homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 52)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
It is not yet official, but the networks are confidently reporting that the choice will be Sen. Biden. I am very pleased.

Greta

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Confirmed, and I'm pleased. Biden is an excellent choice as a foreign policy wonk. My only worry is that US voters (in the mass, not represented by the Ship sample) won't have the wit to see his quality.

This is important for the whole world, not just for the USA. In my lifetime, the worst disaster to befall the world, even more dreadful than the AIDS epidemic in Africa which is invisible to most folk in other continents, was SCOTUS' hi-jacking of the popular will in 2000.

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yet another one of my predictions bites the dust.

I give Obama credit for choosing a veep who is articulate and bright and clean. [Biased]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
and clean

I think that the VP has to be an American politician, so you're stuffed. Forget "American", you're still stuffed.

Joe Biden is less unclean than most alternatives.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
Joe Biden is less unclean than most alternatives.

He could be. <shrug>

For the Democrats sake I hope he can overcome the 'Al Gore/John Kerry Factor' of perceived conceit: I believe it plays poorly enough in Peoria to have been at least partially responsible for W, twice.

IMNSHO Obama has been quite a bit better than average in this regard so maybe it will rub off on Biden.

[acronym revision for clarity]

[ 23. August 2008, 12:37: Message edited by: mjg ]

Tembrina2
Shipmate
# 12300

- Posted      Profile for Tembrina2   Email Tembrina2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope one thing that gets publicized about Biden is his truly extraordinary work as a leader in the fight against domestic violence.

The Violence Against Women Act, which Biden guided through the Senate, is really one of the best pieces of legislation in recent history, a law that has done a huge amount to draw attention to the problem of domestic violence and provide concrete help to victims. Biden did an extraordinary job in getting this legislation passed, working incredibly effectively with Orin Hatch and other Republicans who were committed to addressing domestic violence. The technical sophistication of the original bill is great, and the subsequent versions pushed through by Biden in much more hostile Republican congresses are also quite good.

Many feminists should feel good about Biden. (I personally I lost faith in Hillary when she failed in getting health care through in 1993, and Biden's role in the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings was, admittedly not ideal.)

--------------------
Everyone wages two battles: in dreams,struggling with God and awake, with the sea.

Posts: 79 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From my blog:

I’m heartened to see that Barack Obama has chosen Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate. For I think this is bad tactical decision, wonderfully bad for those, like myself, rooting against Obama.

Biden has no constituency outside of Delaware as shown by his absurd runs for the presidency. He’ll bring almost no one on board the Messiah Train.

Worse, he has a long history of not shutting up, of self-destructive verbal gaffes. In fact, I advise prayer for him that he doesn’t commit one until after he’s nominated for Veep at the Democrat Convention. And I predict he’ll have a verbal gaffe during the campaign that will hurt Obama. You heard it here first.

Further, he’s a pro-abortion Catholic. That sort of hypocrisy and unfaithfulness rubs a lot of the American electorate the wrong way. And it will bring more attention to the abortion issue – a weak issue for Obama given his radical record and dissembling on the subject.

So I think Obama picking Joe Biden is a wonderfully self-destructive decision. I suspect that one day in illustrated Bibles, beside verses saying evil men fall into pits that they themselves dig, will be a photo of Barack Obama presenting Joe Biden as his running mate. [Smile]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
chadevan
Apprentice
# 12786

- Posted      Profile for chadevan   Email chadevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
From my blog:

I’m heartened to see that Barack Obama has chosen Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate. For I think this is bad tactical decision, wonderfully bad for those, like myself, rooting against Obama.

Biden has no constituency outside of Delaware as shown by his absurd runs for the presidency. He’ll bring almost no one on board the Messiah Train.

Worse, he has a long history of not shutting up, of self-destructive verbal gaffes. In fact, I advise prayer for him that he doesn’t commit one until after he’s nominated for Veep at the Democrat Convention. And I predict he’ll have a verbal gaffe during the campaign that will hurt Obama. You heard it here first.

