homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
I don't know what your confusion is. When it comes to the material in their act, comics are afraid of alienating their audience. It ain't very complicated.

Permission to speak frankly, Tom: your lack of confusion is troubling.

Confusion is all some of us have.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
Permission to speak frankly, Tom: your lack of confusion is troubling.

Confusion is all some of us have.

My lack of confusion may simply reflect a lack of insight. It wouldn't be the first time...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obama just seems so normal in comparison to the average politico. I know he's not, but its hard to find anything slightly salacious to focus on, except for the furtive smoking bit which isn't all that much.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
ISTM that the problem that comics are having is the same one that voters are having -- Obama is new enough to the political scene that most of us still don't quite know how to take him. Comedy depends on a shared view (stereotype) to play off.
--Tom Clune

I think you're on target--NPR did a piece a few months ago about a comedy troupe in Chicago, where Obama is a known quantity, who do a lot of jokes about him and feel quite comfortable with it. I couldn't locate the bit on the NPR website, unfortunately, but if you have more patience than I do, you might. I thought the jokes were funny. But then I thought the New Yorker cover was funny too. Leonard Pitts has an excellent column about it today. Is it possible to make the world safe for satire?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Is it possible to make the world safe for satire?

Probably not but I keep wondering if you can here unless you conform.

It could be I'm just not keeping up with things. [Hot and Hormonal]

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Is it possible to make the world safe for satire?

If it were safe, it wouldn't be satire.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you haven't already seen the latest JibJab election satire, "Time for Some Campaignin'" it can be found here. Posted 17 hours ago, it has over a million hits and counting - so may be slow responding for a couple days. These guys crack me up! Hilarious!

[ 17. July 2008, 01:56: Message edited by: Gort ]

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
If you haven't already seen the latest JibJab election satire, "Time for Some Campaignin'" it can be found here.

[Big Grin]

They're not not afraid to joke about Obama although it made me wonder if Hillary will run again in four years. [Two face]

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gort, that is TOO funny!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If you haven't already seen the latest JibJab election satire, "Time for Some Campaignin'" it can be found here. Posted 17 hours ago, it has over a million hits and counting

Well, it was all over the TV news last night. (Yeah, I watched network TV news last night. No, I don't feel good about it.)
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gort, my co-workers are now giving me some seriously weird looks as I chuckle like an imbecile. That was very funny!

More seriously...
I guess this issue will have been done to death, but is he buying the election?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's how it's done. Considering that the Republicans usually have the fund-raising advantage, I'm not concerned that Obama is raising so much cash. And read to the end of the article:

quote:
McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, said last week that the campaign, the national party and its state affiliates held a combined $102m at the end of June, or roughly $30m more than Obama and the Democrats. Only about $20m in party money can be spent in coordination with the presidential campaign.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Republican National Committee has finally discovered the intertubes! With creative juices no doubt dribbling all over their collectively sodden keyboards, a Facebook parody called BarackBook has been given comic birth. Revel in the biting satire here.

I'm kinda upset there's no 'friend request' (or comments) option - they're probably afraid the servers would crash under load.

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another interesting article from Washington Post

The classic conclusion: Obama is the perfect political package - but what's in it?

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

I can tell you what isn't in it: A foreign policy agenda completely defined by years of torture as a prisoner of war and the lingering guilt that he capitulated by admitting war crimes in Viet Nam.

[ 29. July 2008, 23:51: Message edited by: Gort ]

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by JB:
The classic conclusion: Obama is the perfect political package - but what's in it?

Good judgement. Inspiration. Ethics. Fresh ideas that aren't governed by the tired disputes of the baby boomer generation.

Yeah, I wish his resume was longer, too. But looking at the confusion that reigns on McCain's resume (and in his mind too, apparently), I'm okay with trusting Obama with the future of this country.

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I can tell you what isn't in it: A foreign policy agenda completely defined by years of torture as a prisoner of war and the lingering guilt that he capitulated by admitting war crimes in Viet Nam.

Amen. We don't need another LBJ, thinking that war is a virility test and pissing contest

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Good judgement. Inspiration. Ethics. Fresh ideas that aren't governed by the tired disputes of the baby boomer generation.

