is no Mondale. (Thank God on both counts.)
Agreed on both counts and another Thanks be to God!

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
posted by Ruth:
(We've already had this discussion on this thread, by the way -- go back to page three and start with moonlit door's wondering why we can't have all the primaries on the same day.)

I don't know why I'm being chastised for bringing up a personal opinion again from a way older thread.

OK, I'm chastised but the question still remains and I won't apologize for it.
Do I need to revive the old thread for this?

I "chastised" you, if that's the word, because though I had already answered your question as well as provided a link to the appropriate point on this thread, you posed the exact same question, as if no one had responded the first time. There's no reason why the problems with the primary system can't be discussed again -- we're still suffering through them, after all -- but please do us all the courtesy of reading other people's posts -- the whole thread -- and not acting as if the discussion didn't start till you got here.

All sorts of things could go wrong with McCain, even before the election. I spent some time today idly wondering what would happen if he died or became incapacitated after securing the nomination but before the election.

[ 27. March 2008, 02:10: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
quote:

I'll just sit quiet as a wallflower. I see I have indeed hit minefields.
Look, Cruella: Just 'cause you're new here doesn't mean you don't have legitimate input to provide. Develop your thick skin and don't assume the crusty old salts here have anymore claim to the floor than you just because some are impatient. Fuck 'em all, I say.

[cross-posted with your nemisis [Big Grin] ]

[ 27. March 2008, 02:16: Message edited by: Gort ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re McCain's confused moment:

Ok, my brain probably translated it as "he's saying the same crap the administration has spouted", and got mixed up as to which bit. Sorry.

As to Gingrich or Keyes:

[Projectile]

{Packs bags for NZ.}

If they did take the presidency, NZ would probably step up its tourism advertising here. SF is generally very liberal and against this administration; so during some of the worst times in the last 7 years, NZ has given us very targeted ads, along the lines of "you want to leave the country?"
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RE: John McCain's foreign policy. On Tuesday in an interview on Democracy Now link here Robert Dreyfus, an investigative reporter hsd this to say about McCain's basis for roeign policy.
quote:
I think to this day, McCain thinks that the Vietnam War could have been won if we had just stayed another five or ten or fifteen years, and he seems exactly prepared to do that in Iraq, despite all evidence to the contrary that we can’t do anything in Iraq other than sit on a very ugly stalemate that, you know, continues to blow up and flare into violenc
If he wouldn't have left Vietnam he certainly wouldn't leave Iraq ever no matter how obvious that solution would seem to be.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
All sorts of things could go wrong with McCain, even before the election. I spent some time today idly wondering what would happen if he died or became incapacitated after securing the nomination but before the election.

Well, let's start with the biggie. He's 71 now and he'll be 72 by the time he'd supposedly get into office.

The average life expectancy for a man in the U.S. is 75.15.

I seriously believe that this situation in itself should be unconstitutional.

If you have a restriction on WHERE Presidents must be born*, you should have a restriction on WHEN Presidents might die.

No one wants a President to die in office. No matter what the legendary Charlie Brooker hilariously says...

* I'm a US-UK dual national. Even if my family had moved there a day after I was born in the UK, I wouldn't be allowed to be President. How fair is that? [And, for the record, John McCain was born outside the USA too! [near bottom of article]

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Orb:

I seriously believe that this situation in itself should be unconstitutional.

So should ignorance. The average life expectancy of a man of 71 is considerably longer than the term of office for the POTUS.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If I'm not mistaken, that's based on 'from birth' data. Once you've managed to make it to 71, the actuarial tables give you quite a few more years.

You're young, so you go do the research. I'm old enough that I really don't want to know how much longer I might have to hang around.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Well, let's start with the biggie. He's 71 now and he'll be 72 by the time he'd supposedly get into office.

This is like the mistake where people see the "average life expectancy" in the middle ages is somewhere in the 30's and think that nobody ever lived much longer. I seriously heard once somebody propound the fact that few women must have gone through menopause back then because they were all dying off at 35. Oy.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I doubt whether US life expectancies are all that different to the UK. Here is an online site from which you can download life tables. The one for UK males shows that a 71 year old man has a life expectancy of over 12 years.

Lots of folks have difficulty with this idea, that the longer you live, the longer you are likely to live. Basically the answers work out that way because we are looking at the life expectancy only of those who have survived to that age. (Those who have died before would obviously bring the average life expectancy down.)

There may be similar sites for the US. Orb, hope this sort of info helps. You are not alone!

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

McCain's life expectancy at this point is less important than the fact he's showing signs of encroaching senility. His possible 'checking out' while in office would be far preferable to a slow decline into bumbling ineptitude just when we need someone with a full deck and the ability to shuffle it.

Who wants to see a government crisis over how to officially replace a mentally disabled [but living] President six months into his administration when fuel prices are hitting $5/gal, the economy continues a precipitous decline, ice shelves in the Antarctic are breaking off and "stop loss" in Iraq is becoming so desperate that the military draft is again being seriously considered?

I admire John McCain for his service to the nation. Hell, I was drinking beers in a Da Nang bar when he was relaxing at the Hanoi Hilton [and Kerry was dodging bullets on the Mekong]. McCain's sacrifice was far greater than mine, but the man's time has come and gone eight years ago. He is being sacrificed by the Republican Party in an election year that they expect to go Democratic. What else can be the legacy of the Bush failure? The Republicans have decided to dump George's myriad problems on the Dems in hope that they will fail and leave the door open for another GOP puppet in '12.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
McCain's life expectancy at this point is less important than the fact he's showing signs of encroaching senility.

I suppose this might be true, but isolated acts of forgetfulness aren't that significant on their own. However, on the specific mistake by McCain which triggered this, I'm not sure that forgetfulness was the problem. His behaviour seems more consistent with some genuine and persistent ignorance. (I've no doubt he has been briefed, but you know what it is like with briefs - some stuff sticks, other stuff doesn't). I find that possibility a lot more scary. But, like you, I find much in McCain's history of service which is admirable. I think he was, and is, brave.

I do hope you're right, that the GOP has gone for him because they see this election as a failure for them. More important, I do hope the GOP are right!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016