Further, he’s a pro-abortion Catholic. That sort of hypocrisy and unfaithfulness rubs a lot of the American electorate the wrong way. And it will bring more attention to the abortion issue – a weak issue for Obama given his radical record and dissembling on the subject.

So I think Obama picking Joe Biden is a wonderfully self-destructive decision. I suspect that one day in illustrated Bibles, beside verses saying evil men fall into pits that they themselves dig, will be a photo of Barack Obama presenting Joe Biden as his running mate. [Smile]

Yeah, I guess being a pro-abortion Catholic could be seen as hypocritical--especially by all those REAL Catholics who follow Church teaching by being pro-Iraq war and pro-death penalty and anti-social safety net.

--------------------
Cast a cold eye
on life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!
--W.B. Yeats

Posts: 41 | From: Faulkner Country | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think calling Joe Biden a pro-abortion Catholic is highly specious. His opposition to making abortion generally illegal doesn't mean that he is "pro-abortion": that's just facile.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meh, VP choices don't really affect electoral outcomes. I thought Biden was a safe choice, he seems like a reasonable chap, with good foreign policy experience.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So he's one of those "personally opposed" Catholics politicians? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
So he's one of those "personally opposed" Catholics politicians? [Roll Eyes]

Well there is always this statement from Catholic Democrats, insisting that they are more Catholic than those nasty Republicans:

Catholic Statement

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
From my blog:

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
You are seriously uninformed. Biden helps in Pennsylvania, where he is originally from, where his family has deep roots, and where Delaware gets a lot of its media. He has pull in northeast Pennsylvania and can talk to the lunchbucket crowd there. He's been called Pennsylvania's third senator for quite a while.

quote:
He also had the best lines of the Democrats' debates, and I doubt he's stupid enough to fuck up this campaign.

quote:
A majority of American Catholics think abortion should be legal, and non-Catholics among the American electorate in general have no problem with Catholics who think independently of their church leaders.

Nobody is pro-abortion. Do try to absord that fact.

quote:
I suspect that one day in illustrated Bibles, beside verses saying evil men fall into pits that they themselves dig, will be a photo of Barack Obama presenting Joe Biden as his running mate. [Smile]
You can't get facts right, so you settle for bullshit.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Sen. McCain divorced and remarried. His secong wife's money comes from selling beer, and yet the McCain's claim to be SOUTHERN BAPTISTS!

Greta

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
From my blog:

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
You are seriously uninformed. Biden helps in Pennsylvania, where he is originally from, where his family has deep roots, and where Delaware gets a lot of its media. He has pull in northeast Pennsylvania and can talk to the lunchbucket crowd there. He's been called Pennsylvania's third senator for quite a while.

quote:
He also had the best lines of the Democrats' debates, and I doubt he's stupid enough to fuck up this campaign.

quote:
A majority of American Catholics think abortion should be legal, and non-Catholics among the American electorate in general have no problem with Catholics who think independently of their church leaders.

Nobody is pro-abortion. Do try to absord that fact.

quote:
I suspect that one day in illustrated Bibles, beside verses saying evil men fall into pits that they themselves dig, will be a photo of Barack Obama presenting Joe Biden as his running mate. [Smile]
You can't get facts right, so you settle for bullshit.

All that said I think two things are clear from this pick....

"Gravitas" and "Change"....

Barack H. Obama represents neither.

[Projectile]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow -- such a substantive contribution there, romanlion.

Honestly, though, I'm kinda bugged. The email came at 2:38 a.m. west coast time. I didn't get the news from the email; I got it from the radio before I turned on my computer. I really don't see the point of sending out a text or email in the middle of the night -- if they really wanted it to be exciting, they should have done it when people would be awake.

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

I stand corrected on Pennsylvania. And that is an important state.

I still think he will be a liability elsewhere.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to admit I'm a bit nonplussed. It does seem a rather 'safe' choice; almost a defensive one.

On the plus side, Biden brings foreign policy experience. I wasn't aware of his strong anti-domestic violence credentials as posted by Tembrina2, so I'm glad to hear that. But that's about all I can come up with for positives.