But on what are you basing these observations? His 200 days of actual service? Don't you feel like you're kind of sticking your neck out to just assume that he's going to be ethical? And what in the world has he had to practice any good judgement on? Unfortunately, all the great ideas in the world are going nowhere if one doesn't have the know-how and clout to turn them into realities.
quote:
Yeah, I wish his resume was longer, too. But looking at the confusion that reigns on McCain's resume (and in his mind too, apparently), I'm okay with trusting Obama with the future of this country.
So, once again, it's going to be voting for the lesser of two evils? I thought you guys said you weren't going to do that this time.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of us don't think McCain has good ideas, so irrespective of his political abilities, a McCain administration would be full of bad policies.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Good judgement.
Of course. Hanging around left wing American hating pastors and actual terrorists. How could I have missed that?

quote:
Inspiration.
Saying "change" every 30 seconds.

quote:
Ethics.
Trashing grandma is really ethical.

quote:
Fresh ideas
Excuse me? Recycled 70s ideas from Jimmy Carter.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NY,

I was expecting your next line to be "you know he's a secret Muslim too, don't you"??

Too much the Karl Rove playbook.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:
Good judgement.
Of course. Hanging around left wing American hating pastors and actual terrorists. How could I have missed that?
McCains good judgment: Proclaiming falsely, three times in two days that Iran is training al-Qaeda insurgents in Iraq.
quote:
quote:
Inspiration.
Saying "change" every 30 seconds.
McCain's inspiration: George Bush III
quote:
quote:
Ethics.
Trashing grandma is really ethical.
McCain's ethics: As part of the infamous "Keating 5", attempting to influence an investigation into the Lincoln Savings and Loan collapse on behalf of his "good friend" Charles Keating. McCain was let off with a slap on the wrist by the House Ethics Committee and McCain now says the affair was "the worst mistake of my life".
quote:
quote:
Fresh ideas
Excuse me? Recycled 70s ideas from Jimmy Carter.
McCain's fresh ideas: Recycled policies from the Bush administration.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ultra right winger trashes Democratic candidate. Film at 11. [Snore]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Do you have anything useful to add to this discussion? Or are you back in one-liner mode?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Do you have anything useful to add to this discussion? Or are you back in one-liner mode?

Testy, aren't we?

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

Am I the only one that thinks there might a little bit of something to this theory?

quote:
First, the media is at it again. By all rights, in at least three of the state primaries in the Democratic primary campaign, when Hillary Clinton should have been closed out on election night, the voters' perception of a media "bias" against Clinton and in favor of Obama actually helped sustain Clinton particularly among white females to enable her to fight on another day.

And now, that same media, still determined to elect Senator Obama, may actually be hurting him as a recent poll showed that 73% of those polled say the media is "favoring Obama over McCain." I believe that some of the rise in McCain's poll numbers reflect some backlash against the media in the same way that response actually helped Hillary in the later primaries.

I thought I probably was. [Biased]
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

A better question might be, are you the only one who gives much credence to polls? Carl Jeffers refers to "polls" 10 times in the article you linked. He must have found comfort in the recent USA Today/Gallup fix.
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
NY,

I was expecting your next line to be "you know he's a secret Muslim too, don't you"??

Too much the Karl Rove playbook.

Actually, no. I really don't know what his own religious beliefs really are, whether he has any or not. I think this way about everyone, but especially public figures. I think the whole "he's a Muslim" argument hurts McCain more than it hurts Obama.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:McCain's inspiration: George Bush III
Better Bush III than Carter II.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
A better question might be, are you the only one who gives much credence to polls?

I'm guessing we probably place about the same amount of weight on them. This poll and fifty cents and all that...

the point I was making is that the MSM ought to be embarrassed as hell to be in the tank for one candidate as much as they are, and it may yet bite them in the tender regions.

Tell me, Gort, in your heart of hearts: do you think Obama is getting just a bit of a pass?

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

No, I don't think Obama is getting a pass. The large corporate interests through their media holdings are attempting to give McCain a pass. Look at the number of idiot gaffes he makes and how much coverage they receive. The recent CBS edit of the Couric/McCain interview is a clue. If it weren't for the internet, you wouldn't have heard about it.
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Tell me, Gort, in your heart of hearts: do you think Obama is getting just a bit of a pass?

This question appears to confuse two things -- is he getting a lot of press coverage, and is the press particularly favorable. Obama has been getting an unusual amount of coverage. There was an interesting study done by an organization that was reported on PBS about this. It turns out that McCain and Hillary before him got on the high end of number of minutes of coverage for presidential candidates for this time in the presidential election relative to the last half-dozen presidential elections.

What was unusual was how much time was devoted to covering Obama. This is way off the charts. Now, if you are running against him, you may not be happy with that. But, ISTM, this is rather like all the coverge of Brangelina in the popular press. It is excessive, but it is hardly some evil plot by the press. We live in a celebrity-mad country. The press is just doing what it does in providing the meaningless coverage for our obsessions.

For folks who insist that the market is always right, there doesn't seem to be much room for honest complaint about this. For those of us who are less thrilled about unfettered and undirected mob stupidity, be it capitalism or news coverage, the picture may be less rosy.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
We live in a celebrity-mad country. The press is just doing what it does in providing the meaningless coverage for our obsessions.