For negatives, I have to say that Biden doesn't actually look like 'change' to me. If Obama wins, he's pulled two senators out of the senate; I guess they must be fairly confident of those seats for the party, but it seems a possible risk. And, as St. Punk noted, he doesn't seem to bring much to the ticket from an electoral/constituency standpoint.

It also looks a bit like a defensive choice, as if feeling short on experience they have to go for someone fairly long in the tooth.

I suppose the choice can't really hurt (at least as compared to some that could have been made), but it is not exactly inspiring.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I stand corrected on Pennsylvania. And that is an important state.

Yeah, but Obama was already ahead in Pennsylvania. Get someone who can help in Ohio, and you're talking turkey.

quote:
I still think he will be a liability elsewhere.

Anyone can be.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

The Vice President is a strange office in American politics. In Canada, the equivalent office would be the Deputy Prime Minister. Aside from answering questions directed at the PM when he or she is not in the House, the Deputy PM really doesn't do anything.

Same as the VP. Putting aside the ceremonial duties (Officially presiding over the Senate, voting in case of a 50-50 tie), the VP really is an undefined office. There has been some strong VPs, (including Cheney). But the majority of VPs have just been in the background. I can't remember anytime (pre-Bush II) where the VP actually made an impact on anything major.

I think we can simply abolish the Vice Presidency altogether. If the President dies or is yanked from office, the Speaker can simply take his place.

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

I think we can simply abolish the Vice Presidency altogether. If the President dies or is yanked from office, the Speaker can simply take his place.

Not while Nancy Pelosi is speaker - that would never pass... In fact when one looks at a great number of speakers of the House, they don't represent the heart of American politics, but rather always the fringe elements.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
quote:

Not while Nancy Pelosi is speaker - that would never pass... In fact when one looks at a great number of speakers of the House, they don't represent the heart of American politics, but rather always the fringe elements.
I think Tip O'Neill would have made a fine President. And Nancy Pelosi is rather conservative according to her San Francisco constituents.

I would love a Pelosi presidency.

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You or I might love a Pelosi presidency but it's not going to happen. Tip O'Neil was a delightful character, but it seems to me he was accused of corruption. Newt Gingrich comes to mind as well...
[spelling again...]

[ 23. August 2008, 17:35: Message edited by: Comper's Child ]

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree there have been forgettable Vice-Presidents. All of FDR's VP's were nobodys except for Truman, who only got elected in 1944.

The problem is that the Presidency's rules of succession are more like a monarchy then a democracy. The President can only devolve power to the Vice-President, and then on down the line. If the Speaker or Presdient pro tem of the Senate does have to either be Acting President or President, they have to resign their legislative posts. In modern times a President usually invokes the 25th Amendment when he is placed under general anesthesia, so the VP gets to be President more often then the public thinks. Dick Cheney has exercised the Office of President twice for a day or so.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
Sen. McCain divorced and remarried. His secong wife's money comes from selling beer, and yet the McCain's claim to be SOUTHERN BAPTISTS!

Greta

Does it even matter in the court of public opinion? Most people seem to think the Bush family is likewise Southern Baptist, despite the fact that they belong to the exact same denomination as Hillary Clinton--probably the second most liberal mainline denom in the US.

If the present is a predictor of the future, then the two big issues that unite most conservatives under that big umbrella will still be unresolved issues in four or eight years, whether or not a Southern Baptist (even one who is on-again, off-again SB with former right coast Episcopalian tendencies) is in office.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
I agree there have been forgettable Vice-Presidents. All of FDR's VP's were nobodys except for Truman, who only got elected in 1944.

well, Henry Wallace wasn't a nobody and it was 1948 [Biased]

[ 23. August 2008, 18:09: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Greta

What does her family's income have to do with her personal attributes? I'm descended from horsethieves and bastards, and nobody's saying... oh wait.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well, strike that 2nd part (Vice Presidency vs Presidency) [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
quote:

I think Tip O'Neill would have made a fine President. And Nancy Pelosi is rather conservative according to her San Francisco constituents.

Justin,

they would see Mao as conservative [Smile]

--------------------

Mater et Magistra
Shipmate
# 9966

- Posted      Profile for Mater et Magistra   Email Mater et Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Roll Eyes] Do you actually know any real, live Catholics of the non-online variety? Honestly, about the only part of the American electorate that this "rubs the wrong way" is the overly-loud group of "Conservative Catholics" online (most of whom seem to have converted in from the more conservative end of Protestantism, and now pride themselves on being more Catholic than the Pope) and conservative evangelicals, all of whom seem to believe that being a Good Christian means being a Good Republican. That both groups have been suckered into believing that the Republicans give a shit about any life issues, and willingly overlook what the Church has to say on issues such as a living wage, healthcare, unjust war, the death penalty, etc., is a shame, and shows that they're the real hypocrites, but certainly doesn't mean that the rest of us Catholics, or any other significant group of Americans, for that matter, consider Biden to be hypocritical or unfaithful for being "pro-choice-while-personally-opposed".

Biden, with his blue-collar, Catholic roots, will be a good draw for those voters of similar background, many of whom were Hillary supporters in the primaries. I also can't wait to see him in debate, he's always knowledgable, frequently entertaining, and importantly, he's a hard-hitter: something Obama, for all his other strengths, isn't.

Posts: 110 | From: Northeastern U.S. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Vice President is a strange office in American politics.

FDR's first VP, John Nance Gardner is reported to have said that the Vice Presidency is "not worth a warm bucket of spit".

It is also noted that the media misspelled that last word of his quote.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
I have to admit I'm a bit nonplussed. It does seem a rather 'safe' choice; almost a defensive one.

On the plus side, Biden brings foreign policy experience. I wasn't aware of his strong anti-domestic violence credentials as posted by Tembrina2, so I'm glad to hear that. But that's about all I can come up with for positives.

For negatives, I have to say that Biden doesn't actually look like 'change' to me. If Obama wins, he's pulled two senators out of the senate; I guess they must be fairly confident of those seats for the party, but it seems a possible risk. And, as St. Punk noted, he doesn't seem to bring much to the ticket from an electoral/constituency standpoint.

It also looks a bit like a defensive choice, as if feeling short on experience they have to go for someone fairly long in the tooth.

I suppose the choice can't really hurt (at least as compared to some that could have been made), but it is not exactly inspiring.

I'm not too thrilled with Biden either (but better then the colorless Bayh) Richardson would have been a better choice byt Biden does have pull among blue collar voters (the Hillary factor) and among some of the Catholics in those constituencies.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Richardson would make an excellent VP, but he's a charisma-free zone. The VP doesn't have anything he really has to do but campaign for the ticket, and Biden will be much better in that role. Providing he doesn't put his foot in it, and yes, St. Punk, I'll be praying that he doesn't. [Razz]
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Wow -- such a substantive contribution there, romanlion.

Honestly, though, I'm kinda bugged. The email came at 2:38 a.m. west coast time. I didn't get the news from the email; I got it from the radio before I turned on my computer. I really don't see the point of sending out a text or email in the middle of the night -- if they really wanted it to be exciting, they should have done it when people would be awake.

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Ruth,

This a "round-the-clock" country. At 2:45 pm PT, lots of farmers are already up, as are tons of seniors, who are notoriously early risers. Meanwhile, on the west coast, vast numbers of young people are just beginning to think about sleep.

Greta

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you mean 2.45 a.m.? What are they -- fucking insomniacs? Yeah, 5.00 a.m. for your geriatrics, and 4.00 for ye olde farmers (of which my grandad was one and he certainly didn't get up at half two in the morning). OTOH, if you really did mean p.m. -- news flash, that's not particularly early.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this good or bad news for Hillary Clinton?
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But...is Biden "clean and nice looking"?
Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Sorry. I meant 2:40a.m. Pacific Time. That's 6:40 on the east coast, and 5:40 in much of the mid-west.

My 88 year old mother in Michigan is noisily eating breakfast with her dogs and cats at that hour, much to my annoyance when I visit her and am trying to sleep.