I can't disagree. Is this the right time to point out I very much appreciate all these contributions to my thread? [Angel]

quote:
For folks who insist that the market is always right, there doesn't seem to be much room for honest complaint about this. For those of us who are less thrilled about unfettered and undirected mob stupidity, be it capitalism or news coverage, the picture may be less rosy.
That's an interesting take, given PBS has been quoted recently: not exactly the last bastion of 'free markets'.

And I don't know anyone who thinks markets either are 'free' or should be completely. It's a matter of degree.

RuthW

# 13

quote:

Why go with Gort's heart of hearts? There are actual numbers that show Obama isn't getting any kind of a pass.

quote:
The Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University, where researchers have tracked network news content for two decades, found that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Obama than on Republican John McCain during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign.

You read it right: tougher on the Democrat.

During the evening news, the majority of statements from reporters and anchors on all three networks are neutral, the center found. And when network news people ventured opinions in recent weeks, 28% of the statements were positive for Obama and 72% negative.

LA Times article here.

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
quote:

But on what are you basing these observations? His 200 days of actual service?
He did community organizing, he taught law school classes, and he served in the Illinois state senate before he was elected to the US senate. What more do you want him to have done?

quote:
Don't you feel like you're kind of sticking your neck out to just assume that he's going to be ethical?
No. The press and McCain's investigators would have found out by now if he had acted unethically in the past.

quote:
And what in the world has he had to practice any good judgement on?
Speaking out against the war in Iraq when 90% of the American people were for it and he was up for re-election is good enough for me.

quote:
Unfortunately, all the great ideas in the world are going nowhere if one doesn't have the know-how and clout to turn them into realities.
True, and if he had LBJ's length of service in the Senate we could be sure he had know-how and clout. I've conceded that I wish he had a longer resume. But McCain's got the long resume -- and he has changed his tune on so many things since the last time he ran for president, I have no idea what he really believes in, and he wouldn't know a good idea at this time if he met one on the street.

quote:
quote:
So, once again, it's going to be voting for the lesser of two evils? I thought you guys said you weren't going to do that this time.
Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. Saying that I wish Obama has a longer resume is not even close to viewing him as the lesser of two evils. He could be a stronger candidate, yes. But he's a good candidate, and I'm not choosing between two evils. I'm actually for someone, and that's the first time that's happened for me in any presidential election.
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
You read it right: tougher on the Democrat.

From someone who said this:

quote:
Conservatives have been snarling about the grotesque disparity revealed by another study,
Yeah, well, whatever.

My bias can beat up your bias.

RuthW

# 13

The commentary doesn't change the numbers in the study.
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
The commentary doesn't change the numbers in the study.

Do you really believe, in your heart of hearts, the numbers in the study should prevail?

This is probably the wrong thread for this discussion.

RuthW

# 13

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. But assuming that you're asking, Should we go by our subjective feelings about whether the media are favoring Obama or McCain rather than a study by a respected non-partisan organization? I'd say no.
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
I think that thickness of resume' proves nothing. We have had Presidents with a very thick resume': Nixon, Ford, LBJ. Thin resume': Reagan, Eisenhower.

Greta

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grits wrote:
quote:
But on what are you basing these observations? His 200 days of actual service?
Why do people act as if Senator Obama popped up out of nowhere in 2004? He spent eight years in the Illinois State Senate, which is hardly chopped liver.

I'm especially mystified that the TV pundits who suffer from Group Amnesia when it comes to that experience also tend to count themselves among the states' rights "I Hate the Feds" brigade.

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm actually for someone, and that's the first time that's happened for me in any presidential election.

That concerns me, because I still think it might be a subconscious knee-jerk reaction to a total Bush/Republican Party aversion. I mean, I honestly think that's how Bush got elected -- so many people were so disgusted by Clinton/Democrats that they would have voted for Alfred E. Neuman if he had been the 2000 Republican candidate.

I actually think Obama would be a fine president, because I think he'd be smart enough to know when to ask for help. I just think the job would be a whole lot harder for him than everyone seems to think.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I honestly think that's how Bush got elected -- so many people were so disgusted by Clinton/Democrats that they would have voted for Alfred E. Neuman if he had been the 2000 Republican candidate.

But I don't know about "so many" -- both 2000 and 2004 were squeakers. Indeed, more people voted against Bush in 2000 than for him.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Obama is here. We always hurt the one we love.
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
I think that there definitely could have been much worse choices for the Republican nomination, e.g., Mitt Romney.