Greta

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:

guess who will be the first to say "I told you so" if Barack loses?

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GoodCatholicLad:
But...is Biden "clean and nice looking"?

Oh. Gawd. Joe 'Hairplugs' Biden.

He should shave his head, get a sick tat and an earring or two. The kids would vote like lemmings.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Sorry. I meant 2:40a.m. Pacific Time. That's 6:40 on the east coast, and 5:40 in much of the mid-west.

News reports said it went out just after 3 am eastern time; I was just reporting the time stamp on the email I received. (And the time difference between the coasts is three hours, not four.)

There's a funny montage on 236.com of clips from the CNN talking heads going nuts, waiting for the text.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sorry. I meant 2:40a.m. Pacific Time. That's 6:40 on the east coast, and 5:40 in much of the mid-west.[/QB]

Your math is off. 2:40 in Los Angeles is 5:40 in New York and 4:40 in Chicago.

It's 6:40 in New Brunswick, etc. But nowhere in the US.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
There's a funny montage on 236.com of clips from the CNN talking heads going nuts, waiting for the text.

Not sure whether [Killing me] or [Paranoid] but may God have mercy: talk about the lemming vote.
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I don't know if I already mentioned this but they have coined a name for the people that won't vote for Obie because of Clinton.....PUMAs for "Party Unity My Ass".

I sure hope that the Clinton PUMAs can get their heads out of their asses long enough to vote in their guy. Because he is their guy. If they lose because democrats can't stop bickering long enough to get their party in, I am done with them too. I am optimistic though that they will.

Biden: I was looking around to see his positions and found this old analysis to be rather amusing. On a scale of 0 (liberal) to 50 (conservative) Biden scored a 4.6. Damn, is he a democrats democrat apparently.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
I think calling Joe Biden a pro-abortion Catholic is highly specious. His opposition to making abortion generally illegal doesn't mean that he is "pro-abortion": that's just facile.

Thank you. Your post reminded me of a point I wanted to make, but I can explore more in DH if asked:

There is no such thing as 'pro-abortion'. I have never heard of anyone who actually thinks abortion is a *good idea*. What I am, what Biden is, and what pretty much everyone who wants abortion to remain legal is is 'pro-choice'. Meaning, we want a woman to be able to choose what is done with her body, whether she has a child or not. There is a difference.

Fact is, sometimes it has to be done to preserve the life of the mother. As much as we would like for the idea of an abortion to never even have been brought up, it has, and in some cases it is a necessary evil. But note the word *evil*.

[ 24. August 2008, 18:47: Message edited by: Sha_Sha ]

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6027 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God displeased with Democrats. Sends tornadoes to Denver area in preparation for cataclysmic display during outdoor DNC finale. Obama said to be marshalling charasmatic reserves for speech to stand-down divine forces. Thousands determined to withstand celestial armada.

Pictures at 11:00.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:

guess who will be the first to say "I told you so" if Barack loses?
So she wants him to lose to McCain so she can be the nominee in 2012? Although if her sour grapes looks to blame she probably won't be.

But if he beats McCain then she can't easily challenge him in 2012, he could win again and then she is probably out until 2020 by which time she is too old.

So she wants him to lose in such a way that her alleged lack of support is not considered to blame for it.

I don't understand why any genuine Hillary Democrat supporters would really prefer a McCain White House to an Obama/Biden one. On the issues like health care reform, foreign policy rather than the egos.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

I disagree with the notion that a Vice-Presidential selection is rather unimportant.

Fourteen V.P.s have gone on to be elected President, and while some Vice Presidents have been little more than ceremonial figures, others (and we could certainly start with the current V.P.) have been very influential.

Hopefully, those who intend to cast their ballots for a 72 year old will keep the above facts in mind when McCain announces his choice, a choice that I think Sen. Obama has now made considerably more difficult.

Greta

moron
Shipmate
# 206

This article is dated but an interesting glimpse into Biden's personality: a shoot from the hip type you'd like being around when you weren't wanting to strangle him.

I predict a more entertaining campaign. [Smile]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016