Unfortunately, there are several Republicans who, in my opinion, would have been vastly preferable to McCain, e.g., Specter, Snow, Collins, Hagel, and Lugar. Bloomberg would be on the list also, although I think that he has departed from the Republican Party.

All of these people have, as far as I know, a much better record of pragmatic, bi-partisan solutions to fundamental problems, and as a bonus, they are not tainted by ethical scandals such as those that are part of McCaom's past.

Greta

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Indeed. The post-modern pragmatic propaganda perpetuated by pseudo-intellectual phonies in this presidential play perpetuates the paranoid paradigm of partisan politics preferred by pompous, pustulant, phychopissantposerpencilpushingPhht*xhpht&*p! x t@ 9tpht^%_:P
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Speaking out against the war in Iraq when 90% of the American people were for it and he was up for re-election is good enough for me.

I overlooked this yesterday: he deserves significant credit for such a contrary stance.
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
...and as a bonus, they are not tainted by ethical scandals such as those that are part of McCain's [typo edited by TC] past.

I find myself somewhat irritated by the way that the Keating 5 thing has been brought up WRT Sen. McCain, and that caught me a bit off-guard when I first had that reaction. I think what irritates me about it is that there are people who are intrinsically sleazy (Tom Delay might be a poster-boy for this type), and there are people who are defined by honor (Sen. McCain certainly is in the running for that poster).

While the Keating 5 thing was clearly a serious lapse in judgment of a relatively novice Senator, it is beyond my ability to see Sen. McCain as willfully selling out the interests of the country for his own benefit. But there seems to have emerged in this country a "fairness" standard that requires us to give the same benefit of the doubt to scum that we give to men of high moral fiber. How that amounts to "fairness" is more than I can fathom. It appears to be the case that we have decided to give all advantages to the lowest among us. I am hard-pressed to see this as anything but counterproductive.

I will almost assuredly vote for Sen. Obama in the election. But Sen. McCain is a man of stellar character, and has earned the right to our trust in all matters of public policy, or so ISTM. That doesn't mean that I agree with him on matters of policy -- just that I owe him the courtesy of recognizing his motives as being born out of his understanding of what constitutes the best interests of the United States.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:
I'm actually for someone, and that's the first time that's happened for me in any presidential election.

That concerns me, because I still think it might be a subconscious knee-jerk reaction to a total Bush/Republican Party aversion.
What exactly qualifies you to make comments about my subconscious?

I'm actually for the guy. Deal.

quote:
I mean, I honestly think that's how Bush got elected -- so many people were so disgusted by Clinton/Democrats that they would have voted for Alfred E. Neuman if he had been the 2000 Republican candidate.
If that were true, it would have been a clear victory, not a debacle decided by the Supreme Court.

About McCain's character -- I used to think what you think, tclune. I switched party registration in 2000 to vote for McCain in the primary because I thought (rightly, it appears) that it would be a travesty if Bush got the nomination. But if McCain were a man of stellar character, he wouldn't have changed his positions on things like the Bush tax cuts, offshore oil drilling, immigration, etc, and he would take a moral stance on torture. Furthermore, he wouldn't be airing an ad comparing Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton when he's talked on and on about running a respectful campaign on the issues.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where does this belief that McCain has massive honour rather than is simply a cut above the average senator come from? (And that's really setting the bar high). He's repeatedly been caught with his nose in the trough (not just Keating 5) and his treatment of his ex-wife was both poor and dishonourable (he cheated on her long before he divorced her)

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

quote:

I'll try. Just for you.

I'll also go ahead and make another amazingly insightful prediction by saying that I feel one must take into consideration that there is simply so much more on which to judge McCain than Obama, therefore leading to the qualitative conclusion that there would be more negative actions to take into account, as well. In other words, after Obama's been around a few more decades, I guarantee there will be more of his actions/decisions/mistakes that people will question and criticize, simply because there will be more.

Ta da!

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:

I'll try. Just for you.
You can do it, really, you can! After all, I have argued with others here in the office of the extra-crunchy liberal church, saying that when people who aren't financially well off vote Republican, it's not because they're too stupid to vote in their own best interest. (That is a kneejerk reaction, if you needed an example.)

quote:
I'll also go ahead and make another amazingly insightful prediction by saying that I feel one must take into consideration that there is simply so much more on which to judge McCain than Obama, therefore leading to the qualitative conclusion that there would be more negative actions to take into account, as well. In other words, after Obama's been around a few more decades, I guarantee there will be more of his actions/decisions/mistakes that people will question and criticize, simply because there will be more.
Let's go by percentages, then. What percentage of McCain's actions do you think have been right, good and just? What percentage of his current positions has he held consistently for the last 20 years? (Just 20 years to keep it fair, given that he's up against a much younger man and given that times and circumstances do change.)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016